Popular Post scielle Posted July 28, 2024 at 06:29 AM Author Popular Post Posted July 28, 2024 at 06:29 AM (edited) Well, I got a little sick from standing wet and cold in the rain all day on Fri and again yesterday (at rowing, canoeing and kayaking) but man, Celine really did save that ceremony, didn't she.I'm of course very glad I got a free spot to watch it alongside the river, but if I paid any money for that I'd be asking for a refund.As someone who watched every Olympic opening since 1992 (and participated in one), this was really underwhelming. Perhaps it played better on TV and I need to give it another watch, but in person, we basically just stood in the rain watching the same broadcast you all were on TV, with a side of boats going by. By the time they got to where I was at (almost at the end, by the tower), the athletes were soaked and probably just as miserable as the rest of us.The riverside broadcast was a straight feed with no commentary, so I still don't know what some of that was about (The minions? Don't know who the rapper in red was or the Imagine singer... and also, can we please put a moratorium on that song? It made sense in London, but here? Just such an eye roll moment. It's so overdone. I don't need a 400th cover of it.)When that song finished, by the way, a lot of people around me didn't know there's a whole protocol section to come and assumed we're nearing then end, so started chanting "Celine! Celine!" It was a little wait still, of course, but basically at every lull in the action they'd chant her name, getting impatient. And when she did appear, you could hear a pin drop. Unfortunately I couldn't see much of anything because the people in front insisted on still having their umbrellas out (even though it was just spitting at that point). But it was still great to be there.So seeing all the media reviews basically lead with Celine's comeback, and saying things like "Celine saved that", "fast forward straight to Celine", "Celine was the reward for anyone who suffered through 4 hours of that"... well, that's how it felt being there in person. And what I really took away from that is Celine is such a unifying force. Praise from fellow music legends (say, Anne Murray or Nancy Sinatra), or athletes (say tennis legend Chris Evert) or other pop culture icons (say comedy legend Eric Idle, of Monty Python, whom you might remember him from the London opening), to politicians of all stripes (comments form Justin Trudeau were not surprising, of course, but also in the US - like senators and former presidential candidates on opposite ends of the political spectrum - Mitt Romney and Amy Klobuchar - or White House Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre). How many entertainers can do that?(Well, apparently Rolling Stone believes there are at least 200 others who can...) Javascript is not enabled OR refresh the page to viewClick here to view the TweetJavascript is not enabled OR refresh the page to viewClick here to view the TweetJavascript is not enabled OR refresh the page to viewClick here to view the TweetJavascript is not enabled OR refresh the page to viewClick here to view the TweetJavascript is not enabled OR refresh the page to viewClick here to view the TweetJavascript is not enabled OR refresh the page to viewClick here to view the TweetJavascript is not enabled OR refresh the page to viewClick here to view the TweetThere are so many positive comments flowing in of course, it's impossible to keep track of it all. But the notable thing to me is that it really is from all corners. Celine touches all. (And also, I can't believe I'm still reading comments on here about her bun. Like, seriously people. WTF?) Edited July 28, 2024 at 06:37 AM by scielle 14 Quote
rpopowski Posted July 28, 2024 at 06:33 AM Posted July 28, 2024 at 06:33 AM Funny bit here: on her way out of the hotel, she helps fan take photo by taking over his phone lol 3 Quote
jpatdeleon09 Posted July 28, 2024 at 06:33 AM Posted July 28, 2024 at 06:33 AM (edited) Bun bun bun bunnnnnnn lol I guess some have OCness with the hair. Me with the eyebrows haha but in seriousness I’m glad Sofia Tilbury did an amazing job making Celine looked gorgeous that night. I hope they work together more Edited July 28, 2024 at 06:35 AM by jpatdeleon09 2 Quote
