scielle Posted March 13, 2019 at 03:59 PM Posted March 13, 2019 at 03:59 PM https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/rambling-reporter/inside-clive-davis-aretha-screening-joni-mitchell-kareem-abdul-jabbar-1194061 Nothing new here. I'm just really happy Joni Mitchell got to see Celine do her thing. Always wished Celine would sing some Joni songs. I have faith it will one day happen. That would be Peak Canada. (Metta World Peace, a big Celine fan, was also there.) 2 Quote
scielle Posted March 13, 2019 at 07:11 PM Posted March 13, 2019 at 07:11 PM (edited) The CBC never loved her as much as they have in the last year or so! And once again, shame they don't have a proper video to link to. Javascript is not enabled OR refresh the page to viewClick here to view the TweetJavascript is not enabled OR refresh the page to viewClick here to view the Tweet Edited March 13, 2019 at 07:20 PM by scielle Quote
GameC Posted March 13, 2019 at 08:17 PM Posted March 13, 2019 at 08:17 PM ...But I could see she moved the audience. I think it was not only her way of singing the song but also those pictures on the screen behind her that reminded people of that time that black people had to fight for their rights...No, I do not think that the pictures shown in the back have a significant impact on the audience's reception of the performance. But, let's look at a few photos: In this case, you can be right. This woman has her years and can have many associations with this period of American history. This woman seems too young to have any memories of this period. However, after about one minute of Céline's performance, her eyes begin to glaze... Here is same as above. This man is white and looks like he expected a performance in the style of MHWGO, but he was very positively surprised, "so she can do it too"? Is this some kind of bliss seen on her face? Or maybe it is a pure joy? In any case, her eyes are closed. This one is interesting, was taken around 2:30 of Céline's performace, after her first (raw and raspy as hell) high tone. What we see here? Again, a bliss on the face of a young woman on the right and approval/admiration/respect expressed with applause and head movements of a woman in the middle. [The woman in the middle looks like she just experienced a contact with Aretha's spirit. The woman shown a little above just starts to cry. It's around 2:40 of this performace. About three minutes of performance passed and a woman in the middle looks as she would say: "Maybe you are "white", but girl, you can not be more "black" than you are at this moment, you are ours, I want to join you, I want to sing with you." This woman here looks very moved. Yes, very deeply moved. And to be honest, when I watched this performance for the first time it is very likely that at that moment I looked similar Near the end of the performance, this woman sang along with Céline and it looks like she drew a lot of joy from it. The same as above. The expression on this woman's face is something like: "O...M...G..." The end of the performance, just after her last (raw and raspy as hell) high note... === Of course, this is only my interpretation and I'm not an expert in reading body language 6 Quote
chawatak Posted March 13, 2019 at 11:43 PM Posted March 13, 2019 at 11:43 PM No, I do not think that the pictures shown in the back have a significant impact on the audience's reception of the performance. But, let's look at a few photos:...Of course, this is only my interpretation and I'm not an expert in reading body language This! YES! It's her PERFORMANCE that MOVED THEM!!! 2 Quote LISTEN TO NEW SONG"Flying On My Own" ON REPEAT!!!> https://vimeo.com/328324551
pat200 Posted March 14, 2019 at 12:31 AM Posted March 14, 2019 at 12:31 AM it is both her performance AND the pics in the back that moved them. when your people go through atrocities, you get emotional at the mere sight of anything related to it. Quote
Xpresso Posted March 14, 2019 at 01:49 AM Posted March 14, 2019 at 01:49 AM (edited) The CBC never loved her as much as they have in the last year or so! And once again, shame they don't have a proper video to link to. Javascript is not enabled OR refresh the page to viewClick here to view the TweetJavascript is not enabled OR refresh the page to viewClick here to view the Tweet If you click on the link in the first tweet, the video is towards the end of the article. Edited March 14, 2019 at 02:14 AM by Xpresso Quote
