Xpresso Posted June 11, 2021 at 02:08 PM Posted June 11, 2021 at 02:08 PM (edited) I don't really get the fixation on the accent, but perhaps that's because I'm only somewhat francophone so don't really hear enough of a difference for it to bother me. But it generally doesn't bother me at all in English either; I usually don't rally notice there either. To me it's a minute detail - whatever the film - so I'm surprised the Quebecois reaction has focused so much on it.Just imagine a movie about Whitney where she speaks some weird mix of British and American English while her family members speak American English. It's just really annoying and it's hard not to focus on it when watching. Lack of consistency... Edited June 11, 2021 at 02:09 PM by Xpresso Quote
scielle Posted June 11, 2021 at 02:17 PM Posted June 11, 2021 at 02:17 PM Just imagine a movie about Whitney where she speaks some weird mix of British and American English while her family members speak American English. It's just really annoying and it's hard not to focus on it when watching. Lack of consistency...That’s the thing, I don’t think it would annoy me at all. Perhaps because I’ve lived in both UK and US so speak with some bizarre mix of both accents. It really isn’t something I notice at all. Quote
Xpresso Posted June 11, 2021 at 03:55 PM Posted June 11, 2021 at 03:55 PM That's the thing, I don't think it would annoy me at all. Perhaps because I've lived in both UK and US so speak with some bizarre mix of both accents. It really isn't something I notice at all.I forgot to add that Whitney would be played by a British actress trying to do the American accent without getting it. LOLI can tell you, the accent Valérie is doing in the movie doesn't exist in Quebec. That's why people there won't be able to just let it go. Let's see how the public react. It's always the best test. Quote
PuraVida Posted June 11, 2021 at 11:58 PM Posted June 11, 2021 at 11:58 PM Valerie Lemercier is such a talented comedian but a French actress trying to talk with the Quebec accent is a suicide mission. Judging by that little scene I can tell you her impersonation will be perceived as a real failure in Quebec. On the other side, she had wonderful reviews in France because they think it's close to an accurate representation of how we speak. I still can't wait to see the movie though as it was made with tons of love and good intentions . The biggest turnoff and most negative aspect of this movie is the Victoria Sio dubbing for budget/copyright reasons . You'd rather have it be the Celine versions? Quote
PuraVida Posted June 12, 2021 at 12:00 AM Posted June 12, 2021 at 12:00 AM I hadn't realized Sylvain Marcel has already done some interviews about this, too. Thought it was just Valerie so far. But apparently I was wrong because here he is, on Julie Snyder's show a few months ago. They talk about a scene in the movie which is a recreation of one of Julie's interviews with Celine, where she talks about Rene's heart attack. They show and excerpt of the original interview with Julie and the Aline version of the same. https://www.instagra.../p/CK1dv6Blgnm/ Rene had a heart attack? Never knew that. 1 Quote
PuraVida Posted June 12, 2021 at 12:16 AM Posted June 12, 2021 at 12:16 AM I don't really get the fixation on the accent, but perhaps that's because I'm only somewhat francophone so don't really hear enough of a difference for it to bother me. But it generally doesn't bother me at all in English either; I usually don't rally notice there either. To me it's a minute detail - whatever the film - so I'm surprised the Quebecois reaction has focused so much on it. I wonder how the French would feel if a Quebecois portrayed Mylene Farmer in a movie. I personally dont care where someone comes from more important they do it justice. The important thing is for the accent to be very good, though. But perhaps political tensions make certain Quebecois listeners extra critical. Quote
scielle Posted June 12, 2021 at 02:10 AM Posted June 12, 2021 at 02:10 AM Rene had a heart attack? Never knew that. Yes, it's covered in her book and she spoke about it in some interviews. It's in the 2008 Celine movie as well.It was in the early 90s, before their relationship was public. In LA, I believe, and they were lucky to be staying close to a hospital and she managed to get him there on time, but she had just come from the hotel swimming pool so ended up at the hospital in her swimsuit. 1 Quote
