scielle Posted November 28, 2018 at 01:08 AM Posted November 28, 2018 at 01:08 AM (edited) I wish Celine would do exactly the same thing when her new album comes out How great is that?! It's interactive, spontaneous and unscripted. We get to see the real artist and get to hear the real stories. I love that. Look at Mariahs promotion for caution. It's absolutely stunning! It adresses young people and is fresh and fun! I want promo like that for Celines next album, not stupid 2 minutes interviews on regular shows. I want her to do a show just like this with a real hardcore FAN asking her all these interesting questions about her demos, unreleased songs, phil spector and all that! It would be heaven for every fan! And we could start something like #justice for glitter eg. #justice for one heart!! See here: http://www.celinedio...e/#entry2246029 The first ever Genius Level event was with The Dream, who spoke about how much he'd like to do a collab album with Celine (~32:20min into this) https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1937&v=hJLi834u03Q This is like all those shows that use to be on MuchMusic (in Canada, and I assume MTV in the US) back when those channels actually aired music content. Miss those kinds of shows. There have been a few since - like Elvis Costello's Spectacle, produced by Elton John. Talking to artists and songwriters about the craft of songwriting. Edited November 28, 2018 at 01:14 AM by scielle 3
maki_Dion-er Posted November 28, 2018 at 01:24 AM Posted November 28, 2018 at 01:24 AM (edited) Same energy. Who did it first though? Celinehttps://www.instagra.../p/Bqs_uUDHT5l/ Or https://youtu.be/PWgvGjAhvIw I had never seen that video of Celine. Edited November 28, 2018 at 01:25 AM by maki_Dion-er 2
scielle Posted November 28, 2018 at 02:34 AM Posted November 28, 2018 at 02:34 AM http://www.celinedionforum.com/topic/53730-new-english-album-2019/page__st__9120#entry2316008 Is that really all it takes these days for a top 5 record in the US? 43k units?!I mean, Ginette Reno just sold 40k of her new album and that's a much smaller market. I guess the Quebecois still really buy CDs, eh?
nowanorris Posted November 28, 2018 at 05:01 AM Posted November 28, 2018 at 05:01 AM Same energy. Who did it first though? Celinehttps://www.instagra.../p/Bqs_uUDHT5l/ Or https://youtu.be/PWgvGjAhvIw I had never seen that video of Celine. Oh wow I had forgotten all about this video!!!!! I remember watching it on TV when it originally aired. I am absolutely terrible with dates though and couldn't tell you what year that was. I do remember wanting to purchase one of those CELINE sweaters afterwards though. haha She's so absolutely adorable! :wub: :wub: 1
Javito Posted November 28, 2018 at 10:09 AM Posted November 28, 2018 at 10:09 AM (edited) I wish Celine would do exactly the same thing when her new album comes out https://youtu.be/rdMQ31DlTjg How great is that?! It's interactive, spontaneous and unscripted. We get to see the real artist and get to hear the real stories. I love that. Look at Mariahs promotion for caution. It's absolutely stunning! It adresses young people and is fresh and fun! I want promo like that for Celines next album, not stupid 2 minutes interviews on regular shows. I want her to do a show just like this with a real hardcore FAN asking her all these interesting questions about her demos, unreleased songs, phil spector and all that! It would be heaven for every fan! And we could start something like #justice for glitter eg. #justice for one heart!! But there's a slight difference here. As much as I'd love Céline do the same, we have to keep in mind that Mariah could fill up a 1 hour show like this talking about her songwriting skills and process because she writes and produces her own songs. SHE is the main source of this info and she is the horse's mouth to talk about the songs first and foremost. Céline could not talk even for 1 minute about these questions and would start rambling about other topics Something filmed inside the recording studio, like the TC sessions, LMBTL with the other songwriters and producers, or what we saw during the EUS sessions would be nice and enough to me, but someone would need to tell Celine to make an effort to talk about the songs and why she picked each of them and not deviate and start rambling off topic lol She can do this, I'm sure she could nicely agree to do something like this and ellaborate on each song, but the problem is that I think 1) she doesn't give this the importance it has and 2) nobody has approached her to do so because she is just a performer, nor the songwriter/producer of the songs Edited November 28, 2018 at 10:12 AM by Javito 5 "Hush, now... I see a light in the sky"
ryba Posted November 28, 2018 at 10:46 AM Posted November 28, 2018 at 10:46 AM (edited) But there's a slight difference here. As much as I'd love Céline do the same, we have to keep in mind that Mariah could fill up a 1 hour show like this talking about her songwriting skills and process because she writes and produces her own songs. SHE is the main source of this info and she is the horse's mouth to talk about the songs first and foremost. Céline could not talk even for 1 minute about these questions and would start rambling about other topics Something filmed inside the recording studio, like the TC sessions, LMBTL with the other songwriters and producers, or what we saw during the EUS sessions would be nice and enough to me, but someone would need to tell Celine to make an effort to talk about the songs and why she picked each of them and not deviate and start rambling off topic lol She can do this, I'm sure she could nicely agree to do something like this and ellaborate on each song, but the problem is that I think 1) she doesn't give this the importance it has and 2) nobody has approached her to do so because she is just a performer, nor the songwriter/producer of the songs yeah, I agree. In case of Celine I would ask her more about the recording process, the way she prepares herself, her best and worst experiences in the studio, her favorite songs to record, her most difficult songs to record, how a typical recording process of an album looks like, how long it takes, her routines as a performer, unreleased material, making music videos etc. Real hardcore fan questions. The things we all wanted to know. Reasons why certain songs were not released etc. Not the standard bs she always talks about Edited November 28, 2018 at 10:49 AM by ryba 5
