fred Posted January 21, 2012 at 01:26 PM Posted January 21, 2012 at 01:26 PM I'm glad you included Eva Cassidy! I love her, but she's only slightly known in the U.S. I bought her very first CD with Chuck Brown, and it just came in the mail today. Sorry, I know that was kind of off-topic haha.Eva is kind of sacred to me. She was incredible. And not even knowing it herself. She had a huge pressure on herself when it came to performing, she rarely felt she was good enough. And still she was above all the rest. She along with Nina Simone is truly the master of covering songs. The Other Side is good. When you're done exploring it I recommend the following albums: Songbird, Imagine and Live At Blues Alley. Enjoy! /fred Peace and love to all.
Prince Whiskers Posted January 21, 2012 at 01:26 PM Posted January 21, 2012 at 01:26 PM Etta is dead?! Celine's take on "At Last" hits all the notes but doesn't come anywhere close to the beauty of the Etta interpretation. Covers per se are not a bad idea but you have to make smart choices. It's one thing to redo songs by ordinary singers like Jennifer Rush and Pandora's Box; it's another to touch the classics of the legends and make them the, uh, highlight of your upcoming album. http://cdn.webecoist.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/modern-pet-solo-blown-glass.jpg
Alex_Incognito Posted January 21, 2012 at 03:20 PM Posted January 21, 2012 at 03:20 PM Etta is dead?! Celine's take on "At Last" hits all the notes but doesn't come anywhere close to the beauty of the Etta interpretation. I whole heartedly disagree. Celine's interpretation of "At Last" (on the album, at least) is beautiful and fresh. "People pay 20-25 dollars to see you."- Céline Dion, 1990
Bell Posted January 21, 2012 at 05:11 PM Posted January 21, 2012 at 05:11 PM Celine's take on "At Last" hits all the notes but doesn't come anywhere close to the beauty of the Etta interpretation.You know, I think that such songs simply need a 'black' voice. 16 YEARS A FORUM MEMBER
GoldenLeaf Posted January 21, 2012 at 06:19 PM Posted January 21, 2012 at 06:19 PM (edited) Etta is dead?! Celine's take on "At Last" hits all the notes but doesn't come anywhere close to the beauty of the Etta interpretation. Covers per se are not a bad idea but you have to make smart choices. It's one thing to redo songs by ordinary singers like Jennifer Rush and Pandora's Box; it's another to touch the classics of the legends and make them the, uh, highlight of your upcoming album.I disagree. Celine has brought this Ray Eberle and Pat Friday song to a new level with her gorgeous interpretation and fresh arrangements. She sings it like a woman truly in love.As for the covers thing, which legends are you referring to? I hope you're not considering people like Billy Joel, Shirley Bassey, Journey and Janis Ian as ''legends''. You know, I think that such songs simply need a 'black' voice.Another thing I totally disagree with. Edited January 21, 2012 at 06:49 PM by Calypso
LVCeline Posted January 21, 2012 at 06:53 PM Posted January 21, 2012 at 06:53 PM I'm sorry but I think all this Etta worship is overrated. Everything about her is overrated and to think that other people can't touch "her" song is ridiculous. Celine's version is better by a million miles I think.
Prince Whiskers Posted January 21, 2012 at 07:19 PM Posted January 21, 2012 at 07:19 PM You know, I think that such songs simply need a 'black' voice. Certain songs need 'soul' or 'rawness' or 'spontaneity'. Just bec. you have a technically perfect voice doesn't mean you're gonna ace AL, Natural Woman, Nature Boy, Paganini... http://cdn.webecoist.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/modern-pet-solo-blown-glass.jpg
Cecile Posted January 21, 2012 at 07:29 PM Posted January 21, 2012 at 07:29 PM A new album?? WOW that would be great but hey everyone, remember she has Eddy and Nelson to help grow up and there was a special on HARPO showing that Celine told a reporter that being pregnant again is not a closed subject! What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas! I can understand her wanting more children around her after the loss of her Dad and the possibility of other losses in her family since she is the youngest, I would want as many children as I could have (and afford) if just never to be "ALONE"! I saw her Taking Chances tour at Madison Square Garden and it was MAGNIFIQUE! I got to talk with Rene, and I knew she was feeling bad with her migraine. To perform so great and be sick??? What a trooper! We fans should give her and her family all the support we can in the form of prayers and happiness. I know, I do. And to see RC doing her James Bond...WOW that kid is so funny and talented too. I hope he continues to be involved with show business since he is showing the gift of musicality and being an actor so young in his life. I know he loves he two brothers and I know Celine would love to have at least one little girl to spoil. Hello, My name is Cecile (Pronounced Say-Seal) but you can call me C or Cece. I have been a Celine fan from the start. I love to say things like she does since I speak French fluently. A ce soir,Cecile
Alex_Incognito Posted January 21, 2012 at 07:29 PM Posted January 21, 2012 at 07:29 PM I'm sorry but I think all this Etta worship is overrated. Everything about her is overrated and to think that other people can't touch "her" song is ridiculous. Celine's version is better by a million miles I think. Amen. "People pay 20-25 dollars to see you."- Céline Dion, 1990
CelineAndRene Posted January 21, 2012 at 07:34 PM Posted January 21, 2012 at 07:34 PM (edited) I whole heartedly disagree. Celine's interpretation of "At Last" (on the album, at least) is beautiful and fresh. :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2: Etta James wasn't that good. I think even her inflated ego thought her version was the best. Everybody sets up her 'At Last' version like its gold that can never be touched. And now that she's dead, it's going to be a circus for a while of those type of comments I feel. Although I will kind of agree with Etta that Beyonce's version was horrendous. Edited January 21, 2012 at 07:36 PM by CelineAndRene "...It's the circle of life. You gotta look forward. Two days during the year there's nothing you can do about: yesterday and tomorrow. Today is a great day." - Celine Dion, People.
