CelinesDIVO5 Posted August 6, 2024 at 04:38 PM Posted August 6, 2024 at 04:38 PM JLO would have made an entire documentary about the process And nobody would have watched it lol. 2 Quote https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL54qnRGM2gMatthew Charles - "Fix You" - Live at The Stonewall InnStonewall Sensation - Season 15Originally written and performed by Coldplay
scielle Posted August 6, 2024 at 04:50 PM Author Posted August 6, 2024 at 04:50 PM Should have stayed then! Javascript is not enabled OR refresh the page to viewClick here to view the Tweet 7 Quote
MaiconSC Posted August 6, 2024 at 05:05 PM Posted August 6, 2024 at 05:05 PM Should have stayed then! Javascript is not enabled OR refresh the page to viewClick here to view the Tweet she has to rehearse for Vegas 1 Quote
MaiconSC Posted August 6, 2024 at 05:08 PM Posted August 6, 2024 at 05:08 PM Should have stayed then! Javascript is not enabled OR refresh the page to viewClick here to view the Tweet THE QUEEN How can a person do not love her??? and she saying "I don't want to desapoint them"... I just give her a hug and say that she's more than we'll ever deserve! 4 Quote
smw Posted August 6, 2024 at 05:40 PM Posted August 6, 2024 at 05:40 PM Should have stayed then! Javascript is not enabled OR refresh the page to viewClick here to view the Tweet This makes me want another documentary of these more recent moments… the journey to the Olympics and back to Vegas. Even if it’s just a little series on her YouTube channel. 5 Quote
Shamrock_1982 Posted August 6, 2024 at 05:41 PM Posted August 6, 2024 at 05:41 PM More of these types of videos please 6 Quote
Peppercorn1991 Posted August 6, 2024 at 05:42 PM Posted August 6, 2024 at 05:42 PM Love this post by Celine!! So personal for once!! Kev x 4 Quote
lyn Posted August 6, 2024 at 06:26 PM Posted August 6, 2024 at 06:26 PM Should have stayed then! Javascript is not enabled OR refresh the page to viewClick here to view the Tweet Too sweet 🥹 I love her so much. And it’s so nice to see her sincerity in that moment… and so quickly after the moment! Usually her perspective is heard years later in a doc or something 😅 1 Quote Philadelphia, PA, Sept 5 2008.New York, NY, Sept 16 2008, Madison-Freaking-Square Garden.
Shaun Posted August 6, 2024 at 06:29 PM Posted August 6, 2024 at 06:29 PM Yeah brilliant little insight there. Quote Bringing you the world's only Celine Dion podcast show since 2014.Find us on Soundcloud, Apple Podcasts, Spotify & Amazon Music.
lyn Posted August 6, 2024 at 06:32 PM Posted August 6, 2024 at 06:32 PM Mm stealth advert there too for Haribo Tagada lol, if Celine likes em I’m off to get some 😄 Quote Philadelphia, PA, Sept 5 2008.New York, NY, Sept 16 2008, Madison-Freaking-Square Garden.
smw Posted August 6, 2024 at 06:51 PM Posted August 6, 2024 at 06:51 PM Even though I wish it had been uploaded immediately, I still hope Celine’s team is able to upload her Olympics performance to her channels. Then they can get the BATB and BYLM videos uploaded to YouTube too. Quote
mirage Posted August 6, 2024 at 06:52 PM Posted August 6, 2024 at 06:52 PM https://www.instagram.com/reel/C-VsNICIBp8/?igsh=dDFjYjlqejcydnh3 Wish they would upload more of these videos!!I was hoping that it would switch to what she was filming! Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-F721B met Tapatalk 1 Quote
scielle Posted August 6, 2024 at 07:43 PM Author Posted August 6, 2024 at 07:43 PM Haha, Kasia Gruchalla-Wesierski from Canada's rowing team is such a fan! https://www.instagram.com/p/C-VNQ--MgaL/ (Recall she's the one who posted this when Celine's involvement was still a rumour and she had commented with lots of love on various posts of Celine singing at the opening.) Kasia & team won silver in women's 8 rowing. 4 Quote
lyn Posted August 6, 2024 at 08:57 PM Posted August 6, 2024 at 08:57 PM (edited) https://www.instagram.com/reel/C-VsNICIBp8/?igsh=dDFjYjlqejcydnh3 Wish they would upload more of these videos!!I was hoping that it would switch to what she was filming! Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-F721B met Tapatalk Wait how come this isn’t on Celine’s own IG? Agh do i have to get on X now 😅 Edited August 6, 2024 at 08:58 PM by lyn Quote Philadelphia, PA, Sept 5 2008.New York, NY, Sept 16 2008, Madison-Freaking-Square Garden.
