Jump to content

Testing fan reactions to jazzy sounds?


Recommended Posts

Posted

Is it only me or Céline&René have been all steadily and successively testing Céline's fan base for something jazzy to come - this would be one of many POSSIBILITIES R&C might have been considering for quite some time now. We have to remember the start of all this: ever since the HUGE positive feedback on the Simplement Marnay Gala in 2003 where everyone was raving and asking René if Céline was to record a jazz album after all these glorious something's been in the air.

 

When you all look at the last 3 years Céline diligently took slow and small steps into the direction of more elegant/sophisticated vocals and sound (Mona Lista OST, Simplement Marnay, The fabulous jazz duet with René Simard). Now this year we will have a duet with a jazz legend Tony Bennett and of course her one of a kind performance on the MDA telethon. I sincerely hope this was the final rehearsal before Céline shows off and jazzes her way through her next album some time in the next two years!

 

Also do you think we should write to celinedion.com and tell them how fabulously amazing Céline was at the telethon so that they know Céline and jazzy sounds have passed the wide-public-test and that we are more than ready for more? :w00t:

http://i.imgur.com/dmreJ.jpg

Posted

'...The fabulous jazz duet with René Simard...'

 

???? WTF

Posted
'...The fabulous jazz duet with René Simard...'

 

???? WTF

She recorded it at 3 am and she sounded amazing! It's called "Quand On S'aime" and featured on his latest album:

 

http://celinedion.t2u.free.fr/images/disco/rshe01.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/dmreJ.jpg

Posted
I think Celine should've done the whole Rene Olstead thing a long time ago with David Foster...interpreting old and new standards...but anyway now since Celine has really proven herself with her beyond capablity of jazzy sounds, she should go all the way with it and write all of the new songs ('if') that she won't cover on her next albumn :whistling: and show everyone that she has more than just a voice but also writing talent
Posted
I completely agree with you siur! I was thinking the exact same thing the other night, thats so weird lol! I definitely think we should send our praise/approval to celinedion.com, I mean, we always bring our critisim to their attention, why not something positive? I think that they would love to hear that we fans love the direction Celine is going in with these jazzy sounds, especially the magnificent Summertime performance! :wub:

. . .Live to Love Celine Dion <3

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i294/xo1hrt4celineox/java05.jpghttp://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i294/xo1hrt4celineox/8839047.png

Posted
a jazz album would be a mistake...i have nothing against jazz songs and nothing against celine recording jazz songs - as part of her next english album YES , but an entire jazz album - NO . sorry - i still want those powerful ballads .
Posted
a jazz album would be a mistake...i have nothing against jazz songs and nothing against celine recording jazz songs - as part of her next english album YES , but an entire jazz album - NO . sorry - i still want those powerful ballads .

 

As you say a jazz album would not be a great idea for her career, one or two jazzy songs on the new album would be so nice but she should try to work in something new, fresh sounds and of course her ballads too... :rolleyes:

http://i48.tinypic.com/2ngfr0p.jpg

Posted (edited)
i'm actually not a jazz fan but ok is celine i'll make an exeption... i loved her voice in the telethon with summertime she was awsome!!!! i like her performance but the song is not one of my favorites (altough is the first time i heard that song...) :P but any song that celine sings even if it jazz she sounds amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap: :kicking: Edited by osinhos

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-WTOLnq_3hiM/T-YMZXaW9JI/AAAAAAAACR4/bCmTbbqNEhY/s400/Celine+Dion+-+Signature+Commercial+Behind+The+Scenes+(23612)+%5BHD%5D.mp4_snapshot_00.20_%5B2012.06.22_00.44.23%5D.jpg

I dOn'T sUfFer FrOm InSaNiTy...I eNjOy EvErY MiNuTe Of iT...

 

Posted

I think they are testing the waters. So far the majority of fans are saying she sounded great.

I'm not too sure if I could take a full album of Celine singing jazz songs, but why not. Come on Rene and Celine, prove me wrong :clap:

(Anything for a new album!)

Posted

I really don't know... what would be my reaction.

Only jazz songs/

 

Isn't it something too "old"/

 

Gee.. I just wanted some ballads...

Any way, bring it on!

http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/1098/power01eq1.jpg
Posted
I think they are testing the waters. So far the majority of fans are saying she sounded great.

I'm not too sure if I could take a full album of Celine singing jazz songs, but why not. Come on Rene and Celine, prove me wrong  :clap:

(Anything for a new album!)

 

 

i'm totally agree rene and Celine prove i'm wrong :D ..maybe i'll be a jazz fan ...for celine i like everything :P

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-WTOLnq_3hiM/T-YMZXaW9JI/AAAAAAAACR4/bCmTbbqNEhY/s400/Celine+Dion+-+Signature+Commercial+Behind+The+Scenes+(23612)+%5BHD%5D.mp4_snapshot_00.20_%5B2012.06.22_00.44.23%5D.jpg

I dOn'T sUfFer FrOm InSaNiTy...I eNjOy EvErY MiNuTe Of iT...

