CellyDee87 Posted December 4, 2008 at 05:40 PM Posted December 4, 2008 at 05:40 PM Wow I've just taken the time to actually read the lyrics properly, what a great song for her to song, it really speaks to her and this was so evident in her magical performance, it has really grown on me since last night Quote
Your_Su_Phu Posted December 4, 2008 at 05:41 PM Posted December 4, 2008 at 05:41 PM (edited) yeah it's from her official forum. she's apparently very active online and is against RIAA or sth like that. hehe. some of the ppl on her forum where she said that don't find it believable that celine had a hard time in high school but they don't know about the whole "vampire dion" bit (!!) god what an amazing compliment. from the very own songwriter that means anyone who bashes it should JUMP OFF A BRIDGE "AT SEVENTEEN" By Janis Ian I learned the truth at seventeen That love was meant for beauty queens And high school girls with clear skinned smiles Who married young and then retired The valentines I never knew The Friday night charades of youth Were spent on one more beautiful At seventeen I learned the truth... And those of us with ravaged faces Lacking in the social graces Desperately remained at home Inventing lovers on the phone Who called to say "come dance with me" And murmured vague obscenities It isn't all it seems at seventeen... A brown eyed girl in hand me downs Whose name I never could pronounce Said: "Pity please the ones who serve They only get what they deserve" The rich relationed hometown queen Marries into what she needs With a guarantee of company And haven for the elderly... So remember those who win the game Lose the love they sought to gain In debitures of quality and dubious integrity Their small-town eyes will gape at you In dull surprise when payment due Exceeds accounts received at seventeen... To those of us who knew the pain Of valentines that never came And those whose names were never called When choosing sides for basketball It was long ago and far away the world was younger than today when dreams were all they gave for free to ugly duckling girls like me... We all play the game, and when we dare We cheat ourselves at solitaire Inventing lovers on the phone Repenting other lives unknown That call and say: "Come on, dance with me" And murmur vague obscenities At ugly girls like me, at seventeen... Edited December 4, 2008 at 05:43 PM by Your_Su_Phu Quote
Love, Posted December 4, 2008 at 05:43 PM Posted December 4, 2008 at 05:43 PM (edited) Not every Janis has the last name of Joplin! Duh, Steve. LOL This whole time, I thought it was a Janis Joplin song!!! :sofunny: ...not Janis Ian Was that a dumb blonde moment or are you just showing us all your true colors?? Don't be silly. It's called an honest mistake. Edited December 4, 2008 at 05:47 PM by Love, Quote
tonybower Posted December 4, 2008 at 05:43 PM Posted December 4, 2008 at 05:43 PM Thanks Love, I have just skimmed through the thread and I now realise that this was not a Grammy Awards show. The whole museum inauguration makes sense and the fact that this was listed as one of the appearances on the promotional schedule answers a few questions. I hope this programme is aired in the UK. I still love the performance!! I take it At Seventeen was a huge hit in the US? I stumbled on it by accident and I know Janis Ian is not widely known over here. Shame really cause I think she's great. I hope the review posted by Seb is genuine and that Janis really does appreciate Céline's rendition. I really should try my best to keep up to date with my Céline news... I hate being so clueless! Quote iPod Most Played List The Power Of Love (several versions) - Céline DionThe First Time Ever I Saw Your Face - Roberta FlackSi dieu existe - Céline Dion & Claude DuBoisFrankenstein - Antony & the JohnsonsIn Some Small Way - Céline DionBird Gerhl - Antony & the JohnsonsLe blues du businessman - Céline Dion Ne rien savoir de Lol était la connaître déjà.
