mirage Posted January 8, 2025 at 06:31 PM Posted January 8, 2025 at 06:31 PM And yes, the covers thing in English is definitely Célines personal choice. This was confirmed to me by Scott Price himself back in 2016. Yeah I remember I've heard/read about this in the past as well.She likes other songs so much more than her own stuff.If it was her she would be more rock instead of love ballads all the time Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-F721B met Tapatalk Quote
Nmj Posted January 8, 2025 at 07:59 PM Posted January 8, 2025 at 07:59 PM Yeah I remember I've heard/read about this in the past as well.She likes other songs so much more than her own stuff.If it was her she would be more rock instead of love ballads all the time Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-F721B met Tapatalk We can definitely tell she prefers rock when it comes to English music. She insisted on “The Reason” being in the Celine residency against Rene’s advice of it being “too rock” for that show. You can tell she thrives personally in those songs like “The Reason”, “Taking Chances” even the cover songs she chooses are fromRock artists like Queen. Still though, to me it’s a slap in the face to the songwriters and producers when their projects almost never make it to the stage. I’m not against a cover or 2 in a show, for example that bond medley was awesome, but we didn’t need 7 more randomCovers in the show, it should be a section or medley of the show and the rest should be the brand and the projects that got her where she is. 4 Quote
Celine Fan 77 Posted January 8, 2025 at 08:21 PM Posted January 8, 2025 at 08:21 PM What did Scott say exactly? He told me the musicians had rehearsed Breakaway for the show in Vegas but Céline decided not to include the song in the show. Plus, I said to him the concert was stunning (this happened right after the opening night of the 2016 Summer Tour in Antwerp), and that fans would love to see a show like that in English, mostly with obscure songs. To this, his answer was that he finds it’s difficult for her to feel so free with her English repertoire as much as she feels with her French one. 4 Quote Tournée Européenne in Paris (December 1, 2013) Céline Dion Live 2016 in Antwerp (June 20, 2016) Céline Dion Live 2017 in Birmingham (July 27, 2017) Céline Dion à Paris (September 12, 2026)
mirage Posted January 8, 2025 at 08:23 PM Posted January 8, 2025 at 08:23 PM We can definitely tell she prefers rock when it comes to English music. She insisted on “The Reason” being in the Celine residency against Rene’s advice of it being “too rock” for that show. You can tell she thrives personally in those songs like “The Reason”, “Taking Chances” even the cover songs she chooses are fromRock artists like Queen. Still though, to me it’s a slap in the face to the songwriters and producers when their projects almost never make it to the stage. I’m not against a cover or 2 in a show, for example that bond medley was awesome, but we didn’t need 7 more randomCovers in the show, it should be a section or medley of the show and the rest should be the brand and the projects that got her where she is.True! Or when you have Audra Mae (who wrote SLS, Breakaway) at your show you could at least sing 1 of those songs right? Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-F721B met Tapatalk 1 Quote
DCCeline Posted January 8, 2025 at 09:09 PM Posted January 8, 2025 at 09:09 PM He told me the musicians had rehearsed Breakaway for the show in Vegas but Céline decided not to include the song in the show. Plus, I said to him the concert was stunning (this happened right after the opening night of the 2016 Summer Tour in Antwerp), and that fans would love to see a show like that in English, mostly with obscure songs. To this, his answer was that he finds it’s difficult for her to feel so free with her English repertoire as much as she feels with her French one. Thats a nice way of him saying Breakaway was too difficult to sing over and over live. I think it would have been lipped. 1 Quote
PuraVida Posted January 9, 2025 at 01:11 AM Posted January 9, 2025 at 01:11 AM Regarding discussion a few pages back, I don't think Celine's recent Instagram posts are teasing anything. Her team is being decent by uploading older HD photos and stuff, but I don't think there's any logic or hints at work. 1 Quote
Nmj Posted January 9, 2025 at 01:31 AM Posted January 9, 2025 at 01:31 AM Regarding discussion a few pages back, I don't think Celine's recent Instagram posts are teasing anything. Her team is being decent by uploading older HD photos and stuff, but I don't think there's any logic or hints at work. This. They don’t even know how to promote work as it’s ongoing, what makes us think they are smart enough to do Easter eggs lol. 2 Quote
PuraVida Posted January 9, 2025 at 02:00 AM Posted January 9, 2025 at 02:00 AM Part of me wishes she would give up the obsession (for lack of a better word!) with Vegas residencies. I feel like she's been there, done that in her career. Even before her diagnosis, I felt this. Then again, now with her illness, a residency makes way more sense than touring. But it's also placing a certain level of demands on her body/mind i.e. a couple shows a week? 4 Quote
Céline RO Posted January 9, 2025 at 07:54 AM Posted January 9, 2025 at 07:54 AM One thing that surprised me quite a lot was the fact that it was René who insisted on adding “A Song For You” to the setlist of her show in Stockholm back in 2008. Maybe he would have pushed for more songs from Courage for the CWT setlist? Maybe, but we know that ASFY was his favorite song on the TC album so it’s not really a bold or shocking move in that sense. 1 Quote The best is yet to come...