scielle Posted July 28, 2024 at 06:52 AM Author Posted July 28, 2024 at 06:52 AM Oh and PS, so sad she already left. I really hoped she'd go to some events, enjoy the magic that are the Olympics, that she'd reconnect with Hoda and Adrienne, who are both here, that she'd visit with Team Canada. She's having such a moment, and it's a pity to not see her take advantage of it. But I guess last week was a lot for her, and rightfully, the spotlight now belongs to the athletes (it was really annoying to see Ariana and Cyntia Erivo here just for show and to promote their movie on Fri, their "red carpet" turn didn't sit well with people at all). 1 Quote
marc-02 Posted July 28, 2024 at 07:05 AM Posted July 28, 2024 at 07:05 AM (edited) Someone put the 2015 and 2024 performances side by side: https://www.facebook.com/share/v/ueEhRMVTYWQgurd8/?mibextid=D5vuiz Is it just me, or I think this video would support others' claim that the Olympics performance was just the 2015 performance but pitch corrected in places, and moved around a bit here and there... the phrasing, her breathing, and vocal styling seem to match. But either way, even if it is the 2015 vocals... I actually am happy about it! Because since that AMA performance I've always wanted someone (a fan or a music engineer) to pitch correct that performance so we get to experience the song as intended, in its almost pitch perfect version. Edited July 28, 2024 at 07:12 AM by marc-02 1 Quote
Critiaslux Posted July 28, 2024 at 07:10 AM Posted July 28, 2024 at 07:10 AM I wonder if they are reworking it to include the stunning Eiffel Tower visuals. I wonder as Gaga's performance in already on her youtube page.So, fingers crossed 1 Quote
Ajax Posted July 28, 2024 at 07:17 AM Posted July 28, 2024 at 07:17 AM Someone put the 2015 and 2024 performances side by side: https://www.facebook.com/share/v/ueEhRMVTYWQgurd8/?mibextid=D5vuiz Is it just me, or I think this video would support others' claim that the Olympics performance was just the 2015 performance but pitch corrected in places, and moved around a bit here and there... the phrasing, her breathing, and vocal styling seem to match. But either way, even if it is the 2015 vocals... I actually am happy about it! Because since that AMA performance I've always wanted someone (a fan or a music engineer) to pitch correct that performance so we get to experience the song as intended, in its almost pitch perfect version. Ugh. The key is different the breathing is different in some points, prononciation is different, tone is different, she even mistaken a word in 2015, length of some notes are different. This comparison needs to stop. And Celine would never accept to fool people this way 4 Quote
jpatdeleon09 Posted July 28, 2024 at 07:30 AM Posted July 28, 2024 at 07:30 AM Charlie puth praising Celine Javascript is not enabled OR refresh the page to viewClick here to view the Tweet 1 Quote
Critiaslux Posted July 28, 2024 at 07:40 AM Posted July 28, 2024 at 07:40 AM It looks like Céline was supposed to sing in FRONT of Eiffel Tower with a standing mic? Plan B explained by Victor Le Masne, the musical director of the ceremonies in his BFMTV interview was that indeed Céline would sing there. Quote
jpatdeleon09 Posted July 28, 2024 at 07:41 AM Posted July 28, 2024 at 07:41 AM Ratatouille also watched the performance that night lol Javascript is not enabled OR refresh the page to viewClick here to view the Tweet 3 Quote
jpatdeleon09 Posted July 28, 2024 at 07:43 AM Posted July 28, 2024 at 07:43 AM Funny bit here: on her way out of the hotel, she helps fan take photo by taking over his phone lol Look at that Celine is now a techie 😋 Quote
scielle Posted July 28, 2024 at 08:20 AM Author Posted July 28, 2024 at 08:20 AM @scielle maybe I missed it through all of the messages since yesterday, or maybe you didn't post about it.But I was curious how your experience was being there in the audience!Haha thanks for asking! Well, I’ve been busy actually watching the Olympics so will take a while to catch up on all things Céline over the past 2 days! (Rainy rowing, canoeing & kayaking yesterday, at La Defense arena for swimming now, then Bercy for gymnastics and some Roland Garros tennis in the evening! ☺️). But to add to what I had posted earlier, much as the ceremony left a lot to be desired for those of us watching in person, I do feel for the organizers. They had clearly planned something much more grand that was impossible to deliver under the circumstances. After Celine’s performance, everyone around me was expecting fireworks and the drone show clearly also never came. Same with the BMX and I’m sure many other things. Would have been magical with a golden hour and sunset over the Seine. So it’s heartbreaking for everyone involved who I’m sure worked really hard. I hope they can at least bring back some of the cut elements for the closing ceremony. Quote
