Jump to content

Divas Live 98, unedited ?


Recommended Posts

Posted
For clarity — amy grant also appeared on this tribute album.
Posted

wow loved that video. One thing i have to say though: Carole King, She is a an amazing songwriter but oh when she opens her mouth..sorry she can’t sing, I am sorry. Or I do not like her voice, it is so..meh. Love these recording session videos and had not seen this video yet. Thankyou for sharing!

 

 

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

 

 

Omg! Carole’s “Tapestry” album is one of the most incredible pieces of work that was ever created!

  • Like 7

Matthew Charles - "Fix You" - Live at The Stonewall Inn

Stonewall Sensation - Season 15

Originally written and performed by Coldplay

Posted

 

 

I have vivid memories of watching this as a child.

 

Celine Dion + Amy Grant = my childhood

 

Celine and Amy were my childhood too! Now they’re my adulthood 😂

  • Like 1
Posted

 

 

 

Omg! Carole’s “Tapestry” album is one of the most incredible pieces of work that was ever created!

 

Agreed! Listened to Way Over Yonder just the other day 😁

  • Like 2
Posted

Carole also sang the theme song for the Gilmore Girls

 

 

She is a great songwriter but her voice is meh (like Goldman) Sorry.

  • Like 1
Posted

Omg! Carole's "Tapestry" album is one of the most incredible pieces of work that was ever created!

 

Agreed.

 

I finally got around to seeing Beautifull last night (the Broadway musical about her life), and man, it's pretty wild she had this incredible career as a songwriter while still in her teens.

What a time that was - where being a composer and a lyricist was its own (office!) job. And there's a reason why that was the case for the first few decades of the existence of modern pop music! Songwriting is a craft - much like any other - and being a great performer does not necessarily a good songwriter make.

I get so annoyed by these current claims that if you don't write your own material, you're not an artist. Most of today's singer-songwriters can do one of the other, but rarely do you find people who are great at both. Being a great performer is and art in an of itself, as is being a great composer or lyricist.

 

Anyway, last night I learned that the only Kylie Minogue song I know - Loco-motion - is actually a Carole King song, first recorded back in 1962!

She wrote so much stuff!

 

And yeah, I'd love a Celine bio-musical on stage one day - but not for another 15 years, at least!

  • Like 4
Posted

Nooo waayyy!! Hahah it's funny that what we think sometimes are originals, are old songs by others :giggle:

 

 

 

Anyway, last night I learned that the only Kylie Minogue song I know - Loco-motion - is actually a Carole King song, first recorded back in 1962!

She wrote so much stuff!

 

And yeah, I'd love a Celine bio-musical on stage one day - but not for another 15 years, at least!

Posted

 

 

Agreed.

 

I finally got around to seeing Beautifull last night (the Broadway musical about her life), and man, it's pretty wild she had this incredible career as a songwriter while still in her teens.

What a time that was - where being a composer and a lyricist was its own (office!) job. And there's a reason why that was the case for the first few decades of the existence of modern pop music! Songwriting is a craft - much like any other - and being a great performer does not necessarily a good songwriter make.

I get so annoyed by these current claims that if you don't write your own material, you're not an artist. Most of today's singer-songwriters can do one of the other, but rarely do you find people who are great at both. Being a great performer is and art in an of itself, as is being a great composer or lyricist.

 

Anyway, last night I learned that the only Kylie Minogue song I know - Loco-motion - is actually a Carole King song, first recorded back in 1962!

She wrote so much stuff!

 

And yeah, I'd love a Celine bio-musical on stage one day - but not for another 15 years, at least!

 

Lol yeah Carole wrote some of the most famous, covered songs! Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow, Up On The Roof, It’s Too Late and so many more. I definitely agree with Celine when she says songwriting is a job in itself.

Posted

Omg! Carole's "Tapestry" album is one of the most incredible pieces of work that was ever created!

It is a Masterpiece, no other words needed.
  • Like 1
I have had the time of my life following this woman! Much love.
Posted
It is a Masterpiece, no other words needed.
i will listen to the album and maybe my opinion changes. We'll see..

 

Verstuurd vanaf mijn U FEEL met Tapatalk

 

 

  • Like 1
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hl2XkxnYljg" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Posted

i will listen to the album and maybe my opinion changes. We'll see..

