Las Vegas Shows  

Welcome to Celine Dion Forum

Welcome to Celine Dion Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Celine Dion Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
  • Click here to become a member!

What if the A New Day Has Come World Tour happenedTour vs. A New Day...

39 replies to this topic

Dion2000

Dion2000

Celine Obsessed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Member ID: 36,911
  • 2,233 posts
  • Local time: 05:21 AM
  • Skin: Celine 2016
  • Born: 2000
This never happend, we all know Celine signed the contract for AND and how it shaped her career and the future of Vegas. But... what if she had decided to do a ANDHCWT ?

What do you think the tour wouldve been like ?

What do you think the set list wouldve been like ?

What do you think the outfits wouldve looked like ?

How wouldve this have changed her career ?

Would you have preferred this or kept the Vegas life ?

I know this is a very controversial topic so lets discuss

Davey84

Davey84

a prince among men

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Member ID: 4,296
  • 25,263 posts
  • Local time: 06:21 AM
  • Born: 1984
Did you make this topic just for Javito? :giggle:

I thought there was a topic about 'wish tours, like a tour for D'Elles, OH, 1F4T etc, but I can't find it. :shrug:

Posted Image

Rick, ik hou van jou voor altijd!

A New Day... has come 28/29 April & 2/3 May 07

Antwerpen 13 et 14 mai,Paris 24 et 25 mai, Amsterdam 2 juinet Arras 7 juillet Chances Taken!!!

How Do You Keep The Music Playing? - Celine Opening Night March 15th, March 16th

jpatdeleon09

jpatdeleon09

Céline Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Member ID: 24,762
  • 4,830 posts
  • Local time: 12:21 PM
  • Born: 1993
I'm just happy you moved on with your issue with "You're The Voice" :)

:clap: :sofunny:

Celine Fan 77

Celine Fan 77

Celine Worshipper

• Channel Addicts
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Member ID: 24,385
  • 6,777 posts
Here's what I think would have happened:

CAREER

A New Day... happened because Celine wanted stability for her newborn child. If, instead of taking the huge risk of starting a residency show in Las Vegas, she had decided to tour the world and take RC with her (which she said she'd do with no doubt in press interviews during the 90's), not only the ANDHC era would have been longer, but her hole career might have followed a different path than the real one.

Maybe she would have toured the world between 2003 and 2004, and then taken two years off to spend time with René and RC and (seriously) think about doing some movies. Remember that A New Day... turned her from icon to legend, but also closed many doors for her because she had no time left for nearly anything else.

So it could have been something like this:

2002: Worldwide release of the album, press conference to announce the World Tour around May or June and worldwide promotion up until December.

2003: Big world tour in the style of the LTAL days (I'm sure Spain would have finally been on the list this time because she came to promote the album on TV and radio lol).

Sony Music would have probably kept releasing singles from the album during 2003. Most of the songs from the One Heart album could have been B-sides to selected singles.

2004: End of the tour and announcement of a break of a year and half. Sony would release a Deluxe Edition of ANDHC with the original album, One Heart and a bonus DVD containing a concert from the tour. (Is it only wishful thinking? Tell me I'm not dreaming :giggle:)

OUTFITS

I don't know if she would have gone back to Annie Horth for the tour. She didn't do it until 2007, so I have no idea. A good option to me would have been to keep her style from the early days of the ANDHC album promo. That hair, those sleeves on point... Iconic!

SETLIST

English

1. A New Day Has Come [Radio Remix]
2. Just A Little Bit Of Love
3. Have You Ever Been In Love
4. The Reason
5. Ten Days
6. Hits Medley: It's All Coming Back To Me Now / Because You Loved Me / To Love You More
7. Beauty and the Beast
8. Pour Que Tu M'aimes Encore
9. Right In Front Of You
10. Your Light
11. Lovin' Proof
12. At Last
13. That's The Way It Is
14. Love Can Move Mountains
15. I'm Alive
16. My Heart Will Go On
17. Nature Boy

