Jump to content

Celine Says the Darnest Things...


Recommended Posts

Posted

I know, I understood her completely from the AND DVD, so I didn't understand the big fuss about that.... :hmm:

 

On the topic of speaking only French at home:

 

They must speak enough English at home for RC to know it, because she said he is fluent in both languages :)

 

 

"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep, because reality is finally better than your dreams."

 

Visit Celinerific.com today!

Posted
I just think its funny that although everyone kept making such a joke about the "children and parents" line from LV she kept saying it for 4 1/2 years!

 

Yeah, and what about "This next song..."

 

I always picture this:

Celine starts the prhase just like that, and immediatly the crowd continues

 

"This next song was written by Jean-Jacques Goldman..."

Love comes to those who believe it...

Posted (edited)
"all the parents and children of the world" does not include grown ups that never procreated. :lol:

:giggle: :giggle:

 

How about...?

• To all the parents, children, and non-breeders of the world! :mdr: :P

Edited by Love,
Posted
I just think its funny that although everyone kept making such a joke about the "children and parents" line from LV she kept saying it for 4 1/2 years!

 

Yeah, and what about "This next song..."

 

I always picture this:

Celine starts the prhase just like that, and immediatly the crowd continues

 

"This next song was written by Jean-Jacques Goldman..."

 

And even before people start applauding she says... "you are so right!!"

What's up with that? At least give us a chance to clap ?!!! LOL :nono:

In Love With This Gal
Posted

I loved on Rosie O'Donnell in 2002 she said something along the lines of "When Rene-Charles is 20, what am I gonna do? I'm gonna marry him"

:mdr:

http://i.imgur.com/MfrTohK.gif

Posted
funny topic!

 

didn't she say a strange sentence to that boy in the a new day-dvd, like "some people have everything, they have nothing! it's wonderful"! ;)

 

I know I was like..."ummmmm" :blink: :hmm: :giggle:

 

Part of the reason why she's so adorable though ^_^

Posted
I know, I understood her completely from the AND DVD, so I didn't understand the big fuss about that.... :hmm:

 

On the topic of speaking only French at home:

 

They must speak enough English at home for RC to know it, because she said he is fluent in both languages :)

 

Oh ok, maybe she speaks both to him then! That's so cool that he's already bilingual (spelling?) I remember her saying the staff at the house speak English and Spanish to him though. I wonder what kind of accent he has/will have when he's older!!!

Posted (edited)
Immediately, I had a flashback to the "picking my own tomatoes" of 1999 :P and thought of another time when she had said "the truth is in the poop."[/i] :rolleyes:

 

 

"The truth IS in the poop" :sofunny: What's goes in (or is already there) must come out :giggle: (realistically and symbolically :D ) We say this about Celine all the time (we love her not only for her talent but because she's so good on the inside. She oozes warmth and love) There is also a sense of "innocence" or "naivete" (I don't know how to explain what I mean here :D )

Edited by fyoung98
Posted
She said in Divas Las Vegas in the behind the scenes something along the lines of "It's very strange as I've never been called 'A Diva' before" ummm Celine I'm pretty sure you were in VH1 Divas Live a few years earlier lol :laugh:
Posted
She said in Divas Las Vegas in the behind the scenes something along the lines of "It's very strange as I've never been called 'A Diva' before" ummm Celine I'm pretty sure you were in VH1 Divas Live a few years earlier lol :laugh:

 

 

:laugh: :laugh: bimbo girl

Posted
Does she say the same types of things when she does interviews in French? I wonder if sometimes (since she's not a native English speaker) she still finds it difficult to express her thoughts the way she means them into English especially when she doesn't really have time to think about how she's going to answer. Is like we say about her French songs? They are better in French 1) because of the beauty of the language 2) translating them in English causes them to lose some of their meaning. :hmm: I think it makes a huge difference when the interview is done in French and her responses probably sound a lot different. Outside of doing interviews, how often does Celine speak English (Not that I expect anyone who isn't around her to really know this)?

 

Obviously I'm not around her either, but I recall her saying she and Rene speak French at home, and to their family. So I'm guessing unless she's speaking to someone who only speaks English, she speaks French.

 

 

Although she's been speaking English for a while now, I think she's still learning. I know this is about the funny things that Celine says. I think that because she doesn't use the language on a regular basis (outside of interviews) it explains a lot in how she says things. Personally, i enjoy hearing Celine make these kinds of comments. They make me smile because I know they are well intentioned. I've seen some of her interviews given in French where her thoughts flow without hesitation, but in interviews given in English, you can actually see her trying to think about how to phrase what she wants to say. It may not come out the way she means it (the darndest thing :shy: ) but you know it's heartfelt. You gotta love her for it.

 

 

Very beautiful thread and I definately agree with what has been said above.