celinesounds Posted November 28, 2018 at 03:13 PM Posted November 28, 2018 at 03:13 PM But there's a slight difference here. As much as I'd love Céline do the same, we have to keep in mind that Mariah could fill up a 1 hour show like this talking about her songwriting skills and process because she writes and produces her own songs. SHE is the main source of this info and she is the horse's mouth to talk about the songs first and foremost. Céline could not talk even for 1 minute about these questions and would start rambling about other topics Something filmed inside the recording studio, like the TC sessions, LMBTL with the other songwriters and producers, or what we saw during the EUS sessions would be nice and enough to me, but someone would need to tell Celine to make an effort to talk about the songs and why she picked each of them and not deviate and start rambling off topic lol She can do this, I'm sure she could nicely agree to do something like this and ellaborate on each song, but the problem is that I think 1) she doesn't give this the importance it has and 2) nobody has approached her to do so because she is just a performer, nor the songwriter/producer of the songs Because Celine is not a song-writer, Celine is just the biggest vocalist in Pop Culture We know that she can write songs, she has done that, but she is comfortable of others doing her songs, she doesn't need to prove nothing, her voice does all the justice 1 #FREEJAVITO
scielle Posted November 28, 2018 at 03:15 PM Posted November 28, 2018 at 03:15 PM Question: I know we've seen the odd picture and Moonlight Sonata video, but how good of a piano player is Celine, really? (MS isn't that complicated of a piece but it seems she was playing it by ear, which is how I suspect most Dion children learned to play.)I know at one point Rene said she's an excellent piano player but let's face it, the man was biased 😉So I gather her piano playing (and guitar, too?) are pretty basic, no? 1
Jeanette Posted November 28, 2018 at 09:00 PM Posted November 28, 2018 at 09:00 PM I see Pepe is back in Vegas according to his Instagram, I wonder why? He’s normally only there now when a run of shows is happening. 1
maki_Dion-er Posted November 28, 2018 at 09:02 PM Posted November 28, 2018 at 09:02 PM (edited) Question: I know we've seen the odd picture and Moonlight Sonata video, but how good of a piano player is Celine, really?(MS isn't that complicated of a piece but it seems she was playing it by ear, which is how I suspect most Dion children learned to play.)I know at one point Rene said she's an excellent piano player but let's face it, the man was biased ��So I gather her piano playing (and guitar, too?) are pretty basic, no? is there a recent video of her playing the piano? I can only think of a picture from around 2016 where she's in an all denim outfit.Judging from that video clip you mention she seemed to be a beginner/intermediate player. That clip is from like 20 some years ago, I would love to see how well she plays now. Edited November 28, 2018 at 09:03 PM by maki_Dion-er
nuts2you Posted November 28, 2018 at 11:13 PM Posted November 28, 2018 at 11:13 PM Wouldn't this release deserve a deluxe treatment for it's 25th? All the albums of our queen Céline Dion deserve a super deluxe treatment! With the 4 tracks excluded at the time?So we have less than a year to make this release ... Ne serait-il pas merveilleux que ce speactcle mythique nous soit offert dans son intégralité pour le 25ème anniversaire en novembre 2019? Avec 4 chansons en prime!Il nous reste moins d'un an pour agir
nuts2you Posted November 28, 2018 at 11:14 PM Posted November 28, 2018 at 11:14 PM CÉLINE DIONLive à l’Olympia [25th Anniversary](3 x LP; Limited Super Deluxe Edition on Blue, Red & White vinyl)Including 4 previously unreleased performancesDisc 1Side ADes mots qui sonnentWhere does my heart beat nowL’amour existe encoreSide BJe danse dans ma têteBeauty and the BeastMisledDisc 2Side ACalling youElleOxygèneSide BStarmania ; MedleyLe blues du businessmanDisc 3Side ARiver deep, mountain highLove can move mountainsUn garçon pas comme les autres (Ziggy)Side BThe power of loveQuand on a que l’amour 1
nuts2you Posted November 28, 2018 at 11:14 PM Posted November 28, 2018 at 11:14 PM Side BThe power of loveQuand on a que l’amourLe fils de Superman See More 1
scielle Posted November 29, 2018 at 12:28 AM Posted November 29, 2018 at 12:28 AM is there a recent video of her playing the piano? I can only think of a picture from around 2016 where she's in an all denim outfit.Judging from that video clip you mention she seemed to be a beginner/intermediate player. That clip is from like 20 some years ago, I would love to see how well she plays now. I think that 2016 denim pic may have been her just posing, rather than actually playing.There's that clip circa S'il suffusait d'aimer era, and I think there may have been one in the late '80s, too. I'm not aware of anything recent.She doesn't actually read sheet music, right?
