Der_Griffon Posted March 21, 2008 at 05:16 PM Posted March 21, 2008 at 05:16 PM Well, prejudices about Americans in general are that they are stupid, arrogant, bad-mannered, and tasteless people, who live in a huge bubble. My experiences were entirely different though. But then again, those were made in the company of some colleagues at an international university in Bremen, Germany, so I don't know what to think. I don't believe that the average American even gets to a higher degree program, so I am not ready to simply rule all of those out. I can only say that my personal experiences with Americans were great. One of my best friends is from San Francisco actually and she's a fantastic girl. Also, every American I have been in contact with has been extremely nice, positive, well-mannered, cosmopolitan, and intelligent person. So, my experiences were great, but I have been in contact with people from a certain social class, who, in my opinion, cannot represent the average person, and as I have never been in America before, I cannot say anything out of experience. Quote http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj229/Der_Griffon/SIGNATURE-1-1-1.jpg March 15th and 16th 2011, Las VegasThank you Celine and thank you friends! I truly had the time of my life!
bfhb Posted March 21, 2008 at 05:37 PM Posted March 21, 2008 at 05:37 PM most people cannot believe that america voted bush back in a second time....thats what we cant forgive....here's hoping clinton or obama can bring about a more positive image of the states..any time i have been in USA i have had a wonderful time the people are the kindest most good mannered and savvy guys!!! Quote love doesn't ask whyspeaks from the heart and never explainsdont you know that love doesn't think twiceit can come all at once or whisper from a distance
A New Day Has Come Posted March 21, 2008 at 06:17 PM Posted March 21, 2008 at 06:17 PM Well here in Canada we think you are arragant, full of themselves, are our neighbours sadly, stupid, think we live in igloos, drive dog sleds and snows all the time and it is not true at all. Quote
Jeffieboi Posted March 21, 2008 at 06:30 PM Author Posted March 21, 2008 at 06:30 PM Well here in Canada we think you are arragant, full of themselves, are our neighbours sadly, stupid, think we live in igloos, drive dog sleds and snows all the time and it is not true at all. I've never heard that stereotype about Canadians in my life. Where did you get that from? That's more of a stereotype of people from Alaska. Quote
A New Day Has Come Posted March 21, 2008 at 06:36 PM Posted March 21, 2008 at 06:36 PM I had a friend that moved to Californa and one of her friends asked her if we had dog sleds and if it snows all the time also in Stuart Little 2 the teacher says that canada is sperate country from the U.S. :yes: Quote
Jeffieboi Posted March 21, 2008 at 06:43 PM Author Posted March 21, 2008 at 06:43 PM I had a friend that moved to Californa and one of her friends asked her if we had dog sleds and if it snows all the time also in Stuart Little 2 the teacher says that canada is sperate country from the U.S. :yes: Hmmmm....that's probably an isolated incident, but maybe it was asked because Canada is colder than the U.S. I went to school in the Upper Peninsula in Michigan, which is right by Canada (I've actually been to the border), and it's definately colder in the winder. I'm sure that person was just asking because of the climatic differences. There's only two stereotypes that Americans have about Canada, and they're both good. 1) Everybody's really friendly there 2) Celine is the queen of Canada I swear, even her non fans from the U.S. have declared her the unofficial queen, lol. Quote
Bellamy Posted March 21, 2008 at 06:57 PM Posted March 21, 2008 at 06:57 PM 2) Celine is the queen of Canada Why I heard it's more like most Americans(haters) think Celine is the worst thing come from Canada. Quote Please support the forum by ordering everything through our special Amazon.com link Click here. Thank you!
Jeffieboi Posted March 21, 2008 at 07:00 PM Author Posted March 21, 2008 at 07:00 PM Well for people that HATE her yeah I suppose, but you can still hate a queen, lol. Quote
Bellamy Posted March 21, 2008 at 07:02 PM Posted March 21, 2008 at 07:02 PM Canadian Idiot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kmrzoe5HoM4Seems that's common Americans thought about Canadians. Quote Please support the forum by ordering everything through our special Amazon.com link Click here. Thank you!
