Bellamy Posted September 13, 2006 at 05:53 PM Posted September 13, 2006 at 05:53 PM Apple intros new iPod line, iTunes 7, iTV device Apple made four releases and one announcement in San Francisco today. Here's a roundup of all the stuff that went down in San Francisco. First up is the updated iPod. The Apple iPod 5.1G has a screen that's 60% brighter than the 5G, and is available in two models, a 30GB and an 80GB. The 30GB model gets 14 hours of music playback and 3.5 hours of video playback, whereas the 80GB gets 20 hours of music playback and 6.5 hours of video playback—both increased from the 5G models. The 30GB costs $249 and the 80GB costs $349, lower than the previous $299 and $399 prices. The iPod 5.1G and the older 5G can both play the new iPod Games, which are "Bejeweled", "Cubis 2", "Mahjong", "Mini Golf", "Pac-Man", "Tetris", "Texas Hold'em", "Vortex", and "Zuma". You can buy these for $4.99 each from the iTunes store. Next is the second generation iPod Nano, which got a redesign and looks quite like the discontinued iPod Mini. The iPod Nano 2G has an aluminum body, 24 hours of battery life and is available in three sizes. The 2GB iPod Nano is silver and costs $149, the 4GB versions are silver, pink, green and blue and cost $199, and the 8GB is only in black and costs $249. These Nanos fit into older docks, but the dock connector is a little bit offcenter, so they may not work with all accessories. There are also new accessories made just for the Nano, including lanyard headphones ($39), an armband ($29), a new dock ($29), and a USB power adapter that's smaller than the previous USB power adapter ($20). Both the Nano and the 5.1G iPod have the updated search and quick scrolling that makes browsing faster by displaying what the current letter you're scrolling through is, and letting you input alphabetical letters to jump to a certain place. The letter display is already in 5G iPods after you perform a software update, but I'm not sure about the character searching. The last iPod is the iPod Shuffle 2G, which has 1GB of storage, costs $79 and has a built-in clip on the back. It weighs half an ounce, measures only a half cubic inch in volume, and is still screen-less like the old iPod Shuffle. Its battery life is 12 hours, and includes a dock to connect to your PC (no longer has a USB-connector like the iPod Shuffle 1G). This is only available in the one color, grey. The iTunes software has also been updated to version 7, which has new album and cover browsing views including a Cover Flow view to scroll through your music, movies and TV shows by its cover. There are also new iPod management screens to manage your iPod preferences from inside iTunes, instead of in iTunes preferences. The iPod games are also purchased through the iTunes store for $4.99. The Cover Flow features look really awesome, and you can try it out for yourself now. The iTunes Movie Store has just launched with 75 movies from Walt Disney Pictures, Pixar, Touchstone Pictures and Miramax Films. Among them, "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl", "Shakespeare in Love", and "Toy Story". These movies can be downloaded in 640x480 resolution, which is near DVD quality, and can be played on your iPod or iTunes software. Prices will be $12.99 for pre-orders and first week sales, which then jumps to $14.99 afterwards. Older titles will be $9.99. The last item is the iTV, a set-top-box-like device that can connect to your home network through 802.11 wireless or ethernet, and streams your iTunes movies to your TV. The power supply is internal, and the connectors are USB, HDMI, component video, optical audio and analog audio. It's wider, but flatter than a Mac Mini, and has a UI similar to Front Row. This will be $299 when it's released in Q1 2007.'Damn Apple charges $5 for the new games!!! I want a hack soon!!! Quote Please support the forum by ordering everything through our special Amazon.com link Click here. Thank you!
