Teodora Posted November 1, 2013 at 12:41 PM Posted November 1, 2013 at 12:41 PM Don't kill me, but, for me, this is the worst English album she's ever made. It's not a bad album in itself, I just think it's her worst. Which is still pretty damn good. I love the tunes, but because it's Celine, it's her voice, no other reason. The only songs I actually like and might end up listening to (as in not skipping them when I play the album) are Water and a Flame, Breakaway and Didn't Know Love. Maybe At Seventeen, but this song I already knew and loved both in the original version and Celine's version for a long time. That's another thing I don't get: ok, she wanted some covers. But why put the covers she's already sang a lot and that we already knew very well in her version? Why not find some new songs to cover? I have listened to the full album once, but I already knew most of the songs (LMBTL, SLS, WAAF, DKL, Incredible and all the covers) before and had listened to them quite a few times. I might change my mind on some of the songs after I listen to them more. But still... there's nothing memorable in there, in my opinion. No song to totally obsess me like it happend with all her previous albums before (except Sans Attendre, which I also think it's her worst French album since before Incognito). I remember I listened almost exclusivly to Taking Chances for months! I'm a bit sad.... Still, the good point: her voice is just freaking unbelievable! It just seems to get better and better and better with age. I like it how she plays with it a lot on this album (though sometimes it gets a bit too nasal on purpose). I just think that voice deserves better songs. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like writers have given her leftovers from Adele/Rihanna albums...She makes the best of it... I would love it if she'd work more with Eg White. I love what they have done together and I think that if Eg White put his mind to it and work on an entire album with her, writing songs especially for her etc, he could be a sort of Jean-Jacques Goldman for her English records. 3 Quote
Davey84 Posted November 1, 2013 at 12:46 PM Posted November 1, 2013 at 12:46 PM I so love to read your reviews but I so hate all the abbreviations ^^° .Come on guys, the album is brand n5ew.Can we not stick to the real song titles for let's say like "two months" or so I followed the tracklist of the album... so those abbrevations should be easy to pick up! Live and learn 3 Quote http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v75/daveyh84/incognito198701_zpsaaootxh1.jpgRick, ik hou van jou voor altijd!A New Day... has come 28/29 April & 2/3 May 07Antwerpen 13 et 14 mai,Paris 24 et 25 mai, Amsterdam 2 juinet Arras 7 juillet Chances Taken!!!How Do You Keep The Music Playing? - Celine Opening Night March 15th, March 16th
LukeD Posted November 1, 2013 at 12:54 PM Posted November 1, 2013 at 12:54 PM Νοt to be shady or annoying, but I don't see how the album 'Celine Dion' is considered coherent among fans. Surely it has an introduction and probably an outro too since 'Nothing broken but my heart' nicely fades away, but other than that the album is just a bag of ballads somehow balanced with 3 up-tempo songs. The sequence is rather average going from the desperate and sad 'If you could see me now' to the romantic 'Halfway to heaven'. The only English album of her discography that is really coherent to me and has its very own theme/message is 'A New Day Has Come'. 'Falling Into You' (which I don't like) has great track sequence and is very formulaic and carefully structured. 'Loved Me Back To Life' is right up there with 'A New Day Has Come', in my opinion. 2 Quote
