Jump to content

Can Celine have a hit ballad again due to the success of Adele?


Recommended Posts

Posted

Adele is honest and bears her sould and her feelings when she sings these songs (because she sings about something she went through and wrote about herself) ...

Celine sometimes seems to be playing a role and trying to create the emotion that Adele simply has ....

 

When I compare Adele at the Brit Awards (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkOvkhdGkF8) to Celine crying when she sings My love there is a big difference... I believe Adele and I'm sorry to say that I do not believe Céline 100%

 

I think Celine should write an own song that expresses her feelings (if she wants to do that) and then her performance would seem more sincere (probably)

 

And now you can call me a Celine hater and be angry at me ^^. I still love Celine, her voice and her music but Adele is just taking my breath away with some of her performances.

Posted
:blowup: Maybe I should just ignore this topic...this is getting absurd...
10374857_10204122996825827_5447894987424728596_n.jpg
Posted (edited)
Adele is honest and bears her sould and her feelings when she sings these songs (because she sings about something she went through and wrote about herself) ...

Celine sometimes seems to be playing a role and trying to create the emotion that Adele simply has ....

 

When I compare Adele at the Brit Awards (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkOvkhdGkF8) to Celine crying when she sings My love there is a big difference... I believe Adele and I'm sorry to say that I do not believe Céline 100%

 

I think Celine should write an own song that expresses her feelings (if she wants to do that) and then her performance would seem more sincere (probably)

 

And now you can call me a Celine hater and be angry at me ^^. I still love Celine, her voice and her music but Adele is just taking my breath away with some of her performances.

 

I agree with you; sometimes, Celine gives a song more emotions than the song deserves :doh: ; If she would write her own songs, she would definitely be less over-the-top emotional; but that's FAR AWAY from happening sadly. Adele writes her own songs; she lives them which in Celine's case for most of the songs that the writers gave her, they are either standard songs that would talk to anyone or they are "special" songs like My Love where the song is all about over-the-top emotions and feelings. If Celine would really live her songs she would be less considered as a cry-baby singer :giggle:

Edited by RomualdlovesCeline
Posted
We have heard about the new French album since before the twins were born; she was supposed to record it before even the twins were born but they kept delaying it until next week, month and now we won't have it until 2012; if the album had enough material to be good album she would have recorded it by now and it would have been released a long time ago. :thumbsup2:

 

I got you. Well, since I can't speak French and can't understand either, I just hope that the next English album will be like FIY part 2.

Posted

I think that yes, Adele, writing her own songs helps give her more credibility in critics' eyes but the general audience don't really know she writes songs. I mean, the people that just buy the songs because they like it don't really research her story or her skills. Not all of them would know much about Adele.

 

Same with Gaga, a lot of people don't know she writes her own songs. Most people think it's all RedOne's work (lyrics and music). But as she keeps going, slowly, people are understanding that she writes her own stuff or co-writes her stuff.

 

Anyway, my opinion is that Adele is just another Duffy/Amy Winehouse. People are super crazy about them for a while then they don't bother anymore because those singers are usually one trick ponies. As in, they only have one style they stick too. And they usually don't try to change.

 

I'm sure Adele will have a long career but she won't have another "21" again, I'm pretty sure. My humble opinion of course, nothing against her. But I don't see her reiventing her style or refreshing it with the next albums. "19" sounds like "21", though less 'pop'.

 

Artists/bands that stay on top of charts are those who know to be versatile, and not one trick ponies. You guys remember the craze about "Keane"? They're still around but they don't have a strong presence like before.

 

U2 and Madonna are the strongest examples of artists that were able to stick around and still have a strong presence on the music scene due to their versatility. U2 could've been destroyed but they released their groundbreaking album back in the 90s that allowed them to transition into a new era.

 

In a way, Celine also managed to refresh her style over the years. But she got stuck in the late 90s and never could properly transition into a new era. "A new day has come" was an album that had a strong presence, from what I remember, but after that, it went into decline. I'm not sure if that reflected in the sales as well, but her presence on the music scene diminished after that album. Vegas and all, I suppose.

