Jump to content

Celine...the 5th Top Selling Artist Of SoundScan Era


Recommended Posts

Posted
her sales are VERY close to Mariah's. interesting. i'm positive she can match (if not surpass) her sales. and it's quite surprising how The Beatles sells their albums despite of looooooooooong absence in the industry.
Posted
Finally, Madonna is not "in" it
Posted
Way to go Celine!!! :whee: After 2010 with her new documentary movie, tour dvd release, and her upcoming album we will make her #1!!! :P :clap: Thanks for sharing..... Congrats Celine! :kicking:

J'adore Celine! :wub:

 

It is impossible. She has to sell 18 million copies to overtake Garth Brooks. Hardly anyone can sell over 2 million albums in the USA nowadays. Remember how TC struggled to reach 1 million.

 

She will be at #5 for a long time since there is a 10 million gap between #5 and #6. But FIY will soon fall to #11 or #12 because it has barely sold 4,000 copies last year while "Legend" by Bob Marley & The Wailers and "Come Away With Me" by Norah Jones are good catalog sellers and both crossed the 10 million mark some time ago.

 

I think in a matter of months, FIY is gonna drop to #11 and then in about a year to #12 cos the ML collection killed the sales of this album

 

 

 

I think in a few years she could be ahead Mariah :rolleyes:

 

Oh yes cos she's gonna sell truckloads of her next release :rolleyes:

 

Sorry, it ain't happening anytime soon.

 

 

i always thought LTAL had sold more than FIY :hmm:

 

No, Falling into You has been certified 11x Platinum by the RIAA (but should be 12x Platinum) and Let's Talk About Love has been certified 10x Platinum (but should be 11x Platinum). Also, FIY has sold more, annually than LTAL.

 

Umm.. why should it when it has sold only 10,781,000 which makes it eligible for 11x platinum and LTAL has sold only around 9,320,000 copies as per soundscan? :ermm:

 

You are mixing up sales with shipments. I'm not talking about Soundscan figures, I'm talking about the RIAA shipments that both albums should be certified for. That's why I mentioned her certified awards. Also, Celine is one of the most undercertified artists in the United States. She should be at around 56 million shipped albums, at the least!

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/patjsully
Posted
Top-Ten-Selling Artists Of SoundScan Era (based on album sales from 1991 to January 3, 2010) ***only U.S. sales

 

01. GARTH BROOKS (68,363,000)

02. THE BEATLES (60,370,000)

03. MARIAH CAREY (52,388,000)

04. METALLICA (52,160,000)

05. CELINE DION (50,933,000)

06. GEORGE STRAIT (41,843,000)

07. TIM MCGRAW (38,677,000)

08. ALAN JACKSON (37,447,000)

09. PINK FLOYD (35,867,000)

10. EMINEM (35,326,000)

 

Top-Ten-Selling Albums Of SoundScan Era (1991 - January 3, 2010):

 

01. "Metallica" - METALLICA (15,500,000)

02. "Come On Over" - SHANIA TWAIN (15,487,000)

03. "Jagged Little Pill" - ALANIS MORISSETTE (14,642,000)

04. "Millennium" - BACKSTREET BOYS (12,109,000)

05. "Bodyguard" soundtrack - Various Artists (11,815,000)

06. "Supernatural" - SANTANA (11,687,000)

07. "Beatles 1" - THE BEATLES (11,564,000)

08. "Human Clay" - CREED (11,547,000)

09. "No Strings Attached" - 'N SYNC (11,113,000)

10. "Falling Into You" - CELINE DION (10,781,000)

 

***there's an article to go along with the numbers but its written about metallica so if you want to read it:

http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheyd...949.html#cutid1

 

***i thought it was ironic that she's number 5:)

 

 

this is only of soundscan era.

 

We have to be reminded of ourselves that the best-selling female artist in the US is hmmmm... I think Barbra Streisand still holds it with Mariah and Madonna behind. I think Celine places 5th

Posted
Way to go Celine!!! :whee: After 2010 with her new documentary movie, tour dvd release, and her upcoming album we will make her #1!!! :P :clap: Thanks for sharing..... Congrats Celine! :kicking:

J'adore Celine! :wub:

 

It is impossible. She has to sell 18 million copies to overtake Garth Brooks. Hardly anyone can sell over 2 million albums in the USA nowadays. Remember how TC struggled to reach 1 million.

 

She will be at #5 for a long time since there is a 10 million gap between #5 and #6. But FIY will soon fall to #11 or #12 because it has barely sold 4,000 copies last year while "Legend" by Bob Marley & The Wailers and "Come Away With Me" by Norah Jones are good catalog sellers and both crossed the 10 million mark some time ago.

 

I think in a matter of months, FIY is gonna drop to #11 and then in about a year to #12 cos the ML collection killed the sales of this album

 

 

 

I think in a few years she could be ahead Mariah :rolleyes:

 

Oh yes cos she's gonna sell truckloads of her next release :rolleyes:

 

Sorry, it ain't happening anytime soon.

