Edwin Posted October 24, 2008 at 02:13 PM Posted October 24, 2008 at 02:13 PM I am shocked that so many of you have reacted negatively. In the US you CANNOT require someone to pay to enter a contest like this. Limiting a US based promotion to the US, 18 years of age or older is also standard. Changes to these standard rules would alter the way the promotion would be run in a way that it may discourage the organizer from even running the promotion at all! The link to the official rules is right there once you click on My Love contest. I only have myself to blame since I made assumptions (completely forgetting the FTC rules) and not bothering to read ALL of the information. Many thank yous to Ashley for being so thorough. I wouldn't have entered it otherwise. Quote
Bellamy Posted October 24, 2008 at 02:18 PM Posted October 24, 2008 at 02:18 PM I am shocked that so many of you have reacted negatively. In the US you CANNOT require someone to pay to enter a contest like this. Limiting a US based promotion to the US, 18 years of age or older is also standard. Changes to these standard rules would alter the way the promotion would be run in a way that it may discourage the organizer from even running the promotion at all! The link to the official rules is right there once you click on My Love contest. I only have myself to blame since I made assumptions (completely forgetting the FTC rules) and not bothering to read ALL of the information. Many thank yous to Ashley for being so thorough. I wouldn't have entered it otherwise.They could have said it clearly in the email and order page, instead of hide all that in a rules page no one would really read. Why would they send me spam emails about the contest everyday while I'm not even qualified to enter it? Why in their email they say pre-order to enter the contest instead of saying NO purchase is necessary! It's so low they do that to trick fans order the over-priced CDs from them, not to mention about the rip off shipping cost. Quote Please support the forum by ordering everything through our special Amazon.com link Click here. Thank you!
Edwin Posted October 24, 2008 at 02:25 PM Posted October 24, 2008 at 02:25 PM The official rules weren't hidden at all. It was very easy to find them. And including ALL the information, instead of just a blurb still would not have guaranteed that everyone would have read the information in it's entirety. Sending you mail when you aren't eligible, just shows that they don't have really good database marketing. But that wouldn't have been perfect either. People who are currently abroad may have a shipping address overseas, but they are still US citizens eligible for the promotion. And it was never stated that you were required to pre-order in order to be entered into the contest. It always stated that you would be entered if you pre-order which is true. Quote
vroni Posted October 24, 2008 at 02:31 PM Posted October 24, 2008 at 02:31 PM (edited) I bet you're a spy, working secretly for TeamCéline just joking, but anyway, I always get pi**ed off when it's only for US residents, clearly not my fault that I am not (wouldn't want to either) but it could have been made more clearly... Edited October 24, 2008 at 02:32 PM by vroni Quote My Taking Chances Tour 22 June München 08 July Genève 10 February Quebec City 12, 14, 15 February Montréal 15, 16 March 2011 LAS VEGAS
kathy4 Posted October 24, 2008 at 02:42 PM Posted October 24, 2008 at 02:42 PM i get emails from them about the contest also. Quote http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp339/Mia_84/Tumlum/Perfume/celine-dion-chic.jpg
LuisMa Posted October 24, 2008 at 02:45 PM Posted October 24, 2008 at 02:45 PM The problem here is that most of us (myself included) always rush when something interesting or appealing is presented without carefully analyzing the situation. There's always small print in everything you sign up for. Unfortunately, we never take the time to read it. Quote
Bellamy Posted October 24, 2008 at 02:49 PM Posted October 24, 2008 at 02:49 PM The official rules weren't hidden at all. It was very easy to find them. And including ALL the information, instead of just a blurb still would not have guaranteed that everyone would have read the information in it's entirety. Sending you mail when you aren't eligible, just shows that they don't have really good database marketing. But that wouldn't have been perfect either. People who are currently abroad may have a shipping address overseas, but they are still US citizens eligible for the promotion. And it was never stated that you were required to pre-order in order to be entered into the contest. It always stated that you would be entered if you pre-order which is true.If the official rules are so easy to find, why no one noticed them before? Had you noticed them?Everyone who pre-orders a CD or CD bundle is automatically* entered into our contest to win an incredible grand prize: 2 tickets for a 'Taking Chances World Tour' Concert and every fan's dream-come-true: a MEET AND GREET with CELINE!!** Plus we are also giving away amazing secondary prizes!Why they don't say every U.S. residents, 18 years of age or older is eligible instead? Why they don't just promote the contest and say NO purchase is necessary! I remember there were contests like this before, but not promoted in this way. For example, the celinedionbeauty.com contest, we know it's eligible to U.S. residents, 18 years of age or older only since the first day. We also no purchase is necessary. Why we were never confused about the other contests? The problem here is that most of us (myself included) always rush when something interesting or appealing is presented without carefully analyzing the situation. There's always small print in everything you sign up for. Unfortunately, we never take the time to read it. That's called misleading promotion, which is disgusting. And those small text are not even in the same page. Quote Please support the forum by ordering everything through our special Amazon.com link Click here. Thank you!
