Jump to content

Non-fan Perceptions of Celine


Recommended Posts

Posted
I feel so proud. I've sucked several of my friends into my Celine vortex. Deep within it. Now they're big fans. :giggle:

I'm still working to reel in more of them! :D

Get them on this board, and they'll become more Celine fanatic. :D

Please support the forum by ordering everything through our special Amazon.com link

Click here. Thank you!

Posted

http://blogs.telecinco.es/abordaje/post/20...cia-casa-blanca

 

in this page you can find an article posted in a Spanish TV's web...it says that Celine is one of the Canadian people most hated in the world , even a long,long time ago... :cry:

 

Sometimes I'm not very proud of being Spanish,over all in these cases... :wacko:

"No matter where you are, reach for your own star to realize the power of the dream"

 

From miss Céline Dion to the world those with a will to listen, and not just hear

Posted
Some people told me that Celine's voice is noisy & she sings like she's screaming! How can they think like that ? :wacko:
Posted (edited)
Some people told me that Celine's voice is noisy & she sings like she's screaming! How can they think like that ?

 

I've got no idea!

Edited by celinedrop

**How did you know that I would play the part?

I must have I made it clear right from the start**

Posted
In the past, I used to care pretty much about non-fan's opinion about her. Now I simply don't give it a damn! B) I know that there are some people out there who don't like her, but that doesn't have anything to do with me. It's their opinion, their problem. I'm very pleased with Celine and I don't need anyone else to make me feel that way. Celine's just enough! :P

**How did you know that I would play the part?

I must have I made it clear right from the start**

Posted

I've had people like and hate Celine. One thing that I always say is that you can't deny that woman has a talent. Actually one time my college professor just didn't like Celine and said she was a bad mother. Myself and this other girl in my class actually challenged her on that and she seemed a little embarresed and surprised that people stuck up for Celine. Seriously, who is she to judge her parenting skills. She doesn't live with her. She then admitted that she just didn't like Celine period for no particular reason, she just didn't like her. Whatever floats her boat I guess. Some people are just like that.

 

But I have met soooo many people who don't listen to her music but have a lot of respect for her, because the woman has just had so much success and you have to admire that.

Posted
I think most of us have run into the typical reactions from non-Celine fans. I just hate it because they have to be so vocal about their dislike of her. Once I worked with this guy that just went crazy if you mentioned Celine. He was so negative about her music, etc. The thing that made me happy was that I was expecting the other people around him to agree but a few of them said things like "Oh, I like her, I have a CD of hers." The thing is with her personality and ballads (especially MHWGO) she's an easy target for comedians, talk show hosts, etc. But like someone just mentioned, look at the numbers. Look at how many albums and tickets she's sold all over the world. I think there are a lot of "closet" fans that are afraid to admit they actually like her. :msn-tongue:

 

Exactly! some people are just sheep. And because Celine is an easy target for comedians, talk show hosts etc, people use those opinions to judge Celine. I think a lot of people say they hate Celine but have no reason why they hate her. Fair enough if her music doesn't appeal to some, but some people are so rude about it. For some people it's just "cool" to dislike Celine. It's so annoying, lol.

Posted
Some people I know always say that Céline is bulimic and ugly, that she got her nose done and that she screams too much when she sings. They can't stand her high notes. And they say that Céline only married René because she couldn't find another man. That sounds bad!! i thiunk I have to watch out for some new friends :rolleyes:
Posted
There's no way Celine had a nose job....that would sacrifice the sound of her voice!
Posted
Many people make fun of me when they see my teamceine card in my wallet , many others non fans text me or call me every time they see her on TV , or if they know she is going to be singing somewhere they call to tell me (like I am not aware what Celine is doing :doh: ) Some people think im crazy for going to Vegas so many times a year to see her so I tell them about Ramona and they stop messing with me right away :mdr: .

 

My dentist cannot listen to one of her songs she says , one time we went to lunch and while driving she asked me to please play something else cause she cannot stand Celines voice. Weird!

 

My best friend likes her now after I took him to Las Vegas show. He thinks Celine has one of the greatest voices of all times. But he is a not a big fan.

Many people are not big with her style, dancing and face expressions , many say she is really dramatic and not pretty.

 

A few times I've gotten really upset with people when they express dislike towards Celine is a rude way.

