Jump to content

Céline Dion and the Paris 2024 Summer Olympic Games


Recommended Posts

Posted

 

 

Do we realise that its not Taylor Swift or Beyonce or Katy Perry or Lady Gaga or anyone elseits Celine that just pulled this off. The stage and the setting and the whole scene was just so Paris and so Celine.

 

Rene would have loved it.

 

And yet some of us were afraid Gaga would outshine Céline...

 

Well nobody is talking about the whole opening ceremony.

 

Rene would be soo proud. Don't think he would ever envisioned this!

 

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-F721B met Tapatalk

 

 

  • Like 3
Posted

 

 

 

 

And yet some of us were afraid Gaga would outshine Céline...

 

Well nobody is talking about the whole opening ceremony.

 

Rene would be soo proud. Don't think he would ever envisioned this!

 

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-F721B met Tapatalk

 

I don’t think anyone was worried about Gaga upstaging Celine, they just wanted Celine to perform alone. Lol

  • Like 1
Posted
And she did not just make the headlines... she is literally the banner story in major news outlets/sites! I don't think this has ever happened to her before.
  • Like 7
Posted

Per Variety Magazine:

 

The outdoor setting could present technical challenges but the organizers have limited risks of glitches by pre-recording the voices of all performers, including Dion’s, per Le Figaro. The immersive audio from the performances, meanwhile, will be produced through walls positioned along the Seine.

 

 

Posted

:wub:

Javascript is not enabled OR refresh the page to view

Click here to view the Tweet

 

Reflecting on her entire career and all she’s been through, what a surreal and magnificent moment this is. What a wonderful time for us fans too after some rough years.

  • Like 5
Posted

Oh cat lady !!!!!!!!

 

 

You can GO PISS UP THE EFFIEL TOWER now 🤣 you freak sandwich

 

Did she comment?

Matthew Charles - "Fix You" - Live at The Stonewall Inn

Stonewall Sensation - Season 15

Originally written and performed by Coldplay

Posted (edited)

I’m sorry if I offended you guys it was not my intention, we know she’s lipped over the years it’s no surprise so I don’t know why I was so surprised she did tonight! I’ll just go back to being grateful she even came to Paris to do any of this in the first place!

 

I’ve supported this forum since I was like 12yrs old, I’m now 29 so sorry for spoiling my return with a “s***” post. I just thought it was somewhere I could express an opinion with like minded people without being judged.

 

It’s just that there have been so many snide, negative comments and predisposition to minuscule disappointment. Rather than just reveling in the fact that Celine scratched her way back to the top to do this. For her, and for us. The complaints about rain, dirty lenses and lip syncing were just too trivial.

Edited by CelinesDIVO5
  • Like 3

Matthew Charles - "Fix You" - Live at The Stonewall Inn

Stonewall Sensation - Season 15

Originally written and performed by Coldplay

Posted

 

from the official Olympics channel...

sad they cut the orchestra intro

Posted

She’s probably bungy jumping from the Eiffel tower with that harness she had on.

 

The piano was soaked and poor Scott could see f*** all out of his glasses bless him with the rain… they had more than enough time with that pathetic torch tour to try and put some kind of cover over both of them for their performance.

 

It will go down in history as the most badly put together opening ceremony’s in history that’s for sure.

 

 

  • Like 1
Posted

As soon as I heard those strings of the introduction, my anus clenched…

 

I have…such visions.

  • Like 1

Matthew Charles - "Fix You" - Live at The Stonewall Inn

Stonewall Sensation - Season 15

Originally written and performed by Coldplay

Posted

 

 

I have…such visions.

 

lol tut-tut

  • Like 1
Posted

She’s arrived back at the hotel now

 

  • Like 6
EZRRIMBUMAEcL2n.jpg

Posted (edited)

https://www.theguard...olympics-review

 

 

Céline Dion at the Paris Olympics review – a dazzling and emotional return

 

Singer, who hasn’t performed onstage since 2020 as a result of her health, brought down the house with a breathtaking take on an Edith Piaf classic

 

5 stars out of 5

 

he casual sports fans of the world endured four hours of rambling, chaotic, rainy pomp and circumstance along the Seine on Friday evening for one reason: to possibly see Céline Dion return to the stage. The 56-year-old French Canadian singer has not performed in over four years, owing to a rare, incurable neurological disorder called stiff person syndrome. Despite struggling with uncontrollable muscle spasms extreme enough to break ribs, Dion, a true-blue born performer, promised to one day return. “If I can’t run, I’ll walk. If I can’t walk, I’ll crawl,” she said in her recent documentary I Am: Céline Dion. “And I won’t stop. I won’t stop.”