Céline RO Posted January 9, 2025 at 09:01 AM Posted January 9, 2025 at 09:01 AM Not the same relationship at all. Rene as we know was able to give very direct feedback and often did in the car on the way home. Thinking of the 3 Boys doc. Ok but Michel was (and still is) her brother and it was literally his job to give her instructions while she was on stage. He had the ability to stop her mid-speech if he deemed it necessary. Quote The best is yet to come...
Céline RO Posted January 9, 2025 at 09:03 AM Posted January 9, 2025 at 09:03 AM True! Or when you have Audra Mae (who wrote SLS, Breakaway) at your show you could at least sing 1 of those songs right? Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-F721B met Tapatalk Or the writers of several ‘Courage’ songs who came to her show in Toronto… Quote The best is yet to come...
Állex Sodi Posted January 9, 2025 at 02:07 PM Posted January 9, 2025 at 02:07 PM Some of you make it sound like Celine was just a puppet, a product of the industry created by Rene, not an artist. You credit everything to him. Did Celine ever have any artistic choice in her career? I wonder how accurate that is, and how much of it is just plain misogyny 1 Quote
Nmj Posted January 9, 2025 at 03:11 PM Posted January 9, 2025 at 03:11 PM Some of you make it sound like Celine was just a puppet, a product of the industry created by Rene, not an artist. You credit everything to him. Did Celine ever have any artistic choice in her career? I wonder how accurate that is, and how much of it is just plain misogyny Sorry to say so, but Rene ( a great manager ) had most of the control… that’s the way Celine wanted it too. She said her job was to sing the best possible and his job was everything else. I think Rene has a big hand in picking the set lists, the album tracks that she choose, and definitely made sure the label was pushing her work, like getting those CBS television specials etc. Rene might’ve had the control but in my opinion without it Celine would’ve never became the international superstar. Her fame might’ve stayed limited to French speaking Canada. 4 Quote
LukeD Posted January 9, 2025 at 06:17 PM Posted January 9, 2025 at 06:17 PM Some of you make it sound like Celine was just a puppet, a product of the industry created by Rene, not an artist. You credit everything to him. Did Celine ever have any artistic choice in her career? I wonder how accurate that is, and how much of it is just plain misogynyCoincidently, I was just watching today her interview with Jonathan Ross back in 2013. At some point she made it clear that Rene had full control over the business aspect of their shared life and that she was the one to be in charge at home. She specifically said that she was the one to wear the pants at home. And it is interesting you bring up misogyny because I thought of sexism hearing her make that point. However, even IF I take it as a given that Rene had full control of her professional direction, I still do not think that this minimises her artistry. Again coincidentally, I was thinking about this today. I was listening to some of Mariah's early 90s material and I was impressed with every single aspect of them - the vocals, the production, the melody, the lyrics. And I was impressed with Mariah for having such control over every single aspect of the creative process. And for seconds I wished Celine was the same. But then I thought that Celine has sung live way more, toured way more, put together a wider, more diverse range of shows/concerts, and therefore evolved more