 

Verstuurd vanaf mijn U FEEL met Tapatalk

Ok just remember it's written in the early 70's so I hope you like it. If you also like James Taylor or say, Joni Mitchell then maybe you'll enjoy it. Story tellers with their songs. :)
I have had the time of my life following this woman! Much love.
Posted (edited)

Speaking of which, I really, really hope Celine sings something from Joni someday.

And not any of the obvious things - Big Yellow Taxi or Both Sides Now or Case of You (though love them all) - but maybe Circle Game? Or Morning Morgantown? I'd love that. :wub:

Edited by scielle
  • Like 3
Posted

Speaking of which, I really, really hope Celine sings something from Joni someday.

And not any of the obvious things - Big Yellow Taxi or Both Sides Now or Case of You (though love them all) - but maybe Circle Game? Or Morning Morgantown? I'd love that. :wub:

 

Wishful thinking, but someday I would love, love, love her to do a full cover album stuff from the '70s, especially singer-songwriters. Joni, Elton John, Cat Stevens, James Taylor, Stevie Wonder, Carly Simon, Fleetwood Mac, Carole King, etc. Songs that she really loves, with one great producer to oversee it all.

  • Like 1
Posted

 

 

Wishful thinking, but someday I would love, love, love her to do a full cover album stuff from the '70s, especially singer-songwriters. Joni, Elton John, Cat Stevens, James Taylor, Stevie Wonder, Carly Simon, Fleetwood Mac, Carole King, etc. Songs that she really loves, with one great producer to oversee it all.

 

 

I would LIVE for a studio cover of “Nobody’s Does It Better” by Carly Simon. Or “Give Me All Night” or “Let The River Run.” Omg. Anything from the “Clouds In My Coffee” album would probably make me urinate myself.

  • Like 1

Matthew Charles - "Fix You" - Live at The Stonewall Inn

Stonewall Sensation - Season 15

Originally written and performed by Coldplay

Posted (edited)

With the recent event, I was listening again to Céline cover of Natural Woman and the whole story of the recording session is quite interesting. :wub: Did not know she recorded in late 1994 (before getting married :wub: ) to be released only in Q4 1995 for the Tapestry Revisited album, and was a radio only single in North America ^_^

 

https://en.wikipedia...A_Natural_Woman

 

Celine Dion version[edit]

 

"(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman" was released as a promotional single by Celine Dion in November 1995 in North America and the United Kingdom.[12] It was featured on a tribute album to Carole King, called Tapestry Revisited: A Tribute to Carole King issued on October 24, 1995. Later, Dion included this track on most editions of her 1996 album Falling into You. The track was produced by David Foster. Dion's version enjoyed a moderate success on the adult contemporary charts, reaching number 4 in Canada and number 31 in the United States. In 2008, the song was featured on the US version of My Love: Ultimate Essential Collection. When Falling Into You won the Grammy for Album of the year in 1998, the song became the first to appear on two Album of the Year winners - following Tapestry's success in 1971.

 

On April 14, 1998, Dion, Aretha Franklin, Mariah Carey, Shania Twain, Gloria Estefan and Carole King performed the song during a VH1 Divas concert at the Beacon Theatre, New York. The six vocalists were recruited by the cable music network VH1 to raise money for Save the Music, their education charity. Hyped extensively in the press, the event was a ratings winner for VH1 – so successful, in fact, that the network arranged to have the concert released on disc and tape on October 6, 1998. At that time "(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman" (performed by all the divas) was released as a radio single in selected countries.

 

Weekly charts

Chart (1995–96)

Canada Top Singles (RPM) 47

Canada Adult Contemporary (RPM) 4

US Adult Contemporary (Billboard) 31

 

Year-end charts

Chart (1996)

Canada Adult Contemporary (RPM) 53

 

 

Edited by Critiaslux
  • 2 months later...
Posted

Speaking of which, I really, really hope Celine sings something from Joni someday.

