Jump to content

Celine Dion to perform on the Jimmy Kimmel Live! show - September 6, 2013


Recommended Posts

Posted

I think Celine looks fantastic!!

She is a natural beauty!!

Like come on she is 45 with a son going into his teen years and twin toddlers!! Who wouldn't have a few lines.

I love Celine for being herself in an industry where so many others aren't.

She has stayed true to herself in every sense of the word and never bought into the Hollywood look!

One of the reasons I look up to her so much!!

I like my celebrities with real talent , real personalities and their real face!! Lol

 

best post ever.

  • Like 4

http://images.lpcdn.ca/435x290/201103/17/305341.jpg

 

Merci Céline pour ces deux soirées inoubliables que j'ai passées à tes côtés. Je ne les oublierais jamais.

J't'adore Céline.

Merci.

<3

Posted (edited)

Are you kidding me, lol in Quebec she was truly amazing live... wish we had the hd blu ray now to show you what i saw and heard that night.. trust me.. Celine doesn't give it all to Vegas like back then with Fowl owl dose times...

 

Celine was great at les plaines but the long term vocal damage that she is inflicting upon herself by committing to this second Vegas run was still evident. Pitch issues, which she also had then, are a sign that you are losing control over your instrument. it's a sign that your vocal muscles are tired. What I'm saying is that for Celine to be at her best as a vocalist, at this stage in her life, she'll have to radically rethink her concert schedule. She should be doing two shows a month, for example, instead of 70 a year. She's gotten into this weird pattern where she abuses her voice and then talks about how she doesn't care if she hits a bad note and she thinks it makes her seem down to earth -- and she obviously had a lot of issues with being OCD / perfectionist about her voice up until 2000 and she's still rebelling against that -- but what she forgets is that the people, and not just "the fans," want to hear her at her best. We want to hear her as she was meant to be heard; we want to hear her sharing her gift, not doing her job. And that's what singing has become to her; a job. She needs to recognize that singing is an art and that she isn't going to experience the type of success and recognition she wants without making a bigger commitment to caring for her voice. That is all. Point is: missing a high note is one thing, but pitch issues point to something deeper. Pitchiness is not a one-time mistake, it's a sign of vocal abuse, and it makes me worried that Celine won't be able to pull off this upcoming round of promo.

Edited by divaslive98
  • Like 1
Posted

 

Thank God! Now they should cut out her large family talk, then slowly cut out the AND talk and then just concentrate on her music and latest album. I've had enough of the family blah blah :rolleyes:

 

I agree I'm happy just surprised.

Posted (edited)
Oh Good lord. It's not an easy song to sing. She is at a fantastic vocal peak and she isn't performing in Vegas as much as people think. She is doing Vegas right this time. When I heard her there in January she was on freaking fire. Edited by Alex_Incognito
  • Like 7

"People pay 20-25 dollars to see you."

- Céline Dion, 1990

Posted

Oh Good lord. It's not an easy song to sing. She is at a fantastic vocal peak and she isn't performing in Vegas as much as people think. She is doing Vegas right this time. When I herd her there in January she was on freaking fire.

Who doused the flames? Or did the water during MHWGO do the trick, Alex? :giggle:

 

*runs away*

  • Like 2
Posted

We need to keep in mind that Celine does her vocal exercises. She is constantly surrounded by Humidifiers. And she lips syncs the most vocally grueling songs (which I'm just fine with -- so we'll have her instrument for years and years to come!)

 

She has made the decision to keep on performing. And that gives us and many others the opportunity to be in the same room as her and for her to feel connected to her fans. I'm thrilled that she is only doing 70 shows a year vs. the insane schedule while she was in her thirties.

 

Her voice was a little tired on Jimmy on Friday -- but she also just came off a leg of Vegas shows -- then had to prep for all this promotion. She's had a weekend to rest. And hopefully she'll be more refreshed and ready to go next week.

 

Looking at the comments on YouTube, the general public thinks she sounds fabulous. So I think we should maybe back off her a bit. :)

You took the words out of my mouth. I'm surprised by how positive the comments are on youtube. On Jimmy's twitter page they weren't all that great so I'm glad that the tide is turning on people's perceptions of performance.

  • Like 1
Posted

what was Jimmy holding??? Please tell me it was the LP!!

