ZoraSourit Posted December 4, 2008 at 03:47 PM Posted December 4, 2008 at 03:47 PM That performance was flawless and effortless! Of course I would choose another song from the list for her to sing, but no other song would suit her so well... Like many of you said, it's her inner self. And what about the leather pants! Quote http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/zorasourit/2.jpgAntwerp ~ Paris ~ Dublin ~ Amsterdam ~ Berlim ~ Milan ~ ArrasSome people need no slogans or presentations. And that was a wrap, folks!
dj4celine Posted December 4, 2008 at 03:50 PM Posted December 4, 2008 at 03:50 PM Thanks for putting up all (almost) the reviews and blog entries, Sopha and Seb The subdued performance was what Celine needed for her detractors to shut up for once. But even this performance didn't seem to have been able to do that. I think it's easier to straighten a dog's tail than to hope for some respect by her haters The lyrics, the vocals, the outfit and the peaceful ambiance won my heart. Bravo, Celine! PS. I thought I'd never be able to hate anyone or anything this much but Rolling Stones is pissing me to no end Quote
bronzey Posted December 4, 2008 at 03:57 PM Posted December 4, 2008 at 03:57 PM Im very much impressed with her performance. It's not boring at all !!! Quote http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v459/bronzey/bronzey_sig2.jpg
amyja89 Posted December 4, 2008 at 04:45 PM Posted December 4, 2008 at 04:45 PM Celine Dion - At Seventeen (Grammy Nominations '08) Ooooh 'grobandion' has commented on that video, now there's a blast from the past! Quote
stevethefan Posted December 4, 2008 at 04:49 PM Posted December 4, 2008 at 04:49 PM Even though I thought she did a good job with that song I was thinking to my self: "Self, why would she sing THAT song instead of many others that could have been chosen." I was wondering if she DID NOT choose it, maybe the show chose the songs. The other thing I was thinking is that maybe all of the songs performed were former grammy winning songs? That would make more sense. Quote
Say What? Posted December 4, 2008 at 04:51 PM Posted December 4, 2008 at 04:51 PM (edited) LMAO at those who thought Celine CHOSE the song herself The song is great but it's a snoozefest. I couldn't understand one word and I don't know if it was the sound quality, the microphone or Celine's pronunciation or lack thereof... or all of the above. But it was nice to see her performing something meaningful without any artificial facial expression or orgasmic body movement. She did the song justice IMO. All in all the reviews were pretty good: From the Washington Post:"Mariah Carey took on Phil Spector's spectral "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)," doing a passable job in place of Darlene Love until Carey had to go and add some of those piercing dog-whistle vocal notes near the end. Twiggy Quebecoise diva Celine Dion sang a plaintive, pretty version of Janis Ian's "At Seventeen" and somehow managed to refrain from launching into a vocal flyover of her own." Entertainment Weekly did their usual Celine bashing:"Next was a performance of Janis Ian's "At Seventeen" from Celine Dion that one might call "understated," but mostly left me wondering whether the dinner cruise would be docking soon." From the L.A. Times:"Mariah Carey's holiday number, a take on Darlene Love's "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)" that was so determinedly vintage it could have been enclosed in a snow globe, was a snooze. Celine Dion delivered a perfectly respectable version of Janis Ian's "At Seventeen," with an evocative shoulder shrug replacing her usual chest-thumping, but the song outshone the singer. Christina Aguilera was elegant paying tribute to her heroine Nina Simone with a fine and mellow rendition of the Gershwin great "I Loves You Porgy"; it's too bad, though, that she couldn't resist the temptation to belt out the song's last phrases." From the Orange County Register:"Did you see co-host Taylor Swift destroy “I’m Sorry” during that telecast? Do you think Foo Fighters really pulled off “You’re So Vain”? Am I nuts for wondering if Celine Dion is the only one who did right by her Grammy Hall