ferjaacu Posted January 21, 2012 at 07:46 PM Posted January 21, 2012 at 07:46 PM I don't think Jennifer Rush was an "ordinary singer" at all... Of course, she wasn't even close to Celine's league, but she was big back in her days... TPOL was actually a big hit of hers About At Last, I don't think any of those versions (Celine's and Etta) was better than the other. They were just different and both are great http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3216/5786913948_369265dbeb_m.jpg FERLO
GoldenLeaf Posted January 21, 2012 at 10:09 PM Posted January 21, 2012 at 10:09 PM (edited) I'm sorry but I think all this Etta worship is overrated. Everything about her is overrated and to think that other people can't touch "her" song is ridiculous. Celine's version is better by a million miles I think.Ditto! No wonder Etta is on my Top50 list of the most annoying/overrated singers of all time (along with Nina Simone, Aretha Franklin, Amy Winehouse...) Edited January 21, 2012 at 10:13 PM by Calypso
celinemaniacaik Posted January 21, 2012 at 10:29 PM Posted January 21, 2012 at 10:29 PM I think Celine's version of At last was really good! Its one of my favourites! http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lwk66t4rhm1r2j3uro1_500.jpg Follow Me On TUMBLR: Celinedion4ever
ashtonelijah Posted January 21, 2012 at 11:18 PM Posted January 21, 2012 at 11:18 PM My all-time favorite performance of "At Last" is actually Beyoncé's at President Obama's inaugural ball. I just think it's really special in many ways. Etta James' is classic. It's my favorite vocal of the song. I appreciate Céline's version being more of a tribute than a cover. Christina Aguilera's version of At Last is... horrible. She riffs EVERYTHING. Can't stand it. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v27/warathogwarts/lovedmebackbanner.jpg
celinemaniacaik Posted January 21, 2012 at 11:29 PM Posted January 21, 2012 at 11:29 PM OH MY DAYS!!!I just listened to 'the show must go on' again TC tour version!AND I TOTALLY LOVE CELINE ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL OVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!I dont care whats on that new album, I love her.No complaints. http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lwk66t4rhm1r2j3uro1_500.jpg Follow Me On TUMBLR: Celinedion4ever
CelinesDIVO5 Posted January 22, 2012 at 05:02 AM Posted January 22, 2012 at 05:02 AM As for the covers thing, which legends are you referring to? I hope you're not considering people like Billy Joel, Shirley Bassey, Journey and Janis Ian as ''legends''. Actually, Billy Joel is quite the legend in the US....ESPECIALLY if you're from New York. Journey they are iconic, and Shirley Bassey is most definitely a legend in her own right. I never knew who Janis Ian was, so I can't really say anything about her. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL54qnRGM2gMatthew Charles - "Fix You" - Live at The Stonewall InnStonewall Sensation - Season 15Originally written and performed by Coldplay
TommKat22 Posted January 22, 2012 at 07:35 AM Posted January 22, 2012 at 07:35 AM Eva is kind of sacred to me. She was incredible. And not even knowing it herself. She had a huge pressure on herself when it came to performing, she rarely felt she was good enough. And still she was above all the rest. She along with Nina Simone is truly the master of covering songs. The Other Side is good. When you're done exploring it I recommend the following albums: Songbird, Imagine and Live At Blues Alley. Enjoy! /fred Thank you Fred! I do intend on getting all her albums when I have the chance. Just need the money to do it first. haha Tommy
Bell Posted January 22, 2012 at 11:05 AM Posted January 22, 2012 at 11:05 AM No wonder Etta is on my Top50 list of the most annoying/overrated singers of all time (along with Nina Simone, Aretha Franklin, Amy Winehouse...)This is off topic but I have to say it. Nina Simone & Aretha Franklin overrated? I can't agree. 16 YEARS A FORUM MEMBER
