Peppercorn1991 Posted June 13, 2024 at 03:19 PM Posted June 13, 2024 at 03:19 PM So it’s on the 6pm news? Kev x Quote
PuraVida Posted June 13, 2024 at 03:23 PM Posted June 13, 2024 at 03:23 PM Oh looks like the interview is the BBC's LA correspondent. One ironic thought crossed my mind. Celine saying she's been an open book since she was 12, but at the same time based on her own account, she's been "lying" for the last 17 years. Quote
marc-02 Posted June 13, 2024 at 03:24 PM Posted June 13, 2024 at 03:24 PM (edited) The thing is, she didn't really do that? She mentioned not singing some songs because of her disease - I'm sure this includes Lying Down that she dropped during CWT. She could have simply lipped it, but she decided not to sing it at all. Hits medleys and MHWGO have been lipped for ages, this is not because of SPS. She has some pre-recorded tracks post-Germany show (i.e. parts of FOMO from Hyde, WDMHBN from Vegas etc.). Of course, technically this is not because of "SPS" because she hasn't been diagnosed yet, but who knows if she decided to do these pre-recorded versions of her rather more "difficult songs" due to fears stemming from her fluctuating/inconsistent vocal health as a result of the "spasms." Edited June 13, 2024 at 03:30 PM by marc-02 Quote
Abodi2002 Posted June 13, 2024 at 03:28 PM Posted June 13, 2024 at 03:28 PM The thing is, she didn't really do that? She mentioned not singing some songs because of her disease - I'm sure this includes Lying Down that she dropped during CWT. She could have simply lipped it, but she decided not to sing it at all. Hits medleys and MHWGO have been lipped for ages, this is not because of SPS. Ziggy was an example of a song that was lowered, LEE as well. As for lipping she’s done it in actual concerts since 1992. She’d get a lot of hate if she admitted to doing it in almost every concert. News outlets would have a field day. 1 Quote
PuraVida Posted June 13, 2024 at 03:33 PM Posted June 13, 2024 at 03:33 PM I always figured she was lowering the key because of her heavy performance schedule and because of age. Now I'm wondering what kind of songs, keys, and vocals we'd have gotten if she never had SPS...because what we got was already very mindblowing. 1 Quote
Shamrock_1982 Posted June 13, 2024 at 03:34 PM Posted June 13, 2024 at 03:34 PM You mean the Olympic broadcaster? I know I'm fanning the flame... especially given these recent interviews make it very clear this is an extremely dire condition. Need to be cautious about any hopes here but oh, let a girl dream a little... I dunno who she is… we don’t watch the BBC in my house unless it’s Eastenders Quote
scielle Posted June 13, 2024 at 03:38 PM Posted June 13, 2024 at 03:38 PM I dunno who she is… we don’t watch the BBC in my house unless it’s Eastenders I mean the BBC broadcasts the Olympics in the UK, no? Quote
Peppercorn1991 Posted June 13, 2024 at 03:40 PM Posted June 13, 2024 at 03:40 PM I mean the BBC broadcasts the Olympics in the UK, no? Yes - always Kev x Quote
tshlw Posted June 13, 2024 at 03:41 PM Posted June 13, 2024 at 03:41 PM I mean the BBC broadcasts the Olympics in the UK, no?Found this online so yes they are The Paris Olympics will be shown live on BBC television and the BBC Sport website and app, and there will also be extensive coverage on BBC Radio 5 Live Quote 'I am, in life and death, the woman of only one man.' Celine Dion My Story, My Dream
marc-02 Posted June 13, 2024 at 03:41 PM Posted June 13, 2024 at 03:41 PM Ziggy was an example of a song that was lowered, LEE as well. As for lipping she's done it in actual concerts since 1992. She'd get a lot of hate if she admitted to doing it in almost every concert. News outlets would have a field day. Exactly, and besides, she's also been lowering keys and sounding nasal even waaaay before the Germany show. And the fact that she still acknowledges these as some of the ways to compensate, then she should also accept the fact that singing to pre-recorded tracks even pre-Germany show is still directly or indirectly related to how she felt her voice was failing her at times. But then again, as I said, I doubt she will ever admit to lipping. Quote
jpatdeleon09 Posted June 13, 2024 at 03:49 PM Posted June 13, 2024 at 03:49 PM I doubt a singer will ever admit they’re lipping lol Quote