 

Vegas was her salvation and her downfall. Salvation because she managed to avoid being a Mariah Carey who got dropped from her label (though she bounced back one time or two since then). Her downfall because she left her place on the music scene and other people took it. Other divas.

 

I truly believe that if Celine wanted to be a strong presence again, she could, but I have a feeling she's not going to. Rene seems to be the one to want to break records and have high sales and all that... Celine doesn't seem to be on the same page. Back in the 80s and early 90s, they both wanted it as much, but now it seems Rene is the one with the career drive whereas Celine wants to focus the most of her attention somewhere else.

 

She said it herself, she's already recorded the album of her life ("D'eux") and she's had massive english albums ("Falling into you"), so I dunno if she cares all that much anymore. Maybe her ego is not asleep. I wish the Celine who stood up to Aretha Franklin would wake up again... that'd be cool.

Posted (edited)
This is my opinion: Celine can have a #1 hit again, but i think it would have to be a very well written ballad. I think Adele is so popular at the moment because people can relate to the lyrics of her songs because they are very relatable/heartfelt, and she has written the songs herself. I think Celine could write her own English music but it is more difficult for her because of translation issues. Maybe Adele could collabrate with Celine (being that she is a fan) this would also help Celine as far as the "general public popularity" Or if Celine did a song for a major blockbuster movie maybe Titanic 2? :laugh: I think Celine is capable of anything don't count her out :whistling: If Celine never hits #1 again she will always be #1 in my book and forever my angel :wub: :innocent: Edited by davidjag79

I have waited for so long...for a miracle to come, A New Day Has Come!!

 

 

http://i49.tinypic.com/1q1q4i.jpg

Posted

I know a lot of people would love to see a duet between Adele and Celine... but personally I'd hate that Celine would get a 'comeback' thanks to Adele. I know it sounds silly, but I'd rather she gets huge again with a song by herself and not a cover.

 

Celine can do it. Of course she can. It's just a matter of 'wanting' it.

Posted
I think a Celine and Adele duet would be brilliant. Adele respects Celine. And I think it could be something incredible.
Posted

As long as it's not a lead single for a new Celine album, but part of the said album, then yes, I'd be very happy too. :)

 

Been listening to that album "21". It's not bad. I like "Rumour has it" and "Rolling in the deep" the best.

Posted
Celine has basically become our new Tina Turner, her main fighting power is the extravogent Vegas shows and the Tours. I think this new album (if we are getting it, but I highly doubt that. :shifty:) might have a chance if the singles are released corectly. And she can come back, look at Cher the woman has had a top ten hit every decade. I also think she needs better promotion, going on Oprah and singing one or two songs doesn't cut it. Let Glee do an episode with all her music but it needs to be done without Charice! A duet could also help also, something with Beyonce would be classy.
Posted

I'm all for duets with Adele and Beyoncé! :wub:

It's a different category than Céline's duet with Barbra so I wouldn't like these duets to be lead singles for a new album by Céline.

 

In opposite, such duets would make perfect lead singles for Adele's/Beyoncé's new albums and that would give Céline some promo as well! :clap:

Visit me on Facebook

  • 14th & 16th May 2008 - Antwerp Sportpaleis
  • 24th & 25th May 2008 - Paris Bercy
  • 2nd June 2008 - Amsterdam ArenA
  • 12th June 2008 - Berlin Waldbühne
  • 18th June 2008 - Köln Arena
  • 20th June 2008 - Hamburg Colorline Arena
  • 28th June 2008 - Kraków Błonia Park
  • 1st July 2008 - Vienna Stadthalle
  • 15th, 16th, 19th & 20th August 2008 - Montréal Bell Centre
  • 10th, 15th & 16th March 2011 - Las Vegas Caesars Palace Colosseum

J'étais là pour toi, Céline!