French

1. A New Day Has Come [Radio Remix]
2. Dans Un Autre Monde
3. Have You Ever Been In Love
4. On Ne Change Pas
5. Ten Days (With parts from the original French version Tomber by Gérald De Palmas)
6. Hits Medley: It's All Coming Back To Me Now / Because You Loved Me / To Love You More
7. Sous Le Vent
8. Je Sais Pas
9. Right In Front Of You
10. Prière Païenne
11. J'irai où tu Iras
12. At Last
13. The Greatest Reward (With parts from the original French version L'envie D'aimer by Daniel Lévi)
14. Love Can Move Mountains
15. I'm Alive
16. My Heart Will Go On
17. Pour Que Tu M'aimes Encore

Blog.png

'Sans Attendre Tour' Paris [1-12-2013]

'Tournée Été' Antwerp [20-06-2016]

'Celine Live' Birmingham [27-07-2017]

Danystar

Danystar

Celine Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
    • Member ID: 23,713
  • 320 posts
  • Born: 1986
It's hard to dream about it now. We have amazing era A New Day... magical, theatrical. It all happened just in time, and I can’t imagine anything else.

Javito

Javito

Retiens-moi

• Channel Addicts
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Member ID: 6,419
  • 12,945 posts
  • Born: 1985
I would fill pages and pages talking about this, but for the moment I'll just say what it was obvious back then, and needless to say something that was obvious but here we go again:

First of all, her career would have exploded and skyrocketed even more and further than where she was, because she was conquering a new public with that album (teenagers and fans in their 20s), who barely payed attention to Céline Dion back then because she wasn't "cool", and also because she was being played in radios addressed to young listeners where she wasn't played before (but for MHWGO of course).

And secondly, needles to say that if she had toured with ANDHC her career wouldn't have stagnated all of a sudden in 2003, radios would have kept the global interest on her and kept playing her music and paying attention to her next albums.

And obviously Sony Music would have released more singles than just 3! That's out of the question, since RIFOY and Sorry For Love were scheduled to be singles in the promo plan way before the album was even released.

She had already paved the way with the worldwide hit TTWII two years ago and with ANDHC she confirmed the newly gained attention from radios and young generations of fans, but after 2003 she totally killed that conquest and closed that door to that progression forever.

Of course, the ANDHC era would have been longuer and the songs included in the OH album would have been probably released in a special edition in 2003 (instead of the late 2002 rushed edition, which was done to close the great performance of the album and bury this album forever before her exclusive commitments with Vegas started).

In 2003 she would have toured all the year and continued on part of 2004 surely, then a 2-disc deluxe/special edition of the album would have come, with (some) unreleased songs and a DVD of the tour. Then in late 2004 or early 2005 she would have released a new French album and close to that she would have released that damn Spanish album (she says she "always wanted to do" :innocent: :P )

Yes, if it wasn't for damn Vegas a Spanish album would have probably followed sooner or later around 2003 or 2004... Spanish version of HYEBIL would have been released due to the success of her Spanish performances during the tour in Spain and Spanish-speaking countries :P , her first movie role would have followed... And so on...

Too many projects, new conquests and successes killed thanks to Vegas. Yes, Vegas helped to confirm her status as a legend, but she became a legend much too soon! :ermm: :doh:

Edited by Javito, 08 January 2019 - 10:18 AM.

andhcv8.jpg

"Hush, now... I see a light in the sky."

Dion2000

Dion2000

Celine Obsessed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,233 posts
I love this keep it going hah

ryba

ryba

Celine Wannabe

• Channel Addicts
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Member ID: 5,889
  • 4,232 posts

View PostJavito, on 08 January 2019 - 10:00 AM, said:

I would fill pages and pages talking about this, but for the moment I'll just say what it was obvious back then, and needless to say something that was obvious but here we go again:

First of all, her career would have exploded and skyrocketed even more and further than where she was, because she was conquering a new public with that album (teenagers and fans in their 20s), who barely payed attention to Céline Dion back then because she wasn't "cool", and also because she was being played in radios addressed to young listeners where she wasn't played before (but for MHWGO of course).