celinefan5 Posted October 24, 2008 at 02:55 PM Posted October 24, 2008 at 02:55 PM Hello everyone, I was just talking to someone from "Teamceline". She told me that EVERYONE who preordered the cd WILL be entered into the contest...only people from the US can take advantage of getting the cd earlier..... Just passing on what I was told...has anyone else called? May be a good idea to see if they say the same... Quote
Bellamy Posted October 24, 2008 at 02:57 PM Posted October 24, 2008 at 02:57 PM Hello everyone, I was just talking to someone from "Teamceline". She told me that EVERYONE who preordered the cd WILL be entered into the contest...only people from the US can take advantage of getting the cd earlier..... Just passing on what I was told...has anyone else called? May be a good idea to see if they say the same...Did you mentioned about the official rules of the contest? Quote Please support the forum by ordering everything through our special Amazon.com link Click here. Thank you!
celinefan5 Posted October 24, 2008 at 03:15 PM Posted October 24, 2008 at 03:15 PM I didn't the first time, but I called them back and they checked on it...they said the the contest is open to everyone it's just the US shopping...anyone from outside the US will just cd later...Then I asked about the official rules of the contest and she said she didn't know why is was written there...but she did check and say that the contest is open to everyone. So there may be some hope after all? Quote
LuisMa Posted October 24, 2008 at 03:21 PM Posted October 24, 2008 at 03:21 PM I didn't the first time, but I called them back and they checked on it...they said the the contest is open to everyone it's just the US shopping...anyone from outside the US will just cd later...Then I asked about the official rules of the contest and she said she didn't know why is was written there...but she did check and say that the contest is open to everyone. So there may be some hope after all? Isn't it weird that she's saying that the contest is open to everyone and the rules on the page state a different scenario? Quote
Bellamy Posted October 24, 2008 at 03:21 PM Posted October 24, 2008 at 03:21 PM So she meant the official rule about the contest is something they copy and paste to every contest, and even they have no idea about how the contest runs. That is so laughable. Quote Please support the forum by ordering everything through our special Amazon.com link Click here. Thank you!
CSCfan Posted October 24, 2008 at 03:25 PM Posted October 24, 2008 at 03:25 PM Well they could indeed have copy & pasted it, 'coz I know that most fanclubs run by MusicToday (maybe even all of them) have contests that are for US residents only. Quote »»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» MATHIAS ««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzPrxI0AIDY
celinefan5 Posted October 24, 2008 at 03:29 PM Posted October 24, 2008 at 03:29 PM So she meant the official rule about the contest is something they copy and paste to every contest, and even they have no idea about how the contest runs. That is so laughable. I hope they are right and we at least have a chance of winning something...but it would be very interesting if the only people that win are from the US... Quote
Bellamy Posted October 24, 2008 at 03:30 PM Posted October 24, 2008 at 03:30 PM Funny how they contradict themselves. Promote pre-order by a "NO PURCHASE IS NECESSARY" contest. Quote Please support the forum by ordering everything through our special Amazon.com link Click here. Thank you!
