celine5-5 Posted September 10, 2011 at 03:44 AM Posted September 10, 2011 at 03:44 AM It certainly seems somewhat more poosible now. I was very surprised when SLY made it to #1. But then again, Adele is highly popular right now, and for the most part, songs that do make it to #1 rarely have the lasting significance that Adele's latest has. Maybe if Celine does a song as profound as "Black and Yellow," perhaps she will have another hit... Quote
dj_a_rock Posted September 10, 2011 at 05:31 AM Posted September 10, 2011 at 05:31 AM Ugh---the same crap about how kids change your life. Most people don't have the luxury to quit their job because their "kid" changed their life. A kid becomes a part of your life, it doesn't totally consume yours. Exactly. Very well said. Most parents work hard once they've got kids. Not STOP working because they already have kids. Quote
ghazal Posted September 10, 2011 at 05:45 AM Posted September 10, 2011 at 05:45 AM Yes she can, there is nothing that she can't do. Quote
dj4celine Posted September 10, 2011 at 06:49 AM Posted September 10, 2011 at 06:49 AM Ugh---the same crap about how kids change your life. Most people don't have the luxury to quit their job because their "kid" changed their life. A kid becomes a part of your life, it doesn't totally consume yours. All this Miracle-motherhood crap make me want to vomit. I couldn't agree with you more, Alex. It seems that it's only on this forum that tries to portray Celine as being the only mother on the planet. Jeez, there are millions of mothers out there who have to work the entire day (and sometimes, night as well) and take care of their kids simultaneously. They don't even have the luxury like Celine to hire people to take care of their kids and work for just a few hours. She's being lazy and indifferent towards her career. Simple as that. As for the question asked in this thread: Hit - Yes/Maybe, BB Hot 100 #1 - Never (I'd love to be proven wrong though ). BTW J.Lo's "On The Floor" didn't go #1 on the BB Hot 100 but reached #3. Sure, it was a Top 5 hit everywhere in the world though. As for J.Lo being vulgar, there is not a single scene in the music video where she's being one. Also, a certain post indicated that Celine doesn't sell her to get hits, but aren't we the ones who get all excited whenever there is a "hot" performance from Celine like "The Best" or a sexy music video like IWCT?!? Double-standards, I say! Quote
browseceline Posted September 10, 2011 at 11:55 AM Posted September 10, 2011 at 11:55 AM (edited) Adele is fresh nowadays and even though I don't like all of her songs that really sound nasal! she is popular.Say the name Celine and people will start making fun of her or say mean things. Celine is no beyonce, she does not have the sexappeal of her or of J.Lo who, excuse me, cannot sing. I do wonder though if Celine had sung Halo or If I were a boy, where it would have brought her in the charts..And as many of you say here, Celine does not care about getting high in the charts. She already has a status and people still come to Vegas to see her. She has a fanbase, a large one, and her tours have been very succesful. So why does she need to be in the charts, I think she doesn't care. She has everything she ever wanted. A huge career, a loving husband, three children, her own stadium.. what more to wish for? She is satisfied with that.Bringing out a new album is just to let the world know , hey I am still here, but not because she wants to interest new fans. She is happy what she already has. And to be honest I don't see her getting a number 1 hitrecord like in the 90s.And about the taking chances album, some chances were taken, like Taking Chances and Can't fight the Feeling. But overall the album was Celine, with a little bit edge on it, not much though. A shame that Surpise Surprise, Shadow of Love and Can't fight the Feeling never got released as singles..That is all part of her team, it is not Celine that makes wrong choices, it is her team that picks the songs they like to release as singles. My love is a liveversion should have never been released, same for Alone, which even sounded better live. People already know Alone from Heart, and although Celine did a great job and we as fans loved the song, there will be loads of people who prefer the original and don't like covers.. and because of singing the audience favorites over and over again on each and every performance on tv or in vegas and tours, she gives the impression to not care for her other songs and therefor she is not fresh and maybe already considered as that 90s Titanic singer who had her succes in the 90s with power of love, IACBTMN, my heart will go on and Because you loved me. And that is a pity because I am sure all those people don't know how many good and maybe better songs are on her entire albums! Edited September 10, 2011 at 12:03 PM by browseceline Quote <iframe width="640" height="390" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hl2XkxnYljg" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