:ohyeah: :ohyeah: :ohyeah:

  • Like 1
http://i43.tinypic.com/vne96v.jpg

Posted (edited)

 

 

Celine was great at les plaines but the long term vocal damage that she is inflicting upon herself by committing to this second Vegas run was still evident. Pitch issues, which she also had then, are a sign that you are losing control over your instrument. it's a sign that your vocal muscles are tired. What I'm saying is that for Celine to be at her best as a vocalist, at this stage in her life, she'll have to radically rethink her concert schedule. She should be doing two shows a month, for example, instead of 70 a year. She's gotten into this weird pattern where she abuses her voice and then talks about how she doesn't care if she hits a bad note and she thinks it makes her seem down to earth -- and she obviously had a lot of issues with being OCD / perfectionist about her voice up until 2000 and she's still rebelling against that -- but what she forgets is that the people, and not just "the fans," want to hear her at her best. We want to hear her as she was meant to be heard; we want to hear her sharing her gift, not doing her job. And that's what singing has become to her; a job. She needs to recognize that singing is an art and that she isn't going to experience the type of success and recognition she wants without making a bigger commitment to caring for her voice. That is all. Point is: missing a high note is one thing, but pitch issues point to something deeper. Pitchiness is not a one-time mistake, it's a sign of vocal abuse, and it makes me worried that Celine won't be able to pull off this upcoming round of promo.

 

Pitchiness is not caused by vocal abuse nor is a sign that someone is losing control of their instrument. Celine has always had excellent pitch. If a singer is flat, it means they can't hear themselves properly.

Edited by streep101
  • Like 7
Posted

Pitchiness is not caused by vocal abuse nor is a sign that someone is losing control of their instrument. Celine has always had excellent pitch. If a singer is flat, it means they can't hear themselves properly.

 

Exactly. Celine had issues with her ear piece which she later took off. She has always had great intonation and this asset will never go away. It's a natural thing.

  • Like 4
Posted
Great interview and performance. She held her own very well with this slick comic. Hope the momentum doesn't die after this week.
Posted (edited)
I've been looking through the comments regarding this appearance and I'm surprised to see no one point out what I felt was a strange/combative exchange between Celine and Jimmy for the second part of the interview. Did anyone else notice this? I think it started when he joked that her parents couldn't possibly afford a buffet for the whole family..which she cleverly rebutted. Then he joked that she was rebuliding a bigger house to replace her Florida home, though she quickly informed him it was to replace her smaller Vegas home. He then insnuated that her kids were so spoiled that they tired of the water park after three days. It was one jab after another, and I could tell by her tone that she was getting annoyed. It continued after he laughed in her face about eating desert on the back of plates, which she lovingly first described on Ellen's show. It's a cute story that's not supposed to be funny. After the commerical break, he made fun of her single/album's title "Loved Me Back to Life" jokingly referring to it as "medically impossible". She tried to poignantly defend it by making reference to the healing powers of music, but he continued to laugh it off. He just wouldn't take her seriously -- on any level. I looked at her face at the end of the interview and it seemed to me that she wanted to punch him right there. I honestly thought that was the reason she was so off during her performance because she had to sing while fuming. To me, she looked pissed through parts of the song. Though I do think it was perhaps sound issues. (Although her Dance With My Father tribute a few years back disproves that she needs ear monitors to sing well...) Anyway - I thought he was a sarcastic #ss, and I think she did, too. Edited by CelineFreak
  • Like 3
Posted

I've been looking through the comments regarding this appearance and I'm surprised to see no one point out what I felt was a strange/combative exchange between Celine and Jimmy for the second part of the interview. Did anyone else notice this? I think it started when he joked that her parents couldn't possibly afford a buffet for the whole family..which she cleverly rebutted. Then he joked that she was rebuliding a bigger house to replace her Florida home, though she quickly informed him it was to replace her smaller Vegas home. He then insnuated that her kids were so spoiled that they tired of the water park after three days. It was one jab after another, and I could tell by her tone that she was getting annoyed. It continued after he laughed in her face about eating desert on the back of plates, which she lovingly first described on Ellen's show. It's a cute story that's not supposed to be funny. After the commerical break, he made fun of her single/album's title "Loved Me Back to Life" jokingly referring to it as "medically impossible". She tried to poignantly defend it by making reference to the healing powers of music, but he continued to laugh it off. He just wouldn't take her seriously -- on any level. I looked at her face at the end of the interview and it seemed to me that she wanted to punch him right there. I honestly thought that was the reason she was so off during her performance because she had to sing while fuming. To me, she looked pissed through parts of the song. Though I do think it was perhaps sound issues. (Although her Dance With My Father tribute a few years back disproves that she needs ear monitors to sing well...) Anyway - I thought he was a sarcastic #ss, and I think she did, too.

