LukeD Posted February 19, 2024 at 05:01 PM Author Posted February 19, 2024 at 05:01 PM (edited) This will not be my favorite album, but following the evolution of her voice is very interesting. Overall - the arrangements have again, unfortunately, aged a lot. Most of the songs follow a rather banal and predictable pattern - piano stanza and forte chorus; I very much appreciate her piano, already more colorful, with its characteristic fast vibrato, but I have trouble at times with the flashy forte. And this is a more general comment: if I were composing music for the young Céline, I would suggest more subdued and graded dynamic transitions between piano and forte, because that tendency of hers, insufficiently disciplined in her youth, to give 100% where 80% would be better, will be her problem for many years to come. Céline already sounds great in uptempo songs that correspond much better to the vitality of a young girl than pathetic songs, and in her cover of "Mamy Blue" you can already hear the feeling and freedom of riffing for which she would later become famous. Although this at times close to jazz phrasing and her predilection for playing with her voice like an instrument is something I'd like to get even more from her, because she excels at it..This is my least favourite Celine album. I agree it sounds dated and musically it is not very coherent. There are like 4 songs I really enjoy. The next one is a lot better IMO. ''Et Puis Un Jour'' is my favourite song in the album but the high notes are not great. It is also overdramatic for a teenager. I'd really like to hear adult Celine sing it. Edited February 19, 2024 at 05:03 PM by LukeD 1 Quote
LukeD Posted February 19, 2024 at 05:04 PM Author Posted February 19, 2024 at 05:04 PM Even these songs could be on incognito too Je ne veux pas Comment t'aimer Ma chambrehttps://youtu.be/fdB...wI4VGa_aYfCWQBLJNVP and Ma Chambre were included in some editions of 'Incognito'. But yeah 'Comment T'aimer' could have easily been included as well. This is the best 80s power ballad from her IMO. 1 Quote
celinesounds Posted February 19, 2024 at 07:19 PM Posted February 19, 2024 at 07:19 PM JNVP and Ma Chambre were included in some editions of 'Incognito'. But yeah 'Comment T'aimer' could have easily been included as well. This is the best 80s power ballad from her IMO. I’d pay for a live version of CTA This song deserves to be a hit, and means a lot to me 1 Quote #FREEJAVITO
Chantemoi Posted February 20, 2024 at 02:37 AM Posted February 20, 2024 at 02:37 AM Sorry I have no patience for this. Coming to CDF to read that fans do not listen to the type of music Celine does. And these comments are posted in a thread that I have created to have some fun and celebrate her catalogue. And you imply I am at fault here for not being chill enough or for taking things personally. I am really really done. Let’s just keep playing the game, and when we’re done with the 80s albums, perhaps we can make a playlist of the winners. That will be less daunting for those who can’t be troubled to listen/vote — and who knows, maybe THAT will convince them to go back and listen to the full albums one day. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 4 Quote
catlovergirl1982 Posted February 20, 2024 at 04:57 PM Posted February 20, 2024 at 04:57 PM This is OK. Feel free to have a listen and vote if you want to. First impressions matter! May I ask WHERE do I find these early albums at? I am in the U.S. in case you need to know, & here in the U.S., I have bought Celines music on both I-Tunes & Amazon Music, & the ONLY French albums of hers available are the 3 French albums from the 90s, & the one from 2003/2004, & that's it. The albums from the 80s ARE NOT AVAILABLE IN MY COUNTRY, at least not on I-Tunes or Amazon Music. That is why I am curious where they might be available. IT IS A SHAME that Celines earlier albums are not readily available, on CDs, or digital downloads or streaming? It makes no sense to me, especially with all of the advanced technology we got nowadays lol. I guess yet another stupid decision from Sony Music lol! 🤦😒 Thanks so much. Quote
celinesounds Posted February 20, 2024 at 07:32 PM Posted February 20, 2024 at 07:32 PM May I ask WHERE do I find these early albums at? I am in the U.S. in case you need to know, & here in the U.S., I have bought Celines music on both I-Tunes & Amazon Music, & the ONLY French albums of hers available are the 3 French albums from the 90s, & the one from 2003/2004, & that's it. The albums from the 80s ARE NOT AVAILABLE IN MY COUNTRY, at least not on I-Tunes or Amazon Music. That is why I am curious where they might be available. IT IS A SHAME that Celines earlier albums are not readily available, on CDs, or digital downloads or streaming? It makes no sense to me, especially with all of the advanced technology we got nowadays lol. I guess yet another stupid decision from Sony Music lol! 🤦😒 Thanks so much. This YouTube channel provides HQ streaming to her earlier catalog 1 Quote #FREEJAVITO
