nearfarwhereveryouare Posted August 2, 2009 at 05:28 PM Posted August 2, 2009 at 05:28 PM Sorry if there is already a thread on this, but I couldn't seem to find one. What is Celine's greatest ever live performance? Something technically amazing but also very emotional? Quote
Myheartwillgoon-91 Posted August 2, 2009 at 08:58 PM Posted August 2, 2009 at 08:58 PM I believe this is the BEST My Heart Will Go On LIVE I ever seen and the BEST Performance by Celine Quote
Tyler1991 Posted August 2, 2009 at 09:11 PM Posted August 2, 2009 at 09:11 PM No particular order. My Heart Will Go On - World Children's DayAll By Myself - Tonight ShowThe Power Of Love - Sonia BenezraLe Blues Du Businessman - Live A ParisCan't Help Falling In Love - The Colour Of My Love ConcertWhere Does My Heart Beat Now (with a capella big note) - Unison ConcertThink Twice - World Music Awards & Gala For PeaceCalling You - Unison ConcertCall The Man - Falling Into You Tour (Montreal)Imagine - Tonight ShowThe Last To Know - Tonight ShowNatural Woman - David Letterman or Brunei These are some of my favorites. 1 Quote
Thomas Posted August 2, 2009 at 09:17 PM Posted August 2, 2009 at 09:17 PM There are loads of technically amazing ones. But when I think about the greatest performance I tend to think about the one that makes me most proud to be a fan, and it would probably be MHWGO from Oscar night 1998. When she walked out that night I was just so proud of what she had achieved and her story kinda just hit me. I saw her rise to fame from that poor little Canadian girl to a superstar with the whole worlds eyes watching her and I just felt so proud to see her on that stage that night. She sang it better other times as it happens but overall I find that performance amazing, for what it stands for rather than how she sang. 1 Quote
Tyler1991 Posted August 2, 2009 at 09:25 PM Posted August 2, 2009 at 09:25 PM There are loads of technically amazing ones. But when I think about the greatest performance I tend to think about the one that makes me most proud to be a fan, and it would probably be MHWGO from Oscar night 1998. When she walked out that night I was just so proud of what she had achieved and her story kinda just hit me. I saw her rise to fame from that poor little Canadian girl to a superstar with the whole worlds eyes watching her and I just felt so proud to see her on that stage that night. She sang it better other times as it happens but overall I find that performance amazing, for what it stands for rather than how she sang. Good Point. It makes me think of the Olympics performance of The Power Of The Dream. While it may have been lipped (as pretty much ALL performances at Olympics are) it was a HUGE moment in her career, in fact she said it was the BIGGEST moment in her career and a huge accomplishment. Then you have the emotional performance of What A Wonderful World performed just a few short hours after fathers death. Vocally it was probably a mess, but the emotions in it were just amazing, and for her to perform that day makes me proud to be a fan. And I almost forgot about "Fly" from Oprah...what a tear jerker! It was vocally amazing and emotionally amazing! It's always amazing seeing Celine sing a song live that has such significance or importance to her, as this one does (same can be said for My Love). I also look back on the performance of MHWGO from Divas '98 which fell on the EXACT date the ship had hit the iceberg. That performance was vocally amazing, and the connection of that performance to the date gave it a whole new significance over other performances. Quote
Thomas Posted August 2, 2009 at 09:28 PM Posted August 2, 2009 at 09:28 PM (edited) Yeah, there are great performances and then there are life defining moments or career defining moments. Celine has had her share of both types. Oooh, another one! L'amour Existe Encore for the 911 tribute. So emotionally charged, one of the best performances she gave in her career. It was so incredibly powerful. Edited August 2, 2009 at 09:32 PM by Thomas Quote
Davey84 Posted August 2, 2009 at 09:40 PM Posted August 2, 2009 at 09:40 PM No particular order. My Heart Will Go On - World Children's DayThe Power Of Love - Sonia BenezraLe Blues Du Businessman - Live A ParisCan't Help Falling In Love - The Colour Of My Love ConcertWhere Does My Heart Beat Now (with a capella big note) - Unison ConcertThink Twice - World Music Awards & Gala For PeaceCalling You - Unison ConcertCall The Man - Falling Into You Tour (Montreal)Imagine - Tonight ShowThe Last To Know - Tonight Show can't agree more! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pzjhy3dpdJsMHWGO World Children's Day Also one of my FAV FAV FAV is Le Blues Du Businessman - Juno's 1999..... with a cracked note, but damn, she showed the world who was the DIVA once more!! that attitude! and emotionally Ton Visage @ Incognito en coulises still get goosebumps! 2 Quote http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v75/daveyh84/incognito198701_zpsaaootxh1.jpgRick, ik hou van jou voor altijd!A New Day... has come 28/29 April & 2/3 May 07Antwerpen 13 et 14 mai,Paris 24 et 25 mai, Amsterdam 2 juinet Arras 7 juillet Chances Taken!!!How Do You Keep The Music Playing? - Celine Opening Night March 15th, March 16th
Timster Posted August 2, 2009 at 09:52 PM Posted August 2, 2009 at 09:52 PM (edited) I absolutely love the performance of My Heart Will Go On at the World Children's Day concert from 2002. Her voice was in perfect condition then and she belted out the high notes amazingly! I'm sure Goodbye's The Saddest Word sounded just as good live that night, but I doubt we'll ever hear it... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pzjhy3dpdJs Edited August 2, 2009 at 09:52 PM by ShuttleDiscovery Quote