 

He is a comedian she knew what she was getting herself into booking JKL... I thought he was great and she was great! Everyone needs to chill and move on lol. Goodnight everyone. :)

  • Like 1
Posted
70 shows a year is nothing compared to the last LV contract.....look at some people on Broadway they sing 5 nights a week sometimes 2 shows a night on weeks. I just think it was the earpiece issue too. Like I said I think we should move on and focus on Ellen this week and the album Nov. 5! Goodnight.
  • Like 1
Posted (edited)

I've been looking through the comments regarding this appearance and I'm surprised to see no one point out what I felt was a strange/combative exchange between Celine and Jimmy for the second part of the interview. Did anyone else notice this? I think it started when he joked that her parents couldn't possibly afford a buffet for the whole family..which she cleverly rebutted. Then he joked that she was rebuliding a bigger house to replace her Florida home, though she quickly informed him it was to replace her smaller Vegas home. He then insnuated that her kids were so spoiled that they tired of the water park after three days. It was one jab after another, and I could tell by her tone that she was getting annoyed. It continued after he laughed in her face about eating desert on the back of plates, which she lovingly first described on Ellen's show. It's a cute story that's not supposed to be funny. After the commerical break, he made fun of her single/album's title "Loved Me Back to Life" jokingly referring to it as "medically impossible". She tried to poignantly defend it by making reference to the healing powers of music, but he continued to laugh it off. He just wouldn't take her seriously -- on any level. I looked at her face at the end of the interview and it seemed to me that she wanted to punch him right there. I honestly thought that was the reason she was so off during her performance because she had to sing while fuming. To me, she looked pissed through parts of the song. Though I do think it was perhaps sound issues. (Although her Dance With My Father tribute a few years back disproves that she needs ear monitors to sing well...) Anyway - I thought he was a sarcastic #ss, and I think she did, too.

 

Oh my gosh, people need to understand that this is the style of how jimmy kimmel interviews, you can't come do a late night interview on kimmel, Leno, or Letterman and expect it to be a serious sit down interview that's just NEVER going to happen, and Celine isn't stupid she knew that was the case when agreed to be a guest, that's how late night shows are conducted.

And the fact of the matter is Celine handled herself immpaccable, she really did a great job and adjusted. When you do a interview the interviewer needs to know the person whom they are interviewing but, what people fail to understand is that it also works in reverse, as a "guest" you need what your getting into and how he tone of the interview would be:

 

BOTTOM line: Jimmy would never ask about IVF, or Rene's cancer like Oprah, Barbra Walters, or Katie Couric would because those questions wouldn't allow him to be a comic after she responds without being a jackass. But instead would stick to more questions of which there's room for comedy like, "have you ever ate at the buffet before?" or " who didn't sign your board?"

 

People don't give Celine enough credit, she knew what she was getting into and did well and adjusted to the atmosphere.

Edited by Nmj
  • Like 3
Posted
You're missing my point. Go back and watch the interview. As we all know Celine has a great sense of humor. She did well with Rosie, she does well with Ellen, she does great with Leno and Letterman - they all have a good rapport. Of course I wasn't expecting a serious interview with Kimmel. But you don't interview a celebrity and then make fun of their family and their freaking album title. I mean come on! If she had found it all halarious, then that's one thing. But was she laughing at his jokes? No, she was busy defending herself because he was busy being a prick. See it how you will...
  • Like 2
Posted

You're missing my point. Go back and watch the interview. As we all know Celine has a great sense of humor. She did well with Rosie, she does well with Ellen, she does great with Leno and Letterman - they all have a good rapport. Of course I wasn't expecting a serious interview with Kimmel. But you don't interview a celebrity and then make fun of their family and their freaking album title. I mean come on! If she had found it all halarious, then that's one thing. But was she laughing at his jokes? No, she was busy defending herself because he was busy being a prick. See it how you will...

 

It's his job to do that! Chill

 

Kev x

  • Like 2
Posted (edited)

Btw.. i suddenly thought about two things after the jimmy kimmel interview:

 

1. Can somebody send a link to a photo of the signature canvas she was talking about. I remember seeing a photo of that in some website somewhere i just cant remember where.

 

2. And i was wondering if barbra had already seen the show, where's their picture backstage?

 

Was it this photo:http://www.celinedionbannedwebsite.com/gallery/image/1619-celine-dion-et-barbra-streisand/

 

And how about celine's backstage photo with prince. Does it exist?