Nmj Posted March 14, 2019 at 02:14 AM Author Posted March 14, 2019 at 02:14 AM (edited) No, I do not think that the pictures shown in the back have a significant impact on the audience's reception of the performance. But, let's look at a few photos: In this case, you can be right. This woman has her years and can have many associations with this period of American history. This woman seems too young to have any memories of this period. However, after about one minute of Céline's performance, her eyes begin to glaze... Here is same as above. This man is white and looks like he expected a performance in the style of MHWGO, but he was very positively surprised, "so she can do it too"? Is this some kind of bliss seen on her face? Or maybe it is a pure joy? In any case, her eyes are closed. This one is interesting, was taken around 2:30 of Céline's performace, after her first (raw and raspy as hell) high tone. What we see here? Again, a bliss on the face of a young woman on the right and approval/admiration/respect expressed with applause and head movements of a woman in the middle. [The woman in the middle looks like she just experienced a contact with Aretha's spirit. The woman shown a little above just starts to cry. It's around 2:40 of this performace. About three minutes of performance passed and a woman in the middle looks as she would say: "Maybe you are "white", but girl, you can not be more "black" than you are at this moment, you are ours, I want to join you, I want to sing with you." This woman here looks very moved. Yes, very deeply moved. And to be honest, when I watched this performance for the first time it is very likely that at that moment I looked similar Near the end of the performance, this woman sang along with Céline and it looks like she drew a lot of joy from it. The same as above. The exp<b></b>ression on this woman's face is something like: "O...M...G..." The end of the performance, just after her last (raw and raspy as hell) high note... === Of course, this is only my interpretation and I'm not an expert in reading body language The lady with her eyes closed is because she couldn’t look at the hideous dress or hair any longer! Edited March 14, 2019 at 02:14 AM by Nmj Quote
scielle Posted March 14, 2019 at 02:24 AM Posted March 14, 2019 at 02:24 AM If you click on the link in the first tweet, the video is towards the end of the article. Huh?My point is there's no quality video available for them to link to due to copyright restrictions. Ya, you can get to the FB video from the link in the YT description ... from one random fan page, to another... no proper, quality version and place for it to live without danger of being taken down. Quote
québecflower Posted March 14, 2019 at 02:42 AM Posted March 14, 2019 at 02:42 AM https://www.facebook.com/celinedioninsider/videos/535267480330441/ on the facebook of the redheads 4 Quote Plus qu'ailleurs , but now Si c'était à refaire , i still love tant de temps....
mirage Posted March 14, 2019 at 09:08 AM Posted March 14, 2019 at 09:08 AM That's the only proper one without huge fan site names and all throughout the video. I just saw Jennifer Hudson her performance, damnnnn that girl can sing whoohh https://www.facebook.com/celinedioninsider/videos/535267480330441/ on the facebook of the redheads 1 Quote
Xpresso Posted March 14, 2019 at 03:01 PM Posted March 14, 2019 at 03:01 PM Huh?My point is there's no quality video available for them to link to due to copyright restrictions. Ya, you can get to the FB video from the link in the YT description ... from one random fan page, to another... no proper, quality version and place for it to live without danger of being taken down. I see, the video they link to starts fine but then the image freezes and the audio keeps going.Actually, Celine Dion France on FB has shared one of the FB posts with the full performance! Quote
Chantemoi Posted March 14, 2019 at 06:33 PM Posted March 14, 2019 at 06:33 PM Haven’t watched it yet, but the hairstyle is terrible... when her face is skinny as it is the hair up tightly back in a bun makes her look even more skinny and old, she should avoid that. At least it’s not a buzz cut like the early days of Vegas 😂 1 Quote
Nmj Posted March 14, 2019 at 06:54 PM Author Posted March 14, 2019 at 06:54 PM At least it’s not a buzz cut like the early days of Vegas 😂 When you look straight at her face and can’t see the bun in the back, and it’s so tightly done it’s almost as bad as that “buzz” cut! Quote
