NicoNV Posted March 10, 2015 at 11:22 PM Posted March 10, 2015 at 11:22 PM (edited) There is an article in the LV Sun about her return and the band. No date yet! (For some reason I can't copy from my phone) http://lasvegassun.com/vegasdeluxe/2015/mar/10/celine-dion-confirms-return-colosseum-caesars-pala/#.VP9h22Ywmw8.twitter They wanted freshen the show, but to also reduce cost of the show. Meetings about the updated show will continue this week (cue best behaved employees week ever). No official return date announced. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Edited March 10, 2015 at 11:23 PM by NicoNV 2 Quote
Bralo20 Posted March 10, 2015 at 11:28 PM Posted March 10, 2015 at 11:28 PM Has Celine's team spoke out about this yet? There has to be an answer to why this happened. If her team doesn't speak out about this, then something must be horribly wrong. A standard press release was issued that their contracts will end on March 15, 2015 and that's about it. 1 Quote ...
NicoNV Posted March 10, 2015 at 11:28 PM Posted March 10, 2015 at 11:28 PM (edited) Has Celine's team spoke out about this yet? There has to be an answer to why this happened. If her team doesn't speak out about this, then something must be horribly wrong. Aldo is her team now. So we basically know all they will say about it. If she didn't care to call the people fired, I doubt she discusses it with fans. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Edited March 10, 2015 at 11:29 PM by NicoNV 1 Quote
Angel2006 Posted March 10, 2015 at 11:34 PM Posted March 10, 2015 at 11:34 PM I know this must have been a very hard choice for Celine to make. I thought the entire band was fired. Backup singers and everything, but from further reading I realize that only four band members were let go. I also found out in another section of the site that it was due to there contracts being over. It's still confusing, but I guess since there contracts were ended, Celine's team wanted to make changes. It makes a little more sense now that I know the reason. It seems like they didn't really get fired. There contracts just ended so I guess it was time to say goodbye. They say all good things must come to an end, but this is still very sad and shocking for me. I have grown attached to Celine's band over the years and this breaks my heart. I will need time to adjust to this new arrangement, but I have to trust that Celine and Celine's team made the best overall decision for the future of Celine's career. Although I am finding this very hard to take in as a loyal fan I'm going to have to learn to deal with the choices that were made. Quote
celine4evauk Posted March 10, 2015 at 11:40 PM Posted March 10, 2015 at 11:40 PM Perhaps it took Aldo (a new manager) to push for certain changes. We all know how celine rarely voices her opinion, and rene didn't like change much. A bit like "we've got a winning formula so why change it" - even if it has been the same for a decade. Also, if they did want to bring the cost down, maybe they'd rather keep paying for the orchestra than the band. She can always get temporary musicians for shows outside lv. I see this news as great for the vegas show, but unsure about what they'll do about concerts elsewhere. Maybe (like many of us have said) it brings the acoustic stripped down shows more possible than ever! It's going to be an interesting few weeks ahead! 1 Quote
QueenCeline87 Posted March 10, 2015 at 11:41 PM Posted March 10, 2015 at 11:41 PM I know we probably don't know ...or will never know the whole story but if this is their way of giving a new image , the way it was handled is not a good start at all!! It's making it look like Celine & René don't really care about how loyal these people have been over the last 20 years or so It just seems incredibly cold & harsh , especially since the people who were let go have not heard from Celine or René It just doesn't go with the image of Celine that the fans are used to. I think that's why a lot of fans are in shock cos it's just not something we ever saw coming! Again I know we don't know the whole story and there could be several factors behind this choice that the fans will just never know. I really hope that something positive comes out of this in the long run ....but for now maybe Aldo needs to work on the PR side of things cos its all looking a bit messy right now!! 2 Quote http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_-RQtOAL6F2I/TAZl-_MB2AI/AAAAAAAAAiI/bkJK6a44q3o/s1600/celine-dion-goodbyes-the-saddest-word.jpg