Why has Javito been silenced ???

Posted

Sadly the answer is no. No matter what Celine records she'll never have another "mainstream" hit. She's proved that she's willing to record just about anything over the past 10 years to give it a go. Everything from "Goodbye's The Saddest Word" to "I Drove All Night" to "Eyes On Me" failed to set the charts alight. Radio just wont play Celine and without that you can't have a hit. Equally if TV wont play your videos you can't have hits whatever song you choose to release and however good that song is.

 

Like many others I believe the only way we'll ever see Celine in the higher reaches of the singles charts again is through a high profile duet.

CDP.jpg

Bringing you the world's only Celine Dion podcast show since 2014.

Find us on Soundcloud, Apple Podcasts, Spotify & Amazon Music.

Posted
Sadly the answer is no. No matter what Celine records she'll never have another "mainstream" hit. She's proved that she's willing to record just about anything over the past 10 years to give it a go. Everything from "Goodbye's The Saddest Word" to "I Drove All Night" to "Eyes On Me" failed to set the charts alight. Radio just wont play Celine and without that you can't have a hit. Equally if TV wont play your videos you can't have hits whatever song you choose to release and however good that song is.

 

Like many others I believe the only way we'll ever see Celine in the higher reaches of the singles charts again is through a high profile duet.

 

Well Adele had one performance of Someone like you at the VMA's... the song doesn'T have a video and radio airplay was pretty low aaand.. The song went straight to number 1.

 

If Celine can find a good song and perform it well (and I do not mean vocally, but emotionally) she will have another hit...

Posted (edited)

Top 40 radio won't play Celine because Sony won't push her over there. The promo for Taking Chances was attrocious. Whoever was in charge needs to be fired from Sony. I would do a much better job.

 

Mistake #1: They did not submit "Taking Chances" to top 40 radio. Several radio stations including Z100, the big daddy of them all added it, but Sony would not push it there. They only released it to AC radio. The song made Adult Top 40 with no push there at all. Stations ARE willing to play her.

 

Mistake #2: They make a great video for the song, and refuse to submit it to VH1. WTF?????

 

Mistake #3: They remix "Eyes on Me" with will.i.am and then decided NOT to release it. That would have been an instant hit.

 

Mistake #4: Releasing Alone as single #2 and again to AC only. "Eyes on Me" should have been single #2.

 

Mistake #5: When Celine returned from her world tour, they had a perfect opportunity to re-launch the album, and chose to release yet ANOTHER hits collection. The album should have been re-released with the "Eyes on Me" remix leading the way.

 

So if you want to know why top 40 radio won't play her, just look at her label. Sony is responsible for her not getting play, not top 40.

 

 

With that said, with the right push and the right song, Celine does have top 40 potential again. But radio is not gonna come looking for her. She needs to go to them. And she doesn't have Oprah anymore to piggyback a free high sell on albums. This will be a start from scratch campaign on Sony's part.

 

We saw successful returns this year for Jennifer Lopez and Enrique Iglesias. Enrique even got his first #1 on top 40 of his career. If they can do it, Celine can too.

Edited by PopMusicBoy
Posted
Top 40 radio won't play Celine because Sony won't push her over there. The promo for Taking Chances was attrocious. Whoever was in charge needs to be fired from Sony. I would do a much better job.

 

Mistake #1: They did not submit "Taking Chances" to top 40 radio. Several radio stations including Z100, the big daddy of them all added it, but Sony would not push it there. They only released it to AC radio. The song made Adult Top 40 with no push there at all. Stations ARE willing to play her.

 

Mistake #2: They make a great video for the song, and refuse to submit it to VH1. WTF?????

 

Mistake #3: They remix "Eyes on Me" with will.i.am and then decided NOT to release it. That would have been an instant hit.

 

Mistake #4: Releasing Alone as single #2 and again to AC only. "Eyes on Me" should have been single #2.