of Fame selection, Janis Ian’s “At Seventeen”?" From the L.A. Times Blog:"For the prime-time telecast, tape-delayed until 9 p.m. for West Coast viewers, Carey was given Darlene Love’s Phil Spector-produced 1963 hit “Christmas (Baby Please Come Home),” during which it appeared her knee-high white go-go boots had been epoxied to the Nokia stage after she climbed into them. Dion was uncharacteristically restrained in a sensitive rendition of Janis Ian’s aching portrait of teen heartache and alienation from 1975, “At Seventeen.” The Foo Fighters gave a ragged and nominally in-tune performance of Carly Simon’s “You’re So Vain” (1972), Swift was awkwardly matched to Brenda Lee’s 1960 country-pop hit “I’m Sorry” (1960), Aguilera applied her all-over-the-map vocals to “I Love You Porgy” from George Gershwin’s 1935 classic “Porgy and Bess” and King and Mayer jammed happily on Louis Jordan’s 1947 rave-up “Let the Good Times Roll.” From the Rocky Mountain News:"Give the Grammys credit for trying to shake things up for its 50th anniversary, but you've got to wonder who came up with some of these ideas, especially the '70s theme. Celine Dion inexplicably sang Janis Ian's At Seventeen and a nation trembled, knowing that she'd eventually unleash her klaxon-horn voice and set off car alarms. But a kinder, gentler Dion kept it subtle and true to the original."From the Chicago Sun Time (I don't think this guy actually watched the show):"The Vegas-glitzy Celine Dion blustered through Janis Ian's nakedly soulful "At Seventeen"(WTF... "blustered"???) Edited December 4, 2008 at 04:52 PM by Say What? Quote
Love, Posted December 4, 2008 at 04:51 PM Posted December 4, 2008 at 04:51 PM Celine's a Janis fan. Quote
Say What? Posted December 4, 2008 at 04:54 PM Posted December 4, 2008 at 04:54 PM Even though I thought she did a good job with that song I was thinking to my self: "Self, why would she sing THAT song instead of many others that could have been chosen." I was wondering if she DID NOT choose it, maybe the show chose the songs. The other thing I was thinking is that maybe all of the songs performed were former grammy winning songs? That would make more sense. All the songs performed were songs inducted into the Grammy Hall Of Fame and the producers of the show/Grammy people picked them and asked performers if they would kindly sing them. Quote
Love, Posted December 4, 2008 at 04:56 PM Posted December 4, 2008 at 04:56 PM (edited) All the songs performed were songs inducted into the Grammy Hall Of Fame and the producers of the show/Grammy people picked them and asked performers if they would kindly sing them. Don't rule out the possibility of a shortlist of recommended songs - and Celine's own ability to choose. Edited December 4, 2008 at 04:57 PM by Love, Quote
stevethefan Posted December 4, 2008 at 04:58 PM Posted December 4, 2008 at 04:58 PM Did ya notice that on a couple of reviews that the writers could not keep themselves from mentioning "chest thumps' and "fist pumps" when mentioning Celine? Quote
Say What? Posted December 4, 2008 at 05:00 PM Posted December 4, 2008 at 05:00 PM All the songs performed were songs inducted into the Grammy Hall Of Fame and the producers of the show/Grammy people picked them and asked performers if they would kindly sing them. Don't rule out the possibility of a shortlist of recommended songs - and Celine's own ability to choose.Nope! It's ruled out. Quote
Love, Posted December 4, 2008 at 05:01 PM Posted December 4, 2008 at 05:01 PM Did ya notice that on a couple of reviews that the writers could not keep themselves from mentioning "chest thumps' and "fist pumps" when mentioning Celine? Those remarks are as ubiquitous as the question of "How's your son?" Quote
trls Posted December 4, 2008 at 05:09 PM Posted December 4, 2008 at 05:09 PM Is there a picture with her and Mariah? Quote
