Lawna Posted April 30, 2007 at 04:03 AM Posted April 30, 2007 at 04:03 AM Hello, I am a little bit suprised reading your comments about Celine Dion's performance: I may understand and respect you are big fans of Celine but you should not forget, that it is fore and foremost a tribute to Elvis and this I think was what Celine wanted in the fist place. Is is so important arguing who is best and who can outshine the other? Isn't it childish talk? Singing is not about power or volume technically speaking even though consedering technical singing perfection. Art is not about perfection. I reckon singing is about emotion, feeling and soul. This is where Elvis came from, soul, black music. This is the main reason why we have been able to witness and enjoy this performance. You should respect that and adknowledge this; for this is a simpla fact. One last thing, please, we cannot rewrite History and Elvis is in a class on his own like Ray Charles, The Beatles, James Brown and a few others and I respect the fact you may appreciate Celine for she is a big star but you cannot change this. Elvis changed the world. Celine may have changed your lives and that is one big achievement but lets be reasonable, this is where it ends. Picasso and Cezanne revolutionized painting but Mary Cassat did not, though she was a remarkable painter.I am a little confused also because this song has a very important meaning as Matin Luther King was shot a few weeks before the 68 special was aired and the World and Elvis were devastated by the horrible news. It is a confusing that youngsters may not know about that knowing this song has a poltivcal and social meaning coming even with greater impact as it was sung by Elvis Presley... and now, the people behind Amreican Idol let it ended up in their show which is the total opposit of this significance. This is is a bit embarassing even if it is for charity. We should not play with symbols when they are so important: this is significance is way bigger than Elvis and Elvis was jus an tertainer and he kew that for sure. He knew that this was a message song and was way much more important than he was. This is why he sang it with so much passion. For music has no boundaries no ego no color but soul! This is the greatness of Elvis and his humility. So lets be humbles as fans and not forget that and go bragging , boasting like kids. I am sure that Miss Celine Dion herself would not agree with your comments about being bigger than Elvis or being better: she has to much respect fot the man and his music ...she knows for sure. Before being Ceine Dion's faithful fans I hope your are simply music fans. Love shoudn't blind you and make you loose judgment. I love Elvis and I love the Beatles I may prefer Elvis but I do not say he is better or bigger thant they are and God thay are tremendously talented: thoses geniuses changed the world. we shoul be thankfull fot those men like music critic Marsh wrote, build the only maps when can trust. Sorry for my english Greetings from Parisi dont understand where this is coming from. nobody has dissed elvis on here. in fact its just the opposite. and if you go to the elvis forums and the comments on the duet on youtube, there are tons of elvis supportors coming out of the woodwork and hating, critisizing and dissing Celine with so much childish and slanderous words, so maybe you should look in your own backyard first before you come into ours. have a nice day I don't want to sound "childish" but I agree with brasilero. I myself have made the comment that Celine could have stole the spotlight if she wanted to, but she didn't. The reason I said this is because, as brasilero was saying, many Elvis fans had some criticizing words to say about Celine.Being the person Celine is, she graciously took a step back and became just the background to the song (in a way). It's not really fair to say Elvis changed the world...he really hasn't. Maybe the "music world", but so has Celine. Even though she may not have had hundreds of thousands of teenagers chasing her, she has gained the respect of many through her success and her life. But thanks for your comment and for thinking you might be able to "open" our eyes...my eyes can't get any wider, sorry! Quote They go crazy for you because they know you're true. --Celine Dionhttp://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz226/Congenialdiva/myspacelink.jpgFollow Me on Twitter!Visit Me on Facebook!
dwainlester Posted April 30, 2007 at 04:08 AM Posted April 30, 2007 at 04:08 AM This was an event in American and Canadian history! Quote
JP Posted April 30, 2007 at 12:51 PM Posted April 30, 2007 at 12:51 PM Celine & Elvis are #1 on iTunes http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/2535/celineitunespe2.jpg Quote http://static-illicoweb.videotron.com/illicoweb/static/webtv/images/content/player/TVA_Celine_Dion_Sans_Attendre_Vf_WT_Poster.jpg
nano Posted April 30, 2007 at 12:57 PM Posted April 30, 2007 at 12:57 PM wooow. Go Celine. Go Elvis. Quote "Today, I’m a person on a path of connecting with my source and understanding that I am on the leading edge of creation.."