nuts2you Posted March 10, 2015 at 11:48 PM Posted March 10, 2015 at 11:48 PM I cant believe this topic is SOO HOT, Its like she on a TV special with Julie, and everybody on here watching it all at the same time.. Boy just wish this was true. but NEVER SEEN this topic so hot.,,Just like OLD TIMES I must say 1 Quote
Shaun Posted March 10, 2015 at 11:48 PM Posted March 10, 2015 at 11:48 PM Insiders believe that as Celine plans the new and refreshed show for her return, it was necessary to give it a new and updated feel and new sound and at the same time cut production and staging costs. http://lasvegassun.com/vegasdeluxe/2015/mar/10/celine-dion-confirms-return-colosseum-caesars-pala/#.VP9h22Ywmw8.twitter I know we take what Robin says with a pinch of salt but surely some truth in this? Caesar's applying pressure to bring Celine's show costs down might've had a say on the decisions made today. Co-incidence that 3 of the 4 let go were the longest serving members of the band? 2 Quote Bringing you the world's only Celine Dion podcast show since 2014.Find us on Soundcloud, Apple Podcasts, Spotify & Amazon Music.
CelineDionFreak Posted March 10, 2015 at 11:50 PM Posted March 10, 2015 at 11:50 PM I cant believe this topic is SOO HOT, Its like she on a TV special with Julie, and everybody on here watching it all at the same time.. Boy just wish this was true. but NEVER SEEN this topic so hot.,,Just like OLD TIMES I must sayIsn't that the truth! But at least we got something to talk about! Quote I didn't know love until they loved me back to life because somebody loves somebody!Le temps qui compte pour Celine est maintenant!
Popular Post Javier_Natalio Posted March 10, 2015 at 11:51 PM Popular Post Posted March 10, 2015 at 11:51 PM This doesn't change the image I have of Celine. For all the kindness we know she possesses, this would be the first time in her life (I guess?) she had to do somehting like this. The approach to let her team manage it and contact the fired people later seems right to me. I mean, why put her through such a hard time when she has a managing team to do it for her? Telling four people they´re fired (all at the same time? one by one? what to say... how not to get too emotional) that would be torture for her... not to mention she's taking care of an ill husband. Yes it was most likely mishandled, and we tend to take sides with the weakest, but let's not hurry up and blame Celine. I KNOW she and rene will eventually get in touch with them (didn't this happen just today after all?)... actually I bet they already have. If we are going by the musicians social media accounts, there's no way to be sure we are up to date to the last detail. Personally, I won't be taking this news too emotionaly, especially since I am not related to these guys in any way. Too bad they were fired and I wish them the best in future endeavours. And to fans renouncing Celine for this...were they ever really fans? Don't let the door hit you on the way out. 10 Quote
NicoNV Posted March 10, 2015 at 11:54 PM Posted March 10, 2015 at 11:54 PM (edited) http://lasvegassun.com/vegasdeluxe/2015/mar/10/celine-dion-confirms-return-colosseum-caesars-pala/#.VP9h22Ywmw8.twitter I know we take what Robin says with a pinch of salt but surely some truth in this? Caesar's applying pressure to bring Celine's show costs down might've had a say on the decisions made today. Co-incidence that 3 of the 4 let go were the longest serving members of the band? True about Robin (re: pinch of salt needed). The decisions made were still made by Aldo and Celine, and likely Rene (as Aldo himself said he would make no decisions without them). Who knows if CP applied pressure or not. All we know is the decision made by Celine and her team, and how Aldo, Celine, and Rene handled it. CP's role, if any, is unknown. Regardless, it's done now. I doubt it is a topic within her team at this point. Fans will keep discussing it because there isn't any other news. Edit: I just keep thinking how awkward it would be to watch her Vegas show. Seeing her walkout, without any of her known team, but already hearing/knowing how they handled all this. With time, that awkwardness will fade I suppose. But, right now, it would almost feel painfully awkward to see. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Edited March 11, 2015 at 12:05 AM by NicoNV Quote
nuts2you Posted March 11, 2015 at 12:00 AM Posted March 11, 2015 at 12:00 AM Nobody is saying anything about the backup singers in all of this,, whats the say in all of this Quote
