Lu CelineFan Posted December 25, 2013 at 07:39 PM Posted December 25, 2013 at 07:39 PM How is this possible? LTAL sold 1m copies there and FIY 800k, huge sales for an international singer. She also scored hits during the 90s..! Oh, it´s possible. We are 200 million inhabitants. In the 90´s we used to have her songs played on soap operas, because of this the selling was higher. Cause people here are soap opera zombies. 3 Quote Team Céline Dion Brazil@lu_celinefan
Prima_Donna1 Posted December 25, 2013 at 07:53 PM Posted December 25, 2013 at 07:53 PM Oh, it´s possible. We are 200 million inhabitants. In the 90´s we used to have her songs played on soap operas, because of this the selling was higher. Cause people here are soap opera zombies.I have a friend from Puerto Rico who has an addiction to brazilian soap opera's. She can't get enough of them. She even had a crush on an brazilian actor but this is all another story. 1 Quote Apprends-Moi tes Secrets...http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy180/miss_daly2881/post-1110-0-56076900-1358706235_thumb.jpg
Javito Posted December 25, 2013 at 08:57 PM Posted December 25, 2013 at 08:57 PM (edited) I think it was smart to wait 6 years for her new album!! The general public was sick of hearing Celine all the time. So she had to disappear for some time. And I agree that her peak has passed and she is fully aware of it. And so is René. That's why René played the Vegas card (even if I'm not the biggest Vegas fan). He knew what was coming... If that was really René's card, he played it to perfection: he killed all artistic ambition in Céline's career very good He played safe indeed, because Vegas is safety for them, but its also artistic stagnation to death, especially with the current show Some may see that card move of René as "genius", but for some others (including other artists, critics and radio DJ's) that means the death of a career, the comfort of playing always safe and never taking any risks to grow as an artist. Edited December 25, 2013 at 09:20 PM by Javito 4 Quote "Hush, now... I see a light in the sky"
Peppercorn1991 Posted December 25, 2013 at 09:37 PM Posted December 25, 2013 at 09:37 PM If that was really René's card, he played it to perfection: he killed all artistic ambition in Céline's career very good He played safe indeed, because Vegas is safety for them, but its also artistic stagnation to death, especially with the current show Some may see that card move of René as "genius", but for some others (including other artists, critics and radio DJ's) that means the death of a career, the comfort of playing always safe and never taking any risks to grow as an artist. There is defiantly some risks in the new album!!! But yes get what ur getting at Kev x 1 Quote
LuisMa Posted December 25, 2013 at 09:43 PM Posted December 25, 2013 at 09:43 PM (edited) I will expand on my thoughts later as I am tired tonight, but when it comes to LV I think she gets a lot of recognition and respect, being the trendsetter who paved the road for many artists and brought LV (pardon the pun) back to life. Edited December 25, 2013 at 09:43 PM by LuisMa 7 Quote
Popular Post Alex_Incognito Posted December 25, 2013 at 10:42 PM Popular Post Posted December 25, 2013 at 10:42 PM From what I saw at Bercy last month,I will say she's doing just fine. 13 Quote "People pay 20-25 dollars to see you."- Céline Dion, 1990
Alex_Incognito Posted December 25, 2013 at 10:44 PM Posted December 25, 2013 at 10:44 PM but for some others (including other artists, critics and radio DJ's) that means the death of a career, the comfort of playing always safe and never taking any risks to grow as an artist. She proved them wrong. Her career is strong and fairly stable. Maybe as an artist she's limited, but that's a matter of opinion. Her last 2 albums are far from awful. 5 Quote "People pay 20-25 dollars to see you."- Céline Dion, 1990
Popular Post LuisMa Posted December 25, 2013 at 11:44 PM Popular Post Posted December 25, 2013 at 11:44 PM Here are some points I brainstormed about Celine and the respect people/media have toward her: Since she started in the music business, it’s been hard for the media and tabloids to publish scandalous news about her because not only she’s had a private life, but her upbringing and life style has kept her out of any strange situations that could make people talk badly about her. As she started growing in the English market, she built a reputation for her big voice, contemporary videos and clean cut image. She wasn’t the pop star everyone wanted to see because she was selling her image, but she started a following based on her music and nice manners, which built up until it reached the mega star proportions we all know now.With megastardom sometimes it’s unavoidable that people start trying to put you down or tumble your pedestal. Still, she kept gracious about the jokes made about her, and said something that is really true: when people start talking about you, it must mean that something good has been done. Several of her songs were inescapable and reached unimaginable statuses. People may say that they are tired of them or that they hate them. I think that deep down, they may know the lyrics by heart or end up singing them whenever they come on the radio. Some people just want to say bad things for the sake of doing it. And if they don’t really like her, they should move on to another artist and leave her amazing music to people like us who appreciate her. Some celebrities (Daughtry is an example that comes to mind) have said that they are closeted Celine fans. Even though they wouldn’t play her music in public or