babymonkey Posted September 13, 2006 at 07:15 PM Posted September 13, 2006 at 07:15 PM You know the next big advance in technology apples should make? And that people actually want? An iPod that can play multiple formats and not just apple's own! I hate i Pods for that reason, and that reason alone Quote http://gamesnet.vo.llnwd.net/o1/gamestar/objects/117454_main.jpgCut Price Polaris Force
Céline's Blues Posted September 13, 2006 at 07:43 PM Posted September 13, 2006 at 07:43 PM (edited) You know the next big advance in technology apples should make? And that people actually want? An iPod that can play multiple formats and not just apple's own! I hate i Pods for that reason, and that reason alone<{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well...but they're goood, those formats. Really good. AAC (16 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Music Store), MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3 and 4), Apple Lossless, WAV, AIFF Otherwise the event was not really all that. I am MORE THAN HAPPY I got my nano before these color Disney jackets were put on them. I do love the 24" Macintosh, tho. Edited September 13, 2006 at 07:43 PM by siur Quote http://i.imgur.com/dmreJ.jpg
babymonkey Posted September 13, 2006 at 08:39 PM Posted September 13, 2006 at 08:39 PM Still though. Cross compatibility is important in this day and age. It worked for apple this time because the product itself is so good, but it could have fallen flat anyway. Apple was dead in the water till the iMac came along. Despite the fact that their product was superior in many ways to the IBM compatibles. The amount of products that have failed despite their superiority to ones that have succeeded! Quote http://gamesnet.vo.llnwd.net/o1/gamestar/objects/117454_main.jpgCut Price Polaris Force
catwomanrrr Posted September 14, 2006 at 05:34 AM Posted September 14, 2006 at 05:34 AM (edited) Thanks for sharing the news, Bellamy:) I must say... It's been ages since iPods have been released, and I haven't had an urge to buy one yet... lol Edited September 14, 2006 at 05:35 AM by Joy Quote http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n28/rhymereason/dreambig.jpg
Clari Posted September 14, 2006 at 10:07 AM Posted September 14, 2006 at 10:07 AM I was wondering where usual iPod update post was Bellamy! I don't like the Nano iPods much, I feel like I'm going to break them.... but I want a pink one!!! They should make the full sized ones in colours! Quote http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/CelineSmiles/hamster.gif CLARiSSA Xxx... "Music touches every sense. It can move you to tears, bring joy to your heart, stir sexual passion, evoke memories, and prompt physical responses of all kinds." -Benoît Jutras
Bellamy Posted September 14, 2006 at 11:32 AM Author Posted September 14, 2006 at 11:32 AM I was wondering where usual iPod update post was Bellamy! I don't like the Nano iPods much, I feel like I'm going to break them.... but I want a pink one!!! They should make the full sized ones in colours!<{POST_SNAPBACK}> new nano has aluminum body. so it's much stronger than the older one. almost same like old iPod mini. Quote Please support the forum by ordering everything through our special Amazon.com link Click here. Thank you!
Céline's Blues Posted September 14, 2006 at 11:34 AM Posted September 14, 2006 at 11:34 AM Pics of the new 24" iMacintosh: http://www.enyum.com/imac/ Quote http://i.imgur.com/dmreJ.jpg
Bellamy Posted September 14, 2006 at 11:39 AM Author Posted September 14, 2006 at 11:39 AM I heard the 24" iMac use cheap LCD panel. so maybe it's not that good to use as desktop HDTV. not sure yet. Quote Please support the forum by ordering everything through our special Amazon.com link Click here. Thank you!
Céline's Blues Posted September 14, 2006 at 11:45 AM Posted September 14, 2006 at 11:45 AM Apple and cheap? Naaaaah, I don't think so. Can't wait for the reviews. Quote http://i.imgur.com/dmreJ.jpg
kathyc25 Posted September 14, 2006 at 12:44 PM Posted September 14, 2006 at 12:44 PM hmmm...sounds cool. But I`m pretty happy with my nano Quote Music Is Life...Live ItYou are the music while the music lasts. ~T.S. Eliot"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." ~ Walt Disney
CelineDionAlex Posted September 14, 2006 at 04:49 PM Posted September 14, 2006 at 04:49 PM it seems intresting but i've al;ready got three different ipods Quote http://ados.free.fr/Photos/CDion220.jpg
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.