 

On a soggy Friday night in Paris, at the tail end of the Olympic opening ceremonies, Dion did more than just return – she triumphed. Bedecked in silver sparkles, accompanied by a rain-soaked piano on the steps of the Eiffel Tower, she not only sang Edith Piaf’s Hymne A L’Amour – which, truly, would have been more than enough – but performed it with the gusto of someone who, by her own admission, longs to resume touring more than her fans. If you have seen the documentary, then you know it is nearly impossible to fathom the amount of medicine and therapy, on top of bottomless grit and determination, required for Dion to retake the stage, let alone be the capstone performance at France’s Olympics, let alone do it well, with palpable, distinctive vocal power and without seeming to miss a note. She is, as pop singer Kelly Clarkson put it on the American NBC broadcast, a “vocal athlete”.

 

Dion, who perhaps more than any of her fellow 90s divas is attuned to the sweeping tides of feeling, naturally pulled every thread of longing, loss and resurgence from the 50s song, written by Piaf to a lover who died in a plane crash after it was first performed. Her rendition wisely favored her lower registers, though still projected from the Eiffel Tower’s stage as a bewitching, defense-melting spell.

 

Dion was the hard-earned crown jewel of a very waterlogged ceremony that got off to a lively – and temporarily dry – start with Lady Gaga’s interpretation of Zizi Jeanmaire’s Mon Truc En Plumes (My Thing with Feathers) along the banks of the Seine. Channeling a 60s French dance party in striking black and pink, accentuated by cheeky choreography and, naturally, some voluminous feather pom poms, the American singer paid direct homage to the French legend, who debuted the song in 1961. (Gaga paid prose tribute with context on social media, too – the pom poms were from the Le Lido archive, the costumes Dior and the saucy, beguiling attitude distinctly French. “Although I am not a French artist, I have always felt a very special connection with French people and singing French music,” she wrote. “I wanted nothing more than to create a performance that would warm the heart of France, celebrate French art and music, and on such a momentous occasion remind everyone of one of the most magical cities on earth – Paris.”)

 

The nearly three-hour parade of athletes along the Seine was punctuated by several high-energy performances celebrating French history and culture, including French Malian pop sensation Aya Nakamura, who strutted down the Pont des Arts, a bridge linking the Institut de France to the Louvre, for a gilded, if a little unsteady, performance of Pookie and Djadja on a water-slicked stage. Gojira, France’s greatest metal band, remixed the French revolutionary anthem Ah! Ça Ira, along with opera singer Marina Viotti and the Paris symphony orchestra, for one of the most rousing, edgy performances of the evening, incorporating choristers dressed as beheaded Marie Antoinettes and the famous aria from Georges Bizet’s Carmen: L’amour est un oiseau rebelle. And Juliette Armanet sang a delicate version of John Lennon’s Imagine aboard a barge shaped like igneous rock, accompanied by a pianist whose pyrotechnics, as seen through a rain-splashed camera, made the whole thing look like a blurry ball of fire.

 

But no one held a candle to Dion, who seemed, in the final minute of her undaunted, beatific return, to nearly burst into tears at the momentously emotional occasion. She held it together; I did not – nor, I expect, did any viewer who knows what she’s overcome to sing again.

Edited by Critiaslux
  • Like 5
Posted
The irony is that at the time Celine performed at the Atlanta Olympics, she called it the pinnacle of her career. Tonight we see the full arc of her career.
  • Like 5
Posted

 

It will go down in history as the most badly put together opening ceremony’s in history that’s for sure.

 

It was very disappointing the opening ceremony. Beijing, Rio and London were far superior. But the Celine part was flawless, the highlight of it all.

  • Like 1
Posted (edited)
Posted (edited)

https://www.instagra...Wp3d3ZqcHEwZQ==

The way that whole Paris is surrounded by the beautiful voice of Celine…How amazing is it?��❤️❤️

 

Love this. Feels even more epic with her voice echoing across the city and with the crowd cheering.

 

Curious to see more phone recordings from the crowd, might be even better than the official broadcast

Edited by rpopowski
  • Like 2
Posted

The AMAs in 2015 were just 2 months before Rene passed I am sure she was dealing with so much then, including SPS. Can totally understand why that performance wasn't the best.

 

There is no words on how wonderful it is to see her on stage again. She deserves this. Rene and her mom and dad are so proud right now.

  • Like 6

'I am, in life and death, the woman of only one man.'

Celine Dion My Story, My Dream

Posted
Celine tonight...she deserves all the praises coming from all around the world! ❤️ She's been i the business for 43 years and she still reigns, despite her ilness. She is recognized as a GOAT by so many generations of people from all the corners of the world! We love you Celine ❤️❤️❤️
  • Like 5
Posted (edited)

Love her but disappointed in a few things….

 

The dirty camera lenses with horrible angles of the performance

 

Even non Céline fans could tell this was lipped

 

And that bloody bun again despite having what appears to be new longer extensions

 

Outfit was nice though… I just expected more from this performance after all the rehearsals.

 

Anyways… that’s done now onto Vegas :)

I totally agree! Glad to see I'm not alone here being dissapointed... the bun, the Piaf's song itself, the obvious lipping... meh.

Edited by GoldenLeaf
normal_one-heart-7.jpg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...