Claudette Posted August 2, 2009 at 09:58 PM Posted August 2, 2009 at 09:58 PM (edited) I know this is not the point of this topic, but I first have to say this: This is exactly what I was talking about a few days ago in another topic and why I sometimes hate this forum. I did not know that TPOTD was lipped at the Olympics and I DID NOT NEED TO KNOW IT! Why do some people always feel the need to come and post in every damn topic what songs are lipped. I'm sick of reading a topic and whoop, there it is: Celine lipped this. Maybe some people want to know this but I don't want to know exactly what song is lipped when and where... Back to the topic. This is a tough one. I guess everone hears and sees something different. One of her best performances for me was her duet with Ginette Reno. Edited August 2, 2009 at 10:00 PM by Claudette Quote http://i993.photobucket.com/albums/af51/ClaudetteRobinson/esme.jpg
Claudette Posted August 2, 2009 at 10:17 PM Posted August 2, 2009 at 10:17 PM I just want to add this to my previous post before people start calling me crazy. The reason that I don't want to know this is that the moment you know she lips you start concentrating on the lipping part and you forget all about Celine or why you love a particular song or whatever... It takes the fun out of it... Quote http://i993.photobucket.com/albums/af51/ClaudetteRobinson/esme.jpg
Tyler1991 Posted August 2, 2009 at 10:21 PM Posted August 2, 2009 at 10:21 PM I think you scared people from posting in here now, or at least me. *finds safer topic* LOL Quote
Claudette Posted August 2, 2009 at 10:36 PM Posted August 2, 2009 at 10:36 PM (edited) LOL! I'm sorry if I scared people of, but that is really how I feel about this. I'm starting to think that a lipping topic is not such a bad idea. Then everyone who wants to discuss this can do so without people who don't want to bumping into it in every topic. Anyway, another performance that stands out for me for some reason is: ''My Love'' on Oprah. Edited August 2, 2009 at 10:37 PM by Claudette Quote http://i993.photobucket.com/albums/af51/ClaudetteRobinson/esme.jpg
tonybower Posted August 2, 2009 at 11:12 PM Posted August 2, 2009 at 11:12 PM There are loads of technically amazing ones. But when I think about the greatest performance I tend to think about the one that makes me most proud to be a fan, and it would probably be MHWGO from Oscar night 1998. When she walked out that night I was just so proud of what she had achieved and her story kinda just hit me. I saw her rise to fame from that poor little Canadian girl to a superstar with the whole worlds eyes watching her and I just felt so proud to see her on that stage that night. She sang it better other times as it happens but overall I find that performance amazing, for what it stands for rather than how she sang. Thomas, as always you have managed to say everything in just a few words. The distinction between technically impressive performances and performances which move us for different reasons is a valid and important one. The Oscars performance is significant because of the enormous expectations the world had and the fact that so much depended on it. Céline proved herself to the world that night and it is one of the best performances of that song. Le blues du businessman, as performed in Live a Paris, remains for me Céline's most impressive, breathtaking performance. Céline is visibly confident and this gives the song a power and an energy that I find inspiring. She doesn't seem to anticipate difficult phrases and this makes for a faultless performance. I had fallen in love with the song when I heard it on a cassette of Live a l'Olympia in 1995 but when I saw the later performance I was mesmerised and I watch it repeatedly even today. It actually makes me feel happy. I agree with other suggestions made here, but I would add The Prayer at WCD and also at the CBS Special. I prefer the latter because Céline's voice seems more raw. I would also add her performance with Mauranne of Quand on n'a que l'amour and both performances of Si dieu existe. I also love this version of The Power Of Love... ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPpYXfGCGME ) It's only short but I remember watching it on TV and although I didn't realise at the time, I think it must have been the first time I'd heard her sing the chorus 100% live. I would say that every live performance of The Power Of Love that I have seen is pretty impressive. Considering she lips it during concerts, every time she has sung it live, she has managed to deliver and I would give anything to have her sing it live once again. Another one for me is her closing performance of Ce n'était qu'un reve at the Millenium concert. It was a very poignant and significant moment in Céline's career and one that has always stood out in my mind. With the exception of the last song, my suggestions probably are not memorable in terms of emotional energy or context but they are all performances that make me proud to be a Céline fan. Whenever I want to demonstrate to non-believers just how incredible Céline is, these are the performances I show them! 1 Quote iPod Most Played List The Power Of Love (several versions) - Céline DionThe First Time Ever I Saw Your Face - Roberta FlackSi dieu existe - Céline Dion & Claude DuBoisFrankenstein - Antony & the JohnsonsIn Some Small Way - Céline DionBird Gerhl - Antony & the JohnsonsLe blues du businessman - Céline Dion Ne rien savoir de Lol était la connaître déjà.