mirage Posted July 28, 2024 at 08:22 AM Posted July 28, 2024 at 08:22 AM Well, I got a little sick from standing wet and cold in the rain all day on Fri and again yesterday (at rowing, canoeing and kayaking) but man, Celine really did save that ceremony, didn't she.I'm of course very glad I got a free spot to watch it alongside the river, but if I paid any money for that I'd be asking for a refund.As someone who watched every Olympic opening since 1992 (and participated in one), this was really underwhelming. Perhaps it played better on TV and I need to give it another watch, but in person, we basically just stood in the rain watching the same broadcast you all were on TV, with a side of boats going by. By the time they got to where I was at (almost at the end, by the tower), the athletes were soaked and probably just as miserable as the rest of us.The riverside broadcast was a straight feed with no commentary, so I still don't know what some of that was about (The minions? Don't know who the rapper in red was or the Imagine singer... and also, can we please put a moratorium on that song? It made sense in London, but here? Just such an eye roll moment. It's so overdone. I don't need a 400th cover of it.)When that song finished, by the way, a lot of people around me didn't know there's a whole protocol section to come and assumed we're nearing then end, so started chanting "Celine! Celine!" It was a little wait still, of course, but basically at every lull in the action they'd chant her name, getting impatient. And when she did appear, you could hear a pin drop. Unfortunately I couldn't see much of anything because the people in front insisted on still having their umbrellas out (even though it was just spitting at that point). But it was still great to be there.So seeing all the media reviews basically lead with Celine's comeback, and saying things like "Celine saved that", "fast forward straight to Celine", "Celine was the reward for anyone who suffered through 4 hours of that"... well, that's how it felt being there in person. And what I really took away from that is Celine is such a unifying force. Praise from fellow music legends (say, Anne Murray or Nancy Sinatra), or athletes (say tennis legend Chris Evert) or other pop culture icons (say comedy legend Eric Idle, of Monty Python, whom you might remember him from the London opening), to politicians of all stripes (comments form Justin Trudeau were not surprising, of course, but also in the US - like senators and former presidential candidates on opposite ends of the political spectrum - Mitt Romney and Amy Klobuchar - or White House Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre). How many entertainers can do that?(Well, apparently Rolling Stone believes there are at least 200 others who can...) Javascript is not enabled OR refresh the page to viewClick here to view the TweetJavascript is not enabled OR refresh the page to viewClick here to view the TweetJavascript is not enabled OR refresh the page to viewClick here to view the TweetJavascript is not enabled OR refresh the page to viewClick here to view the TweetJavascript is not enabled OR refresh the page to viewClick here to view the TweetJavascript is not enabled OR refresh the page to viewClick here to view the TweetJavascript is not enabled OR refresh the page to viewClick here to view the TweetThere are so many positive comments flowing in of course, it's impossible to keep track of it all. But the notable thing to me is that it really is from all corners. Celine touches all. (And also, I can't believe I'm still reading comments on here about her bun. Like, seriously people. WTF?)Let me save you another watch of this ceremony. Even on TV it was underwhelming. Never have I seen such a snoozefest. Even Gaga didn't show up and they broadcasted her rehearsal. Maybe it was the rain that ruined their plans or so, but I'm glad I didn't paid loads of money to be at the Seine and watch it from the screens. Canal Gay Pride Amsterdam, that's how you do a show on water! And yes, the love from all over the world and from literally anyone it's crazy! I think we can be proud and consider ourselves very lucky to have witnessed this. A few years ago they talked about the Celinaissance, but this was next level! Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-F721B met Tapatalk Quote
CourageProject Posted July 28, 2024 at 08:56 AM Posted July 28, 2024 at 08:56 AM Law posted https://www.instagram.com/p/C99ba1pMCef/?igsh=MTQ1Mm9iaXJoZ3I1Ng== 2 Quote