I'm not a English native speaker myself aswell and I sometimes notice that sentences which sounds so logical in my language are completely nonsense in for instance English. It's cute that she sometimes makes these 'mistakes', shows that she's human too right?

Love, Esther

 

- 2th of June - Amsterdam Arena - the Netherlands

- 15th of March 2011- Caesars Palace Las Vegas

- 16th of March 2011- Caesars Palace Las Vegas

- it was absolutely amazing!-

My Facebook

My Twitter

Posted

same for me, i normally don't speak english or french and i'm sure i write a lot of crap! ;) but for céline i like it when she does strange sentences like the ones that were mentioned! and i definitely got the one with the boy on the a new day-dvd, i know exactly what she meant, but the way she said it was really funny and gave a total different meaning (and besides, i would have told the sentence the same way, i guess, it was spontaneous)! ;) those are the things i love the most and also in my language i easily can laugh my i-don't-know-what off about sentences like this (even when i say them)!

 

it's true that i remember some crazy english céline-things, but not a lot of french ones! maybe i pay more attention in english! i like when she's a little out of control when she speaks (often happens when she's on oprah or ellen-show) and she starts to talk about strange things how they mixed up parts of her and parts of rené to 'create' rené-charles, and she wonders why the arm is on the right place and everything (that was on oprah a few years ago...)! ;) poor rené-charles if he sees that in a few years! ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/Smiley7/plaines1.jpg

 

taking chances world tour:

paris (19.05.), amsterdam (02.06.), zurich (24.06.), milano (03.07.), geneva (09.07.)

montréal (15.08.), québec city (22.08.), montréal (25.08.)

Posted
I just think its funny that although everyone kept making such a joke about the "children and parents" line from LV she kept saying it for 4 1/2 years!

 

I'm not a native speaker of English so I don't see what is funny about "all the children and parents in the world"? Anyone could explain? :confused:

http://img015.photo.21cn.com/photos/album/20090407/m/F9F2592882544BCAD62C9F8B3B158FB8.jpg

 

从明天起, 做一个幸福的人. 喂马, 劈柴, 周游世界.

从明天起, 关心粮食和蔬菜. 我有一所房子, 面朝大海, 春暖花开.

Posted
I just think its funny that although everyone kept making such a joke about the "children and parents" line from LV she kept saying it for 4 1/2 years!

 

I'm not a native speaker of English so I don't see what is funny about "all the children and parents in the world"? Anyone could explain? :confused:

All the parents and children of the world would refer to everyone in the world because everyone has once been a child and has parents :lol: So it's funny that she would dedicate a song to every single person in the world.

http://i.imgur.com/MfrTohK.gif

Posted
I just think its funny that although everyone kept making such a joke about the "children and parents" line from LV she kept saying it for 4 1/2 years!

 

I'm not a native speaker of English so I don't see what is funny about "all the children and parents in the world"? Anyone could explain? :confused:

All the parents and children of the world would refer to everyone in the world because everyone has once been a child and has parents :lol: So it's funny that she would dedicate a song to every single person in the world.

 

My native language is french also like Céline's and I also didn't think that was that funny that she dedicated a song to everyone in the world who is a parent or at least as been a child for sure once. In French, she could have said that but maybe it's not usual to translate that thought in an english way. Céline knows very well that it means everyone I'm sure. It was just a different and original way of saying it to put an amphasis to the fact that she, as a parent, was dedicating a song to her child : ...my own RC. Céline wanted to dedicate her song to everyone in the world(being a parent or at least was a child once if not parent)...and RC. The important part here that everyone who talks about it don't say is : 'but especially to my own...René-Charles!' So it's simple it means to everyone who's a parent like her or if not, a child once...but especially to HER OWN RC! In french, she would have said : Je veux dédier cette chanson à tous les parents et à tous les enfants dans le monde...et spécialement au mien René-Charles! So when you talk about that presentation you must include the part : and especially to my own RC and then it takes its full meaning. But you know what maybe in english that different and original way of qualifying everyone in the world comes across like why don't she say it straight and that would be funny but it's really not funny in French. In French we often use poetic ways(short of a better word) to say the same things. So I understand completely why some are confused with it and for others it's obvious. But again making this Céline quote without the end 'and especially to my own RC' is not being fair exactly. Listen to youtube where they make fun of it...we don't hear that last part of Céline's dedication. I know it's a bit long to explain it but like Céline it's not my native language so I'm sorry for the lengh and my english mistakes. :bye1:

Posted
I know, I understood her completely from the AND DVD, so I didn't understand the big fuss about that.... :hmm:

 

On the topic of speaking only French at home:

 

They must speak enough English at home for RC to know it, because she said he is fluent in both languages :)

 

Oh ok, maybe she speaks both to him then! That's so cool that he's already bilingual (spelling?) I remember her saying the staff at the house speak English and Spanish to him though. I wonder what kind of accent he has/will have when he's older!!!