 

Posted

Jazz is never too old, look what X-tina has done with it! I mean, with some songs, I'm like, what if Celine sang it... :wub:

 

Merci bcp for the title of the song, Seb

Posted
I like what Christina has done and Celine needs to keep it fresh- I think I'd top myself if she released an album of "Bewitched B and Bewildered". that would be slated in the media, I have a hunch... :redface:
Posted
Is it only me or Céline&René have been all steadily and successively testing Céline's fan base for something jazzy to come

Also do you think we should write to celinedion.com and tell them how fabulously amazing Céline was at the telethon so that they know Céline and jazzy sounds have passed the wide-public-test and that we are more than ready for more?

 

i was thinking the same thing!! i also posted something to let celinedion.com know how we feel about that performance!!!

 

and i know many more fans who think that Celine and Rene are testing us...

why else is she singing a song that is old, not known by the general public, at why do we all think the same... it al has a reason... :D

Posted

I don't know about a jazz album but definitely a few, maybe on a future release. Why not let her write her own songs, play the piano, and sing - like Norah Jones does :piano: :band: that would be a dream!! :w00t:

 

We should start a campaign or something to let celinedion.com know about our reactions to her masterful performance on the telethon. :yea:

highfive.jpg

Please support the forum by ordering through our Amazon.com referral link below.

Click here to go to the Amazon homepage.

Posted

With the Simplement Marnay Gala and specially with the interviews with Jenna Glatzer for the "For Keeps" biography Celine realised that many of her fans would love to hear her singing jazz. :D

 

With the performance on the MDA telethon on September 3, I think she was testing the "general public" reactions. :D

 

So... It's very possible that her next album will a jazz one. :P And I love the idea!!! :clap:

Posted

Norah Jones put me to sleep everytime. I don't think I ever listened one of her songs until the end. BORING.

Not Céline. I've heard and loved her songs at Simplement Marnay, I loved Quand on s'aime, I absolutely ADORED Summertime. She brings a new life to jazz music. I don't know how to explain. She puts a lot of emotion and her voice is so beautiful, not plain and boring. She breathed life into all the jazzy songs I've heard her sing. I'll be more than thrilled with a jazzy album.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/welovecelinedion/howcute5gv2.jpg

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10501;104/st/20080413/e/my+graduation/dt/4/k/f5ff/event.png

 

"And really - isn't NOT caring about what others think of you the hallmark of a cool person?"

Posted
We should start a campaign or something to let celinedion.com know about our reactions to her masterful performance on the telethon. :yea:

I agree. Firstly I think everyone should just write a shoert note to celinedion.com and let them know what we thought of it and that we would love to Céline to know she's been stellar and her Sony team should know it as well! That is also crucial.

 

Anyhow gogo, in those 25 years you got your piece of cake of soulless robotic singing, now it's only fair that I get my part as well. Part full of sultry, elegant, emotional music. The next 25 years filled with such music would be amazing. :clap:

http://i.imgur.com/dmreJ.jpg

Posted

they're testing the waters ...

 

 

... I'm not really sure if Céline will make a new album, 'cause a AND is being very hard for her ...

 

 

... but ... Céline&Réne ... Come on my boys ... say me: "YOU WERE WRONG!!!" I would love to hear it...

Posted
We should start a campaign or something to let celinedion.com know about our reactions to her masterful performance on the telethon. :yea:

I agree. Firstly I think everyone should just write a shoert note to celinedion.com and let them know what we thought of it and that we would love to Céline to know she's been stellar and her Sony team should know it as well! That is also crucial.

 

Anyhow gogo, in those 25 years you got your piece of cake of soulless robotic singing, now it's only fair that I get my part as well. Part full of sultry, elegant, emotional music. The next 25 years filled with such music would be amazing. :clap:

 

it's not a matter of what i want or what u want - most of the fanbase of celine love her the best when she is singing those powerful ballads . celine might experiment with jazz but i can promise u she wont do it for the next 25 years...she will always sing and record ballads because first of all SHE loves it .

Posted
it's not a matter of what i want or what u want - most of the fanbase of celine love her the best when she is singing those powerful ballads . celine might experiment with jazz but i can promise u she wont do it for the next 25 years...she will always sing and record ballads because first of all SHE loves it .