Your_Su_Phu Posted December 4, 2008 at 05:09 PM Posted December 4, 2008 at 05:09 PM (edited) I feel so spoiled. I love me some celine I think it would've been better if each performer got to say their own little introduction to the song after being introduced. so celine could've given some perspective to non fans about her childhood, adolescence and growing up as a teen star who was heavily mocked for her teeth (no to mention from an impoverished background) the song SPEAKS TO HER. her expressions were so believable at the end it would've been even better had celine known how to play guitar and strummed along to the performance and used a tiny bit clearer diction everyone should spam/watch that youtube link someone posted (with only celine's performance and not taylor's) to get the views up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiSBYh30LHA Edited December 4, 2008 at 05:10 PM by Your_Su_Phu Quote
Love, Posted December 4, 2008 at 05:11 PM Posted December 4, 2008 at 05:11 PM Is there a picture with her and Mariah? Yeah, it's on Mariah's digital camera. Quote
Céline's Blues Posted December 4, 2008 at 05:14 PM Posted December 4, 2008 at 05:14 PM http://weblogs.variety.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/12/04/celine.jpg So Celine Dion did not tack her new single onto the end of "At Seventeen" and rumors of Prince joining the Time at the Grammy afterparty at Club Nokia did not come true. All in all, Grammy nominations night was a pleasant exercise - a decent show, a good party and a fabulous museum to explorehttp://weblogs.variety.com/thesetlist/2008...g-transpar.html*** At SeventeenDecember 3rd, 2008 10:19 pm · No Comments I’m not a huge fan of Celine Dion’s style, nor her nasal pronunciation of many English words which really gets under my skin. However, I respect her musical abilities, since there’s no denying that the woman has talent. I just heard her sing Janis Ian’s beautiful song “At Seventeen” on the Grammy Nominations concert and was quite floored by her cover. http://crystallitis.com/wp/2008/12/03/at-seventeen/#more-690 *** Quote http://i.imgur.com/dmreJ.jpg
Céline's Blues Posted December 4, 2008 at 05:17 PM Posted December 4, 2008 at 05:17 PM Official response from Janis Ian about hearing Céline sing her song: I thought Celine Dion did a great job on my song. Honest, sincere, intense, and with the added compliment of her own phrasing instead of mine. Pat and I got to watch it together, and we were both thrilled. I mean, it's great that I got to have "the hit" with this song. No doubt. It gave me back my career in the USA. But I have to tell you all that purely as a songwriter, it means a lot more when an artist the stature of a Celine Dion - and whether you like her work or not, the woman has stature, is incredibly famous, sells a whole lot more records than I ever have or will - chooses my song to showcase. Especially this song. Especially on a show like this. Again, whether you like her work or not, just imagine the nerve it takes for someone that successful to confess, openly and without pretense, to having those humiliating feelings. If it's hard for me to sing it, it's got to be even harder for her, since she's so much more succesful. Think about it. She's not what you'd call "stage door pretty," and never has been. It took a lot of balls.And I can only begin to imagine the arguments when she said that's what she wanted to do... I can only imagine...<grin>I think she did an honest version of the song. I'm more than pleased. I'm thrilled. Quote http://i.imgur.com/dmreJ.jpg
Love, Posted December 4, 2008 at 05:19 PM Posted December 4, 2008 at 05:19 PM (edited) Ummm... Seb.... R E A L I TY c h e c k: Janis is NOT ALIVE. Edited December 4, 2008 at 05:26 PM by Love, Quote
Your_Su_Phu Posted December 4, 2008 at 05:21 PM Posted December 4, 2008 at 05:21 PM OMG *faints* *has a seizure* *dies* *comes back to life* *dies again* *jumps out of window* *crawls back in* *kisses computer screen* that's only like..the BEST compliment she could get for this performance!!!!!!!!!! AND JANIS TOTALLY GETS IT Quote
Céline's Blues Posted December 4, 2008 at 05:21 PM Posted December 4, 2008 at 05:21 PM Ummm... Seb.... R E A L I TY c h e c k: Janis is NOT ALIVE.Um, Sofa. She is very well alive and happy married. Reality check right back. Quote http://i.imgur.com/dmreJ.jpg
Xpresso Posted December 4, 2008 at 05:22 PM Posted December 4, 2008 at 05:22 PM (edited) Thanks Céline's Blues. But where did you find this comment from Janis? You didn't make this up, did you? Because we know you can... NOT STAGE PRETTY? Now that's a bit rough. Céline looked HOT to me... Edited December 4, 2008 at 05:23 PM by Xpresso Quote