as a performer. And I realised Mariah does not have that. And this is because Mariah loves the studio, whereas Celine loves the stage. And I think that this conclusion lends itself well to the discussion we are having here. What Celine cares about is the stage - to sing, to connect, to impress, to satisfy. I believe this is where her true artistry lies which is why she left pretty much everything else to other people to handle. And this is why she is so modest and has so much respect for the songwriters, the producers who contributed to her career. So yes, I do think Rene was in control of most aspects of her career and that Celine was happy with that. Not because she was a puppet - I agree with you - but because she was a perfectionist who wanted to be fully prepared to deliver live, multiple times each year. 6 Quote
Nmj Posted January 9, 2025 at 06:47 PM Posted January 9, 2025 at 06:47 PM Coincidently, I was just watching today her interview with Jonathan Ross back in 2013. At some point she made it clear that Rene had full control over the business aspect of their shared life and that she was the one to be in charge at home. She specifically said that she was the one to wear the pants at home. And it is interesting you bring up misogyny because I thought of sexism hearing her make that point. However, even IF I take it as a given that Rene had full control of her professional direction, I still do not think that this minimises her artistry. Again coincidentally, I was thinking about this today. I was listening to some of Mariah's early 90s material and I was impressed with every single aspect of them - the vocals, the production, the melody, the lyrics. And I was impressed with Mariah for having such control over every single aspect of the creative process. And for seconds I wished Celine was the same. But then I thought that Celine has sung live way more, toured way more, put together a wider, more diverse range of shows/concerts, and therefore evolved more as a performer. And I realised Mariah does not have that. And this is because Mariah loves the studio, whereas Celine loves the stage. And I think that this conclusion lends itself well to the discussion we are having here. What Celine cares about is the stage - to sing, to connect, to impress, to satisfy. I believe this is where her true artistry lies which is why she left pretty much everything else to other people to handle. And this is why she is so modest and has so much respect for the songwriters, the producers who contributed to her career. So yes, I do think Rene was in control of most aspects of her career and that Celine was happy with that. Not because she was a puppet - I agree with you - but because she was a perfectionist who wanted to be fully prepared to deliver live, multiple times each year. Sadly ironic that Mariah who lives for the studio is able to do live shows…and Celine who lives for the stage would be easier to resume her career from the studio. I do hope if she pivots and does less shows (which is likely) that she begins to write and produce her own music. 1 Quote
Céline RO Posted January 9, 2025 at 08:48 PM Posted January 9, 2025 at 08:48 PM Sadly ironic that Mariah who lives for the studio is able to do live shows…and Celine who lives for the stage would be easier to resume her career from the studio. Céline on her worst SPS days would probably perform better than Mariah at this point… she just chooses to only do so when she is fully able to put on the show that she wants. 4 Quote The best is yet to come...