jolo87 Posted March 14, 2019 at 07:27 PM Posted March 14, 2019 at 07:27 PM it is both her performance AND the pics in the back that moved them. when your people go through atrocities, you get emotional at the mere sight of anything related to it. This is just ridiculous. Cataloguing black peoples' facial expressions to prove a white woman's ability to sing like a black woman then arguing over whether those sane black people were merely moved by some stock images of Selma and MLK. To be honest, this is embarrassing! We can discuss and appreciate the impact Celine had on any given crowd without resorting to this kind of racial analysis. Regardless of who was sitting in the audience, regardless of the color of their skin, it was a heartfelt, soulful, and accomplished performance, and the artistry of it moved people to respond with visible displays of emotion. This doesn't happen at most Celine shows because she doesn't usually give us this level of emotion, creativity, and commitment. But to argue over black audience members' motivations in this way is just ridiculous. 2 Quote
jolo87 Posted March 14, 2019 at 07:37 PM Posted March 14, 2019 at 07:37 PM I would say, if anything, that the images on the screen probably made the audience more predisposed to be skeptical of the performance ... and yeah, it was a strange and potentially damaging choice on Ehrlich's part to shine a spotlight on a white artist in this way. However ... music can transcend politics. People will always see color, and color will always be political, but if you go out there and give everything you have, the optics of a given situation become irrelevant ... It's not that she sang like a black woman, or that she crossed some racial boundary with her interpretation. She just gave it everything she had, and she was respectful of and committed to the song. She didn't say anything more than what we heard. That was, in short, the song. The performance. It was great, and people felt it -- white people, black people, and every other kind of person in the audience. 2 Quote
jolo87 Posted March 14, 2019 at 07:43 PM Posted March 14, 2019 at 07:43 PM Why does an old black lady have to stand up because she's black? Why does another black woman have to cry because she sees Martin Luther King on a screen, or hears a white woman graciously performing a "black" song in a way that isn't obviously, offensively white? People stand, people cry, all kinds of people do it, all the time, because *music makes us do it.* It's just music, nothing more and nothing less. Music makes people cry, it makes people rise in adulation, it triggers spontaneous displays of sympathy, empathy, emotion, and respect. And that, right there, was music with a capital M. Universal, human, transcendental music. Quote
Nmj Posted March 14, 2019 at 07:49 PM Author Posted March 14, 2019 at 07:49 PM I don’t get this who the hell cares, in 2019 it shouldn’t matter skin color. Celine wanted to sing the song so she did, Black, White or in between doesn’t matter. She was paying respect to Aretha Franklin and that’s that. I honestly don’t even get the reason why it’s even a remotely Controversial song to sing. 3 Quote
maki_Dion-er Posted March 14, 2019 at 07:57 PM Posted March 14, 2019 at 07:57 PM A white woman singing about the civil rights movement could have been highly criticized had it not been done from a position of utter respect and care (or perhaps it would have had it been on a more widely watched special/award show). For the person she was doing the tribute for (because she did it FOR Aretha, not trying to shine a spotlight on herself) but also about the topic she was singing about. She specifically chose this song, she knew she had to do it right. Just for comparison Madonna has been criticized for her past tributes to Prince and Aretha, and she didn't even sing anything politically charged. 5 Quote
maki_Dion-er Posted March 14, 2019 at 08:07 PM Posted March 14, 2019 at 08:07 PM I don’t get this who the hell cares, in 2019 it shouldn’t matter skin color. Celine wanted to sing the song so she did, Black, White or in between doesn’t matter. She was paying respect to Aretha Franklin and that’s that. I honestly don’t even get the reason why it’s even a remotely Controversial song to sing. I believe music has no boundaries but as a Hispanic woman in the US it would be like hearing a white American sing about immigration. They don't know the struggle or what it's like to be discriminated for your ethnicity. So it'd be weird and feel a little disrespectful (although if Celine decided to sing about immigration I wouldn't care cause I love her & she's an immigrant herself). It's about the topic the song touches upon not whether it comes from a black singer imo. Quote