Jeffieboi Posted March 21, 2008 at 07:08 PM Author Posted March 21, 2008 at 07:08 PM Well you'll find hate for ANY celebrity all over the world. That was one video. And if someone hates Shania Twain, they would probably say SHE'S the worst thing to come out of Canada. Same thing with Bryan Adams, Avril Lavigne, etc. It all depends on your taste. Plus this is a Weird Al song, and you can't take what he says to heart because it's just a joke. Quote
Nat27 Posted March 22, 2008 at 11:29 AM Posted March 22, 2008 at 11:29 AM Well you'll find hate for ANY celebrity all over the world. That was one video. And if someone hates Shania Twain, they would probably say SHE'S the worst thing to come out of Canada. Yeah, but you could trump them with CELINE! Quote http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg55/Nat2728/Drawing1.jpg http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg55/Nat2728/50085.jpg
Ray Posted March 22, 2008 at 10:54 PM Posted March 22, 2008 at 10:54 PM But you know who are the worst?!!! the japanese!! they go to 11 european countries in 7 days and make pictures everywhere, picture, picture, picture and don't even know where they are... Americans are exactly the same! Last summer we were in Rome. And on several occasions (the city is full of tourists) we overheard Americans about "doing" Rome in three days, about "seeing" Europe in one week... My God, America most be so boring if you can do New York in three days or see America in one week... It took us 12 days to see Rome. And I've travelled around in Europe, but still haven't seen it all! What I don't understand: how did Bush become the president???? If Al Gore had the popular vote, why didn't raise the 'verdict' half the nation to it's feed? Why did "you" accept Bush as the president?! And how did he win a second time???? ANYONE else would have been better. And then there is the 'sex' thing. All this controversy about Janet Jackson's niple... Two weeks ago a tv-host ripped someone's underpants by accident, so there was this guy fully naked with his willy for everyone to see. (The show was live tv). No one was shocked here (besides this guy himself ) I got married 10 years ago. But if I had lived in America, I couldn't have gotten married, just because same sex marriages are still out of the question. It's like the whole racial thing again. First it took Afro Americans years and years to be accepted. Now it's the turn of gay people. Just imagine telling black people that they can't get married! Everybody would be so out of their minds. But hey, it's okay to tell gay people no. I hope there'll come a day, when people (even in America) will say: "Can you imagine that gay people were not allowed to get married?! Why in the world was this sort of discrimination allowed?!" Quote Céline Dion Mariah Carey Madonna Lara Fabian Debbie Gibson Wilson Phillips Linda Eder Tina Arena Martika
Jacqui Posted March 23, 2008 at 12:26 AM Posted March 23, 2008 at 12:26 AM I have no problem with Americans. I have a lot of American friends, and I really want to travel there.I'm familiar with the attitude you described though...it's almost like it's become the "cool" thing, here, to insult Americans. I'm not entirely sure why. Probably for the political reasons you mentioned? I know nothing about politics, but I do know that without America, we would have nothing to watch on Tv, hardly any good music to listen to, and we would be missing a lot of good foods.... Quote
tonybower Posted March 23, 2008 at 12:48 AM Posted March 23, 2008 at 12:48 AM I have a very mixed (and slightly naive) few of the States.I am not remotley interested in politics but the whole Bush thing is confusing. For the most part I am blinded by the glamour of America as it is portrayed in the media. That is to say, everyone is Hollywood-beauiful, all Americans have huge houses and the lifestyle is generally enviable. This means that when I meet 'real' Americans I am often disappointed. Not because they are dull and boring but because they are simply normal. However, I did not warm to the Americans I met at University in England. I'm not sure why. Most of them were very political so it might have been a personality clash... or maybe it's something about Americans who don't like America (these were all anti-America Americans). Am always slightly alarmed by how conservative a lot of Americans are too. I must say, though, that when I went to Vegas in October last year (my first and only time in the States) I had an incredible time. I found the people extremely friendly and charming. I suppose that's because most people I met were working for tips, but as someone who thought the American hospitality would be insincere and irritating, I found it charming and genuine. And as for the people who were not working in bars or shops, I was amazed at just how willing they all were to have a good time with friends and strangers alike. In the UK, a night out inevitably involves worrying about what others think and trying to maintain an air of respectability. In Vegas, everybody was open to everybody else, no 'too cool for school' and no making other people feel stupid. This was the best part of the whole experience. Maybe this is unique to Vegas... I don't know... In conclusion, although I still find myself in awe of Americans because of the media, I have found that there are some I like and some I don't. Just like anywhere else. Now that I have actually been to the country, I know that it is a real place and the people there are just like they are in the rest of the world... Quote iPod Most Played List The Power Of Love (several versions) - Céline DionThe First Time Ever I Saw Your Face - Roberta FlackSi dieu existe - Céline Dion & Claude DuBoisFrankenstein - Antony & the JohnsonsIn Some Small Way - Céline DionBird Gerhl - Antony & the JohnsonsLe blues du businessman - Céline Dion Ne rien savoir de Lol était la connaître déjà.