MistaChanel Posted November 1, 2013 at 01:14 PM Posted November 1, 2013 at 01:14 PM Loved Me Back To Life:I think it is a great way to open the album with because it is very different to what we know from Céline. I would have prefered another song as the first single though. Somebody Loves Somebody:This song is just amazing. It's a song I can listen to over and over again, especially the high notes at the end. It feels fresh, but it's still Céline. My favourite song! Incredible:At first, I didn't like the song because the lyrics are somewhat lush... But the song is very catchy and Céline's and Ne-Yo's voice are a good match. Really interested whether this is really going to be the Olympics's anthem. Water And A Flame:I absolutely love the song. Céline's version is so amazing. Even if she "borrows the story", she owns the song! I love the way she is singing the harsh notes and is then somehow 'fragile'. Breakaway:Absolutely amazing song. I love how there's like "little or no music", but just the words. it seems she tried to do it the way the original singer did it! Brilliant! Save Your Soul:I don't lnow what to think about that song. In my opinion, it does not fit to the other songs of the album. The chorus itself doesn't fit to the rest of the song. Not one of my faves, but not a "have to skip" one either. Didn't Know Love:It such a wonderful ballad. I would have imagined the song to be very different from what we have once seen in that American show. I love her deep voice and the way how the song always slows down after the chorus! Thank You:Good song, but not amazing. It has a nice flow. Overjoyed:Not a fan... I am somehow disturbed by Stevie Wonder's voice. Moreover, the intro sounds like Christmas jingle bells This is one of her lamest if not the lamest duet ever! Thankful:The bridge close to the end is just like paradise! Absolutely love it! At Seventeen:The song is okay, but nothing special to me, although Céline can relate to it. Always Be Your Girl:Such a wonderful song. The lyrics are so beautiul and when Céline sings them, it sounds as if she was about to start criying. Unfinished Songs:It is amazing how they changed the song. It sounds so fresh and relevant. When the music kicks in, the song's getting faster and it doesn't sound any lame like the original version. My second favourite song on the album! It is also a great way to end the album with because it's kinda like "to be continued". How Do You Keep The Music Playing:This song is just so Céline. It is the perfect song for her. So Classy. Lullabye (Goodnight, My Angel):Okayish, nothing particularly amazing to me, but still better than Overjoyed and Save Your Soul. All in all, I really love the album. Initially, the previews made me think that the album would be very slowish, but it is a good mix of ballads, mid-tempo and uptempo songs. I am still sad that we didn't get Open Arms and that the booklet has so few pictures... The multi-Céline image with her golden dress is amazing, but the black and phite photography is pretty lame. The postcard images are also quite boring, with the exception of the 'flying hair' one, which make her look fierce! 2 Quote RIVER DEEP, MOUNTAIN HIGH - OH HOW I LOVE YOU BABY!
nature boy Posted November 1, 2013 at 01:37 PM Posted November 1, 2013 at 01:37 PM A song I never mentioned was Always Be Your Girl. LOVE IT! Lyrics and vocals are beautiful, and I believe EVERY word. 1 Quote http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/3239/kylieima5lp9.jpg How do you describe a feeling??
ghazal Posted November 1, 2013 at 02:25 PM Posted November 1, 2013 at 02:25 PM I listened to thank you and breakaway. And I really liked them. I think the whole album is really cool and amazing. THANK YOU celine Quote
gafsa Posted November 1, 2013 at 02:27 PM Posted November 1, 2013 at 02:27 PM (edited) After listened to the HQ i love it even more. I'm begining to like Thankyou. But i still hate the two bonus track. Edited November 1, 2013 at 02:28 PM by gafsa Quote
Mudo Posted November 1, 2013 at 03:00 PM Posted November 1, 2013 at 03:00 PM Dana didnt write Thank You. She wrote Thankful. :-) u got a little confused there. I wrote Dana's name under TF=Thankful and ABYG=Always be your girl; I thought Thank you would turn out like Thankful for "Thank part" in it but they are 2 seperate songs; my only complaint about this album is ABYG, this song was written by Dana that also wrote Thankful and the ending of both songs are very similar, yet the ending works for Thankful but not for Always Be Your Girl Quote