PuraVida Posted June 12, 2021 at 02:13 AM Posted June 12, 2021 at 02:13 AM (edited) Yes, it's covered in her book and she spoke about it in some interviews. It's in the 2008 Celine movie as well.It was in the early 90s, before their relationship was public. In LA, I believe, and they were lucky to be staying close to a hospital and she managed to get him there on time, but she had just come from the hotel swimming pool so ended up at the hospital in her swimsuit. Omg what a scene! I would have imagined it was post 2000s when Rene started to slow down a bit. But I guess most of that was from the cancer anyway. Edited June 12, 2021 at 02:14 AM by PuraVida Quote
Xpresso Posted June 12, 2021 at 11:05 AM Posted June 12, 2021 at 11:05 AM I wonder how the French would feel if a Quebecois portrayed Mylene Farmer in a movie. I personally dont care where someone comes from more important they do it justice. The important thing is for the accent to be very good, though. But perhaps political tensions make certain Quebecois listeners extra critical.Nothing to do with political tensions. It's all about the accent being right or wrong. It's just like when SNL tried so many times to pull Céline's accent in English but never really succeeded. To sit through an entire Céline movie where Céline or Aline speaks nothing like the real Queen, it's bound to clash. 1 Quote
scielle Posted June 12, 2021 at 11:29 AM Posted June 12, 2021 at 11:29 AM Omg what a scene! I would have imagined it was post 2000s when Rene started to slow down a bit. But I guess most of that was from the cancer anyway. Yeah you can hear her talk about it in the last few minutes of this interview with Julie (in French, no subtitles, unfortunately). She also talks about how it was really the first time she had to take control - get his will just in case, talk to his kids & ex-wife to relay it and let them know what happened. Quote
Chantemoi Posted June 12, 2021 at 09:19 PM Posted June 12, 2021 at 09:19 PM Where did you read that? Because all I've seen was that she hasn't read the script but is looking forward to seeing it. I don't really get the fixation on the accent, but perhaps that's because I'm only somewhat francophone so don't really hear enough of a difference for it to bother me. But it generally doesn't bother me at all in English either; I usually don't rally notice there either. To me it's a minute detail - whatever the film - so I'm surprised the Quebecois reaction has focused so much on it. We can’t be surprised though. I remember reading critical comments about Valerie’s accent before the movie was even filmed! I just assumed it was some irate social media fools finding something negative to focus on. ... I say this with full awareness of my own prejudice. When I saw the trailer for “Judy” I was revolted and offended that Renee Zellweger had been chosen to play AND SING Judy Garland. I swore I’d never watch it. (We’ll see if that lasts or if I give in one day when I want to watch a crappy movie...) Quote
scielle Posted June 12, 2021 at 09:27 PM Posted June 12, 2021 at 09:27 PM Oh, I’m not surprised. I just don’t think it matters much and is not something I even notice. Quote
jpatdeleon09 Posted June 13, 2021 at 03:46 AM Posted June 13, 2021 at 03:46 AM We can’t be surprised though. I remember reading critical comments about Valerie’s accent before the movie was even filmed! I just assumed it was some irate social media fools finding something negative to focus on. ... I say this with full awareness of my own prejudice. When I saw the trailer for “Judy” I was revolted and offended that Renee Zellweger had been chosen to play AND SING Judy Garland. I swore I’d never watch it. (We’ll see if that lasts or if I give in one day when I want to watch a crappy movie...) Watch it if you have nothing to do. Do it at midnight. Let’s see if you will not cry. Because i did cry especially at the end. And Zellweger’s voice is amazing. She can sing. Quote
PuraVida Posted June 13, 2021 at 04:56 AM Posted June 13, 2021 at 04:56 AM Does anyone know more about these rumours:1. Rene broke uo with Celine at the Junos 1989, because he wanted an emotional performance of Have A Heart. I hope it's not true.2. Rene wanted to break up with Celine/divorce in 1995, because she clung on him too much.3. Celine was pregnant in 1996, but than she had a miscarriage. That's why she was so serious at the Montreal concert. Oprah said in 2002 that Celine and Rene had been trying for 6 years to have a baby. I just heard this. So maybe the 1996 rumour has some validity to it, since it fits the timeline. Quote