dmeredith Posted September 10, 2011 at 02:06 PM Posted September 10, 2011 at 02:06 PM Exactly. Very well said. Most parents work hard once they've got kids. Not STOP working because they already have kids. Most people do continue to work after they've had children, but they find that they have to change their priorities. You can't keep "burning the midnight oil" at work after you've had children, or you'll find that your children haven't been raised properly. I used to put more time into my own job before I had children. Once they were born, I couldn't continue down that same path. It was unhealthy for me as well as my own children. What I found to be important changed tremendously. In order to understand how Celine feels, you must first become a parent yourself. Of course, not everyone puts their children's needs first just because they become a parent. Otherwise, we wouldn't have so many neglected children in the world. Quote
RomualdlovesCeline Posted September 10, 2011 at 03:40 PM Posted September 10, 2011 at 03:40 PM Most people do continue to work after they've had children, but they find that they have to change their priorities. You can't keep "burning the midnight oil" at work after you've had children, or you'll find that your children haven't been raised properly. I used to put more time into my own job before I had children. Once they were born, I couldn't continue down that same path. It was unhealthy for me as well as my own children. What I found to be important changed tremendously. In order to understand how Celine feels, you must first become a parent yourself. Of course, not everyone puts their children's needs first just because they become a parent. Otherwise, we wouldn't have so many neglected children in the world. Celine has the luxury of not working for a living; she has so many millions under her belt that it would be ok if she's gone out of scene if she wanted to; It's not because she wants to properly raise her kids that she isn't working as hard as she should; it's her dis-interest in her own career who's making her withdraw from the scene every year a little bit more. I'm not saying that Celine is a bad mum because even when she's working she has plenty of time to check on her kids because her work is 3-4 hrs max : 2hrs Show; 1 hour meet-greet and let's put 1 hr before the show if there's rehearsels or changes to the show. She has the whole day until 6:30 pm to take care of her children and from 9:30 till I don't know when to re-take care of them. I see her more as a full time mum even when she's "working". Quote
celinerific Posted September 10, 2011 at 04:42 PM Posted September 10, 2011 at 04:42 PM (edited) Come onnn, it's CELINE! Her voice alone can pierce into the clouds of heaven. Realistically, they have found her good song writers, they just haven't found another "James Horner Moment" yet (I don't mean that in the sense of another crazy radio-killed-it ballad, but something that will make her name fly around again). But honestly, I don't think she needs it, but I do think it'd be nice to have a good Celine Comeback hit and be like "BOOM SHAKALAKALAKA CELINE DION SHAKALAKA" and kind of take people by surprise and make people go "Wut wut! Who dat on the radioo? Celine Dion? SAY WHAT?! She is in duh house! She sounds cray cray! LIKE! " Anyway... what I'm saying is... she doesn't need a hit, but it would be mighty fine to have a sudden Celine BOOM, if you know what I mean. And I also don't think that Celine should be compared because... there is and never will be anything or anyone like her. Just sayin'. Edit: Oh and, for those who think Celine isn't "popular", you'd be surprised at how many people really love her... they're just closet... most are, but I say EMRACE IT. It's trendy to be a Celine fan. Edited September 10, 2011 at 04:45 PM by celinerific Quote http://i58.tinypic.com/2qbub9c.png @ErikaTran | Insta: aireexwp | erikatran.com