mirage Posted August 6, 2024 at 09:02 PM Posted August 6, 2024 at 09:02 PM More of these types of videos please Big time! Let John know!Anyway, I see that they posted this video in the official Céline Dion Fan Group. Isn't this the first time in a loooong time that they use that group for such things? Funny that it isn't on her Instagram yet. Maybe someone else has access to that account. Or they are seriously using different posts on different media's. Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-F721B met Tapatalk Quote
scielle Posted August 6, 2024 at 10:21 PM Author Posted August 6, 2024 at 10:21 PM A couple more photos from Laura Gilli: https://www.instagram.com/p/C-WD8tbIBAj/?igsh=MTVydmc4YzlvZ3I0bA== Quote
Jeanette Posted August 6, 2024 at 10:39 PM Posted August 6, 2024 at 10:39 PM (edited) A couple more photos from Laura Gilli: https://www.instagram.com/p/C-WD8tbIBAj/?igsh=MTVydmc4YzlvZ3I0bA== She looks stunning here, I love these kind of natural photos of her, bless her. However, you can clearly see her right hand looks really puffy/swollen, I’m assuming it’s due to her treatments. I thought it looked swollen in the other pic that was posted on her socials after her performance when she’s making the heart sign with her hands but wasn’t 100% sure there but this photo just confirms it. It brings home that she’s not out of the woods and yet here we are questioning when we’ll get a Vegas announcement 😢 Edited August 6, 2024 at 10:53 PM by Jeanette 1 Quote
Céline RO Posted August 7, 2024 at 05:17 AM Posted August 7, 2024 at 05:17 AM She looks stunning here, I love these kind of natural photos of her, bless her. However, you can clearly see her right hand looks really puffy/swollen, I’m assuming it’s due to her treatments. I thought it looked swollen in the other pic that was posted on her socials after her performance when she’s making the heart sign with her hands but wasn’t 100% sure there but this photo just confirms it. It brings home that she’s not out of the woods and yet here we are questioning when we’ll get a Vegas announcement 😢 I wouldn’t have even noticed it if you hadn’t pointed it out. Let’s not worry when Céline herself told us it’s safe to be happy and optimistic now. Quote The best is yet to come...