 

Mistake #5: When Celine returned from her world tour, they had a perfect opportunity to re-launch the album, and chose to release yet ANOTHER hits collection. The album should have been re-released with the "Eyes on Me" remix leading the way.

 

So if you want to know why top 40 radio won't play her, just look at her label. Sony is responsible for her not getting play, not top 40.

With that said, with the right push and the right song, Celine does have top 40 potential again. But radio is not gonna come looking for her. She needs to go to them. And she doesn't have Oprah anymore to piggyback a free high sell on albums. This will be a start from scratch campaign on Sony's part.

 

We saw successful returns this year for Jennifer Lopez and Enrique Iglesias. Enrique even got his first #1 on top 40 of his career. If they can do it, Celine can too.

 

 

Yeah. Exactly. So may mistakes from Sony. And I'm scared what will happen to her future album without Oprah.

Posted

One advantage she could have on this album is that Max Martin is making a comeback and the two have history together (he did That's The Way it Is.) She needs to work with people who are relevant today.

 

I could see her working with Ryan Tedder. Another one she might work with that's everywhere right now is David Guetta.

Posted (edited)

You'd have to be clueless or delusional to think Celine's lack of success on American radio is due to lack of promotion on Sony's part. They may have failed to release some fan favorites as singles but in terms of sheer money and media appearances, Celine has more than enough promotion. There have been articles dating back to 2003 discussing the commercial disappointment of "A new day has come" despite all the money put into it.

 

If anyone is preventing Celine from getting radio play in the US it's the own weight of her career and the brand name "Celine Dion" which has become synonymous with uncool.

 

The amount of money that goes into basic promotion of her albums globally dwarfs that of most artists, but labels aren't going to continue to push songs if they don't see a demand. When "taking chances" was released, certain DJs weren't even told it was Celine until after they listened to the track so that her name wouldn't turn them off. You shouldn't *have* to have a media juggernaut backing a song every time in order to garner a pop hit, and in Celine's case if she ever wanted to become radio friendly again (extremely unlikely at this point in her career) she'd have to work uphill against the brand that she's created. The problem is that it's this brand which is selling the Vegas tickets to begin with

 

And lastly as to the point of the topic- Adele's success, whether with a ballad or not, is irrelevant to Celine. Everytime Celine tries to go the soul route she fails. And the same goes for "rock" for that matter.

Edited by Your_Su_Phu
Posted
I have not read the comments but for me I do not mind the hits as long as she continues to sing and making albums I'm happy. Celine is unique, everyone is unique, I do not understand why you comparing her to the others. She is in the industry since the age of 13 and she is still there, and not only in english, in french to, name me one that did that ... Adele nahhhhhhhhhh
Posted

well as Celine said before she wants a career not just hits

 

but anyway i think if Celine do something really different then it will get the attention and maybe get some hits! who knows

by something different i mean maybe work with some other producers / artists which many mentioned before

David Guetta, Lady Gaga (probably not duet but get her to write song for Celine), Adele or someone that's unexpected then it might get pretty good!

Courage don't you dare fail me now!

post-129-1267909378_thumb.jpgpost-129-1303908160_thumb.jpg

Posted

Provided she has a strong team behind her influencing the radio stations to play and promote her new music, anything is possible. I think it's clear Celine has been the only one promoting herself since One Heart. The bottom line is that the record labels are looking to make money, and the way they do that these days is through these overnight sensations like Justin Bieber and these other Disney stars that target the young generation.

 

Given the fact that Celine is not getting the support she needs, I think she and Rene have taken matters into their own hands are now working for themselves. Why does Celine need to give the record label or promotion group a cut of the profits when she can go on The Oprah Show and promote herself for free? Her records and concert tickets will still sell regardless, but nowadays, she's profiting off herself...and I bet you hands down that this is the perspective Rene is taking on things.