And secondly, needles to say that if she had toured with ANDHC her career wouldn't have stagnated all of a sudden in 2003, radios would have kept the global interest on her and kept playing her music and paying attention to her next albums.

And obviously Sony Music would have released more singles than just 3! That's out of the question, since RIFOY and Sorry For Love were scheduled to be singles in the promo plan way before the album was even released.

She had already paved the way with the worldwide hit TTWII two years ago and with ANDHC she confirmed the newly gained attention from radios and young generations of fans, but after 2003 she totally killed that conquest and closed that door to that progression forever.

Of course, the ANDHC era would have been longuer and the songs included in the OH album would have been probably released in a special edition in 2003 (instead of the late 2002 rushed edition, which was done to close the great performance of the album and bury this album forever before her exclusive commitments with Vegas started).

In 2003 she would have toured all the year and continued on part of 2004 surely, then a 2-disc deluxe/special edition of the album would have come, with (some) unreleased songs and a DVD of the tour. Then in late 2004 or early 2005 she would have released a new French album and close to that she would have released that damn Spanish album (she says she "always wanted to do" :innocent: :P )

Yes, if it wasn't for damn Vegas a Spanish album would have probably followed sooner or later around 2003 or 2004... Spanish version of HYEBIL would have been released due to the success of her Spanish performances during the tour in Spain and Spanish-speaking countries :P , her first movie role would have followed... And so on...

Too many projects, new conquests and successes killed thanks to Vegas. Yes, Vegas helped to confirm her status as a legend, but she became a legend much too soon! :ermm: :doh:
maybe now that she spends so much time with Pepe she will finally go for that Spanish album and some movies
@Sony @TeamCeline  #Release The 2016, 2017 & 2018 Summer Tours On Blu-ray!!!

#The Fans demand more Celine material to be released!!! (more & longer in-studio footage on bonus DVDs)

Celine Fan 77

Celine Fan 77

Celine Worshipper

• Channel Addicts
  • 6,777 posts

View PostJavito, on 08 January 2019 - 10:00 AM, said:

Then in late 2004 or early 2005 she would have released a new French album and close to that she would have released that damn Spanish album (she says she "always wanted to do" :innocent: :P )

That French album would have probably been the On Ne Change Pas compilation we all know. According to René himself, the contract for that French greatest hits compilation was already signed in 1999. The album would contain three new tracks which, as we all know, ended up being Je Ne Vous Oublie Pas, Tous Les Secrets and I Believe In You.

Blog.png

Davey84

Davey84

a prince among men

• Super Moderators
  • 25,263 posts
I find this a very cool topic. It's always fun to imagine 'what if's'.

I think that Céline would have focussed more on the new songs, than on her ‘old’ hits. I think she would have wanted a fresh new upbeat and cheerful concert as she was in one of her happiest times in her life. This is why I have chosen many songs from ANDHC and two big ones from ATW and to start her concert with her biggest hit (MHWGO/PQTME) to get them out of the way. The French concert would be very English, but that’s because it was to promote ANDHC after all.

Like Carlos said, it would have been full of long sleeves, cheerful pints, tight pants on high heels! I think it would have been an end stage again, because the stage in the middle like LTAL and TCWT is far too exhausting. Maybe because there are so many upbeat songs, she would have had dancers with her.

Yes, I think it would have kept her more in the public eye and introduced her to a more youthful audience. Unfortunately wat Javito said is true; Vegas made her a legend, but a legend 20 years too early. I think she would have focused more on her artistic side, than on the performing side. Of course IDAN wouldn’t have happened, neither would OH. Song would have been used for singles or for a special edition. IMO the singles from ANDHC would have been: ANDHC, IA, IS, RIFOY, SFL and then HYEBIL. All of course with awesome video’s and promotion/ live performances on TV and remixes for each song.