LukeD Posted August 7, 2024 at 09:34 AM Posted August 7, 2024 at 09:34 AM (edited) She hasn't sung most of her English discography live at concerts ever since the late 90's, as you know. If not: open YouTube university to your very delight and check out the insane corpus of evidence there. Céline Dion is FAR from stupid. Moreover, she's highly opportunistic when it comes to filling in the discrepancies between her actual vocal capabilities and what she assumes 'the audience' expects from her.Lipping the most anticipated performance of her career is no exception. I, for one, and I'm not alone in this, against the preferred communis opinio of dilettantes on this forum, am NOT convinced that all vocals are 'new'.I find it very amusing that you feel superior enough to signpost ME to YT to 'educate' myself when I know EVERYTHING about Celine's lipping habits a good 15 years now. Also amusing the attempt at belittling with reference to 'dilettantes'. A comment that was of course liked by Javito - the forum ghost that I have blocked from all social media accounts, but STILL feels the need to be visiting my CDF profile every now and then, and like all the infrequent comments that happen to disagree with me. Talk about some serious fixation right there! And what a trainwreck of a thread this has been! Because of very specific members. As always. Anyways fellow Celniacs, I am on holidays and will get back to the forum in September. Au revoir! Edited August 7, 2024 at 09:35 AM by LukeD Quote
scielle Posted August 7, 2024 at 10:38 AM Author Posted August 7, 2024 at 10:38 AM Nice article from the Globe & Mail:Javascript is not enabled OR refresh the page to viewClick here to view the Tweet 4 Quote
Philippe Posted August 7, 2024 at 12:53 PM Posted August 7, 2024 at 12:53 PM I love how when I gather with people (either friends or in professional setting), people talk about the Olympics and Celine is always mentioned. The impact of that performance is long and lasting! 4 Quote
scielle Posted August 7, 2024 at 01:22 PM Author Posted August 7, 2024 at 01:22 PM Interesting that Irene wasn't aware of the Olympic discussions. In the recent interview I had posted in the IACD thread (here), she says she thinks it all came up after the film, while we know from interviews with Thomas Jolly's team that they've been in conversations with Celine's camp for about a year. Quote
Jeanette Posted August 7, 2024 at 05:24 PM Posted August 7, 2024 at 05:24 PM I wonder if she really didn’t know though or is she just saying so but this would explain why she didn’t congratulate Celine on her performance publicly as I must admit, I was surprised not to see any comments from her on this. Perhaps she was a bit upset that she wasn’t brought into the circle of trust this time. Quote
scielle Posted August 7, 2024 at 05:31 PM Author Posted August 7, 2024 at 05:31 PM I wonder if she really didn't know though or is she just saying so but this would explain why she didn't congratulate Celine on her performance publicly as I must admit, I was surprised not to see any comments from her on this. Perhaps she was a bit upset that she wasn't brought into the circle of trust this time.I didn't expect any reaction from her on social medial. She was hired for a particular job, and her IG posts rarely relate to anything other than her projects. 1 Quote
Ororo Munroe Posted August 7, 2024 at 10:34 PM Posted August 7, 2024 at 10:34 PM I didn't expect any reaction from her on social medial. She was hired for a particular job, and her IG posts rarely relate to anything other than her projects. I don't understand, it was the perfect time to release "l'hymne à l'amour", it's her rebirth and it's iconic. It could have been a huge success abroad.. 2 Quote
scielle Posted August 7, 2024 at 10:56 PM Author Posted August 7, 2024 at 10:56 PM I don't understand, it was the perfect time to release "l'hymne à l'amour", it's her rebirth and it's iconic. It could have been a huge success abroad..?I don’t follow. What does that have to do with Irene’s social media activity? Quote
Ororo Munroe Posted August 7, 2024 at 11:07 PM Posted August 7, 2024 at 11:07 PM ?I don’t follow. What does that have to do with Irene’s social media activity? Excuse me but it's the Olympic topic Quote
scielle Posted August 7, 2024 at 11:08 PM Author Posted August 7, 2024 at 11:08 PM Haha, Kasia Gruchalla-Wesierski from Canada's rowing team is such a fan! https://www.instagram.com/p/C-VNQ--MgaL/ (Recall she's the one who posted this when Celine's involvement was still a rumour and she had commented with lots of love on various posts of Celine singing at the opening.) Kasia & team won silver in women's 8 rowing. … and she even went to the Dior Gallery to see the dress! 😁 https://www.instagram.com/stories/therealkasiagw/3429394020280102388?igsh=aDBoZHZzZmE5Z3Ro Anyway, Billboard at least has HAL on their list (unlike Rolling Stone 🙄)Javascript is not enabled OR refresh the page to viewClick here to view the Tweet 2 Quote
