smw Posted September 26, 2020 at 07:44 PM Posted September 26, 2020 at 07:44 PM (edited) Keep seeing positive reviews from press screenings.Also, don’t believe this new cut had been posted: I’m excited! It looks like the film was well done and made with heart. It will be very touching & very funny but not making fun of Celine. I’m thrilled to have a movie of this scale made about Celine. And Celine’s still quite young! Has there been a large scale Barbra movie? Cher movie? I think this film will only enhance Celine’s legacy and get people talking about her / listening to her again. Edited September 26, 2020 at 07:45 PM by smw 3 Quote
scielle Posted September 26, 2020 at 08:02 PM Posted September 26, 2020 at 08:02 PM I’m thrilled to have a movie of this scale made about Celine. And Celine’s still quite young! Has there been a large scale Barbra movie? Cher movie? I think this film will only enhance Celine’s legacy and get people talking about her / listening to her again. Well, there was a Cher musical which ended up winning a bunch of Tony and Drama Desk awards. But Cher was actually one of the producers, I believe, whereas in this case Celine is entirely removed so it’s a true “arms length” homage. Quote
smw Posted September 26, 2020 at 08:07 PM Posted September 26, 2020 at 08:07 PM (edited) Well, there was a Cher musical which ended up winning a bunch of Tony and Drama Desk awards. But Cher was actually one of the producers, I believe, whereas in this case Celine is entirely removed so it’s a true “arms length” homage. Yeah, I saw that Cher musical in NYC last summer. Cher definitely shouldn’t have been involved. It wasn’t well done, in my opinion. Unfortunately, I think she stifled the creativity by making it too accurate and boring. And it closed far earlier than it should have, had it been a better show. The actress who played her, Stephanie J. Block, was great though! Still surprised there hasn’t been a big Cher film made yet. Edited September 26, 2020 at 08:19 PM by smw 1 Quote
scielle Posted September 27, 2020 at 12:21 PM Posted September 27, 2020 at 12:21 PM There's... and Aline-branded private jet! Even Celine doesn't have that! (Valerie's Tumblr: https://valerielemercier.tumblr.com/post/630278620583182336) I wonder if this is her arriving in Quebec for a press tour? If so, she'll have to spend 14 days in mandatory quarantine so can't start it until 2 weeks from now. Oy, COVID. 3 Quote
JulienMcbeal Posted September 27, 2020 at 01:59 PM Posted September 27, 2020 at 01:59 PM (edited) This movie seems honest, funny, sweet, respectful and full of love.I can't wait! Also, being a "non official" movie, without Celine being involved at all, I don't see how people could expect things we don't already know... It's not exploitative, trash and voyeuristic. It's an hommage. A love letter, even.But the general audience will learn a lot. They don't dissect Celine's every word like we do. They'll probably be hearing the tomato gardening story for the first time! Edited September 27, 2020 at 02:00 PM by JulienMcbeal 3 Quote Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans
scielle Posted September 27, 2020 at 02:44 PM Posted September 27, 2020 at 02:44 PM ... and seems that it's opening this film festival in Montreal. Javascript is not enabled OR refresh the page to viewClick here to view the Tweet Believe Celine is currently in the Laurentides so wonder when she's going to get to see it! First Montreal screening at the opening of Cinemania on November 5th, with some members of the cast in attendance -https://www.festivalcinemania.com/en/featured/aline-valerie-lemercie-ouverture-cinemania 1 Quote
scielle Posted September 27, 2020 at 02:50 PM Posted September 27, 2020 at 02:50 PM This movie seems honest, funny, sweet, respectful and full of love.I can't wait! Also, being a "non official" movie, without Celine being involved at all, I don't see how people could expect things we don't already know... It's not exploitative, trash and voyeuristic. It's an hommage. A love letter, even.But the general audience will learn a lot. They don't dissect Celine's every word like we do. They'll probably be hearing the tomato gardening story for the first time! I'm curious.On the one hand, Valerie clearly wanted some distance - changing all the names so she could take creative liberties and not have fans revolt that so-and-so didn't happen quite like that in reality (she already said for example that some events are chronologically out of place, intentionally), or choosing not to film in Celine's actual house when given the chance to do so. But on the other, she turned to Stéphane Rolland for the costumes so clearly aiming to stay close to reality on other fronts. 1 Quote