1F4T wouldn't have happened until late 2003 or early 2004, after which she would have done a small tour with the 4 guys around France, Canada and Belgium. Where the whole album would have been performed and the 4 guys would have performed some solo stuff too. She might have finally recorded that Queen tribute album she always dreamt of (and MY GOD after seeing Bohemian Rhapsody, I wish she had recorded a Queen tribute album!!!) and released that in 2005. (Seriously I don’t ever want a Spanish album from her, I am sorry Spanish folks, but it’s not my cup of tea! French and English is enough!) She might have had more children in 2007, instead of going on a world tour… And more Grammy’s, Oscars hell a Tony! Who knows…

You can’t say what you prefer if one of those things didn’t happen. I think going to Vegas was the right decision for Céline at the time. She wanted a stable life, a grounded home for her son. She was able to give him that. Also René didn’t want to keep Céline away from the stage for too long. I think if Céline had her way, she wouldn’t have done anything until RC was maybe 5 or 6! I just think that AND should have ended in 2006. And there should not have been sooooo many concerts per year. It locked her up, giving no room for other projects besides things she only needed to give her name to, like the perfumes. And unfortunately that made the general public forget about her.

What do you think the set list wouldve been like?

English

1. My Heart Will Go On
2. Right in Front of You
(Baby)Talk, introducing ANDHC
3. A New Day Has Come [Radio Remix]
4. Have You Ever Been In Love
5. Ten Days

Costume change
6. Hits Medley: The Power Of Love/ It's All Coming Back To Me Now / Because You Loved Me / To Love You More
7. That's The Way It Is
8. Pour Que Tu M'Aimes Encore
9. I Surrender

Costume Change
10. At Last
11. All The Way (Virtual duet with Sinatra)
12. When the Wrong One Loves You Right
13. The Greatest Reward

Costume change
14. I'm Alive
15. Love Can Move Mountains
16. Sorry for Love

Costume change  Encore
17. A New Day Has Come [Full Album version]
18. Nature Boy [video/photo collage of RC on the screens]

French

1. Pour Que Tu M'Aimes Encore
2. Right in Front of You
5. Ten Days (With parts from the original French version Tomber by Gérald De Palmas)

Costume change
6. Hits Medley: The Power Of Love/ My Heart Will Go On/ Je Sais Pas/ J'irai où tu Iras
7. That's The Way It Is
8. On Ne Change Pas
9. I Surrender

Costume Change
10. At Last
11. Sous Le Vent (Virtual duet with Garou)
13. L'envie D'aimer

Costume change
14. I'm Alive
16. Sorry for Love

Costume change  Encore
19. S’Il Suffisait D’Aimer

Posted Image

Antwerpen 13 et 14 mai,Paris 24 et 25 mai, Amsterdam 2 juinet Arras 7 juillet Chances Taken!!!

How Do You Keep The Music Playing? - Celine Opening Night March 15th, March 16th

couldawouldashoulda

couldawouldashoulda

Celine Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Member ID: 24,352
  • 784 posts
  • Local time: 12:21 AM
I’ve often wondered what an ANDHC tour would’ve looked like and have had the following playlist on my phone that I enjoy listening to every now and again.

1 - My Heart Will Go On
2 - A New Day Has Come (Remix)
3 - Because You Loved Me
(I imagine this is where she would first talk, thanking the audience for sticking by her during her time off and talking a bit about how much she loved working with the songwriters for her new album. She’d discuss Rene-Charles and mention how a classic song was suggested to her and it makes her think of him.)
4 - At Last
5 - I’m Alive
6 - To Love You More
(First costume change)
7 - Ten Days
8 - Sorry For Love
9 - River Deep, Mountain High
(Second costume change)
10 - I Surrender
11 - All The Way (For Rene)
12 - It’s All Coming Back To Me Now/Power of Love Medly
13 - When The Wrong One Loves You Right
14 - Goodbye’s The Saddest Word (It was a single so I imagine it would’ve been in the concert)
15 - I’m Your Angel
(Third costume change)
16 - Love Can Move Mountains
17 - Unison
18 - That’s The Way It Is
(Final costume change)
19 - Have You Ever Been In Love
20 - Nature Boy

Dion2000

Dion2000

Celine Obsessed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,233 posts

View PostDavey84, on 09 January 2019 - 06:04 AM, said:

I find this a very cool topic. It's always fun to imagine 'what if's'.