jpatdeleon09 Posted June 13, 2021 at 05:25 AM Posted June 13, 2021 at 05:25 AM (edited) That number 1 about Rene wanted to break up with Céline because he wants an emotional performance during Juno 1989 is a bit shallow lol That number 2 about Rene wanting to break up because she clung on him so much. The reason is as shallow as number 1 the number 3 it’s possible and I thought that if you have a miscarriage it’s hard to be pregnant again… Number 3 rumour is more believable than 1 & 2 rumours Edited June 13, 2021 at 05:26 AM by jpatdeleon09 Quote
scielle Posted June 13, 2021 at 12:10 PM Posted June 13, 2021 at 12:10 PM Oprah said in 2002 that Celine and Rene had been trying for 6 years to have a baby. I just heard this. So maybe the 1996 rumour has some validity to it, since it fits the timeline. They’ve been trying for years which is well documented in her book and is why she took the break in 2000. She has also spoken openly about her miscarriages and this wasn’t one of them. 3 Quote
PuraVida Posted June 13, 2021 at 03:37 PM Posted June 13, 2021 at 03:37 PM They've been trying for years which is well documented in her book and is why she took the break in 2000.She has also spoken openly about her miscarriages and this wasn't one of them. I never recall her mentioning any miscarriages, so it's news to me. When were they? And yes I'm aware it's part of the reason she took her break. Quote
scielle Posted June 14, 2021 at 12:08 PM Posted June 14, 2021 at 12:08 PM I never recall her mentioning any miscarriages, so it's news to me. When were they? And yes I'm aware it's part of the reason she took her break. At least once in the early days of trying with the twins and then the twins were actually initially triplets. So that's twice. There may have been more but I don't exactly recall and don't have sources at my fingertips. Here's one interview where she talked about it, but there were others: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL408KQDZEM https://people.com/parents/celine-dion-twins-were-supposed-to-be-triplets/ It's easy to forget now because it's been so long and talking about it is so much more common, but back in early 2000s, she really was one of the first high profile women to talk about her fertility struggles and I think it really opened the door to a more open conversation and helped so many. In Quebec, she was the face of a campaign for a publicly-funded IVF program (which ultimately happened), so she made a very tangible difference in many people's lives.(She has said many times that she felt lucky she could afford to keep trying, while so many people are forced to give up because it's expensive.)https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/2635485474 1 Quote
PuraVida Posted June 14, 2021 at 02:12 PM Posted June 14, 2021 at 02:12 PM At least once in the early days of trying with the twins and then the twins were actually initially triplets. So that's twice. There may have been more but I don't exactly recall and don't have sources at my fingertips. Here's one interview where she talked about it, but there were others: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL408KQDZEM https://people.com/p...to-be-triplets/ It's easy to forget now because it's been so long and talking about it is so much more common, but back in early 2000s, she really was one of the first high profile women to talk about her fertility struggles and I think it really opened the door to a more open conversation and helped so many. In Quebec, she was the face of a campaign for a publicly-funded IVF program (which ultimately happened), so she made a very tangible difference in many people's lives.(She has said many times that she felt lucky she could afford to keep trying, while so many people are forced to give up because it's expensive.)https://www.cbc.ca/p...play/2635485474 Oh yes this Oprah interview, thanks! Though miscarriage is a bit different from trying and failing to become pregnant, so maybe the rumour came from her trying starting in 1996 and it not working. But in my mind she never started using IVF until at least the 2000s, but maybe someone knows more if she used it in the 1990s. Quote
chocolatechip15 Posted June 15, 2021 at 03:22 AM Posted June 15, 2021 at 03:22 AM 6 years is from the wedding in 1994 until Celine got pregnant in 2000. A mystery 1996 miscarriage wouldn’t fit that timeline at all. 1 Quote
