Jump to content

Diva Showdown : Celine VS Whitney : A Song For You


Which version do you like better?  

82 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

Posted

I think Céline would do great in jazz - just listen to "Quand on s'aime" or some songs from "Simplement Marnay" special! Simply WOW!!

 

As for this comparisement - my kudos go to Whitney, I enjoyed her songs very much back than, she got amazing voice...

You may say Whitney "extendes" some songs live to the maxxx... ok, your right to say so.

But as I'm presonally a huge fan of amazing voice performances, vibratos etc. especially in female voices - I love the way Whitney sang this song!

 

Today there are less great voices who can provide such amazing performances... The one and only Céline, my other huga faves Delta, Barbra, Lara... not much more... maybe Leona?

Visit me on Facebook

  • 14th & 16th May 2008 - Antwerp Sportpaleis
  • 24th & 25th May 2008 - Paris Bercy
  • 2nd June 2008 - Amsterdam ArenA
  • 12th June 2008 - Berlin Waldbühne
  • 18th June 2008 - Köln Arena
  • 20th June 2008 - Hamburg Colorline Arena
  • 28th June 2008 - Kraków Błonia Park
  • 1st July 2008 - Vienna Stadthalle
  • 15th, 16th, 19th & 20th August 2008 - Montréal Bell Centre
  • 10th, 15th & 16th March 2011 - Las Vegas Caesars Palace Colosseum

J'étais là pour toi, Céline!

Why has Javito been silenced ???

Posted

eeeek a jazz album????...omg!!!...interesting.......

 

i prefer the whitney song ....but i love aretha's version of it ....some songs are epic and deserve extended live versions others are just artists indulging themselves...

love doesn't ask why

speaks from the heart and never explains

dont you know that love doesn't think twice

it can come all at once or whisper from a distance

Posted
Now, Aretha is the one who overexagerates on notes and extensions in the songs! Haven't heard her rendition of this song but she's one of those great voices which I rather don't like... She screams too much for my taste.

Visit me on Facebook

  • 14th & 16th May 2008 - Antwerp Sportpaleis
  • 24th & 25th May 2008 - Paris Bercy
  • 2nd June 2008 - Amsterdam ArenA
  • 12th June 2008 - Berlin Waldbühne
  • 18th June 2008 - Köln Arena
  • 20th June 2008 - Hamburg Colorline Arena
  • 28th June 2008 - Kraków Błonia Park
  • 1st July 2008 - Vienna Stadthalle
  • 15th, 16th, 19th & 20th August 2008 - Montréal Bell Centre
  • 10th, 15th & 16th March 2011 - Las Vegas Caesars Palace Colosseum

J'étais là pour toi, Céline!

Why has Javito been silenced ???

Posted
Now, Aretha is the one who overexagerates on notes and extensions in the songs! Haven't heard her rendition of this song but she's one of those great voices which I rather don't like... She screams too much for my taste.

i agree a hundred %! she irritates me. she's the queen of oversinging and exageration! :huh:

Posted
There are other's who made this song justice (no not for Christ sake Screamlina Agonytohearya), a humble example of that is Micheal Bublé's rendition:
I would love to hear Céline sing this song one day. :wub:

 

/fred

 

MAN! I love mr.Bubble! :wub:

 

ASFY is one of those songs that i will skip on my cd player nearly everytime i play the album it is on.It is a good song,and she sings it beautifully and with soooo much emotion BUT i think it was more a song for Rene rather than song for us! :D

 

I would still pick this song over the Whitney song,just because i got so annoyed with the way she took so darn long to get each line out! :angry2: arghhhhhhhh :laugh:

CHOCOLATE is the answer....I don't give a damn what the question was!

