Bellamy Posted September 15, 2006 at 01:39 AM Posted September 15, 2006 at 01:39 AM Frankly, I think that their should have been a date that things before which would be excluded....like the Great wall of China, isn't really a modern wonder, and the pyramids should have been excluded too, because they aren't the work of modern man, they are centuries old.<{POST_SNAPBACK}>No. It should be the contrary. The modern things like the Sydney Opera House, Statue of Liberty... should be excluded. Cause even they're great, their history and culture meaning can't compare with the older ones. Also even comare with these modern things, the Great wall of China and the Pyramids still are the most amazing wonders in human history. It would be just wrong to exclude them. Quote Please support the forum by ordering everything through our special Amazon.com link Click here. Thank you!
Célinefull Posted September 15, 2006 at 03:20 AM Posted September 15, 2006 at 03:20 AM Frankly, I think that their should have been a date that things before which would be excluded....like the Great wall of China, isn't really a modern wonder, and the pyramids should have been excluded too, because they aren't the work of modern man, they are centuries old.<{POST_SNAPBACK}>No. It should be the contrary. The modern things like the Sydney Opera House, Statue of Liberty... should be excluded. Cause even they're great, their history and culture meaning can't compare with the older ones. Also even comare with these modern things, the Great wall of China and the Pyramids still are the most amazing wonders in human history. It would be just wrong to exclude them.<{POST_SNAPBACK}> Yes but is this a modern greatest wonders, or just a revision of the list, that is what I want to know? Quote http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/7108/ziegfieldgirlbanner.jpg
Bellamy Posted September 15, 2006 at 04:14 AM Posted September 15, 2006 at 04:14 AM revision of the list. they include wonders no matter it's ancient or modern in the list. Quote Please support the forum by ordering everything through our special Amazon.com link Click here. Thank you!
catwomanrrr Posted September 15, 2006 at 04:34 AM Author Posted September 15, 2006 at 04:34 AM (edited) I am strongly cheering and supporting Angkor and the Great Wall of China. The Great Wall of China stretches 3,948 miles and took 2000 years to build. Imagine trying to be Forrest Gump and running THAT length! For Angkor, one may only recognize the Angkor Wat temple, which is only ONE major temple out of the 1000 temples, structures, reliefs, monuments left behind by the Angkor civilization in different areas spanning thousands of miles as well. To see these majestic and magnificient structures, one's life would be changed forever. I know when I was at Angkor, I cried. I was moved. One of my goals in life is to be able to visit all of these great historical wonders of our world.I hope that I will have the opportunity in this lifetime. Edited September 15, 2006 at 04:35 AM by Joy Quote http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n28/rhymereason/dreambig.jpg
Bellamy Posted September 15, 2006 at 05:06 AM Posted September 15, 2006 at 05:06 AM 3,948 miles(6,350 kilometer) is only the main line of the Great Wall(bulit in Ming Dynasty). Add up all sub-branches of all time it would be over 100,000 Kilometer long. Quote Please support the forum by ordering everything through our special Amazon.com link Click here. Thank you!
Célinefull Posted September 15, 2006 at 05:57 AM Posted September 15, 2006 at 05:57 AM was the wall around when the first list was made? Quote http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/7108/ziegfieldgirlbanner.jpg
catwomanrrr Posted September 15, 2006 at 06:28 AM Author Posted September 15, 2006 at 06:28 AM (edited) was the wall around when the first list was made?<{POST_SNAPBACK}> Well, I think so! The Great Wall began its construction 100 years before the compilation of the list. Here's a previous post: The amazing thing is the compilation of the list of the Seven Wonders of the World was organized by Philon of Byzantium in 200 B.C., which is what we currently have; known as the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World: Great Pyramid of GizaHanging Gardens of Babylon Temple of Artemis at EphesusStatue of Zeus at OlympiaMausoleum of Maussollos at HalicarnassusearthquakeColossus of RhodesLighthouse of Alexandria and through the years, different people and organizations have proposed different wonders of the world, such as natural world, medieval world, etc, but were never officially recognized. BUT NOW... TWO THOUSAND, TWO HUNDRED YEARS LATER... The United Nations has endorsed a worldwide effort of selecting the NEW Seven World Wonders! In 2005, people around the world sent in their nominations. At the end of 2005, 77 were rounded up as semi-finalists. Then, 21 finalists were chosen. That's what you see in the blue list in my first post. NOW, we hold the power to choose the New 7 Wonders of Our World. <{POST_SNAPBACK}> Edited September 15, 2006 at 06:29 AM by Joy Quote http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n28/rhymereason/dreambig.jpg
Bellamy Posted September 15, 2006 at 07:06 AM Posted September 15, 2006 at 07:06 AM was the wall around when the first list was made?<{POST_SNAPBACK}>yes. but the list maker doesn't know about China, not to mention GW.Well, I think so! The Great Wall began its construction 100 years before the compilation of the list.<{POST_SNAPBACK}>220 B.C. is the official GW started building date. It refers to the Qin Dynasty GW. but acutally there're many smaller walls made much earlier than that. Most of the work of the Qin Dynasty GW is to join them together as one super long wall. So the wall exists even much earlier than that. Quote Please support the forum by ordering everything through our special Amazon.com link Click here. Thank you!