with friends for fear of being ridiculed, they privately do, as they know the quality of the recordings… I believe this also happens to a lot of people. They don’t admit they like her, but privately, they do listen to her. I believe she also has a lot of respect for being the intelligent woman, caring wife and loving mother she is. She has put her family to business first, and though we may not like some of these decisions, it is something a real person would do. She’s a real woman, period. Some people of course did become tired in her heyday because she was all over the place, and that was understandable, and I agree with what Alan said that it’s better sometimes to give people some kind of space so they can start enjoying the music again… however, I do feel that 6 years is too much, and I hope the next English record does not come too far from today. As for Las Vegas, I stated my point: she’s a leader, not a follower, and she’s respected and will be forever known for that. Sorry if I rambled a bit, as I am really tired, but I had some ideas on my mind that if I didn’t jot down, I wouldn’t have remembered tomorrow. 10 Quote
brujocrow Posted December 26, 2013 at 12:19 AM Posted December 26, 2013 at 12:19 AM Don´t get concerned. It´s the same that ask people if they like caviar. I love caviar. I jammed with him in the 80's. Dude can't sing though. 1 Quote Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world, than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled. Neil Ellwood Peart
PuraVida Posted December 26, 2013 at 07:40 AM Posted December 26, 2013 at 07:40 AM In the United States, at least, I think not. But then again, the songs she is known for and what she sings means she won't gain more respect. If she keeps at it with LCMM and MHWGO, then she will not be recognized for her HISTORIC voice and her amazing repertoire. Plus, she never goes full diva and shows her talent. Her voice is not showcased when she lips or when she is tired...and when she is STUCK in vegas. ----sigh------ 1 Quote
Lu CelineFan Posted December 26, 2013 at 10:30 AM Posted December 26, 2013 at 10:30 AM I believe she also has a lot of respect for being the intelligent woman, caring wife and loving mother she is. She has put her family to business first, and though we may not like some of these decisions, it is something a real person would do. She's a real woman, period. I love her even more for this. In my opinion, a person can be "the most" whatever, if he/she isn´t a good citizen, good in personal life, means nothing to me. 1 Quote Team Céline Dion Brazil@lu_celinefan
shak ali Posted December 26, 2013 at 10:44 AM Posted December 26, 2013 at 10:44 AM This thread is in danger of becoming the 'Celine Legacy'. As fans it is up to us to make Celine heard without reliance on the invisible market that is not buying her new album particularly in the states. Yes the industry has changed in the past few years, yes the consumer consumption patterns have changed but in a world where social media is more influencial than ever in spreading the word I would argue that we as fans need to take the bull by the horns and drive this album hard. Celine Dion vs The Radio....how do we make her #1 and show the industry that she doesn't need radio support to reign supreme once more? The music is great, she is looking and sounding amazing, what are we waiting for? Enough of rationale jousting and time for action! Quote
LukeD Posted December 26, 2013 at 10:55 AM Posted December 26, 2013 at 10:55 AM This thread is in danger of becoming the 'Celine Legacy'. As fans it is up to us to make Celine heard without reliance on the invisible market that is not buying her new album particularly in the states. Yes the industry has changed in the past few years, yes the consumer consumption patterns have changed but in a world where social media is more influencial than ever in spreading the word I would argue that we as fans need to take the bull by the horns and drive this album hard. Celine Dion vs The Radio....how do we make her #1 and show the industry that she doesn't need radio support to reign supreme once more? The music is great, she is looking and sounding amazing, what are we waiting for? Enough of rationale jousting and time for action!Your comment has barely anything to do with this thread, so don't throw shade to those who talk about her legacy. 2 Quote
Popular Post wjd Posted December 26, 2013 at 04:58 PM Popular Post Posted December 26, 2013 at 04:58 PM As a vocalist, she's always at or very close to the top of the pile according to most. As an artist, she's very much middle-of-the-road - though nobody can ever doubt that her big hit songs are not extremely popular. She arguably brought French and Canadian culture and music to a wider audience than anybody else in music has ever done so. As a live performer, she's the greatest of her generation - she single-handedly reinvented Las Vegas, and what it means to be a "current" performer. She'll never be regarded as a great musician or potentially not even a great artist as she's written very few songs and performed a great many covers, but she more than makes up for this by the extraordinary voice she has and her live performance reputation. The mainstream media get it these days - she's treated as an ultra-legend of the highest echelon by most - but its taken her 20 years to gain this respect. And goodness me, she deserves it - nobody's worked harder to get their place in music, in the last 25 years. 10 Quote Céline Dion, music's greatest ever singer, the biggest-selling Canadian artist of all-time and most successful female live act ever - what's not to love?
