Jump to content

Céline part of Grammy's Tribute to Aretha Franklin singing A Change Is Gonna Come


Recommended Posts

Posted
However, I like the song choice! I’m glad she did something different tbh.
  • Like 1
Posted (edited)

I’m thrilled by the song choice too!

 

Completely unexpected!

 

The song choice and how she sounds is all that matters to me.

Edited by smw
  • Like 4
Posted

I’m thrilled by the song choice too!

 

Completely unexpected!

 

The song choice and how she sounds is all that matters to me.

 

Now that would be a great replacement to “Purple Rain” in Vegas.

Posted (edited)

Song choice also made me think of these two passages in the Carl Wilson book (and btw, if you still haven't read it - you must!)

Very appropriate for Celine to sing this, I think.

 

"Unilingual French speakers were shut out of better jobs, and if French education weren’t protected by the constitution, the language might have faded from use as it did in Louisiana and in most other French pockets of Canada. But the 1960s brought the “Quiet Revolution,” a series of upheavals to throw off church moralism and English hegemony. There was even the Front de Libération du Québec (FLQ), who committed bombings and ultimately a political assassination that drove Canada’s grooviest-ever prime minister, Pierre Trudeau, quite ungroovily to declare quasi-martial law when Céline was a toddler. FLQ leader Pierre Vallières had written a Franz Fanon–style manifesto titled Nègres Blancs d’Amérique—“White Niggers of America.” While the population overwhelmingly rejected the FLQ’s violent self-appointment as Quebec’s Black Panthers, many felt Vallières’s analogy was only a mild exaggeration.

The legacy of that era is a nationalist consensus that vacillates between cosmopolitan social democracy and a harder insularity. It led to two failed referenda on separation from Canada in 1980 and 1995. (The separatist party is in government as I write.) But one reason it’s never again leaned toward violence is that the revolution wasn’t really quiet: it was secured by an outspoken cultural wing, with music leading the way".

 

“Let them touch those things” instantly joined the annals of unhinged celebrity utterance; the hymn was consigned to plastic showbiz sanctimony. But every second was quintessentially québécois: the pro-American but anti-Washington stance, the class consciousness (what other white pop star would not only excuse but advocate poor blacks ransacking retail stores?) and the intense identification with New Orleans, which Quebec sees as both a cautionary tale of language loss and a distant-cousin outpost of joie de vivre in stiff-necked North America. She shrugged off the million bucks as the least a happy entrepreneur could do, and sang when called upon like the dutiful national daughter ever ready to put her gifts into service.

Because most viewers couldn’t see the link between the nègres blancs of Quebec and the creole blacks of New Orleans, Céline’s state seemed out of all proportion. But in that light it was as culturally sound as rapper Kanye West’s televised outburst the next week that “George Bush doesn’t care about black people.”

Edited by scielle
  • Like 1
Posted

Do we know if Celine only did one song? I’m wondering if Kelly, Celine and Alicia could have done that song as a duet at the end. That would be amazing! :wub:

 

one song :(

And definitely a fantastic song choice.

 

closer clip of Celine

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bsmh6u3liGi/

seems there was a group song but I can't tell who the people singing are.

Posted
Celine sounded grate and I loved her outfit too!! :w00t: I hope we get pics of more video footage in the days to come. Does anyone know the full list of performers? I hope we get backstage pics of Celine, with all or some of the other singers.

highfive.jpg

Posted

https://youtu.be/VCnIjQftq8s

 

 

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

  • Like 4

Please subscribe https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbdjLvrbSNwxQoeRsvZ5OWg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-0eWCf-j12uY/T-YMP5bDkpI/AAAAAAAACRg/rEnk4uy6aso/s400/Celine+Dion+-+Signature+Commercial+Behind+The+Scenes+(23612)+%5BHD%5D.mp4_snapshot_00.07_%5B2012.06.22_00.43.13%5D.jpg

Posted
Part of me is greedy, but I hope Celine also did a group duet? I would love a group duet of RESPECT. I know I'm asking too much already, but it would be a huge cherry on top to have a whole new look, with her hair down and a 2nd outfit change. Fingers crossed that the is more to come tomorrow! If not, than I hope we get lots of videos and pictures. :-D

highfive.jpg

Posted

She didn’t sing natural woman

https://instagram.com/stories/jetlagged_jon?utm_source=ig_story_share&igshid=12hm2vewca1fe

 

 

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

Please subscribe https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbdjLvrbSNwxQoeRsvZ5OWg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-0eWCf-j12uY/T-YMP5bDkpI/AAAAAAAACRg/rEnk4uy6aso/s400/Celine+Dion+-+Signature+Commercial+Behind+The+Scenes+(23612)+%5BHD%5D.mp4_snapshot_00.07_%5B2012.06.22_00.43.13%5D.jpg