 

RC is homeschooled(before and on tour) in english, that's why he is bilingual now but I'm sure Céline doesn't speak to him in english. She wants him to be bilingual and that's the way to do it. She never does speak in english herself with René and or family and friends....of course she speaks english for shows, TV, DVD or because they would be with people or friends who don't understand french. Of course it wouldn't be polite to do so. :nono: In the AND DVD it's funny to hear René saying to Céline in english that maybe they should let RC sleep on the divan.... :sofunny: I don't think he does that in their everyday life...why would they anyway? Obviously it must be rare if it ever happens ...they are both french-speaking born. A lot of you speak two languages here, would you speak in english with your family and friends if you are all italian speaking native for instance? I don't think so! In Paris Match in France they said that RC spoke english with a Vegan(LV) accent and french with a quebecer accent.... oh no!! :doh: :giggle: I don't know what a Vegan accent sound like but I know what a Quebecer's accent sound like...I have one! :yes: :laugh: :bye1:

Posted
funny topic!

 

didn't she say a strange sentence to that boy in the a new day-dvd, like "some people have everything, they have nothing! it's wonderful"! ;)

 

I know I was like..."ummmmm" :blink: :hmm: :giggle:

 

Part of the reason why she's so adorable though ^_^

 

Yeah, another great example here of a french-speaking way of saying something that isn't so obvious in english I guess :giggle: She meant that some people think they have it all(money, glory, power, superficial things or values....or whatever...) but really they possess nothing that's truly worth something... :hmm: :giggle: Anyway I guess you get it :yes: and probably got it before my post. :yes:

 

By the way, great topic guys!

I know Céline still makes funny sentences in english still and I find it funny too. But believe me I know where she comes from, I've been speaking for a lot more years than her and I still express myself in english often in a french way shall I say :giggle: :sofunny: I think she's come a long way and in fact to us she's doing pretty well considering how late she learn. She probably sings a lot more the language than she speaks it really in her everyday life :bye1:

Posted

As much as some of the stuff she says can sound weird, I think for the most part we know what she means, and her intentions are beautiful :)

 

I was thinking today how true it is, that sometimes people have everything but have nothing. You can have all of the things you want, but it's not worth anything if you don't have the people you love, and you're not happy with you life. It was just odd that she said it was wonderful lol, but she meant it in the right way.

 

As for the thing about all the parents and children, I didn't even realise it was funny, for a long time. Of course everyone was a child, and a lot of people are parents, but I think what she meant was that she wanted people to think of their own parents and children (if they have them) while she sang the song.

 

Another darnest thing...when she said she wanted to perform naked for a naked audience! Again, nice intentions, but LOL!

Posted
Maybe im strange but i understood the phrase Celine used with the boy on the A New Day dvd completely. I took her to mean that people who have everything materially may have nothing emotionally. and that even though you may have all the material worth of millions of pounds in the bank, that that is nothing if you dont have people in your life that love you. :shrug:
http://www.celinerific.com/Signatures/NHASig1.jpg
Posted
Maybe im strange but i understood the phrase Celine used with the boy on the A New Day dvd completely. I took her to mean that people who have everything materially may have nothing emotionally. and that even though you may have all the material worth of millions of pounds in the bank, that that is nothing if you dont have people in your life that love you. :shrug:

 

Eventhough I have the francophone DVD, that's what I understood also thinking in french what she wanted to say exactly. I agree completely with you! Because that's what she realize for herself over the years...and probably always knew inconciously. In a great interview she did last year in France, she said how, for her at least, success wasn't that beautiful. That she had made sure and tried very hard always not to be part of this success in her life. That's what made her keep an emotionnal stability(I don't remember her exact words)....That now she had RC(and René) and turning 40 she was absolutely sure that her true and deep happiness resided elsewhere in her life. That she wasn't only a singer but that she existed as a whole person(difficult to translate). That her most valued happiness resided in her being able to exist as a person outside showbusiness with a loving family and mainly that her love of life alone could by itself bring her enough happiness to go on if losing money, success, her voice. That she had an inner voice that was much more powerful. She's very much fullfill now. And to have more or as much love in her personal life than she had from the fans and success in showbusiness kept her sane, fulfill, down to earth and happy. She even answered when asked : 'that nothing was missing for her happiness'. This interview is 'Sept à huit' for those wondering and there's a translation, it's on youtube. Just great! Céline in a deep interview.

Posted
I think Celine is great because she is so grounded and appreciates that showbusiness is not the be all and end all of everything :wub:
http://www.celinerific.com/Signatures/NHASig1.jpg
Posted
Another darnest thing...when she said she wanted to perform naked for a naked audience! Again, nice intentions, but LOL!