Célinefull Posted September 16, 2006 at 09:44 AM Posted September 16, 2006 at 09:44 AM was the wall around when the first list was made?<{POST_SNAPBACK}>yes. but the list maker doesn't know about China, not to mention GW.Well, I think so! The Great Wall began its construction 100 years before the compilation of the list.<{POST_SNAPBACK}>220 B.C. is the official GW started building date. It refers to the Qin Dynasty GW. but acutally there're many smaller walls made much earlier than that. Most of the work of the Qin Dynasty GW is to join them together as one super long wall. So the wall exists even much earlier than that.<{POST_SNAPBACK}> It's rather fascinating, isn't it? I'm sure that GW will make the list, how could it not? Quote http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/7108/ziegfieldgirlbanner.jpg
mazceline Posted September 16, 2006 at 10:43 AM Posted September 16, 2006 at 10:43 AM Quote http://i16.tinypic.com/7yg8tv8.jpgSignature made by the webmiss of www.celinerific.comCeline is in 2 words MY ANGEL x x
Bellamy Posted September 16, 2006 at 10:57 AM Posted September 16, 2006 at 10:57 AM <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I know you're only interested to sexy women. Quote Please support the forum by ordering everything through our special Amazon.com link Click here. Thank you!
Céline's Blues Posted September 16, 2006 at 11:02 AM Posted September 16, 2006 at 11:02 AM Célinefull hates me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Célinefull hates me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Célinefull hates me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Célinefull hates me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Célinefull hates me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Célinefull hates me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Célinefull hates me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Célinefull hates me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Célinefull hates me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Célinefull hates me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Célinefull hates me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Célinefull hates me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Célinefull hates me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Célinefull hates me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyway The Sydney Opera house as one of the enw Seven World wonders is as mucha joke as all the other modern culture "wonders". Stonehenge is arguable, yes, but I think by including the Eiffel Tower and the Statue Of Liberty somebody wants to build up his/her country's ego. Quote http://i.imgur.com/dmreJ.jpg
Célinefull Posted September 16, 2006 at 11:08 AM Posted September 16, 2006 at 11:08 AM As if the list isn't a giant popularity contest anyway! Quote http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/7108/ziegfieldgirlbanner.jpg
ZoraSourit Posted September 17, 2006 at 10:30 AM Posted September 17, 2006 at 10:30 AM I think that Christ Redeemer in Rio, Brazil has to be considered a world wonder. I've been there last year and everything there is amazing. The statue looks imponent but the most amazing think about it it's the location and the view you see when you're there. I can't even translate it to words... It's trully magnificient. Quote http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/zorasourit/2.jpgAntwerp ~ Paris ~ Dublin ~ Amsterdam ~ Berlim ~ Milan ~ ArrasSome people need no slogans or presentations. And that was a wrap, folks!
Mozinha Posted September 17, 2006 at 11:00 AM Posted September 17, 2006 at 11:00 AM I have a fascination for the Great Wall of China. That's so amazing. I read somewhere (don't know if it's true) that you can see it from outside the Earth (from space) and that's something. The whole chinese culture is fascinating to me. I wish I had the time to sit and study about it. Maybe latter in life I really want to learn more about it. I know very little but it all sounds fascinating and beautiful. (At least when it comes to chinese gymnasts I'm an expert LOL Xiao Sha and Li Shanshan ROCK!) Quote http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/welovecelinedion/howcute5gv2.jpghttp://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10501;104/st/20080413/e/my+graduation/dt/4/k/f5ff/event.png "And really - isn't NOT caring about what others think of you the hallmark of a cool person?"