marc-02 Posted June 15, 2021 at 03:34 AM Posted June 15, 2021 at 03:34 AM Oh yes this Oprah interview, thanks! Though miscarriage is a bit different from trying and failing to become pregnant, so maybe the rumour came from her trying starting in 1996 and it not working. But in my mind she never started using IVF until at least the 2000s, but maybe someone knows more if she used it in the 1990s. She did have a miscarriage. The twins were supposed to be triplets but the third baby "chose to let go." https://www.marieclaire.com.au/celebrities-quotes-on-miscarriages-pregnancy Celine DionBefore giving birth to twins, singer Celine Dion had been expecting triplets, but lost one of the three babies early on in the pregnancy. She revealed to the French press in 2010 that: "[The miscarried child] chose to let go to give space to his brothers to grow." Dion had also already had a miscarriage before using IVF to fall pregnant with her twins: “They said I was pregnant, and a couple of days after, [my husband and I] were not pregnant again…" 1 Quote
PuraVida Posted June 15, 2021 at 03:47 AM Posted June 15, 2021 at 03:47 AM She did have a miscarriage. The twins were supposed to be triplets but the third baby "chose to let go." https://www.mariecla...iages-pregnancy Celine DionBefore giving birth to twins, singer Celine Dion had been expecting triplets, but lost one of the three babies early on in the pregnancy. She revealed to the French press in 2010 that: "[The miscarried child] chose to let go to give space to his brothers to grow." Dion had also already had a miscarriage before using IVF to fall pregnant with her twins: "They said I was pregnant, and a couple of days after, [my husband and I] were not pregnant again…" But when was the miscarriage they mention in the article? Before Nelson and Eddie it seems. But the thing I was responding to was the rumoru about a 1996 miscarriage. Quote
PuraVida Posted June 15, 2021 at 03:49 AM Posted June 15, 2021 at 03:49 AM 6 years is from the wedding in 1994 until Celine got pregnant in 2000. A mystery 1996 miscarriage wouldn't fit that timeline at all. Why not? Unless we are saying "trying to get pregnant" cannot include starting a pregnancy and having it ended unduly. Quote
jpatdeleon09 Posted June 15, 2021 at 05:53 AM Posted June 15, 2021 at 05:53 AM (edited) The question is where did we get this rumour about having miscarriage in 96? Was it part of the book? Always rumours no proofs Edited June 15, 2021 at 05:53 AM by jpatdeleon09 1 Quote
incognito Posted June 16, 2021 at 01:19 AM Posted June 16, 2021 at 01:19 AM In summer 2009 Céline was pregnant. And then we were updated a few months later that she was no longer pregnant. So clearly there was a miscarriage then too. https://people.com/parents/cline-dion-is-pregnant-with-second-child/ Quote
jpatdeleon09 Posted June 16, 2021 at 02:42 AM Posted June 16, 2021 at 02:42 AM Possible since they started trying after the tour. I remember there’s an interview back in 2010 on Oprah Show about her miscarriage (I don’t know if they’re talking about the 2009 miscarriage or the 2010) and that they’re on their 5th try on in vitro. Quote
CelineTheBest5 Posted June 17, 2021 at 01:17 PM Posted June 17, 2021 at 01:17 PM (edited) She was pregnant in Aug or Sept 2009, It was the first try of the IVF, but in some weeks she had a miscarriage, she said it in some interviews about it. So she tried more times and got pregnant of 3 babies but one didnt survive (In a interivew to Julie Snyder in Celine´s home in Florida in Oct 2010). Edited June 17, 2021 at 01:18 PM by CelineTheBest5 2 Quote https://www.facebook...linedionbrazil/
scielle Posted June 30, 2021 at 12:22 PM Posted June 30, 2021 at 12:22 PM So Cannes starts on Tuesday. Has anyone seen a schedule of when this is actually intended to screen?Valerie will be there, clearly, and I believe at the very least Sylvain as well. Curious to see what kind of reception and coverage it'll get. 2 Quote
Xpresso Posted June 30, 2021 at 01:40 PM Posted June 30, 2021 at 01:40 PM (edited) So Cannes starts on Tuesday. Has anyone seen a schedule of when this is actually intended to screen?Valerie will be there, clearly, and I believe at the very least Sylvain as well. Curious to see what kind of reception and coverage it'll get.I read somewhere (can't remember where) that it's supposed to close the festival (out of competition). But who knows if that's correct... Edited June 30, 2021 at 01:41 PM by Xpresso Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.