stevo Posted June 13, 2024 at 03:51 PM Posted June 13, 2024 at 03:51 PM So it’s on the 6pm news? Kev x It’s going to be on BBC iPlayer Kev, not BBC1 or anything (or so I believe) 1 Quote
Peppercorn1991 Posted June 13, 2024 at 03:55 PM Posted June 13, 2024 at 03:55 PM It’s going to be on BBC iPlayer Kev, not BBC1 or anything (or so I believe) Thank you!! Kev x Quote
dawn Posted June 13, 2024 at 03:57 PM Posted June 13, 2024 at 03:57 PM It's going to be on BBC iPlayer Kev, not BBC1 or anything (or so I believe) Emma Vardy wrote on X: "Exclusive iv on #BBCNews & @BBCiPlayer later" Quote
MaiconSC Posted June 13, 2024 at 03:58 PM Posted June 13, 2024 at 03:58 PM (edited) But you know what, what I've been thinking. Throughout these interviews, when talking about how she "compensated", pretty much the common line revolved around these central themes: 1) deliberately "tunneling" her voice in a way that it results in sounding nasal, 2) lowering the key of her songs and/or relying on more reverb. But will she ever admit to lipping and using playback/pre-recorded vocals? I doubt she will ever say that, I'm sure the media will have a field day if she does! I doubt a singer will ever admit they're lipping lol she already talked about doing lipsynch back in the day for a TV reporter once.... why does she need to talk about it again? Edited June 13, 2024 at 04:01 PM by MaiconSC Quote
comingback Posted June 13, 2024 at 04:00 PM Posted June 13, 2024 at 04:00 PM She talked about lipping in an interview at the Billboard Awards 2013. Does anyone know, if there will be an interview for German TV? Quote
MaiconSC Posted June 13, 2024 at 04:01 PM Posted June 13, 2024 at 04:01 PM Did the BBC interview air yet? Or is it on iPlayer yet? Quote
PuraVida Posted June 13, 2024 at 04:01 PM Posted June 13, 2024 at 04:01 PM I think I was less blown away by the interview as many people. It didn't jump out to me as the greatest interview she's ever done, but this was certainly Celine being incredibly raw and real. I think they're (rightly) saving a lot for the documentary. p.s. Where are the questions about The Grammys? Quote
scielle Posted June 13, 2024 at 04:04 PM Posted June 13, 2024 at 04:04 PM p.s. Where are the questions about The Grammys? She spoke about it, particularly RC's presence & support, in one of the People articles. Quote
Abodi2002 Posted June 13, 2024 at 04:07 PM Posted June 13, 2024 at 04:07 PM Exactly, and besides, she's also been lowering keys and sounding nasal even waaaay before the Germany show. And the fact that she still acknowledges these as some of the ways to compensate, then she should also accept the fact that singing to pre-recorded tracks even pre-Germany show is still directly or indirectly related to how she felt her voice was failing her at times. But then again, as I said, I doubt she will ever admit to lipping. if you want 90’s Celine nasal just listen to Brunei 1997 or Providence 1999. Still not on the same level as what we can hear in mid2008 and after. Now I feel like an a**hole for thinking her recent pronunciation was just lazy on her part. 1 Quote
dawn Posted June 13, 2024 at 04:21 PM Posted June 13, 2024 at 04:21 PM Did the BBC interview air yet? Or is it on iPlayer yet? MaiconSC, she's asking for the BBC interview (UK). It will be release soon. Quote
CelinesDIVO5 Posted June 13, 2024 at 04:23 PM Posted June 13, 2024 at 04:23 PM Exactly, and besides, she's also been lowering keys and sounding nasal even waaaay before the Germany show. And the fact that she still acknowledges these as some of the ways to compensate, then she should also accept the fact that singing to pre-recorded tracks even pre-Germany show is still directly or indirectly related to how she felt her voice was failing her at times. But then again, as I said, I doubt she will ever admit to lipping. She has been lipping for decades. Initially for voice preservation. In the 90s, it had nothing to do with SPS. 3 Quote https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL54qnRGM2gMatthew Charles - "Fix You" - Live at The Stonewall InnStonewall Sensation - Season 15Originally written and performed by Coldplay
