Jump to content

Celine Will Be on Luminary Awards January 22, 2014


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

do u guys think she did it for free? she travelled with her whole band!

I really hope so because she doesn't need any more money at this point. If anything, make people happy with her voice if she feels like it (like with the sales of the LMBTL album, we all know she can raise that same amount of money lip-synching to old songs in Vegas during two weeks). But she definitely did it for herself, for her career or for her fans. Not for the money!

Edited by mike_z
Posted

do u guys think she did it for free? she travelled with her whole band!

I really hope so because she doesn't need any more money at this point. If anything, make people happy with her voice if she feels like it (like with the sales of the LMBTL album, we all know she can raise that same amount of money lip-synching to old songs in Vegas during two weeks). But she definitely did it for herself, for her career or for her fans. Not for the money!

 

Being realistic I imagine there was some fee that had to be paid for her to perform but considering the event was a fundraiser it probably was not a lot as say the fee she was paid for other private events

  • Like 2

http://24.media.tumblr.com/5fc8ed1dcd8690c2a8e2cad08629e4ba/tumblr_mrwbegFInv1rothmmo1_500.jpg

January 5, 2013 -- Las Vegas August 18, 2013 -- Las Vegas

Posted

Dr. Gerald Berke found out what R-E-S-P-E-C-T meant to him at the UCLA Head and Neck Surgery’s 2014 Luminary Awards Wednesday night at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel.

Intro’d by the evening’s host Wayne Newton, a UCLA gospel choir welcomed the crowd by performing Kool & The Gang’s “Celebrate,” Jackson 5’s “ABC” and Aretha Franklin’s “Respect.”

Although singer John Mayer, Dianne and James Bashor, and Ann and Jerry Moss were honored with the Luminary Awards, each of them lauded UCLA and Dr. Gerald Berke’s work.

“He probably didn’t know who I was,” Mayer joked in his acceptance speech. “‘Who’s John Mayer? I’m too busy cloning a throat.’”

Mayer, who was referred to Berke after being diagnosed with a granuloma of the vocal chords, became an avid supporter and friend after the treatment allowed him to tour again. At one of his concerts at the Hollywood Bowl soon after, Mayer paused halfway through his sold-out show to graciously thank Berke for getting him “singing on the stage again” after acknowledging that it had been a “long road.”

“I happened to learn that the voice is an instrument,” Mayer said. “Nobody sees that instrument as delicately as carefully as phenomenally as Dr. Berke and his colleagues.”

Mayer proceeded to perform his hit song “Daughters” and a new song, “Dear Marie,” which is off of his newest album, “Paradise Valley.”

After Mayer entertained the guests, dinner was served followed by a performance from the Plácido Domingo Singers of the L.A. Opera.

The evening culminated with a performance from special guest Celine Dion, who was also a patient of Berke’s.

Proceeds from the gala will benefit the Department of Head and Neck Surgery at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA.

 

http://variety.com/2...ard-1201068072/

  • Like 2
Posted
I don't like that always because you loved me or the power of love are the songs being sung. Man she has loads better songs than because you loved me. I cannot hear it anymore. Been there done that. She better sing one of the songs from her new album, like thankful or didn't know love, water and a flame. She seems to be for always stuck in her 90s hits. As if there is not more to sing then those songs always and every occasion again.
  • Like 2
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hl2XkxnYljg" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Posted

I don't like that always because you loved me or the power of love are the songs being sung. Man she has loads better songs than because you loved me. I cannot hear it anymore. Been there done that. She better sing one of the songs from her new album, like thankful or didn't know love, water and a flame. She seems to be for always stuck in her 90s hits. As if there is not more to sing then those songs always and every occasion again.

 

Yes, but that's what the casual fans know and want to hear. When people are paying $250,000 for a table, they want to hear MHWGO, BYLM, POL and MHWGO. Casual fans don't know much from her repertoire after the 90's. Plus, there were probably many people there who aren't even causal fans of hers. Singing her biggest hits at least means they're hearing something they know.

  • Like 3
Posted
someone needs to put her outfits into the closet,
Posted

Yes, but that's what the casual fans know and want to hear. When people are paying $250,000 for a table, they want to hear MHWGO, BYLM, POL and MHWGO. Casual fans don't know much from her repertoire after the 90's. Plus, there were probably many people there who aren't even causal fans of hers. Singing her biggest hits at least means they're hearing something they know.

 

Does this mean her casual fans/listeners want to hear "My Heart Will Go On" twice in the same night? :giggle: :-D ;)

 

In all seriousness, though, and at the very least, I do wish she would bring back the "Radio Remix" of "A New Day Has Come" to her set lists. The song may not be as huge as "My Heart Will Go On" or "The Power Of Love," but it is pretty well known. Plus, it's not as obscure as some of her other singles such as "You And I," "In Some Small Way," "Stand By Your Side," "My Love" or "I Want You To Need Me."

  • Like 2
Posted

Does this mean her casual fans/listeners want to hear "My Heart Will Go On" twice in the same night? :giggle: :-D ;)

 

 

LOL - I so meant to write IACBTMN instead of the second MHWGO! In my defense, before I typed this, I had just watched a clip of MHWGO from this Luminary Awards night and it was obviously stuck in my head!

  • Like 1
Posted
In the rehearsals she is just being free with her voice....not restraining or being hesitant or fearful like she is in Vegas...
  • Like 1
Posted

In the rehearsals she is just being free with her voice....not restraining or being hesitant or fearful like she is in Vegas...