And not any of the obvious things - Big Yellow Taxi or Both Sides Now or Case of You (though love them all) - but maybe Circle Game? Or Morning Morgantown? I'd love that. :wub:

 

Happy 75th birthday to Joni today! 😘

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
I love the picture they chose for all the divas in the CD cover where Celine is killing it. (and Mariah looks pissed!!!) It was the perfect picture to put in there! She owned everyone that night, and that picture reflects it. I just love everything about this performance and I could read YouTube comments about it for days! The petty Mariah fans are silly when it comes to this topic, and that's kind of fun to read.

post-14037-0-86275900-1542825501_thumb.jpg

post-14037-0-99281300-1542825505_thumb.jpg

post-14037-0-54919200-1542825510_thumb.jpg

post-14037-0-24802900-1542825514_thumb.jpg

post-14037-0-64673000-1542825519_thumb.jpg

post-14037-0-09575900-1542825525_thumb.jpg

Edited by Taking Chances
  • Like 6
Posted

If Whitney had been on the 98 edition, it would have been The Concert next to perfection :wub:

We would then have had all divas on one stage. :wub:

  • Like 2
Posted (edited)

If Whitney had been on the 98 edition, it would have been The Concert next to perfection :wub:

We would then have had all divas on one stage. :wub:

 

Or Aretha on the 2002 edition :wub:

 

Or also Cher in the 1998 edition...

 

The 1998 edition was the one that started it all and it will always be THE Divas edition par excelence, sober and with elegance, but the 2002 edition had an energy and a colour from all the divas that the 1998 didn't have imo.

Edited by Javito
  • Like 1

post-6419-0-03966000-1556709612.jpg

 

"Hush, now... I see a light in the sky"

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

Interesting article here about Walter:

 

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/radio/2018-12-18/all-i-want-for-christmas-is-you-co-writer-walter-afanasieff-falling-out-with-mariah-carey/

 

 

All I Want for Christmas Is You co-writer Walter Afanasieff on falling out with Mariah Carey: “We haven’t spoken in 20 years”

The songwriter/producer says Carey has tried to erase him from the Christmas hit's history

Some interesting excerpts:

 

On top of this, he says, there were jealousy issues.

“Singers like Mariah, Celine, Whitney [Houston], Barbra [streisand],” he says, “they’re all very insecure creatures.”

“If you start working on a song with another singer, the jealousy comes out. They’re very, very jealous people. So, I was working to put food on my table. I can’t only work with Mariah, I have to work with other people, and I think that was a bit of a problem ‘cause I was working, at that time, with Celine [Dion], and there was a girl named Lara Fabian, too. So, I don’t know, we just parted ways.”

While he’s still got love for the singer, he admits he’s disappointed by the way she speaks of their work together.

“She doesn’t like to acknowledge other people. It seems to be a problem with singers. If you see a singer talking about something that they wrote, they will probably say I wrote the song when I was 12 years old, or, here’s another song I wrote.

“It doesn’t matter how many interviews she’s done or when she’s on stage, she’ll never ever say ‘here’s the song that I wrote with Walter’. She’s made it her modus operandi [to neglect to mention his name when discussing the song]. We wrote the song together, my name is 50%, her name is 50%, we have equal shares.”

He cites a particular interview, with Billboard in 2017 after the song reached the Hot 100 for the first time, in which she appears to suggest that she had conceived the song at a young age.

“She came up with some crazy, crazy story over the last couple years that she wrote All I Want For Christmas Is You when she was a kid on her Casio [keyboard],” he says. “And I go, that’s crazy, I wasn’t with you when you were a kid writing that song on the Casio, so why am I 50% owner of the song? It’s crazy stuff.”

 

Afanasieff is particularly nostalgic for this period in his life during what he perceives to be the glory days of pop music, when the radio was dominated by singers with giant voices like Diane Warren, Carey, Celine Dion and Whitney Houston. He’s less sure about the “crazy crap” on the radio today.

GettyImages-138790045-618c0a9.jpg?quality=90&lb=620,413&background=white Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston

“[Writing songs] was so much fun back in those days. There was no… today we have rules and regulations; there’s this formulaic process to pop songwriting now that really does not invite big ideas, new ideas. It’s a very simple four chord formula, all taken from the four chords in Let It Be by The Beatles.

