Chantemoi Posted May 14, 2023 at 03:41 PM Posted May 14, 2023 at 03:41 PM (edited) Some here fail to understand that LITERALLY the whole world doesn't care. I'm reading that they are pushing this , or chasing that but everything it's in your head. Nothing is happening! You are spending more time thinking and writing about it , making theories etc than a whole world is spending listening Céline's latest release ( by hardly exaggerating). I hope some of you realize how abyssal is the pointlessness of it all. Hahahahahaha Exactly. No one cares! It’s a waste of time to expend so much energy on things out of our control. Don’t forget the old adage that repeatedly doing the same thing and expecting different results is “insanity”. Also don’t forget during the pandemic, the Say Yes Céline campaign we worked full-time to get a message to her team… did we hear back from anyone? Nope. They aren’t interested in our opinions or the “could be” scenarios if certain singles got released or rare concerts put on streaming. We tried, it didn’t work. So we moved on. Now I’ll take whatever scraps they throw us (except for Superwoman - they can have that one back!). Just enjoy the music you like any leave it alone. Venting your frustration is fine, I guess, but realize the emotional investment you choose to make regarding her career is a waste of your time and energy! Edited May 14, 2023 at 03:42 PM by Chantemoi 2 Quote
GoldenLeaf Posted May 14, 2023 at 04:10 PM Posted May 14, 2023 at 04:10 PM Hmm... Dolly Parton's new song ''World On Fire'' is #22 on the iTunes Worldwide Song Chart and Celine's ''I'll Be'' is only #78. Granted, Dolly performed her new song at The 58th ACM Awards so that must be why her new song is being more streamed and more purchased than Celine's. 1 Quote
scielle Posted May 14, 2023 at 04:11 PM Posted May 14, 2023 at 04:11 PM Haha, I came here to say exactly that. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results. Reality is… Celine is not going to have new hits… even if she released the best song she could… at this stage it's not going to happen. Celine chased the charts years ago… Which is why it's perplexing to watch Sony spend marketing dollars on things that don't resonate with her audience, in some hapless search for a new one. The Gift was placed on numerous playlists worldwide and is getting physical billboards. What's the result? Just looking at YouTube, a grand total of 34k streams? Meanwhile some random fan account posting a 15-sec snipped of PMLALS got to 14k in the same number of days on the back of word-of-mouth of the most dedicated fanbase alone. 2 Quote
LukeD Posted May 14, 2023 at 04:47 PM Posted May 14, 2023 at 04:47 PM (edited) I'm reading that they are pushing this , or chasing that but everything it's in your head. Nothing is happening! You are spending more time thinking and writing about it , making theories etc than a whole world is spending listening Céline's latest release ( by hardly exaggerating). Thanks for the reality check but I do not need one. It is a fact that her team has been pushing/chasing a different approach to the production and vocals of her albums since 2013. This is what I am referring to. To the quality of her recordings. I am hoping for a more mature sound that I think will sit better with her audience that is progressively abandoning her. Again, I am talking in the context of her audience, not the world, because I know she is well past her prime. Also, her streaming numbers are not horrendous. They are relatively low yes, but she is solely relying on hits released 30 and 20 years ago. Edited May 14, 2023 at 04:50 PM by LukeD Quote
mebe Posted May 14, 2023 at 04:47 PM Posted May 14, 2023 at 04:47 PM The Gift was played again today on 107.3 Rouge in Québec. I guess its the new single. I wish they had picked I'll Be instead. But still im glad they play a new song from the soundtrack!! Envoyé de mon SM-A526W en utilisant Tapatalk 1 Quote
ryba Posted May 14, 2023 at 05:08 PM Posted May 14, 2023 at 05:08 PM I like the approach of mixing some good uptempo modern songs with some well crafted power ballads on a Celine Dion album. However, the songs must be of high quality, and her vocal delivery must be on point. Lately, it seems like she doesn’t care how she sounds on a record, and that’s unfortunate. 2 Quote
LukeD Posted May 14, 2023 at 05:09 PM Posted May 14, 2023 at 05:09 PM (edited) A final point. Last decade we witnessed something unprecedented. For the first time in her career we saw her French studio albums ending up selling as much or even outselling her English album releases. It is a fact that the francophone audiences remained more faithful to Celine than the anglophone ones. Have you ever wondered why? I personally attribute this to how Celine stayed more true to herself when it came to French studio albums. But feel free to disagree. Edited May 14, 2023 at 05:10 PM by LukeD 2 Quote
