Pangloss76 Posted October 8, 2013 at 06:44 AM Posted October 8, 2013 at 06:44 AM It's sooo hard to choose! To me the Celine Dion album is the finest one. We could totally tell with that one which road she was going to take to reach stardom: class and divaness. Unlike Unison which sounded much more maintstream, Celine Dion is far more "Ballad oriented", but not in a negative way. None of the songs are shallow nor boring despite the slow pace of this album. Celine sings about sad love wich gives so much depth to her music. NBBMH, WFTM, WTT are real masterpieces. Even the dance tunes are genuine (unlike some of her TCOML cheesy up-tempos). DYGEL is one of her best up-tempo songs to date to me. This being said, I have a special feeling for FIY which was the first record I was bought. A friend of mine offered me the audio tape album when I was about 12. And that's how it all started. I fell in love with her voice, her music and the rest is history lol. 1 Quote
gafsa Posted October 8, 2013 at 07:11 AM Posted October 8, 2013 at 07:11 AM lol maybe cause of the songs One Heart and Coulda Woulda Shoulda And sorry for love and have you ever been in love Quote
Esty Posted October 8, 2013 at 08:43 AM Posted October 8, 2013 at 08:43 AM For me it's impossible to chose one or even five for that matter. Also I could never compare the English and French albums. They're so different. If I had to chose an English album I would go for Celine Dion,Falling Into You, A New Day Has Come and Taking Chances. I'm cheating, I know. Concerning the French ones I like each single one starting with Dion Chante Plamodon and every French album since then.All in all, I couldn't vote. 1 Quote
garçon Posted October 8, 2013 at 09:29 AM Author Posted October 8, 2013 at 09:29 AM Just in reply to anyone hinting for a separate poll of French and English albums; be my guest to start one. Here is just a different question underlying just this poll.She is arguably ONE artist, with ONE oeuvre. If you were to think of her artistry, her legacy, just singling-out the quality of each individual album bearing her name, choose which one would be the best and most representative. Maybe it's hard for English or French native speakers to imagine the equivalence of singing in one of both languages. In other words: both languages are equally exchangeable if you'll concentrate on the artistic quality of the album as such. Hope you get my point. Thus, when comparing quality language does not matter a priori. Maybe we conclude there's a difference in overall quality when comparing her French and English language materials. However that would be a conclusion to draw only after broader comparisons. Possibly after this poll. 3 Quote
justinecoria Posted October 8, 2013 at 01:33 PM Posted October 8, 2013 at 01:33 PM Why spending time to read my comments in order to tell who the ignorant is, when you could have easily taken a look at the nearest mirror? You should correct your sig by the way. You're probably one of those who say that this sentence is so beautiful in French, so profound, when they actually don't understand anything about it. Quote
celine_boyfriend Posted October 8, 2013 at 02:28 PM Posted October 8, 2013 at 02:28 PM Lets talk about love and falling into u Quote Celestial Goddess of Music
celinecolombian Posted October 8, 2013 at 03:38 PM Posted October 8, 2013 at 03:38 PM Let's Talk About Love is my fav album ever! It is so hard to choose only one... I love them all!!! In the poll I chose LTAL, but I have to name: D'eux, Falling Into You, A New Day Has Come. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/48/Lets_talk_about_love.jpg 1 Quote
LukeD Posted October 8, 2013 at 04:39 PM Posted October 8, 2013 at 04:39 PM (edited) You should correct your sig by the way. You're probably one of those who say that this sentence is so beautiful in French, so profound, when they actually don't understand anything about it. LOL @ you going out of topic and deciding to start bitching about my French now. I know the exact meaning of the words, but French is not my native language. On S'est Aime A Cause is my favorite French song and I know the lyrics/translation/meaning by heart. The song is about how loving between two people might change over the years since difficulties are added to the initial easy-going romance and the phrase I use as my signature (The climax of the song's lyrical content) sums up that true love is achieved when we love the other person because of (not just ''in spite of'') these obstacles that might stand in the way. I should also inform you (Although I thought a 27 years old should have known) that grammar mistakes are not correlated to comprehension skills. You missed that too. Now go find some real hobby other than forum bitching. What you do is sad. And you're not even good at it. Edited October 8, 2013 at 04:40 PM by LukeD 3 Quote
