Jump to content

[Game] Céline Dion's 'Eras' Tour


Recommended Posts

Posted

I love Les chemins de ma maison! It's such a strong title song! One of my fav early albums! And I like how Céline leaned towards blues with MB and NMPP.

 

12 Les chemins de ma maison

10 Mamy Blue

08 Ne me plaignez pas

06 Du soleil au cœur

04 Et puis un jour

02 Mon ami m'a quittée

00 *bonus)Toi sur ta montagne

  • Like 1


Rick, ik hou van jou voor altijd!



A New Day... has come 28/29 April & 2/3 May 07



Antwerpen 13 et 14 mai,Paris 24 et 25 mai, Amsterdam 2 juinet Arras 7 juillet Chances Taken!!!



How Do You Keep The Music Playing? - Celine Opening Night March 15th, March 16th

Posted (edited)

Les Chemins De Ma Maison Results!

 

11 people voted in this round and therefore 462 points were awarded as follows:

 

Mon Ami M'a Quitte - 86 Points

Toi Sur Ta Montagne - 32 Points

Ne Me Plaignez Pas - 56 Points

Vivre Et Donner - 8 Points

Mamy Blue - 40 Points

Du Soleil Au Coeur - 54 Points

Et Puis Un Jour - 50 Points

Hello Mister Sam - 34 Points

La Dodo La Do - 34 Points

Les Chemins De Ma Maison - 68 Points

 

Great choices! Interestingly agreeing with the single selections in MAMQ and NMPP. I guess back then the team did a better job at picking singles giggle.gif

 

Now we move on to her 1984 album Melanie! wub.png I love so many songs in this one that is really difficult to choose! To me this is the best album she did in the 80s.

  • Chante-moi - 12 Points. I almost cry every time. mellow.gif
  • Une Colombe - 10 Points. I can cry with this one as well. One of her best songs. I could see it in a medley with 'Ecoutez-Moi' and 'Let's Talk About Love'.
  • Mon Reve De Toujours - 8 Points. This is my favourite Celine song to listen to when I am in the train. giggle.gif It is so good for journeys!
  • Un Amour Pour Moi - 6 Points. This is so catchy! Out of all her early albums this one has the most distinct pop sound. Very radio friendly!
  • Melanie - 4 Points. Simply haunting! Dedicated to her niece who was diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis. down.gif
  • Trois Heures Vingt - 2 Points. Very romantic, 2 points do not do it justice. Ideally all these songs would be included in her setlists. It's such a strong album!

 

Voting for this round will end by the end of play Saturday 02 March 2024. I will announce the results next Sunday. flowers.gif

Edited by LukeD
  • Like 3
Posted

The set-list:

 

01. Melanie

02. Chante-moi

03. Un Amour Pour Moi

04. Trop Jeune A Dix-sept ans

05. Mon Reve De Toujours

06. Va Ou S'en Va L'amour

07. Comme On Disait Avant

08. Benjamin

09. Trois Heures Vingt

10. Une Colombe

  • Like 1
Posted (edited)

The set-list:

 

01. Melanie

02. Chante-moi

03. Un Amour Pour Moi

04. Trop Jeune A Dix-sept ans

05. Mon Reve De Toujours

06. Va Ou S'en Va L'amour

07. Comme On Disait Avant

08. Benjamin

09. Trois Heures Vingt

10. Une Colombe

 

 

Un Amour Pour Moi - 12

Trop Jeune A Dix-sept ans - 10

Mon Reve De Toujours - 8

Melanie - 6

Une Colombe - 4

Benjamin - 2

Edited by celinesounds
  • Like 1

#FREEJAVITO

 

Posted

12 Trop jeune à dix-sept ans

10 Un amour pour moi

08 Trois heures vingt

06 Mélanie

04 Mon rêve de toujours

02 Benjamin

  • Like 1
Posted

12 - Chante-moi

 

10 - Mon Reve De Toujours

 

8 - Va Ou S'en Va L'amour

 

6 - Un Amour Pour Moi

 

4 - Comme On Disait Avant

 

2- Trop jeune à dix-sept ans

 

 

** I wanted to include Une Colombe and Trois heures vingt, too, but since we’ve heard those songs somewhat recently they got the axe.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 1
Posted

