Jump to content

Céline themed movies: "Aline/The Voice Of Love" and "Celine before Celine"


Recommended Posts

Posted

I hope more updates and new trailer from this upcoming movie :)

 

I will not watch the new trailer. I don't want too many spoilers. I'm seeing it very soon unless there's another shutdown.

  • Like 1
Posted

 

 

It’s been in theatres (previews) for several weeks now.

 

Wow! So, that only means there place is covid free?

Posted

Wow! So, that only means there place is covid free?

 

No. It just means socially distanced screenings and masks. Theaters have been open in numerous counties (see the box office success of Tenet).

Posted

No. It just means socially distanced screenings and masks. Theaters have been open in numerous counties (see the box office success of Tenet).

 

Ummmmm, there was no box office success of Tenet. The film cost just over $200 million to make. Marketing it pushed the cost of the film to the $300-$350 million range. With Nolan getting 20 percent of the gross, it has been estimated that the film would have to make between $400-$450 million to break even. It's made only $284 million worldwide in one month. That's considered a fail. Cases are rising all around the world. Movie theaters in many major markets remain closed. It'll be lucky to break even and, in the Hollywood movie industry, a blockbuster directed by Nolan was expected to make close to $1 billion worldwide before the pandemic.

Posted

Ummmmm, there was no box office success of Tenet. The film cost just over $200 million to make. Marketing it pushed the cost of the film to the $300-$350 million range. With Nolan getting 20 percent of the gross, it has been estimated that the film would have to make between $400-$450 million to break even. It's made only $284 million worldwide in one month. That's considered a fail. Cases are rising all around the world. Movie theaters in many major markets remain closed. It'll be lucky to break even and, in the Hollywood movie industry, a blockbuster directed by Nolan was expected to make close to $1 billion worldwide before the pandemic.

 

It is very true to say that the movie Tenet flopped because of its intrinsic mediocrity. Pandemic or not, it would have flopped all the same.

  • Like 1
Posted

 

 

Ummmmm, there was no box office success of Tenet. The film cost just over $200 million to make. Marketing it pushed the cost of the film to the $300-$350 million range. With Nolan getting 20 percent of the gross, it has been estimated that the film would have to make between $400-$450 million to break even. It's made only $284 million worldwide in one month. That's considered a fail. Cases are rising all around the world. Movie theaters in many major markets remain closed. It'll be lucky to break even and, in the Hollywood movie industry, a blockbuster directed by Nolan was expected to make close to $1 billion worldwide before the pandemic.

 

I mean in the context of COVID. Obviously it won’t get the kind of box office it would otherwise if not weighed down by limited capacity screenings.

Posted

Wow! So, that only means there place is covid free?

I go to the movies... with a mask! So far so good, unless there's a new lockdown.
  • Like 1
Posted

It is very true to say that the movie Tenet flopped because of its intrinsic mediocrity. Pandemic or not, it would have flopped all the same.

I mean in the context of COVID. Obviously it won't get the kind of box office it would otherwise if not weighed down by limited capacity screenings.

 

Also, we need to put into context the fact that Tenet did so poorly that almost every other major motion picture has been pushed to next year: Black Widow, Wonder Woman 2 (they say Christmas but it ain't gonna happen) Death on the Nile, Speilberg's West Side Story. The only movies opening are movies not expected to make a lot of money anyway. The studios are hoping that, with no big blockbusters and nothing else to do, people will go see anything. But the truth is, movie theaters are only selling at around 10 percent capacity and going to forced to close again simply because it costs too much to keep them up and running and they won't be making a profit.

Posted

Also helpful context:

 

Budget for “Tenet”: $205 million

Budget for “Aline”: $23 million

 

It’s basic accounting.

Higher expense = higher breakeven point

Lower expense = lower breakeven point

Posted

I'm confused by the title. Aline sounds so cheap and tacky, why they didn't stick to The Power of Love?

Imagine movie about Madonna being named Botonna or Mariah Noriah?

I understand they couldn't get permission to name a character Celine, but they could've been more clever about it and don't use a name altogether? I'm sure there's a way to build a story even without a name.

For example I don't remember in a movie Rocket Man using name elton john? Maybe I'm mistaken

Posted

I'm confused by the title. Aline sounds so cheap and tacky, why they didn't stick to The Power of Love?

Imagine movie about Madonna being named Botonna or Mariah Noriah?

I understand they couldn't get permission to name a character Celine, but they could've been more clever about it and don't use a name altogether? I'm sure there's a way to build a story even without a name.

For example I don't remember in a movie Rocket Man using name elton john? Maybe I'm mistaken

 

It’s an actual name (like Aline Chretien, Canada’s former First Lady), not some made-up word, like your examples.

And who says they wanted to name it Céline and weren’t given permission? I’ve seen zero evidence of that and everything to the contrary. Valerie intentionally changed all the names to give herself creative license and permission to veer away from reality.