Your_Su_Phu Posted December 4, 2008 at 05:22 PM Posted December 4, 2008 at 05:22 PM (edited) ok nvmind sopha edited it lol Edited December 4, 2008 at 05:22 PM by Your_Su_Phu Quote
VinnyT. Posted December 4, 2008 at 05:22 PM Posted December 4, 2008 at 05:22 PM she is alive! she is just 57 yrs old! Quote For Exclusive News "Like Us" on Facebook http://i44.tinypic.com/vfjwad.jpg click on the banner
Davey84 Posted December 4, 2008 at 05:23 PM Posted December 4, 2008 at 05:23 PM THAT'S AWESOME!! Quote http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v75/daveyh84/incognito198701_zpsaaootxh1.jpgRick, ik hou van jou voor altijd!A New Day... has come 28/29 April & 2/3 May 07Antwerpen 13 et 14 mai,Paris 24 et 25 mai, Amsterdam 2 juinet Arras 7 juillet Chances Taken!!!How Do You Keep The Music Playing? - Celine Opening Night March 15th, March 16th
Céline's Blues Posted December 4, 2008 at 05:24 PM Posted December 4, 2008 at 05:24 PM Thanks Céline's Blues. But where did you find this comment from Janis? You didn't make this up, did you? Because we know you can... NOT STAGE PRETTY? Now that's a bit rough. Céline looked HOT to me... It's taken from her official BBS. Quote http://i.imgur.com/dmreJ.jpg
Love, Posted December 4, 2008 at 05:25 PM Posted December 4, 2008 at 05:25 PM (edited) Um, Sofa. She is very well alive and happy married. Reality check right back. :laugh: OMG!!! I'm dying here! This whole time, I thought it was a Janis Joplin song!!! :sofunny: ...not Janis Ian I just posted something that I had to edit! I said something like... "JANIS IS NOT ALIVE!" Edited December 4, 2008 at 05:26 PM by Love, Quote
tonybower Posted December 4, 2008 at 05:26 PM Posted December 4, 2008 at 05:26 PM Oh my...!! I want to cry! This was one of my absolute favourite songs for such a long time! I never imagined Céline would sing it! And what a beautiful performance. Completely understated and simple. This is exactly the type of performance people need to see: for those who have an aversion to Céline and any other powerful, vocal performance, this song shows her in a light such people might appreciate. Can you tell I love it? Can anybody tell me how this came about? I know I should read through the thread but I have been unbelievably busy for a few months now and don't get to visit the forum much. I also have an assignment due tomorrow. So if anybody can tell me why Céline performed this song, why she was at the Grammy's and when it was recorded I would be eternally grateful. As far as I can tell, she was not nominated for an award so why was she there in person? And what is the Hall of Fame? Hope you can help Quote iPod Most Played List The Power Of Love (several versions) - Céline DionThe First Time Ever I Saw Your Face - Roberta FlackSi dieu existe - Céline Dion & Claude DuBoisFrankenstein - Antony & the JohnsonsIn Some Small Way - Céline DionBird Gerhl - Antony & the JohnsonsLe blues du businessman - Céline Dion Ne rien savoir de Lol était la connaître déjà.
Love, Posted December 4, 2008 at 05:29 PM Posted December 4, 2008 at 05:29 PM (edited) Tony, all the answers are in this thread. Here is more on the Grammy Hall of Fame: http://www.grammy.com/Recording_Academy/Awards/Hall_Of_Fame/ And this event was historical because it marked the inauguration of the new Grammy Museum: http://www.grammymuseum.org/ Celine was on there for several reasons, including the fact that it's a big night for MUSIC, it was a landmark event, her business relationship with CBS, and the timing of her promotional events in LA. Edited December 4, 2008 at 05:32 PM by Love, Quote
Say What? Posted December 4, 2008 at 05:36 PM Posted December 4, 2008 at 05:36 PM This whole time, I thought it was a Janis Joplin song!!! :sofunny: ...not Janis Ian Was that a dumb blonde moment or are you just showing us all your true colors?? Janis Joplin :sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny: Quote
stevethefan Posted December 4, 2008 at 05:39 PM Posted December 4, 2008 at 05:39 PM Not every Janis has the last name of Joplin! Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.