Bell Posted January 22, 2012 at 11:16 AM Posted January 22, 2012 at 11:16 AM and it wasn't so difficult to find original songs for her french albums when you think about it... 3 of her biggest French albums were written entirely by the same guy. They pretty much gave him "carte blanche" to write anything he wanted, everytime. Even if they are original songs, it was still a pretty "lazy" process. They didnt have to think much cause they knew Jean-Jacques Goldman would deliever.They gave him "carte blanche" because anything he wrote, everytime was perfect. and Celine Chante Plamondon was pratically just coversYes, but what covers! and they're doing the same thing again with the next French album: they are putting their entire faith and trust on plamondon.Yes, for a certain reason - he's flawless! I don't think they will ever give "carte blanche" to just one writer in english and ask him/her to write an entire album.Maybe there's just no such person that can match Goldman and Palmondon. 16 YEARS A FORUM MEMBER
Prince Whiskers Posted January 22, 2012 at 12:37 PM Posted January 22, 2012 at 12:37 PM Etta is not overrated. She's quite underrated actually. Great combo of sass and soul. Aretha is not overrated. She paved the way for a whole generation of power singers which included...Celine. Whitney set the template for the modern diva ballad. Mariah inspired a slew of wannabes with her vocal riffs. Celine's ticket to immortality was, ahem, MHWGO but I (we?) want to see her furthering her music, applying her instincts fearlessly, and carving out an undeniable artistic legacy. Another round of Vegas residency and another album feat. attempts on signature songs of other singers just won't cut it. http://cdn.webecoist.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/modern-pet-solo-blown-glass.jpg
dj4celine Posted January 22, 2012 at 01:20 PM Posted January 22, 2012 at 01:20 PM I totally agree with Manuel here. I can't believe that some of you even question the legendary status of icons like Etta James, Aretha Franklin, Nina Simone etc. Just shows how limited you know about what they did for the music industry. When it comes to the legendary status of Celine in the music industry, it's very debatable. So it's like the pot calling the kettle black. Anyways, going back to the album discussions, I think we should keep the Titanic OST in a different topic and concentrate here only on the English album, well, unless, the duet will be included in the album as well
Javito Posted January 22, 2012 at 01:23 PM Posted January 22, 2012 at 01:23 PM (edited) Dion Chante Plamondon was an album of covers yes, but that can't be compared at all with the english covers she's singing in Vegas, in terms of popularity. How many people in the world knew the Plamondon songs, internationally, before Céline sang them? (and even today I would say), and how many people in the audience of the colosseum already know the songs she's singing in english? It's very different In any case, bless those french covers! Céline made those songs her own, but is she doing the same with Open Arms, Goldfinguer or Lullaby? Absolutely not Edited January 22, 2012 at 01:26 PM by Javito "Hush, now... I see a light in the sky"
fred Posted January 22, 2012 at 01:25 PM Posted January 22, 2012 at 01:25 PM Ditto! No wonder Etta is on my Top50 list of the most annoying/overrated singers of all time (along with Nina Simone, Aretha Franklin, Amy Winehouse...)And who's on your list of geniuses then? Britney and Beonce? /fred Peace and love to all.
celinefanonline Posted January 22, 2012 at 01:36 PM Posted January 22, 2012 at 01:36 PM oh my god this topic is way out off topic...... i do agree and disagree with some point but the main thing in this topic is about the new album news and stuff but no nothing, just fans talkin about covers, other singers comparing here and there??? and some even kind of talking our Celine down a bit.... oh well.. should this forum rename Divas forum??? probably... plz i want news about the new album.... Courage don't you dare fail me now!