12 Chante moi

10 Va où s’en va l’amour

08 Mon rêve de toujours

06 Comme on disait avant

04 Un amour pour moi

02 Trois heure vingt

  • Like 1
Posted

12 - Chante-moi

 

Is your account named after this song?
Posted (edited)

https://www.celinedionweb.com/en/lyrics/chante-moi/

 

We don't know

Where tomorrow goes

And I love you today

One day goes

The other comes back

But you're in my life

You came from my love

My heart met you

Stopping the time running

So ... This music

Sing it always

Sing it always

Stay there

And sing it for me

Edited by LukeD
Posted
It is quite shocking that only 8 people participate in this round. The way her early catalogue is being snubbed is absolutely appalling. It is almost as if this is not CDF.

 

And the worst of all is that people do not want to listen! To even give these songs a try!

 

I'm guessing that explains why some haters consider Celine a Whitney/Mariah knock-off. If actual fans do not listen to her early music, it goes without saying that haters have never heard of original ballads like 'Ecoutez-moi', 'Et puis un jour', 'Chante-moi', 'C'est pour toi', 'Comment t'aimer' that pretty much shaped her musical identity long before her 90s hits.

To be honest, too much effort for these rounds.

What isn't helping is that these songs aren't on Spotify for easy access.

 

And honestly her early work from the 80s, I can't listen to a full complete album it's all over the place.

The sometimes very dated music, and her very young voice which they loved to showcase on long and high notes but aren't always pleasant for the ears. :giggle:

 

Doesn't mean I dont love some of her oldies.

 

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-F721B met Tapatalk

 

 

Posted (edited)

To be honest, too much effort for these rounds.

What isn't helping is that these songs aren't on Spotify for easy access.

 

And honestly her early work from the 80s, I can't listen to a full complete album it's all over the place.

The sometimes very dated music, and her very young voice which they loved to showcase on long and high notes but aren't always pleasant for the ears. giggle.gif

 

Doesn't mean I dont love some of her oldies.

You are literally confirming everything I've said.

 

First, her albums are in good quality on YouTube - there are even Playlists. Second, by 1984 she's 16 and sounded like an adult. 'Melanie' and 'C'est Pour Toi' (albums) are beautifully sung.

Edited by LukeD
Posted

12 Chante moi

10 Va où s’en va l’amour

08 Mon rêve de toujours

06 Comme on disait avant

04 Un amour pour moi

02 Trois heure vingt

 

This is a very strong album. This is by far my favorite pre-Sony album!

  • Like 1
Posted

Sorry, I have a bit of a problem with this album (however, I emphasize that I am the one with the problem, not her ;) ). On the one hand, it's very coherent, and on the other hand, there are a lot of sweet and sentimental songs on it, which I'm not fond of in anyone's performance. Vocally, it's not bad, and at times it's even very promising; Céline's voice control is getting better, her emission is quite stable and she has nice, open lows, but there's still a lot of effortful singing and a rather monotonous timbre. It's possible that years ago, after listening to this album, I would have thought that it would be difficult for this young singer to get rid of her mannerisms... and I would have been very wrong. Besides, I wonder, against the backdrop of all your warm words for this album, where my reserve comes from; I guess I just prefer Céline outside her comfort zone, less smooth, more raw (moins lisse, plus brute)? Maybe.

 

I also had a problem with scoring below 8 points; "Une colombe" has terribly banal lyrics, but musically it somehow defends itself.

 

Mon rêve de toujours - 12

Va où s'en va l'amour - 10

Comme on disait avant - 8

Une colombe - 6

Trois heures vingt - 4

Un amour pour moi - 2

  • Like 1
Posted
You are literally confirming everything I've said.

 

First, her albums are in good quality on YouTube - there are even Playlists. Second, by 1984 she's 16 and sounded like an adult. 'Melanie' and 'C'est Pour Toi' (albums) are beautifully sung.

And what is that exactly?

 

You were shocked why so few people participated. I just gave you my reason for not participating.

 

That definitely doesnt mean I'm ignoring her early catalogue, or don't wanna give it a try.

I've been around long enough to have heard all of her songs.

It's easier to rate songs from the 90s till now without listening to them, than the 80s which I don't play often.

