Jump to content

Céline Dion and the Paris 2024 Summer Olympic Games


Recommended Posts

Posted

Just listened to this as didn't really want it confirmed but I can't hear any differences at all, other than the slight polishing in studio, and a couple of delays on the vocal delivery of certain phrasing, and in actual fact most of the voice cracks are still in there.

 

As I've said, I take nothing away from her overall performance and will to even make it to this point but a subpar vocal from nearly 10 years ago makes me worry for the future. Are we going to have a whole mimed show? And this is me only being honest and disappointed to boot. As Chantemoi said, and put so much more eloquently than me, why go to such lengths to be truthful in every regard, sharing her own insecurities etc about her vocal standards and telling us her voice will be rebuilt if we're still going to get the same old playbacks after playbacks going forward. This is where the real cheating lies in my eyes. Now is the time to give us what she can, and if that's 50% of before, I'm fine with that, given everything she's gone and going through.

 

I love her and it pains me to say this and I don't understand why the lip syncing non believers are coming for us realists. Again, lip syncing here at such an event is expected but at least give us a new pre-recorded track.

 

I won't say another word on the subject and am proud of the outpouring of love the world has shown her since the performance, as I've said that's no more than she deserves but wish it was offered to her when she was at the top of her game.

 

Just listened to it too. First of all, very cool hearing it like that, a big thank you to John! To my ears though, this just shows how different the vocals really are. Like others have said, some slight differences in pronunciation but also some note endings in 2015 were more nasal which is also something that no software can modify. Honestly, it just sounds like two different takes, obviously sung by the same person but one was on a bad day (2015) while the other was on a good day (2024). They sound like they could’ve literally been recorded days apart but in fact it’s 9 years. I suppose Céline with SPS under control sounds the same as she did before the disease really started taking away her ability to sing the way she wanted to, and to me that sounds a lot like her early 2010s voice.

  • Like 3
The best is yet to come...
Posted

Where is the official performance video! Come on TeamCeline!! Don’t wait for the moment to surpass!

 

Kev x

 

maybe they wait til the end of the Olympics and make a whole compilation - music - video?

Posted (edited)
Hi here is my take on all of this.Of course its my opinion and I do respect everyones opinion. Celine has been through so much in the last years,and in spite of that she still misses her fans as she says 'The People' and performing because that is who she is.She could have just retired.It would have been so much easier.She makes this enormous effort to return to the public eye,and in the biggest way possible.Performing at the olympics with the world watching her. So to me the only thing that should matter is the fact that she did it.I mean to me she could have just walked out in a bath robe and sang the McDonalds happy meal song I would still be in awe.I have never seen such courage, strenght and determination in a person.She truly is special and unique. Not to mention that she did all that without Rene the one person that she really counted on.By the way he must be so proud that this was her comeback.Even though she looks and sounds amazing lets not forget that she still has SPS.We don't know what the future brings.So lets just be there for the tree and enjoy whatever she has to offer. Edited by Leite
  • Like 3
Posted

Unless they want to release both an official video of the song on YT and the song itself on streaming platforms on Friday to have a full week of streams (if they aim to charting purposes)

 

Then that should’ve been last Friday, to utilize the full week and the full momentum of the performance.

  • Like 2
The best is yet to come...
Posted

Wonder if wrote it before Celine sang this year since published on the 26th.

Well Gojira from the Paris opening is at #3 so clearly written after.

  • Like 1
Posted

I agree with all of this! Her pronunciation overall was more clear too. Wouldn't it be great if her tone could sound even slightly like 2011 again?

 

Well if “Hymne à l’amour” is any indication, it’s looking (well, sounding) good.

The best is yet to come...
Posted

We got the best vocals in years

And is definitely not 2015 is 2024

 

She sung it live

 

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGeWco63y/

 

I think the broadcast had some problems with the sync

  • Like 3

#FREEJAVITO

 

Posted

We got the best vocals in years

And is definitely not 2015 is 2024

 

She sung it live

 

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGeWco63y/

 

I think the broadcast had some problems with the sync

Yes, I’ve noticed people are linking to videos which are not what actually aired live (and on the feed for those of us there in person).