 

 

  • Like 1
Posted (edited)
I had a friend called Aline when I was a child. I now have to think of her all te time 😆 Edited by Leanne
  • Like 2
Posted

I get that Aline is an actual name. Doesn't change the fact that is sounds weird and movie would sound more credible without it. Now it feels like something from Hallmark channel again that's all I'm saying

Quite the opposite; I think it’s MORE credible as Aline rather than Celine. The latter would appeal to fans and turn away others. As it stands, more are likely to have interest in it as simply a quality film “based on a true story”, on its own merits. It expands the target market and keeps it from being a sycophantic passion project.

  • Like 5
Posted

Quite the opposite; I think it's MORE credible as Aline rather than Celine. The latter would appeal to fans and turn away others. As it stands, more are likely to have interest in it as simply a quality film "based on a true story", on its own merits. It expands the target market and keeps it from being a sycophantic passion project.

 

Hm, interesting way of looking at it. Not sure if it's true, but it's plausible.

Posted

 

Quite the opposite; I think it’s MORE credible as Aline rather than Celine. The latter would appeal to fans and turn away others. As it stands, more are likely to have interest in it as simply a quality film “based on a true story”, on its own merits. It expands the target market and keeps it from being a sycophantic passion project.

 

I didn't say it should be called Celine. Actually something completely different and original would do, or a nickname? So simple. You say Aline is to appeal to others than only fans, yet the name still strongly resembles Celine, Aline sings her songs, literally acts like Celine and they reshot all the footage we know of her frame by frame.

 

The whole artistic decision sounds very calculated to me, but not in a clever way, and as a Celine's fan it offends me a bit.

 

At least I hope they will keep the title "The Power of Love" for international release.

Posted

It's a calculated artistic decision but it's clever.

 

SPOILER :

Céline was named Céline because of the song Céline by Hugues Aufray. Likewise, in the movie, Aline was named Aline because of the song Aline by singer Christophe who died this year. "Aline" was a very popular song in the sixties. It was actually one of the biggest hits of the sixties.

  • Like 5
Posted

It's a calculated artistic decision but it's clever.

 

SPOILER :

Céline was named Céline because of the song Céline by Hugues Aufray. Likewise, in the movie, Aline was named Aline because of the song Aline by singer Christophe who died this year. "Aline" was a very popular song in the sixties. It was actually one of the biggest hits of the sixties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seoUs_zFI7c

 

Aline... Thanks to my parents, I grew up listening to this song and I have to say that I love it ^_^

Posted

It's a calculated artistic decision but it's clever.

 

SPOILER :

Céline was named Céline because of the song Céline by Hugues Aufray. Likewise, in the movie, Aline was named Aline because of the song Aline by singer Christophe who died this year. "Aline" was a very popular song in the sixties. It was actually one of the biggest hits of the sixties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seoUs_zFI7c

 

Thanks! The guy even looks a bit like Céline (well, more like her father).

The best is yet to come...
Posted

I didn't say it should be called Celine. Actually something completely different and original would do, or a nickname? So simple. You say Aline is to appeal to others than only fans, yet the name still strongly resembles Celine, Aline sings her songs, literally acts like Celine and they reshot all the footage we know of her frame by frame.

 

The whole artistic decision sounds very calculated to me, but not in a clever way, and as a Celine's fan it offends me a bit.

 

At least I hope they will keep the title "The Power of Love" for international release.

Personally I'm very happy that they don't use The Power of Love. Now that's cheesy! :giggle:
  • Like 1
Posted
****Potential mild spoilers***** I went to the premiere of Aline yesterday with a Q&A with Valerie Lemercier at the end... I was very excited about this movie and had really high hopes after seeing the trailer, but I ended up a bit disappointed (I still had a good time though :)). I'll try to stay as spoiler free as possible, but if you don't want to know anything at all, please don't read further as I don't want to spoil the fun for anyone. To me it didn't go quite deep enough and didn't include (way too many) big events in Céline's life, but it was funny, relatively true to Céline, René and Thérèse's "essence" and all in all I had a good time. My dad and step mom, who are not too familiar with her life, really enjoyed the movie and confirmed she is depicted in a very good light and comes off as someone genuinely good, not superficial. Those who asked questions to Lemercier at the end of the movie all seemed super happy with the result (including people who are apparently big fans) so that's nice... :)
  • Like 4
Posted

****Potential mild spoilers***** I went to the premiere of Aline yesterday with a Q&A with Valerie Lemercier at the end... I was very excited about this movie and had really high hopes after seeing the trailer, but I ended up a bit disappointed (I still had a good time though :)). I'll try to stay as spoiler free as possible, but if you don't want to know anything at all, please don't read further as I don't want to spoil the fun for anyone. To me it didn't go quite deep enough and didn't include (way too many) big events in Céline's life, but it was funny, relatively true to Céline, René and Thérèse's "essence" and all in all I had a good time. My dad and step mom, who are not too familiar with her life, really enjoyed the movie and confirmed she is depicted in a very good light and comes off as someone genuinely good, not superficial. Those who asked questions to Lemercier at the end of the movie all seemed super happy with the result (including people who are apparently big fans) so that's nice... :)

 

If people liked it. I still want to see it :)

Posted

First video is the preview of the film, the second shows the singing voice of "Aline" in the film:

 

 

Posted (edited)

I've seen it. Finally! It was the weirdest experience watching that movie about Celine that is not actually about Celine but still it is her without being her :lol:

 

Of course, being a die-hard fan and seeing the movie will not be the same experience than just knowing Celine through her songs and some of the main events in her life. As it's been established before by Valerie, she took some liberties that fans will definitely notice but what needs to be pointed out is that she really stays true to Celine in spite of those changes. And as a movie, it is GOOD. I had some good laughs watching it, and not because it was caricatural, but because of the many humorous situations I could easily imagine being true.