garçon Posted October 8, 2013 at 07:40 PM Author Posted October 8, 2013 at 07:40 PM Exactly. There is nothing wrong with the vocals on A New Day Has Come. Quite the opposite, actually. I haven't heard one belted note that is pushed in the entire album. First of all, let's stop bitching, seriously. On the other hand, some fire in discussions is highly welcomed by me. To reply to your comment: there is nothing WRONG with the vocals. Far from that. This is a core album by the best female singer in pop history. It's just that she sings more squeezed, more nasal, less 'open'. These are lesser qualities if you were to evaluate her in a classical way. Like the high/big note in Tina Turner's Goldeneye. Great note. Powerful. Really cool. Though: a really bad note from a more classical - academic perspective. That note is not free. Quote
Javito Posted October 8, 2013 at 08:25 PM Posted October 8, 2013 at 08:25 PM I'm not any expert, I don't see any nasality at all on ANDHC, not even in One Heart. But if this album was nasal I don't even want to know how nasal Sans Attendre sounds in every note from start to end (and it has been praised to have her best voice since 2003) 2 Quote "Hush, now... I see a light in the sky"
LuisMa Posted October 8, 2013 at 08:31 PM Posted October 8, 2013 at 08:31 PM I'm not any expert, I don't see any nasality at all on ANDHC, not even in One Heart. But if this album was nasal I don't even want to know how nasal Sans Attendre sounds in every note from start to end (and it has been praised to have her best voice since 2003) Me neither. I might also have problems with hearing, but I can really detect nasality in Oprah's BYLM performance, for example, which I hate. Or in some Taking Chances live performances. But I don't feel it in ANDHC at all; probably a bit on Coulda Woulda Shoulda (But I love it ) or Naked. 3 Quote
LukeD Posted October 8, 2013 at 08:49 PM Posted October 8, 2013 at 08:49 PM (edited) First of all, let's stop bitching, seriously.On the other hand, some fire in discussions is highly welcomed by me. To reply to your comment: there is nothing WRONG with the vocals. Far from that. This is a core album by the best female singer in pop history.It's just that she sings more squeezed, more nasal, less 'open'. These are lesser qualities if you were to evaluate her in a classical way.Like the high/big note in Tina Turner's Goldeneye. Great note. Powerful. Really cool. Though: a really bad note from a more classical - academic perspective. That note is not free. In other words you would agree with what I said that Celine had many ''not free'' notes in her ''Falling Into You'' album? I'm talking about the F5 note in ''All By Myself'', the F5 in ''River Deep-Mountain High'', the D5 in ''Call The Man'', the Eb5 in ''Seduces Me'' (''I fall down on my knees''), high notes in ''Declaration Of Love'' & ''Fly'' (''Above the universe you'll climb'') which are all strained, the first two almost screamed. Intentional or not (some say she did it on purpose to give a raw feeling to these recordings) it is a mistake, as she was raising her larynx to hit the notes, instead of keeping a neutral larynx and not losing resonance. Regarding the belted notes in ''A New Day Has Come'' I can't find one that sounds average or bad, maybe except for the short G#5 in ''Sorry For Love'' (''I'm not sooooory''). The long note in ''I Surrender'' is one of the finest sustained notes I have ever listened to, same goes for the crystal clear notes (Eb5s I think) in ''Aun Existe Amor'', ''Goodbye (The Saddest Word)'', ''The Greatest Reward''. Maybe she was in a bit less good shape, but her technique was much better than her ''Falling Into You'' days. Edited October 8, 2013 at 08:54 PM by LukeD 1 Quote
LukeD Posted October 8, 2013 at 08:53 PM Posted October 8, 2013 at 08:53 PM I'm not any expert, I don't see any nasality at all on ANDHC, not even in One Heart. But if this album was nasal I don't even want to know how nasal Sans Attendre sounds in every note from start to end (and it has been praised to have her best voice since 2003) The only nasal albums are her early 80s ones + Miracle. Other than that there are a few songs in ''Taking Chances'' which sound average. ''Sans Attendre'' is fine too! Quote
