Jump to content

The legacy of My Heart Will Go On


Recommended Posts

Posted

NEW article online about the new music video from Forbes!!

 

Link- Céline Dion Released 25th Anniversary Video For ‘My Heart Will Go On’ To YouTube (forbes.com)

 

I LOVE that this amazing new music video for one of the most successful songs of all time and Celine's biggest hit is making worldwide news!

 

It's an very interesting article, I don't think the writer realized that Celine's team had never shockingly previously posted the original iconic music video on Celine's YouTube.

But, they are absolutely correct about how many fan made videos over the years have posted.

 

Here are some of the best quotes from the article:

  • "Though visually improved from the original music video, it is also notable in that it doesn't include any footage from Titanic. This video is instead all about Céline Dion."
  • "This newly remastered video could become the de facto version, and perhaps help ensure that Dion is able to reap the rewards from the song."
  • ""We're in an interesting time with YouTube, where fan creations can impede the work of the original artist," said Bruce Barber, professional in residence and general manager at 88.7 WNHU at the University of New Haven.
    "We see that fans are creating their own takes on the original work, but the musical artists don't always reap the benefits," added Barber. "

  • "It is also notable that the new 25th-anniversary video has taken out the footage from the film that made it a hit. That could turn off some fans of the original video, but in a way, it could also make "My Heart Will Go On" even more closely tied to Dion in the process.
    "Titanic's success was such that there was a burn factor that even resulted in a backlash," said Barber. "We saw its popularity ebb and flow over time. Now with its 25th anniversary release last December, a new generation of fans is discovering the film, and some may even be hearing the song for the first time."

  • ""This asks the question whether it was a great song because it was part of a great film, or if it could stand on its own," noted Barber. "That remains to be seen, but now we'll have the chance to find out."

  • Like 2
Posted (edited)

 

Can anyone who is a professional in editing vocals (maybe yourself CelinesDIVO5) confirm that this is possible?

I have always wondered about this, and my non-professional conclusion was that there were at least two takes. And for the final versions, they took the same vocals for everything except for the last "on", which come from two different takes.

They do this all the time in the industry. Even the recent "La Memoire d'Abraham" version has bits from the "D'Eux" version mixed with different takes. What is surprising in MHWGO is that they would only have done this for the last "on", but at the same time, the melodies do have different endings...

 

When it comes to Sorry For Love, I completely agree that the note was digitally extended, but I believe that the ending of the big note in the techno version also comes from a second take. I do not believe that (in 2003) computers could create such melismas from the non-techno version alone. The song is also completely different after.

 

The melisma at the end of the “Sorry” note in the ANDHC version is actually the melisma at the end of “take back a thing” in the 2003 version. They just fade it out with echo to round out the vowel to make it make sense. It’s an odd cut and paste, but this is what was done.

 

This technology was very much available in 2001/2002. The Thunderpuss remix of Whitney’s “It’s Not Right, But It’s Okay” used it for the “You were making a fool of me, AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH.” In the album version of the song, no such note exists. This technology was around even in the late 90’s.

 

As for the last note in MHWGO single version, it was elongated and the run at the end cut.

Edited by CelinesDIVO5
  • Like 5

Matthew Charles - "Fix You" - Live at The Stonewall Inn

Stonewall Sensation - Season 15

Originally written and performed by Coldplay

Posted (edited)

And that’s the creativity of the sound engineer/producer to fix le problems that doesn’t need to re record the vocals.

 

Also, listen to the trailer of “Unfinished Songs”, in that part they did an amazing job to combine words like it was a new vocals. The part in 1:58 “cause we’re all…..” you won’t find that in the original. But listen to the original and you will find the part where they copy it. And voila sounds like it was a new vocal recording

 

Trailer

 

Original

https://youtu.be/bXs-AVLoa4w

 

The power of editing.

 

Edit

 

From the trailer

 

1:58 “we’re aaaaallllllllll

 

From the original

 

2:33 “have it allllllllllllllll

 

See! :)

 

I remember this and never forgotten because the first time i heard the song in the trailer that run in “we’re all”, when the final song was released. It wasn’t there. So, i clearly listen everything again and voila they just combined it to make it like it was a new recording.

 

We have ears so use it and you’ll find the tricks :)

Edited by jpatdeleon09
Posted (edited)
So, i believe in James Cameron, Céline…. :) Edited by jpatdeleon09
Posted

And that’s the creativity of the sound engineer/producer to fix le problems that doesn’t need to re record the vocals.