ivo Posted February 20, 2024 at 09:06 PM Posted February 20, 2024 at 09:06 PM (edited) Unfortunately missed the last round. l listened to this album in full for the first time, these are my choices:Mon Ami M'a Quittee - 12 PointsLes Chemins De Ma Maison - 10 PointsEt Puis Un Jour - 8 pointsLa Dodo La Do - 6 PointsNe Me Plaignez Pas- 4 PointsMamy Blue - 2 Points Edited February 20, 2024 at 09:07 PM by ivo 1 Quote Amsterdam 18-06-1997 - Amsterdam 14-06-1999 - London 10-07-1999 - Antwerpen 14-05-2008 - Antwerpen 21-11-2013 - Las Vegas 10-10-2015 - Paris 09-07-2016 - Arnhem 23-06-2017
Davey84 Posted February 21, 2024 at 12:45 PM Posted February 21, 2024 at 12:45 PM Interesting how Céline's early years are causing heated discussions! It seems like that time is very much hate it or love it. I for one love the early years. There are so many hidden gems on those first records. I play them often! And I would love to see Céline revisit her old catalogue and do a one off concert for them or an album. It would be so fascinating! I got to know most of the songs from the countless compilations of course. But some might not have been her best material. The best way to listen to them IMO is listening to the whole original album. 5 Quote http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v75/daveyh84/incognito198701_zpsaaootxh1.jpgRick, ik hou van jou voor altijd!A New Day... has come 28/29 April & 2/3 May 07Antwerpen 13 et 14 mai,Paris 24 et 25 mai, Amsterdam 2 juinet Arras 7 juillet Chances Taken!!!How Do You Keep The Music Playing? - Celine Opening Night March 15th, March 16th
dyusha Posted February 21, 2024 at 01:02 PM Posted February 21, 2024 at 01:02 PM May I ask WHERE do I find these early albums at? I am in the U.S. in case you need to know, & here in the U.S., I have bought Celines music on both I-Tunes & Amazon Music, & the ONLY French albums of hers available are the 3 French albums from the 90s, & the one from 2003/2004, & that's it. The albums from the 80s ARE NOT AVAILABLE IN MY COUNTRY, at least not on I-Tunes or Amazon Music. That is why I am curious where they might be available. IT IS A SHAME that Celines earlier albums are not readily available, on CDs, or digital downloads or streaming? It makes no sense to me, especially with all of the advanced technology we got nowadays lol. I guess yet another stupid decision from Sony Music lol! Thanks so much. That’s the thing, those early vinyl albums released in Canada (not to be confused with ones released in France), have NEVER been reissued, which means the only way to officially own them is to buy those old vinyls at an auction! I don’t know any other global superstar whose early albums have never been reissued at least on Apple Music or something, this has been a major point of dissatisfaction for many of Celine’s fans Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 Quote I'll always be with you
comingback Posted February 21, 2024 at 02:35 PM Posted February 21, 2024 at 02:35 PM (edited) That’s the thing, those early vinyl albums released in Canada (not to be confused with ones released in France), have NEVER been reissued, which means the only way to officially own them is to buy those old vinyls at an auction! I don’t know any other global superstar whose early albums have never been reissued at least on Apple Music or something, this has been a major point of dissatisfaction for many of Celine’s fans Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Yes, spotify and itunes only have the compilations Du Soleil Au Coeur and Les Premieres Annees (Feeling Inc. and Sony France releases). Edited February 21, 2024 at 02:50 PM by comingback 1 Quote
comingback Posted February 21, 2024 at 03:32 PM Posted February 21, 2024 at 03:32 PM (edited) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yEzKhgCYHU Was Bedeute Ich Dir? German version of D'Amour Ou D'Amitie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlvwd9tgOBs Mon Ami geh nicht fort / German version of Mon Ami M'A Quittee I still wonder what would have happened if Celine hadn't signed a contract with Sony and would have released the German album in 1987. But she and Rene went the rigtht way with the big contract with Sony.. Did they release the old vinyls in Germany with Columbia Records? Edited February 21, 2024 at 03:46 PM by comingback Quote