isabel leite Posted September 27, 2020 at 03:16 PM Posted September 27, 2020 at 03:16 PM This movie seems honest, funny, sweet, respectful and full of love.I can't wait! Also, being a "non official" movie, without Celine being involved at all, I don't see how people could expect things we don't already know... It's not exploitative, trash and voyeuristic. It's an hommage. A love letter, even.But the general audience will learn a lot. They don't dissect Celine's every word like we do. They'll probably be hearing the tomato gardening story for the first time! I couldn't agree more. I believe that this movie will give Non Celine Dion forum people a chance to get to know her better. I also noticed that Valerie is a fan, so the movie ( based on the interviews and the videos) will both honor and respect Celine. I quite liked the videos that I watched , she seems to have done her homework and really understood Celine's life and passions. 2 Quote
kellyfan161 Posted September 27, 2020 at 03:35 PM Posted September 27, 2020 at 03:35 PM This movie seems honest, funny, sweet, respectful and full of love.I can't wait! Also, being a "non official" movie, without Celine being involved at all, I don't see how people could expect things we don't already know... It's not exploitative, trash and voyeuristic. It's an hommage. A love letter, even.But the general audience will learn a lot. They don't dissect Celine's every word like we do. They'll probably be hearing the tomato gardening story for the first time! What’s the tomato gardening story?? Quote
JulienMcbeal Posted September 27, 2020 at 03:54 PM Posted September 27, 2020 at 03:54 PM I'm curious.On the one hand, Valerie clearly wanted some distance - changing all the names so she could take creative liberties and not have fans revolt that so-and-so didn't happen quite like that in reality (she already said for example that some events are chronologically out of place, intentionally), or choosing not to film in Celine's actual house when given the chance to do so. But on the other, she turned to Stéphane Rolland for the costumes so clearly aiming to stay close to reality on other fronts. Yes, I noticed the contradiction too.Perhaps she thought she had to change names and chronology in order to not alienate die-hard fans by creating events that didn't occur in real life for cinematographic purposes, as you point out. It sure gives her more freedom, but let's face it, it's still a panegyric biopic and we all know what's it about. It may be an easy answer to journalists' or fan's questions she came upon with during pre-prod. Valérie wanted to do what she wanted! We have to consider the fact that Valérie said she wanted to be like Céline, hence the very accurate depiction of shows and outfits. It's a gift she gives to herself! Also, these outfits are Céline's public persona. Not her day-to-day down-to-earth self. So maybe Valérie portraying Aline building the star emulates Céline building the icon. As a mise en abyme. Private scenes could be imagined (minus the ones we saw in documentaries or red in biographies) but public appearances had to stay close to reality to keep up with what we all know the movie is really about.More probably, I'm over analyzing this! Or maybe she'll put a Dallas and we discover in an insane final twist that Aline lives in a parallel universe and dreamed the whole movie, with an ever-turning microphone on her nightstand! 4 Quote Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans
couldawouldashoulda Posted September 27, 2020 at 04:43 PM Posted September 27, 2020 at 04:43 PM I couldn't agree more. I believe that this movie will give Non Celine Dion forum people a chance to get to know her better. I also noticed that Valerie is a fan, so the movie ( based on the interviews and the videos) will both honor and respect Celine. I quite liked the videos that I watched , she seems to have done her homework and really understood Celine's life and passions. Only French-speaking Non Celine Dion forum people though, yes? The movie wasn't filmed in English as well? I realize it's going to released in the English-speaking world but I imagine it's with subtitles. Non-English speaking people tend to not like subtitled films, generally. There's obviously a small portion of the population who do. I'll watch subtitled films but only if it's something in which I'm really interested. Otherwise, I stay away from them. It takes away from the experience of having to read a translation which keeps me from see the looks on the faces of the people speaking. Quote