“I loved the 1990s, because everyone just let loose. We had the big ballads, and Whitney was singing, Celine Dion was singing and Mariah was singing, everyone had a bigger voice and a bigger song and a better song, and more incredible lyrics, and it was a more powerful process and required more talent. Nowadays it’s like anybody can do music.”

  • Like 6
Posted

Interesting article here about Walter:

 

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/radio/2018-12-18/all-i-want-for-christmas-is-you-co-writer-walter-afanasieff-falling-out-with-mariah-carey/

 

 

All I Want for Christmas Is You co-writer Walter Afanasieff on falling out with Mariah Carey: “We haven’t spoken in 20 years”

The songwriter/producer says Carey has tried to erase him from the Christmas hit's history

Some interesting excerpts:

 

On top of this, he says, there were jealousy issues.

“Singers like Mariah, Celine, Whitney [Houston], Barbra [streisand],” he says, “they’re all very insecure creatures.”

“If you start working on a song with another singer, the jealousy comes out. They’re very, very jealous people. So, I was working to put food on my table. I can’t only work with Mariah, I have to work with other people, and I think that was a bit of a problem ‘cause I was working, at that time, with Celine [Dion], and there was a girl named Lara Fabian, too. So, I don’t know, we just parted ways.”

While he’s still got love for the singer, he admits he’s disappointed by the way she speaks of their work together.

“She doesn’t like to acknowledge other people. It seems to be a problem with singers. If you see a singer talking about something that they wrote, they will probably say I wrote the song when I was 12 years old, or, here’s another song I wrote.

“It doesn’t matter how many interviews she’s done or when she’s on stage, she’ll never ever say ‘here’s the song that I wrote with Walter’. She’s made it her modus operandi [to neglect to mention his name when discussing the song]. We wrote the song together, my name is 50%, her name is 50%, we have equal shares.”

He cites a particular interview, with Billboard in 2017 after the song reached the Hot 100 for the first time, in which she appears to suggest that she had conceived the song at a young age.

“She came up with some crazy, crazy story over the last couple years that she wrote All I Want For Christmas Is You when she was a kid on her Casio [keyboard],” he says. “And I go, that’s crazy, I wasn’t with you when you were a kid writing that song on the Casio, so why am I 50% owner of the song? It’s crazy stuff.”

 

Afanasieff is particularly nostalgic for this period in his life during what he perceives to be the glory days of pop music, when the radio was dominated by singers with giant voices like Diane Warren, Carey, Celine Dion and Whitney Houston. He’s less sure about the “crazy crap” on the radio today.

GettyImages-138790045-618c0a9.jpg?quality=90&lb=620,413&background=white Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston

“[Writing songs] was so much fun back in those days. There was no… today we have rules and regulations; there’s this formulaic process to pop songwriting now that really does not invite big ideas, new ideas. It’s a very simple four chord formula, all taken from the four chords in Let It Be by The Beatles.

“I loved the 1990s, because everyone just let loose. We had the big ballads, and Whitney was singing, Celine Dion was singing and Mariah was singing, everyone had a bigger voice and a bigger song and a better song, and more incredible lyrics, and it was a more powerful process and required more talent. Nowadays it’s like anybody can do music.”

 

I surprised that he included Celine in the part of saying they are jealous. I can see Mariah possibly getting jealous of him working with other singers but I can’t see Celine getting mad about him working with others.

Posted (edited)

I find the use of the word "creatures" a bit condescending... I can understand why he would use it in Mariah's case (though he could've still used another word), but why put Whitney and Céline in there too. Though I've heard "something" also happened between Céline('s team) and Walter during the early 00's.. I can't remember what of where I read it..

 

EDIT: found it.

 

This was translated from a Russian interview for "OK Magazine" in April 2003):

 

Journalist: You have worked with international stars. Which of these encounters have been the most important for you?

Walter Afanasieff: In fact there have been a lot of such encounters... It was a great pleasure and honour for me to work with Michael Jackson... People like him – that's one in a million. Actually that's impossible to mention everyone... Whitney Houston, Darren Hayes, my close friend saxophonist Kenny G, Celine Dion, Lara Fabian. For Lara Fabian I wrote a very beautiful song “Broken Vow”. Do you know such a singer, Lara Fabian?

Journalist: Yes, of course.

