remykyes Posted February 2, 2024 at 10:37 PM Posted February 2, 2024 at 10:37 PM 12 Ce n’était qu’un rêve10 La voix du bon Dieu8 Au secours6 Les roses blanches4 L'amour viendra2 Autour de moi 1 Quote New Signature Coming Soon!
Zofia Posted February 3, 2024 at 02:26 PM Posted February 3, 2024 at 02:26 PM For the Francophone part I will join in the game, although... ay, until Plamondon it will not be an easy task. I don't like the phenomenon under the name of "children's career"; first, because it is generally psychologically damaging, and second, because I prefer to hear in the artist's voice the richness of many years of experience. In addition, the vocal mannerisms of Céline at the time, fascinated by Ginette Reno, are the antipodes of my own aesthetic tastes in the field of song Even worse are the arrangements, pompous and overloaded with embellishments, and overly sweet, reminiscent of a large wedding cake with pink cream. Interestingly, the lyrics are mostly defensible. My general reaction to this album would be something like: "Child, your instrument is downright amazing: powerful and controllable at the same time! There's not much you know how to do with it yet, but at your age that's normal; educate it, learn, mature unhurriedly, and above all, find out who you are." Contrary to some opinions, I would be very interested in these songs sung by Céline today - filtered through all that she has experienced and can do. The score is, um, a little desperate (it comes out that I gnash my teeth the least at covers ) 12 - Tire l'aiguille 10 - Les roses blanches8 - Autour de moi6 - Grand-maman4 - L'Amour viendra2 - Seul un oiseau blanc 2 Quote
Kong Posted February 3, 2024 at 03:16 PM Posted February 3, 2024 at 03:16 PM 12 - La voix du bon Dieu10 - Ce n'était qu'un rêve08 - L'amour viendra06 - Autour de moi04 - Seul un oiseau blanc02 - Tire l'aiguille 1 Quote
LukeD Posted February 3, 2024 at 05:47 PM Author Posted February 3, 2024 at 05:47 PM Contrary to some opinions, I would be very interested in these songs sung by Céline today - filtered through all that she has experienced and can do. I agree! Adult Celine singing these songs would give them a new lease of life! I also find the lyrics of her 80s albums to be so poetic for the most part. Simple yet poignant. 3 Quote
LukeD Posted February 7, 2024 at 11:18 PM Author Posted February 7, 2024 at 11:18 PM Kind reminder to vote up until the end of play tomorrow 08/02/24. Results will be announced on Friday. 2 Quote
ivo Posted February 8, 2024 at 06:41 AM Posted February 8, 2024 at 06:41 AM I really don’t know what to choose, just listened to this album for the first time! This is my list: 12 Ce n’était qu’un rêve10 Autour de moi 08 Seul un oiseau blanc06 Les roses blanches04 L'amour viendra02 La voix du bon Dieu 1 Quote Amsterdam 18-06-1997 - Amsterdam 14-06-1999 - London 10-07-1999 - Antwerpen 14-05-2008 - Antwerpen 21-11-2013 - Las Vegas 10-10-2015 - Paris 09-07-2016 - Arnhem 23-06-2017
Davey84 Posted February 8, 2024 at 12:53 PM Posted February 8, 2024 at 12:53 PM I love love love her first albums. It shows the big future promise Céline had as a singer but also as a person. Yes, her sound was different than after 1987, when she started to sound more mature and had more poppy songs. But, there are some true gems in her first albums. It is a shame to discard them, just cos she sounds different. Maybe because we have still heard it every now and then, but CNQR is such a powerful song, lyrically and musically. A beautiful start to her career. I would love to hear her sing it in full again! 12 CE N'ETAIT QU'UN REVE10 LA VOIX DU BON DIEU08 L'AMOUR VIENDRA06 LES ROSES BLANCHES04 AU SECOURS02 SEUL UN OISEAU BLANC I'm surprised to see so many people vote for TIRE L'AIGUILLE, cos that's one of my top EEEUHH NO songs from Céline! 2 Quote http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v75/daveyh84/incognito198701_zpsaaootxh1.jpgRick, ik hou van jou voor altijd!A New Day... has come 28/29 April & 2/3 May 07Antwerpen 13 et 14 mai,Paris 24 et 25 mai, Amsterdam 2 juinet Arras 7 juillet Chances Taken!!!How Do You Keep The Music Playing? - Celine Opening Night March 15th, March 16th