Posted

[PODCAST] L’émouvant retour de Céline Dion

 

 

J’ai rêvé à la performance de Céline

 

  • Like 3

'I am, in life and death, the woman of only one man.'

Celine Dion My Story, My Dream

Posted
So I’ve been attending a ton of Olympic events since Friday, and there’s this cool thing they’re doing to warm up the crowd at the venues during breaks. They have the audience sing karaoke to French classics (and people do sing along en masse). I’m hoping one day PQTME will pop up on the screen somewhere!
  • Like 1
Posted

Exactly why I love Céline. She literally teaches me how to be thoughtful and respectful in the world. Beyond her music, I love how René and her handled her career as well as understanding their philosophies about fame. That when you walk around in public, its not just your life but also the life of your fans and you always have to be grateful, graceful but also have firm boundaries and speak up only when it makes sense and is important to do so. People literally don't give Céline enough credit for being a Bosswoman who doesn't take anyones crap but that's because she always does it in a way that disarms the people around her and refrains from "shading" anyone around her

 

Also why I think, we never see her just traveling and having fun because I think, life for her is always work because of the expectations she puts on herself to give 100%. At the end of the day, she's happy "picking her tomatoes" at home and spending time with her kids and only getting out of the house when she wants to work.

 

She's the perfect diplomat.

 

That's a great point, that if she views the public this way then any public outing is indeed work.

 

That when you walk around in public, its not just your life but also the life of your fans and you always have to be grateful, graceful but also have firm boundaries and speak up only when it makes sense and is important to do so

 

Any chance you remember a specific place where that's from? I'm actually going to take a dedicated fresh look through her bios/documentaries now to re-learn to appreciate Celine as an adult Most of this content was swallowed whole as a teenager and I'm definitely lucky for the subconscious imprinting on how to be a Good Person... But in these past weeks of diving deeper than I have in ages, I'm discovering this gift that keeps giving and am quite keen to consume all this content again with a new lens lol.

Philadelphia, PA, Sept 5 2008.

New York, NY, Sept 16 2008, Madison-Freaking-Square Garden.

Posted

From Today Show's Youtube

 

Celine Dion’s opening ceremony performance dazzles fans

 

https://youtu.be/ZBw9I5IGcpY

'I am, in life and death, the woman of only one man.'

Celine Dion My Story, My Dream

Posted

Well perhaps I need to give them both a listen again, one after the other but side by side in left and right ears it sounds identical. There's no way she could sing it that close and with 10 year old vocals and replicate it that exact, even using that performance for a reference.

 

Other than the many differences, it can't be the same take for one good and obvious reason : last Friday she sang live. She didn't lipsync at all. It's been confirmed by the organizers of the show.

  • Like 1
Posted (edited)

Think about it seriously… the organisers are hardly gonna say yeah we flew her over and she mimed to vocals she just recorded recently.

 

It was pissing down also, look at the ground, Scott’s piano and his glasses, they really gonna hand her a live mic when it could have got way worse from a sound point of view in regards to rain and wind… come on people!!!!

 

They cancelled the drones due to the weather.

 

Btw: I was over this half an hour after it aired… but whatever you believe… let’s agree to disagree and move on!

 

Vegas is next :)

Edited by Shamrock_1982
  • Like 2
Posted

Think about it seriously… the organisers are hardly gonna say yeah we flew her over and she mimed to vocals she just recorded recently.

Well the organizers flew in Gaga and still said outright that her performance was pre-taped because of the rain.

  • Like 3
Posted (edited)

That's a great point, that if she views the public this way then any public outing is indeed work.

 

 

 

Any chance you remember a specific place where that's from? I'm actually going to take a dedicated fresh look through her bios/documentaries now to re-learn to appreciate Celine as an adult �� Most of this content was swallowed whole as a teenager and I'm definitely lucky for the subconscious imprinting on how to be a Good Person... But in these past weeks of diving deeper than I have in ages, I'm discovering this gift that keeps giving and am quite keen to consume all this content again with a new lens lol.