scielle Posted September 27, 2020 at 05:03 PM Posted September 27, 2020 at 05:03 PM Only French-speaking Non Celine Dion forum people though, yes? The movie wasn't filmed in English as well? I realize it's going to released in the English-speaking world but I imagine it's with subtitles. Non-English speaking people tend to not like subtitled films, generally. There's obviously a small portion of the population who do. I'll watch subtitled films but only if it's something in which I'm really interested. Otherwise, I stay away from them. It takes away from the experience of having to read a translation which keeps me from see the looks on the faces of the people speaking. It’s far more common to watch foreign language fare (and listen to foreign language music) than it’s ever been before. You can see it in the charts, you can see it with major US entertainment companies investing heavily in foreign language content. It’s been a trend for quite some time now.And while I’m probably in the minority, I’d say personally probably 80%+ of what I watch on Netflix, Amazon, HBO, etc. is non-English. I’ve binged excellent stuff in Russian, Swedish, Italian, Norwegian, French, Spanish, Polish, Danish, German, Japanese, Icelandic and so in, all on major platforms, and I didn’t have to even work to seek it out. All content served up readily and covered heavily in English-language press. It’s more accessible and more popular than ever. (And Parasite sweeping the Oscars is just the tip of the iceberg.) 4 Quote
jpatdeleon09 Posted September 27, 2020 at 05:46 PM Posted September 27, 2020 at 05:46 PM Yeah! Parasite was shown to America with subtitles and it won an Oscars. No prob anymore with subs Quote
couldawouldashoulda Posted September 27, 2020 at 08:13 PM Posted September 27, 2020 at 08:13 PM Yeah! Parasite was shown to America with subtitles and it won an Oscars. No prob anymore with subs But Oscars have no relevance to the number of people who watched it. Just what the limited number of people who vote - all of whom are fellow artists. I wonder how much your “average Joe” watches subtitled films? Quote
jpatdeleon09 Posted September 27, 2020 at 08:33 PM Posted September 27, 2020 at 08:33 PM But Oscars have no relevance to the number of people who watched it. Just what the limited number of people who vote - all of whom are fellow artists. I wonder how much your “average Joe” watches subtitled films? That only means you’re not a fan of non english movies. There are great non english movies out there. You can even watch it on Netflix and YouTube. Try it before it’s too late lol peace Quote
couldawouldashoulda Posted September 27, 2020 at 08:46 PM Posted September 27, 2020 at 08:46 PM That only means you’re not a fan of non english movies. There are great non english movies out there. You can even watch it on Netflix and YouTube. Try it before it’s too late lol peace I already explained though why I personally don’t like them above. Life is Beautiful is one of my favorite movies and it’s subtitled. But I think that’s the only subtitled film I’ve ever watched. I didn’t watch Parasite - no desire. I don’t know anyone who watched Parasite either. (I know a small part of the population.) I’d be interested in knowing any reliable firm data on the viewing numbers for subtitled films in America. Quote
Leanne Posted September 27, 2020 at 09:14 PM Posted September 27, 2020 at 09:14 PM Here in the Netherlands barely nothing gets Dutch dubbing. Every English or other lanuage movie gets subtitles.I'm glad we always can watch the 'original' version, because I can't stand when the mouth and the voice are not fitting together. Only movies for kids who still can't read (fast enough) (like disney movies) gets dubbed. Which I find less anoying on animation movies because it's less visible) 5 Quote
jpatdeleon09 Posted September 27, 2020 at 09:53 PM Posted September 27, 2020 at 09:53 PM I already explained though why I personally don’t like them above. Life is Beautiful is one of my favorite movies and it’s subtitled. But I think that’s the only subtitled film I’ve ever watched. I didn’t watch Parasite - no desire. I don’t know anyone who watched Parasite either. (I know a small part of the population.) I’d be interested in knowing any reliable firm data on the viewing numbers for subtitled films in America. So, you still haven’t watched Parasite? Oh my G! Watch it! It’s a great film. Promise 1 Quote
JulienMcbeal Posted September 27, 2020 at 09:53 PM Posted September 27, 2020 at 09:53 PM (edited) It's interesting to notice that HBO is adapting Parasite as a TV show (with Bong Joon-Ho supervising it)... shot it in English.I know it's a national cable network, not a streaming service, but if even HBO isn't ready to show non-english speaking original content to their customers, well... They obviously think the numbers simply won't be there.There was a biding war to get this adaptation, with Netflix trying to deal with Bong too. But he chose HBO, and probably could have demand korean actors, since I'm sure Netflix was more than okay with filming in Korea; they do produce a lot of non-US shows. So I guess commercialy, non-english speaking formats are still not a trend in the general audience -or not profitable enough yet. Ironic for a story about class warfare...It's not a niche anymore, it's more popular than ever indeed, but still. It's a vicious circle: if distributors and networks and theatres don't accustom the mass audience to watch with subs, they'll still remain reluctant to subs. Aline will probably be released on streaming services, with subs. Are french films often dubbed in USA, anyway?A movie about one of the biggest star there is might bring US people into theatre, though, who knows? Even in French.It's not Amélie, but they do go to her shows listening to her old songs. Maybe her old life will interest them too. Edited September 27, 2020 at 09:54 PM by JulienMcbeal 1 Quote Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans
scielle Posted September 28, 2020 at 02:03 AM Posted September 28, 2020 at 02:03 AM It's interesting to notice that HBO is adapting Parasite as a TV show (with Bong Joon-Ho supervising it)... shot it in English.I know it's a national cable network, not a streaming service, but if even HBO isn't ready to show non-english speaking original content to their customers, well... They obviously think the numbers simply won't be there. My Brilliant Friend (in Italian & Neapolitan) is an HBO show, recently renewed for a 3rd season. Money Heist (Spanish) is a top 3 most popular show on Netflix. The chart dominance of the likes of BTS or reggaeton is well documented (I work at a major label group, and you'd be surprised how much we're investing in non-english music) There are other examples, and sure, none of these are Game of Thrones - but what is? Point is, foreign language content is far more accessible and popular than it ever was. Of course we're not talking about a mass commercial audience, and of course popular culture and entertainment is still heavily anglophone and will continue to be, but it's not as dominant as it once was. But yes, I, too, would be interested in seeing stats. 1 Quote
Chantemoi Posted September 28, 2020 at 04:37 AM Posted September 28, 2020 at 04:37 AM But Oscars have no relevance to the number of people who watched it. Just what the limited number of people who vote - all of whom are fellow artists. I wonder how much your “average Joe” watches subtitled films? Well, if our study is limited to “average” Americans, I’d say very few bother to watch subtitled films because our mainstream culture is so frighteningly ethnocentric, ignorant, and intellectually vapid. I’m making a generalization (and of course there are exceptions, such as people like yourself) but I’d venture to say that many of the people who don’t like to read subtitles often don’t like to read in general. I’d like to think that younger Americans are less so since we grew up with the internet and an unprecedented access to global communications. Luckily, I believe this movie WILL be released in the States with subtitles. It’s too big of a market to ignore. Even if it goes largely unnoticed, more people will know her story than they did before the movie! 2 Quote
Chantemoi Posted September 28, 2020 at 04:58 AM Posted September 28, 2020 at 04:58 AM It's interesting to notice that HBO is adapting Parasite as a TV show (with Bong Joon-Ho supervising it)... shot it in English.I know it's a national cable network, not a streaming service, but if even HBO isn't ready to show non-english speaking original content to their customers, well... They obviously think the numbers simply won't be there.There was a biding war to get this adaptation, with Netflix trying to deal with Bong too. But he chose HBO, and probably could have demand korean actors, since I'm sure Netflix was more than okay with filming in Korea; they do produce a lot of non-US shows. So I guess commercialy, non-english speaking formats are still not a trend in the general audience -or not profitable enough yet. Ironic for a story about class warfare...It's not a niche anymore, it's more popular than ever indeed, but still. It's a vicious circle: if distributors and networks and theatres don't accustom the mass audience to watch with subs, they'll still remain reluctant to subs. Aline will probably be released on streaming services, with subs. Are french films often dubbed in USA, anyway?A movie about one of the biggest star there is might bring US people into theatre, though, who knows? Even in French.It's not Amélie, but they do go to her shows listening to her old songs. Maybe her old life will interest them too. Interesting note about the HBO deal, but we can’t ignore the fact that America is notorious for remaking British TV shows too. It’s not always about the language itself; sometimes profits are a big reason. If they’re able to buy the rights and then sell the series as “new” and “original” because it has familiar actors, accents, and cities -then they might get more viewers. Again, generally Americans think the world revolves around America lol. “Aline” might score one advantage: a lot of the film presumably takes place in the U.S. and centers around a familiar and highly revered pop singer. Given the popularity of recent biopics of famous musicians, I think this movie will absolutely be seen and noticed here. Even “La vie en rose (La môme)” did well here for a foreign film, and I’m quite certain many people who saw it had no clue about Edith Piaf beforehand. Did the “average” American see it? No, definitely not. But hell! Marion Cotillard won the Oscar for Best Actress - the highest honor in the film industry! 2 Quote
