Jump to content

Is Celine Dion getting the respect she deserves?


Recommended Posts

Posted

You would think that having the best selling new female album of 2013 in the UK would get you a Best International Female Artist nomination for the Brit Awards. I thought that a nomination for Celine was almost a guarantee but I guess not. :(

I was sure she would get a nomination too , very disappointing!! It would have been nice to see her get the nomination and maybe perform too if the schedule worked out!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_-RQtOAL6F2I/TAZl-_MB2AI/AAAAAAAAAiI/bkJK6a44q3o/s1600/celine-dion-goodbyes-the-saddest-word.jpg
Posted

I agree with your post especially that last bit. It is not a bash against Vegas for me though because like you say it allows her family time, stability. She needs to be happy first before she puts everyone else first!

Exactly! I love that she's in Vegas and she can have the best of both worlds. I just wish they'd update the show regularly.....give us all more motivation to go more often. LOL Plus, I know she has to be tired of singing the same songs every night.

  • Like 2

~Liz
"Please don't make your career your life. Let it be your passion, let it bring you pleasure, but don't let it become your identity. You are so much more valuable than that." -Celine

Posted

I love her even more for this. In my opinion, a person can be "the most" whatever, if he/she isn´t a good citizen, good in personal life, means nothing to me.

I agree. It's one of the reasons I respect her more as an artist and as a human being. She has become so well known for so many things and being a rarity in the industry. Unfortunately, especially here in the US, it doesn't necessarily translate too well and people just don't get it, which I think affects her career and is another reason why she doesn't garner the respect she deserves here. I think to some degree people think she's too perfect but the world needs more role models like her.

  • Like 6

~Liz
"Please don't make your career your life. Let it be your passion, let it bring you pleasure, but don't let it become your identity. You are so much more valuable than that." -Celine

Posted

Thats to show you all that the U.S. Music industry media do not think highly of Celine like they used to. Sad. Its funny she cant get promotion or nobody to have her back here. BUT she is an embarassment to talk about to people? Really! Trust me if she wasnt in Vegas and she were to have concerts in venues in cities her concerts would sell out here. I dont get and I am through getting it.

I've always wondered about this too. She sells out all of her concerts, even here in the US no matter where she goes yet no one wants to really talk about her because it's "not cool" or whatever. It's almost like she's America's dirty little secret. :giggle: We all love her, respect her, and realize she has this amazing voice. But we jump on the bandwagon to trash her and mock MHWGO so we look cool as well. Silly, stupid Americans! :doh: Ugh....

  • Like 2

~Liz
"Please don't make your career your life. Let it be your passion, let it bring you pleasure, but don't let it become your identity. You are so much more valuable than that." -Celine

Posted
^^^I realize now I could have multi-quoted those. LOL

~Liz
"Please don't make your career your life. Let it be your passion, let it bring you pleasure, but don't let it become your identity. You are so much more valuable than that." -Celine

Posted
At this point I'm pretty satisfied the album did well. To get an award seemed like a bonus... I will not be surprised if Canada neglects her too.
  • Like 1
Posted

You would think that having the best selling new female album of 2013 in the UK would get you a Best International Female Artist nomination for the Brit Awards. I thought that a nomination for Celine was almost a guarantee but I guess not. /browse.php?u=MsqCuvfk9juIsM7MbFCbopi48crCNSRl9KUJwgEosx0PFvJ6%2Ft2pGyCKWPSmm01kSdSjIb8SZ8mriKJq8A6K6vs%3D&b=53

 

Maybe because the album suddenly dropped to 41 in the UK chart?

Posted

Unfortunately, especially here in the US, it doesn't necessarily translate too well and people just don't get it, which I think affects her career and is another reason why she doesn't garner the respect she deserves here. I think to some degree people think she's too perfect but the world needs more role models like her.

 

It´s true. We live in a culture that valorizes well succeeded people, no matter what it costs

Team Céline Dion Brazil

@lu_celinefan

Posted

At this point I'm pretty satisfied the album did well. To get an award seemed like a bonus... I will not be surprised if Canada neglects her too.

I'm happy with this album too! I could care less about the charts.....for any artist I like. Of course I always want Celine to do well and I think she could do better than she has done, even though she still does really well, generally speaking. I just like the album itself. The new material is amazing!! I do wish more people here would recognize this.....

  • Like 5

~Liz
"Please don't make your career your life. Let it be your passion, let it bring you pleasure, but don't let it become your identity. You are so much more valuable than that." -Celine

Posted

I missed this topic, but I have some thoughts on this.

 

Celine is a huge celebrity. She's reached the highest status of fame you possibly could in the entertainment industry. However, she's always been very down to earth. She doesn't look at herself as the high almighty superstar like most other celebrities do these days. She's outlasted all of the biggest megastars from the 90's because of this. She's still going strong and has an amazing show in Vegas. (One could argue that this might not be the smarts decision, but that's another discussion) Another thing is her music genre, it's never changed. Sure, it's different, but she's never changed her image.

 

When the critics write articles about her, they often tend to joke around that she will "go on and on". Most commonly referred to her Las Vegas residency. And for us fans, it might be annoying, but the critics always gives her the respect she deserves for being able to have such a huge show in Las Vegas. Even though they might not like her, they usually acknowledge her talent. This is always the punchline, however it might be very poorly written because they don't care to write a very profound article. If the reviews are negative, they will say that Celine sings without emotion or that she screams too much. (Which I think its utter bullshit, but whatever.) They still manage to acknowledge her massive talent, but they might also say they don't like it. Celine doesn't look at herself as the most amazing talented person ever, and she is kind of silly. And she's never been a scandalous celebrity. She's always had her act together. So the only other punchline they have is to say something stupid. Sometimes to try and make it more funny, though it usually comes off as the person writing the article is just brain dead.

 

I think she get's the respect she deserves from most people (and celebrities). But occasionally some idiot will say something stupid just for the sake of saying it. This happens to a lot of other celebrities too. In Celine's case, she's never done anything really stupid, so whomever have nothing up their sleeve. So they might mock her instead. Compared to most other celebrities, her career is flawless. However, she has been around for a long time, doing the same thing, and some people like to make fun of that rather than to respect it.

 

Take a look at where she comes from, and where she is today.

  • Like 2
Posted
Her time was the 90's. What we should be focusing on is her legacy. She's known as the woman with the best voice ever. In her prime she was huge. Do you think when Britney is 45 she's going to be remembered in a positive light? Celine is synonymous with talent. Even today's teenagers know her as the woman with the best voice in the world. The impression that even the youngest generation has of her, is that she has a hell of a voice. Yes, she absolutely gets the recognition she deserves. She is recognized as the best singer ever.
  • Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...