Jump to content

New Seven World Wonders


Recommended Posts

Posted
Frankly, I think that their should have been a date that things before which would be excluded....like the Great wall of China, isn't really a modern wonder, and the pyramids should have been excluded too, because they aren't the work of modern man, they are centuries old.

No. It should be the contrary. The modern things like the Sydney Opera House, Statue of Liberty... should be excluded. Cause even they're great, their history and culture meaning can't compare with the older ones. Also even comare with these modern things, the Great wall of China and the Pyramids still are the most amazing wonders in human history. It would be just wrong to exclude them.

Please support the forum by ordering everything through our special Amazon.com link

Click here. Thank you!

Posted
Frankly, I think that their should have been a date that things before which would be excluded....like the Great wall of China, isn't really a modern wonder, and the pyramids should have been excluded too, because they aren't the work of modern man, they are centuries old.

No. It should be the contrary. The modern things like the Sydney Opera House, Statue of Liberty... should be excluded. Cause even they're great, their history and culture meaning can't compare with the older ones. Also even comare with these modern things, the Great wall of China and the Pyramids still are the most amazing wonders in human history. It would be just wrong to exclude them.

 

Yes but is this a modern greatest wonders, or just a revision of the list, that is what I want to know?

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/7108/ziegfieldgirlbanner.jpg

 

Posted
revision of the list. they include wonders no matter it's ancient or modern in the list.

Please support the forum by ordering everything through our special Amazon.com link

Click here. Thank you!

Posted (edited)

I am strongly cheering and supporting Angkor and the Great Wall of China.

 

The Great Wall of China stretches 3,948 miles and took 2000 years to build. Imagine trying to be Forrest Gump and running THAT length! For Angkor, one may only recognize the Angkor Wat temple, which is only ONE major temple out of the 1000 temples, structures, reliefs, monuments left behind by the Angkor civilization in different areas spanning thousands of miles as well.

 

To see these majestic and magnificient structures, one's life would be changed forever. I know when I was at Angkor, I cried. I was moved.

 

One of my goals in life is to be able to visit all of these great historical wonders of our world.

I hope that I will have the opportunity in this lifetime.

Edited by Joy
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n28/rhymereason/dreambig.jpg
Posted
3,948 miles(6,350 kilometer) is only the main line of the Great Wall(bulit in Ming Dynasty). Add up all sub-branches of all time it would be over 100,000 Kilometer long.

Please support the forum by ordering everything through our special Amazon.com link

Click here. Thank you!

Posted
was the wall around when the first list was made?

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/7108/ziegfieldgirlbanner.jpg

 

Posted (edited)
was the wall around when the first list was made?

 

Well, I think so! The Great Wall began its construction 100 years before the compilation of the list.

 

Here's a previous post:

 

The amazing thing is the compilation of the list of the Seven Wonders of the World was organized by Philon of Byzantium in 200 B.C., which is what we currently have; known as the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World:

 

Great Pyramid of Giza

Hanging Gardens of Babylon

Temple of Artemis at Ephesus

Statue of Zeus at Olympia

Mausoleum of Maussollos at Halicarnassusearthquake

Colossus of Rhodes

Lighthouse of Alexandria

 

 

and through the years, different people and organizations have proposed different wonders of the world, such as natural world, medieval world, etc, but were never officially recognized.

 

BUT NOW... TWO THOUSAND, TWO HUNDRED YEARS LATER...

 

The United Nations has endorsed a worldwide effort of selecting the NEW Seven World Wonders!

 

In 2005, people around the world sent in their nominations. At the end of 2005, 77 were rounded up as semi-finalists. Then, 21 finalists were chosen. That's what you see in the blue list in my first post. NOW, we hold the power to choose the New 7 Wonders of Our World. :)

Edited by Joy
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n28/rhymereason/dreambig.jpg
Posted
was the wall around when the first list was made?

yes. but the list maker doesn't know about China, not to mention GW.

Well, I think so! The Great Wall began its construction 100 years before the compilation of the list.

220 B.C. is the official GW started building date. It refers to the Qin Dynasty GW. but acutally there're many smaller walls made much earlier than that. Most of the work of the Qin Dynasty GW is to join them together as one super long wall. So the wall exists even much earlier than that.

Please support the forum by ordering everything through our special Amazon.com link

Click here. Thank you!

Posted
was the wall around when the first list was made?

yes. but the list maker doesn't know about China, not to mention GW.

Well, I think so! The Great Wall began its construction 100 years before the compilation of the list.

220 B.C. is the official GW started building date. It refers to the Qin Dynasty GW. but acutally there're many smaller walls made much earlier than that. Most of the work of the Qin Dynasty GW is to join them together as one super long wall. So the wall exists even much earlier than that.

 

It's rather fascinating, isn't it? I'm sure that GW will make the list, how could it not?