 

And that for the reasons I've mentioned before.

The compilations that can be found on Spotify are my go too when I'm in the mood for her early work.

 

And yes I'm aware of YouTube and their playlists, but I prefer other ways to listen.

And yes, by 1984 her voice and music was much easier for the ears than what they released before.

 

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-F721B met Tapatalk

 

 

Posted
Is your account named after this song?

 

Duh lol

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 2
Posted

And what is that exactly?

Re-read the posts in relation to snubbing and silly excuses.
Posted

 

 

That’s the thing, those early vinyl albums released in Canada (not to be confused with ones released in France), have NEVER been reissued, which means the only way to officially own them is to buy those old vinyls at an auction!

 

I don’t know any other global superstar whose early albums have never been reissued at least on Apple Music or something, this has been a major point of dissatisfaction for many of Celine’s fans

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

Yea that is a HUGE MISTAKE FROM SONY! Why in the heck, in the year 2024, with all of the ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY in the world, are Celine's early albums STILL NOT AVAILABLE for digital downloads, streaming, or anything? It makes me scratch my head that Sony are being SOOO STUPID as to not have these albums released in other formats at this point, they are not even available on CDs, which to me is so weird!

 

& thanks for mentioning about the YouTube videos, I will try to track those videos & watch/listen to them. Now personally when it comes to the vinyl records, sorry but they are NOT MY THING lol. For one thing, I DO NOT OWN RECORD PLAYERS, so to me having vinyl records are a waste of $$ that I cannot afford to waste lol. I am not much of a collector of things if neither my family or I am not using them or if they have no sentimental value to my family or to me, so they would be useless without a record player anyway, & they would just sit on a shelf gathering dust lol. But thanks so much anyway, have a great day.

  • Like 1
Posted (edited)

"Une colombe" has terribly banal lyrics, but musically it somehow defends itself.

I find this very interesting. I can understand how one could view the lyrics as banal. I share that view myself. giggle.gif However, what is interesting is that this simplicity/predictability of the lyrics works so much for this particular song that tries to emphasise world peace and freedom. I think the message is so universal and straightforward that I would not need more complexity. I mean, the way the lyrics are written pretty much indicate how a kid would approach this topic - this adds some innocence to the song. I think this is why there is reference to youthfulness of the dove - it is to highlight the purity of children, the innocence that would ideally underpin human life. Edited by LukeD
  • Like 1
Posted (edited)

I find this very interesting. I can understand how one could view the lyrics as banal. I share that view myself. giggle.gif However, what is interesting is that this simplicity/predictability of the lyrics works so much for this particular song that tries to emphasise world peace and freedom. I think the message is so universal and straightforward that I would not need more complexity. I mean, the way the lyrics are written pretty much indicate how a kid would approach this topic - this adds some innocence to the song. I think this is why there is reference to youthfulness of the dove - it is to highlight the purity of children, the innocence that would ideally underpin human life.

 

In Germany we have the children song "Kleine Weiße Friedenstaube"/Little White Dove Of Peace (written in East Germany in 1949, inspired by Picasso and his picture with a dove of peace). So what you say about the innocent view of a child about world peace is not wrong.

Edited by comingback
  • Like 1
Posted

I find this very interesting. I can understand how one could view the lyrics as banal. I share that view myself. giggle.gif However, what is interesting is that this simplicity/predictability of the lyrics works so much for this particular song that tries to emphasise world peace and freedom. I think the message is so universal and straightforward that I would not need more complexity. I mean, the way the lyrics are written pretty much indicate how a kid would approach this topic - this adds some innocence to the song. I think this is why there is reference to youthfulness of the dove - it is to highlight the purity of children, the innocence that would ideally underpin human life.

 

I agree that there is a subjective factor in such evaluations and that it ultimately determines our overall yes or no.

 

I could list the weaknesses of this text: the worn-out symbol of the dove without any break, any contrast in the text, trite exact rhymes like "voyage / message / passage," the enumeration of abstract nouns "amour, paix, amitié" , etc. When you add to this an appearance before the Pope visiting Canada in 1984 - with everything we know about the ambiguous role of the Catholic Church in the country's history as well - it's hard not to see such "innocence" as naïve. "Une colombe" was indeed perfect for a propaganda song.