 

Also, listen to the trailer of “Unfinished Songs”, in that part they did an amazing job to combine words like it was a new vocals. The part in 1:58 “cause we’re all…..” you won’t find that in the original. But listen to the original and you will find the part where they copy it. And voila sounds like it was a new vocal recording

 

Trailer

 

Original

https://youtu.be/bXs-AVLoa4w

 

The power of editing.

 

Edit

 

From the trailer

 

1:58 “we’re aaaaallllllllll

 

From the original

 

2:33 “have it allllllllllllllll

 

See! :)

 

I remember this and never forgotten because the first time i heard the song in the trailer that run in “we’re all”, when the final song was released. It wasn’t there. So, i clearly listen everything again and voila they just combined it to make it like it was a new recording.

 

We have ears so use it and you’ll find the tricks :)

 

I actually think those are 2 different runs

Matthew Charles - "Fix You" - Live at The Stonewall Inn

Stonewall Sensation - Season 15

Originally written and performed by Coldplay

Posted (edited)

I actually think those are 2 different runs

 

In the trailer, they just combined it. copy the run note in "Have it all..." in the original to the trailer version of "we're all..."

 

That's why it sounded like it's different but they just recycled it without re recording :)

 

Actually, I did try redoing this because that time I was so obsessed with that note in the trailer and when I listen to the Album version (not the one in LMBTL Album), the certain part that I was obsessed with is no where to be found but after listening to it again. I finally found where they took that run that can be heard from the trailer.

 

here lol

 

I redid it like in the trailer (I tried to masked it with cymbals lol Well, this was in 2013 so not that good with editing yet)

 

https://soundcloud.c...=social_sharing

 

Here is the original one

 

https://soundcloud.c...=social_sharing

 

See :)

Edited by jpatdeleon09
Posted (edited)

Just to share my editing. I did this before just for fun. Combining two songs and the strings at 2:55. I just extended it by copying the strings from the songs itself. Then, added cinematic bass to cut for the transition to Ariana.

 

I find the humming part at the end sounds like Celine lol

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Csw69fK7g74

 

The power of editing.

 

The producer/sound engineer just need vocals and they can do anything with it. :)

Edited by jpatdeleon09
Posted

Wouahhhh in 4k

  • Like 2
Posted

The melisma at the end of the "Sorry" note in the ANDHC version is actually the melisma at the end of "take back a thing" in the 2003 version. They just fade it out with echo to round out the vowel to make it make sense. It's an odd cut and paste, but this is what was done.

 

This technology was very much available in 2001/2002. The Thunderpuss remix of Whitney's "It's Not Right, But It's Okay" used it for the "You were making a fool of me, AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH." In the album version of the song, no such note exists. This technology was around even in the late 90's.

 

As for the last note in MHWGO single version, it was elongated and the run at the end cut.

Oh riiiight. Thanks!

Posted

 

It seems her health situation began there. Hated the background vocals, hated the playback, her raw vocals are lovely and nothing happens if she won't belt the high notes. She looked a Queen.

"Needed in the chaos and confusion, from the plains to City Hall

Needed where the proud who walk the wire are set to fall"

Posted

It seems her health situation began there.

 

We can't say when her illness "began". I mean, if she was born with a genetic disposition for the illness, then that's that. We can't pinpoint a single point in time when it "began", and even symptom onset probably started very small and almost unnoticeable at first, whenever that was.

  • Like 1
Posted

 

This is amazing... She must have lip synched almost the whole song for each scenario of the music video... The variations are so many!

Although I miss the scenes of the movie, the 25th anniversary must be the best of all the versions... she is simply perfectly beautiful in each part of the video...

 

I really like the bit where she walks in the background of the ship as part of the movie (2:07 - director's cut)... And I adore the part where she's standing on the ship's bow and we can see the Titanic in all his glory (2:45 - not included on the 25th anniversary)...

 

So my rating is:

1st place: 25th anniversary

2nd place: director's cut

3rd place: official music video

Posted (edited)

 

That was very interesting to watch. I do wonder why they chose mostly different takes of Celine for the new video instead of matching them to the original scenes. The original and director's cut are very similar with Celine's scenes, but the new video is mostly different takes of Celine. Maybe they deliberately made it different?

 

Seeing them side by side now, the clips of Celine in the original video are just so good. It's almost odd they replaced them all. As much as I love the new video, wouldn't it make more sense to just replace all the scenes from the movie with new clips of Celine, but match the existing takes with the original?