garçon Posted October 8, 2013 at 09:34 PM Author Posted October 8, 2013 at 09:34 PM In other words you would agree with what I said that Celine had many ''not free'' notes in her ''Falling Into You'' album? I'm talking about the F5 note in ''All By Myself'', the F5 in ''River Deep-Mountain High'', the D5 in ''Call The Man'', the Eb5 in ''Seduces Me'' (''I fall down on my knees''), high notes in ''Declaration Of Love'' & ''Fly'' (''Above the universe you'll climb'') which are all strained, the first two almost screamed. Intentional or not (some say she did it on purpose to give a raw feeling to these recordings) it is a mistake, as she was raising her larynx to hit the notes, instead of keeping a neutral larynx and not losing resonance. Regarding the belted notes in ''A New Day Has Come'' I can't find one that sounds average or bad, maybe except for the short G#5 in ''Sorry For Love'' (''I'm not sooooory''). The long note in ''I Surrender'' is one of the finest sustained notes I have ever listened to, same goes for the crystal clear notes (Eb5s I think) in ''Aun Existe Amor'', ''Goodbye (The Saddest Word)'', ''The Greatest Reward''. Maybe she was in a bit less good shape, but her technique was much better than her ''Falling Into You'' days. Yes, I agree with your notions on these notes in FIY. I believe she couldn't but strain on these places, for she never sang these notes openly using this range. She notes you mention from ANDHC are indeed open, though I'm not to sure about all melismas in I Surrender. Especially HYEBIL is a nasal, squeezed and strained mess, which doesn't mean I don't like her performance btw. Overall: her timbre/tone is less clear throughout ANDHC. On the other hand, she could still go wherever she wanted. Besides, could someone please take her set for All the way into account?? Then You Look At Me and The First Time are true pearls, when it comes to singing purely and applying open notes. Quote
LukeD Posted October 9, 2013 at 01:57 AM Posted October 9, 2013 at 01:57 AM Yes, I agree with your notions on these notes in FIY. I believe she couldn't but strain on these places, for she never sang these notes openly using this range. What do you mean? That she had never sang D5-F5 before? I also don't get the ''using this range'' part. Quote
gafsa Posted October 9, 2013 at 02:43 AM Posted October 9, 2013 at 02:43 AM Thanks God i'm not an expert nor a biggest fan of her so i could enjoy all of her album without over analyzing note to note every song. 5 Quote
DionFanAlways Posted October 9, 2013 at 02:54 AM Posted October 9, 2013 at 02:54 AM Thanks God i'm not an expert nor a biggest fan of her so i could enjoy all of her album without over analyzing note to note every song.Very well said. Quote I have had the time of my life following this woman! Much love.
LukeD Posted October 9, 2013 at 04:51 AM Posted October 9, 2013 at 04:51 AM Thanks God i'm not an expert nor a biggest fan of her so i could enjoy all of her album without over analyzing note to note every song. Knowing some things about vocals is not necessarily correlated to whether one will enjoy her recordings or not. garcon said twice he enjoys her songs no matter the technique/singing style. I pretty much agree with this, hence I listen to Rihanna who is not much of a singer. Quote
garçon Posted October 9, 2013 at 08:47 AM Author Posted October 9, 2013 at 08:47 AM What do you mean? That she had never sang D5-F5 before? I also don't get the ''using this range'' part.Thanks God i'm not an expert nor a biggest fan of her so i could enjoy all of her album without over analyzing note to note every song.Very well said.Knowing some things about vocals is not necessarily correlated to whether one will enjoy her recordings or not. garcon said twice he enjoys her songs no matter the technique/singing style. I pretty much agree with this, hence I listen to Rihanna who is not much of a singer. I agree with all three of you. We should consider the difficulty of discussions these sings via this forum, communicating in foreign language etcetera. My main point is: Celine and the producer involved chose certain not really classical singing styles on significant places throughout - for example - FIY (which happened to become her most beloved album, as you can see from the results of this very poll). The concrete examples are mentioned by LukeD in a previous post. My secondary point: later on in her career, ever since Las Vegas actually, her voice changed (according to some people she voice lost quality, however she did NOT become a lesser singer). This development -so to say- caused her to flatten important notes more often, as well as singing nasal more often. On the other hand, one could appreciate the 'strainedness' - a la Tina Turner - perfectly. 2 Quote
LuisMa Posted October 10, 2013 at 12:36 PM Posted October 10, 2013 at 12:36 PM (edited) This topic has made me go back and listen to all the albums back to back. Not that I don't listen to her songs, but I always mix or shuffle or listen to other music as well. But I went back and did that in order to go back and relive some moments. I even remembered some stuff that a few songs brought back to mind. I have also been trying to analyze certain aspects you guys have said about albums or songs in particular. And I've learned a thing or two from that. Thank you! Edited October 10, 2013 at 12:36 PM by LuisMa 3 Quote