Chantemoi Posted February 8, 2024 at 12:56 PM Posted February 8, 2024 at 12:56 PM I'm surprised to see so many people vote for TIRE L'AIGUILLE, cos that's one of my top EEEUHH NO songs from Céline! But it’s so fun! I can just picture her singing this with her family, getting dizzy and just laughing their faces off as the speed picks up. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 Quote
Zofia Posted February 8, 2024 at 03:44 PM Posted February 8, 2024 at 03:44 PM I'm surprised to see so many people vote for TIRE L'AIGUILLE, cos that's one of my top EEEUHH NO songs from Céline! And I've always had a great desire to hear her (in addition to jazz) in folk and even ethno, out of sheer spite, in something more raw than smoothed and lacquered pop Especially since Céline has both the voice, the technique and the musical sensibility for it. 2 Quote
LukeD Posted February 8, 2024 at 06:32 PM Author Posted February 8, 2024 at 06:32 PM I love love love her first albums. It shows the big future promise Céline had as a singer but also as a person. Yes, her sound was different than after 1987, when she started to sound more mature and had more poppy songs. But, there are some true gems in her first albums. It is a shame to discard them, just cos she sounds different. I agree with everything you have written! Only thing I would argue is that her voice became more mature in 1984. In the album 'Melanie' specifically she sounds like an adult IMO. 2 Quote
LukeD Posted February 9, 2024 at 12:13 AM Author Posted February 9, 2024 at 12:13 AM (edited) Thanks for voting everyone! We got the first results! 12 people voted in this round which means a total of 504 points were awarded. They were distributed as follows: 01.La Voix Du Bon Dieu - 78 Points02.Au Secours - 24 Points03.L'amour Viendra - 82 Points04.Autour De Moi - 54 Points05.Grand Maman - 24 Points06.Ce N'etait Qu'un Reve - 96 Points07.Seul Un Oiseau Blanc - 52 Points08.Tire L'aiguille - 44 Points09.Les Roses Blanches - 50 Points Really happy with the results - 3 excellent songs that were also selected as singles back in 1981! Not sure about you, but I prefer this voting system, seems more legit! For the second round we should move to the next album that constituted an era for Celine ''Tellement J'ai D'amour...'' My votes are as follows:Le Piano Fantome - 12 PointsD'amour Ou D'amitie - 10 PointsEcoutez-moi - 08 PointsTellement J'ai D'amour Pour Toi - 06 PointsLe Tour Du Monde - 04 PointsTu Restes Avec Toi - 02 PointsLooking forward to your votes! Voting will end at the end of next Friday 16/02/24 and I will share the results on Saturday 17/02/24! Edited February 9, 2024 at 12:15 AM by LukeD 4 Quote
actofcontrition Posted February 9, 2024 at 12:40 AM Posted February 9, 2024 at 12:40 AM (edited) 12 D’amour ou d’amitié10 Le vieux monsieur de la rue royale08 Visa pour les beaux jours06 Le tour du monde04 Écoutez moi02 Tellement j’ai d’amour pour toi Edited February 9, 2024 at 12:40 AM by actofcontrition 1 Quote
Chantemoi Posted February 9, 2024 at 02:15 AM Posted February 9, 2024 at 02:15 AM Here’s the album, if anyone wants to listen to it first: And the track list: 1 D'amour ou d'amitié 2) Le piano fantôme 3) Tu restes avec moi 4) Tellement j'ai d'amour pour toi 5) Écoutez-moi 6) Le tour du monde 7) Visa pour les beaux jours 8) La voix du bon dieu 9) Le vieux monsieur de la rue Royale Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 4 Quote
Chantemoi Posted February 9, 2024 at 02:21 AM Posted February 9, 2024 at 02:21 AM 12 pts. - Écoutez-moi10 pts. - D’amour ou d’amitié8 pts. - Tellement j'ai d'amour pour toi6 pts. - Visa pour les beaux jours4 pts. - Le tour du monde2 pts. - Le piano fantôme (La voix du bon dieu - already won last round, otherwise that would have made the list). Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 1 Quote