eduardomolina Posted December 26, 2013 at 07:45 PM Posted December 26, 2013 at 07:45 PM Sorry but I have to disagree with you. Maybe in your social environment, but "everyone" is a lot of diverse people. You don´t have to be sorry for disagreeing, that´s ok but I meant that when you say the name "celine dion", a huge amount of people recognize, even relating her to "titanic song". Of course the word "everyone" was not the best choice, but I do think that she is respected here. My friends love (Rihanna, Katy, lady gaga) and they barely know celine´s songs but they always praise her voice and her career. 1 Quote
québecflower Posted December 26, 2013 at 11:02 PM Posted December 26, 2013 at 11:02 PM If that was really René's card, he played it to perfection: he killed all artistic ambition in Céline's career very good He played safe indeed, because Vegas is safety for them, but its also artistic stagnation to death, especially with the current show Some may see that card move of René as "genius", but for some others (including other artists, critics and radio DJ's) that means the death of a career, the comfort of playing always safe and never taking any risks to grow as an artist.it could be better, but how could have killed all artistic ambition in Celine's career when she have just released two of her best albums, it died a little but i think she took a major turn lately.. 4 Quote Plus qu'ailleurs , but now Si c'était à refaire , i still love tant de temps....
peanut91 Posted December 27, 2013 at 01:52 AM Author Posted December 27, 2013 at 01:52 AM Thanks for the replies everyone, it was interesting to see everyone else's opinions about it. I agree on the consensus that celine is respected for her voice, and i think that there are closeted celine dion fans. but why! I mean being madonna fan, mariah fan, etc. I'm sure every artist has a backlash of one song, but i never regard titanic as a backlash, because its the first time in probably 50 years that a movie came along with a theme song that fit so well. I mean even after that movie, many movies have tried to find that right formula, but it never really worked, while there were some good ones, the best movie/song combo was titanic and my heart will go on. i always mention to people that celine never really wanted to sing the song, and they always are shocked about it.. Quote
Javito Posted December 27, 2013 at 08:20 AM Posted December 27, 2013 at 08:20 AM it could be better, but how could have killed all artistic ambition in Celine's career when she have just released two of her best albums, it died a little but i think she took a major turn lately.. Haha glad that you consider them two of her best works, but that's a very subjective point of view! I won't say a word about LMBTL because I've already said what I think about it many times, but in Sans Attendre's case, I agree its a good album, though not better than SSDA, Dion Chante Plamondon or 1F&4T! But that's a very subjective feeling like I said 1 Quote "Hush, now... I see a light in the sky"
comingback Posted December 27, 2013 at 09:48 AM Posted December 27, 2013 at 09:48 AM (edited) Thanks for the replies everyone, it was interesting to see everyone else's opinions about it. I agree on the consensus that celine is respected for her voice, and i think that there are closeted celine dion fans. but why! I mean being madonna fan, mariah fan, etc. I'm sure every artist has a backlash of one song, but i never regard titanic as a backlash, because its the first time in probably 50 years that a movie came along with a theme song that fit so well. I mean even after that movie, many movies have tried to find that right formula, but it never really worked, while there were some good ones, the best movie/song combo was titanic and my heart will go on. i always mention to people that celine never really wanted to sing the song, and they always are shocked about it.. Right. MHWGO made me a fan. This movie song is something special. Of course there is IWALY etc., but this song matched the movie so well.They tried to copy this formula with I Don't Want to Miss a Thing and There You'll Be, but didn't come close to MHWGO.I was also shocked that Celine didn't want to record the song, but I'm glad she did. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjbDHHHZyQw Edited December 27, 2013 at 09:50 AM by comingback Quote
québecflower Posted December 27, 2013 at 03:23 PM Posted December 27, 2013 at 03:23 PM Haha glad that you consider them two of her best works, but that's a very subjective point of view! I won't say a word about LMBTL because I've already said what I think about it many times, but in Sans Attendre's case, I agree its a good album, though not better than SSDA, Dion Chante Plamondon or 1F&4T! But that's a very subjective feeling like I said you are right...i just finf it more mature, i know that songs are not as catchy but if you compare to Taking chances and D'elles, i would say that this is her best in ten years. So we can hope to have something good still in the future. 4 Quote Plus qu'ailleurs , but now Si c'était à refaire , i still love tant de temps....