nearfarwhereveryouare Posted August 2, 2009 at 11:30 PM Author Posted August 2, 2009 at 11:30 PM I really love her performance of At Last on Oprah. But there are many others that I'd rank near her best. Quote
nearfarwhereveryouare Posted August 2, 2009 at 11:35 PM Author Posted August 2, 2009 at 11:35 PM Just out of interest, what songs has she performed on Oprah? I swear I've seen her do like 50 Because You Loved Me performances on there. Quote
angelil78 Posted August 2, 2009 at 11:45 PM Posted August 2, 2009 at 11:45 PM I´m gonna need another week of vacation to watch all those Youtube videos Quote
Tyler1991 Posted August 3, 2009 at 12:55 AM Posted August 3, 2009 at 12:55 AM Oprah? Because You Loved Me (2007, 2004, 2002, 1998, 1996)My Heart Will Go On (2007, 2002, 1998)A New Day Has Come (2002, 2007)Fly (1997)Ce Ne'tait Qu'un ReveThe Power Of Love (1997, 1998)Where Does My Heart Beat Now (1997)If You Asked Me To (1997)Love Can Move Mountains (1998)At Last (2002)Miracle? (2004?)My Love (2008)I Drove All Night (2007)Beauty And The Beast (1996)Taking Chances (2007)Alone (2007) I'm sure I forgot a few. Btw, does anyone know if she was on Oprah in 1992 and 1993? I heard she was? If so, what was performed? Quote
ajguerras Posted August 3, 2009 at 02:51 AM Posted August 3, 2009 at 02:51 AM God bless America Live in a tribute to heroes... A perfect vocal perfomance, and very very very sensitive... I cried watching it !!! The oscars at 1998 I could not agree more to Thomas. All by myself Live at the Grammy's m that What the very first time she proove a big audience the great singer she is, In fact , with that perfomance she got an outstandig ovation from others musician what makes the moment very remarkable... That was her very first great night, she ate the whole world that day and became an awarded and truly respected singer... Quote I need someone to loves m like Celine loved René... And just like she sang in LTAL track # 16, I ask for that exact same thingwww.twitter.com/ajguerras
Lymon Posted August 3, 2009 at 04:17 AM Posted August 3, 2009 at 04:17 AM My Love at Oprah was a really great performance. Also, I really love In Some Small Way on Jay Leno, Can't Help Falling in Love from TCOML concert, Je danse dans ma tête live at A'Olympia, and basically any performance from the Olympia concert. Quote http://i51.tinypic.com/2uf4r5f.png
CelineAndRene Posted August 3, 2009 at 04:47 AM Posted August 3, 2009 at 04:47 AM My Heart Will Go On - World Children's Day Quote "...It's the circle of life. You gotta look forward. Two days during the year there's nothing you can do about: yesterday and tomorrow. Today is a great day." - Celine Dion, People.