Nmj Posted March 14, 2019 at 08:20 PM Author Posted March 14, 2019 at 08:20 PM I believe music has no boundaries but as a Hispanic woman in the US it would be like hearing a white American sing about immigration. They don't know the struggle or what it's like to be discriminated for your ethnicity. So it'd be weird and feel a little disrespectful (although if Celine decided to sing about immigration I wouldn't care cause I love her & she's an immigrant herself). It's about the topic the song touches upon not whether it comes from a black singer imo. I don’t care, still for me if a “white” woman wants to sing about immigration or slavery those groups should welcome it with open arms, sometimes you don’t actually have to experience something to know it’s wrong. Just because Celine wasn’t a slave doesn’t mean she’s dumb to the terrible history and what those people endured and she’s standing with them in support, being an advocate all while paying tribute to Aretha. I don’t remember people having a problem of her for naming her son after Nelson Mandela, to me it’s all the same. All this s*** doesn’t matter. It’s all tactic to devide people based on differences in which we should be embracing. 1 Quote
maki_Dion-er Posted March 14, 2019 at 08:37 PM Posted March 14, 2019 at 08:37 PM I don’t care, still for me if a “white” woman wants to sing about immigration or slavery those groups should welcome it with open arms, sometimes you don’t actually have to experience something to know it’s wrong. Just because Celine wasn’t a slave doesn’t mean she’s dumb to the terrible history and what those people endured and she’s standing with them in support, being an advocate all while paying tribute to Aretha. I don’t remember people having a problem of her for naming her son after Nelson Mandela, to me it’s all the same. All this s*** doesn’t matter. It’s all tactic to devide people based on differences in which we should be embracing. See the thing is in many of these situations the moment could be given to a minority to shine in that instance. Kind of like all these movies with whitewashing a character to give the part to a more well known actor instead of giving the role to an actual actor of that race/ethnicity. It's a different case for Celine here, imo, because she asked for the song, and as far as we know no one else asked for it or was offered the song. And I can only tell you how I, as a member of a minority (although I was born in the US from parents who are citizens), would feel. And I tend to take things more lightly than others when it comes to media representation but lots of other people don't. It's up to you whether or not you want to see to understand the POV of those that are in the actual position. Quote
pat200 Posted March 14, 2019 at 09:12 PM Posted March 14, 2019 at 09:12 PM This is just ridiculous. Cataloguing black peoples' facial expressions to prove a white woman's ability to sing like a black woman then arguing over whether those sane black people were merely moved by some stock images of Selma and MLK. To be honest, this is embarrassing! We can discuss and appreciate the impact Celine had on any given crowd without resorting to this kind of racial analysis. Regardless of who was sitting in the audience, regardless of the color of their skin, it was a heartfelt, soulful, and accomplished performance, and the artistry of it moved people to respond with visible displays of emotion. This doesn't happen at most Celine shows because she doesn't usually give us this level of emotion, creativity, and commitment. But to argue over black audience members' motivations in this way is just ridiculous. not sure what you are not understanding. as someone who grew up in WAR, images of war will get me emotional regardless of who the hel* is singing on stage. so YES, the images do add to the emotions of the performance, especially for the people who suffered during that era. 2 Quote
DionFanAlways Posted March 14, 2019 at 09:17 PM Posted March 14, 2019 at 09:17 PM I don’t get this who the hell cares, in 2019 it shouldn’t matter skin color.Celine wanted to sing the song so she did, Black, White or in between doesn’t matter. She was paying respect to Aretha Franklin and that’s that. I honestly don’t even get the reason why it’s even a remotely Controversial song to sing.Yes it shouldn't but in this country right now that's all it's about. Quote I have had the time of my life following this woman! Much love.