Clari Posted September 17, 2006 at 12:00 PM Posted September 17, 2006 at 12:00 PM The Great Wall How could they forget my work!! <{POST_SNAPBACK}> Quote http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/CelineSmiles/hamster.gif CLARiSSA Xxx... "Music touches every sense. It can move you to tears, bring joy to your heart, stir sexual passion, evoke memories, and prompt physical responses of all kinds." -Benoît Jutras
Bellamy Posted September 17, 2006 at 12:24 PM Posted September 17, 2006 at 12:24 PM I have a fascination for the Great Wall of China. That's so amazing. I read somewhere (don't know if it's true) that you can see it from outside the Earth (from space) and that's something. The whole chinese culture is fascinating to me. I wish I had the time to sit and study about it. Maybe latter in life I really want to learn more about it. I know very little but it all sounds fascinating and beautiful. (At least when it comes to chinese gymnasts I'm an expert LOL Xiao Sha and Li Shanshan ROCK!)<{POST_SNAPBACK}>It's true. Don't hesitate to ask me any question about China. Quote Please support the forum by ordering everything through our special Amazon.com link Click here. Thank you!
Célinefull Posted September 19, 2006 at 11:23 AM Posted September 19, 2006 at 11:23 AM I have a fascination for the Great Wall of China. That's so amazing. I read somewhere (don't know if it's true) that you can see it from outside the Earth (from space) and that's something. The whole chinese culture is fascinating to me. I wish I had the time to sit and study about it. Maybe latter in life I really want to learn more about it. I know very little but it all sounds fascinating and beautiful. (At least when it comes to chinese gymnasts I'm an expert LOL Xiao Sha and Li Shanshan ROCK!)<{POST_SNAPBACK}>It's true. Don't hesitate to ask me any question about China. <{POST_SNAPBACK}> lol, I wish I had that enthuisasm for Australia. Quote http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/7108/ziegfieldgirlbanner.jpg
dory Posted February 10, 2007 at 10:40 PM Posted February 10, 2007 at 10:40 PM i think this will take place in lisbon or i'm worng? Quote
Scully Dion Posted February 11, 2007 at 12:44 PM Posted February 11, 2007 at 12:44 PM has anything been decided yet? before i saw this post i had always planned to make up my own list of world wonders (seeing as the ancient ones no longer exist) and visit them all. but to make a definitive list is very difficult - so many choices!! Quote www.celinelasvegas.comCeline Dion and Las Vegas Travel Guide - follow me on twitter @celinelasvegas
ZoraSourit Posted February 11, 2007 at 03:26 PM Posted February 11, 2007 at 03:26 PM The announcement of the new 7 world wonders will take place in Lisbon, Portugal, on July 7th 2007. Quote http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/zorasourit/2.jpgAntwerp ~ Paris ~ Dublin ~ Amsterdam ~ Berlim ~ Milan ~ ArrasSome people need no slogans or presentations. And that was a wrap, folks!
Elaine Posted February 20, 2007 at 07:39 PM Posted February 20, 2007 at 07:39 PM The announcement of the new 7 world wonders will take place in Lisbon, Portugal, on July 7th 2007.<{POST_SNAPBACK}> In the day of my birthday!!!!! Quote http://img807.imageshack.us/img807/1352/opo3.jpg
ZoraSourit Posted July 7, 2007 at 10:49 PM Posted July 7, 2007 at 10:49 PM The 7 New World Wonders: - The Great Wall of China - Petra (Jordan) - Christ Redemeer (Brazil) - Machu Picchu (Peru) - The pyramid of Chichen Itzá (Mexico) - The Roman Colosseum (Italy) - Taj Mahl (India) Congrats to all the winners! And to the nominees also! Like they've said over and over again tonight: Our Heritage is our future. BTW, Amazing show Portugal (let's not forget to avoid inviting Chaka Khan to future events.... terrible). Quote http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/zorasourit/2.jpgAntwerp ~ Paris ~ Dublin ~ Amsterdam ~ Berlim ~ Milan ~ ArrasSome people need no slogans or presentations. And that was a wrap, folks!
Mozinha Posted July 8, 2007 at 12:14 AM Posted July 8, 2007 at 12:14 AM I missed the show but I'm very happy for the wise choices. YAY for the Great Wall of China!!! Quote http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/welovecelinedion/howcute5gv2.jpghttp://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10501;104/st/20080413/e/my+graduation/dt/4/k/f5ff/event.png "And really - isn't NOT caring about what others think of you the hallmark of a cool person?"
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.