Elaine Posted March 23, 2008 at 01:27 AM Posted March 23, 2008 at 01:27 AM I wouldn't exactly say we want to police the world, but we definately want to help. Maybe our intentions go misinterpreted, but we don't want to harm anyone.I think most countries don't like the kind of "help" US goverment give them. Most "helps" are like I give you money, you give me oil. I give you money, let me put my army in your country. I destroy your country by war, cause people there are not "free". I think most of them think, no thanks, I don't want any "help", just leave me alone. Yeah, and to complement "Give me the amazon forest. If you don't we'll take over it anyway" No, seriously, I used to have a very bad image of Americans. I've always wanted to know the American culture more closely, but at the same time I had lots of prejudice! I really thought they thought there were only them in the world and etc. Well, when Vegas came to my life last year, I was able to be in contact with people from some places in the US: Vegas, New York, California... And something I really learned with this people is that we can't just think the country as a whole. Some people are indeed stupid and selfish, but as this californian guy told me "Everyone's got the heart when you get to know them" I really enjoyed my time there, and I was really surprised when people helped me when I got lost, or gave me information when I needed or just said good morning while walking on the street. I found people there really nice! However, I've already experienced some things that made me see that not everyone was that kind. It may be silly, but as much as I think my country is lost, I still love it and would defend it if needed, so I hate it when people say bad things about it or about us. When LOST premiered in February, I was awake trying to find a way to see it live through the Internet, and I found a website, where someone was recording it and broadcasting it into the net. There was a chat room beside the screen, and I could see most of the people there were Brazilians, and the other few were Americans. They started calling us Mexicans. It was then that I wondered "Don't they have the brains to know that we don't even speak Spanish? It would be less disappointing if at least we spoke the same language, but we speak a different one and we have a different culture" And there was also a point when I got really disappointed when I saw here in this right forum people answering rudely to others just because these others were extremely sad because Céline wouldn't come to our country... What I really believe now is that everywhere you go, you'll find good people, and bad people. There's 50% of good and 50% of bad ones. If politics makes the US gain this fame we all know, that's not people's fault. Quote http://img807.imageshack.us/img807/1352/opo3.jpg
Bell Posted March 23, 2008 at 04:13 PM Posted March 23, 2008 at 04:13 PM The only thing I don't like about the USA is the statement that it is the greatest/most powerful country in the world. But I don't hate Americans at all. I don't actually know a single American but I guess they are really nice people. I even would like to live in America...maybe somewhere in Florida. Quote 16 YEARS A FORUM MEMBER
Nat27 Posted March 23, 2008 at 04:29 PM Posted March 23, 2008 at 04:29 PM One thing I can say about America, and I know this for absolute certain.......they truly dont have the best singer in the world.. Quote http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg55/Nat2728/Drawing1.jpg http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg55/Nat2728/50085.jpg
Elaine Posted March 23, 2008 at 06:12 PM Posted March 23, 2008 at 06:12 PM One thing I can say about America, and I know this for absolute certain.......they truly dont have the best singer in the world.. Yeah! That's true! Quote http://img807.imageshack.us/img807/1352/opo3.jpg
Jeffieboi Posted March 23, 2008 at 06:46 PM Author Posted March 23, 2008 at 06:46 PM One thing I can say about America, and I know this for absolute certain.......they truly dont have the best singer in the world.. I agree, lol. That's why I'm glad I'm part French Canadian, hehe. On a different note, people have been asking why Bush was elected into office. Well here's the thing...even though Gore won the popular vote, a president isn't elected based on the number of individual votes...it's an electoral college system. Im' not gonna get into the details about it. Also, you don't really know what a candidate is gonna be like until they're actually in office. I guess some people liked what they saw at first, but that's what a candidate does before they're elected. Also, Jeb Bush (his brother) allegedly did something with the ballots in Florida. I know Bush only won because of foul play. Otherwise Gore would have been president. Ugh, I get so mad thinking about it. The second time around...when Bush ran against John Kerry well, I guess the competition wasn't very good. I think a lot of American's are seriously kicking themselves now though. But trust me, after this election...there's gonna be a lot of change. I'm pretty sure a democrat is gonna win this time, and usually democrats are more liberal than republicans. I'm also happy to say that this year, out of the 3 possible candidates...they're all educated unless Bush who is a blubbering idiot. Quote
CelineAndRene Posted March 23, 2008 at 09:19 PM Posted March 23, 2008 at 09:19 PM But those decisions are not made by a small group of people, there're many many supporters. US is a liberty country after all. Now you're saying everything is decided by one person or a small group. That's not true. I do know there're many Americans hate Bush, hate war. But I really doubt it's over 50% in US. Hmmm.. i wouldn't be to sure about that... Even in small groups of restaurants u go to, u overhear all the talk of it... who knows... Quote "...It's the circle of life. You gotta look forward. Two days during the year there's nothing you can do about: yesterday and tomorrow. Today is a great day." - Celine Dion, People.