Edited by Taking Chances
Posted

 

 

That was very interesting to watch. I do wonder why they chose mostly different takes of Celine for the new video instead of matching them to the original scenes. The original and director's cut are very similar with Celine's scenes, but the new video is mostly different takes of Celine. Maybe they deliberately made it different?

 

Seeing them side by side now, the clips of Celine in the original video are just so good. It's almost odd they replaced them all. As much as I love the new video, wouldn't it make more sense to just replace all the scenes from the movie with new clips of Celine, but match the existing takes with the original?

 

It is surprising they didn’t use the original scenes, but there’s just so little of Céline in the original version, it was probably easier to start from scratch instead of trying to mesh shots with the original.

 

I’m also surprised they didn’t use the dramatic shot with the ship in the background - but maybe it was too dramatic and didn’t look right in the middle of the song (I’m assuming they didn’t film the whole song from that angle because it was so CGI heavy - and expensive- to make).

  • Like 1
Posted

It is surprising they didn't use the original scenes, but there's just so little of Céline in the original version, it was probably easier to start from scratch instead of trying to mesh shots with the original.

 

I'm also surprised they didn't use the dramatic shot with the ship in the background - but maybe it was too dramatic and didn't look right in the middle of the song (I'm assuming they didn't film the whole song from that angle because it was so CGI heavy - and expensive- to make).

 

Yeah, that could be the reason. However, when they decided to make this new video, that's quite a bit of effort right there, so it probably wouldn't be that much of an effort to match the scenes. In any case, the video is gorgeous either way.

 

I actually think it's better that they left out the Titanic CGI scene. It makes sense in the original with the scenes from the movie, but it would probably look cheap in this video. That particular CGI scene isn't great to begin with, so with this new and amazing quality, I think it would look odd.

Posted

 

 

It is surprising they didn’t use the original scenes, but there’s just so little of Céline in the original version, it was probably easier to start from scratch instead of trying to mesh shots with the original.

 

I’m also surprised they didn’t use the dramatic shot with the ship in the background - but maybe it was too dramatic and didn’t look right in the middle of the song (I’m assuming they didn’t film the whole song from that angle because it was so CGI heavy - and expensive- to make).

Really not that surprising, they probably didn't use the original scenes because of copyright by the film owners. Also for the dramatic shot, it was just so bad, it looked clearly animated and a cartoon-ish background. New clips are wonderful! Although yes, would've love at least a view of Titanic in new video, but I'm fine!

Posted
And when they were doing the music video. The background song is in high speed. I’m amazed that Céline can still emote while the song is in high speed
  • Like 1
Posted

I have watched the video several times now but despite all the extra scenes and the amazing quality , as a videoclip it worked with the Titanic scenes and just the best shots of her but in this version the editing is inconsistent - the director takes scenes from day and night in the same sentences. Also, the big climax plus the ship leaving work so well with the scenes with Celine in it. Why are filmcompanies not even working to present their film in the best possible way?? I am still waiting for the original videoclip. And if they do not do that, then the fans can make one

 

 

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hl2XkxnYljg" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Posted (edited)
. Edited by comingback
Posted

I have watched the video several times now but despite all the extra scenes and the amazing quality , as a videoclip it worked with the Titanic scenes and just the best shots of her but in this version the editing is inconsistent - the director takes scenes from day and night in the same sentences. Also, the big climax plus the ship leaving work so well with the scenes with Celine in it. Why are filmcompanies not even working to present their film in the best possible way?? I am still waiting for the original videoclip. And if they do not do that, then the fans can make one

 

 

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

 

Yes, the anniversary video is amazing, but I miss the film scenes. Especially the climax/end (the sinking of the ship). You're here, there's nothing I fear ..., it fits so well in the original video.

Posted

 

 

Yes, the anniversary video is amazing, but I miss the film scenes. Especially the climax/end (the sinking of the ship). You're here, there's nothing I fear ..., it fits so well in the original video.

 

I miss nothing about the original video as a Celine fan more than a titanic fan.

  • Like 1
Posted

I'm surprised ( well, not so much actually) reading the comments because some still have some negative stuff to say. First of all, some seem not to get the concept of "alternate music video" and this is not my problem but I'm still in shock that TC worked ! :wtf: :wtf:

 

I mean, they didn't just upload existing material but they litterally create something new and they offered unseen footage.

 

As far as I can go backwards, this is the first it happens since social media exist. I don't think anybody mentioned it.