browseceline Posted September 10, 2011 at 05:10 PM Posted September 10, 2011 at 05:10 PM (edited) just something else Celinerific.. you made an encredible site! your site looks way more professional then the official celine dion site! love your design! very professional! Edited September 10, 2011 at 05:12 PM by browseceline Quote <iframe width="640" height="390" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hl2XkxnYljg" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
celinerific Posted September 10, 2011 at 08:49 PM Posted September 10, 2011 at 08:49 PM just something else Celinerific.. you made an encredible site! your site looks way more professional then the official celine dion site! love your design! very professional! Thaaaank you, you are too kind! I need to get on that again... you know, update it more hah. Quote http://i58.tinypic.com/2qbub9c.png @ErikaTran | Insta: aireexwp | erikatran.com
fred Posted September 10, 2011 at 09:42 PM Posted September 10, 2011 at 09:42 PM (edited) She could have indeed. I Surrender, In His Touch or even I Got Nothing Left. But the thing to hits aren't just good songs. And yes, even though I am a fan I must agree, there hasn't been many good songs lately. Mediocre is a good word. Seriously when was the last time we heard her do something in the style of Seduces Me? (Perhaps Surprise Surprise had something of the good old quality). And then yes image has a lot to do with it. It is quite important to be relatable. Céline is too perfect to be relatable. And too perfect always go hand in hand with booring. There's a lot of focus on shallow elegance and quantity. A lot of people can't relate to that. And if someone like that only produces most mediocre things, it is easy to look for someone more interesting who produces something that is more easy access. Yes Céline is beatiful now. Indeed. But still, the last time I think she had the most interesting look was from the recording sessions of the TC album. There she looks like a real person. But a person who carries herself with class. And looks artistic, and not in a manufactured way. So when it comes to a shallow image, a more relaxed one would be the way to go. Then I go back again to being more expressive. More straight forward. And more experementing. Last time I saw a a live performance of hers with that feeling was when she performed At Seventeen at the Emmy thing. If she's true to the artist in her, and the person in her, and takes down the "perfect Hollywood legend mother who sets all the records when it comes to quantity" some notches and uses her voice with a little more soul and a little mor curiosity I think she'll win back the respect she once had and deserves. She might even be cool then. One can be cool in so many ways. And the best way to be cool is to channel oneself in a layed back way. /fred Edited September 10, 2011 at 09:46 PM by fred Quote Peace and love to all.
québecflower Posted September 10, 2011 at 09:56 PM Posted September 10, 2011 at 09:56 PM Come onnn, it's CELINE! Her voice alone can pierce into the clouds of heaven. Realistically, they have found her good song writers, they just haven't found another "James Horner Moment" yet (I don't mean that in the sense of another crazy radio-killed-it ballad, but something that will make her name fly around again). But honestly, I don't think she needs it, but I do think it'd be nice to have a good Celine Comeback hit and be like "BOOM SHAKALAKALAKA CELINE DION SHAKALAKA" and kind of take people by surprise and make people go "Wut wut! Who dat on the radioo? Celine Dion? SAY WHAT?! She is in duh house! She sounds cray cray! LIKE! " Anyway... what I'm saying is... she doesn't need a hit, but it would be mighty fine to have a sudden Celine BOOM, if you know what I mean. And I also don't think that Celine should be compared because... there is and never will be anything or anyone like her. Just sayin'. Edit: Oh and, for those who think Celine isn't "popular", you'd be surprised at how many people really love her... they're just closet... most are, but I say EMRACE IT. It's trendy to be a Celine fan. i really really like what you say, and the terms you use Quote Plus qu'ailleurs , but now Si c'était à refaire , i still love tant de temps....