Daysleeper Posted February 21, 2024 at 03:32 PM Posted February 21, 2024 at 03:32 PM Here is my verdict for this round. 12 - Du soleil au cœur10 - Toi sur ta montagne8 - Les chemins de ma maison6 - Vivre et donner4 - Et puis un jour2 - Mon ami m'a quittée 1 Quote
comingback Posted February 21, 2024 at 07:39 PM Posted February 21, 2024 at 07:39 PM https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yEzKhgCYHU Was Bedeute Ich Dir? German version of D'Amour Ou D'Amitie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlvwd9tgOBs Mon Ami geh nicht fort / German version of Mon Ami M'A Quittee I still wonder what would have happened if Celine hadn't signed a contract with Sony and would have released the German album in 1987. But she and Rene went the right way with the big contract with Sony. Did they release the old vinyls in Germany with Columbia Records? Quote
nuts2you Posted February 21, 2024 at 09:23 PM Posted February 21, 2024 at 09:23 PM can you guys pls post the Video Link so that some of us can view it, Quote
dyusha Posted February 21, 2024 at 10:58 PM Posted February 21, 2024 at 10:58 PM https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yEzKhgCYHU Was Bedeute Ich Dir? German version of D'Amour Ou D'Amitie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlvwd9tgOBs Mon Ami geh nicht fort / German version of Mon Ami M'A Quittee I still wonder what would have happened if Celine hadn't signed a contract with Sony and would have released the German album in 1987. But she and Rene went the rigtht way with the big contract with Sony.. Did they release the old vinyls in Germany with Columbia Records? I’ve been thinking about it too. I wonder if she recorded any original songs for it. Honestly I’m not a huge fan of translated singles. They all sound kinda sloppy, except maybe Let your Heart Decide. And that’s only cause the lyrics are completely different from the original anyway Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Quote I'll always be with you
comingback Posted February 22, 2024 at 03:06 AM Posted February 22, 2024 at 03:06 AM I’ve been thinking about it too. I wonder if she recorded any original songs for it. Honestly I’m not a huge fan of translated singles. They all sound kinda sloppy, except maybe Let your Heart Decide. And that’s only cause the lyrics are completely different from the original anyway Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk She recorded songs for a German album in 1986 (she told that in a Christmas show in Quebec in 1986), but it was not released, because of the Sony contract. So there are other German songs out there. Quote
CelinesDIVO5 Posted February 22, 2024 at 09:02 AM Posted February 22, 2024 at 09:02 AM (edited) I’ve been thinking about it too. I wonder if she recorded any original songs for it. Honestly I’m not a huge fan of translated singles. They all sound kinda sloppy, except maybe Let your Heart Decide. And that’s only cause the lyrics are completely different from the original anyway Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk LYHD may be my least favorite English song of hers lol. I feel like the lyrics were totally rushed in the writing process, and they don’t really make sense as far as telling a story goes, in my opinion. I think “I Don’t Know” is a masterpiece. Edited February 22, 2024 at 09:03 AM by CelinesDIVO5 4 Quote https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL54qnRGM2gMatthew Charles - "Fix You" - Live at The Stonewall InnStonewall Sensation - Season 15Originally written and performed by Coldplay
Ukrfan Posted February 22, 2024 at 02:26 PM Posted February 22, 2024 at 02:26 PM LYHD may be my least favorite English song of hers lol. I feel like the lyrics were totally rushed in the writing process, and they don't really make sense as far as telling a story goes, in my opinion. I think "I Don't Know" is a masterpiece. IDK also seems to be a very close translation of Je Se Pais. I also really like If That's What It Takes. Not a big fan of Vole/Fly myself, but I also think the translation was decent. Won't say anything about LYHD Quote
CelinesDIVO5 Posted February 22, 2024 at 03:23 PM Posted February 22, 2024 at 03:23 PM IDK also seems to be a very close translation of Je Se Pais. I also really like If That's What It Takes. Not a big fan of Vole/Fly myself, but I also think the translation was decent. Won't say anything about LYHD HowAmIGonnaStopItIfYouWannaGiveItAllToLurve 1 Quote https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL54qnRGM2gMatthew Charles - "Fix You" - Live at The Stonewall InnStonewall Sensation - Season 15Originally written and performed by Coldplay