Bellamy Posted April 30, 2007 at 01:15 PM Posted April 30, 2007 at 01:15 PM Hello, I am a little bit suprised reading your comments about Celine Dion's performance: I may understand and respect you are big fans of Celine but you should not forget, that it is fore and foremost a tribute to Elvis and this I think was what Celine wanted in the fist place. Is is so important arguing who is best and who can outshine the other? Isn't it childish talk? Singing is not about power or volume technically speaking even though consedering technical singing perfection. Art is not about perfection. I reckon singing is about emotion, feeling and soul. This is where Elvis came from, soul, black music. This is the main reason why we have been able to witness and enjoy this performance. You should respect that and adknowledge this; for this is a simpla fact. One last thing, please, we cannot rewrite History and Elvis is in a class on his own like Ray Charles, The Beatles, James Brown and a few others and I respect the fact you may appreciate Celine for she is a big star but you cannot change this. Elvis changed the world. Celine may have changed your lives and that is one big achievement but lets be reasonable, this is where it ends. Picasso and Cezanne revolutionized painting but Mary Cassat did not, though she was a remarkable painter.I am a little confused also because this song has a very important meaning as Matin Luther King was shot a few weeks before the 68 special was aired and the World and Elvis were devastated by the horrible news. It is a confusing that youngsters may not know about that knowing this song has a poltivcal and social meaning coming even with greater impact as it was sung by Elvis Presley... and now, the people behind Amreican Idol let it ended up in their show which is the total opposit of this significance. This is is a bit embarassing even if it is for charity. We should not play with symbols when they are so important: this is significance is way bigger than Elvis and Elvis was jus an tertainer and he kew that for sure. He knew that this was a message song and was way much more important than he was. This is why he sang it with so much passion. For music has no boundaries no ego no color but soul! This is the greatness of Elvis and his humility. So lets be humbles as fans and not forget that and go bragging , boasting like kids. I am sure that Miss Celine Dion herself would not agree with your comments about being bigger than Elvis or being better: she has to much respect fot the man and his music ...she knows for sure. Before being Ceine Dion's faithful fans I hope your are simply music fans. Love shoudn't blind you and make you loose judgment. I love Elvis and I love the Beatles I may prefer Elvis but I do not say he is better or bigger thant they are and God thay are tremendously talented: thoses geniuses changed the world. we shoul be thankfull fot those men like music critic Marsh wrote, build the only maps when can trust. Sorry for my english Greetings from Parisi dont understand where this is coming from. nobody has dissed elvis on here. in fact its just the opposite. and if you go to the elvis forums and the comments on the duet on youtube, there are tons of elvis supportors coming out of the woodwork and hating, critisizing and dissing Celine with so much childish and slanderous words, so maybe you should look in your own backyard first before you come into ours. have a nice day I don't want to sound "childish" but I agree with brasilero. I myself have made the comment that Celine could have stole the spotlight if she wanted to, but she didn't. The reason I said this is because, as brasilero was saying, many Elvis fans had some criticizing words to say about Celine.Being the person Celine is, she graciously took a step back and became just the background to the song (in a way). It's not really fair to say Elvis changed the world...he really hasn't. Maybe the "music world", but so has Celine. Even though she may not have had hundreds of thousands of teenagers chasing her, she has gained the respect of many through her success and her life. But thanks for your comment and for thinking you might be able to "open" our eyes...my eyes can't get any wider, sorry! I agree. And Lisa Marie Presley gives the permission to do this duet, and she's moved by this performance. I don't understand why some Elvis fans think no one should touch anything from him. Also I don't think many Celine fans think she's greater than Elvis. We just said she's great with Elvis. It's some Elvis fans give spiteful comments to Celine. Quote Please support the forum by ordering everything through our special Amazon.com link Click here. Thank you!