 

One could imagine that being so neglected as fans ( and I think that we are the most neglected fans EVER ) we would embrace this gift just like anyone who doesn't get anything is touched when given something...

 

Sometimes I really think we deserve this shitty situation we're in when it comes to Céline career ( from a discography/collector point of view)

  • Like 4
Posted

I'm surprised ( well, not so much actually) reading the comments because some still have some negative stuff to say. First of all, some seem not to get the concept of "alternate music video" and this is not my problem but I'm still in shock that TC worked ! :wtf: :wtf:

 

I mean, they didn't just upload existing material but they litterally create something new and they offered unseen footage.

 

As far as I can go backwards, this is the first it happens since social media exist. I don't think anybody mentioned it.

 

One could imagine that being so neglected as fans ( and I think that we are the most neglected fans EVER ) we would embrace this gift just like anyone who doesn't get anything is touched when given something...

 

Sometimes I really think we deserve this shitty situation we're in when it comes to Céline career ( from a discography/collector point of view)

 

This indeed must be the most impressive thing Team Celine has done for us EVER...

  • Like 4
Posted (edited)

I'm surprised ( well, not so much actually) reading the comments because some still have some negative stuff to say. First of all, some seem not to get the concept of "alternate music video" and this is not my problem but I'm still in shock that TC worked ! :wtf: :wtf:

 

I mean, they didn't just upload existing material but they litterally create something new and they offered unseen footage.

 

As far as I can go backwards, this is the first it happens since social media exist. I don't think anybody mentioned it.

 

One could imagine that being so neglected as fans ( and I think that we are the most neglected fans EVER ) we would embrace this gift just like anyone who doesn't get anything is touched when given something...

 

Sometimes I really think we deserve this shitty situation we're in when it comes to Céline career ( from a discography/collector point of view)

Exactly. And Celine is not even singing anymore, she is not promoting any concerts. She's not Adele or Beyonce or Rihanna, whom everyone is waiting for. It's like they did it just to please the fans. Nothing else. And to pull such a video clip, even with old material, they had to put some work in it!! I'm truly grateful to whoever had the idea to do this.

Edited by justinecoria
  • Like 2
Posted

I'm surprised ( well, not so much actually) reading the comments because some still have some negative stuff to say. First of all, some seem not to get the concept of "alternate music video" and this is not my problem but I'm still in shock that TC worked ! :wtf: :wtf:

 

I mean, they didn't just upload existing material but they litterally create something new and they offered unseen footage.

 

As far as I can go backwards, this is the first it happens since social media exist. I don't think anybody mentioned it.

 

One could imagine that being so neglected as fans ( and I think that we are the most neglected fans EVER ) we would embrace this gift just like anyone who doesn't get anything is touched when given something...

 

Sometimes I really think we deserve this shitty situation we're in when it comes to Céline career ( from a discography/collector point of view)

 

First of all, we as Celine fans appreciate the amazing anniversary video. But we miss the film scenes as Titanic and film fans

 

btw: They are showing the original MHWGO video on MTV Germany (No1/biggest movie hits of the 90s) right now ❤️.

 

 

Posted

I'm thrilled that we have this alternate music video uploaded to Celine's YouTube. I'm just glad that there's finally an official music video presence for My Heart Will Go On.

 

I also understand that others miss the iconic footage from the film itself. I think those images make the song feel even more grand.

 

But this new video is lovely. Celine looks beautiful. She's at the height of her power in the music industry. Few artists ever got as big as she was at the time -- and this is her signature song.

 

Regarding Team Celine... they have not been great in recent years, to say the least. But it comes from the top. It all stems from Celine's management, which has been wonky for many years -- even before Rene passed away. They faced a lot of personal hurdles with his cancer returning.

 

In 2016, Celine gave Aldo a shot... and she got back up on the horse and did a lot of promo-type things. But she clearly wasn't into it. She had been there, done that for so many years in the past.

 

What's helped me is that there's an abundance of treasures to be found from her heyday on YouTube. I'm a huge fan and I still find more new stuff Celine did back in the 90s. She and Rene just kept going, going, going back then.

 

I do hope that Celine has more big moments in the future that further solidify her status as an icon. Recognition for her huge success as a live performer and recording artist. She deserves it.

  • Like 1
Posted
btw: They are showing the original MHWGO video on MTV Germany (No1/biggest movie hits of the 90s) right now ❤️

post-1619-0-18557700-1679942406_thumb.jpg

  • Like 6

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...