Javito Posted November 1, 2013 at 03:10 PM Posted November 1, 2013 at 03:10 PM Νοt to be shady or annoying, but I don't see how the album 'Celine Dion' is considered coherent among fans. Surely it has an introduction and probably an outro too since 'Nothing broken but my heart' nicely fades away, but other than that the album is just a bag of ballads somehow balanced with 3 up-tempo songs. The sequence is rather average going from the desperate and sad 'If you could see me now' to the romantic 'Halfway to heaven'. The only English album of her discography that is really coherent to me and has its very own theme/message is 'A New Day Has Come'. 'Falling Into You' (which I don't like) has great track sequence and is very formulaic and carefully structured. 'Loved Me Back To Life' is right up there with 'A New Day Has Come', in my opinion. Marry me. 1 Quote "Hush, now... I see a light in the sky"
Alex_Incognito Posted November 1, 2013 at 03:14 PM Posted November 1, 2013 at 03:14 PM 1 Quote "People pay 20-25 dollars to see you."- Céline Dion, 1990
gafsa Posted November 1, 2013 at 03:22 PM Posted November 1, 2013 at 03:22 PM Marry me. He's already taken 1 Quote
Jessyka Posted November 1, 2013 at 03:33 PM Posted November 1, 2013 at 03:33 PM LMBTL has just become my favorite album from Celine. With all the other albums, there are always a few songs I don't like in the middle of songs I love, but I love all the songs on LMBTL, there's only one I don't really care about which is Overjoyed. 3 Quote http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff5/backup674/Banners/Image1.jpg
sourdumpling Posted November 1, 2013 at 03:44 PM Posted November 1, 2013 at 03:44 PM (edited) After listened to the HQ i love it even more. I'm begining to like Thankyou. But i still hate the two bonus track.super hate them too!!! what if there are people get really excited about SLS and Incredible and go download the deluxe edition only to find out these two extremly boring songs!!?? they just totally smash the "celine is really changing" thing. they can put out a album full of these show tracks..but not in the NEW album!! Edited November 1, 2013 at 03:46 PM by sourdumpling 2 Quote
Javito Posted November 1, 2013 at 03:52 PM Posted November 1, 2013 at 03:52 PM (edited) super hate them too!!! what if there are people get really excited about SLS and Incredible and go download the deluxe edition only to find out these two extremly boring songs!!?? they just totally smash the "celine is really changing" thing. they can put out a album full of these show tracks..but not in the NEW album!! So that's basically what I've been saying and thought the very first moment they said the album would mix new songs with Vegas covers, like 2 years ago , and especially after reading here that barely no fan thinks that Overjoyed fits in the album! We rarely see a general consensus when it comes to decide if a Celine song has to be here or there in an album, and I'm reading constantly opinions that say that Overjoyed has nothing to do in this album. It could have been worse of course, we could have had 6-7 Vegas covers in the standard tracklist instead of only two (like it was originally planned), but I can't stop thinking the space that these 4 covers have stolen to some other fresh and great original new songs. I guess they've never heard of what they say, "give to Caesars (Palace ) what belongs to Caesars, and to God what belongs to God" And closing the deluxe edition with those 2 Vegas tracks, okay, another blunder here. Fortunately the standard edition ends with Unfinished Songs, and that should be considered the closing track of this album, not those 2 boring bonus tracks? Edited November 1, 2013 at 03:53 PM by Javito 1 Quote "Hush, now... I see a light in the sky"