 

 

i always thought LTAL had sold more than FIY :hmm:

 

No, Falling into You has been certified 11x Platinum by the RIAA (but should be 12x Platinum) and Let's Talk About Love has been certified 10x Platinum (but should be 11x Platinum). Also, FIY has sold more, annually than LTAL.

 

Umm.. why should it when it has sold only 10,781,000 which makes it eligible for 11x platinum and LTAL has sold only around 9,320,000 copies as per soundscan? :ermm:

 

You are mixing up sales with shipments. I'm not talking about Soundscan figures, I'm talking about the RIAA shipments that both albums should be certified for. That's why I mentioned her certified awards. Also, Celine is one of the most undercertified artists in the United States. She should be at around 56 million shipped albums, at the least!

 

At first I thought you were speaking of sales as this thread is about her SS figures but then I understood what you meant, Patrick :yes: hence, my later post after Bellamy's.

 

You are right about Celine being undercertified but that would mean nothing with SS. Actual sales of both FIY and LTAL are more than what the SS figures shows cos of the club sales.

Posted
Way to go Celine!!! :whee: After 2010 with her new documentary movie, tour dvd release, and her upcoming album we will make her #1!!! :P :clap: Thanks for sharing..... Congrats Celine! :kicking:

J'adore Celine! :wub:

 

It is impossible. She has to sell 18 million copies to overtake Garth Brooks. Hardly anyone can sell over 2 million albums in the USA nowadays. Remember how TC struggled to reach 1 million.

 

She will be at #5 for a long time since there is a 10 million gap between #5 and #6. But FIY will soon fall to #11 or #12 because it has barely sold 4,000 copies last year while "Legend" by Bob Marley & The Wailers and "Come Away With Me" by Norah Jones are good catalog sellers and both crossed the 10 million mark some time ago.

 

I think in a matter of months, FIY is gonna drop to #11 and then in about a year to #12 cos the ML collection killed the sales of this album

 

 

 

I think in a few years she could be ahead Mariah :rolleyes:

 

Oh yes cos she's gonna sell truckloads of her next release :rolleyes:

 

Sorry, it ain't happening anytime soon.

 

 

i always thought LTAL had sold more than FIY :hmm:

 

No, Falling into You has been certified 11x Platinum by the RIAA (but should be 12x Platinum) and Let's Talk About Love has been certified 10x Platinum (but should be 11x Platinum). Also, FIY has sold more, annually than LTAL.

 

Umm.. why should it when it has sold only 10,781,000 which makes it eligible for 11x platinum and LTAL has sold only around 9,320,000 copies as per soundscan? :ermm:

 

You are mixing up sales with shipments. I'm not talking about Soundscan figures, I'm talking about the RIAA shipments that both albums should be certified for. That's why I mentioned her certified awards. Also, Celine is one of the most undercertified artists in the United States. She should be at around 56 million shipped albums, at the least!

 

At first I thought you were speaking of sales as this thread is about her SS figures but then I understood what you meant, Patrick :yes: hence, my later post after Bellamy's.

 

You are right about Celine being undercertified but that would mean nothing with SS. Actual sales of both FIY and LTAL are more than what the SS figures shows cos of the club sales.

 

Haha, true! B)

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/patjsully
Posted

Oh I do love sales discussions! As somebody might have already pointed out, Soundscan track over the counter retail sales only - they exclude sales from anywhere that isn't deemed a retailer. During the 90's, around 20-25% of an album's total sales could have been made up by record club sales, so although Soundscan sales are an extremely useful gauge of sales, they are not comprehensive by any means. Celine Dion sold around 4-5m albums through Sony BMG Music Club. She sold additional millions through other music clubs. As somebody has already mentioned, she is one of the most undercertified artists in the USA - in fact, I'd call her THE most under certified solo artist in the USA. I did some chart analysis work on her career some time ago, for which the results can be seen at my own site. Anyway, I deemed her USA album shipments to be a MIGHTY 60.5m+ (prior to My Love) - now they would be around 61m.

 

Any chart expert - myself included - worth their salt will tell you that its not real sales that should be being measured, but shipments.

 

As far as the USA, here are my estimations:

 

#1 - Barbra Streisand - 83m+

#2 - Madonna - 69m

#3 - Mariah Carey - 67m

#4 - Celine Dion - 61m

#5 - Whitney Houston - 58m

 

North America (US + Canada):

 

#1 - Barbra Streisand - 88m+

#2 - Madonna - 77m+

#3 - Celine Dion - 76m+

#4 - Mariah Carey 72m

#5 - Whitney Houston - 63m

 

Point is, Soundscan isn't comprehensive.

Céline Dion, music's greatest ever singer, the biggest-selling Canadian artist of all-time and most successful female live act ever - what's not to love?

Posted
this is only of soundscan era.