nano Posted April 30, 2007 at 01:28 PM Posted April 30, 2007 at 01:28 PM I agree with Alanna, Bellamy and brasilero... I don't think any of us would ever diss Elvis. I'm very happy that Celine got the chance to sing with Elvis, he is and will always be the number one idol. Like Alanna said, Celine could've stole the show if she wanted to...but she didn't, she looked so humble on stage. I know she was very honoured by the duet. It's every artist's dream to sing with Elvis..and I'm so exited Celine got the chance. I'm also very touched that Lisa Marie gave her permission for this..I'm not sure but I think this is the first time someone has sang a duet with Elvis (after his death). Quote "Today, I’m a person on a path of connecting with my source and understanding that I am on the leading edge of creation.."
stevo Posted April 30, 2007 at 01:42 PM Posted April 30, 2007 at 01:42 PM It's all so exciting! This is a milestone in Celine's career- we just know it means so much to her and Rene that she was offered this- that's what I'd like to convey to people slagging Celine off on Youtube etc- that the producers of AI supposedly offered Celine the chance because she had the voice, the attitude but first and foremost, the respect for Elvis. He IS a legend- Celine has never got on her high horse and deliberately 'blown somebody away', and she certainly didn't do it with this performance either. Celine will cherish this forever and so should all Celine and Elvis fans. Hooray to Celine & Elvis! P.S welcome all new members! Enjoy the vid- p.s again- I think I'm gonna have to dl it again- I've watched it so much it starts to smoulder when I play it! lol Hello from N.Ireland on a HOT last day of April to all you lovely forum members! I'm bronzing myself! Quote
nature boy Posted April 30, 2007 at 02:01 PM Posted April 30, 2007 at 02:01 PM Certain Elvis fans are getting pissed because they think he is a god and is the best singer and has the best voice in the world. Well I'm sorry to burst anyones balloon but he is neither. He was rock n roll and had a great voice, but the best ever? Yeah he broke new ground and the name "The King" is justified, but I'm sorry there are far better male voices out there. The fact they are ripping Celine apart probably has nothing to do with Celine they just won't stand anyone singing with their idol. Remember certain fans still think he's still alive and working in Las Vegas/Burger King/Mcdonalds/Pizza Hut etc etc. Quote http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/3239/kylieima5lp9.jpg How do you describe a feeling??
kathyc25 Posted April 30, 2007 at 03:00 PM Posted April 30, 2007 at 03:00 PM Thanks to all who posted the pictures and media clips You know its a shame when Elvis fans get so defensive with him...its like thier his security guards and NO ONE can touch him (eventhough he`s dead --- physically). You will never see a Celine fan bash Elvis, because a lot of us are music fans first and foremost. We know that Elvis is a legend in his own right, I believe Celine and Renee know this too. I`m sure she was very honored to perform "with him". I just wish that some people would really open thier eyes and look at the whole picture before making an assumption about others...that`s all Quote Music Is Life...Live ItYou are the music while the music lasts. ~T.S. Eliot"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." ~ Walt Disney
Tal Posted April 30, 2007 at 03:39 PM Author Posted April 30, 2007 at 03:39 PM I find it *amusing* that an Elvis fan comes here telling us not to disrespect him, when no one here has said anything remotely disrespectful. Yet on several Elvis forums, members there have been MORE then disrespectful to Celine. No one can, and no one is arguing that Elvis is a legend. We might not be fans of his in the way we're fans of Celine, but to deny what Elvis has done for music is impossible. And what you consider to be a good voice, may not be what we consider to be a good voice. People just need to respect that fact that both Elvis and Celine are talented individuals, and that while no one is expecting anyone to be a fan of Elvis' or Celine's, they both deserve respect in their own right. But like I said before, this isnt the forum where either one is being disrespected... Quote I live my life like a runawayI hide my dreams in a special placeI'm waiting here for my prince to comeTo save me from the darkness...