Nmj Posted August 8, 2024 at 12:55 AM Posted August 8, 2024 at 12:55 AM Article from The New Yorker https://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/celine-dion-goes-on?fbclid=PAZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAaZs_NmJiodXCIUZo_792NouF3QZdOyLycblfe6fqrs_MtSKF3_TepO2ekQ_aem_x2wl9TIcZDSbvplxpA3qbA Céline Dion Goes OnViewers of the new documentary “I Am: Celine Dion” know just how hard-won the pop superstar’s rumored comeback at the Olympics would be.By Lauren Collin’s On Monday afternoon, a Bombardier BD-700 jet took off from a Las Vegas airport and landed in Paris at 11:11 a.m. Tuesday with Céline Dion inside. Hours later, the Canadian pop superstar was spotted at Le Royal Monceau hotel. “céline dion makes her arrival in paris ,” Gala magazine announced, allowing itself to draw the conclusion that Dion would be participating, as rumored, in the Olympics opening ceremony, on Friday. There’s been a sluggish, slightly sour feeling in Paris during the lead-up to the Games, but Dion’s arrival—the opening ceremony to the opening ceremony, one could say—brought a frisson of excitement. Suddenly, it seemed as though things were kicking off. That same evening, the French President Emmanuel Macron appeared on television for his first interview since the snap legislative elections that he called last month. Unsurprisingly, his interlocutors really wanted to know about Dion. “Will she participate in the ceremony?” one of the presenters asked, in what was probably the liveliest exchange of the entire broadcast. “That would be terrific news,” Macron replied. “Because she’s an immense artist, and I would be immensely happy, like all our countrymen, if she could be at the opening ceremony.” Noting Macron’s teasing use of the conditional tense, the presenter pressed for a confirmation, but the President demurred. “I’m not in charge” of the agenda, Macron said, grinning. “But it would be terrific.” Viewers of the new documentary “I Am: Celine Dion” know just how terrific it would be. If you’ve heard anything about the film, you’ve probably heard about a scene in which Dion, in the throes of a medical emergency, lies immobilized on a massage table, keening like a wounded animal as a full-body convulsion essentially turns her flesh to stone. Her extremities curl and splay. Her face is a mask of pain from the glabellar lines to the eyeballs, locked in a sideways gaze. Viewers have learned earlier in the film that Dion is suffering from stiff-person syndrome, a little-understood neurological disease that can cause spasms so powerful that they break bones. The physical agony of the moment is compounded by a dramatic irony: episodes such as the one Dion is experiencing can be triggered by sensory stimuli, such as the recording session she has just completed after years of struggling to sing. The scene is horrible, full of bleak symmetries. The Queen of Power Ballads is now the subject of her illness—stricken and isolated, with her famously mellifluous voice emitting involuntary, atonal moans. Dion is brave to let us see her like this. Her lack of vanity is as unforgettable as her courage. Throughout the film, she appears, puffy and barefaced, in a parade of anti-lewks: saggy T-shirts, scraped-back hair, picked nails. She was once a serious clotheshorse. Now getting dressed up means slinging a Chanel cell-phone purse over a white button-down. Her Las Vegas home is succumbing to the detritus of the unwell—water bottles, stacks of pills. The film, directed with great subtlety by Irene Taylor, doesn’t tell us whether to read Dion’s transformation as a liberation from form or a sign of depression, but a trip to a hangar that houses her archive reminds viewers that it was not always thus. Dion walks lovingly through aisles of garments and accessories, pausing to deliver a monologue about how she can fit into any shoe she loves, no matter its size. “I walk the shoe, the shoe don’t walk me,” she declares, in what has to be the greatest bit of shopping-related cinema since Julia Roberts’s “Pretty Woman” spree. She soon turns to a heavily embroidered jacket in gold brocade, explaining that she had a special shirt made to go under it, permitting the chic of cuffs without the encumbrance of sleeves. “It’s a snap-on, it’s a snap-out, it’s