LukeD Posted December 27, 2013 at 03:53 PM Posted December 27, 2013 at 03:53 PM (edited) you are right...i just finf it more mature, i know that songs are not as catchy but if you compare to Taking chances and D'elles, i would say that this is her best in ten years. So we can hope to have something good still in the future.I agree. IMO, 'Loved Me Back To Life' surpasses even some of her 90s releases as well. For me, it's a better album than 'Unison', 'Celine Dion' and 'Falling Into You'. I also find it far superior to the bland 'One Heart', snore-fest 'Miracle' and the mixed bag that is 'Taking Chances'. Edited December 27, 2013 at 03:56 PM by LukeD 1 Quote
québecflower Posted December 27, 2013 at 03:57 PM Posted December 27, 2013 at 03:57 PM I agree. IMO, 'Loved Me Back To Life' surpasses many of her 90s releases as well. For me, it's a better album than 'Unison', 'Celine Dion' and 'Falling Into You'.and it has changed some people mindset about Celine. Not easy to do. If she doesn't wait too long to release something else(something good), it will be easier next time. 5 Quote Plus qu'ailleurs , but now Si c'était à refaire , i still love tant de temps....
LukeD Posted December 27, 2013 at 04:14 PM Posted December 27, 2013 at 04:14 PM and it has changed some people mindset about Celine. Not easy to do. If she doesn't wait too long to release something else(something good), it will be easier next time.Yes. This album might be the 'bridge' to something cooler! 7 Quote
Bell Posted December 27, 2013 at 05:09 PM Posted December 27, 2013 at 05:09 PM Yes. This album might be the 'bridge' to something cooler!I truly hope it is! Quote 16 YEARS A FORUM MEMBER
DionFanAlways Posted December 27, 2013 at 05:35 PM Posted December 27, 2013 at 05:35 PM Yeah that's the key, not waiting so long for the next album!! 4 Quote I have had the time of my life following this woman! Much love.
celine4evauk Posted December 27, 2013 at 05:53 PM Posted December 27, 2013 at 05:53 PM Celine said back in the 90's that she's not really interested how an album/single sells or whether she's No.1 etc. As long as she's got an audience and perform for them she's happy. And since 2003 that's been the case. 3 Quote
Celine Fan 77 Posted December 28, 2013 at 11:16 AM Posted December 28, 2013 at 11:16 AM In my opinion, Celine is actually getting the respect she deserves, basically all around the world. But she would be even more respected if she wrote at least a couple of songs for each album and promoted them as her own material, like that brilliant short interview for VH1 in which she talks about the song 'Don't Save It All For Christmas Day'.She also should show more how much she cares about her career and we'd have a perfect situation. 7 Quote Tournée Européenne in Paris (December 1, 2013) Céline Dion Live 2016 in Antwerp (June 20, 2016) Céline Dion Live 2017 in Birmingham (July 27, 2017) Céline Dion à Paris (September 12, 2026)
Javito Posted January 7, 2014 at 11:31 PM Posted January 7, 2014 at 11:31 PM (edited) I didn't know where to put this, but I just remembered about this special edition boxset in my collection of Celine pictures. I think they keep selling this item currently at the Vegas boutique. This box is really like "water and a flame", it represents the opposites, because what's represented outside has nothing to do with what's inside. How ironic! Edited January 7, 2014 at 11:34 PM by Javito 3 Quote "Hush, now... I see a light in the sky"
Kian Posted January 7, 2014 at 11:35 PM Posted January 7, 2014 at 11:35 PM That's beautiful :w00t: . First time I see this! Was it expensive? Quote
nuts2you Posted January 7, 2014 at 11:35 PM Posted January 7, 2014 at 11:35 PM Boy I would love to have that Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.