 

I don't think she's the least bit concerned to have another hit. God knows she has enough money to send people out to buy all her albums, download her songs, and catapult herself to #1...but she has the "been there, done that" perspective these days and just wants to live her life. Trust me, on your deathbed, your not counting all the Grammys you've won and records you've sold...you're thinking about how you made a difference to the world and the legacy that you will leave...and to 99% of people, their legacy is their children.

Posted
Yes, i believe Celine could have another major worldwide hit - if the right opportunity came along. I hope so, would love to see it happen sometime. :thumbsup2:

Personally, Adele is getting on my bloody nerves now. :pinch: Really loved a few of her songs (hate it when she tries to sing high though, makes me cringe), but starting to not like them now as they're being played soooo much. Still adore Rolling In The Deep though. Its a shame Adele's having so much trouble with her voice lately. :mellow

"Remember the name because you will never forget the voice!"-René Angélil

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lq1j1nLPSG1qhpqobo3_500.jpg

"Celine, without question IS the greatest singer in the world"-Tommy Mottola

My Celine blog on Tumblr

Posted
Yes, i believe Celine could have another major worldwide hit - if the right opportunity came along. I hope so, would love to see it happen sometime. :thumbsup2:

Personally, Adele is getting on my bloody nerves now. :pinch: Really loved a few of her songs (hate it when she tries to sing high though, makes me cringe), but starting to not like them now as they're being played soooo much. Still adore Rolling In The Deep though. Its a shame Adele's having so much trouble with her voice lately. :mellow

I agree! I love Adele but the radio and her fans are doing the smash to her that happened to Celine. I like Adele since her first single in the U.S. and people thought she would only have one hit, "chasing pavements". But she's been played too much! I hope what happened to Celine doesn't happen to her too. By anyway, I believe Celine could have a hit song, maybe not #1, by surely a hit. Maybe if she released a song like "Fade Away"? I thought that was a good song and it should have been released. I aslo think she's not so "fresh" these days because most female singers sell their bodies and throw out sex appeal! Some of these new singers can't even SING. But I keep hope alive that thatshe can have atleast one "DAMN CELINE" song lol

"Remember the name because you will never forget the voice!"-René Angélil

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lq1j1nLPSG1qhpqobo3_500.jpg

"Celine, without question IS the greatest singer in the world"-Tommy Mottola

My Celine blog on Tumblr

Posted
I thought "Fade Away" should've been a single too! :)
Tommy
Posted
I guess Sony, Celine and Rene don't care about her lack of promotion, relevance and choice of singles because they know at the end of the day, they will get their gold or platinum album because of her fan base. However, I'd love for Celine to duet with Adele or Beyonce just to boost her popularity, since these two are huge right now and also appeal to young and mature audiance.
Posted

I think the key to a hit ballad is :

 

a love ballad .... not so sad ... and not soo cartoonish

no bridge ... just verse and course

simple but great lyrics

simple music of 2 or3 music instruments ......

please listen, I wrote This for Celine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-d8j5nOqSk

Posted (edited)
Top 40 radio won't play Celine because Sony won't push her over there. The promo for Taking Chances was attrocious. Whoever was in charge needs to be fired from Sony. I would do a much better job.

 

Mistake #1: They did not submit "Taking Chances" to top 40 radio. Several radio stations including Z100, the big daddy of them all added it, but Sony would not push it there. They only released it to AC radio. The song made Adult Top 40 with no push there at all. Stations ARE willing to play her.

 

Mistake #2: They make a great video for the song, and refuse to submit it to VH1. WTF?????

 

Mistake #3: They remix "Eyes on Me" with will.i.am and then decided NOT to release it. That would have been an instant hit.

 

Mistake #4: Releasing Alone as single #2 and again to AC only. "Eyes on Me" should have been single #2.

 

Mistake #5: When Celine returned from her world tour, they had a perfect opportunity to re-launch the album, and chose to release yet ANOTHER hits collection. The album should have been re-released with the "Eyes on Me" remix leading the way.