cobra74 Posted March 11, 2015 at 12:07 AM Posted March 11, 2015 at 12:07 AM When I first discovered Céline it was her voice that made me a fan. As I learned more about her, it was her absolute loyalty to, and love for, her husband René. Despite the critics who thought the age difference, the fact that he was her manager, and so on should matter, Céline stood by her man. Through thick and thin, through cancer, through business, through everything. When René Charles was born, Céline made sure the public, and her fans, that she was a mother first and an entertainer second. She showed her loyalty, and love, for her son came even before her success as a singer. When we watched her go through the trials and tribulations to get pregnant again with the twins, Céline showed that becoming a mother was paramount to her career. All these things, her dedication to her husband, her dedication to family (both immediate and extended), her dedication to her fans, above and beyond what other entertainers showed, and the (formally) close knit, like minded fan base caused me to hold Céline above all others. I was a fan, then became a fanatic. A Céliniac. As I increased my library of video's, dvd's, and so on, I noticed the same musicians over and over. Further research showed that some of these musicians had been with her since the beginning. Many were from Quebec, leading me to believe Céline chose them, not only for their talent, but from loyalty to her hometown. As I saw the Céline that was down to Earth, loving to one man only,dedicated to family, beyond loyal to her crew, and always eager to meet a fan, I fell in love. There are entertainers that I like, there are those in show business that I admire. But it is only Céline that I respect. And now, for me personally, that has been somewhat tarnished. I understand how show business works, I understand contracts, and I understand change and that nothing lasts forever. But Céline, to me, has always been above that, has always proven that you can succeed, even beyond expectations, without being like everyone else. Céline is...Céline. A superstar who lives with us, not above us. Now, regardless of whether you think Céline owes us or we owe her, whether her musicians made her or she carried those musicians, whether it's just business is business or disloyalty to 28 years of service, whether change is good or change is bad, or somewhere in between all those things, Céline seems to be...like all the rest. And that breaks my heart. I will wait to see what transpires next, I will attend concerts, buy music, and continue to follow Céline. But, unfortunately for now, I'm going to have to put my Céliniac card up. Céline doesn't owe me anything but she is going to have to show me the old Céline is still the current Céline. That's just the way it is... Sent from My Reality Alone using Tapatalk 2 4 Quote "Better to die on one's feet than to live on one's knees."
chocolatechip15 Posted March 11, 2015 at 12:23 AM Posted March 11, 2015 at 12:23 AM (edited) As I saw the Céline that was down to Earth, loving to one man only,dedicated to family, beyond loyal to her crew, and always eager to meet a fan, I fell in love. There are entertainers that I like, there are those in show business that I admire. But it is only Céline that I respect. And now, for me personally, that has been somewhat tarnished. I understand how show business works, I understand contracts, and I understand change and that nothing lasts forever. But Céline, to me, has always been above that, has always proven that you can succeed, even beyond expectations, without being like everyone else. Céline is...Céline. A superstar who lives with us, not above us. Now, regardless of whether you think Céline owes us or we owe her, whether her musicians made her or she carried those musicians, whether it's just business is business or disloyalty to 28 years of service, whether change is good or change is bad, or somewhere in between all those things, Céline seems to be...like all the rest. And that breaks my heart. That is exactly what bothers me so much -- I love Celine the person, much more so than her music. And she has always presented herself as someone who's loyal to a core constituent of people that surround her . . she's credited that with keeping her grounded; that she doesn't want people who will say yes to her all the time. They've frequently made a big deal of what a great thing it is that she's had many collaborators for 25+ years -- she drew attention to it twice in her script for the Celine Vegas show, with both Mego and Andre. I'm also pretty sure there's an interview where she talks about how much she loves having had the