nuts2you Posted November 29, 2018 at 12:41 AM Posted November 29, 2018 at 12:41 AM what ever happen to Condor Video's I sure do miss them around here, and what ever happen to him , has anybody heard from him lately? 1
maki_Dion-er Posted November 29, 2018 at 01:48 AM Posted November 29, 2018 at 01:48 AM I think that 2016 denim pic may have been her just posing, rather than actually playing.There's that clip circa S'il suffusait d'aimer era, and I think there may have been one in the late '80s, too. I'm not aware of anything recent.She doesn't actually read sheet music, right? I remember a video from like the late 80's where she says she likes playing piano and shows an instruction book that she uses. So she must know how to read sheet music, even if just a little. I get the feeling she has mostly taught herself.
ryba Posted November 29, 2018 at 01:22 PM Posted November 29, 2018 at 01:22 PM After watching that extensive interview with Mariah, I wonder if Celine owns the rights to the songs she sings — and in this way makes money each time she sells an album — or if the rights belong to the songwriters and producers, and she only earns a small protion
incognito Posted November 29, 2018 at 01:32 PM Posted November 29, 2018 at 01:32 PM After watching that extensive interview with Mariah, I wonder if Celine owns the rights to the songs she sings — and in this way makes money each time she sells an album — or if the rights belong to the songwriters and producers, and she only earns a small protion Wasn’t there a small controversy in the late 90s because Rene and Celine asked that writers sign away some or all rights to the songs she recorded? I don’t remember the complete story as it was 20 years ago and I’m middle aged now. 3
Taking Chances Posted November 29, 2018 at 03:01 PM Posted November 29, 2018 at 03:01 PM After watching that extensive interview with Mariah, I wonder if Celine owns the rights to the songs she sings — and in this way makes money each time she sells an album — or if the rights belong to the songwriters and producers, and she only earns a small protion Which interview with Mariah? I need to know more. Wasn't there a small controversy in the late 90s because Rene and Celine asked that writers sign away some or all rights to the songs she recorded? I don't remember the complete story as it was 20 years ago and I'm middle aged now. Really? I've never heard about this.
ryba Posted November 29, 2018 at 03:47 PM Posted November 29, 2018 at 03:47 PM (edited) Which interview with Mariah? I need to know more. Really? I've never heard about this. this one. She stated that she owns the rights to her catalogue, which is why she still makes money each time people buy her songs (even the old ones) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdMQ31DlTjg Edited November 29, 2018 at 03:50 PM by ryba 2
ryba Posted November 29, 2018 at 03:50 PM Posted November 29, 2018 at 03:50 PM (edited) Wasn't there a small controversy in the late 90s because Rene and Celine asked that writers sign away some or all rights to the songs she recorded? I don't remember the complete story as it was 20 years ago and I'm middle aged now.that's right. They asked Carole King to give up the rights for "The Reason" and she refused (and hence some people believe that this is the reason why the 1997 English album, which was initially supposed to be titled "The Reason" was renamed to "Let's talk about love") Someone on this forum even once posted a link to a google book of a writer who talks about this story (wasn't it Jim Steinman?) Does anyone remember? Could this be the reason why Celine doesn't care to release new music anymore? Because its not profitable cause she since own the rights and only gets a very small protion? And that's why she prefers to tour? Edited November 29, 2018 at 03:52 PM by ryba
scielle Posted November 29, 2018 at 03:58 PM Posted November 29, 2018 at 03:58 PM Could this be the reason why Celine doesn't care to release new music anymore? Because its not profitable cause she since own the rights and only gets a very small protion? And that's why she prefers to tour? Yes, royalties accrue to the owner of the copyright (and recent regulations have swung further in favor of the songwriters). Good on Carole for retaining her rights. If that's why LTAL is called what it is though - too bad. The Reason would have been a much better title.