I think that Céline would have focussed more on the new songs, than on her ‘old’ hits. I think she would have wanted a fresh new upbeat and cheerful concert as she was in one of her happiest times in her life. This is why I have chosen many songs from ANDHC and two big ones from ATW and to start her concert with her biggest hit (MHWGO/PQTME) to get them out of the way. The French concert would be very English, but that’s because it was to promote ANDHC after all.

Like Carlos said, it would have been full of long sleeves, cheerful pints, tight pants on high heels! I think it would have been an end stage again, because the stage in the middle like LTAL and TCWT is far too exhausting. Maybe because there are so many upbeat songs, she would have had dancers with her.

Yes, I think it would have kept her more in the public eye and introduced her to a more youthful audience. Unfortunately wat Javito said is true; Vegas made her a legend, but a legend 20 years too early. I think she would have focused more on her artistic side, than on the performing side. Of course IDAN wouldn’t have happened, neither would OH. Song would have been used for singles or for a special edition. IMO the singles from ANDHC would have been: ANDHC, IA, IS, RIFOY, SFL and then HYEBIL. All of course with awesome video’s and promotion/ live performances on TV and remixes for each song.

1F4T wouldn't have happened until late 2003 or early 2004, after which she would have done a small tour with the 4 guys around France, Canada and Belgium. Where the whole album would have been performed and the 4 guys would have performed some solo stuff too. She might have finally recorded that Queen tribute album she always dreamt of (and MY GOD after seeing Bohemian Rhapsody, I wish she had recorded a Queen tribute album!!!) and released that in 2005. (Seriously I don’t ever want a Spanish album from her, I am sorry Spanish folks, but it’s not my cup of tea! French and English is enough!) She might have had more children in 2007, instead of going on a world tour… And more Grammy’s, Oscars hell a Tony! Who knows…

You can’t say what you prefer if one of those things didn’t happen. I think going to Vegas was the right decision for Céline at the time. She wanted a stable life, a grounded home for her son. She was able to give him that. Also René didn’t want to keep Céline away from the stage for too long. I think if Céline had her way, she wouldn’t have done anything until RC was maybe 5 or 6! I just think that AND should have ended in 2006. And there should not have been sooooo many concerts per year. It locked her up, giving no room for other projects besides things she only needed to give her name to, like the perfumes. And unfortunately that made the general public forget about her.

What do you think the set list wouldve been like?

English

1. My Heart Will Go On
2. Right in Front of You
5. Ten Days

Costume change
6. Hits Medley: The Power Of Love/ It's All Coming Back To Me Now / Because You Loved Me / To Love You More
7. That's The Way It Is
8. Pour Que Tu M'Aimes Encore
9. I Surrender

Costume Change
10. At Last
11. All The Way (Virtual duet with Sinatra)
13. The Greatest Reward

Costume change
14. I'm Alive
16. Sorry for Love

Costume change  Encore

French

1. Pour Que Tu M'Aimes Encore
2. Right in Front of You

Costume change
6. Hits Medley: The Power Of Love/ My Heart Will Go On/ Je Sais Pas/ J'irai où tu Iras
7. That's The Way It Is
8. On Ne Change Pas
9. I Surrender

Costume Change
10. At Last
11. Sous Le Vent (Virtual duet with Garou)
13. L'envie D'aimer

Costume change
14. I'm Alive
16. Sorry for Love

Costume change  Encore
19. S’Il Suffisait D’Aimer

I LOVE THIS SO MUCH :wub:

Dion my heart Barbra

Dion my heart Barbra

Celine Fan

• Members
  • PipPip
    • Member ID: 25,706
  • 54 posts
A New Day may sold over 15 million or more and more album since 2003

Davey84

Davey84

a prince among men

• Super Moderators
  • 25,263 posts

View PostDion2000, on 09 January 2019 - 09:45 AM, said:

I LOVE THIS SO MUCH :wub:
I'm happy you like it ;)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

Posted Image

Javito

Javito

Retiens-moi

• Channel Addicts
  • 12,945 posts

View PostDavey84, on 09 January 2019 - 06:04 AM, said:

Hear hear! And it's not me-the-worst-anti-Vegas-fan/supporter who is saying that haha :shifty:

I'm glad when thoughts like that come straightforward when talking about our best hopes and dreams for something we would have loved to happen :)

A thought which has become obvious now for many, now that we can really asses the pros and cons of what Vegas has really provided to her career, but It became very clear to me the very first year of Vegas in 2003/2004, that the Vegas contract would do no good to her international status as a pop star and would isolate her career from the world for the rest of her career. Like I said, she became a legend much too young and soon, enclosed in a jail of gold :down: And the best years of her voice were waisted absolutely in an insane and terrible way during the first residency. Now I keep the albums she recorded while performing there... That's what's left after all this "adventure" is over.

Edited by Javito, 09 January 2019 - 12:10 PM.

andhcv8.jpg

minolli

minolli

Celine Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Member ID: 1,234
  • 571 posts
  • Local time: 10:21 PM
  • Born: 1983
OK, so I have been thinking about this topic since I saw it a few days ago, and it has really got me thinking. I finally got all my thoughts together. Sorry for the extremely long post!

The tour probably would have started in the summer of 2002 and gone through mid-2003. I think since ANDHC was a "comeback," the tour probably would have focused a lot on the new songs. Since it also would've been the first tour since "ATW," there probably would have been some of those songs included as well. Up to that point, Céline's tours weren't necessarily as elaborate as the shows became later (dancers, extensive moving set pieces like there was on TCWT, etc.) but I think this tour might have been more of a "spectacle" than the earlier tours were. There would've been a lot of color and energy.

What do you think the set list wouldve been like ?

Anglophone Setlist
(Show opening -- combo of mid-tempo and some ballads, new and old songs. Costume something like this or maybe this.)
1. A New Day Has Come - Radio remix version
2. I'm Alive
3. Because You Loved Me
4. Have You Ever Been In Love?
5. Right In Front Of You
6. That's The Way It Is
7. Ten Days
8. The Power of Love  

(Interlude and change to "tribute to RC/motherhood" portion of the show/costume change -- a dress like this or this.)
9. The Prayer (virtual duet with Andrew Bocelli)
10. Goodbye's (The Saddest Word)

Medley:

11. The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face

12. At Last

13. What A Wonderful World

14. Nature Boy

(Interlude to up-tempo portion of the show/costume would be something fun, easy to move in, with a lot of color, something like this.)
15. When The Wrong One Loves You Right/Everybody's Talkin' My Baby Down (<--- I have always thought these should be combined into a mashup!)
16. Love Can Move Mountains
17. Sorry For Love
18. I Surrender (<--- Am I the only one who thinks these two really dramatic songs (IS/IACBTMN) should be paired together?)
19. It's All Coming Back To Me Now

(Encore. Flowing, long dress like this or this.)
20. Think Twice/All By Myself/To Love You More (depending on location)
21. My Heart Will Go On

Francophone Setlist
1. A New Day Has Come - Radio remix version
2. I'm Alive
3. L'amour existe encore
4. Have You Ever Been In Love?
5. Right In Front Of You
6. That's The Way It Is
7. Ten Days/Tomber
8. Je sais pas

(Interlude/Costume change.)
9. Sous le vent (virtual duet with Garou)
10. On ne change pas

English Hits Medley:

11. Because You Loved Me

12. The Power of Love

13. My Heart Will Go On

14. Nature Boy

(Interlude/change for uptempo section)
15. When The Wrong One Loves You Right/Everybody's Talkin' My Baby Down - mashup
16. Je danse dans ma tête (<--- Or "Sorry For Love" if she wanted to showcase ANDHC in favor of more French songs.)
17. Dans un autre monde
18. I Surrender
19. It's All Coming Back To Me Now

(Encore)
20. S'il suffisait d'aimer
21. Pour que tu m'aimes encore

Céline probably would have continued along with the sort of looks and brands she was wearing during the promo for ANDHC and what was in fashion at the time -- flowing fabrics, handkerchief hems, layers, color, crop/cargo/harem pants. The looks that were in fashion ~17 years ago are quite different from what is popular now, and Céline's fashion was really different than what it is now. I think she would've gone for color and movement over glam and sparkle in those days. (More details on my ideas are in the setlist.)