 

So if you want to know why top 40 radio won't play her, just look at her label. Sony is responsible for her not getting play, not top 40.

With that said, with the right push and the right song, Celine does have top 40 potential again. But radio is not gonna come looking for her. She needs to go to them. And she doesn't have Oprah anymore to piggyback a free high sell on albums. This will be a start from scratch campaign on Sony's part.

 

We saw successful returns this year for Jennifer Lopez and Enrique Iglesias. Enrique even got his first #1 on top 40 of his career. If they can do it, Celine can too.

Jennifer Lopez didn't had a successful comeback. Her Love? album was a FLOP worldwide in term of charts performance and sales just like her Brave album back in 2007. Her On the Floor single did great on the charts simply because its release coincided with her appointment as a judge on American Idol.

Edited by Calypso
normal_one-heart-7.jpg

Posted

THIS ISNT EVEN AN ARGUMENT!!!!!

Ok so Adele writes her own songs and stuff but a LOT of songs that Celine has sung do reflect her own love life, and maybe when she's singing a song she puts herself in de characters place and 2 me thats much harder and greater 2 what Adele does Celine has'nt gone thru de pain or loss or whatever but she still gives the song her fullest, and we all know how emotional Celine is, incase u did'nt watch Celine thru de eyes of de world. A true Celine fan wud never say anything absurd. VERY disappointing. -_-

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lwk66t4rhm1r2j3uro1_500.jpg

 

Follow Me On TUMBLR:

Celinedion4ever

Posted

MAKE ONE ALBUM WITH TWO SIDES...

 

1 THE DIVA, THE BALLADS, THE TRADITIONAL CELINE

2 THINGS WE NEVER IMAGINED HER DOING...LIKE A MORE EXPERIMENTAL CELINE. NEW STYLES, NEW REMIXES, THOSE SONGS WE DREAM TO SEE HER ON SPOT AGAIN...

SEND SOME VOCAL RECORDINGS TO THESE TOP PRODUCERS TO SEE WHAT THEY WILL SHOW YOU....COULD BE AMAZING...

 

THE POINT SOMETIMES WE FEEL LIKE THIS IS LIKE SAYING "I LIKE CELINE" NOWADAYS FEELS LIKE COMING OUT OF THE CLOSET REAALLY...

 

BY DOING THAT SHE WOULD KINDA HELP CHANGING THAT, WELL WE KNOW SHE CAN DO GREAT....

Posted
MAKE ONE ALBUM WITH TWO SIDES...

 

1 THE DIVA, THE BALLADS, THE TRADITIONAL CELINE

2 THINGS WE NEVER IMAGINED HER DOING...LIKE A MORE EXPERIMENTAL CELINE. NEW STYLES, NEW REMIXES, THOSE SONGS WE DREAM TO SEE HER ON SPOT AGAIN...

SEND SOME VOCAL RECORDINGS TO THESE TOP PRODUCERS TO SEE WHAT THEY WILL SHOW YOU....COULD BE AMAZING...

 

THE POINT SOMETIMES WE FEEL LIKE THIS IS LIKE SAYING "I LIKE CELINE" NOWADAYS FEELS LIKE COMING OUT OF THE CLOSET REAALLY...

 

BY DOING THAT SHE WOULD KINDA HELP CHANGING THAT, WELL WE KNOW SHE CAN DO GREAT....

 

That's actually a really good idea! Celine should do that!

Posted
I guess Sony, Celine and Rene don't care about her lack of promotion, relevance and choice of singles because they know at the end of the day, they will get their gold or platinum album because of her fan base. However, I'd love for Celine to duet with Adele or Beyonce just to boost her popularity, since these two are huge right now and also appeal to young and mature audiance.

I think Adele would jump at the chance to perform with Celine after all she has said in the past when all her friends were listening to all the latest emo bands ect....she was secretly listening to Celine because she loved her voice.. :clap: (I knew Adele had great taste) :giggle:

Je cherche l`Ombre

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...