sourdumpling Posted November 1, 2013 at 04:12 PM Posted November 1, 2013 at 04:12 PM (edited) So that's basically what I've been saying and thought the very first moment they said the album would mix new songs with Vegas covers, like 2 years ago , and especially after reading here that barely no fan thinks that Overjoyed fits in the album! We rarely see a general consensus when it comes to decide if a Celine song has to be here or there in an album, and I'm reading constantly opinions that say that Overjoyed has nothing to do in this album. It could have been worse of course, we could have had 6-7 Vegas covers in the standard tracklist instead of only two (like it was originally planned), but I can't stop thinking the space that these 4 covers have stolen to some other fresh and great original new songs. I guess they've never heard of what they say, "give to Caesars (Palace ) what belongs to Caesars, and to God what belongs to God" And closing the deluxe edition with those 2 Vegas tracks, okay, another blunder here. Fortunately the standard edition ends with Unfinished Songs, and that should be considered the closing track of this album, not those 2 boring bonus tracks?agreed. you can check the pre-released thread and see the original track list in page 1. its a complete disaster, thank god they changed their mind. we are luck to get these tracks now, though not 100% satisfying, but acceptable. however, those two bonus track is outrageous! they are supposed to be surprising and fresh, not hypnotizing, people are going to regret purchursing these who extra songs. they should put some alert mark behind these two songs, like "be careful! super boring material" they are not bad songs, just dont fit the album. Edited November 1, 2013 at 04:14 PM by sourdumpling 1 Quote
gafsa Posted November 1, 2013 at 04:17 PM Posted November 1, 2013 at 04:17 PM I wrote Dana's name under TF=Thankful and ABYG=Always be your girl; I thought Thank you would turn out like Thankful for "Thank part" in it but they are 2 seperate songs; my only complaint about this album is ABYG, this song was written by Dana that also wrote Thankful and the ending of both songs are very similar, yet the ending works for Thankful but not for Always Be Your Girl You wrote Dana's name under TY which is stand for Thank You written by Ne-yo Quote
gafsa Posted November 1, 2013 at 04:24 PM Posted November 1, 2013 at 04:24 PM agreed. you can check the pre-released thread and see the original track list in page 1. its a complete disaster, thank god they changed their mind. we are luck to get these tracks now, though not 100% satisfying, but acceptable. however, those two bonus track is outrageous! they are supposed to be surprising and fresh, not hypnotizing, people are going to regret purchursing these who extra songs. they should put some alert mark behind these two songs, like "be careful! super boring material" they are not bad songs, just dont fit the album. LoL for alert mark. HdYKMP is an ok anyway, her voice is beautiful but not for this album even just a bonus track. I wouldnt mind not to have those songs. Why don't the jus put a remix for bonus instead of insist tu put the vegas cover. It ruin the mood. 1 Quote
sourdumpling Posted November 1, 2013 at 04:35 PM Posted November 1, 2013 at 04:35 PM LoL for alert mark. HdYKMP is an ok anyway, her voice is beautiful but not for this album even just a bonus track. I wouldnt mind not to have those songs. Why don't the jus put a remix for bonus instead of insist tu put the vegas cover. It ruin the mood.i guess the idea of clinging to these old covers indicates rene is trying too hard to keep her old fanbase. but he fails to see that even old fans want new materials as well. peope evolve! two old cover songs would be enough. they did well in the standard ediion by covering two old songs. and the two relatively new cover songs end up pretty amazing! how on earth would they put another two old covers in the deluxe edition? its not deluxe, its mind-destroying. 1 Quote
nature boy Posted November 1, 2013 at 04:51 PM Posted November 1, 2013 at 04:51 PM (edited) The easy solution then is for everyone to buy the standard edition. ;-) Edited November 1, 2013 at 04:51 PM by nature boy 1 Quote http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/3239/kylieima5lp9.jpg How do you describe a feeling??
québecflower Posted November 1, 2013 at 04:55 PM Posted November 1, 2013 at 04:55 PM they could have put an up beat song in the second part, beside that, the album is great. No need to say that she is doing covers over and over, we all know that. 3 Quote Plus qu'ailleurs , but now Si c'était à refaire , i still love tant de temps....