Katie Posted May 14, 2023 at 05:11 PM Posted May 14, 2023 at 05:11 PM Whilst working on "Waiting on you"! https://www.instagram.com/p/CsNizqEudVP/ 3 Quote
ryba Posted May 14, 2023 at 05:11 PM Posted May 14, 2023 at 05:11 PM A final point. Last decade we witnessed something unprecedented. For the first time in her career we saw her French studio albums ending up selling as much or even outselling her English album releases. It is a fact that the francophone audiences remained more faithful to Celine than the anglophone ones. I personally attribute this to how Celine stayed more true to herself when it came to French studio albums. But feel free to disagree.I wonder what would happen if her next English album was signature Celine sound like in the 90s with proper global promotion. I bet she would sell tremendously again. Quote
MaiconSC Posted May 14, 2023 at 05:14 PM Posted May 14, 2023 at 05:14 PM The Gift is a great opener for the movie... If it's going or not to be a hit, we can't do nothing about it...But we can overflood the internet with her new music, twitter, instagram, facebook, anywhere... Quote
PuraVida Posted May 14, 2023 at 05:19 PM Posted May 14, 2023 at 05:19 PM My post was not about the style of song but about the approach to the production and singing. Up-tempo songs are always welcome, but she does not have to sound like a chipmunk. That part. lol. She seems to love doing vocal impressions on these up-tempo songs, for some reason. That's why so many of her up-tempo songs are cheapened. I think "I'll Be" was perfect, catchy and the pronunciation was good. Along those same lines, I think the studio version of "Love Can Move Mountains" is incredible! It's only over the yaers that her live performances of it got stranger and she was not singing all the same notes/parts in the original. 1 Quote
Zofia Posted May 14, 2023 at 05:28 PM Posted May 14, 2023 at 05:28 PM Since I'm not a typical Céline fan, my opinion probably isn't very representative; I don't like pop music and I don't care about trends in the mainstream of the music industry. I follow Céline's career because I see in her a genius performer (it was enough to see her once on the stage to know it once and for all) and someone real and original within the artifices of pop culture (that's pretty much what Wilson remarks on in his book after seeing her show in Vegas) - which makes her one of the most fascinating characters in contemporary popular culture. That's why I don't care if it's “a niche” or not, as long as it's authentic and she can express herself deeply through the material she gets. I dream that she does something stripped down, acoustic that will highlight her mature voice that I love at least as much as her youthful power of yesteryear. Could her status as an icon allow her to free herself from all these constraints such as "sales, scores, trends" and could she free her audience from them! If only the disease does not become too cruel even towards someone as combative as her, if only she will not be crushed by this ordeal... the drama she is going through will become an integral and important part of her legend. I very much hope that one day she will succeed in sublimating this horror in an artistic expression, be it acting or recording. She doesn't deserve her present fate so much… But because I know the world of the seriously ill quite closely, for now fear equals my hope. 6 Quote
LukeD Posted May 14, 2023 at 05:51 PM Posted May 14, 2023 at 05:51 PM (edited) Love Of My Life is growing on me. The movie helped! On YouTube it has more views than Waiting On You and The Gift combined. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPBhFai_REk Edited May 14, 2023 at 05:53 PM by LukeD 2 Quote
GoldenLeaf Posted May 14, 2023 at 06:00 PM Posted May 14, 2023 at 06:00 PM What about Spotify? The other day The Gift had more streams than both Waiting On You and Love Of My Life. 1 Quote