Jeremy H. Posted December 4, 2008 at 05:46 PM Posted December 4, 2008 at 05:46 PM I LOVED her performance of this song .I could tell that she really felt the emotion in the song.Her voice sounded great and she looked great too! Quote
Xpresso Posted December 4, 2008 at 05:46 PM Posted December 4, 2008 at 05:46 PM I really should try my best to keep up to date with my Céline news... I hate being so clueless! Clueless? Tony, you and Love "feel" the same way today... Quote
Love, Posted December 4, 2008 at 05:48 PM Posted December 4, 2008 at 05:48 PM (edited) I really should try my best to keep up to date with my Céline news... I hate being so clueless! Clueless? Tony, you and Love "feel" the same way today... Oh, Xpresso... can someone get me a new cup? This one is somewhat bitter and gross. P.S. Tony, the proper adjective for you was curious: you wanted to know. . Edited December 4, 2008 at 06:02 PM by Love, Quote
stevethefan Posted December 4, 2008 at 05:50 PM Posted December 4, 2008 at 05:50 PM Yeah the lyrics to that song are timeless, especially with being that age. I know I always related to the lines:" And those whose names were never called When choosing sides for basketball" since that happened to ME on more than one occasion! Quote
Your_Su_Phu Posted December 4, 2008 at 05:51 PM Posted December 4, 2008 at 05:51 PM (edited) I hope the review posted by Seb is genuine and that Janis really does appreciate Céline's rendition. it is real. it's from her official forum you can google the words from seb's quote and find the forum EWW YOU GUYS CHRISTINA's I LOVES YOU PORGY HAS SO MUCH MORE VIEWS!granted it was put online LONG before celine's <_< we must make celine's video catch up!! Edited December 4, 2008 at 05:55 PM by Your_Su_Phu Quote
Xpresso Posted December 4, 2008 at 06:00 PM Posted December 4, 2008 at 06:00 PM I really should try my best to keep up to date with my Céline news... I hate being so clueless! Clueless? Tony, you and Love "feel" the same way today... Oh, Xpresso... can someone get me a new cup? This one is somewhat bitter and gross. OK, new one flying your way... and HOT! Quote
Love, Posted December 4, 2008 at 06:03 PM Posted December 4, 2008 at 06:03 PM I really should try my best to keep up to date with my Céline news... I hate being so clueless! Clueless? Tony, you and Love "feel" the same way today... Oh, Xpresso... can someone get me a new cup? This one is somewhat bitter and gross. OK, new one flying your way... and HOT! Clarify: What's HOT? Quote
nystrele Posted December 4, 2008 at 06:04 PM Posted December 4, 2008 at 06:04 PM i'm a little bashful to admit that i was disappointed with the performance. understated is one thing, but i found it... sleepy. Quote
Xpresso Posted December 4, 2008 at 06:14 PM Posted December 4, 2008 at 06:14 PM I really should try my best to keep up to date with my Céline news... I hate being so clueless! Clueless? Tony, you and Love "feel" the same way today... Oh, Xpresso... can someone get me a new cup? This one is somewhat bitter and gross. OK, new one flying your way... and HOT! Clarify: What's HOT? Mmm... Xpresso... Quote
ivo Posted December 4, 2008 at 06:14 PM Posted December 4, 2008 at 06:14 PM I already knew the song. I think the performance was amazing!!!! Quote Amsterdam 18-06-1997 - Amsterdam 14-06-1999 - London 10-07-1999 - Antwerpen 14-05-2008 - Antwerpen 21-11-2013 - Las Vegas 10-10-2015 - Paris 09-07-2016 - Arnhem 23-06-2017
nrcda88 Posted December 4, 2008 at 06:17 PM Posted December 4, 2008 at 06:17 PM I really liked Celine's performance I didn't catch the song by name but when she started singing it clicked...its a really nice song. Quote http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/3646/cdan.jpg Céline ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ My MySpace Page Facebook
Xpresso Posted December 4, 2008 at 06:20 PM Posted December 4, 2008 at 06:20 PM (edited) i'm a little bashful to admit that i was disappointed with the performance. understated is one thing, but i found it... sleepy. Really? I liked the fact that it was very different from what she usually does with her vocal gymnastics at times... and her hands/arms! Let's not forget that she had probably just gotten out of bed a couple hours before performing - which took place at about 6 pm in LA. But I think that song demanded to be sung in a subdued way. I glad that she surprised many people with that "quiet" performance. Maybe it will stop critics form saying that she always oversings... Mariah on the other hand.... Edited December 4, 2008 at 06:22 PM by Xpresso Quote