ordinary fan Posted February 9, 2024 at 10:19 AM Posted February 9, 2024 at 10:19 AM Just listened to the album for the first time, in my opinion it's a very solid album, and a very passionate young Celine And I can't believe I missed out on Écoutez-moi all this time, really love this one, enjoyed the whole album my votes: 12 points: D'amour ou d'amitié 10 points: Écoutez-moi 8 points: Tellement j'ai d'amour pour toi 6 points: Le vieux monsieur de la rue royale 4 points: Le piano fântome 2 points: Visa pour les beaux jours 1 Quote
celinesounds Posted February 9, 2024 at 11:47 AM Posted February 9, 2024 at 11:47 AM (edited) 12 Visa pour les beaux jours10 D’amour ou d’amitié8 Tellement j’ai d’amour pour toi 6 Le vieux monsieur de la rue royale4 Tu restes avec moi2 Écoutez moi It’s hard to pic up between visa pour les beaux jours and d’amour ou d’amitié Edited February 9, 2024 at 11:48 AM by celinesounds 1 Quote #FREEJAVITO
dawn Posted February 9, 2024 at 01:22 PM Posted February 9, 2024 at 01:22 PM 12 Visa pour les beaux jours10 D’amour ou d’amitié08 Tellement j’ai d’amour pour toi06 Le tour du monde04 Le vieux monsieur de la rue royale02 Écoutez moi 1 Quote
Zofia Posted February 11, 2024 at 01:58 PM Posted February 11, 2024 at 01:58 PM Returning to this album after many years turned out to be quite a pleasant surprise. For me, it is a qualitative leap from the first album; material that is at once cohesive and diverse, more varied and contemporary in sound. 12 - Le tour du monde10 - Le piano fantôme8 - Visa pour les beaux jours6 - D'amour ou d'amitié4 - Tu restes avec moi2 - Le vieux Monsieur de la rue Royale 2 Quote
LukeD Posted February 11, 2024 at 03:14 PM Author Posted February 11, 2024 at 03:14 PM Returning to this album after many years turned out to be quite a pleasant surprise. For me, it is a qualitative leap from the first album; material that is at once cohesive and diverse, more varied and contemporary in sound.I 100% agree with how you have described both albums. The arrangements of the debut were pompous and overly sweet - the second album is more restrained and carefully crafted. Le Tour Du Monde has a Frank Sinatra vibe, right? 1 Quote
LukeD Posted February 11, 2024 at 03:18 PM Author Posted February 11, 2024 at 03:18 PM Just listened to the album for the first time, in my opinion it's a very solid album, and a very passionate young Celine And I can't believe I missed out on Écoutez-moi all this time, really love this one, enjoyed the whole albumÉcoutez-moi is the type of song that would fit adult Celine's setlists. It's got an anti-war/human rights message. Plus it would work great on stage - big ballad! 2 Quote
LukeD Posted February 11, 2024 at 03:29 PM Author Posted February 11, 2024 at 03:29 PM (edited) . Edited February 11, 2024 at 03:29 PM by LukeD Quote
LukeD Posted February 11, 2024 at 03:34 PM Author Posted February 11, 2024 at 03:34 PM (edited) I just want to draw attention to a particular song of this album: Le Piano Fantome. I do not think there is a song similar to this in her discography. It is quite satirical and somewhat spooky! The melody is playful, but the lyrics address social isolation/loneliness. There are instances of dark humour as well. Here is an English translation I found in the Internet - pretty accurate, I think. She played the piano every evening at seven o'clockChopin waltzes, military marchesTunes that once had made her heart beatHer repertoire dated back to the first war We never saw her, except in the morningWhen she went out to fetch her newspaper and a piece of breadShe lived in the apartment above mineBut she never said hello to her neighbors During winter, she was like a ghost in the houseBut when the summer time came backShe opened her window as we open our heartTo play the piano in the evening at seven o'clock