Chantemoi Posted February 22, 2024 at 05:33 PM Posted February 22, 2024 at 05:33 PM (edited) HowAmIGonnaStopItIfYouWannaGiveItAllToLurve IMO the worst adaptation of any of her French songs. The lyrics seem like an AI-generated word salad. Edit:Actually, now that I’m thinking about it, someone should make an AI English version - I think it would be BETTER! Edited February 22, 2024 at 05:35 PM by Chantemoi 3 Quote
celinesounds Posted February 22, 2024 at 05:37 PM Posted February 22, 2024 at 05:37 PM HowAmIGonnaStopItIfYouWannaGiveItAllToLurve As I remember LYHD is the original version, then they did the French version Quote #FREEJAVITO
Chantemoi Posted February 22, 2024 at 05:40 PM Posted February 22, 2024 at 05:40 PM As I remember LYHD is the original version, then they did the French version I mean…. Astérix is a French cartoon character Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 Quote
CelinesDIVO5 Posted February 22, 2024 at 06:46 PM Posted February 22, 2024 at 06:46 PM As I remember LYHD is the original version, then they did the French version I believe this is the scenario for “Je t’aime encore” 1 Quote https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL54qnRGM2gMatthew Charles - "Fix You" - Live at The Stonewall InnStonewall Sensation - Season 15Originally written and performed by Coldplay
LukeD Posted February 22, 2024 at 07:03 PM Author Posted February 22, 2024 at 07:03 PM (edited) Je T'aime Encore, I Don't Know and Fly are the best English adaptions of French songs. ITWIT is very bland and generic compared to the more passionate and colourful PQTME. That said, it fit perfectly in FIY. Lyrically it is close to MYH, YL and BYLM. LYHD is by far the worst - it is not only bad compared to TLS, it is bad in its own right. One of the few songs I hope she had never recovered, same level as 'Superwoman' in my books. Edited February 22, 2024 at 07:04 PM by LukeD 1 Quote
LukeD Posted February 22, 2024 at 07:08 PM Author Posted February 22, 2024 at 07:08 PM (edited) IDK also seems to be a very close translation of Je Se Pais.The meaning/message is the same yes. But Fly and Je T'aime Encore (English) are closer to their French versions. With IDK they did stick to the meaning, but the French version is a lot darker. There are references to blood, war, divine punishments, violence, dark pains, red angers. It's really haunting. Edited February 22, 2024 at 07:10 PM by LukeD Quote
celinesounds Posted February 22, 2024 at 07:43 PM Posted February 22, 2024 at 07:43 PM I believe this is the scenario for “Je t’aime encore” I can’t find a source But the song was written and produced by Kristian Lundin Quote #FREEJAVITO
CelinesDIVO5 Posted February 22, 2024 at 08:11 PM Posted February 22, 2024 at 08:11 PM I can’t find a source But the song was written and produced by Kristian Lundin It’s not uncommon for Swedish people to speak French. He very well could have written TLS first, which makes the most sense to me based on the coherence of the lyrics and the intended use of the song. 2 Quote https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL54qnRGM2gMatthew Charles - "Fix You" - Live at The Stonewall InnStonewall Sensation - Season 15Originally written and performed by Coldplay
CelinesDIVO5 Posted February 22, 2024 at 09:48 PM Posted February 22, 2024 at 09:48 PM I can’t find a source But the song was written and produced by Kristian Lundin Jacques Veneruso also co-wrote the song, which I just found in some more research. He probably wrote the lyrics. 1 Quote https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL54qnRGM2gMatthew Charles - "Fix You" - Live at The Stonewall InnStonewall Sensation - Season 15Originally written and performed by Coldplay
dyusha Posted February 23, 2024 at 02:33 PM Posted February 23, 2024 at 02:33 PM IMO the worst adaptation of any of her French songs. The lyrics seem like an AI-generated word salad. Edit:Actually, now that Iâm thinking about it, someone should make an AI English version - I think it would be BETTER! Haha I respect that Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Quote I'll always be with you
Kong Posted February 23, 2024 at 03:50 PM Posted February 23, 2024 at 03:50 PM Mon ami m'a quittée - 12Toi sur ta montagne - 10Ne me plaignez pas - 8Et puis un jour - 6Mamy Blue - 4Vivre et donner - 2 1 Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.