ImACelineDionFan Posted September 10, 2011 at 10:08 PM Posted September 10, 2011 at 10:08 PM If she's true to the artist in her, and the person in her, and takes down the "perfect Hollywood legend mother who sets all the records when it comes to quantity" some notches and uses her voice with a little more soul and a little mor curiosity I think she'll win back the respect she once had and deserves. She might even be cool then. One can be cool in so many ways. And the best way to be cool is to channel oneself in a layed back way. /fred Well, Celine is the coolest person I know of. "Cool" is different to everyone and apparently most of the people on this forum agree with me that Celine IS cool. I don't think she needs to change AT ALL. That's why we all love Celine, because she is so true to herself. You say she needs to win back "the respect she once had", if she has so little respect then why does she sell out performances on a daily basis? Celine is great the way she is and I wouldn't change a thing. Right now, a hit is not her goal (as someone mentioned before). If she wanted a hit, she can very well do it, I have no doubt. Whats the point though? She has all the money she needs. She has crazy fans that adore her. Celine CAN do it, I think she just doesn't WANT to. Quote
québecflower Posted September 10, 2011 at 10:09 PM Posted September 10, 2011 at 10:09 PM She could have indeed. I Surrender, In His Touch or even I Got Nothing Left. But the thing to hits aren't just good songs. And yes, even though I am a fan I must agree, there hasn't been many good songs lately. Mediocre is a good word. Seriously when was the last time we heard her do something in the style of Seduces Me? (Perhaps Surprise Surprise had something of the good old quality). And then yes image has a lot to do with it. It is quite important to be relatable. Céline is too perfect to be relatable. And too perfect always go hand in hand with booring. There's a lot of focus on shallow elegance and quantity. A lot of people can't relate to that. And if someone like that only produces most mediocre things, it is easy to look for someone more interesting who produces something that is more easy access. Yes Céline is beatiful now. Indeed. But still, the last time I think she had the most interesting look was from the recording sessions of the TC album. There she looks like a real person. But a person who carries herself with class. And looks artistic, and not in a manufactured way. So when it comes to a shallow image, a more relaxed one would be the way to go. Then I go back again to being more expressive. More straight forward. And more experementing. Last time I saw a a live performance of hers with that feeling was when she performed At Seventeen at the Emmy thing. If she's true to the artist in her, and the person in her, and takes down the "perfect Hollywood legend mother who sets all the records when it comes to quantity" some notches and uses her voice with a little more soul and a little mor curiosity I think she'll win back the respect she once had and deserves. She might even be cool then. One can be cool in so many ways. And the best way to be cool is to channel oneself in a layed back way. /fred i would like an entire show like the performance At seventeen , because it was so unexpected from Celine. For the perfect image she seems to have, i don't care too much, i try to accept her as she is, i would like something else , more spontaneous, i really don't like when she repeat herself : I like to sing, but i like to talk too i hope that the future will bring good things from her, and i have high hopes for the french album, she is so much more artistic in french, even if i like most of her english songs. On Taking chance, one of my fav is Skies of L.A. so soothing and critical at the same time. Quote Plus qu'ailleurs , but now Si c'était à refaire , i still love tant de temps....
volleyceline Posted September 10, 2011 at 10:33 PM Posted September 10, 2011 at 10:33 PM Yeah if it's good, catchy, and relate-able to all ages, a ballad will be a hit! Quote http://fotos.fotoflexer.com/33a2e2da594db4153c226a19ede91edb.jpghttp://fotos.fotoflexer.com/e6aaaff4173e83688975f83ef4c440ea.jpghttp://fotos.fotoflexer.com/7dcd605675e4621374fb2ab0c990b231.jpghttp://fotos.fotoflexer.com/6f81b75908662ef33cd2ed5d0a6c8208.jpg Some people have everything. And they have nothing. It's wonderful... - C e l i n e ♥