kathyc25 Posted April 30, 2007 at 03:45 PM Posted April 30, 2007 at 03:45 PM I find it *amusing* that an Elvis fan comes here telling us not to disrespect him, when no one here has said anything remotely disrespectful. Yet on several Elvis forums, members there have been MORE then disrespectful to Celine. No one can, and no one is arguing that Elvis is a legend. We might not be fans of his in the way we're fans of Celine, but to deny what Elvis has done for music is impossible. And what you consider to be a good voice, may not be what we consider to be a good voice. People just need to respect that fact that both Elvis and Celine are talented individuals, and that while no one is expecting anyone to be a fan of Elvis' or Celine's, they both deserve respect in their own right. But like I said before, this isnt the forum where either one is being disrespected... exactly Quote Music Is Life...Live ItYou are the music while the music lasts. ~T.S. Eliot"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." ~ Walt Disney
idroveallnight Posted April 30, 2007 at 03:52 PM Posted April 30, 2007 at 03:52 PM I find it *amusing* that an Elvis fan comes here telling us not to disrespect him, when no one here has said anything remotely disrespectful. Yet on several Elvis forums, members there have been MORE then disrespectful to Celine. No one can, and no one is arguing that Elvis is a legend. We might not be fans of his in the way we're fans of Celine, but to deny what Elvis has done for music is impossible. And what you consider to be a good voice, may not be what we consider to be a good voice. People just need to respect that fact that both Elvis and Celine are talented individuals, and that while no one is expecting anyone to be a fan of Elvis' or Celine's, they both deserve respect in their own right. But like I said before, this isnt the forum where either one is being disrespected... Very well said. They're both diverse in their own ways and have made significant contributions to music. People who bash Celine are just hitting an easy target as usual. If it weren't for Celine agreeing to do this, the Elvis fans wouldn't have even experienced the delight of seeing him on American Idol. Personally, I think this whole thing has been blown way out of proportion. People should stop being negative and see this performance for what it is: two artists (one dead) collaborating on this once-in-a-lifetime project that is meant to raise money for charity. Quote
Ted Posted April 30, 2007 at 03:54 PM Posted April 30, 2007 at 03:54 PM I find it *amusing* that an Elvis fan comes here telling us not to disrespect him, when no one here has said anything remotely disrespectful. Yet on several Elvis forums, members there have been MORE then disrespectful to Celine. No one can, and no one is arguing that Elvis is a legend. We might not be fans of his in the way we're fans of Celine, but to deny what Elvis has done for music is impossible. And what you consider to be a good voice, may not be what we consider to be a good voice. People just need to respect that fact that both Elvis and Celine are talented individuals, and that while no one is expecting anyone to be a fan of Elvis' or Celine's, they both deserve respect in their own right. But like I said before, this isnt the forum where either one is being disrespected... I agree with you totally.It me sad when I go to Elvisnews and some other Elvis boards to see what say about Celine. It's rude and it's uncalled for. That's why I will never go to the boards again. Quote http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46/tedxyz/Untitled-TrueColor-02.jpg
Filine Posted April 30, 2007 at 04:00 PM Posted April 30, 2007 at 04:00 PM I may understand and respect you are big fans of Celine but you should not forget, that it is fore and foremost a tribute to Elvis and this I think was what Celine wanted in the fist place. I totally agree with you on this, it was a tribute to Elvis and that was exactly how Céline wanted it to be! Is is so important arguing who is best and who can outshine the other? I don't think nobody here ever talked about 'outshining'. It was just a reaction on comments around the internet. I reckon singing is about emotion, feeling and soul. This is where Elvis came from, soul, black music. This is the main reason why we have been able to witness and enjoy this performance. You should respect that and adknowledge this; for this is a simpla fact. I think we all respect Elvis, because he was and still is one of the worlds greatest artists for all the good reasons you mention. Elvis however was huge in another era. I wasn't even born when Elvis died. Music is linked with time, artists represent feelings, emotions and yes soul from a certain time. If there's another artist with her emotions, feelings and soul out there it's Céline though and then I challenge you to think out of he box (like My Heart Will Go On, Because You Loved Me and other mega commercial material) and listen carefully to material that is less known for the bigger public. I think you can as each of us to help