WA: Me and her, we had a very sad story. We had a “romance”; I almost got married to this woman. But we broke up. I broke her heart a little bit, and she stopped mentioning my name. Today, when she talks about the song “Broken Vow”, she says that she wrote it [on her own]. That's it! (/Voilà!) I have had a few high-profile stories like this one. Let's not go there. (Gets lost in his thoughts.) But you know what's interesting – when I had a love story with Fabian, Celine Dion simply hated her, but Lara wanted to sing like Dion. Not an easy situation. I happened to be between both of them. Eventually both women stopped communicating with me. Celine thought that I wrote the best songs for Fabian, that only with her I shared the musical secrets... By the way, around the same time Mariah Carey left me.

 

Doesn't really sound like Céline (maybe René)...so I kinda take his words with a grain of salt.. Though the music he did with Céline has always been magical..

 

Last time they collaborated was for "Always Be Your Girl", which he co-produced and played piano on (first collab since ANDHC).

Edited by CSCfan
  • Like 2

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» MATHIAS ««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzPrxI0AIDY

Posted

I find the use of the word "creatures" a bit condescending... I can understand why he would use it in Mariah's case (though he could've still used another word), but why put Whitney and Céline in there too. Though I've heard "something" also happened between Céline('s team) and Walter during the early 00's.. I can't remember what of where I read it..

 

EDIT: found it.

 

This was translated from a Russian interview for "OK Magazine" in April 2003):

 

Well if Mariah, Whitney and Celine all had issues with him, then it most likely is him.

If it was just with Mariah, I might say it’s her but nobody else really states ever having a problem with Celine or Whitney.

  • Like 2
Posted

I find the use of the word "creatures" a bit condescending... I can understand why he would use it in Mariah's case (though he could've still used another word), but why put Whitney and Céline in there too. Though I've heard "something" also happened between Céline('s team) and Walter during the early 00's.. I can't remember what of where I read it..

 

EDIT: found it.

 

This was translated from a Russian interview for "OK Magazine" in April 2003):

 

 

 

Doesn't really sound like Céline (maybe René)...so I kinda take his words with a grain of salt.. Though the music he did with Céline has always been magical..

 

Last time they collaborated was for "Always Be Your Girl", which he co-produced and played piano on (first collab since ANDHC).

 

Sounds more like Walter is the jaded one. Also, he hasn’t really written very much for Celine. Produced, yes. Written, not really.

Matthew Charles - "Fix You" - Live at The Stonewall Inn

Stonewall Sensation - Season 15

Originally written and performed by Coldplay

Posted

I find the use of the word "creatures" a bit condescending... I can understand why he would use it in Mariah's case (though he could've still used another word), but why put Whitney and Céline in there too. Though I've heard "something" also happened between Céline('s team) and Walter during the early 00's.. I can't remember what of where I read it..

 

EDIT: found it.

 

This was translated from a Russian interview for "OK Magazine" in April 2003):

 

 

 

Doesn't really sound like Céline (maybe René)...so I kinda take his words with a grain of salt.. Though the music he did with Céline has always been magical..

 

Last time they collaborated was for "Always Be Your Girl", which he co-produced and played piano on (first collab since ANDHC).

 

Really hard to believe Celine could "simply hate" someone and accuse him of not giving her good songs and not sharing musical secrets. Sounds nothing like her.

  • Like 1
Posted
that guy seems to have burned bridges with all the big voiced divas...
  • 1 year later...
Posted

As far as I know, never before released unedited audio (the video is not synced) of Divas Live 1998 ending. Céline actually sings and speaks at parts before and after the famous riff off with Aretha that we all know. She says goodnight right after Mariah says it, too.

 

https://Www.youtube.com/watch?v=thQhLL08qZU

 

Listen for her at 0:33 - 0:34, 1:01 - 1:03, 1:16, 2:35, 2:46 - 2:50, 3:24, and 9:10 - 9:16!

Posted

Woaaa that was dreadful to watch.

Those poor 4 -5 divas .. left there to stand behind her and pretend they were enjoying themselves. Mariah was like wtf the entire time. Lol. Aretha barely interacted with them. She was like “i’m the Queen, stay behind and do nothing not even back vocals, i’ll be here for 10 minutes screaming the same words”

 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...