 

We have to be reminded of ourselves that the best-selling female artist in the US is hmmmm... I think Barbra Streisand still holds it with Mariah and Madonna behind. I think Celine places 5th

 

Top selling artists according to RIAA (Link)

 

Artist, Certified Units in Millions

STREISAND, BARBRA 71.5

MADONNA 64

CAREY, MARIAH 63

HOUSTON, WHITNEY 55

DION, CELINE 50

TWAIN, SHANIA 48

MC ENTIRE, REBA 40.5

Posted
An album can only be certified by the RIAA if the label pays for it.

Céline Dion, music's greatest ever singer, the biggest-selling Canadian artist of all-time and most successful female live act ever - what's not to love?

Posted
An album can only be certified by the RIAA if the label pays for it.

 

Exactly, and that's why I am so irked at Sony! :angry2: Her RIAA certification are so outdated, it's laughable.

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/patjsully
Posted
Oh I do love sales discussions! As somebody might have already pointed out, Soundscan track over the counter retail sales only - they exclude sales from anywhere that isn't deemed a retailer. During the 90's, around 20-25% of an album's total sales could have been made up by record club sales, so although Soundscan sales are an extremely useful gauge of sales, they are not comprehensive by any means. Celine Dion sold around 4-5m albums through Sony BMG Music Club. She sold additional millions through other music clubs. As somebody has already mentioned, she is one of the most undercertified artists in the USA - in fact, I'd call her THE most under certified solo artist in the USA. I did some chart analysis work on her career some time ago, for which the results can be seen at my own site. Anyway, I deemed her USA album shipments to be a MIGHTY 60.5m+ (prior to My Love) - now they would be around 61m.

 

Any chart expert - myself included - worth their salt will tell you that its not real sales that should be being measured, but shipments.

 

As far as the USA, here are my estimations:

 

#1 - Barbra Streisand - 83m+

#2 - Madonna - 69m

#3 - Mariah Carey - 67m

#4 - Celine Dion - 61m

#5 - Whitney Houston - 58m

 

North America (US + Canada):

 

#1 - Barbra Streisand - 88m+

#2 - Madonna - 77m+

#3 - Celine Dion - 76m+

#4 - Mariah Carey 72m

#5 - Whitney Houston - 63m

 

Point is, Soundscan isn't comprehensive.

 

 

Is that you, Wayne? :bye1:

Posted
Hahaha yes DJ, its meee!

Céline Dion, music's greatest ever singer, the biggest-selling Canadian artist of all-time and most successful female live act ever - what's not to love?

Posted
Hahaha yes DJ, its meee!

 

 

Nice to have you here :D

 

I knew you would just lurve the chart topics :-D

 

Try the Off-Topic section as well :wink:

Posted

Lol. I might have a hunt around - got much more time on my hands now.

 

Although the chart topics will remain my favourite! ;) <3

Céline Dion, music's greatest ever singer, the biggest-selling Canadian artist of all-time and most successful female live act ever - what's not to love?

  • 2 years later...
Posted

New US Soundscan figures are here...

 

NEW US Soundscan figures...

 

12 EPIC DION*CELINE FALLING INTO YOU 10,807,618

23 COL DION*CELINE LET'S TALK ABOUT LOVE 9,599,027

45 COL DION*CELINE ALL THE WAY-A DECADE OF SONG 7,998,337

141 COL DION*CELINE THESE ARE SPECIAL TIMES 5,273,983

 

Only female artist with more than one album in the top 50 - Mariah hasn't a single album in the top 50, but has five albums in the top 200 [compared to Celine's 4]. QUEENS!

  • Like 1

Céline Dion, music's greatest ever singer, the biggest-selling Canadian artist of all-time and most successful female live act ever - what's not to love?

Posted
SO, the last two years 100000 more copies of FIY were sold...
Posted

SO, the last two years 100000 more copies of FIY were sold...

 

Falling Into You has sold about 16,000 copies in three years.

 

If I remember correctly, it was at 10.790m in 2010.

Céline Dion, music's greatest ever singer, the biggest-selling Canadian artist of all-time and most successful female live act ever - what's not to love?

Posted

How did Creed get to this place? :S

 

And, I know Garth Brooks by name but I don't know any of his songs. he isn't known in Israel or europe much (as a whole, we don't really listen in Israel to country music)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v68/CallingYou/shadowoflovesig-1.jpg
Posted

And, I know Garth Brooks by name but I don't know any of his songs. he isn't known in Israel or europe much (as a whole, we don't really listen in Israel to country music)

He was huge for a short time.(if you would compare him to Whitney, Madonna or Celine) Anything he did was gold. Then he just kind of disappeared.......

I have had the time of my life following this woman! Much love.
Posted
Garth Brooks is the second best-selling male artist in US chart history - he sold about 120m albums in the US alone; only The Beatles and Elvis have outsold him there. He was also massive in Ireland and a few parts of the world with certain records.

Céline Dion, music's greatest ever singer, the biggest-selling Canadian artist of all-time and most successful female live act ever - what's not to love?

Posted
I remember when Garth Brooks' "Sevens" was on top of the Billboard 200 and I was apprehensive that it might block "Let's Talk About Love". Thank God it relinquished the crown and gave it to Celine for 1 week. :D

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...