scielle Posted May 18, 2021 at 07:28 PM Posted May 18, 2021 at 07:28 PM Javascript is not enabled OR refresh the page to viewClick here to view the Tweet 3 Quote
scielle Posted June 3, 2021 at 10:46 AM Posted June 3, 2021 at 10:46 AM (edited) Delete - accidental double post. Edited June 3, 2021 at 10:57 AM by scielle Quote
scielle Posted June 3, 2021 at 10:55 AM Posted June 3, 2021 at 10:55 AM (edited) Screening at Cannes - Javascript is not enabled OR refresh the page to viewClick here to view the Tweet Javascript is not enabled OR refresh the page to viewClick here to view the Tweet Javascript is not enabled OR refresh the page to viewClick here to view the Tweet Edited June 3, 2021 at 10:56 AM by scielle 3 Quote
scielle Posted June 3, 2021 at 12:33 PM Posted June 3, 2021 at 12:33 PM By the way, new release dates are starting to pop up. Germany: 23/12/21Singapore: 25/11/21 https://en.unifrance.org/movie/48444/aline 1 Quote
jpatdeleon09 Posted June 3, 2021 at 02:52 PM Posted June 3, 2021 at 02:52 PM So, are they still pushing this film only in theaters? Because some are they releasing it both digitally via HBO MAX and theaters like Cruella, A Quiet Place 2, Mulan…. Quote
scielle Posted June 3, 2021 at 03:30 PM Posted June 3, 2021 at 03:30 PM So, are they still pushing this film only in theaters? Because some are they releasing it both digitally via HBO MAX and theaters like Cruella, A Quiet Place 2, Mulan…. Yes, of course. That was the point of Valerie and the producers delaying it. 1 Quote
scielle Posted June 3, 2021 at 03:37 PM Posted June 3, 2021 at 03:37 PM (edited) So. Much. Buzz. Javascript is not enabled OR refresh the page to viewClick here to view the TweetJavascript is not enabled OR refresh the page to viewClick here to view the TweetJavascript is not enabled OR refresh the page to viewClick here to view the TweetJavascript is not enabled OR refresh the page to viewClick here to view the TweetJavascript is not enabled OR refresh the page to viewClick here to view the TweetJavascript is not enabled OR refresh the page to viewClick here to view the TweetJavascript is not enabled OR refresh the page to viewClick here to view the TweetJavascript is not enabled OR refresh the page to viewClick here to view the TweetJavascript is not enabled OR refresh the page to viewClick here to view the TweetJavascript is not enabled OR refresh the page to viewClick here to view the TweetJavascript is not enabled OR refresh the page to viewClick here to view the TweetJavascript is not enabled OR refresh the page to viewClick here to view the TweetJavascript is not enabled OR refresh the page to viewClick here to view the Tweet There’s more, but I can’t keep up! Edited June 3, 2021 at 03:43 PM by scielle 3 Quote
ehild Posted June 3, 2021 at 04:04 PM Posted June 3, 2021 at 04:04 PM Lol those are great! It always seemed odd: it's clearly about Celine, why change the name?? My best guess, and question too, would be if her name is trademarked or something (because she's Celine lol...and her name is also her logo) perhaps they can't legally use her name?? Idk.... Quote ~Liz"Please don't make your career your life. Let it be your passion, let it bring you pleasure, but don't let it become your identity. You are so much more valuable than that." -Celine
mirage Posted June 3, 2021 at 05:19 PM Posted June 3, 2021 at 05:19 PM Hoping that one day there will be a big Hollywood production biopic such like Queen and Elton John had. I still feel this one is just as weird as 'Celine, The Movie' was. Calling it Aline, and playing all the roles. Still not getting it. Quote
maki_Dion-er Posted June 3, 2021 at 05:21 PM Posted June 3, 2021 at 05:21 PM (edited) It's clearly meant as a tongue-in-cheek joke imo (I mean the same 57 year old actress is playing 13 year old Celine). But also very likely to avoid claims of misrepresenting Celine, and possibly because they took creative liberties. The impression I get from the trailer is that, yes, it's a biopic but also not meant to be taken fully serious. Edited June 3, 2021 at 05:24 PM by maki_Dion-er 3 Quote