scielle Posted May 14, 2023 at 06:31 PM Posted May 14, 2023 at 06:31 PM Since I'm not a typical Céline fan, my opinion probably isn't very representative; I don't like pop music and I don't care about trends in the mainstream of the music industry. I follow Céline's career because I see in her a genius performer (it was enough to see her once on the stage to know it once and for all) and someone real and original within the artifices of pop culture (that's pretty much what Wilson remarks on in his book after seeing her show in Vegas) - which makes her one of the most fascinating characters in contemporary popular culture. That's why I don't care if it's “a niche” or not, as long as it's authentic and she can express herself deeply through the material she gets. I dream that she does something stripped down, acoustic that will highlight her mature voice that I love at least as much as her youthful power of yesteryear. Sounds like you and I are on exactly the same page when it comes to Celine fandom, so perhaps we're not that rare (or maybe it's just our Polish sensibilities ). Thanks for putting it so succinctly.And I do think a lot of the "Celinaissance" in the last few years was driven by precisely this kind of fan. When you look a the various thought pieces written about her in those years, the fascination seems to be much more centered around her place as a cultural phenomenon than her music per se. 1 Quote
Chantemoi Posted May 14, 2023 at 06:33 PM Posted May 14, 2023 at 06:33 PM Since I'm not a typical Céline fan, my opinion probably isn't very representative; I don't like pop music and I don't care about trends in the mainstream of the music industry. I follow Céline's career because I see in her a genius performer (it was enough to see her once on the stage to know it once and for all) and someone real and original within the artifices of pop culture (that's pretty much what Wilson remarks on in his book after seeing her show in Vegas) - which makes her one of the most fascinating characters in contemporary popular culture. That's why I don't care if it's “a niche” or not, as long as it's authentic and she can express herself deeply through the material she gets. I dream that she does something stripped down, acoustic that will highlight her mature voice that I love at least as much as her youthful power of yesteryear. Could her status as an icon allow her to free herself from all these constraints such as "sales, scores, trends" and could she free her audience from them! Personally, I’d love to see her return to her « racines québécoise » by recording a folksy pop album à la 1F4T album or in the vein of this throwback gospel-soul vibe from Waiting for You and I Will Be Stronger. Both genres would work nicely with the Céline we know and love, without feeling forced. 2 Quote
Chantemoi Posted May 14, 2023 at 06:35 PM Posted May 14, 2023 at 06:35 PM Here you go. Now anyone can record their own version with “pristine” vocals 1 Quote
smw Posted May 14, 2023 at 06:51 PM Posted May 14, 2023 at 06:51 PM Because for me, TC should totally stop playing the game that the industry is playing and focus on the game that Celine only knows how to play best. I would personally expect some original ballads with careful productions, mature lyrics, a wide range of instruments I totally agree. All Team Celine should be doing is highlighting what makes Celine Dion stand out from everybody else.... her VOICE. And choose / promote songs that showcase that. Them being true to Celine's gift/unique talents IS what makes her cool and stand out. Not trying to keep up with today's trends because that's a losing game. I actually think The Gift is a fun song and I enjoy it -- but I put it in the category of songs like Make You Happy. It's a different sound where Celine gets to have fun... but it's a fun album cut, not single material. What gets people talking, like others have said, have been songs like Play Me Like A Love Song. And Ashes was a huge success in part because it was such a classic Celine sound. It's not rocket science. I think there are still a lot of people out there who don't get how unique and special Celine is... and how she's done some pretty spectiaular things outside of powerhouse singing and dominating Vegas. From her incredible French recordings, unique career moments like the Phil Spector sessions, singing in many languages, etc. There's so much I wish the world knew about her legacy. I hope that documentary gets made and it showcases all of these things... sparking a new light on her and her accomplishments. The Honorary Doctorate from Berklee was a nice step in the right direction. I hope that's in the documentary too! 1 Quote
smw Posted May 14, 2023 at 06:57 PM Posted May 14, 2023 at 06:57 PM (edited) And I can see how others here feel like songs like The Gift are beneath Celine... considering what she's capable of / has achieved. BUT I also think we all contain multitudes... and Celine can be the kind of person who receives the Legion of Honour medal in France AND records some syrupy pop songs if she wants to. There's space for it all. And different things speak to different people. I just hope that she continues to get the respect and recognition for her acheivements that she deserves. She is such a fascinating woman/artist. Edited May 14, 2023 at 06:57 PM by smw 4 Quote