Miha Posted December 4, 2008 at 06:29 PM Posted December 4, 2008 at 06:29 PM (edited) I can understand everything but she should have been nominated for A new day...No one deserves it more and the sales of it show how people love it! As for the performance, it's nice and light song. For me it was sth like Celine came on stage sat and sang just as she was to be sitting in her kitchen and sing something for herself.... I hate Grammies more and more because they really don't show the right people and I don't think only about Celine....I totaly agree with you on everything you said. Flawless performance! Oh and the outfit was over the top, sexy but yet still elegant and appropriate for such special event! Bravo Celine! ***** Edited December 4, 2008 at 06:34 PM by Miha Quote
Thomas Posted December 4, 2008 at 06:31 PM Posted December 4, 2008 at 06:31 PM It was never gonna be a performance that would knock us of our chairs and it was nice for what it was. I think all performers who sing a song like this risk crossing the line from restrained to boring and I think Celine was probably right on the edge. I think this even more so for someone like Celine where big gestures and big vocals are her trademark. That is the Celine we're used to so stripping it all away is obviously gonna alienate some people. I think the fact I love Celine and love hearing her do new things was enough to keep me entertained but I think most people would have found it pretty forgettable. Pretty enough, but nothing to scream and shout about. Quote
Myheartwillgoon-91 Posted December 4, 2008 at 06:45 PM Posted December 4, 2008 at 06:45 PM Will she ever record this song? Quote
Cambroneroj Posted December 4, 2008 at 06:56 PM Posted December 4, 2008 at 06:56 PM she looked and sounded very sad =( Quote
Belle Céline Posted December 4, 2008 at 07:03 PM Posted December 4, 2008 at 07:03 PM she looked and sounded very sad =(ya know I thought the samething but then she perked up a bit once she got into the song. Quote “There’s nothing I love more than the romance of a night in the theater.”http://i39.tinypic.com/ws0due.png
jjlovescéline Posted December 4, 2008 at 07:08 PM Posted December 4, 2008 at 07:08 PM I was actually 17 when Janis Ian's song won a grammy back in 1975! I played that song over and over and over....it just resonated with me! When I read here in the Forum that Céline was going to sing "At Seventeen," I couldn't wait to hear her version! What an excellent song choice, Céline!!! Céline's version was magnificent! I don't think one needs to know her past and how she related to the song. Céline made that relationship clear with her vocals alone! The way she carried the melody was breathtaking. I got the same chills hearing her sing this as I did the first time I heard, "My Love." I was also thrilled to see Céline's band playing with her (I can't believe no one has mentioned them)! Their instrumental arrangement of this song was so beautiful! Anyone know who the guy was that played the trumpet? He played beautifully as well. Céline and her band's cover of this song was off-the-charts spectacular!!!!!!!! Quote
Thomas Posted December 4, 2008 at 07:09 PM Posted December 4, 2008 at 07:09 PM HQ pics from the show: http://img258.imagevenue.com/loc60/th_17505_83907365_10_122_60lo.jpg http://img132.imagevenue.com/loc634/th_17763_83911406_10_122_634lo.jpg http://img139.imagevenue.com/loc555/th_17745_83911502_10_122_555lo.jpg http://img141.imagevenue.com/loc875/th_17757_83911499_10_122_875lo.jpg http://img44.imagevenue.com/loc1048/th_17507_83907383_10_122_1048lo.jpg http://img12.imagevenue.com/loc1126/th_17525_83909485_10_122_1126lo.jpg http://img187.imagevenue.com/loc558/th_17124_83906750_10_122_558lo.jpg http://img135.imagevenue.com/loc1055/th_17493_83907067_10_122_1055lo.jpg http://img46.imagevenue.com/loc157/th_17495_83907077_10_122_157lo.jpg http://img181.imagevenue.com/loc433/th_17502_83907152_10_122_433lo.jpg http://img252.imagevenue.com/loc368/th_17546_83909518_10_122_368lo.jpg http://img189.imagevenue.com/loc213/th_17548_83909625_10_122_213lo.jpg http://img46.imagevenue.com/loc128/th_17597_83909645_10_122_128lo.jpg