dmeredith Posted September 10, 2011 at 11:42 PM Posted September 10, 2011 at 11:42 PM Well, Celine is the coolest person I know of. "Cool" is different to everyone and apparently most of the people on this forum agree with me that Celine IS cool. I don't think she needs to change AT ALL. That's why we all love Celine, because she is so true to herself. You say she needs to win back "the respect she once had", if she has so little respect then why does she sell out performances on a daily basis? Celine is great the way she is and I wouldn't change a thing. Right now, a hit is not her goal (as someone mentioned before). If she wanted a hit, she can very well do it, I have no doubt. Whats the point though? She has all the money she needs. She has crazy fans that adore her. Celine CAN do it, I think she just doesn't WANT to. I like Celine just the way she is, because she is true to herself also. I'm willing to go along with whatever she wants to do. I respect her wishes. Of course, I have my own wishes too. I would love to be able to buy new Celine albums about twice a year, see her on TV at least once a month & see her live in concert whether it be on the road or Vegas, but I have to be realistic and realize that my wishes don't always conincide with Celine's. It's her life and she has the right to live it the way that makes her the happiest. Then we have the choice of whether we want to follow her down her chosen path or not, and I choose to go ahead and follow where she leads. Quote
RomualdlovesCeline Posted September 11, 2011 at 01:49 AM Posted September 11, 2011 at 01:49 AM (edited) i hope that the future will bring good things from her, and i have high hopes for the french album,she is so much more artistic in french, even if i like most of her english songs. On Taking chance, one of my fav is Skies of L.A. so soothing and critical at the same time. I hope the French album everybody's giving high hopes for would be worth the wait; IMO, once you drag an album from one release date to another means that it's nothing special and it should be re-worked ten times so that the final product be average and something pretty much forgettable; BTW, I wasn't impressed with D'Elles; It's one of those albums that I didn't rush out to get because the songs on it were meh forgettable I actually understand both English/French languages so I understood every word she sang in D'Elles and it was pretty much a disappointment for me. Edited September 11, 2011 at 01:50 AM by RomualdlovesCeline Quote
dj_a_rock Posted September 11, 2011 at 03:37 AM Posted September 11, 2011 at 03:37 AM IMO, once you drag an album from one release date to another means that it's nothing special and it should be re-worked ten times so that the final product be average and something pretty much forgettable; What do you mean? I don't get it. Quote
québecflower Posted September 11, 2011 at 03:59 AM Posted September 11, 2011 at 03:59 AM I hope the French album everybody's giving high hopes for would be worth the wait; IMO, once you drag an album from one release date to another means that it's nothing special and it should be re-worked ten times so that the final product be average and something pretty much forgettable; BTW, I wasn't impressed with D'Elles; It's one of those albums that I didn't rush out to get because the songs on it were meh forgettable I actually understand both English/French languages so I understood every word she sang in D'Elles and it was pretty much a disappointment for me. i didn't like d'elles too, but most of the songs were from author , not real songs writers..it was a mistake to think that writing songs was something easy even though these women have done the best they could. It was a concept album, and the goal imo was to bring some intellectual credibility to Celine. the next album, we have great songs writers who have proven what they can do, Plamondon and Ferland are the best in Quebec. They write meaningful songs , with originality. And not always about love everafter. I'm sure it will be great , a new start as she will visit her past. Sometimes you have to come full circle, rediscover your true self. Quote Plus qu'ailleurs , but now Si c'était à refaire , i still love tant de temps....
Alex_Incognito Posted September 11, 2011 at 04:05 AM Posted September 11, 2011 at 04:05 AM I thought D'ELLES was a masterpiece and I speak both English and French. In my opinion D'ELLES ranks as one of he best Francophone albums, along with "Dion chante Plamondon" and "Incognito." Quote "People pay 20-25 dollars to see you."- Céline Dion, 1990
Solan Posted September 11, 2011 at 11:03 AM Posted September 11, 2011 at 11:03 AM Adele's success is also due to a few factors. I mean, sure she has a great voice and all, but her recent "boom" could also be due to the oversaturation of electro and vocoded music (Katy Perry, Rihanna, David Guetta, etc). And with Lady Gaga pretty much conquering the world, a lot of people had had enough of 'showgirls' and probably wanted something more simple and back to basics. Maybe that's why Adele is so big (no pun intended!) at the moment. As for Celine having another massive successful song, well, I disagree that because her name is Celine Dion that she will not have a #1 again. Because the audience that got Adele to #1 is the same audience who'd listen to Celine. Celine could have a #1 if she actually worked harder for it. I'm also part of the fans who disliked "Taking Chances". That album was not good. It was mediocre compared to the other great albums she's made in the past. But here's the thing, I don't think it's because she's disinterested with her career but because she knows she won't be able to do the circuit of performances that a hit record demands. Nowadays