 

On the other hand - I myself, for example, forgive Luc Plamondon for balancing on the edge of kitsch in "l'Amour existe encore." Maybe because he balances consciously? And that Céline in her interpretation also balances brilliantly on the border of exaggeration and hysteria? A gram of emotion more, and the performance would laugh instead of move. And it probably makes someone laugh, however, but it moves me (that's the subjective factor I mentioned at the beginning).

 

In Germany we have the children song "Kleine Weiße Friedenstaube"/Little White Dove Of Peace (written in East Germany in 1949, inspired by Picasso and his picture with a dove of peace). So what you say about the innocent view of a child about world peace is not wrong.

 

It's just that it's actually the other way around: the fact that the symbol of the "dove of peace" was used earlier by a children's choir from East Germany, and even earlier by Picasso, and even earlier by the authors of the biblical book of Genesis, means that the risk of banality and kitsch increases with each successive use, not decreases ;)

 

To make matters worse, the more often state-subsidized children's choirs in the countries of the Soviet sphere of influence sang about the doves of peace at the time, the more their countries became involved in the "Cold War." Unfortunately, the same thing is happening in Canada: in 2017 Eric Plamondon (b. 1969), in his excellent novel "Taqawan" (one of the first to break the taboo of abuse against Quebec's indigenous population), uses the image of young Céline as a symbol of a certain false innocence of the country's official culture: while her peers on "Indian" reserves face violence and the failure of their dreams, on TV, dressed in white lace, Céline sings cloying songs about doves and butterflies. It was with sadness that I read this passage, but it's hard to disagree with it.

Posted

 

 

I agree that there is a subjective factor in such evaluations and that it ultimately determines our overall yes or no.

 

I could list the weaknesses of this text: the worn-out symbol of the dove without any break, any contrast in the text, trite exact rhymes like "voyage / message / passage," the enumeration of abstract nouns "amour, paix, amitié" , etc. When you add to this an appearance before the Pope visiting Canada in 1984 - with everything we know about the ambiguous role of the Catholic Church in the country's history as well - it's hard not to see such "innocence" as naïve. "Une colombe" was indeed perfect for a propaganda song.

 

On the other hand - I myself, for example, forgive Luc Plamondon for balancing on the edge of kitsch in "l'Amour existe encore." Maybe because he balances consciously? And that Céline in her interpretation also balances brilliantly on the border of exaggeration and hysteria? A gram of emotion more, and the performance would laugh instead of move. And it probably makes someone laugh, however, but it moves me (that's the subjective factor I mentioned at the beginning).

 

 

 

It's just that it's actually the other way around: the fact that the symbol of the "dove of peace" was used earlier by a children's choir from East Germany, and even earlier by Picasso, and even earlier by the authors of the biblical book of Genesis, means that the risk of banality and kitsch increases with each successive use, not decreases ;)

 

To make matters worse, the more often state-subsidized children's choirs in the countries of the Soviet sphere of influence sang about the doves of peace at the time, the more their countries became involved in the "Cold War." Unfortunately, the same thing is happening in Canada: in 2017 Eric Plamondon (b. 1969), in his excellent novel "Taqawan" (one of the first to break the taboo of abuse against Quebec's indigenous population), uses the image of young Céline as a symbol of a certain false innocence of the country's official culture: while her peers on "Indian" reserves face violence and the failure of their dreams, on TV, dressed in white lace, Céline sings cloying songs about doves and butterflies. It was with sadness that I read this passage, but it's hard to disagree with it.

Posted
I don't think that the writer of "Kleine Weiße Friedenstaube" wrote the song for propaganda after WW II. It was meant for children and children songs are simple and banal. Of course you are right, when you say that children/children songs are often used for propaganda in dictatorships/wars. Like Putin celebrates himself on stage with children in Moscow.
Posted

l listened to this album in full for the first time, like it a lot! My choices:

  • Trois heures vingt - 12 Points
  • Trop jeune a dix sept ans - 10 Points
  • Un amour pour toi - 8 points
  • Comme on disait avant - 6 Points
  • Mon reve de toujours - 4 Points
  • Une colombe - 2 Points

  • Like 1

Amsterdam 18-06-1997 - Amsterdam 14-06-1999 - London 10-07-1999 - Antwerpen 14-05-2008 - Antwerpen 21-11-2013 - Las Vegas 10-10-2015 - Paris 09-07-2016 - Arnhem 23-06-2017

Posted

I don't think that the writer of "Kleine Weiße Friedenstaube" wrote the song for propaganda after WW II. It was meant for children and children songs are simple and banal. Of course you are right, when you say that children/children songs are often used for propaganda in dictatorships/wars. Like Putin celebrates himself on stage with children in Moscow.