jpatdeleon09 Posted September 29, 2020 at 10:47 PM Posted September 29, 2020 at 10:47 PM I hope more updates and new trailer from this upcoming movie 1 Quote
JulienMcbeal Posted September 30, 2020 at 10:55 PM Posted September 30, 2020 at 10:55 PM (edited) My Brilliant Friend (in Italian & Neapolitan) is an HBO show, recently renewed for a 3rd season.Money Heist (Spanish) is a top 3 most popular show on Netflix.The chart dominance of the likes of BTS or reggaeton is well documented (I work at a major label group, and you'd be surprised how much we're investing in non-english music) There are other examples, and sure, none of these are Game of Thrones - but what is? Point is, foreign language content is far more accessible and popular than it ever was. Of course we're not talking about a mass commercial audience, and of course popular culture and entertainment is still heavily anglophone and will continue to be, but it's not as dominant as it once was. But yes, I, too, would be interested in seeing stats. Oh I agree, my point was about mass audience.Isn't the Italian community big, though? Maybe the Korean too, I don't know actually, but isn't Sandra Oh the only high profile TV actress from Korean roots? And she's canadian. (Sorry if I forget others! ). From this side of the Ocean, it looks like francophilie is often a bourgeois thing?It's not like the USA seem to care about Céline's french songs.Plus My brilliant friend is a bestseller and Parasite an award winning movie. But I guess that's what it takes to compete nowadays. Producers rely on past success to build more success, nothing's new here. Netflix produce a lot of foreign content (it's kinda expected of them), are they a mass succes ins the US? It's great if it is the case (and BTS is indeed BIG!). Can you recommend network or cable TV US shows in a foreign langage? I'm very interested to see what it's like! Obviously this interest is growing which is great.Not enough yet, so let's campaign for a theatre release of Aline! Edited September 30, 2020 at 11:03 PM by JulienMcbeal Quote Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans
smw Posted September 30, 2020 at 11:50 PM Posted September 30, 2020 at 11:50 PM (edited) Helen Reddy passed away today.Like Celine, a movie was recently made about her life.She was such a force in the 1970s!Google interviews with her... she was iconic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf58dxvkG9A It looks very good! Edited September 30, 2020 at 11:51 PM by smw Quote
scielle Posted October 1, 2020 at 02:17 AM Posted October 1, 2020 at 02:17 AM (edited) Can you recommend network or cable TV US shows in a foreign langage? I'm very interested to see what it's like! I haven't had cable for probably upwards of 20 years, so can't help there. It's all OTT for me! Anyway, here's the first long-form review I've seen thus far: https://www.cineseri...nature-3761122/ Also, this site has a bunch of stills: http://www.allocine.fr/personne/fichepersonne-12093/photos/ Edited October 1, 2020 at 02:30 AM by scielle Quote
PuraVida Posted October 1, 2020 at 02:31 AM Posted October 1, 2020 at 02:31 AM Helen Reddy passed away today.Like Celine, a movie was recently made about her life.She was such a force in the 1970s!Google interviews with her... she was iconic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf58dxvkG9A It looks very good! It is so sad she won't be around to see this movie. That's one famous singer I haven't ever heard Celine speak of, sing, or interact with... but RIP to her. Had no idea she lived in the States these days. 1 Quote
scielle Posted October 1, 2020 at 03:06 PM Posted October 1, 2020 at 03:06 PM More preview dates announced: Javascript is not enabled OR refresh the page to viewClick here to view the Tweet 1 Quote
jpatdeleon09 Posted October 1, 2020 at 05:14 PM Posted October 1, 2020 at 05:14 PM More preview dates announced: Javascript is not enabled OR refresh the page to viewClick here to view the Tweet So, this will be shown in theaters? So, in this cities? There’s no virus anymore like covid free? Quote
scielle Posted October 1, 2020 at 06:07 PM Posted October 1, 2020 at 06:07 PM So, this will be shown in theaters? So, in this cities? There’s no virus anymore like covid free? It’s been in theatres (previews) for several weeks now. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.