celinesounds Posted May 14, 2023 at 07:04 PM Posted May 14, 2023 at 07:04 PM (edited) , YouTube is not the same thing that used to be People prefer Spotify, you can use it for free or pay 10€ and listen unlimited music, or even TikTok We Celine’s fans we buy music, we go to YouTube and iTunes, Our age is between 35-45 We grow up in the 90s we watched her prime and golden era,But everything has changed after vegas and with vegas, She is consider the Queen of vegas, the Queen of power ballads … She may cannot compete with streaming singers like Shakira & Rihanna, She may needs some duets with younger singers like then, not with death people like they have tried after vegas, you know what I mean,I’ve discovered Barbra Streisand, because of her, now we need the opposite Her French records are still selling well, because she still sounds like Celine, and she is not trying to be someone else Edited May 14, 2023 at 07:09 PM by celinesounds 2 Quote #FREEJAVITO
Peppercorn1991 Posted May 14, 2023 at 07:39 PM Posted May 14, 2023 at 07:39 PM She may needs some duets with younger singers like then, not with death people like they have tried after vegas, you know what I mean,I’ve discovered Barbra Streisand, because of her, now we need the opposite Her French records are still selling well, because she still sounds like Celine, and she is not trying to be someone else Just look at Elton johns newest album. Case proved. Didn’t take anything away from him and the album did really well. Kev x 1 Quote
LukeD Posted May 14, 2023 at 07:45 PM Posted May 14, 2023 at 07:45 PM Her French records are still selling well, because she still sounds like Celine, and she is not trying to be someone elsePreach! 3 Quote
Peppercorn1991 Posted May 14, 2023 at 07:49 PM Posted May 14, 2023 at 07:49 PM Preach! Celine still sounded like Celine on her last French album? I loved it but her voice was reworked. Come on… don’t kid a kidder. Kev x 2 Quote
Peppercorn1991 Posted May 14, 2023 at 07:58 PM Posted May 14, 2023 at 07:58 PM I really wished Celine herself could have done some promotion for this. Kev x Quote
LukeD Posted May 14, 2023 at 08:04 PM Posted May 14, 2023 at 08:04 PM Celine still sounded like Celine on her last French album? I loved it but her voice was reworked. Come on… don't kid a kidder. Kev xNot my intention. I said she stayed true to herself. But since you are bringing up the vocals, then yes. Celine sounded like herself, except for the Zaho songs. Encore Un Soir, A La lus Haute Branche, Si C'etait A Refaire, Toutes Ces Choses, Le Bonheur En Face captured her voice at its best. 3 Quote
A new day... Posted May 14, 2023 at 08:49 PM Posted May 14, 2023 at 08:49 PM I just realized how many authors are credited for ‘The gift' and that made me smile. But I have to admit that it’s become the song I listened to the most over this weekend. I didn’t like it on the first listen though. Funny how it changed so fast. We can tell Céline had fun recording it. Also, I just wanted to say how much I love the classics in Dolby Atmos. ´That’s the way it is' sounds better than ever. 2 Quote
Peppercorn1991 Posted May 14, 2023 at 08:50 PM Posted May 14, 2023 at 08:50 PM The Gift is brilliant. The more I listen to it, it’s fantastic. Give it a chance. We are all different and appreciate everyone’s taste, but it’s actually really good. Kev x 1 Quote
MaiconSC Posted May 14, 2023 at 09:39 PM Posted May 14, 2023 at 09:39 PM I just realized how many authors are credited for 'The gift' and that made me smile. But I have to admit that it's become the song I listened to the most over this weekend. I didn't like it on the first listen though. Funny how it changed so fast. We can tell Céline had fun recording it. Also, I just wanted to say how much I love the classics in Dolby Atmos. ´That's the way it is' sounds better than ever. WDMHBN is fantastic!!! 2 Quote
MaiconSC Posted May 14, 2023 at 09:41 PM Posted May 14, 2023 at 09:41 PM Since The Gift is by the same team from Soul, I can hear some similarities in both...I even noticed she used the same vocal line in the two songs at one pont (on the background vocals)...But for me The Gift is better than Soul. 1 Quote
Nmj Posted May 14, 2023 at 10:02 PM Posted May 14, 2023 at 10:02 PM (edited) The Gift is brilliant. The more I listen to it, it’s fantastic. Give it a chance. We are all different and appreciate everyone’s taste, but it’s actually really good. Kev x I respect your opinion and taste, but “brilliant” is NOT a word I’d put anywhere near that song. It doesn’t help that the lyrics are as if a toddler wrote the song. Then she’s Celine for a spilt second, then she’s Sia and then she’s Cher…. It’s like she has multiple personalities all in a 3 minute song. I guess that kinda does make it “brilliant”. Edited May 14, 2023 at 10:02 PM by Nmj 1 Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.