scielle Posted July 28, 2024 at 08:58 AM Author Posted July 28, 2024 at 08:58 AM And yes, the love from all over the world and from literally anyone it's crazy! I think we can be proud and consider ourselves very lucky to have witnessed this. A few years ago they talked about the Celinaissance, but this was next level! Yes! And I just love that Celine’s big moment is in French. As someone who never cared for her English material but learned French from D’Eux and S’il suffisait d’aimer, this warms my heart. The world needs to know how magical she is in her native language. 4 Quote
garçon Posted July 28, 2024 at 09:01 AM Posted July 28, 2024 at 09:01 AM Someone put the 2015 and 2024 performances side by side: https://www.facebook.com/share/v/ueEhRMVTYWQgurd8/?mibextid=D5vuiz Is it just me, or I think this video would support others' claim that the Olympics performance was just the 2015 performance but pitch corrected in places, and moved around a bit here and there... the phrasing, her breathing, and vocal styling seem to match. But either way, even if it is the 2015 vocals... I actually am happy about it! Because since that AMA performance I've always wanted someone (a fan or a music engineer) to pitch correct that performance so we get to experience the song as intended, in its almost pitch perfect version. Very interesting. This adds to the hypothesis that parts of the AMA performance could have been used to create the new version. Perhaps ‘just’ the money notes, corrected in pitch where needed. This would be very significant. I must say, especially the technically (and therefore physical) more difficult parts in both performances seem most similar. For your information: in order to create those mixed voice belts, a lot of strength and control over not only the vocal cords but also the larynx is needed. One needs quite some routine, training and fitness to do that… 1 Quote
jpatdeleon09 Posted July 28, 2024 at 09:21 AM Posted July 28, 2024 at 09:21 AM (edited) Most of the comments in that comparison video are positive. Noticing that there are some differences in parts and much better in current version than 2015. But I don’t know why the need on doing comparison? It’s so lambs lol Edited July 28, 2024 at 09:23 AM by jpatdeleon09 3 Quote
mirage Posted July 28, 2024 at 09:25 AM Posted July 28, 2024 at 09:25 AM Video from when she left the hotel and was filming with her phone. I love how she is pointing towards her camera.Feels like an aunt on a family gathering, 'look look here' https://www.instagram.com/reel/C95LYcnIp9H/?igsh=MW5sYnZuc3NtdWRieQ== Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-F721B met Tapatalk 3 Quote
mirage Posted July 28, 2024 at 09:27 AM Posted July 28, 2024 at 09:27 AM Yes! And I just love that Celines big moment is in French. As someone who never cared for her English material but learned French from DEux and Sil suffisait daimer, this warms my heart. The world needs to know how magical she is in her native language.Would have been a great move if they released this song right after the performance.Let's hope the world keeps interest, especially in her French work. Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-F721B met Tapatalk 2 Quote
garçon Posted July 28, 2024 at 09:31 AM Posted July 28, 2024 at 09:31 AM (edited) Most of the comments in that comparison video are positive. Noticing that there are some differences in parts and much better in current version than 2015. But I don’t know why the need on doing comparison? It’s so lambs lol Well basically it would either demonstrate or just not if she can make it back to ‘11’ again..I guess that’s quite a fundamental question here Edited July 28, 2024 at 09:31 AM by garçon 1 Quote
marc-02 Posted July 28, 2024 at 09:39 AM Posted July 28, 2024 at 09:39 AM (edited) Very interesting. This adds to the hypothesis that parts of the AMA performance could have been used to create the new version. Perhaps ‘just’ the money notes, corrected in pitch where needed. This would be very significant. I must say, especially the technically (and therefore physical) more difficult parts in both performances seem most similar. For your information: in order to create those mixed voice belts, a lot of strength and control over not only the vocal cords but also the larynx is needed. One needs quite some routine, training and fitness to do that… Yes, I agree. It would seem they only pitch corrected the money notes. But the rest stayed the same. So that explains why when I heard the first few lines in her Olympic performance, my instinct suddenly kicked in and said: This sounds eerily similar to her AMA performance, the wavering texture of the first two lines.... but when she hit the chorus and the money note was on pitch, I said: Oh wait, this must be a different recording... but now, I'm convinced again that it was the AMA version, but polished. Which again I am very happy about! 😁😁😁 Edited July 28, 2024 at 09:41 AM by marc-02 1 Quote
