CelinesDIVO5 Posted February 10, 2014 at 08:07 PM Posted February 10, 2014 at 08:07 PM I do. You can hear them at 01:32 till 01:41 , 02:23 till 02:28 and 03:00 Wow, you're a stickler lol...the way you wrote about it, made it seem like the "Yeah, yeah, yeah" that she did in "I'll Be There"....at 3:00 that is actually just a run on the note for the word "me" on the phrase "what your love means to me..." But, to each their own I guess lol. 1 Quote https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL54qnRGM2gMatthew Charles - "Fix You" - Live at The Stonewall InnStonewall Sensation - Season 15Originally written and performed by Coldplay
Hilda Posted February 10, 2014 at 09:16 PM Posted February 10, 2014 at 09:16 PM Where does that come from? Celine did 'O Holy Night' back in her vocal prime and her version is not more memorable than Mariah's. It is pretty much a tie...! where mariah wins on open arms - celine deffinately wins with oh holy night - her version of that is goooorgeous and perfect - the arrangement and everything is miles better than mariahs. 2 Quote
CelineDionFreak Posted February 10, 2014 at 09:55 PM Posted February 10, 2014 at 09:55 PM (edited) I still think Celine has a better "Open Arms" then Mariah. It sounds a little more like then the original. And didn't Journey say Celine's is one of their favorite covers of the song? Edited February 10, 2014 at 09:57 PM by CelineDionFreak Quote I didn't know love until they loved me back to life because somebody loves somebody!Le temps qui compte pour Celine est maintenant!
Prima_Donna1 Posted February 10, 2014 at 10:15 PM Posted February 10, 2014 at 10:15 PM I still think Celine has a better "Open Arms" then Mariah. It sounds a little more like then the original. And didn't Journey say Celine's is one of their favorite covers of the song?When did they say that? Just curious. 1 Quote Apprends-Moi tes Secrets...http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy180/miss_daly2881/post-1110-0-56076900-1358706235_thumb.jpg
chocolatechip15 Posted February 11, 2014 at 12:02 AM Posted February 11, 2014 at 12:02 AM (edited) I, too, much prefer Celine's version of Open Arms. Mariah's voice acutally sounds like it's in really good shape, but I find the way she drags out almost every word into multiple syllables annoying. ("sooo nooow i coooome to yooooouuu . .hoooopinnng yoooullll seeeee what your love means too meeeee"). Practically the WHOLE song is like that, and it gets to be a bit much. Celine only elongates the words that matter "cooome to you with oooopen arms" -- and in those words, she holds one note, instead of hitting multiple ones -- it accentuates the effect of those words, and makes you sort of experience the "opening" of the arms. anyway, that's just my opinion. . . . Edited February 11, 2014 at 12:03 AM by chocolatechip15 5 Quote
CelineDionFreak Posted February 11, 2014 at 12:13 AM Posted February 11, 2014 at 12:13 AM When did they say that? Just curious. I don't exactly remember when. I think it was near the start of the vegas show, and I remember seeing an article that had said that Journey liked her rendition of it Quote I didn't know love until they loved me back to life because somebody loves somebody!Le temps qui compte pour Celine est maintenant!