Dancing_Queen Posted November 29, 2018 at 06:11 PM Posted November 29, 2018 at 06:11 PM I don't think they asked her to sign away the rights? I thought they simply negotiated a bigger than usual percentage for Céline? So many big singers put their name on songs they didn't write, so René's approach seems fairer. The current situation doesn't seem in proportion. E.g. If I write a song that somehow ends up on a Rihanna album, it's not me selling those albums, it's Rihanna. So it's only fair that she gets a sizeable share of 'my' royalties.The current system works against (good) singers who don't write. And that's you end up in an era where Adele is considered the best singer....😩 1
Peppercorn1991 Posted November 29, 2018 at 07:10 PM Posted November 29, 2018 at 07:10 PM I don't think they asked her to sign away the rights? I thought they simply negotiated a bigger than usual percentage for Céline? So many big singers put their name on songs they didn't write, so René's approach seems fairer. The current situation doesn't seem in proportion. E.g. If I write a song that somehow ends up on a Rihanna album, it's not me selling those albums, it's Rihanna. So it's only fair that she gets a sizeable share of 'my' royalties.The current system works against (good) singers who don't write. And that's you end up in an era where Adele is considered the best singer....😩 How Adele is so popular I do not know.... I like her but she is very overrated. Kev x 2
maki_Dion-er Posted November 29, 2018 at 08:14 PM Posted November 29, 2018 at 08:14 PM (edited) I don't understand this deal with songwriters keeping rights to songs they are not singing. I don't know much about the music industry but in television/film production, companies pay for the rights to use certain characters/stories (especially for franchises), the original owners get a portion but once sold it's out of their hands. If Celine (or any singer) is singing a song, making it sell, and making it famous, she should own (at least a good portion of) the rights to that song. Edited November 29, 2018 at 08:16 PM by maki_Dion-er
Critiaslux Posted November 29, 2018 at 08:25 PM Posted November 29, 2018 at 08:25 PM (edited) that's right. They asked Carole King to give up the rights for "The Reason" and she refused (and hence some people believe that this is the reason why the 1997 English album, which was initially supposed to be titled "The Reason" was renamed to "Let's talk about love") Someone on this forum even once posted a link to a google book of a writer who talks about this story (wasn't it Jim Steinman?) Does anyone remember? Could this be the reason why Celine doesn't care to release new music anymore? Because its not profitable cause she since own the rights and only gets a very small protion? And that's why she prefers to tour? After the success of Falling Into You, it was told that René asked for songwriters to not waive their rights but to give back a part (If I recall correctly it was 20%) of of those rights to Céline for the songs that would recorded on the next album (Let's talk about love) that was highly expected to be successful (and that was). Good for Céline and René this happened right in time for her most successful song Edited November 29, 2018 at 08:26 PM by Critiaslux
maki_Dion-er Posted November 30, 2018 at 09:03 AM Posted November 30, 2018 at 09:03 AM (edited) Imagine Celine answering her fans like this lol "where's the album??""b***h I'm working on it" Javascript is not enabled OR refresh the page to viewClick here to view the Tweet Edited November 30, 2018 at 09:04 AM by maki_Dion-er 1
Nmj Posted November 30, 2018 at 05:36 PM Posted November 30, 2018 at 05:36 PM Out of all the big English hit songs... does anyone have a guess which one is Celine’s favorite to perform live? I know she said she gets sick of them all but she must have a favorite between them!
celinesounds Posted November 30, 2018 at 06:31 PM Posted November 30, 2018 at 06:31 PM After watching that extensive interview with Mariah, I wonder if Celine owns the rights to the songs she sings — and in this way makes money each time she sells an album — or if the rights belong to the songwriters and producers, and she only earns a small protion music business is so complicated from 100% a small part goes for the writers and composer and 50% goes to publisher companies recently i wrote lyrics for a project and there is a name next to me from people i don't know, and didn't write nothing same thing happen for a lot o songwriters, and Celine's publisher company takes a slide too, like other publisher companies do; #FREEJAVITO
Taking Chances Posted November 30, 2018 at 09:10 PM Posted November 30, 2018 at 09:10 PM I'm listening to Oxygene right now and what an awesome song this is. I've always wanted an English version of this song. I love her crystal clear resonance. Her vocal here is just incredible. 4
Recommended Posts