Edited by marc-02
Posted

 

 

Celine was great at les plaines but the long term vocal damage that she is inflicting upon herself by committing to this second Vegas run was still evident. Pitch issues, which she also had then, are a sign that you are losing control over your instrument. it's a sign that your vocal muscles are tired. What I'm saying is that for Celine to be at her best as a vocalist, at this stage in her life, she'll have to radically rethink her concert schedule. She should be doing two shows a month, for example, instead of 70 a year. She's gotten into this weird pattern where she abuses her voice and then talks about how she doesn't care if she hits a bad note and she thinks it makes her seem down to earth -- and she obviously had a lot of issues with being OCD / perfectionist about her voice up until 2000 and she's still rebelling against that -- but what she forgets is that the people, and not just "the fans," want to hear her at her best. We want to hear her as she was meant to be heard; we want to hear her sharing her gift, not doing her job. And that's what singing has become to her; a job. She needs to recognize that singing is an art and that she isn't going to experience the type of success and recognition she wants without making a bigger commitment to caring for her voice. That is all. Point is: missing a high note is one thing, but pitch issues point to something deeper. Pitchiness is not a one-time mistake, it's a sign of vocal abuse, and it makes me worried that Celine won't be able to pull off this upcoming round of promo.

 

I think you're right. It does seem, at times, she's not quite 100% and I think with three kids she doesn't have the drive like she used to. By that I mean hear focus has changed. Not that's horrible.....too many people in show biz don't focus on the right things and end up in negative tabloids, etc. But I do think it's affecting her singing at times. She still rocks it out though.

~Liz
"Please don't make your career your life. Let it be your passion, let it bring you pleasure, but don't let it become your identity. You are so much more valuable than that." -Celine

Posted

Lovely performance and interview.. what I expected.. Love the fight story.. hahaha...

 

And love the performance, so natural and Live, playing with the voice when she can't reach the top note but what's the matter... to be LIVE is to be full of feelings and the effort she put singing the song impressed me so much... I don't mind if she looses the 90's powerfulvoice if she keeps growing in the feelings singing it. It's kind of funny that lately in the Tv promos for english albums she looks so scared in the first performances LIVe.. it happened the same with TC.. I remember the XFactor... She just have to relax.. LMBTL it is so good and she only have to enjoy it... Lets see Ellen and X-factor...

  • Like 1
Posted

where will she be in those Months, pls tell me , cause I really don't know where she will be other then in UK , nov/ dec.

Well she is releasing an album on Nov.5 so she will most likely be doing more TV shows around that time in the US. And I assume she will head to Europe before her shows in Paris to promote around Europe.

Posted

Btw.. i suddenly thought about two things after the jimmy kimmel interview:

 

1. Can somebody send a link to a photo of the signature canvas she was talking about. I remember seeing a photo of that in some website somewhere i just cant remember where.

 

 

I think there's a picture of the canvas in For Keeps

Posted
Ok guys I'm a professional musician/music major and everyone, no matter who, has performances that are better than others, no performance is ever "perfect" because it's a performance art and it will always be different no matter how many times you perform the same song. I've never met a musician that is not a perfectionist, we are constantly refining our art and to better ourselves. You can never have all the pieces at any one performance. So in my opinion I thought she did great, it's a lot of pressure to get up and perform in front of people! Celine wears her heart on her sleeve and that's probably why she looked disappointed, I can understand that. Imagine being in her shoes for a moment if you will... I have a feeling she puts a ton of pressure on her self. Just my opinion.
  • Like 6
Posted
I was thrilled Céline was on JK. Late night comediens interview differently than daytime hosts. Céline's answers were great and I loved her story about the free glasses and plates from the gas stations. I remember my parents only filling the tank at the stations that offered these freebies :-D . It's a shame Céline couldn't have sung LMBTL before the interview. It was apparent she wasn't content with her performance. Next appearance, girlfriend :)

post-789-0-85779200-1435722092_thumb.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/LKlafter1/1367035680_small.jpg

Posted

Hey guys, picked this up in a Google alert. It's acknowledges that Celine had a bit of trouble with the performance.

"Legendary diva
Celine Dion
struggled a bit during the debut televised performance of her new single, the
Sia
-penned power ballad "
", held at ABC's "
Jimmy Kimmel Live
" on Friday (September 6). She held herself pretty well during the verses, but the high notes were not good, at least not as good as one would expect by the Celine Dion standards. It's true "Loved Me Back To Life" is a difficult song to sing, though. Let's see if Cel-Di can totally slay for the next performance. Because doubting of her vocal ability by now is plain stupid.
Watch the performance below
!

Celine also sat down for a brief interview with Jimmy Kimmel. It was a fun chat where Celine discussed living in
Las Vega
s, her long-running show at Caesars Palace, breaking up a fight in the crowd once, and her new music. "Loved Me Back To Life" is also the name of the Canadian singer's upcoming studio album, due in stores November 5th."

Link: http://www.directlyrics.com/celine-dion-struggles-on-first-tv-performance-of-loved-me-back-to-life-on-jimmy-kimmel-news.html

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...