band with her all these years, how she doesn't understand people who change their bands all the time -- and I'm pretty sure she even compared it to making love -- saying something like, "why would you change it all up just when you're learning how to make it especially beautiful." Or this, from her autobiography, about when she told her band Rene was sick with cancer in '99: "They gathered around me and enveloped me in their music, which was sweeter and more caressing than ever. After the show, Mego told me he felt that the evening's music was like a prayer we'd made together. I don't think any of us will forget those moments we experienced." She can't rhapsodize about how much she loves her band and having them with her all these years, and then turn around and send an agent to dismiss them without a personal word -- and not expect fans to question her sincerity. I mean, she gave more attention to that random dancer who left halfway through the Taking Chances tour, saying goodbye to her -- was that just for the camera? And of course then I wonder what else may have just been an act. And yet, I really do perceive Celine as so sincere . .so I think either -- there's something else behind this (which I would think there might be justification for one or two people being let go . .but all these? can't imagine it.) Or maybe she really didn't authorize this. She has always divorced herself pretty entirely from the business side of things .. when Peter Barbeau was fired, she said she didn't really know much about it. And all the statements seemed to be angry at her new management but not at her and Rene, which would again indicate that it was just Aldo.. but if that's the case, then she really needs to get more involved. She's 46, not 12 anymore, and the responsibility for things like this rests with her. Edited March 11, 2015 at 12:29 AM by chocolatechip15 5 Quote
chocolatechip15 Posted March 11, 2015 at 12:26 AM Posted March 11, 2015 at 12:26 AM I wouldn't be surprised if it has something to do with money - the biographies have said that Rene was proud of having the highest-paid musicians and technicians, because he wanted the best to surround Celine -- and for people close to them like Mego and Andre, they probably had very generous contracts. And if it was all about money, that's very very sad -- b/c that's not how Celine and Rene have worked in the past. 3 Quote
chocolatechip15 Posted March 11, 2015 at 12:27 AM Posted March 11, 2015 at 12:27 AM And I don't think we can count on a Julie Snyder interview to explain it all -- after all, Julie is another of Rene's long-term collaborators, so who knows if Aldo wants her to go, too? (Obviously, I"m not bitter at all.). 3 Quote
Del Posted March 11, 2015 at 12:31 AM Posted March 11, 2015 at 12:31 AM http://lasvegassun.c...22Ywmw8.twitter They wanted freshen the show, but to also reduce cost of the show. Meetings about the updated show will continue this week (cue best behaved employees week ever). No official return date announced. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk I am not surprised at all by this statement. It will certainly be sad to see some of her team leave but I think we should look forward to what might be ahead and what they will do to freshen up the show. 2 Quote Instagram: @delphis78
NicoNV Posted March 11, 2015 at 12:35 AM Posted March 11, 2015 at 12:35 AM (edited) That is exactly what bothers me so much -- I love Celine the person, much more so than her music. And she has always presented herself as someone who's loyal to a core constituent of people that surround her . . she's credited that with keeping her grounded; that she doesn't want people who will say yes to her all the time. They've frequently made a big deal of what a great thing it is that she's had many collaborators for 25+ years -- she drew attention to it twice in her script for the Celine Vegas show, with both Mego and Andre. I'm also pretty sure there's an interview where she talks about how much she loves having had the band with her all these years, how she doesn't understand people who change their bands all the time -- and I'm pretty sure she even compared it to making love -- saying something like, "why would you change it all up just when you're learning how to make it especially beautiful." Or this, from her autobiography, about when she told her band Rene was sick with cancer in '99: "They gathered around me and enveloped me in their music, which was sweeter and more caressing than ever. After the show, Mego told me he felt that the evening's music was like a prayer