 

:sofunny: really? And when did she say this? :clap: :P

http://img419.imageshack.us/img419/7673/celinedioncg5.jpg

 

My Taking Chances World Tour

02 June 2008 - Amsterdam

22 June 2008 - Munich

03 July 2008 - Milan

05 September 2008 - Philadelphia

14 February 2009 - Montreal

Posted (edited)
"all the parents and children of the world" does not include grown ups that never procreated. :lol:

:giggle: :giggle:

 

How about...?

• To all the parents, children, and non-breeders of the world! :mdr: :P

 

:clap: yesss that would include EVERYBODY. :thumbsup2:

 

I just think its funny that although everyone kept making such a joke about the "children and parents" line from LV she kept saying it for 4 1/2 years!

 

I'm not a native speaker of English so I don't see what is funny about "all the children and parents in the world"? Anyone could explain? :confused:

All the parents and children of the world would refer to everyone in the world because everyone has once been a child and has parents :lol: So it's funny that she would dedicate a song to every single person in the world.

 

It does not include everybody. She said parents and children, not parents, children and former children.

 

Maybe im strange but i understood the phrase Celine used with the boy on the A New Day dvd completely. I took her to mean that people who have everything materially may have nothing emotionally. and that even though you may have all the material worth of millions of pounds in the bank, that that is nothing if you dont have people in your life that love you. :shrug:

 

Yes, me too, good for you, I think that's exactly what she meant. :flowers: I don't think you are strange, I think that what is strange is that people won't make a minimal effort to interpret. :shrug:

 

 

 

PS I have the great pleasure to announce this is my first multiquote ever **pads himself on the shoulder** thank you for your constant support and patience, to my family, friends, my life partner who stuck with me through better and worse, my pet, my agent, my doctor, and last but not least JESUS... I couldn't have done it without y'all!! **grabs the award** Wow this thing is heavy!! (now with sqeeky Celine voice:) THANK YOU, GOOD NIGHT!!!!!

Edited by Javier_Natalio
Posted
PS I have the great pleasure to announce this is my first multiquote ever **pads himself on the shoulder** thank you for your constant support and patience, to my family, friends, my life partner who stuck with me through better and worse, my pet, my agent, ant last but no least JESUS... I couldn't have done it without y'all!!

Oh my God! I'm so happy for you! After all this time...

 

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

 

You must feel so proud of yourself right now....

 

:laugh: :laugh:

Posted
I can't find the original article, but this one pretty much sums it up:

 

http://archive.salon.com/people/col/reit/2...ues/index.html#

 

Thank you! :flowers:

Well, even if the reason why she tought about it is a good one, I think it would be soooo strange to do something like that! :P :yes:

http://img419.imageshack.us/img419/7673/celinedioncg5.jpg

 

My Taking Chances World Tour

02 June 2008 - Amsterdam

22 June 2008 - Munich

03 July 2008 - Milan

05 September 2008 - Philadelphia

14 February 2009 - Montreal

Posted
Haha I know. I completely agree with her intentions, I think more people should think that way...but I don't think it would work.
Posted
PS I have the great pleasure to announce this is my first multiquote ever **pads himself on the shoulder** thank you for your constant support and patience, to my family, friends, my life partner who stuck with me through better and worse, my pet, my agent, ant last but no least JESUS... I couldn't have done it without y'all!!

Oh my God! I'm so happy for you! After all this time...

 

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

 

You must feel so proud of yourself right now....

 

:laugh: :laugh:

 

This moment is right up there with all other significant moments in my life. Learning how to walk, then ride a bike, make the perfect omelette, and now multiquoting at the one and only Celine Dion Forum. I'm overwhelmed, excuse me if I get teary eyed.

 

I apologize for diverging. I'll give you a topic: Celine says the darnest things... talk amongst yourselves.

Posted
Didn't she say something about Skies of LA and palm trees? I don't know that whole story but I remember thinking what the??? :lol:

LMAO :mdr: :mdr: I don't remember what my reaction was like when I read about this. I remember back during the release of "Taking Chances," the fans were buzzing about the significance of THE LAST SONG of the album and that it's supposed to mean something special to Celine...

 

I, myself, interpreted the song as one about an uncertain future, which tied in well with the opening track about taking chances... in life.

 

But the article suggested that it was about the environment. And Celine thought it was about PALM TREES!

 

P A L M..... T R E E S :mdr:

 

Well, there ya go... :sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny:

 

 

I love this....so funny, there is Celine singing in her own little world about palm trees and rainbows lol completely oblivious to the songs more serious meaning :P :sofunny:

 

 

I like how when she was recording Map to My Heart she didn't know what strum meant..... :wub: She was like "You...you what?" and he said strum She was like "What does that mean?"

Shes such a cutie...lol :D

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e381/goldengryffindor/Celinedionsig-1.jpg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...