gafsa Posted November 1, 2013 at 05:03 PM Posted November 1, 2013 at 05:03 PM (edited) The easy solution then is for everyone to buy the standard edition. ;-) Here only available the deluxe edition, same with SA only have one edition that have 16 track with or without bonus Calendar and it didnt even mention that the last two track is a bonus track. And to order from Amazon is expensive for the shipment. Edited November 1, 2013 at 05:08 PM by gafsa Quote
Modesta Posted November 1, 2013 at 05:10 PM Posted November 1, 2013 at 05:10 PM I've only listened to the album two times through, so these are my first impressions LMBTLLove it! Loved it from the day I first heard it. I just wish the big note was the way she does it live, with the high falsetto SLSLove the verses, Love the attitude. The chorus is a bit weird though. The beginning and the verses kinda imply a more darker song.. But I love the way she sings the chorus real subtle.. I think this one is a grower IncredibleNot for me, R&B is not my cup of tea. And what's with the distorted piano?? For a while I thought my stereo was broken.. Oh, and Neyo was right - what do they need his voice for But that's how I always feel about Celine's duets.. Except with Garou, Marc Dupre and JJG, they all have a distinct rougher sound that is a great contrast to Celine's voice WAAFHate to admit it, but this one is one of my favorites! Celine does a great job. Her voice is at the same time gritty but extremely powerful! BreakawayI've felt this. This is the song I would have needed years ago to breakaway. Love it. Love it. SYSKinda seems like a filler, but on the other hand she plays with her voice, which I like.The hey's at the end remind me of moi quand je pleure. But otherwise it's not as good. DKLI've felt this one as well. I feel it now one of my favorites.TYBeginning -- TTWII. This is for my man Thank you. Overjoyed.Classic. Call me old fashioned, but I love it when she does the classics. I'd even like her to cover more Sinatra etc And I love Stevie wonder's voice. Honestly, I prefer this to Incredible. I guess I love the contrasting voices, the purity of hers and the roughness of his are accentuated in a great way. ThankfulPowerful. This is the way you feel when you recover from depression. You can catch the rainbows falling down after you stop spinninf round and round... Believe me, I know. A17I love this. I can relate to the lyrics so well. I love her voice and the melody. It's such a beautiful song. And the emotion is real in her voice as well, she's been through it. I guess I like this one the best. ABYGI love the melody. There are beautiful bits in the lyrics. "I can melt the drops of freezing rain" But is this another song to her kids? I can imagine singing this to my own, if I ever have one... USI liked the original much better!! I love the lyrics, I love her voice, but what the ??? is going on with the instrumentals?? Definitely prefer the movie version. 4 Quote
dmeredith Posted November 1, 2013 at 05:30 PM Posted November 1, 2013 at 05:30 PM I haven't heard the whole album yet, but I have listened to HDYKTMP (which is a bonus song). I love that song! I've heard it several times in Vegas, and I think that it's beautiful. I am in the older fan base. I do love new material, but I still like having HDYKTMP on the deluxe version. There's no way that Celine is going to make every single person in the world happy with each and every song choice. When we go to restaurants, there are always a few food choices that we like on the menu and some that we don't. I wouldn't say that it's not a good restaurant due to a few items that I don't like tho'. There might end up being a song or two on the CD that aren't my favorites, but that doesn't mean that I'm going to criticize it. We all have differents likes and dislikes. I'm just thrilled to be getting the new CD!!! I think that it's going to be fabulous!!! 5 Quote
LuisMa Posted November 1, 2013 at 05:35 PM Posted November 1, 2013 at 05:35 PM He's already taken Polygamy isn't accepted in Greece either. 1 Quote
Modesta Posted November 1, 2013 at 06:40 PM Posted November 1, 2013 at 06:40 PM SLS Definitely a grower Fourth time -- LOVE IT! (or maybe it's the fourth glass of wine......) 2 Quote
Javito Posted November 1, 2013 at 07:16 PM Posted November 1, 2013 at 07:16 PM i guess the idea of clinging to these old covers indicates rene is trying too hard to keep her old fanbase. but he fails to see that even old fans want new materials as well. peope evolve! two old cover songs would be enough. they did well in the standard ediion by covering two old songs. and the two relatively new cover songs end up pretty amazing! how on earth would they put another two old covers in the deluxe edition? its not deluxe, its mind-destroying. LMAO! That's what I think, and I've not even listened the songs. But closing the album with such too slow and outdated songs in an album that pretends to be modern and freshen up Céline's style is just a HUUUUGE contradictory. Their too contradictory lately in fact with what they do The easy solution then is for everyone to buy the standard edition. ;-) Main problem is that for example in my country we will only have the Deluxe edition (maybe the standard will come but months later), so we can't choose 1 Quote "Hush, now... I see a light in the sky"
nature boy Posted November 1, 2013 at 07:22 PM Posted November 1, 2013 at 07:22 PM Really? I suppose in one way only having the deluxe edition to buy, ain't a bad problem ;-). Quote http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/3239/kylieima5lp9.jpg How do you describe a feeling??