we'd made together. I don't think any of us will forget those moments we experienced." She can't rhapsodize about how much she loves her band and having them with her all these years, and then turn around and send an agent to dismiss them without a personal word -- and not expect fans to question her sincerity. I mean, she gave more attention to that random dancer who left halfway through the Taking Chances tour, saying goodbye to her -- was that just for the camera? And of course then I wonder what else may have just been an act. And yet, I really do perceive Celine as so sincere . .so I think either -- there's something else behind this (which I would think there might be justification for one or two people being let go . .but all these? can't imagine it. Or maybe she really didn't authorize this. She has always divorced herself pretty entirely from the business side of things .. when Peter Barbeau was fired, she said she didn't really know much about it. And all the statements seemed to be angry at her new management but not at her and Rene, which would again indicate that it was just Aldo.. but if that's the case, then she really needs to get more involved. She's 46, not 12 anymore, and the responsibility for things like this rests with her. Like you said, she is 46. Aldo said people do not tell her what to do. She was to tell him, and he would carry it out. They can't have it both ways. I mean, they can certainly try, but this episode has been a bit like pulling the curtain back and seeing the wizard. A wizard some of us suspected for some time, but the reveal doesn't make it easier. I have been a fan of her music. She chose to incorporate her image into that. It isn't necessary when discussing her music. It was a choice. But, it does feel like a manipulation now. Granted, it always did to an extent, but parts at least rang true. Time will tell. But, I think people need to remember Robin needs a pinch of salt, but so does Celine and Aldo. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Edited March 11, 2015 at 12:40 AM by NicoNV 2 Quote
NicoNV Posted March 11, 2015 at 12:39 AM Posted March 11, 2015 at 12:39 AM I am not surprised at all by this statement. It will certainly be sad to see some of her team leave but I think we should look forward to what might be ahead and what they will do to freshen up the show. They started by firing core people considered loyal. Damaging her image or working toward recreating it (depending on your perspective). So, it all has to be uphill, right? How much worse could it get? If nothing else, Aldo succeeded in setting really low expectations. So, that should help with the pressure. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 1 Quote
chocolatechip15 Posted March 11, 2015 at 12:39 AM Posted March 11, 2015 at 12:39 AM Not to sound harsh, but business is business. There's no room in business for emotions. You put emotions in business decisions and you fail. Except that Celine's company is called Feeling Productions. If there ever were a company that put emotions before business -- or at least right in there in the mix -- it was Celine and Rene's company. Part of why I loved them is that they weren't just all about the business. Even Jean-Jacques Goldman said Rene was more an artist than a businessman . . .and, as Nico mentioned, he was well-known for his loyalty. Even if you put it all in business terms: They made emotions their brand. So to dismiss these long-term collaborators so unfeelingly -- that's got to hurt their brand. 3 Quote
NicoNV Posted March 11, 2015 at 12:49 AM Posted March 11, 2015 at 12:49 AM (edited) Even if you put it all in business terms: They made emotions their brand. So to dismiss these long-term collaborators so unfeelingly -- that's got to hurt their brand. This. People can be excited and cheer. That's great. But, that isn't everyone. Not that I think that matters to her or her team. Money and selling product matter most. But, her ability to do that was packaged in an image. That was changed for some fans. How much that hurts, if at all, is unknown until she tries to sell tickets or an album or some product. Overall, the impact might be slight. So, they might find fans reactions worth it really. Especially if it saves money, doesn't end up hurting her earning potential, and just upsets some fans. The average consumer will have no idea what happened, much less why it bothered people. Her Vegas audience is comprised of the average consumer. So, this may just be more a personal thing for long time fans. If she picks up more average consumers, financially they likely won't notice. So, we all might as well deal with it and move on. Will I view her the same? Nope. Does that matter? Nope. Because I pay the same price for a concert ticket as the person who just happens to be walking by without any other plans that night. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Edited March 11, 2015 at 12:51 AM by NicoNV 3 Quote