scielle Posted June 3, 2021 at 05:30 PM Posted June 3, 2021 at 05:30 PM Well, people are clearly intrigued / perplexed / amused! 😆 I hope they manage to get the North American premiere to happen at TIFF. Would be a great launch platform. Javascript is not enabled OR refresh the page to viewClick here to view the TweetJavascript is not enabled OR refresh the page to viewClick here to view the TweetJavascript is not enabled OR refresh the page to viewClick here to view the TweetJavascript is not enabled OR refresh the page to viewClick here to view the Tweet 3 Quote
scielle Posted June 3, 2021 at 05:33 PM Posted June 3, 2021 at 05:33 PM (edited) I suspect it's going to be a very polarized response - people are either going to "get it" and love it for the quirkiness, or come away confused with a "it's so bad, it's good" take. There'll be no in-between. I mean, just look at the quote tweets here! Makes for an amusing read - https://twitter.com/chrisvfeil/status/1400446174583209985/retweets/with_comments Edited June 3, 2021 at 05:41 PM by scielle 1 Quote
scielle Posted June 3, 2021 at 06:16 PM Posted June 3, 2021 at 06:16 PM (edited) Javascript is not enabled OR refresh the page to viewClick here to view the Tweet I’m not going to post them all - impossible! - but there’s now an entire breed of comments with Céline songs — ahem, Aline songs - going around. 😂 Like so: Javascript is not enabled OR refresh the page to viewClick here to view the Tweet Took 6 months - think that’s how long that trailer has been out - but suddenly, Aline Dieu going viral, just in time for pride month. Edited June 3, 2021 at 06:20 PM by scielle 4 Quote
jpatdeleon09 Posted June 3, 2021 at 06:24 PM Posted June 3, 2021 at 06:24 PM (edited) So I guess this is not like "Celine The Movie- TV movie". It's an epic movie. Finally! and "Celine Dion said you can have my songs and my life story, but don’t you dare use my real name!!" That's why it's Aline Edited June 3, 2021 at 06:24 PM by jpatdeleon09 1 Quote
jpatdeleon09 Posted June 3, 2021 at 06:25 PM Posted June 3, 2021 at 06:25 PM Now it gets me excited again. But still they will release it first in theaters. I wonder how long will they release it digitally? Quote
jpatdeleon09 Posted June 3, 2021 at 06:31 PM Posted June 3, 2021 at 06:31 PM Did they mentioned anything about Céline Dion singing to this movie? Maybe in.. end-credits? or For those who have seen this movie last year. Is there a new Céline Dion song? What song did they used in end credits? Is it Ordinaire? I think I remember someone posted that I'm not just 100 percent sure. Quote
scielle Posted June 3, 2021 at 06:38 PM Posted June 3, 2021 at 06:38 PM (edited) Did they mentioned anything about Céline Dion singing to this movie? Maybe in.. end-credits? or For those who have seen this movie last year. Is there a new Céline Dion song? What song did they used in end credits? Is it Ordinaire? I think I remember someone posted that I'm not just 100 percent sure. They re-recorded Céline songs with Victoria Sio. See earlier in this thread. Edited June 3, 2021 at 06:50 PM by scielle Quote
jpatdeleon09 Posted June 3, 2021 at 06:45 PM Posted June 3, 2021 at 06:45 PM They re-recorded Céline songs with Victoria Sito. See earlier in this thread. ah so no new céline dion songs here? so all were recorded by Victoria Sito even the end credits? Quote
nuts2you Posted June 3, 2021 at 07:45 PM Posted June 3, 2021 at 07:45 PM I wonder if this will be available here in the states , and when do you think it will hit in the Movie's 1 Quote
DionFanAlways Posted June 3, 2021 at 10:10 PM Posted June 3, 2021 at 10:10 PM Omg that playlist! by @itsonlyzach “Think Two Times” “I’m Not Dead” 2 Quote I have had the time of my life following this woman! Much love.