But one beautiful summer evening, when it was so hotShe stopped in the middle of a tangoShe was not a victim of mood swingsShe died of a heart attack And as she did not leave a willOne day they sold her things at auctionsI don't know why, me who did not play much of itI bought for myself the old instrument I already play quite a lot, I already know by heartAt least twenty-five songs of Lennon-McCartneyAnd when I'm old, alone and abandonedI will play them every night at seven o'clock I will play them every night at seven o'clock (Translation by CelineDionWeb.com) Edited February 11, 2024 at 03:36 PM by LukeD 1 Quote
Daysleeper Posted February 11, 2024 at 04:53 PM Posted February 11, 2024 at 04:53 PM 12 - D'amour ou d'amitié10 - Le vieux monsieur de la rue Royale08 - Écoutez-moi06 - Tellement j'ai d'amour pour toi04 - Visa pour les beaux jours02 - Le tour du monde It's funny how I considered this album one of my least favorites from the early period for a long time, despite the fact that 'D'amour ou d'amitié' is one of my all-time favorite Céline songs. Now that I've listened to it again, I'm glad to say I've changed my mind... it's quite pleasant 1 Quote
catlovergirl1982 Posted February 11, 2024 at 08:57 PM Posted February 11, 2024 at 08:57 PM Sorry I do not know the vast majority of these French songs, except for a few of the big hits from the 90s French albums. Please DO NOT "throw stones" at me for not knowing most/all of her French discography lol, & also for not knowing how to speak French either (as I only know 2 words in French, thanks to watching a lot of "Beauty & The Beast" on VHS, then later on DVD, as a child in the 90s lol.) Quote
Chantemoi Posted February 11, 2024 at 11:08 PM Posted February 11, 2024 at 11:08 PM I just want to draw attention to a particular song of this album: Le Piano Fantome. I do not think there is a song similar to this in her discography. It is quite satirical and somewhat spooky! The melody is playful, but the lyrics address social isolation/loneliness. There are instances of dark humour as well. Here is an English translation I found in the Internet - pretty accurate, I think. She played the piano every evening at seven o'clockChopin waltzes, military marchesTunes that once had made her heart beatHer repertoire dated back to the first war We never saw her, except in the morningWhen she went out to fetch her newspaper and a piece of breadShe lived in the apartment above mineBut she never said hello to her neighbors During winter, she was like a ghost in the houseBut when the summer time came backShe opened her window as we open our heartTo play the piano in the evening at seven o'clock But one beautiful summer evening, when it was so hotShe stopped in the middle of a tangoShe was not a victim of mood swingsShe died of a heart attack And as she did not leave a willOne day they sold her things at auctionsI don't know why, me who did not play much of itI bought for myself the old instrument I already play quite a lot, I already know by heartAt least twenty-five songs of Lennon-McCartneyAnd when I'm old, alone and abandonedI will play them every night at seven o'clock I will play them every night at seven o'clock (Translation by CelineDionWeb.com) Your post made me curious who was the lyricist (because it clearly wasn’t Marnay). Surprised to see it was Luc Plamondon!! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 1 Quote
Kong Posted February 14, 2024 at 09:32 AM Posted February 14, 2024 at 09:32 AM 12 - D'amour ou d'amitié10 - Écoutez-moi08 - Tellement j'ai d'amour pour toi06 - Le vieux monsieur de la rue Royale04 - Visa pour les beaux jours02 - Le piano fantôme 1 Quote