 

Here's a few YouTube clips of interviews regarding Fame and what not. There's been many clips on her talking about Fame and having opinions as a public figure but I can't find them all. A lot of what I said is also through observation as well so take that as you will :)

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zovdr9TlCrEhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTWRn3VSegA

 

Edited by ewh12
  • Like 1
Posted (edited)
Gaga wasn’t making a comeback for the first time in years and there’s a difference in pre recorded and miming. Edited by Shamrock_1982
Posted

 

 

Here's a few YouTube clips of interviews regarding Fame and what not. There's been many clips on her talking about Fame and having opinions as a public figure but I can't find them all. A lot of what I said is also through observation as well so take that as you will :)

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTWRn3VSegA

 

Oh wow I’ve never seen these thanks!!

Philadelphia, PA, Sept 5 2008.

New York, NY, Sept 16 2008, Madison-Freaking-Square Garden.

Posted
Nice to see all the news stories about high TV ratings for the ceremony in both France and the US. But also, stories about the significant uptick in L’hymne a l’amour streams resulting from Celine’s performance. What a shame they didn’t have a release of Celine’s version all ready to go. Such a missed opportunity.
  • Like 6
Posted

Gaga wasn’t making a comeback for the first time in years and there’s a difference in pre recorded and miming.

Preach! Aside me posting on here after many years and making stoopid jokes, this was such a triumph for her and us fans. Hence I posted after so many years. I haven't been on such a Céline high in ages. And as y'all said, it's common that Olympic performances are pre-recorded. That's not even up for discussion, it's a well known fact.

 

Let's get back and enjoy these tremendous moments of the current global Céline appreciation! 🖤

Posted

I absolutely resent the remark that I’m hating on her. I’ve always been in her corner, been a fan for going on 30 years, probably longer than some members on this forum have been alive and I only want what’s best for her, always.

 

I never asked for a side by side comparison to the 2015 vocal, honestly it’s like lighting the torch paper and watching it go, saying it’s definitely a new version, then wait…no it’s the same. Then do a full 360 and start praising her to the heavens. I’m done with this conversation now. I have my concerns and that’s what they are, concerns for her welfare and current health state more than anything else.

 

 

  • Like 1
Posted

 

 

Other than the many differences, it can't be the same take for one good and obvious reason : last Friday she sang live. She didn't lipsync at all. It's been confirmed by the organizers of the show.

 

Do you believe everything that is told you on the internet? Its 100% not live.

  • Like 1
Posted

Sometimes you have to learn to stay curious and other times learn to accept what’s being told to you at face value.

 

It was a beautiful performance and I’m glad I got to experience it :)

  • Like 2
Posted
Nice to see all the news stories about high TV ratings for the ceremony in both France and the US. But also, stories about the significant uptick in Lhymne a lamour streams resulting from Celines performance. What a shame they didnt have a release of Celines version all ready to go. Such a missed opportunity.
Yet we got a single for TSMGO right before the Billboard performance haha

 

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-F721B met Tapatalk

 

 

Posted (edited)

It’s still sinking in for me how big this was… A global-reaching performance from the Eiffel Tower. Makes something like a Super Bowl halftime show look like small potatoes.

 

Edited by smw
  • Like 3
Posted
Is she really the only one who has sang twice at the Olympics?
  • Like 1
Posted

Oh wow I've never seen these thanks!!

 

Here is a private playlist I made of a ton of her English interviews, not performances, from 1987 till now somewhat in order of when would have aired. Some I upload to my own youtube channel incase the originator took them down, so if run into any can't view let me know and I can send you a separate link.

 

  • Like 4

'I am, in life and death, the woman of only one man.'

Celine Dion My Story, My Dream

Posted (edited)

 

 

Here is a private playlist I made of a ton of her English interviews, not performances, from 1987 till now somewhat in order of when would have aired. Some I upload to my own youtube channel incase the originator took them down, so if run into any can't view let me know and I can send you a separate link.

 

 

Oh wow epic thank you!!!🙏 omg seriously this is Some collection. Woohoo!! I feel like a teenage fanatic again. Thanks!!

Edited by lyn

Philadelphia, PA, Sept 5 2008.

New York, NY, Sept 16 2008, Madison-Freaking-Square Garden.

Posted (edited)

From what I’ve learned, Anne Murray doesn’t hand out compliments unless she really respects a person. So this was lovely and high praise from one Canadian icon to another:

 

 

And Cyndi Lauper’s messages are so kind!

 

Edited by smw
  • Like 3

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...