she can get away with a few lipsynced TV appearances... but if she had a huge record, she'd be scrutinized and people would expect someone like her to deliver LIVE performances. And since she seems keen on saving her voice so she can still perform 100% live on those rare occasions that she now does and nail them. I get that. She knows her voice is not invincible, she needs to take care of it. A hit record would definitely mean for her to use more of it more often. That's my theory anyway. I think that's why she went back to Vegas as well, to keep the income coming (not that she needs it really) and to satisfy her desire to be on stage. But as far as reinventing herself musically? I doubt it will happen. I know a lot of fans are expecting a lot from the French album. I speak both languages and I do prefer her french songs over her english songs because they are more timeless and have deeper meanings usually. Her album "D'Eux" is a masterpiece and her sound in French is excellent. But with that said, going back to Plamandon pretty much means we'll have an album that sounds dated and uninspired. Something like "D'Elles". I would have much preferred if she chose to work with fresh new songwriters who could give her a new sound, new melodies, and still keep her Celine Dion signature. Classic Rock suits Celine so well. Her songs "Dans un autre monde", "J'irai ou tu iras", "Je sais pas" are amongst her very best and the songs I'd make someone who doesn't know her french stuff listen to first. I made some Australian friends listen to them (they only knew her english stuff) and they were genuinely surprised. I had to burn the songs for them too lol. Celine and Rene made a choice back in the 90s for the english market, for the US market. They wanted her to be at the top so they went for what would sell the most and made some pretty good songs. But that cost Celine her artistic credibility. You ask the average joe about Celine and they tell you she's just a balladeer who sings sappy and corny love songs and they wouldn't be caught dead listening to her. Ask an average French person about Celine and they'll tell you that even though they're not a fan, they like quite a few of her songs. Especially that "Jean Jacques Goldman album". Celine made a choice and well, now, she's been blacklisted, so to speak, on various english market "top singers" lists because it's not 'cool' to like Celine. She can turn things around if she wants to, but I don't think she does. Even if she had recorded "Rolling in the deep", she wouldn't have tried to make it a success. If Celine had been the one to sing that song, it would just have been a moderate success because she wouldn't do the work to make it popular. And this new english album? Well, a bunch of covers and 3 new songs... hardly something that's going to make her #1. I still have a glimmer of hope that the French album will deliver more than I expect. I even heard she wrote a few songs for it herself... so here's hoping that will unleash a new Celine Dion. And personally, I could see Celine having a sound a la Shania Twain. Not totally country, not totally rock, but a mix of both. Imagine Celine coming out with a single a la "Man! I feel like a woman". She'd be noticed again. It'd surprise people. That's my personal thought on what direction she should take of course so yeah... lol And before someone says anything, yes I know, I tend to write a lot so I'm sorry if that bothered anyone. Quote
fred Posted September 11, 2011 at 11:48 AM Posted September 11, 2011 at 11:48 AM And this new english album? Well, a bunch of covers and 3 new songs... hardly something that's going to make her #1.Where did you get this confirmed? Since there's no longer an English album topic, I'm just wondering. It is interesting to see that now that the TC glimmer has worn off a lot of people start ranting it. I see a trend: rant her latest album till you hear a new one, and suddenly the previous seems interetsing again. We've seen it before. ANDHC got its fair chanse of rantings from fans till OH showed up, then ANDHC was a masterpiece suddenly. Then OH was pure crap for a while till TC showed up and OH turend out to be "quite good". I'm wondering what's this all about? Is it one: Céline's albums are getting worse and worse, so compared to the last one released the previous one is seen in a new light and seems better? Or two: Céline fans can't appreciate what they have in the moment, it takes a while for it to sink in? In the light of the new French album coming I see a lot of ranting starts to go off at D'elles. And yes I don't see D'elles as the "IT album" mainly coz they were lazy with the theme - they should had gotten all lady producers to produce the songs as well. But jumping through the album last night I found that there are certain tracks I wouldn't want to live without: Et s'il n'en restait qu'une, Je cherche l'ombre, Je ne suis pas celle and On s'est aimé à cause. And even though 4 great tracks out of 13 isn't that a great share I wouldn't call D'elles a total waste. /fred Quote Peace and love to all.