Dionism Posted November 1, 2013 at 07:41 PM Posted November 1, 2013 at 07:41 PM OK...sigh... how will I put this... Well... a a ai. a a ai ai, a a a aaaaai! eeh eeh eeh, oh oh oh! I remember every time I listened to a new Celine album for the first time, and the experience always was uplifting to me. Up until today that is.This is the first time that listening to a new album of hers didn't bring me this experience, actually it left me even irritated. Celine Dion was kind of 'the last woman standing' of her genre, and now, when it comes to her English career, it seems she has fallen and surrendered. That is how I see it. I liked the second song, although I find the eeh eeh eeh very annoying. But when it comes to the rest... The song Incredible, for example, it sounds cheap, it could just as well have been a song from Hannah Montana. The music on the rest of the album sounds very uninspired, cheap often times. And then her singing. Although her voice is in very good shape...her singing technique is forced, it sounds fake, like an act, and it is annoying to me. The lyrics don't sound heartfelt and convincing, they are clearly not written for her. She wanted to sound like the younger singers, well she succeeded, she sounds just like all the other zilllion singers out there, not unique anymore, not like herself. The covers sound awkward, and I wouldn't say because of the songs, which are nice timeless songs in itself, but her singing is so uninspired. Sometimes, in a syllable, you here the beautiful voice come out again, so the only way I'll be listening to these songs is at random, mixed with her other repertoire, and I'll enjoy these few moments of recognition, but listening to the album in its entirety again...no, not for me, thanks. Now, back to her old repertoire...and thank heavens for Sans Attendre, at least Céline Dion in French is still Céline Dion. 1 Quote
Peppercorn1991 Posted November 1, 2013 at 07:51 PM Posted November 1, 2013 at 07:51 PM OK...sigh... how will I put this... Well... a a ai. a a ai ai, a a a aaaaai! eeh eeh eeh, oh oh oh! I remember every time I listened to a new Celine album for the first time, and the experience always was uplifting to me. Up until today that is.This is the first time that listening to a new album of hers didn't bring me this experience, actually it left me even irritated. Celine Dion was kind of 'the last woman standing' of her genre, and now, when it comes to her English career, it seems she has fallen and surrendered. That is how I see it. I liked the second song, although I find the eeh eeh eeh very annoying. But when it comes to the rest... The song Incredible, for example, it sounds cheap, it could just as well have been a song from Hannah Montana. The music on the rest of the album sounds very uninspired, cheap often times. And then her singing. Although her voice is in very good shape...her singing technique is forced, it sounds fake, like an act, and it is annoying to me. The lyrics don't sound heartfelt and convincing, they are clearly not written for her. She wanted to sound like the younger singers, well she succeeded, she sounds just like all the other zilllion singers out there, not unique anymore, not like herself. The covers sound awkward, and I wouldn't say because of the songs, which are nice timeless songs in itself, but her singing is so uninspired. Sometimes, in a syllable, you here the beautiful voice come out again, so the only way I'll be listening to these songs is at random, mixed with her other repertoire, and I'll enjoy these few moments of recognition, but listening to the album in its entirety again...no, not for me, thanks. Now, back to her old repertoire...and thank heavens for Sans Attendre, at least Céline Dion in French is still Céline Dion. Wow sorry u had that experience.... To me it's still the same celine I've always listened too.... Just up to date.. Don't like seeing fans being disappointed... Hope u warm up to it Kev x 1 Quote
Dionism Posted November 1, 2013 at 08:01 PM Posted November 1, 2013 at 08:01 PM Thanks for your sympathy, Kev! haha! It's not the end of the world though... I still have Sans Attendre and all her other albums... Although it would have been nice to have a new English album playing on repeat, but not this time. 1 Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.