For example:

There was one time I was at a restaurant ,it was the day after the Grammy's when Celine sang DWMF and all these ladies seating next to our table were talking so loud , one of them said: Hey girls did you guys see Celine Dion last night at the Grammy's? Of course my ears were on them, so she continued saying : OMG isn't she the ugliest girl in the world? her face is so ugly and her hair is not cute, some of the girls agreed with her but others said that at least she has a great voice. I wanted to kill that girl who commented about her, but I held myself and kept on eating.

 

My friend is a good singer , one time we were at a karaoke bar and I asked her to sing a Celine song, the DJ heard me and said out loud thru the mic 'Celine Dion? that is soo 1997 please pick something else , otherwise ill ask you to leave the bar and take ur boring #ss music taste someplace else, or course I left right away and never came back :evil: . I was so mad that I wanted to cry. Even though he pretended to be joking , I could sense hate on his voice.

 

In life there's always things we do not like about others , what we can do is to learn how to deal with them and respect them. I don't expect the whole world to like her , but at least to respect us who like her and to respect her numbers and great talent. That's all. :thumbsup2:

 

What's DWMF? I've been trying to work it out for ages, and it's starting to annoy me now, that I can't figure it out!!!

 

All of my friends ring me or text me to let me know if Céline's going to be on TV - They're not Céline fans, but they know everything she's up to, when I don't!

 

I've never really heard anyone badmouth her that badly - I think most people I know can appreciate her talent, even if they don't think she's the prettiest person in the world.

 

I think it's a fashion almost, to not like Céline, but I wonder how many people who say they hate Céline actually have a record of hers - she wouldn't be where she is today, if everyone who says they do, hates her.

Posted (edited)
I have only positive reactions from non-fans about Celine. My two friends listen totally different type of music (Nick Cave, Nirvana, Massive Attack, Air...) and they are really harsh about singers they don't like, but I've never heard them say anything bad about Celine, and it's not just cause they know I like her, they say they don't like that kind of music but they respect her cause of her voice and everything she has done in her career. At college I've become great friend with two people when we accidently discovered that we all LOOOOOVE Celine. Than there's one friend who kinda liked her but only knew one or two songs but then became huge fan after hearing couple of albums. And just yesterday I was talking to my best friend through skype (I have recently made him compilation of various artists and songs and only one of Celine, A cause) and he said that he listened A cause three times in a row at full volume and he LOVES it, and he's not Celine fan but likes some songs. And about other people, when I was in high school and bought Let's talk about love, half of the class asked me to borrow it. So, I guess I was lucky to find people who didn't have bad perception about her but I'm aware that alot of people do. Edited by Kian
Posted (edited)
What's DWMF? I've been trying to work it out for ages, and it's starting to annoy me now, that I can't figure it out!!!

 

Dance With My Father. Celine performed it at the 2004 Grammys right after Luther Vandross suffered a stroke, and Celine's father had just died. The audio people really messed up, and you can see the techinal difficulties. Here's the video! In the book For Keeps, the author said Celine doesn't talk about this performance.

Edited by smw
Posted
What's DWMF? I've been trying to work it out for ages, and it's starting to annoy me now, that I can't figure it out!!!

 

Dance With My Father. Celine performed it at the 2004 Grammys right after Luther Vandross suffered a stroke, and Celine's father had just died. The audio people really messed up, and you can see the techinal difficulties. Here's the video! In the book For Keeps, the author said Celine doesn't talk about this performance.

 

Ahhh, okay.

 

That's so cruel - I can't believe audio people can get it wrong sometimes. I remember watching a charity event on TV, and there was a woman singing, and the sound kept going. It was appalling to watch, and it must have been so embarrassing for her. I mean, performers' reputations are in the hands of the technicians, really.

Posted

I know for sure there are millions and millions of Celine fans out there. Some people just don't admit it or say anything about it. Some are expressive, like us on the forum, and others tend to feel insecure about it. Those who feel insecure about it are usually younger folks in the age range of 8-18, where they think liking things others don't particularily like is social suicide, which we all know is not true. :shrug:

 

 

 

It's a fact! My boss never told me she liked Céline or listened to her music.. But from times to times she tells me something about Céline that even I didn't know or she suggests things that would usually come from me, like making our students sing BYLM for their mothers near mother's day... And when she said she followed Céline's pregnancy I was like "OMG, she's a Céline fan" :giggle:

 

Basically everyone i know dislikes Celine. They of course love My heart will go on, but it stops there. And of the people i find who like her, none are guys, unless they are gay! Although one of my mates hates all her stuff except I Surrender, which makes me think it should totally be released as a single if a complete non-fan, like he is, loves it.