KyleVan41 Posted January 9, 2025 at 09:29 PM Posted January 9, 2025 at 09:29 PM Mariah has the stage presence of a dead rat 3 Quote
comingback Posted January 9, 2025 at 09:41 PM Posted January 9, 2025 at 09:41 PM (edited) . Edited January 9, 2025 at 09:50 PM by comingback Quote
DCCeline Posted January 10, 2025 at 12:39 PM Posted January 10, 2025 at 12:39 PM (edited) I saw Mariah in December on her Christmas show, and she looked like a drugged up blowup doll that has recently died. She couldn't even keep her eyes open while singing, and she shuffled while walking. I won't even mention her voice.Celine at the Olympics showed more energy than Mariah did that whole entire show. Edited January 10, 2025 at 12:39 PM by DCCeline 3 Quote
Veelxpz Posted January 12, 2025 at 12:31 PM Posted January 12, 2025 at 12:31 PM Hello peopleIdk if it's off topic but I remembered something and I don't even understand what ended up happening. Does Céline still have to pay ICM/Rob till 2026? And if she doesn't do any shows till then what happens? Or like can she decide to not do any shows until the contract is over? I don't even know if what I'm saying makes sense lol I never understood how they ended up settling it. Quote
Peppercorn1991 Posted January 12, 2025 at 01:10 PM Posted January 12, 2025 at 01:10 PM Hello peopleIdk if it's off topic but I remembered something and I don't even understand what ended up happening. Does Céline still have to pay ICM/Rob till 2026? And if she doesn't do any shows till then what happens? Or like can she decide to not do any shows until the contract is over? I don't even know if what I'm saying makes sense lol I never understood how they ended up settling it. Yeah I’d like a reminder about this too if anyone knows… Kev x Quote
LukeD Posted January 12, 2025 at 03:16 PM Posted January 12, 2025 at 03:16 PM (edited) One thing I would like to see is Celine speaking more of her achievements. She is way too modest to the point where the general public ignores much of her legacy. And what I notice is that nowadays artists' brands are closely intertwined with societal change/impact. More than ever I would say. Take Beyonce for example, she did a country album last year, and the development/marketing of the album had so much to do with her race. She recruited a number of black country artists to be featured and of course black musicians. And she received a staggering 11 Grammy nominations. I know this has much to do with how she is connected with key string-pullers that basically run the industry, but I also think the conceptual value of her album adds to this. I mean, if the Grammy Awards do not give her 'Album of the Year' they will be seen as racist. I am therefore wondering whether this is something TeamCeline will consider. Will we see some of her songs address (explicitly or not) societal issues? Or will we be receiving another album predominatly focused on love? Also, is she going to write any of the lyrics as nowadays there is more of an expectation or not? I mean 'Cowboy Carter' had just about 30 producers and over 100 songwriters involved and Beyonce still gets songwriting credit. This is definitely something Celine could do. Not that I mind any of that, I am just wondering! Edited January 12, 2025 at 03:19 PM by LukeD Quote
KyleVan41 Posted January 14, 2025 at 06:34 PM Posted January 14, 2025 at 06:34 PM Janet extends residence until end of May at Resorts World with six more dates. Quote
Nmj Posted January 14, 2025 at 06:36 PM Posted January 14, 2025 at 06:36 PM Janet extends residence until end of May at Resorts World with six more dates. It’s beginning to look less likely for this residency anytime soon. Quote
Ukrfan Posted January 14, 2025 at 06:45 PM Posted January 14, 2025 at 06:45 PM It’s beginning to look less likely for this residency anytime soon. Maybe - as much as I don't want to admit it - Vital Vegas was right once again 1 Quote
PuraVida Posted January 14, 2025 at 09:19 PM Posted January 14, 2025 at 09:19 PM Maybe - as much as I don't want to admit it - Vital Vegas was right once again What did Vital Vegas say? Quote
KyleVan41 Posted January 14, 2025 at 09:26 PM Posted January 14, 2025 at 09:26 PM What did Vital Vegas say? That she’s never coming back lol Quote
PuraVida Posted January 14, 2025 at 09:30 PM Posted January 14, 2025 at 09:30 PM That she's never coming back lol Do you have the link to that article? Thanks. Quote
Veelxpz Posted January 14, 2025 at 11:44 PM Posted January 14, 2025 at 11:44 PM Maybe - as much as I don't want to admit it - Vital Vegas was right once again Or maybe, Paris Match is right, and it's until 2026. Céline wouldn't affirm it over and over again if it's not happening. Quote
KyleVan41 Posted January 14, 2025 at 11:46 PM Posted January 14, 2025 at 11:46 PM Or maybe, Paris Match is right, and it's until 2026. Céline wouldn't affirm it over and over again if it's not happening. Yes it’s coming. But didn’t Paris March say November 2025 Vegas Paris 2026 ? Bit more patience I guess ! 1 Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.