Peppercorn1991 Posted March 14, 2019 at 09:34 PM Posted March 14, 2019 at 09:34 PM I’d be interested about the proportion of white and black people on this forum. I love both races so it’s not a racist comment but it would be interesting how cultural this forum is Kev x 2 Quote
ordinary fan Posted March 14, 2019 at 09:57 PM Posted March 14, 2019 at 09:57 PM I'd be interested about the proportion of white and black people on this forum. I love both races so it's not a racist comment but it would be interesting how cultural this forum is Kev xme too Quote
gafsa Posted March 14, 2019 at 11:28 PM Posted March 14, 2019 at 11:28 PM Well, I'm Asian, and honestly I didn't pay attention that mach to the images, I'm focus on Celine and her performance, and I can't hear perfectly some of the words she sang, but it moved me, it had me in tears and emotional, and I'm not easily cry over a singing performance.But, that's me, it could be different for everyone, the opinion about the images could be right or wrong. Nothing is for sure. 1 Quote
browseceline Posted March 15, 2019 at 12:31 AM Posted March 15, 2019 at 12:31 AM (edited) not sure what you are not understanding. as someone who grew up in WAR, images of war will get me emotional regardless of who the hel* is singing on stage. so YES, the images do add to the emotions of the performance, especially for the people who suffered during that era. yes! so of course it is the combination of both her singing and the images that moved them. Btw there is another factor: i listened to Aretha’s version and i heard that Celine stayed very true to Her version. And it was after all a tribute to Aretha. And even in Aretha’s version i could not hear all the words she sang, just like in Celine’s version. Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk Edited March 15, 2019 at 12:34 AM by browseceline 1 Quote <iframe width="640" height="390" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hl2XkxnYljg" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
GameC Posted March 15, 2019 at 01:18 AM Posted March 15, 2019 at 01:18 AM This is just ridiculous. Cataloguing black peoples' facial expressions to prove a white woman's ability to sing like a black woman then arguing over whether those sane black people were merely moved by some stock images of Selma and MLK. To be honest, this is embarrassing! We can discuss and appreciate the impact Celine had on any given crowd without resorting to this kind of racial analysis. But to argue over black audience members' motivations in this way is just ridiculous.I think that everything here depends on the intentions / reasons for which someone spoke/write in this matter here. In my case, the intent was pure, I was looking for an answer to the question that bother me, without any political or racial subtext. However, in this case, my curiosity concerned such kind of music, which can not be separated from the skin color of its creators. Where does this curiosity come from? It's a bit like searching for the answer to the question whether the correct statement is: "White Man Can't Jump". Only it is harder, after all anyone can easily assess whether "the white man" jumped high enough to recognize him as good or not. But in the case of music, things get complicated. Personally, I'm a huge fan of "black music" (Jazz, Soul etc.). I think that I listened to such kind of music for so many years to be able to judge if Céline's performance was good or not (and I say it was good, very good), but I still remain "white", and this is not the kind of music I grew up with, that's why I'm aware of that I can be wrong about it, do not notice many important nuances, etc. That's why I took a closer look at the reactions of various people present there, especially those who, due to their skin color, are more competent for a correct assessment, only they are able to tell if "their music" is performed at "fake", "meh", "ok" or "blast" level. It should also be noted here that the pictures that I put here come from the official broadcast and these are basically all the shots of the audience (I skipped probably one). So that is, the director decided that this will be important for TV broadcast. He is also responsible for the fact that the majority of shots shows the reactions of black people in the foreground. Of course, I am aware that music is a universal language, but something can always affect its reception. In this case, someone pointed to the pictures shown in the back, having a political undertone corresponding to the content of the song. So the question about how much it influenced the audience's reactions (I still think that it was only slightly, if at all) and the analysis of audience reactions are neither "ridiculous" nor "embarrassing". It is perfectly right, if of course the intentions are right and I believe that my intentions (and other people who write here in this matter) are right. I would say, if anything, that the images on the screen probably made the audience more predisposed to be skeptical of the performance ... and yeah, it was a strange and potentially damaging choice on Ehrlich's part to shine a spotlight on a white artist in this way.I think the same. It was a bold move, not a simple task and I am very happy that Céline managed it. 2 Quote
Katie Posted March 15, 2019 at 02:33 AM Posted March 15, 2019 at 02:33 AM Over the years, Céline's appeared 4 times on the Grammy tributes and each time she was mesmerizing https://vimeo.com/239000051 https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=535267480330441 5 Quote
scielle Posted March 15, 2019 at 06:16 PM Posted March 15, 2019 at 06:16 PM https://www.oprahmag.com/entertainment/tv-movies/a26836100/celine-dion-jennifer-hudson-aretha-franklin-tribute/ 4 Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.