JP Posted August 3, 2009 at 05:48 AM Posted August 3, 2009 at 05:48 AM So difficult!! The Power of the Dream - OlympicsI was kinda young, didn't realise how big was that moment when i saw it live on tv Le blues du businessman - JunosWhen she had a problem with one of the first notes, she give so much after that! L'amour existe encore - 2001My first time seeing Celine live, such a great moment, so much emotions! Think Twice - World Music AwardsHer voice was just sooooo strong! Quote http://static-illicoweb.videotron.com/illicoweb/static/webtv/images/content/player/TVA_Celine_Dion_Sans_Attendre_Vf_WT_Poster.jpg
Frida Posted August 3, 2009 at 06:01 AM Posted August 3, 2009 at 06:01 AM I know this is not the point of this topic, but I first have to say this: This is exactly what I was talking about a few days ago in another topic and why I sometimes hate this forum. I did not know that TPOTD was lipped at the Olympics and I DID NOT NEED TO KNOW IT! Why do some people always feel the need to come and post in every damn topic what songs are lipped. I'm sick of reading a topic and whoop, there it is: Celine lipped this. Maybe some people want to know this but I don't want to know exactly what song is lipped when and where... Back to the topic. This is a tough one. I guess everone hears and sees something different. One of her best performances for me was her duet with Ginette Reno. well IMO it's quite relevant in here. The OP asked for her best LIVE performance, not the best lipped performance, so if someone finds a particular one very well sung when it in fact is well mimed then it ought to be said.. it doesn't make me like Celine any less, it's just a fact, and I don't see the point in denying it. I will not pretend that a song is live when it isn't just to make me or anyone else feel better.. Quote http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p234/celinedion_56/tcc2copy3_zps08f18352.pnghttp://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p234/celinedion_56/tccgallery-1.png
Tyler1991 Posted August 3, 2009 at 06:07 AM Posted August 3, 2009 at 06:07 AM Well said. Some topics it is more relevant in then others. If we went into Frida's Fashion Thread and said...OMG SHE LIPPED EXACTLY 842 PERFORMANCES WEARING THIS DRESS...then yeah, completely irrelevant. lol Quote
Selina286 Posted August 3, 2009 at 06:39 AM Posted August 3, 2009 at 06:39 AM I think it's God Bless America for 9/11 Quote
Shamrock_1982 Posted August 3, 2009 at 06:56 AM Posted August 3, 2009 at 06:56 AM I agree with many of the performances mentioned, but for me I thought she sounded amazing during ''Diva's - In Las Vegas'' signing A new day has come, but especially I'm alive... She sounded so fresh, crystal clear, and her voice was on top form.I have the cd from the show ad can't get enough of listening o this version of ''I'm alive'' Darren. Quote
Scramasboy Posted August 3, 2009 at 06:58 AM Posted August 3, 2009 at 06:58 AM God Bless America 2001=L'amour existe Encore [spelling out of memory dont slap me] 2001And this: I don't know why, but that a new day has come rehursal makes me seriously tear up it's so beautiful. 1 Quote http://68.media.tumblr.com/0215da4dacb45f3375c9bf63cb89e9c3/tumblr_o3edqjdnpP1s2lrfeo1_1280.png
ks1981 Posted August 3, 2009 at 07:22 AM Posted August 3, 2009 at 07:22 AM For me I choose All By Myself at the Billboard Awards & Think Twice - Gala performance. And without doubt River Deep from Vegas. 1 Quote
dolores Posted August 3, 2009 at 09:55 AM Posted August 3, 2009 at 09:55 AM I'd say my fave one " Refuse to Dance " Quote http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/478226kiss.gif "Musically, I always allow myself to jump off of cliffs.At least that's what it feels like to me.Whether that's what it actually sounds like might depend on what the listener brings to the songs."
Thomas Posted August 3, 2009 at 10:06 AM Posted August 3, 2009 at 10:06 AM Celine never performed that live. Quote
nearfarwhereveryouare Posted August 3, 2009 at 01:04 PM Author Posted August 3, 2009 at 01:04 PM Oprah? Because You Loved Me (2007, 2004, 2002, 1998, 1996)My Heart Will Go On (2007, 2002, 1998)A New Day Has Come (2002, 2007)Fly (1997)Ce Ne'tait Qu'un ReveThe Power Of Love (1997, 1998)Where Does My Heart Beat Now (1997)If You Asked Me To (1997)Love Can Move Mountains (1998)At Last (2002)Miracle? (2004?)My Love (2008)I Drove All Night (2007)Beauty And The Beast (1996)Taking Chances (2007)Alone (2007) I'm sure I forgot a few. Btw, does anyone know if she was on Oprah in 1992 and 1993? I heard she was? If so, what was performed? WOW! There's a lot of performances I still need to check out! Is Celine one of Oprah's favourite singers? Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.