You are way too much exaggerating. She loves the big ballads? Why did she record D'eux and all her French albums? All of a sudden she's calming herself in English as well. It's the calm Céline Dion era approaching, gogo. ;) Which of course doesn't mean she won't have vocal outbursts here and there but she's changed. She would have NEVER EVER sung Summertime the way she did on the telethon when she was in 1996. NEVER EVER. She would have included all this robotic rumblings all over cuzz she had something to prove back then but now she doesn't have anything to prove to anyone and she choses - step by step - the calm approach in English - yes, in English which then again surprises me very positively! :D But don't worry, gogo, you will get some of your notes here and there just how I got some quality and soulful music from her every 3 years with the releases of her French albums. ;)

http://i.imgur.com/dmreJ.jpg

Posted

it's not a matter of what i want or what u want - most of the fanbase of celine love her the best when she is singing those powerful ballads . celine might experiment with jazz but i can promise u she wont do it for the next 25 years...she will always sing and record ballads because first of all SHE loves it .

You are way too much exaggerating. She loves the big ballads? Why did she record D'eux and all her French albums? All of a sudden she's calming herself in English as well. It's the calm Céline Dion era approaching, gogo. ;) Which of course doesn't mean she won't have vocal outbursts here and there but she's changed. She would have NEVER EVER sung Summertime the way she did on the telethon when she was in 1996. NEVER EVER. She would have included all this robotic rumblings all over cuzz she had something to prove back then but now she doesn't have anything to prove to anyone and she choses - step by step - the calm approach in English - yes, in English which then again surprises me very positively! :D But don't worry, gogo, you will get some of your notes here and there just how I got some quality and soulful music from her every 3 years with the releases of her French albums. ;)

 

u r ignoring the most important thing here - celine is not singing her old hits like she used to NOT because she loves it more when it's calm and NOT because she prefers what u call "soul" ( who says that she cant sing "soul" and still hit those high notes??) , she sings her old hits diffrently because her voice is not the same anymore . love it or hate it - she cant sing "summertime" like she sang it in 1988 , just like she cant sing "because you loved me" and "my heart will go on" the same...she is older now , not as athlete as before and while she still takes care of her voice more than any other singer i heard of , life is bigger than everything i guess.

celine will continue to record those big ballads but it would sound diffrent , u can tell that whens she sings her old hits diffrently it's always because her voice is not the same - she cant hit the notes as easily as before so she is working it around the note but believe me if she could sing BYLM , ABM , MHWGO , TT and other hits like she used to she would have .

Posted

What you're saying is simply stating the obvious, gogo. She couldn't sing her old song the same way she always did cuzz her priority ain't her voice anymore. That's just one logical conclusion. What I'm saying is she could have very well screamed her way through Summertime but she hasn't - she just nailed it with a little effort just the way it should sound. Some emotion instead of robotism. These days are gone. Surely she may record another pure pop record with ballads but to be honest she sounds not at her best pretendig that she still can sing like in 1996. She did that on LTAL and TAST - both are far far far away from the vocal magnum opus that D'eux and FIY are. She couldn't do in in 1998 so why would she even want to try it in 2006?

 

These are new times for her now and she just seems to understand it. I have little doubts about that. She slowly begins taking the right route - the Seb route 66 to the jazz album. Whenever it will happen but it eventually will and everything speaks for it. Even she herself.

http://i.imgur.com/dmreJ.jpg

Posted (edited)

well i think that in 1998 she sounded even better than in 1996 . i think that her voice is in even better condition in LTAL that in FIY . i also think that her best album vocaly is TAST .

and again , i dont think that u can call a song like "us" robotic , i think it's a masterpiece . also "i surrender" and "just walk away" and many other powerful ballads that r not robotic at all . the fact that she hits each and every note perfectly doesnt mean that she is not singing it with grace and emotions .

celine's voice doesnt have to be raw and unclear in order for it to be soulful as u call it - she can hit those great money notes and still sing her heart out...it's the other way around as a matter of fact - what a great performance she gave in 2001 while singing GBA - wasnt it emotional and amazing?!? - i think that's her last performance as an "athlete" - just perfect . and also LAE few days after in canada .

Edited by thevoice
Posted
You are now contradicting yourself, gogo, by stating now that she still can. :whistling: Anyhow this is not a thread about her voice. It's about how the recent steps of hers and René have been slowly but steadily shaped something that may just look like what she need long long ago - some artistic credibility and coherence in English.
http://i.imgur.com/dmreJ.jpg

Posted
As long as she sounds like at the telethon, she can sing whatever she wants. She hasn't sung that good for years. :in_love: Though, a jazz album would be great - with American and French jazz standards and / or new songs in that style. I like really both, the slow jazz ballads like Bewitched or Je N'Ai Pas Peur from Simplement Marnay, and the more catchy tunes like Brule Pas Tes Doigts where she can improvise and scat. I think she can do both justice. I'd also welcome some new power ballads. Something passionate and emotional like Cherche Encore or Call The Man. They are great as well.
Posted
thats exacly what i was thinking and i think that the sumertime performence was the last step before the jazz album in english but i also think that we'll gonna also have a french jazzy album...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...