MTJ Posted March 24, 2008 at 11:32 PM Posted March 24, 2008 at 11:32 PM I don't know how I feel right now. I live in the US so maybe I shouldn't be feeding into this topic, but I realized today that Bush is a really great guy. He's kind of dumb, and unorganized. But he's really loyal and he has a huge heart, which are important to have in a leader. Logic is also important, and he doesn't have that. I wouldn't mind if Hillary was elected (I dont think she will, because all of the South hates her because she didn't divorce Bill after the affair) but I would prefer Obama, just because he seems to have a fresh view. Anyway, Bush seems to have done some good for people in the world (Iraq) but he's ruined the world economy and the global market. so...yeah, his bad. Quote
Jeffieboi Posted March 24, 2008 at 11:35 PM Author Posted March 24, 2008 at 11:35 PM I don't know how I feel right now. I live in the US so maybe I shouldn't be feeding into this topic, but I realized today that Bush is a really great guy. He's kind of dumb, and unorganized. But he's really loyal and he has a huge heart, which are important to have in a leader. Logic is also important, and he doesn't have that. I wouldn't mind if Hillary was elected (I dont think she will, because all of the South hates her because she didn't divorce Bill after the affair) but I would prefer Obama, just because he seems to have a fresh view. Anyway, Bush seems to have done some good for people in the world (Iraq) but he's ruined the world economy and the global market. so...yeah, his bad. I don't know how you can think he's a good person. He cares about no one but himself. The whole reason he went to Iraq in the first place is to finish what his father started. Everything he's ever done as been for selfish reasons. Quote
MTJ Posted March 24, 2008 at 11:36 PM Posted March 24, 2008 at 11:36 PM The second time around...when Bush ran against John Kerry well, I guess the competition wasn't very good. I think a lot of American's are seriously kicking themselves now though. But trust me, after this election...there's gonna be a lot of change. I'm pretty sure a democrat is gonna win this time, and usually democrats are more liberal than republicans. I'm also happy to say that this year, out of the 3 possible candidates...they're all educated unless Bush who is a blubbering idiot. I dunno, I'm worried, because granted I don't know the innated details of the electoral system, Mcain seems to be gaining speed, and Clinton and Obama are neck-in-neck. So maybe democrats will get so caught up between the two that a republican will win? I hope not though. Quote
Bellamy Posted March 25, 2008 at 12:34 AM Posted March 25, 2008 at 12:34 AM Anyway, Bush seems to have done some good for people in the world (Iraq) but he's ruined the world economy and the global market. so...yeah, his bad.Sorry, Bush didn't do anything good for people in the world (Iraq). Quote Please support the forum by ordering everything through our special Amazon.com link Click here. Thank you!
CelineAndRene Posted March 25, 2008 at 12:40 AM Posted March 25, 2008 at 12:40 AM Anyway, Bush seems to have done some good for people in the world (Iraq) but he's ruined the world economy and the global market. so...yeah, his bad.Sorry, Bush didn't do anything good for people in the world (Iraq). Agreed. Quote "...It's the circle of life. You gotta look forward. Two days during the year there's nothing you can do about: yesterday and tomorrow. Today is a great day." - Celine Dion, People.
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.