scielle Posted June 3, 2021 at 10:26 PM Posted June 3, 2021 at 10:26 PM (edited) My favourites so far - from a variety of posts - are "There were evenings when the breeze was so freeze", "Think Thrice", and "The Vital Organ In My Chest Shall Persist", " and On Account of Your Affection For Me" and the Streisand duet, "Inform that Dude" Edited June 3, 2021 at 10:29 PM by scielle 4 Quote
scielle Posted June 3, 2021 at 10:35 PM Posted June 3, 2021 at 10:35 PM Hoping that one day there will be a big Hollywood production biopic such like Queen and Elton John had. The budget for this was 3/4 that of Rocketman... it's not a Hallmark, made-for-TV, el-cheapo movie. Anyway, I do wonder what the reaction will be, and how different it'll play in France vs. Quebec vs. anglo markets. Obviously the latter are not familiar with Valerie Lemercier and her schtick. And in Quebec they'll complain about Valerie's accent... Early reviews from previews in France were positive, but that was an audience familiar with Valerie's style. Comedy doesn't tend to translate well, though I gather this is more of a dramedy/ romcom, so we'll see. All very curious. 1 Quote
jpatdeleon09 Posted June 4, 2021 at 06:50 AM Posted June 4, 2021 at 06:50 AM (edited) I don’t know why it’s so big deal for some for changing the name into Aline instead of Céline. The important thing is.. it’s done beautifully. The acting is great, the story is great, the singing is great blah blah yeah AND it has graat reviews especially coming from movie critics And everyone will know that it’s a Céline Dion movie Edited June 4, 2021 at 06:52 AM by jpatdeleon09 Quote
woodstock Posted June 4, 2021 at 07:30 AM Posted June 4, 2021 at 07:30 AM "Celine Dion said you can have my songs and my life story, but don’t you dare use my real name!!" That's why it's AlineWell that's not a real quote, of course. Just a joke. I told you from day 1 people out of France wouldn't understand this movie and the way to do it Quote
jpatdeleon09 Posted June 4, 2021 at 08:23 AM Posted June 4, 2021 at 08:23 AM (edited) Well that's not a real quote, of course. Just a joke. I told you from day 1 people out of France wouldn't understand this movie and the way to do it Of course it's a joke but I don't know what's the big deal of changing the name. I think the most important here is how beautifully they've done this film, the story, the acting, the singing and all and great reviews from the film critics. All will know that this movie is inspired by Céline's life Edited June 4, 2021 at 08:24 AM by jpatdeleon09 1 Quote
Xpresso Posted June 4, 2021 at 02:56 PM Posted June 4, 2021 at 02:56 PM Well changing the name makes it look like a parody. I'm not saying it is a one, but that's the impression it gives anyone not familiar with Valérie's concept... Quote
ryba Posted June 4, 2021 at 03:41 PM Posted June 4, 2021 at 03:41 PM What exactly is Valeries concept? Because I. Initially thought that this indeed was kind of a parody (sorry, but I didn’t follow this debate from the beginning, that’s why I’m asking) Quote
guigafs15 Posted June 4, 2021 at 03:52 PM Posted June 4, 2021 at 03:52 PM To be honest, whether is an artistic choice or something else, the whole Aline/Celine thing made me lose interest on this. I'll probably watch it at some point but I was never excited about this. The proximity of the names (Celine Dion/Aline Dieu) it does make me think about a parody. 1 Quote
PuraVida Posted June 4, 2021 at 04:46 PM Posted June 4, 2021 at 04:46 PM Repost from another thread: I kind of like the absurdity, campiness, and wink-wink nature of the title. I think there are pros and cons to using a "fake name", pros being you can be a little bit more lenient with the story presumably, it maybe cost a lot less to not have to pay for the rights to Celine's likeness, and without using her name directly they didn't have to seek as much approval or input from her...which she probably wasn't able to give because this was in the works during very tough years for Celine. The cons are the easy selling point and explainability, the marketing and attraction that Celine brings with her name upfront (but maybe some people are less willing to admit they are going to see the straight up Celine biopic). Quote
smw Posted June 4, 2021 at 04:49 PM Posted June 4, 2021 at 04:49 PM https://ew.com/movies/unauthorized-celine-dion-biopic-trailer-cannes/ https://www.thewrap.com/celine-dion-biopic-trailer-aline-god/ Lemercier quote: “We made fun of the Celine Dion-René Angélil couple a lot, especially on their age difference, some saying Celine was just an object for him. But of course, it was much more complicated than that. When I wrote the film, I too fell in love with René,” 2 Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.