Bellamy Posted October 24, 2008 at 03:34 PM Posted October 24, 2008 at 03:34 PM but it would be very interesting if the only people that win are from the US...Then we would know who should be blamed. Quote Please support the forum by ordering everything through our special Amazon.com link Click here. Thank you!
celinefan5 Posted October 24, 2008 at 03:34 PM Posted October 24, 2008 at 03:34 PM I guess they don't really know what they are doing! I wonder what Celine would say???? Quote
takeachance Posted October 24, 2008 at 03:35 PM Posted October 24, 2008 at 03:35 PM This is awful, sorry to ye guys. But how were ye to know. Really annoying contest like this only open to US residents. Pricks... Quote http://i66.tinypic.com/2dk08jn.gifRIP Rene Angelil xx Sending Love and Prayers to Celine
idroveallnight Posted October 24, 2008 at 03:43 PM Posted October 24, 2008 at 03:43 PM I guess they don't really know what they are doing! I wonder what Celine would say????I guess they really do know what they're doing and they're just trying to take advantage of fans. They probably knew the contest was free but simply masked it with pre-ordering a copy of My Love so they could make a quick buck. Sounds pretty illegal if you ask me. This is just a lame attempt for them to make money, not even to boost album sales. Shame on you Team Celine. Quote
LuisMa Posted October 24, 2008 at 03:45 PM Posted October 24, 2008 at 03:45 PM I guess they don't really know what they are doing! I wonder what Celine would say????I guess they really do know what they're doing and they're just trying to take advantage of fans. They probably knew the contest was free but simply masked it with pre-ordering a copy of My Love so they could make a quick buck. Sounds pretty illegal if you ask me. This is just a lame attempt for them to make money, not even to boost album sales. Shame on you Team Celine. Exactly, and that's what I was telling Bellamy on another thread. They will not tell you to go read the rules so easily because they'll lose money. And the no purchase necessary is indeed hilarious. Quote
Edwin Posted October 24, 2008 at 03:52 PM Posted October 24, 2008 at 03:52 PM (edited) If the official rules are so easy to find, why no one noticed them before? Had you noticed them? Why they don't say every U.S. residents, 18 years of age or older is eligible instead? Why they don't just promote the contest and say NO purchase is necessary! I remember there were contests like this before, but not promoted in this way. For example, the celinedionbeauty.com contest, we know it's eligible to U.S. residents, 18 years of age or older only since the first day. We also no purchase is necessary. Why we were never confused about the other contests? I can't speak for anyone else, but I did notice the rules, I just didn't bother to read them. They do say all that, just not in a place where you wanted it to be. Obviously they want people to buy it, so they aren't going to promote the fact that there is no purchase required. As far as comparing this to other contests, has there ever been any contest where there was a purchase required? I didn't the first time, but I called them back and they checked on it...they said the the contest is open to everyone it's just the US shopping...anyone from outside the US will just cd later...Then I asked about the official rules of the contest and she said she didn't know why is was written there...but she did check and say that the contest is open to everyone. So there may be some hope after all?I would believe the written out official rules over a CSR's interpretation of the rules. The former is more concrete and legally binding. Edited October 24, 2008 at 03:53 PM by EdwinDeux Quote
Javito Posted October 24, 2008 at 04:10 PM Posted October 24, 2008 at 04:10 PM The official rules weren't hidden at all. It was very easy to find them. And including ALL the information, instead of just a blurb still would not have guaranteed that everyone would have read the information in it's entirety. Sending you mail when you aren't eligible, just shows that they don't have really good database marketing. But that wouldn't have been perfect either. People who are currently abroad may have a shipping address overseas, but they are still US citizens eligible for the promotion. And it was never stated that you were required to pre-order in order to be entered into the contest. It always stated that you would be entered if you pre-order which is true.If the official rules are so easy to find, why no one noticed them before? Had you noticed them?Everyone who pre-orders a CD or CD bundle is automatically* entered into our contest to win an incredible grand prize: 2 tickets for a 'Taking Chances World Tour' Concert and every fan's dream-come-true: a MEET AND GREET with CELINE!!