http://img233.imagevenue.com/loc189/th_17599_83909892_10_122_189lo.jpg http://img256.imagevenue.com/loc200/th_16554_83905928_10_122_200lo.jpg http://img217.imagevenue.com/loc144/th_16559_83905935_10_122_144lo.jpg http://img233.imagevenue.com/loc98/th_16564_83905963_10_122_98lo.jpg http://img146.imagevenue.com/loc902/th_16575_83905970_10_122_902lo.jpg http://img175.imagevenue.com/loc1117/th_16598_83905975_10_122_1117lo.jpg http://img248.imagevenue.com/loc380/th_16602_83905976_10_122_380lo.jpg http://img176.imagevenue.com/loc27/th_16606_83905980_10_122_27lo.jpg http://img18.imagevenue.com/loc1067/th_16611_83905983_10_122_1067lo.jpg http://img256.imagevenue.com/loc352/th_16627_83906014_10_122_352lo.jpg http://img247.imagevenue.com/loc494/th_16629_83906022_10_122_494lo.jpg http://img43.imagevenue.com/loc1142/th_16984_83906029_10_122_1142lo.jpg http://img257.imagevenue.com/loc169/th_17011_83906036_10_122_169lo.jpg http://img189.imagevenue.com/loc127/th_17013_83906037_10_122_127lo.jpg http://img37.imagevenue.com/loc1158/th_17037_83906039_10_122_1158lo.jpg http://img181.imagevenue.com/loc340/th_17062_83906052_10_122_340lo.jpg http://img13.imagevenue.com/loc709/th_17065_83906057_10_122_709lo.jpg http://img156.imagevenue.com/loc833/th_17085_83906071_10_122_833lo.jpg http://img245.imagevenue.com/loc537/th_17121_83906198_10_122_537lo.jpg http://img195.imagevenue.com/loc511/th_17147_83907061_10_122_511lo.jpg Don't forget to credit if you use them! Quote
Shamrock_1982 Posted December 4, 2008 at 07:10 PM Posted December 4, 2008 at 07:10 PM (edited) I have watched this a few times now, and dont get me wrong its not an amazing song or anything, but it was really chilled, different and she looked and performed it so layed back and relaxed!!! And I have to say this is the ''best'' I have seen Celine look all year, she looked so amazing, fresh, her hair is incredible (big up to Zhane,lol) and she just looked and acted sooo casual and really got into the song.... I loved at the end that big sigh but at the same time scanning the audience for a reaction, and she looked a bit nervous and fragile for a moment....I loved it!!! Id love to see her to do a show like this, were its just her on a stool, her band behind her with visuals behind them on a screen like that used in A new day...and she sings a mixture of her own songs, rare songs like this one, and maybe even requests from audience members.... I really think this jacket is her favourite though, she wears it alot!! Darren. Edited December 4, 2008 at 07:12 PM by Ire23 Quote
celinesounds Posted December 4, 2008 at 07:11 PM Posted December 4, 2008 at 07:11 PM i'm a little bashful to admit that i was disappointed with the performance. understated is one thing, but i found it... sleepy. maybe, but it was so good, even sounds like the new Miracle’s single Quote #FREEJAVITO
Shamrock_1982 Posted December 4, 2008 at 07:18 PM Posted December 4, 2008 at 07:18 PM Thanks for the pics Thomas!! The 16th pic is my favourite........ Darren. Quote
celinevegas Posted December 4, 2008 at 07:34 PM Posted December 4, 2008 at 07:34 PM Thanks ,Thanks Thomas.. Beautiful Pics!!!!! :wub: Quote "2008 to 2009 TAKING CHANCES TOUR..SIMPLY ANOTHER DREAMS REALIZED!.."" 2003 à 2007 OF BEAUTIFUL LIVED MOMENTS..LAS VEGAS ."24 and 25 May 2008 Bercy Paris France 5 July 2008 Nice France 16,20 ,25,31 August 2008Montréal CANADA22 August 2008 Quebec CANADA01 September 2008 Montréal CANADA10 and 12 September 2008 Newark USA 9 November Indianapolis USA (Reporter au 21 Decembre 2008)10 Fébuary 2009 Québec CANADA 15 Fébuary 2009 Montréal CANADA http://www.monsterup.com/upload/1258171336241.jpg
CelionDion Posted December 4, 2008 at 08:02 PM Posted December 4, 2008 at 08:02 PM WOW. I wasn't expecting that! She sounded great and she looked even better Quote http://showstalker.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/celine-dion-doctorate-laval-univ-2.jpg
Snowhite Posted December 4, 2008 at 08:05 PM Posted December 4, 2008 at 08:05 PM thank you thank you Thomas!!!!! ps.Are there any photos with Celine and Mariah? Quote
Nikosn17 Posted December 4, 2008 at 08:08 PM Posted December 4, 2008 at 08:08 PM thank you thank you Thomas!!!!! ps.Are there any photos with Celine and Mariah? Nope. I hoped for photos with Mariah and Celine but hey... Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.