LukeD Posted February 14, 2024 at 10:51 AM Author Posted February 14, 2024 at 10:51 AM Sorry I do not know the vast majority of these French songs, except for a few of the big hits from the 90s French albums. Please DO NOT "throw stones" at me for not knowing most/all of her French discography lol, & also for not knowing how to speak French either (as I only know 2 words in French, thanks to watching a lot of "Beauty & The Beast" on VHS, then later on DVD, as a child in the 90s lol.)This is OK. Feel free to have a listen and vote if you want to. First impressions matter! Quote
LukeD Posted February 16, 2024 at 07:13 PM Author Posted February 16, 2024 at 07:13 PM (edited) It is quite shocking that only 8 people participate in this round. The way her early catalogue is being snubbed is absolutely appalling. It is almost as if this is not CDF. And the worst of all is that people do not want to listen! To even give these songs a try! I'm guessing that explains why some haters consider Celine a Whitney/Mariah knock-off. If actual fans do not listen to her early music, it goes without saying that haters have never heard of original ballads like 'Ecoutez-moi', 'Et puis un jour', 'Chante-moi', 'C'est pour toi', 'Comment t'aimer' that pretty much shaped her musical identity long before her 90s hits. Edited February 16, 2024 at 07:14 PM by LukeD 4 Quote
celinesounds Posted February 16, 2024 at 07:26 PM Posted February 16, 2024 at 07:26 PM It is quite shocking that only 8 people participate in this round. The way her early catalogue is being snubbed is absolutely appalling. It is almost as if this is not CDF. And the worst of all is that people do not want to listen! To even give these songs a try! I'm guessing that explains why some haters consider Celine a Whitney/Mariah knock-off. If actual fans do not listen to her early music, it goes without saying that haters have never heard of original ballads like 'Ecoutez-moi', 'Et puis un jour', 'Chante-moi', 'C'est pour toi', 'Comment t'aimer' that pretty much shaped her musical identity long before her 90s hits. Actually her early songs sold pretty well in the 90s and 20s with multiple non oficial compilations Even a few of them were Gold status in different countries The problem is that most of earlier songs were not officially released in a decent version (remixed and remastered) That’s why people are not too much interested in them.Other way Celine hiatus were around 95/96 with the album Deux, The album is in French, but the production is international, Rene was doing everything to make her French songs to be international hits, after that we got great French albums, but were not promoted outside French speaking countries I think the vegas thing was obstacle to promote everything even her English records, If I remember SSDA was sung during LTAL tour And if Celine don’t care about them, why most of her fans would!She did a medley during LTALTour in France, but I think that’s all Quote #FREEJAVITO
ordinary fan Posted February 16, 2024 at 07:50 PM Posted February 16, 2024 at 07:50 PM Actually her early songs sold pretty well in the 90s and 20s with multiple non oficial compilationsEven a few of them were Gold status in different countries The problem is that most of earlier songs were not officially released in a decent version (remixed and remastered)That's why people are not too much interested in them.Other way Celine hiatus were around 95/96 with the album Deux,The album is in French, but the production is international,Rene was doing everything to make her French songs to be international hits, after that we got great French albums, but were not promoted outside French speaking countriesI think the vegas thing was obstacle to promote everything even her English records,If I remember SSDA was sung during LTAL tourAnd if Celine don't care about them, why most of her fans would!She did a medley during LTALTour in France, but I think that's allI don't think that Celine doesn't care, but many songs don't suit her anymore as an adult, I guess that's why she pretty much stopped singing everything what was released before 1987 when her "adult" career begun with the incognito album. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.