 

I had a great time overall, especially during the first half of the movie, with the story of Aline becoming a star, falling in love with Guy Claude, and the marriage. The second half was good but everything was a little rushed I guess as they still had so many years/events to cover to get to René's death, sorry, Guy Claude's.

 

I will now be going into details, so major **SPOILERS** below:

 

 

The movie opens with Ordinaire (the male version) and debuts with young Anglomar and Sylvette finding each other and building a family of 13 children.

During her unexpected pregnancy with #14 we can see the video of Christophe singing on television and that's when Sylvette chooses Aline's name.

We quickly see her as a 5 years old, watching her family singing altogether at a local event. The shot after that is Aline's first performance at a wedding. I have to say that special effects are really well done even though it sure looked weird on the 5 years old Aline, it looked pretty good for the older Alines.

 

Then comes the meeting with Guy Claude, and the beginning of Aline's career. I really enjoyed watching that part. While they're in a plane to Paris, one of the flight attendants answers "3 hours and 20 minutes" to someone asking "how long til landing?". I know YOU'll get it.

 

The romance between Aline and Guy Claude takes a new turn when she gets her relooking for the Incognito era. The scene when he discovers Aline is very funny, with a slow mo of Celine opening the door and moving her hair à la L'Oreal.

 

Sylvette eventually finds out about Aline falling in love with her manager when she finds a picture of him in her bed and Immediately talks about it with her. Only after that she goes to GC and tell him he's betrayed her. The scene is really great with Sylvette threatening him to break his neck like she does with poultry if he doesn't stay away from her little princess! The actress playing Sylvette was my favorite.

 

As we all know they finally decide to live their love tohether after she wins the Eurovision contest in Switzerland.

Here's one of the biggest changes, PQTME is played at the time where Aline is interviewed and can't reveal the identity of her boyfriend (reference to Lise Payette in 1992).

 

One of my favorite scene was the proposal. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think we never knew how René proposed to Celine ? Here, it happens while they're on tour and take a day off with their team in Naples to enjoy some gelato. GC has the ring hidden in Aline's ice cream. It is very moving when she finds the ring and starts screaming "I'm gonna get married! I'm gonna get married!" then jumps in his arms, revealing their love to the world.

 

The wedding part is also really moving as we see Aline getting ready at her parents' house and they all sing to her before she leaves. The song is "Mille après mille" by Gerry Joly, a song Celine once sang with Fred Pellerin in 2012.

 

After that, GC's health problems are introduced when Celine tells a funny anecdote during a TV show with Carine (Julie Snyder) about finding her husband lying on the floor of their hotel room and struggling to transport him on a luggage cart she finds in a corridor.

 

The struggles part continues, first with Aline breaking her voice during a performance of ABM at a concert, then the struggle to have a child...

 

There's no mention of the break Celine and René took to have their first child though. Aline finds out she's 3 months pregnant while she's eating fries and GC's eating carrot soup. So she draws "BB" in GC's soup and that's how she announces the pregnancy.

 

We quickly arrive in Vegas with Aline performing every night and Junior (René-Charles) waiting every night by the bathroom window for his mom to return. When you know how elaborated the show was, of course the stage they used in the movie looks very cheap. It looks better when they use a stadium environment.

 

The following events happen very fast : Aline's father dies, the first run of the Vegas shows comes to an end, they go on tour, Junior goes to a concert for the first time, then she's pregnant with twins, and the second run in Vegas begins. Aline's exhausted, rehearsing, singing, breastfeeding, barely sleeping, but the show must go on.

 

Guy Claude gets very sick and must watch Aline perform from their home while he's slowly losing his battle with illness. When he dies, Aline thinks she can't find the strength to carry on and one night she asks her makeup artist to sleep at his appartement so she doesn't have to stay home alone. When she wakes up, she goes for a walk in sin city and can't be found when it's almost showtime. They all think of cancelling the show, but the next shot shows an empty bench where Aline was sitting earlier, leading us to believe she came back to perform.

 

The movie closes with Aline singing Ordinaire (Celine's version).

 

 

Edited by A new day...
  • Like 3
Posted (edited)

Ordinaire as the ending song of the movie. I don't even like how they recorded Céline's vocals on that song. She's like singing in a can.

 

Anyways, I can't wait to watch it :)

Edited by jpatdeleon09

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...