Prima_Donna1 Posted February 11, 2014 at 01:45 AM Posted February 11, 2014 at 01:45 AM (edited) Well I'm probably in a party of one here. I prefer the Journey version better. Other than that Celine and Mariah's versions. Edited February 11, 2014 at 01:48 AM by Prima_Donna1 Quote Apprends-Moi tes Secrets...http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy180/miss_daly2881/post-1110-0-56076900-1358706235_thumb.jpg
PatrickDion22 Posted February 11, 2014 at 01:52 AM Posted February 11, 2014 at 01:52 AM It's 2014 and we're still obsessed with the Celine-Mariah saga. Does anyone know when Mariah's new album is scheduled to drop? 1 Quote Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/patjsully
Alex_Incognito Posted February 11, 2014 at 01:54 AM Posted February 11, 2014 at 01:54 AM Barf. Who cares? 5 Quote "People pay 20-25 dollars to see you."- Céline Dion, 1990
Prima_Donna1 Posted February 11, 2014 at 01:58 AM Posted February 11, 2014 at 01:58 AM It's 2014 and we're still obsessed with the Celine-Mariah saga. Does anyone know when Mariah's new album is scheduled to drop?From the looks of things .............well............10......years!!!! Tho from I heard it will be out in May 6th, this yr. Quote Apprends-Moi tes Secrets...http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy180/miss_daly2881/post-1110-0-56076900-1358706235_thumb.jpg
ashtonelijah Posted February 11, 2014 at 02:25 AM Posted February 11, 2014 at 02:25 AM It's coming out May 6. The third single comes out Feb. 12. 1 Quote http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v27/warathogwarts/lovedmebackbanner.jpg
helios.apollon Posted February 11, 2014 at 05:47 AM Posted February 11, 2014 at 05:47 AM I wouldn't care less about Mariah covering all by myself... if it wasn't for the fact that nowadays she simply doesn't have the voice to sing it properly (if she tries to reach Celine's notes that is and doesn't change it for some 'easy' version...). I mean Celine recorded it in the 90's when her voice was on the peak of her power... Mariah is doing it in 2014 when the only thing she can do is whistle and whisper... I'm so curious to hear that tho... lol (a Mariah fan also told me she was covering all by myself so I think it's really gonna happen). 1 Quote Taking Chances Freakhttp://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj252/helio_polis/CpiadeDSCF4482.jpg
Tyler1991 Posted February 11, 2014 at 06:49 AM Posted February 11, 2014 at 06:49 AM (edited) I'd rather hear Mariah sing yeah yeah yeh then hear celine sing "here we go" in between every verse of a live performance including French songs which are extremely out of place. Edited February 11, 2014 at 06:50 AM by Tyler1991 3 Quote
Chin Posted February 11, 2014 at 08:52 AM Posted February 11, 2014 at 08:52 AM Talking about Open Arms, I love Celine's version, but the original version by Steve Perry from Journey is still my favourite...And sorry to say that I think Mariah's version is awful. Quote
gafsa Posted February 11, 2014 at 09:57 AM Posted February 11, 2014 at 09:57 AM (edited) Mariah Carey's version of ''Open Arms'' is atrocious. She ruined this song with her annoying squeaky/airy voice and her overuse of melisma. Not to mention that all the awful and unnecessary ''yeah, yeah, yeah'' she's continually adding through the entire song are horrible and spoil the song. IMO, Celine's version of ''Open Arms'' is a trillion times better. She kept things simple and yet her delivery is superior to Mariah's. That's what i'm talking about when i said i want to slap her.. but i'm not sure about trillion times Edited February 11, 2014 at 10:06 AM by gafsa Quote
DionFanAlways Posted February 11, 2014 at 10:51 AM Posted February 11, 2014 at 10:51 AM I'd rather hear Mariah sing yeah yeah yeh then hear celine sing "here we go" in between every verse of a live performance including French songs which are extremely out of place.I kind of like the "here we go's!" 7 Quote I have had the time of my life following this woman! Much love.
Prima_Donna1 Posted February 11, 2014 at 11:58 AM Posted February 11, 2014 at 11:58 AM I kind of like the "here we go's!" Me too. 6 Quote Apprends-Moi tes Secrets...http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy180/miss_daly2881/post-1110-0-56076900-1358706235_thumb.jpg
CelinesDIVO5 Posted February 11, 2014 at 03:54 PM Posted February 11, 2014 at 03:54 PM I'd rather hear Mariah sing yeah yeah yeh then hear celine sing "here we go" in between every verse of a live performance including French songs which are extremely out of place. Mamacita, here we go, that's right...lmao 4 Quote https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL54qnRGM2gMatthew Charles - "Fix You" - Live at The Stonewall InnStonewall Sensation - Season 15Originally written and performed by Coldplay
Duchess Posted February 11, 2014 at 04:57 PM Posted February 11, 2014 at 04:57 PM well seeing as we are talking about covers, my all time favorite song is ben by michael jackson and no one can sing it quite like michael jackson until celine did a rendition of this in her vegas show. when i heard it i was reduced to tears and when i say tears i was a wreck. 2 Quote http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/Duchess_Nicol/flower20cropped.jpg