 

post-12635-0-89761500-1424796798_thumb.png

Posted
Now, Aretha is the one who overexagerates on notes and extensions in the songs! Haven't heard her rendition of this song but she's one of those great voices which I rather don't like... She screams too much for my taste.

i agree a hundred %! she irritates me. she's the queen of oversinging and exageration! :huh:

 

aretha recorded the song in 1974 off the let me in your life album...when she was 32 ...her voice on her earlier recordings was sweet and powerful..you should give it a listen.......quite different to her latter day recordings...there are still a few whoops though...lol

 

Aretha is the second most honored female singer in Grammy history (after Alison Krauss). :clap:

love doesn't ask why

speaks from the heart and never explains

dont you know that love doesn't think twice

it can come all at once or whisper from a distance

Posted
Actually Whitney's version is not just Whitney's, A Song For You is a classic song so many artists have sang, amount them Christina Aguilera and Elliot Jamin... in my opinion is soooo much better than the song Celine sang in her latest album, which is a completely different song, i think that's why these songs shouldn't be compare, they're both beautiful songs in their own way.
Posted
Now, Aretha is the one who overexagerates on notes and extensions in the songs! Haven't heard her rendition of this song but she's one of those great voices which I rather don't like... She screams too much for my taste.

i agree a hundred %! she irritates me. she's the queen of oversinging and exageration! :huh:

Have you guys even heard of Screamlina Agonytohearya?!

 

/fred

Peace and love to all.
Posted
These are two different song really...I have to give it to Whitney...so clear and amazing

Music Is Life...Live It

You are the music while the music lasts. ~T.S. Eliot

"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." ~ Walt Disney

Posted
Celine for the win! :D

http://i58.tinypic.com/2qbub9c.png

 

@ErikaTran | Insta: aireexwp | erikatran.com

Posted

My ears couldn't bear to finish Whitney's video...It was painfully boring and drawn out...

 

I love this song from Celine, so I pick her :in_love:

 

 

"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep, because reality is finally better than your dreams."

 

Visit Celinerific.com today!

Posted
Celine for the win! :D

 

Well, have you expected something else on Céline'sforum? :lol:

Visit me on Facebook

  • 14th & 16th May 2008 - Antwerp Sportpaleis
  • 24th & 25th May 2008 - Paris Bercy
  • 2nd June 2008 - Amsterdam ArenA
  • 12th June 2008 - Berlin Waldbühne
  • 18th June 2008 - Köln Arena
  • 20th June 2008 - Hamburg Colorline Arena
  • 28th June 2008 - Kraków Błonia Park
  • 1st July 2008 - Vienna Stadthalle
  • 15th, 16th, 19th & 20th August 2008 - Montréal Bell Centre
  • 10th, 15th & 16th March 2011 - Las Vegas Caesars Palace Colosseum

J'étais là pour toi, Céline!

Why has Javito been silenced ???

Posted
Celine for the win! :D

 

Well, have you expected something else on Céline'sforum? :lol:

True dat true dat :sofunny:

 

 

"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep, because reality is finally better than your dreams."

 

Visit Celinerific.com today!

Posted

When I first read this thread, I thought it is the song that R. Kelly had written for Whitney's new album, which I have been dying to hear Whitney singing it ever since I heard the small clip on Youtube sung by R.Kelly. ( http://youtube.com/watch?v=32pKUftFBu8 ) I then found out that song is actually called "I Look To You", not this A Song For You.

 

Anyway, back to the question. Hmmm...Celine's ASFY is a songs that I skip most of the time now when I play the album, as for Whitney's rendition of this classic, she definitely sounded great, but both songs aren't really my cup of tea.

Posted

I don't know why you dislike ASFY

I think it's an amazing song

maybe yes it's not the kind that you want to listen to everyday

but it's an amazing song and it's one of my TC favorites

 

so Celine wins by a mile

please listen, I wrote This for Celine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-d8j5nOqSk

Posted
I think Céline would do great in jazz - just listen to "Quand on s'aime" or some songs from "Simplement Marnay" special! Simply WOW!!