you pick some of our favorites. One last thing, please, we cannot rewrite History and Elvis is in a class on his own like Ray Charles, The Beatles, James Brown and a few others and I respect the fact you may appreciate Celine for she is a big star but you cannot change this. Elvis changed the world. Celine may have changed your lives and that is one big achievement but lets be reasonable, this is where it ends. No we can not rewrite history and Elvis can never be compared to anyone because he changed the world in his own way. He is in the history of music. Céline however is the present and I think she changes the world everyday, like everyone does in their own little way. Nobody knows where this ends...only the people in the future will be able to tell. That's how a legend is made. I am a little confused also because this song has a very important meaning as Matin Luther King was shot a few weeks before the 68 special was aired and the World and Elvis were devastated by the horrible news. It is a confusing that youngsters may not know about that knowing this song has a poltivcal and social meaning coming even with greater impact as it was sung by Elvis Presley... and now, the people behind Amreican Idol let it ended up in their show which is the total opposit of this significance. I didn't know the song before I heard it on American Idol with Céline, but all of this taught me more about Elvis, what he believed in and what was thriving him. I think just to see his passion in this performance will give many people and music lovers the urge to look for the meaning and for his legacy! It did for me! I love Elvis and I love the Beatles I may prefer Elvis but I do not say he is better or bigger thant they are and God thay are tremendously talented: thoses geniuses changed the world. we shoul be thankfull fot those men like music critic Marsh wrote, build the only maps when can trust. All I can say is that every era has new geniuses and comparing any artist to the other doesn't do either of them justice. Only time can tell and in the meantime Céline is changing my world a litte bit everyday. Quote http://www.celinedion.nl/pics/cindy/bannerza.jpg"They call my home the land of snow, Canadian cold front movin' in"
ZoraSourit Posted April 30, 2007 at 05:39 PM Posted April 30, 2007 at 05:39 PM In my point of view, Elvis fans should be very proud and happy that after several years over the death of Elvis people are still speaking highly about him and that there still is a major tv company willing to invest several million of dollars to bring him alive on stage once again with one (if not the biggest) female singer of all times. It's a big thing for both of fans: Elvis and Céline's. We respect and admire Elvis, that's why we were all so excited over this. Not only because Céline would be on American Idol, but also because it would be an unique moment on Music and Television History. All that we ask back is some respect from Elvis fans also... Noone here dissed Elvis, bus some Elvis fans dissed Céline. And that's no good and above all, it's unfair. Anyway, Congratulations to Céline and Elvis for the #1 on iTunes and congrats to all fans. Quote http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/zorasourit/2.jpgAntwerp ~ Paris ~ Dublin ~ Amsterdam ~ Berlim ~ Milan ~ ArrasSome people need no slogans or presentations. And that was a wrap, folks!
Shaun Posted April 30, 2007 at 08:21 PM Posted April 30, 2007 at 08:21 PM (edited) Yeah well said Tal, totally agree. The success this duet is having though, both in the media and on Itunes, is staggering. The risk it would appear was well worth taking. Edited April 30, 2007 at 08:21 PM by Shaun Quote Bringing you the world's only Celine Dion podcast show since 2014.Find us on Soundcloud, Apple Podcasts, Spotify & Amazon Music.
LVCeline Posted April 30, 2007 at 08:33 PM Posted April 30, 2007 at 08:33 PM I gotta say, I couldn't have been more pleasantly surprised by this event! When I first heard she was singing with an impersonator, I had an image in my head of Celine dressed in a jumpsuit with an Elvis wig on snarling her lip and doing Elvis impressions while singing Houndog or something like that. I mean, I love Celine, but she can be cheesy as all hell sometimes, especially when she's not taking herself seriously (Divas Las Vegas anyone?). But I'll tell you I can't get this song out of my head! She really outdid herself, and they sung a perfect song which complimented each other very well. She held herself classy as can be, and sounded incredible! I'm so proud of her! Quote
insectenboek Posted April 30, 2007 at 08:41 PM Posted April 30, 2007 at 08:41 PM GREAT SONGHope to see it on dutch tele soon!! Quote
Mohsin Posted April 30, 2007 at 09:08 PM Posted April 30, 2007 at 09:08 PM fantastic. this is really an amazing performance. thanks once again for bringing it to us. Quote
celinefanonline Posted April 30, 2007 at 09:31 PM Posted April 30, 2007 at 09:31 PM you know actually they could release it as a single...and it would be a good timing now! Quote Courage don't you dare fail me now!