 

Oh, and here we definitely agree. Usually we don't know (and, more importantly, have no way to verify) what the intentions of the author of this or that cultural text were, so I'm not trying one bit to claim that the authors of "Kleine Weiße Friedenstaube" and "Une colombe" were propagandists. But a simple and naive text plus a child performer - it's a very vulnerable set, capable of being used for a not always good cause. I guess most bloody dictators liked to surround themselves with children singing cloying songs and releasing doves of peace. Mature works - if only because they tend to be more ambiguous – are usually incomparably more resistant to such manipulations.

 

I leave aside the fact that when recording "Une colombe" Céline was not 6 and not even 10, but 16, which does not add credibility. It's understandable that she was beginning to feel too cramped in such a repertoire.

 

But I stress - I understand that "Une colombe" or "Melanie" can move someone. In these cases I'm not buying, but I myself am compromisingly moved by songs that someone else would find too sentimental.

Posted

12 - Mon rêve de toujours

10 - Trois heures vingt

8 - Trop jeune à dix-sept ans

6 - Benjamin

4 - Mélanie

2 - Un amour pour moi

Posted

The best album ever, because it was released in the best year ever, 1984 :P :giggle:

 

I don't think there's a bad song on the album. Chante-Moi has an eternal message. And Trop Jeune A Dix-sept ans is just haunting! Trois Heures Vingt always was a very intriguing song, but after Renés passing, it got so much more meaning.

 

12 Chante-moi

10 Trop Jeune A Dix-sept ans

08 Trois Heures Vingt

06 Melanie

04 Mon Reve De Toujours

02 Un Amour Pour Moi

 

  • Like 2


Rick, ik hou van jou voor altijd!



A New Day... has come 28/29 April & 2/3 May 07



Antwerpen 13 et 14 mai,Paris 24 et 25 mai, Amsterdam 2 juinet Arras 7 juillet Chances Taken!!!



How Do You Keep The Music Playing? - Celine Opening Night March 15th, March 16th

Posted (edited)
12 - Mon rêve de toujours

10 - Trois heures vingt

8 - Trop jeune à dix-sept ans

6 - Benjamin

4 - Mélanie

2 - Un amour pour moi

OMG! What a mistake I made! I forgot Chante-moi. Luke, please ignore the one above. Here is the correct one:

 

12 - Mon rêve de toujours

10 - Chante-moi

8 - Trois heures vingt

6 - Trop jeune à dix-sept ans

4 - Benjamin

2 - Mélanie

 

And I agree with Davey. It's one of the best and I think it was the most popular one from that period.

Edited by Daysleeper
  • Like 2
Posted

12 Trois Heures Vingt

10 Mon Reve De Toujours

8 Un Amour Pour Moi

6 Trop Jeune A Dix-sept ans

4 Benjamin

2 Mélanie

  • Like 1
Tommy
Posted (edited)

My votes for Melanie album:

 

very strong songs and certainly many of my favourite from that era from '81-'87 :)

 

12p trop jeune à 17 ans

 

10p un amour pour moi

 

8p mon rêve de toujours

 

6p Melanie

 

4p chante-moi

 

2p une colombe

Edited by ordinary fan
  • Like 2
Posted

OMG! What a mistake I made! I forgot Chante-moi. Luke, please ignore the one above. Here is the correct one:

 

12 - Mon rêve de toujours

10 - Chante-moi

8 - Trois heures vingt

6 - Trop jeune à dix-sept ans

4 - Benjamin

2 - Mélanie

 

And I agree with Davey. It's one of the best and I think it was the most popular one from that period.

I was actually surprised that you had not included 'Chante-moi' because I have noticed we got very similar tastes and I had given it 12 points giggle.gif
  • Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...