dj_a_rock Posted September 11, 2011 at 11:55 AM Posted September 11, 2011 at 11:55 AM ^ I agree with you. If Celine was the one who sung "Rolling in the Deep", it wouldn't be as successful as Adele. That's because of many things. Sony, the public and Celine herself. Quote
takeachance Posted September 11, 2011 at 12:07 PM Posted September 11, 2011 at 12:07 PM Adele's success is also due to a few factors. I mean, sure she has a great voice and all, but her recent "boom" could also be due to the oversaturation of electro and vocoded music (Katy Perry, Rihanna, David Guetta, etc). And with Lady Gaga pretty much conquering the world, a lot of people had had enough of 'showgirls' and probably wanted something more simple and back to basics. Maybe that's why Adele is so big (no pun intended!) at the moment. As for Celine having another massive successful song, well, I disagree that because her name is Celine Dion that she will not have a #1 again. Because the audience that got Adele to #1 is the same audience who'd listen to Celine. Celine could have a #1 if she actually worked harder for it. I'm also part of the fans who disliked "Taking Chances". That album was not good. It was mediocre compared to the other great albums she's made in the past. But here's the thing, I don't think it's because she's disinterested with her career but because she knows she won't be able to do the circuit of performances that a hit record demands. Nowadays she can get away with a few lipsynced TV appearances... but if she had a huge record, she'd be scrutinized and people would expect someone like her to deliver LIVE performances. And since she seems keen on saving her voice so she can still perform 100% live on those rare occasions that she now does and nail them. I get that. She knows her voice is not invincible, she needs to take care of it. A hit record would definitely mean for her to use more of it more often. That's my theory anyway. I think that's why she went back to Vegas as well, to keep the income coming (not that she needs it really) and to satisfy her desire to be on stage. But as far as reinventing herself musically? I doubt it will happen. I know a lot of fans are expecting a lot from the French album. I speak both languages and I do prefer her french songs over her english songs because they are more timeless and have deeper meanings usually. Her album "D'Eux" is a masterpiece and her sound in French is excellent. But with that said, going back to Plamandon pretty much means we'll have an album that sounds dated and uninspired. Something like "D'Elles". I would have much preferred if she chose to work with fresh new songwriters who could give her a new sound, new melodies, and still keep her Celine Dion signature. Classic Rock suits Celine so well. Her songs "Dans un autre monde", "J'irai ou tu iras", "Je sais pas" are amongst her very best and the songs I'd make someone who doesn't know her french stuff listen to first. I made some Australian friends listen to them (they only knew her english stuff) and they were genuinely surprised. I had to burn the songs for them too lol. Celine and Rene made a choice back in the 90s for the english market, for the US market. They wanted her to be at the top so they went for what would sell the most and made some pretty good songs. But that cost Celine her artistic credibility. You ask the average joe about Celine and they tell you she's just a balladeer who sings sappy and corny love songs and they wouldn't be caught dead listening to her. Ask an average French person about Celine and they'll tell you that even though they're not a fan, they like quite a few of her songs. Especially that "Jean Jacques Goldman album". Celine made a choice and well, now, she's been blacklisted, so to speak, on various english market "top singers" lists because it's not 'cool' to like Celine. She can turn things around if she wants to, but I don't think she does. Even if she had recorded "Rolling in the deep", she wouldn't have tried to make it a success. If Celine had been the one to sing that song, it would just have been a moderate success because she wouldn't do the work to make it popular. And this new english album? Well, a bunch of covers and 3 new songs... hardly something that's going to make her #1. I still have a glimmer of hope that the French album will deliver more than I expect. I even heard she wrote a few songs for it herself... so here's hoping that will unleash a new Celine Dion. And personally, I could see Celine having a sound a la Shania Twain. Not totally country, not totally rock, but a mix of both. Imagine Celine coming out with a single a la "Man! I feel like a woman". She'd be noticed again. It'd surprise people. That's my personal thought on what direction she should take of course so yeah... lol And before someone says anything, yes I know, I tend to write a lot so I'm sorry if that bothered anyone. Hey ! Welcome to forum Enjoyed reading wwhat you said and I agree with you . I also love Je sais pas , i think its one of her bests. And i would also love if she "came back" with a great single that suprised people, It would be interesting..... Quote http://i66.tinypic.com/2dk08jn.gifRIP Rene Angelil xx Sending Love and Prayers to Celine
québecflower Posted September 11, 2011 at 12:26 PM Posted September 11, 2011 at 12:26 PM I still have a glimmer of hope that the French album will deliver more than I expect. I even heard she wrote a few songs for it herself... so here's hoping that will unleash a new Celine Dion. there's always hope Quote Plus qu'ailleurs , but now Si c'était à refaire , i still love tant de temps....