marc-02 Posted June 13, 2024 at 04:25 PM Posted June 13, 2024 at 04:25 PM she already talked about doing lipsynch back in the day for a TV reporter once.... why does she need to talk about it again? Yes of course we all know about this interview. She actually gave a "safe" answer here, not directly addressing whether she herself lips but rather gave somewhat a general answer. And of course, she can talk about it now, even more! Because the context has completely changed, now in the context of her illness. Quote
PuraVida Posted June 13, 2024 at 04:29 PM Posted June 13, 2024 at 04:29 PM if you want 90's Celine nasal just listen to Brunei 1997 or Providence 1999. Still not on the same level as what we can hear in mid2008 and after. Now I feel like an a**hole for thinking her recent pronunciation was just lazy on her part. For me maybe the worst times of her career in terms of nasality was the early part of the "A New Day" first residency... maybe at some point I'll go back and compare the different phases of TCWT, but tbh that whole tour is cemented in my mind as so iconic. We got so many great vocals. But I can't help but thinking that her bedroom voice, for example, was not related to her SPS, just a choice she made that was very unpleasant (to my ears). Quote
marc-02 Posted June 13, 2024 at 04:33 PM Posted June 13, 2024 at 04:33 PM (edited) She has been lipping for decades. Initially for voice preservation. In the 90s, it had nothing to do with SPS. And the same can be said about her lowering keys, she's been also doing it for ages and - like for lipping - for voice preservation I'm sure. But she herself has been acknowleding that lowering keys - though she didnt start doing it only as a result of the spasms - was a way to compensate for what she's been feeling since 2008. I think the right term here is she CONTINUED doing these (lowering keys, lipping) in response to the spasms/failing vocal health, and no longer ONLY to preserve her voice. Yes in the 90s shes been doing this purely for vocal preservation, but post 2008 she decided to KEEP doing them both in the context of preserving her voice AND to compensate for her then mysterious condition. Edited June 13, 2024 at 04:40 PM by marc-02 1 Quote
marc-02 Posted June 13, 2024 at 04:43 PM Posted June 13, 2024 at 04:43 PM (edited) For me maybe the worst times of her career in terms of nasality was the early part of the "A New Day" first residency... maybe at some point I'll go back and compare the different phases of TCWT, but tbh that whole tour is cemented in my mind as so iconic. We got so many great vocals. But I can't help but thinking that her bedroom voice, for example, was not related to her SPS, just a choice she made that was very unpleasant (to my ears). I agree with the early part of the first residency giving her the worst nasal sound. And a bigger shame that that was even put on record to be part of history forever via the AND live album. Just thinking about the first few lines of BYLM from the live album ("For all"), that was sooooo nasal. Edited June 13, 2024 at 04:47 PM by marc-02 Quote
Ukrfan Posted June 13, 2024 at 04:49 PM Posted June 13, 2024 at 04:49 PM This is CBS, not BBC 🥲 Quote
scielle Posted June 13, 2024 at 04:52 PM Posted June 13, 2024 at 04:52 PM (edited) This is CBS, not BBC ��CBC - Canadian Broadcasting CorporationBBC - British Broadcasting CorporationCBS - Columbia Broadcasting System (US, one of the main networks alongside NBC and ABC) I know, it's all coming fast and furious. Hard to keep up! And for what it's worth, all 3 with the exclusives (NBC, CBC, BBC) are the Olympic broadcasters in their respective countries. Just sayin'... Edited June 13, 2024 at 04:53 PM by scielle 2 Quote
Peppercorn1991 Posted June 13, 2024 at 05:03 PM Posted June 13, 2024 at 05:03 PM They just showed Celine on the BBC news, interview may be coming up soon. Kev x Quote
Nmj Posted June 13, 2024 at 05:04 PM Posted June 13, 2024 at 05:04 PM CBC - Canadian Broadcasting CorporationBBC - British Broadcasting CorporationCBS - Columbia Broadcasting System (US, one of the main networks alongside NBC and ABC) I know, it's all coming fast and furious. Hard to keep up! And for what it's worth, all 3 with the exclusives (NBC, CBC, BBC) are the Olympic broadcasters in their respective countries. Just sayin'... Also wise For those networks to try to get the exclusive… In case there’s any footage from said interviews in any form of clip or something to use in addition to a performance at the Olympics they wouldn’t have to pay for the rights. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.