I don't know that a world tour would have generated quite as much media attention as LV did at the time, because she had already been on world tours, so there wasn't the same novelty, aside from it being a comeback album. If they chose the right singles that showed Céline's evolution without alienating existing fans (my preferences: ANHDC, I'm Alive, RIFOY, HYEBIL, and maybe Ten Days or WTWOLYR) the album cycle would have lasted a lot longer than it did. I think she still would have released 1F4T in fall 2003, and maybe done a short promo tour for that around francophone territories. Hopefully in this scenario Miracle never would have happened. ;) We may have had another English album in 2004 along with the ONCP compilation. She probably would have remained more in the "industry," but I don't think that guarantees she would have had continued huge radio/single success. I think at that point in her life, though, she wouldn't necessarily have wanted to continue the album/tour cycle beyond ANDHC because she wanted RC to have stability, so I suspect there would have been a break of some sort between 2005-2007 or so.

I found the initial Vegas run to be an exciting chapter in her career. I do wish she had started the show maybe 6 months later to give more time to ANDHC promo, but Vegas generated so much buzz and gave her a chance to prove critics wrong. I think it was creatively fulfilling for her. However, I wish the first show had only lasted 3 years or so, and with fewer shows per year. I do agree with some that it made her less available and perhaps may have been so all-consuming that she wasn't able to try as many new things as she might have otherwise. I am really glad for the LV chapter of her career because it cemented her as a legend and as a performer who can sell-out shows consistently. I also love that it let her have the family life that she so openly talked about wanting to have. So, I guess my answer is that I am happy that the LV chapter happened, but I wish it had only been about 50% as time consuming.
Posted Image

JulienMcbeal

JulienMcbeal

Celine Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
    • Member ID: 5,181
  • 162 posts
  • Born: 1982

POPULAR

I think many of you are way too optimistic of what her career would have been without A New Day. :cry:

Yes, they would have extend the album life span by releasing more singles, but would that really have been a game-changer? Were Goodbye's and At Last succesful? Hey, were ANDHC and IA THAT succesful?
Sure, it did well on AC charts, some songs even breaking records (including One Heart's (!) Have you ever been in love).
But ANDHC only reached 22 on Billboard Hot 100 (while the airplay only TTWII reached #6) and I'm Alive reached #6... on the AC chart! (11 on bubbling under Hot 100...).
Sure, IA scored in Europe. But not that big, skimming through its wikipedia page makes clear it charted for approximatively 10 weeks in most countries.

I don't know the evolution of this album's sales through 2002, but it was basicaly done by the end of year (maybe even the summer)? Why rushing a new album  (with rejected songs from ANDHC) to promote AND otherwise? Needless to say One Heart topped the charts only in a few european countries.

So obviously, her sales/airplay was beginning to decrease (I'm talking about charts mainly, not pure sales number, cause we all know CD sales were dropping more and more each year for the industry at that time). I'm really not convinced she gained so many younger fans during the first years of the 2000's. Charts (before the Vegas residency) already show otherwise. She already had less success.
Her star was beginning to fade (even if it was just a little).