teresa3717 Posted April 30, 2007 at 10:14 PM Posted April 30, 2007 at 10:14 PM I saw this on AI last week, and cant wait to see it again! Thanks so much :0 Quote
Lawna Posted May 1, 2007 at 12:03 AM Posted May 1, 2007 at 12:03 AM I hate to drag this topic on and on lmao, but...I just wanted to add....that I am very proud of my fellow Celine fans for their gracious response to some criticizing comments. I have always believed and will forever believe that Celine has some of the best fans in the world. We take things in stride and turn them into positives! Bravo! For conducting yourselves in a respectable manner! Stay Celineish! Quote They go crazy for you because they know you're true. --Celine Dionhttp://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz226/Congenialdiva/myspacelink.jpgFollow Me on Twitter!Visit Me on Facebook!
Ted Posted May 1, 2007 at 12:33 AM Posted May 1, 2007 at 12:33 AM I agree with you totally Quote http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46/tedxyz/Untitled-TrueColor-02.jpg
brasilero Posted May 1, 2007 at 05:21 AM Posted May 1, 2007 at 05:21 AM I hate to drag this topic on and on lmao, but...I just wanted to add....that I am very proud of my fellow Celine fans for their gracious response to some criticizing comments. I have always believed and will forever believe that Celine has some of the best fans in the world. We take things in stride and turn them into positives! Bravo! For conducting yourselves in a respectable manner! Stay Celineish!hey thanks! we're total class acts , and we not once stooped to the level of the flaming elvis fans, who threw so many derogatory comments at Celine. what a shame, it's as if they're threatened by Celine's enormous talent. not all of them but a few of them acted like total dickheads. and elvis wouldn't have that. Quote
brasilero Posted May 1, 2007 at 07:02 AM Posted May 1, 2007 at 07:02 AM Thanks to all who posted the pictures and media clips You know its a shame when Elvis fans get so defensive with him...its like thier his security guards and NO ONE can touch him (eventhough he`s dead --- physically). You will never see a Celine fan bash Elvis, because a lot of us are music fans first and foremost. We know that Elvis is a legend in his own right, I believe Celine and Renee know this too. I`m sure she was very honored to perform "with him". I just wish that some people would really open thier eyes and look at the whole picture before making an assumption about others...that`s all yea and i find it funny that they dont grant Celine fans usernames to be able to defend Celine over there. and we don't bar them from posting over here. but they come over here to critisize us. here's what there saying now on there forum behind our backs .. Yvosus wrote: Hello, I hope you are rignt but I doubt it coming from Celine Dion's fans as there are most of them fanatical and narrow-minded. I have posted on their forum cause they were boasting about how great Celine was how beautiful she is, and how she could have outshined Elvis so easily and blah blah blah... I tried to tell them that as great as Celine may appear to theirs she was not in the same league as few others like the Bealtes and Elvis who did change the world and made possible the music then listen today. Telling them that Celine may have changed their lives and this is one big achievement but this is where it ended. Some responded saying Elvis didn't change the world and that he was on par with Celine..... How would you convince those people.... - the end- all i gotta say is oh pleeeease... i lol'ed when he called us "fanatical and narrow-minded" because that description fits them perfectly. Quote
Filine Posted May 1, 2007 at 09:12 AM Posted May 1, 2007 at 09:12 AM Well let's just stop it...because this is not a competition between Céline and Elvis or between Céline fans and Elvis fans. Respect for each others believes and passion for an artist please. This was a WONDERFUL duet, let's just agree on that and leave the rest out of it...because it doesn't matter. The message matters! Quote http://www.celinedion.nl/pics/cindy/bannerza.jpg"They call my home the land of snow, Canadian cold front movin' in"
Salla Posted May 1, 2007 at 09:33 AM Posted May 1, 2007 at 09:33 AM Exactly. I think some people are forgetting, that even if they sung on American Idol, they were NOT competing with each other. I would love it if we all, both Céline fans and Elvis fans, could just enjoy this amazing duet and forget the whole who was better thing. They're both fantastic, damnit! Quote
Tal Posted May 1, 2007 at 02:14 PM Author Posted May 1, 2007 at 02:14 PM Just goes to show you which fans have class Quote I live my life like a runawayI hide my dreams in a special placeI'm waiting here for my prince to comeTo save me from the darkness...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.