gafsa Posted October 10, 2013 at 02:03 PM Posted October 10, 2013 at 02:03 PM This topic has made me go back and listen to all the albums back to back. Not that I don't listen to her songs, but I always mix or shuffle or listen to other music as well. But I went back and did that in order to go back and relive some moments. I even remembered some stuff that a few songs brought back to mind. I have also been trying to analyze certain aspects you guys have said about albums or songs in particular. And I've learned a thing or two from that. Thank you! Me too, it makes me fall in love again with S'ill Suffisat D'aimer album. I remmember those day when i first listen to that album i have no idea what she talking about but i kove evry song. 1 Quote
Javito Posted October 10, 2013 at 07:05 PM Posted October 10, 2013 at 07:05 PM Hush... Now... Just another edition I got of my favourite album today, which features the full artwork photo of the cover :in_love: 3 Quote "Hush, now... I see a light in the sky"
LuisMa Posted October 10, 2013 at 07:11 PM Posted October 10, 2013 at 07:11 PM I bet this is the 342534513432nd copy of that album you have in your possession, Javis. But good for you! It's awesome when you get something you really really love! 2 Quote
LukeD Posted October 10, 2013 at 08:17 PM Posted October 10, 2013 at 08:17 PM Hush... Now... Just another edition I got of my favourite album today, which features the full artwork photo of the cover :in_love: Looks fantastic! I love the sea/sky backround, more of her covers should look like this. It is usually her face and a studio made font behind it, most times of 1 colour. 1 Quote
Javito Posted October 10, 2013 at 09:02 PM Posted October 10, 2013 at 09:02 PM Looks fantastic! I love the sea/sky backround, more of her covers should look like this. It is usually her face and a studio made font behind it, most times of 1 colour. That's another reason why I also love this album's cover And that's also the reason why I don't like the new english album cover. She's done that like 17 times already for her album covers 2 Quote "Hush, now... I see a light in the sky"
LukeD Posted October 10, 2013 at 09:16 PM Posted October 10, 2013 at 09:16 PM (edited) That's another reason why I also love this album's cover And that's also the reason why I don't like the new english album cover. She's done that like 17 times already for her album covers Loved Me Back To Life album cover looks like Unison, D'elles reminds me of Let's Talk About Love, One Heart has a similar pose to The Collector's Series Volume 1... Edited October 10, 2013 at 09:17 PM by LukeD Quote
Javito Posted October 10, 2013 at 09:45 PM Posted October 10, 2013 at 09:45 PM Loved Me Back To Life album cover looks like Unison, D'elles reminds me of Let's Talk About Love, One Heart has a similar pose to The Collector's Series Volume 1... Just look at the album covers of the decade 2003-2013 on her discography: only 1F&4T, the LILV and Miracle albums are full colour. That's 3 albums out of TEN. Of these you could say only 1f&4t and ANDLILV have a background behind Céline and not just an empty wall. The rest of albums are either in black and white (4 albums) or in sepia (On ne change pas). The TCWT live album could also be included in the b/w category because its all black if it wasn't for Céline's skin and hair lol, and Sans Attendre is full colour but its just a drawing... In a world of insipid album covers like this collection, ANDHC in 2002 is the only one that comes to provide some grace and colour to a whole decade in her discography Quote "Hush, now... I see a light in the sky"
fikus1 Posted October 12, 2013 at 11:31 PM Posted October 12, 2013 at 11:31 PM I couldn't make up my mind, because I love almost all of them, but yeah- there is definetely something special about A New Day Has Come. It is the first I had, actually! There's also Falling Into You, Let's Talk About Love. The first Celine's album I bought is One Heart, so it's also very important for me. I guess I adore every single french album since D'eux (I agree with Celine about D'elles ) Of course those recorded earlier are special as well, but...just my personal feelings 2 Quote
Taking Chances Posted October 13, 2013 at 09:20 AM Posted October 13, 2013 at 09:20 AM Hush... Now... Just another edition I got of my favourite album today, which features the full artwork photo of the cover :in_love: Loving this cover of A New Day Has Come. I made a couple of "Deluxe" (and regular for that matter) versions of LMBTL cover. I really think it looks so much better this way. Old logo, with the new font on "Loved Me Back To Life". If anyone want the full size of these covers, just let me know. I love playing around in Photoshop! http://i.imgur.com/d8TZnTS.png http://i.imgur.com/5HyniUY.png 4 Quote
Javito Posted October 13, 2013 at 09:23 AM Posted October 13, 2013 at 09:23 AM Definitely so much better than the official album cover Long life to the classic logo! 2 Quote "Hush, now... I see a light in the sky"
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.