Rehearsal and a show are two different things. In a rehearsal there is no pressure or stress it allows her to relax and have fun with her voice and if she makes a mistake it doesn't matter so it's not because it isn't Vegas that she is allowing herself to be free with her voice it's because it is a rehearsal.

  • Like 4

http://24.media.tumblr.com/5fc8ed1dcd8690c2a8e2cad08629e4ba/tumblr_mrwbegFInv1rothmmo1_500.jpg

January 5, 2013 -- Las Vegas August 18, 2013 -- Las Vegas

Posted
Celine looks awesome, I love the hair, the makeup, the dress :) She even looks younger :) Oh, and I didn't know Teri Hatcher was also there :) And she's a beautiful woman and a talented actress but i wish she looked better... :unsure:
Love comes to those who believe it...
Posted

One thing I don't get is why celine is in LA and not going to the Grammys!

 

Kev x

  • Like 1
Posted
I really hope she attends the Grammys too while she is in LA, would be cool to see her there!
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_-RQtOAL6F2I/TAZl-_MB2AI/AAAAAAAAAiI/bkJK6a44q3o/s1600/celine-dion-goodbyes-the-saddest-word.jpg
Posted (edited)
I understand that this was for some casual fans but, I still think she could have snuck in LMBTL, or Breakaway, or WAAF. Something like that. These hit songs are just boring. Oh btw I do like BYLM but I agree that does get boring. Edited by Prima_Donna1
  • Like 1

Apprends-Moi tes Secrets...

http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy180/miss_daly2881/post-1110-0-56076900-1358706235_thumb.jpg

Posted
Singing the same old repertoire is so boring! They don't even choose other older songs... It's so sad! An awesome opportunity to promote and she does nothing from recent albums
  • Like 2
A New Day... 10th & 11th November 2006 Taking Chances World Tour, Antwerp 13th & 14th May 2008, Kraków 28th June 2008 Celine 25th & 27th & 31st August 2013 20th, 23rd, 24th, 27th & 28th September 2016 Sans attendre Tour, Paris 1st & 5th December 2013 Encore un soir, Paris 24th, 25th, 28th, 29th June & 2nd, 3rd, 6th, 7th, 9th July 2016 Live 2017 Stockholm 17th June 2017 Lille 1st & 2nd July 2017 Paris 8th & 9th July 2017 Berlin 23rd & 24th July 2017 Live 2018 Taipei 11th & 13th July 2018 Manila 19th July 2018 Bangkok 23rd July 2018 BST Hyde Park London 5 July 2019
Posted

One thing I don't get is why celine is in LA and not going to the Grammys!

 

Kev x

On topic of Grammys, don't you have to be invited?

Posted

 

On topic of Grammys, don't you have to be invited?

 

I'm pretty sure she is invited every year. She's Celine Dion.

  • Like 3

Matthew Charles - "Fix You" - Live at The Stonewall Inn

Stonewall Sensation - Season 15

Originally written and performed by Coldplay

Posted

 

 

I'm pretty sure she is invited every year. She's Celine Dion.

Well yea lol I just wasn't sure how that worked.

Posted

Rehearsal and a show are two different things. In a rehearsal there is no pressure or stress it allows her to relax and have fun with her voice and if she makes a mistake it doesn't matter so it's not because it isn't Vegas that she is allowing herself to be free with her voice it's because it is a rehearsal.

 

This isn't entirely true. There are plenty of artists out there who have no problem with having fun on stage, being carefree and who are relaxed enough to just let loose and have fun with their vocals. While I love Céline to death, and while she is still my favorite entertainer of all-time, she does come off as a bit uptight and too much of a perfectionist during her shows. (This coming from a Virgo who is a darn uptight perfectionist himself!) I just wish she would say, "F--- it!," and learn to just let loose on stage. She rarely, if ever, does that anymore.

 

That's my two cents.

  • Like 3
Posted

This isn't entirely true. There are plenty of artists out there who have no problem with having fun on stage, being carefree and who are relaxed enough to just let loose and have fun with their vocals. While I love Céline to death, and while she is still my favorite entertainer of all-time, she does come off as a bit uptight and too much of a perfectionist during her shows. (This coming from a Virgo who is a darn uptight perfectionist himself!) I just wish she would say, "F--- it!," and learn to just let loose on stage. She rarely, if ever, does that anymore.

 

That's my two cents.

 

I said that in regards to Celine, not other performers. It has always seemed like she is very much a perfectionist when actually performing and has said herself in I believe 3BAANS that rehearsals are a time for her and her band to have fun. She takes her concerts and performances extremely serious so its not surprising that even if she still can hit and hold the big note like in ABM that she would prefer to lip it in a show because that way she doesn't risk something happening like not hitting it or being off with it, even though in rehearsals and sound checks she can do it without if any problems.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/5fc8ed1dcd8690c2a8e2cad08629e4ba/tumblr_mrwbegFInv1rothmmo1_500.jpg

January 5, 2013 -- Las Vegas August 18, 2013 -- Las Vegas

Posted
I've often wondered if she also chooses to lip that note because she sometimes goes flat during the a capella section. As embarrassing at it seems to me to have her go flat and then suddenly hit the right notes because it's a track, it would be far worse for her if she hit that big note and it was a half step down from what it's supposed to be. When the band came back in and she's flat, that would sound terrible! Think the beginning of SSDA from the millennium concert.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...