Posted (edited)
She only did one song the concert was about 3 hours according to @douglaspeck on Instagram who was working at the concert he said Celine performed a hour into the show and there was no speech just singing and she was emotional. But he said after the song she said goodnight Aretha and goodnight to my love Rene thank you all. And he said Celine left and someone said she was flying back to vegas. I saw Jennifer hudson left right after as well on her instagram live video she posted a few hours ago. The show was 3 hours but it will be shortened to only 2 when it airs on tv Edited by Tricey3115
  • Like 1
Posted (edited)
Yeah I followed the various postings from start to end and they're definitely going to have to cut quite a bit of it out. I doubt the TV slot will allow for all that, especially with commercials. (Mind you, they probably had some long breaks between act changeovers. But still.) Edited by scielle
Posted
As long as they don't cut Celine's part, than all's good. :thumbsup2:

highfive.jpg

Posted (edited)

Another clip - https://www.instagra.../p/Bsmob-vHRhs/

"Céline Dion brought the crowd to their feet twice and blew the roof off the Shrine Auditorium for her tribute performance of Aretha Franklin’s “A Change is Gonna Come” at ARETHA! A Grammy Celebration for the Queen of Soul."

 

She even did the Celine Salute :)

All is right in the world.

Edited by scielle
  • Like 6
Posted (edited)

how are they going to cut out 1 full hour of the show? Pretty sure these made for TV concerts are made to fit a specific schedule to prevent cutting.

 

Not surprised she'd fly right back.

And no offense but I don't think Celine would mention Rene during a tribute to another artist. That'd be making things about herself imo, and she wouldn't do that.

We already had Madonna's speech during her "tribute" to Aretha revolve around her, I wouldn't want Celine to make the same mistake.

 

Another clip - https://www.instagra.../p/Bsmob-vHRhs/

"Céline Dion brought the crowd to their feet twice and blew the roof off the Shrine Auditorium for her tribute performance of Aretha Franklin’s “A Change is Gonna Come” at ARETHA! A Grammy Celebration for the Queen of Soul."

 

She even did the Celine Salute :)

All is right in the world.

 

she was feeling it, chest pound and everything.

Edited by maki_Dion-er
  • Like 1
Posted

I loved the outfit, the hair, the song.. everything ❤️

I think celine’s voice is changing a bit raspy no?

 

 

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

  • Like 2

Please subscribe https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbdjLvrbSNwxQoeRsvZ5OWg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-0eWCf-j12uY/T-YMP5bDkpI/AAAAAAAACRg/rEnk4uy6aso/s400/Celine+Dion+-+Signature+Commercial+Behind+The+Scenes+(23612)+%5BHD%5D.mp4_snapshot_00.07_%5B2012.06.22_00.43.13%5D.jpg

Posted (edited)

Javascript is not enabled OR refresh the page to view

Click here to view the Tweet

 

And more clips in this IG story, including one that's pretty good quality of the screen.

https://www.instagra...tories/mr_asay/

 

Also - she was doing interviews, it seems (IG story): https://www.instagra.../jjosephthomas/

Edited by scielle
  • Like 1
Posted

Very interesting song choice!! :wub2: Céline can deffo slay this song! I'm sure A change is gonna come speaks so much to her since Renés passing. :cry: "I asked my brother" made me think of Michel instantly! :blushing1:

 

I'm very happy we didn't get NW :P she looks amazing too :wub2:

 

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

  • Like 1


Rick, ik hou van jou voor altijd!



A New Day... has come 28/29 April & 2/3 May 07



Antwerpen 13 et 14 mai,Paris 24 et 25 mai, Amsterdam 2 juinet Arras 7 juillet Chances Taken!!!



How Do You Keep The Music Playing? - Celine Opening Night March 15th, March 16th

Posted (edited)

I know we had another tweet mention the standing ovation but apparently, she was the only one to receive two.

 

Javascript is not enabled OR refresh the page to view

Click here to view the Tweet
Edited by maki_Dion-er
  • Like 4
Posted

A Change Is Gonna Come

Sam Cooke

I was born by the river in a little tent

Oh and just like the river I've been running ev'r since

It's been a long time, a long time coming

But I know a change gonna come, oh yes it will

 

It's been too hard living, but I'm afraid to die

'Cause I don't know what's up there, beyond the sky

It's been a long, a long time coming

But I know a change gonna come, oh yes it will

 

I go to the movie and I go downtown

Somebody keep tellin' me don't hang around

It's been a long, a long time coming

But I know a change gonna come, oh yes it will

 

Then I go to my brother

And I say brother help me please

But he winds up knockin' me

Back down on my knees, oh

 

There have been times that I thought I couldn't last for long

But now I think I'm able to carry on

It's been a long, a long time coming

But I know a change is gonna come, oh yes it will

  • Like 3
Posted

No full video? :)

 

I hope when the pro shot will sound amazing as well.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...