Peppercorn1991 Posted March 11, 2015 at 12:51 AM Posted March 11, 2015 at 12:51 AM The statement doesnt even mention Vegas for her return to the stage at this point Kev x Quote
SuperLove4Celine Posted March 11, 2015 at 12:53 AM Posted March 11, 2015 at 12:53 AM Except that Celine's company is called Feeling Productions. If there ever were a company that put emotions before business -- or at least right in there in the mix -- it was Celine and Rene's company. Part of why I loved them is that they weren't just all about the business. Even Jean-Jacques Goldman said Rene was more an artist than a businessman . . .and, as Nico mentioned, he was well-known for his loyalty. Even if you put it all in business terms: They made emotions their brand. So to dismiss these long-term collaborators so unfeelingly -- that's got to hurt their brand. I will add my personal views about this whole thing a bit later, but for now I will simply address the above post. I don't believe Feeling Productions was named after one's feelings of love, loyalty, happiness, anger, sadness, etc. If I am not mistaken, it was named after instinct, a gut FEELING. Therefore, the name of the company bares no connection to the loyalty factor regarding Celine & Rene, and the rest of their team. If anything, this change only solidifies the name of the company. Perhaps everybody at the top had a FEELING it was time to move on into a different direction to evolve. Only time will tell. 1 Quote
NicoNV Posted March 11, 2015 at 12:53 AM Posted March 11, 2015 at 12:53 AM The statement doesnt even mention Vegas for her return to the stage at this point Kev x Meetings will continue throughout the week. The projected date is Sept. 23, but possibly sooner. (per Robin Leech, who gets as much credit as Aldo in my book). I would imagine Aldo won't announce a date until meetings conclude this week. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 1 Quote
incognito Posted March 11, 2015 at 12:56 AM Posted March 11, 2015 at 12:56 AM (edited) I keep wanting to type his name as Adolf. I can't think why. Edited March 11, 2015 at 12:56 AM by incognito 3 Quote
zuv Posted March 11, 2015 at 12:57 AM Posted March 11, 2015 at 12:57 AM I keep wanting to type his name as Adolf. I can't think why.wow, gurl, thats just wrong. 3 Quote
chocolatechip15 Posted March 11, 2015 at 12:58 AM Posted March 11, 2015 at 12:58 AM Guys, there is a huge outpouring of support for Andre Coutu on his Facebook page. You can only see it if you're his friend of Facebook -- but he just accepted my request, so I'm assuming he accepts pretty much everyone. If you want to let him know how the fans appreciate all he's done over the years, let him know on Facebook. And I realllly hope all of them -- Aldo, Celine, and Rene -- see that page. 2 Quote
incognito Posted March 11, 2015 at 01:01 AM Posted March 11, 2015 at 01:01 AM wow, gurl, thats just wrong. I know. The correct spelling is Aldo. I'll get it right. 1 Quote
NicoNV Posted March 11, 2015 at 01:02 AM Posted March 11, 2015 at 01:02 AM (edited) Guys, there is a huge outpouring of support for Andre Coutu on his Facebook page. You can only see it if you're his friend of Facebook -- but he just accepted my request, so I'm assuming he accepts pretty much everyone. If you want to let him know how the fans appreciate all he's done over the years, let him know on Facebook. And I realllly hope all of them -- Aldo, Celine, and Rene -- see that page. Glad people are offering their support! Not to kick a sad pony, but they won't see that page. This could very well be what she wanted. She said once she felt stuck in a fairy tale narrative. Now people can judge her on the merits of her business, idealized image aside. So, in that sense, good for her for breaking out. (That reads very sarcastic, but I actually meant it). Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Edited March 11, 2015 at 01:04 AM by NicoNV 1 Quote
NicoNV Posted March 11, 2015 at 01:05 AM Posted March 11, 2015 at 01:05 AM I know. The correct spelling is Aldo. I'll get it right. Whenever I hear his name or read it, I think of cheap shoes. Ironic given who he manages. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.