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/7108/ziegfieldgirlbanner.jpg

 

Posted

Célinefull hates me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Célinefull hates me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Célinefull hates me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Célinefull hates me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Célinefull hates me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Célinefull hates me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Célinefull hates me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Célinefull hates me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Célinefull hates me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Célinefull hates me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Célinefull hates me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Célinefull hates me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Célinefull hates me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Célinefull hates me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

 

:mdr: :lmao:

 

Anyway The Sydney Opera house as one of the enw Seven World wonders is as mucha joke as all the other modern culture "wonders". Stonehenge is arguable, yes, but I think by including the Eiffel Tower and the Statue Of Liberty somebody wants to build up his/her country's ego.

http://i.imgur.com/dmreJ.jpg

Posted
As if the list isn't a giant popularity contest anyway!

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/7108/ziegfieldgirlbanner.jpg

 

Posted
I think that Christ Redeemer in Rio, Brazil has to be considered a world wonder. I've been there last year and everything there is amazing. The statue looks imponent but the most amazing think about it it's the location and the view you see when you're there. I can't even translate it to words... It's trully magnificient.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/zorasourit/2.jpg

Antwerp ~ Paris ~ Dublin ~ Amsterdam ~ Berlim ~ Milan ~ Arras

Some people need no slogans or presentations.

 

 

 

And that was a wrap, folks!

Posted

I have a fascination for the Great Wall of China. That's so amazing. I read somewhere (don't know if it's true) that you can see it from outside the Earth (from space) and that's something.

 

The whole chinese culture is fascinating to me. I wish I had the time to sit and study about it. Maybe latter in life I really want to learn more about it. I know very little but it all sounds fascinating and beautiful. (At least when it comes to chinese gymnasts I'm an expert LOL Xiao Sha and Li Shanshan ROCK!)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/welovecelinedion/howcute5gv2.jpg

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10501;104/st/20080413/e/my+graduation/dt/4/k/f5ff/event.png

 

"And really - isn't NOT caring about what others think of you the hallmark of a cool person?"

Posted

The Great Wall ^_^

 

 

How could they forget my work!! :(

:( :(

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/CelineSmiles/hamster.gif CLARiSSA Xxx...

"Music touches every sense. It can move you to tears, bring joy to your heart, stir sexual passion, evoke memories, and prompt physical responses of all kinds." -Benoît Jutras

Posted
I have a fascination for the Great Wall of China. That's so amazing. I read somewhere (don't know if it's true) that you can see it from outside the Earth (from space) and that's something.

 

The whole chinese culture is fascinating to me. I wish I had the time to sit and study about it. Maybe latter in life I really want to learn more about it. I know very little but it all sounds fascinating and beautiful. (At least when it comes to chinese gymnasts I'm an expert LOL Xiao Sha and Li Shanshan ROCK!)

It's true.

 

Don't hesitate to ask me any question about China. ^_^

Please support the forum by ordering everything through our special Amazon.com link

Click here. Thank you!

Posted
I have a fascination for the Great Wall of China. That's so amazing. I read somewhere (don't know if it's true) that you can see it from outside the Earth (from space) and that's something.

 

The whole chinese culture is fascinating to me. I wish I had the time to sit and study about it. Maybe latter in life I really want to learn more about it. I know very little but it all sounds fascinating and beautiful. (At least when it comes to chinese gymnasts I'm an expert LOL Xiao Sha and Li Shanshan ROCK!)

It's true.

 

Don't hesitate to ask me any question about China. ^_^

 

lol, I wish I had that enthuisasm for Australia.

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/7108/ziegfieldgirlbanner.jpg

 

  • 4 months later...
Posted
has anything been decided yet? before i saw this post i had always planned to make up my own list of world wonders (seeing as the ancient ones no longer exist) and visit them all. but to make a definitive list is very difficult - so many choices!!

www.celinelasvegas.com

Celine Dion and Las Vegas Travel Guide - follow me on twitter @celinelasvegas

Posted
The announcement of the new 7 world wonders will take place in Lisbon, Portugal, on July 7th 2007.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/zorasourit/2.jpg

Antwerp ~ Paris ~ Dublin ~ Amsterdam ~ Berlim ~ Milan ~ Arras

Some people need no slogans or presentations.

 

 

 

And that was a wrap, folks!

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Posted

The 7 New World Wonders:

 

- The Great Wall of China

 

- Petra (Jordan)

 

- Christ Redemeer (Brazil)

 

- Machu Picchu (Peru)

 

- The pyramid of Chichen Itzá (Mexico)

 

- The Roman Colosseum (Italy)

 

- Taj Mahl (India)

 

Congrats to all the winners! And to the nominees also! Like they've said over and over again tonight: Our Heritage is our future.

 

BTW, Amazing show Portugal (let's not forget to avoid inviting Chaka Khan to future events.... terrible).

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/zorasourit/2.jpg

Antwerp ~ Paris ~ Dublin ~ Amsterdam ~ Berlim ~ Milan ~ Arras

Some people need no slogans or presentations.

 

 

 

And that was a wrap, folks!

Posted
I missed the show but I'm very happy for the wise choices. YAY for the Great Wall of China!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/welovecelinedion/howcute5gv2.jpg

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10501;104/st/20080413/e/my+graduation/dt/4/k/f5ff/event.png

 

"And really - isn't NOT caring about what others think of you the hallmark of a cool person?"

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...