** Plus we are also giving away amazing secondary prizes!Why they don't say every U.S. residents, 18 years of age or older is eligible instead? Why they don't just promote the contest and say NO purchase is necessary! I remember there were contests like this before, but not promoted in this way. For example, the celinedionbeauty.com contest, we know it's eligible to U.S. residents, 18 years of age or older only since the first day. We also no purchase is necessary. Why we were never confused about the other contests? The problem here is that most of us (myself included) always rush when something interesting or appealing is presented without carefully analyzing the situation. There's always small print in everything you sign up for. Unfortunately, we never take the time to read it. That's called misleading promotion, which is disgusting. And those small text are not even in the same page. Bellamy is right TeamCeline shouldn't email everyone if the promotion was restricted to US fans. They have a very pretty database with all the necessary info to do that properly Quote "Hush, now... I see a light in the sky"
Timster Posted October 24, 2008 at 04:14 PM Posted October 24, 2008 at 04:14 PM Glad I'm not a TeamCeline member - that whole site is a load of *censored*!!! Quote
anewdayhascome Posted October 24, 2008 at 04:18 PM Posted October 24, 2008 at 04:18 PM it's a scandal!O ordered My Love from cd.com only because of the contest and cost me quite much as I had to pay more for shipping to Poland... and now it is changed only for Americans.... again stupid celinedion.com Quote A New Day... 10th & 11th November 2006 Taking Chances World Tour, Antwerp 13th & 14th May 2008, Kraków 28th June 2008 Celine 25th & 27th & 31st August 2013 20th, 23rd, 24th, 27th & 28th September 2016 Sans attendre Tour, Paris 1st & 5th December 2013 Encore un soir, Paris 24th, 25th, 28th, 29th June & 2nd, 3rd, 6th, 7th, 9th July 2016 Live 2017 Stockholm 17th June 2017 Lille 1st & 2nd July 2017 Paris 8th & 9th July 2017 Berlin 23rd & 24th July 2017 Live 2018 Taipei 11th & 13th July 2018 Manila 19th July 2018 Bangkok 23rd July 2018 BST Hyde Park London 5 July 2019 Paris 12th September 2nd and 3rd October 2026
bruno_oliveira Posted October 24, 2008 at 04:25 PM Posted October 24, 2008 at 04:25 PM I BOUGHT THE CD THERE TOO....http://h2.vibeflog.com/2008/03/22/23/23521043.jpg Quote
celbabs Posted October 24, 2008 at 05:07 PM Posted October 24, 2008 at 05:07 PM Simple solution - drop TeamCeline. When it's time to renew your membership, just don't do it. I'm not going to. It doesn't get me ANYTHING. Oh, I can buy the tickets a few weeks earlier. The seats aren't any better than I could've gotten 2 days before when they had to sell all those front row seats that they held for big bucks that not enough people want to pay for. TeamCeline is a major joke. I won't renew. If you know it's a joke, don't renew. Otherwise, you have no reason to complain. If fans quit falling for all of this stuff, they will stop doing it. Quote
Thomas Posted October 24, 2008 at 06:01 PM Posted October 24, 2008 at 06:01 PM I would like to hear from TeamCeline on this issue. I mean, they were quick enough to post here and warn us when someone joked about recording her CBS special so I'm sure they won't mind explaining why it seems we've been misled... Quote
Bellamy Posted October 24, 2008 at 06:12 PM Posted October 24, 2008 at 06:12 PM I would like to hear from TeamCeline on this issue. I mean, they were quick enough to post here and warn us when someone joked about recording her CBS special so I'm sure they won't mind explaining why it seems we've been misled...They could be periodically blind to certain topics. Quote Please support the forum by ordering everything through our special Amazon.com link Click here. Thank you!
tonybower Posted October 24, 2008 at 06:26 PM Posted October 24, 2008 at 06:26 PM I would have rejoined TC to enter the contest but I knew that it would only be eligible to US residents only. It is not the first time a contest has been limited to US fans and I find this unfair and upsetting. Like somebody else here mentioned, I would find a way to pay my own trip to anywhere and any show if I won a meet and greet. I'm not sure who organises these things but to me it seems completely contrary to what a fan club is all about. I'm glad I didn't pay to rejoin TC. I rarely even look at celinedion.com these days. It hardly seems worth it. I have grown so tired with all the marketing scams and business side of things... I just want to enjoy Celine's music; not be exploited because I am a fan! Quote iPod Most Played List The Power Of Love (several versions) - Céline DionThe First Time Ever I Saw Your Face - Roberta FlackSi dieu existe - Céline Dion & Claude DuBoisFrankenstein - Antony & the JohnsonsIn Some Small Way - Céline DionBird Gerhl - Antony & the JohnsonsLe blues du businessman - Céline Dion Ne rien savoir de Lol était la connaître déjà.
LuisMa Posted October 24, 2008 at 06:30 PM Posted October 24, 2008 at 06:30 PM I think Tony's word is the most appropriate for the whole situation: exploited Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.