Bell Posted February 11, 2014 at 05:59 PM Posted February 11, 2014 at 05:59 PM well seeing as we are talking about covers, my all time favorite song is ben by michael jackson and no one can sing it quite like michael jackson until celine did a rendition of this in her vegas show. when i heard it i was reduced to tears and when i say tears i was a wreck.Well, no one could possibly get as emotional as Celine on stage. 3 Quote 16 YEARS A FORUM MEMBER
dlh1 Posted February 11, 2014 at 07:54 PM Posted February 11, 2014 at 07:54 PM It's coming out May 6. The third single comes out Feb. 12. Don't even remember the 2nd single. 1 Quote
LukeD Posted February 11, 2014 at 08:23 PM Posted February 11, 2014 at 08:23 PM (edited) Don't even remember the 2nd single.Nobody does. It was 'The Art Of Letting Go' released in December. Mariah has been chasing a good lead single for this album since 2012... I'm sure if 'Triumphant' was a good hit she'd surely rush the album release. Ever since she's been using excuses because her singles chart below her expectations. If she includes 'Triumphant' in her album, then the single she is about to release will be the 4th out of this album. I have never seen another pop singer doing something similar before. 4 singles released worldwide before the album is a record she set, no doubt...! Edited February 11, 2014 at 08:25 PM by LukeD Quote
zuv Posted February 11, 2014 at 09:14 PM Posted February 11, 2014 at 09:14 PM How aoubt u guys continue discussing who sang "open arms" better between celine n mariha in the "open arms" thread??? 1 Quote
GoldenLeaf Posted February 11, 2014 at 09:22 PM Posted February 11, 2014 at 09:22 PM Nobody does. It was 'The Art Of Letting Go' released in December. Mariah has been chasing a good lead single for this album since 2012... I'm sure if 'Triumphant' was a good hit she'd surely rush the album release. Ever since she's been using excuses because her singles chart below her expectations. If she includes 'Triumphant' in her album, then the single she is about to release will be the 4th out of this album. I have never seen another pop singer doing something similar before. 4 singles released worldwide before the album is a record she set, no doubt...! She probably knows that her album will struggle to sell 700,000 copies worldwide and therefore will be a flop like Memoirs Of An Imperfect Angel and Merry Christmas II You. No wonder she keeps delaying the release date... Quote
Del Posted February 11, 2014 at 09:42 PM Posted February 11, 2014 at 09:42 PM She's making sure that people embrace her new songs before releasing the new album. Perhaps the low chartting singles made her change some song choices. 1 Quote Instagram: @delphis78
divaslive98 Posted February 11, 2014 at 10:09 PM Posted February 11, 2014 at 10:09 PM (edited) Yeah, so sad the figure that she became. When I was a pre-teen I used to like more Mariah than Celine, because of Hero and all Music Box album, that is one of my favorite albuns of all times. But then she just changed so much her music style and the way she behaviors herself. It´s just sad, I get really upset when I see her half dressed. You guys are idiots. Mariah is one of many women of color whose image has been whitewashed by racist industry people uncomfortable about going live with a "black" women singing hip-hop jams instead of the big orchestral monstrosities created for singers like Barbara Streisand and Celine. When we talk without thinking and discuss our disdain for Mariah's later work, which is in many ways far, far superior to her earlier albuns, we are actually being implicitly racist. Mariah deprogrammed herself and created albums of songs she would actually want to listen to, we all decided for some reason to call her a slut. Look at the way her skin tone was adjusted on these earlier albums - she is presented as a white woman, albeit an intoxicatingly exotic white woman. They did a similar thing to Whitney with the album art / production for Preacher's Wife, people like Clive and Mottola were at the time looking for a "crossover" artist, since it was assumed that most mainstream radio stations might not be interested in playing "black music." Personally, I think Mariah is a creative genius (even the Glitter-era Mariah) who has only gotten better with time. Just listen to "The Art of Letting Go" once and you'll realize Celine has absolutely nothing on Mariah; if I could decide what to do about this ABM rumour, I would suggest that Celine and Mariah sing it together as a duet; the best thing to do when presented with an apple and an orange is to eat both at the same time. Edited February 11, 2014 at 10:14 PM by divaslive98 Quote
LukeD Posted February 11, 2014 at 10:09 PM Posted February 11, 2014 at 10:09 PM How aoubt u guys continue discussing who sang "open arms" better between celine n mariha in the "open arms" thread???That would also be out of topic because Mariah is not directly mentioned in that thread. Same way Celine is not mentioned here. Quote
LukeD Posted February 11, 2014 at 10:11 PM Posted February 11, 2014 at 10:11 PM (edited) You guys are idiots.And you are getting a report from me. Again. Edited February 11, 2014 at 10:13 PM by LukeD 2 Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.