a big zipper . . . and it’s a flap, and it’s a Velcro, but none of that shows,” she says. “None of that shows. And that’s the magic of show business, but, if I may say, I think we did create our own magic.” Cut to Dion as we once knew her—the fist-pumping, shoulder-shimmying, mike-stand-twirling, air-guitaring, pose-striking diva in a lacquered bouffant and black catsuit, scatting along with the band in a flagrant show of virtuosity. She always had a somewhat goofy physicality and an even goofier personality, parodied to great effect by Ana Gasteyer on “Saturday Night Live” and by Dion herself. (Vice has called her the “patron saint of being weird as hell and loving yourself anyway.”) In the film, Dion comes across as a true show-biz dork, the musical equivalent of a book lover who will read absolutely anything, down to the label on a shampoo bottle. She is constantly bursting into song at the slightest provocation. At one point, her physical therapist gently chides her for forgetting to apply a cream to her feet. “Give me a break!” she says, and starts belting out the Kit Kat jingle. Another time, she’s explaining the impact that S.P.S. has had on her ability to sing. “When I try to breathe, my lungs are fine. It’s what’s in front of my lungs that’s so rigid,” she says, then attempts a strangled version of Foreigner’s “I Want to Know What Love Is”: I know you can show me. By the end of the line, Dion is weeping. “That’s what happens, and it’s very difficult for me, to hear that, and to show this to you,” she says. We understand that we’re seeing the innards of her soul, the golden jacket flung open. The scene that grabbed my heart and wouldn’t let it go, even more so than the others, was relatively quiet. “Before I got really hit with S.P.S, my voice was the conductor of my life,” Dion says, matter-of-factly. “I was following it.” In a typical celebrity bildungsroman, this would be a confessional moment when the star acknowledges the totalizing effect of great talent and vows to find out who she is away from the mike. But Dion takes a nostalgic tone. Her husband, René Angélil, died in 2016. Her boys are getting older (although Nelson and Eddy, preadolescent twins, were still young enough to appreciate a milkshake delivered on a literal platter by a butler named Mr. Barrington). Her voice has been her great companion, her lifetime roommate, before it started acting erratically and trashing the place. Dion shakes her head fondly, and the corners of her eyes crinkle up, as though in sweet remembrance. It was then that it hit me that “I Am: Celine Dion,” which was filmed in the midst of covid shutdowns, is a pandemic movie, a portrait of a bereft human being struggling to accept an earthshaking new reality. “I think I was very good,” Dion says, speaking of herself in the past tense. “I think I had some stuff that was amazing.” Grief suffuses the atmosphere. “Who’s Céline Dion?” she asks. “Céline Dion is the one who sang, ‘All by myself anymore,’ did the highest note ever, and whatever. She’s the best.” Who’s Céline Dion? She’s the artist whom Céline Dion the person is mourning. Throughout her career, Dion has faced criticism for being too saccharine, too formulaic, not sophisticated enough or sufficiently in charge of her creative output. Taylor’s film should put these assessments to rest forever. “I Am: Celine Dion” is the most intense portrait of an authentic artist I’ve seen—an “Agony and the Ecstasy” for the adult-contemporary age, a “Mystery of Picasso” set in the sick chambers of a mega-mansion in a Vegas suburb called Marseilles. Dion lives to sing. When she lost her voice, she died. If she does make a comeback on Friday on the Seine, there will be a lot of people cheering, with new respect, for her return to life. ♦ 1 Quote
scielle Posted August 8, 2024 at 02:37 AM Author Posted August 8, 2024 at 02:37 AM (edited) Article from The New Yorker https://www.newyorke...cZDSbvplxpA3qbA Céline Dion Goes On LOL isn't this the same article from a week and a half ago that use to be called "Celine May Never Sing Again", and they just keep changing the title because they've now realized she will? Edit: Oh never mind, that was The Atlantic. It was initially titled "Celine's Grief" when I first read it, and by the time I posted it here it had changed titles to "Celine May Never Perform Again" - which I found odd because at that point her Olympic performance was pretty much an open secret?But my bad, the New Yorker article is unchanged. Love to see so much thoughtful coverage though! Edited August 8, 2024 at 02:42 AM by scielle Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.