pepillo90 Posted January 22, 2012 at 03:04 PM Posted January 22, 2012 at 03:04 PM Etta is not overrated. She's quite underrated actually. Great combo of sass and soul. Aretha is not overrated. She paved the way for a whole generation of power singers which included...Celine. Whitney set the template for the modern diva ballad. Mariah inspired a slew of wannabes with her vocal riffs. Celine's ticket to immortality was, ahem, MHWGO but I (we?) want to see her furthering her music, applying her instincts fearlessly, and carving out an undeniable artistic legacy. Another round of Vegas residency and another album feat. attempts on signature songs of other singers just won't cut it. I totally agree with Manuel here. I can't believe that some of you even question the legendary status of icons like Etta James, Aretha Franklin, Nina Simone etc. Just shows how limited you know about what they did for the music industry. When it comes to the legendary status of Celine in the music industry, it's very debatable. So it's like the pot calling the kettle black. Anyways, going back to the album discussions, I think we should keep the Titanic OST in a different topic and concentrate here only on the English album, well, unless, the duet will be included in the album as well I completely agree with both of you. Back when I was younger I used to thought that Celine legacy and her importance in the music industry was incredible... But by the time I was getting older, I just realized how beyond many other artists she was... She has never done anything new, she's just following the music industry... I mean... Yes, she has an incredible voice, there's no doubt about it, but what she sings and the way she sings it's something we've seen in many other artists. She's the best at it, but it's nothing no one has ever seen before. Look at Ella Fitgzerald, the way she sings scat... She introduce that!!! And now, 60 years later, Celine's doing it in Mr. Pagannini. No words for Aretha, she has done much more in music industry (regarding female singers) than anyone in the last century. Regina Spektor, sneezing, dolphins sounds.... Weird, but new. Feist, her acknowledge of music is amazing, she can do whatever she wants, but once again, it's new stuff. Even Mariah did something different with her whistle singing... Madonna is always a step further of the music industry. She's not good at singing, but she has vision... But Céline has only belted notes for 30 years, but nothing never seen before. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v622/pepillo90/swingit.jpg ► My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/arts_yard/
Bell Posted January 22, 2012 at 04:22 PM Posted January 22, 2012 at 04:22 PM plz i want news about the new album....Me too. 16 YEARS A FORUM MEMBER
duri Posted January 22, 2012 at 04:28 PM Posted January 22, 2012 at 04:28 PM Me too.Well after 31.1. Céline will continue recording so maybe in two weeks there will be some info, let´s hope. http://www.supermusic.sk/obrazky/80543_Celine%209.jpg
Bell Posted January 22, 2012 at 04:36 PM Posted January 22, 2012 at 04:36 PM Oh, yes, all we can do now is hope. 16 YEARS A FORUM MEMBER
Kyle_Jared Posted January 22, 2012 at 05:15 PM Posted January 22, 2012 at 05:15 PM (edited) I'm assumuing by this time next month we'll at least have some news on the Album, as her break in February will be over and her recording will be fnished up. Madonna's not releasing her album until late March and the album name is already out ( M.D.N.A) and the first single (Gimmie all your lovin' With Niki Minaj) is dropping next week. Faith Hill has a new album coming the end of February and she has already perfomred her new single twice (once back in November on CMA awards) and just a week ago on People's Choice Awards. So, we should have single from Celine at the lastest March. I mean, in the business you gotta have promo stuff booked months in advance. Surely her team know details as April/May is not that far off and her appearances would have to be coordinated in advance of the albums launch. Edited January 22, 2012 at 05:18 PM by Kyle_Jared
Javito Posted January 22, 2012 at 06:04 PM Posted January 22, 2012 at 06:04 PM oh my god this topic is way out off topic...... i do agree and disagree with some point but the main thing in this topic is about the new album news and stuff but no nothing, just fans talkin about covers, other singers comparing here and there??? and some even kind of talking our Celine down a bit.... oh well.. should this forum rename Divas forum??? probably... plz i want news about the new album.... But what we can do if there are not news? Because they don't give us any? I completely agree with both of you. Back when I was younger I used to thought that Celine legacy and her importance in the music industry was incredible... But by the time I was getting older, I just realized how beyond many other artists she was... She has never done anything new, she's just following the music industry... I mean... Yes, she has an incredible voice, there's no doubt about it, but what she sings and the way she sings it's something we've seen in many other artists. She's the best at it, but it's nothing no one has ever seen before. Look at Ella Fitgzerald, the way she sings scat... She introduce that!!! And now, 60 years later, Celine's doing it in Mr. Pagannini. No words for Aretha, she has done much more in music industry (regarding female singers) than anyone in the last century. Regina Spektor, sneezing, dolphins sounds.... Weird, but new. Feist, her acknowledge of music is amazing, she can do whatever she wants, but once again, it's new stuff. Even Mariah did something different with her whistle singing... Madonna is always a step further of the music industry. She's not good at singing, but she has vision... But Céline has only belted notes for 30 years, but nothing never seen before. In fact she used to be different from the rest when she did rare things with her voice, controlling her breath like in Cherche Encore, or like the sounds of instruments she did in the Paris concert of 1995, but that was when she cared about showing off her voice and trying to do different things each time, not only just belting notes (agree with your opinion on this). Today... no more surprises http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ytw5gwaQh4Q "Hush, now... I see a light in the sky"
Recommended Posts