 

It's the opposite around here... People have a tendency to hate MHWGO because it played so much on the radios by the time Titanic was in the movies, that nowadays if you mention this song near anyone they'll say something like "You don't really listen to this, do you?"

My French teacher told me once that he respected my taste and he that he thinks Céline's songs are great for learning French because she speaks crystal clear, but he doesn't like her exactly because of MHWGO, although he doesn't speak English and knows only her French songs...

 

My opinion is that people heard it too much and they kind of blocked themselves to anything related to Céline, even if they don't know anything but this song... And that's really sad.. They don't know what they're missing!

 

Most of the people I know don't like Celine at all, it's the usual 'oh shes horse' faced, or 'shes skinny and lanky with a long face and chin' and 'Shes BORING'. OMG the arguments I have with people and in fact a couple of weeks ago one of my friends thought that Celine was much OLDER than Madonna :rant:

And someone thought that MHWGO was her only hit, likes she some kind of one hit wonder aaaahhh this makes me so angry :angry2:

 

This also gets me angry! One of my students saw her at the oscars and asked me how old she was.. When I said she was about to turn 39 he was surprised, and let it out he thought she was much older.. That day I was really angry at his comment!

 

My family and friends never say anything negative about Céline. I guess they sometimes think my obsession with her goes a bit too far :laugh: but they never tease me or anything, which is great. ^_^ Some of my relatives don't even know who Céline Dion is! :o :blink: :blink: :blink: Then there are those who can't stand Céline and say things like she's got huge nose, her music sucks, she's just screaming etc. Those people do have the right to dislike Céline but they should voice their opinion without hurting us fans. :angry2: Many people are so mean! That's why I think twice before I tell anyone I'm a Céline fan.

 

Here my family says they don't like her, but there are some things I'll always remember:

 

- The day I bought Falling into you and my father listened to this song and fell so much in love that he asked me to put it again when it was over

- My sister letting out that she likes "Call the man" and swears she never said that!

- My mom listening to some of my Céline's cds one of the days I had gotten earlier off school. When she saw my surprise face she looked at me and said "Well, the cds were there, I turned the radio on and it started playing, so I decided to let them there" :laugh:

 

About people not knowing her, I've had an experience like that this year... It was really funny, in fact... I was chatting with a college colleague at MSN and he was telling me about his girlfriend and etc, and said that he liked her but it was not love, but he thought it was great anyway.. And then I said "Like Céline would say : The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return"

The next day my friend came to me and said that this coleague had told him about the conversation and that he thought I was in love with him or something, because he simply didn't recognize the name "Celine"... Only when I explained who she was he understood what I was trying to say... That was kind of embarassing, but even so, funny :giggle:

 

 

My friends all respect me because they know the size of my love for her... Sometimes I think I talk too much about her and I think I annoy them, cause they start looking at each other or making gestures when I mention her name... I decided to guide my words not to say too much about her, but sometims I can't help it! And as they know I care about her that much, they don't dare telling me anything bad about her, cause they know I'll fight back with wonderful arguments and they'll see I'm right, so they just give up.

Posted
It does suck that most people only remember Celine singing MHWGO. Come on now. Had to show people that song wasn't the thing she sang to make her great. Til this day my mom still can't be leave that Celine has been around for over 25 years sing her songs. And she would tell people that I have over twenty Celine CDs . well let's make that 26 for now. lol
For the joy of life, My passion for video gaming, and my Love for Celine Dion.
Posted
My parents say o go find another hobby, your to obsessed with her she is just a singer, my brother is like she can't sing, she can't even carry a tune. Plus he says that I have no music taste if any one has non musical taste it's him listening to his heavy music crap. My friends at school are like who is Celine Dion and I'm like who is Celine Dion just the greatest singer ever and there like o i see right. It drives me crazy all the time sometimes I wish I had different parents sometimes they drive me crazy sometimes they gets on me nerves. But they are Okay nothing like my friends parents at all. My teachers are like are you crazy or something you like her i can't stand her she is an awe full singer can't carry a tune for the life of her I just give them a dirty look and get back to my work. :evil: :angry2: :yes:

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...