Solan Posted September 11, 2011 at 01:17 PM Posted September 11, 2011 at 01:17 PM I'm not dissing "Taking Chances" because I'm just waiting for something new, I never liked it much to begin with. I'm not saying it's all bad, but it sure pales in comparison with "A new day has come" in my books. Her best english album, in my opinion, to date. "One Heart" was okay, mostly for the awesome cover of "I drove all night". There're a few songs on there which I do like and I like that they tried to keep the "pop" alive in the album. It's not a great album but it is a nice one. "Taking chances" was not good pop/rock. It was bland. The only track that actually works in the pop/rock style of this album is "Surprise surprise". "Taking chances" is good too but I was not very enthused that yet again, a cover gets to be the lead single. It worked for "I drove all night", but this time it fell flat. I absolutely love Celine, I consider her my favourite artist and I admire her drive and her personality and her amazing career. No matter what she does, within reason, I will always love her. If she turns out to be secretly a nazi, then I'd review that but I don't think she has a skeleton of that size in her closet lol. What I'm saying is if I'm dissing "Taking chances" the album, don't think I'm disappointed in 'her'. I'm just disappointed that her direction is not working out, in my opinion, for her. It's like they found the perfect style for her in French but they can't do the same in english. It's weird. That's why I always expect more from her French stuff than her English stuff. I love the sheer power she brings to her english tracks (there's no real equivalent of the power she shows in "Power of Love" in her french catalogue) but sometimes power is not enough. You need a good melody, interesting lyrics and music that fits. Oh and I thought the english album was a cover album? I read that somewhere either on here or on the web. I thought it was official. If it's not that, then there's hope. I really see her being at her best in classic rock. As I said, having a sound a la Shania Twain would work wonders for her. She has that sound in French. She should try it in english. But yeah, I do love her to bits. I just want the best she can give us. And I know "Taking chances" wasn't her best. And call me a dreamer, but I love to think the best is yet to come. Quote
Bell Posted September 11, 2011 at 01:59 PM Posted September 11, 2011 at 01:59 PM Celine has had many hit ballads so far. I don't really know if she can have another one someday. Maybe what she's had till now is...enough. I agree that Adele is new and fresh, she is very different from most young singers and it's great that she has a #1 ballad. But... As someone said, Celine has already been there. Everyone has a career peak and then...things change. You can't be at #1 your whole career through. Celine has already had her share of popularity. Quote 16 YEARS A FORUM MEMBER
RomualdlovesCeline Posted September 11, 2011 at 02:56 PM Posted September 11, 2011 at 02:56 PM What do you mean? I don't get it. We have heard about the new French album since before the twins were born; she was supposed to record it before even the twins were born but they kept delaying it until next week, month and now we won't have it until 2012; if the album had enough material to be good album she would have recorded it by now and it would have been released a long time ago. Quote
celine4evauk Posted September 11, 2011 at 04:11 PM Posted September 11, 2011 at 04:11 PM Yes, i believe Celine could have another major worldwide hit - if the right opportunity came along. I hope so, would love to see it happen sometime. Personally, Adele is getting on my bloody nerves now. Really loved a few of her songs (hate it when she tries to sing high though, makes me cringe), but starting to not like them now as they're being played soooo much. Still adore Rolling In The Deep though. Its a shame Adele's having so much trouble with her voice lately. Celine's more of an album and show artist now - not a top 10/number one song artist. Bit of a shame but not the end of the world. And to comment on Celine being a mum and working etc - if i was as rich as her i wouldn't be working AT ALL!!! Not matter what i did for a living, and how much i loved it, i still wouldn't be doing it. But then, i'm a lazy cow sometimes!!! Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.