Balao Posted July 28, 2024 at 09:51 AM Posted July 28, 2024 at 09:51 AM I have confirmation that Céline did not lipsync. She had a recording as a plan B that they could use if necessary. She was very reluctant to use it and very keen on singing live. 3 Quote
ABMs Posted July 28, 2024 at 09:55 AM Posted July 28, 2024 at 09:55 AM I have no idea how anyone can think that even a breath from this performance was reused from the AMAs 2015 performance. The vocal techniques she uses from the very first line “le ciel bleu” are already totally different. The facebook post overlapping to the two performances clearly shows that NOT A SINGLE NOTE overlaps perfectly between these two. Most importantly, the pristine, crystal-clear high notes she delivered at the Olympics are simply impossible to attribute to pitch correction of the 2015 performance. Pitch correction can adjust pitch, but it cannot eliminate the raspiness and shakiness present in the 2015 high notes. The high notes were clearly re-recorded from scratch, as there's no technical way to transform the 2015 performance into the crystal-clear rendition of 2024. Given that she re-recorded the high notes, it stands to reason she would also re-record the less challenging parts, such as the intro and other sections. 5 Quote
Macaronie Posted July 28, 2024 at 10:01 AM Posted July 28, 2024 at 10:01 AM I have confirmation that Céline did not lipsync. She had a recording as a plan B that they could use if necessary. She was very reluctant to use it and very keen on singing live. delulu Quote
jpatdeleon09 Posted July 28, 2024 at 10:07 AM Posted July 28, 2024 at 10:07 AM (edited) In some parts it’s really different. I’ll try to compare the two in my own way Because some already made an acapella version of the 2024 version. It would be easier to compare the two Edited July 28, 2024 at 10:11 AM by jpatdeleon09 Quote
marc-02 Posted July 28, 2024 at 10:14 AM Posted July 28, 2024 at 10:14 AM I really love how she has now earned another title: The Queen of Tower Ballads. 7 Quote
Popular Post Balao Posted July 28, 2024 at 10:17 AM Popular Post Posted July 28, 2024 at 10:17 AM It's exactly the same recording as 2015. She only re-recorded the high-notes, and the low-notes, and the verses, and the beginning, and the end. 9 Quote
garçon Posted July 28, 2024 at 10:41 AM Posted July 28, 2024 at 10:41 AM (edited) I have no idea how anyone can think that even a breath from this performance was reused from the AMAs 2015 performance. The vocal techniques she uses from the very first line “le ciel bleu” are already totally different. The facebook post overlapping to the two performances clearly shows that NOT A SINGLE NOTE overlaps perfectly between these two. Most importantly, the pristine, crystal-clear high notes she delivered at the Olympics are simply impossible to attribute to pitch correction of the 2015 performance. Pitch correction can adjust pitch, but it cannot eliminate the raspiness and shakiness present in the 2015 high notes. The high notes were clearly re-recorded from scratch, as there's no technical way to transform the 2015 performance into the crystal-clear rendition of 2024. Given that she re-recorded the high notes, it stands to reason she would also re-record the less challenging parts, such as the intro and other sections. To answer your first question: Read my earlier post and watch the comparison video posted by someone else. Perhaps many people (here) want to believe so hard that she’s back where she was a few years ago, that it may be too hard to even ponder over the hypothesis that she’s not there (yet) as with regards to the more difficult and powerful notes. Edited July 28, 2024 at 10:54 AM by garçon Quote
scielle Posted July 28, 2024 at 10:44 AM Author Posted July 28, 2024 at 10:44 AM Javascript is not enabled OR refresh the page to viewClick here to view the Tweet 1 Quote
jpatdeleon09 Posted July 28, 2024 at 10:49 AM Posted July 28, 2024 at 10:49 AM Are we in the negative or positive side about the performance? I think we should just focus on enjoying the moment. Having her huge comeback. Like the people praising her. Do that curiosity when she goes back in LV to do a residency show. 4 Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.