Celine can pull off anything in French but it's a jazz album in English that would worry me a little bit.

http://cdn.webecoist.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/modern-pet-solo-blown-glass.jpg
Posted
celine doing jazz music? NO WAY!

A jazz album is not a matter of IF, dhena, it's a matter of WHEN. :) If her Simplement Marnay performances are any indication (Boy, Quand on s'aime is AMAZING), Celine's got the raw ability but she needs producers who'll monitor her voice as religiously as David Foster and JJG did in the past. Imagine the runs and adlibs we'd be hearing from a jazz CD!

http://cdn.webecoist.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/modern-pet-solo-blown-glass.jpg
Posted
I'm wondering what answers you expect when you post this on a Celine Dion fan-board :sofunny:
Posted
I really like Whitney's song/performance, but I think that if I heard Celine sing this same version, it would be much better!

"...I offer what you cannot buy,

devoted love, until we die"

~Je t'aime, Céline!

 

http://www.celinerific.com/Gallery/CelineRene/CelineRene26.jpg

Posted
celine doing jazz music? NO WAY!

 

She already did two jazz songs, 'Summertime' and 'Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered' and she sounded great :flowers:

Music Is Life...Live It

You are the music while the music lasts. ~T.S. Eliot

"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." ~ Walt Disney

Posted

Manuel, you are right, a French jazz album would deffinitely sound amazing, without any doubt and I also wanna hear her singing jazz (and anything else) in French in the first line but the songs Kathy just mentioned (above this post of mine) reminds us that Céline can also sound great in jazzy stuff in English!! Or think of "Fever" - wasn't it a great vocal performance by Céline?

 

Yeah, "Quand on s'aime" is one of my absolute fave songs!! It's just perfect!! :) By the way, you can find it on her first live album "Céline Dion en concert" as a part of a medley but of course the version from 2003 tops it all!

Céline & René Simard sound so great together! :wub:

Visit me on Facebook

  • 14th & 16th May 2008 - Antwerp Sportpaleis
  • 24th & 25th May 2008 - Paris Bercy
  • 2nd June 2008 - Amsterdam ArenA
  • 12th June 2008 - Berlin Waldbühne
  • 18th June 2008 - Köln Arena
  • 20th June 2008 - Hamburg Colorline Arena
  • 28th June 2008 - Kraków Błonia Park
  • 1st July 2008 - Vienna Stadthalle
  • 15th, 16th, 19th & 20th August 2008 - Montréal Bell Centre
  • 10th, 15th & 16th March 2011 - Las Vegas Caesars Palace Colosseum

J'étais là pour toi, Céline!

Why has Javito been silenced ???

Posted (edited)
Definitely Céline! :wub: :wub: Edited by Celinette

<3 Céline Dion <3

Posted
Manuel, you are right, a French jazz album would deffinitely sound amazing, without any doubt and I also wanna hear her singing jazz (and anything else) in French in the first line but the songs Kathy just mentioned (above this post of mine) reminds us that Céline can also sound great in jazzy stuff in English!! Or think of "Fever" - wasn't it a great vocal performance by Céline?

 

Yeah, "Quand on s'aime" is one of my absolute fave songs!! It's just perfect!! :) By the way, you can find it on her first live album "Céline Dion en concert" as a part of a medley but of course the version from 2003 tops it all!

Céline & René Simard sound so great together! :wub:

Celine will attend a jazz festival in Tobago(!) this year, I heard? That's one unmistakable sign that Celine is serious about furthering her command of jazz music.

 

"Quand on s'aime" was recorded at 3 am, I think?

http://cdn.webecoist.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/modern-pet-solo-blown-glass.jpg
Posted
I think Celne could definitely do a jazz/standards album. If you have heard her sing Summertime and Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered, I'm sure many of you would agree.
Posted

although the song doesnt set my world on fire :P

i way prefer listening to celine's voice than whitneys!!

go celine!! she gets my vote!! :clap:

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww171/destin139/Celine2.jpg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...