René knew during the late 90's that Céline had reached her top. After Falling into you/ABM/grammys/Let's talk about love/MHWGO, she couldn't go higher. She was topping the industry, a world-wide pop star, considered the best singer, broke many records, won an oscar (technically not her but still)... She managed to stay on top till her sabbatical.
So I think René was right to put that Vegas stunt. She was an icon. Celine wanted stability. Not touring anymore. She didn't even want to record Let's talk about love and go touring so soon after the succes of FIY - but René knew it was her momentum and not the moment to step down. Knowing she couldn't be that high in the sky for so long (and that she didn't want the industry permanent sprint to go on) he opted for Vegas, building a shift from pop star status to Legend.
Let's remember Celine always said she wanted a career, not hits. She had hits in the 90's (and worked constantly and exhaustingly for making them), now she wanted the career (and the family).

Vegas WAS the best option for making all of that work together, and building the legend status since the charts weren't that big anymore. She wouldn't have had more top 10 hits (in the US, the most important and influencial market in the western world), she wouldn't have been the biggest star like before.

NOW, that doesn't mean all Vegas was perfect. It is true that it isolated her from the rest of the world and close many many doors for side projects. We all know how she struggled with her voice during this era. She left sprint races for a marathon!
The MAJOR problem was the number of shows each year, tiring her and keeping her from other opportunities, combine with the exclusivity contract - but we can understand Casear's Palace take on that, considering how much they invested.

Releasing a Queen Tribute or a spanish album? :sofunny:
Are you high? Yes, she said she wanted to. And yes, it would have been a perfect side project (I'm all for a spanish-speaking tribute to Queen! ^_^  ). But when she took time for a vegas-bypass project, what did she do? Miracle!
A great way to resonate with teen or young adult audiences! :clap: Do toddlers buy CDs? Well, their mothers already were, so what was the point?
That was apparently what she wanted to do - since she non-stopped talking abour motherhood from the first day she returned to the limelight. So I'll never believe that, without Vegas, she would have done those albums. Which is a shame. Or is it, considering the 'quality' of the Show must go on single and the non-original renditions of Queen's covers during TCWT?
:hmm:

Besides, I happen to think that sliding from power ballads to uptempo (or mid) songs was a move that speeded up her downfall chart-wise. The ANDHC album debuted very big and ended with awesome sales - mostly due to her typical audience wanting a new CD. And yes, because the single ANDHC was a good song. But it was an AC hit, not a top 40 hit. That says so much.
Imagine if I surrender came out in 2002? Considering the many contestants from audition shows covering it, considering it's a highlight from AND since day 1, considering it's a classic Celine power ballad... Evanescence and Avril Lavigne's ballads did very well at that time.

So I reject this ANDHC world tour, keep AND in the ranks (but with far less shows), and realease I surrender (though I don't know as first single, or second, but maybe as a lead in early 2003 for a re-release of ANDHC to promote AND).

Edited by JulienMcbeal, 12 January 2019 - 10:04 AM.

Posted Image

ordinary fan

ordinary fan

Celine Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
    • Member ID: 36,922
  • 339 posts
  • Born: 1999

View PostJulienMcbeal, on 12 January 2019 - 10:00 AM, said:

I think many of you are way too optimistic of what her career would have been without A New Day. :cry:

Yes, they would have extend the album life span by releasing more singles, but would that really have been a game-changer? Were Goodbye's and At Last succesful? Hey, were ANDHC and IA THAT succesful?
Sure, it did well on AC charts, some songs even breaking records (including One Heart's (!) Have you ever been in love).
But ANDHC only reached 22 on Billboard Hot 100 (while the airplay only TTWII reached #6) and I'm Alive reached #6... on the AC chart! (11 on bubbling under Hot 100...).
Sure, IA scored in Europe. But not that big, skimming through its wikipedia page makes clear it charted for approximatively 10 weeks in most countries.

I don't know the evolution of this album's sales through 2002, but it was basicaly done by the end of year (maybe even the summer)? Why rushing a new album  (with rejected songs from ANDHC) to promote AND otherwise? Needless to say One Heart topped the charts only in a few european countries.

So obviously, her sales/airplay was beginning to decrease (I'm talking about charts mainly, not pure sales number, cause we all know CD sales were dropping more and more each year for the industry at that time). I'm really not convinced she gained so many younger fans during the first years of the 2000's. Charts (before the Vegas residency) already show otherwise. She already had less success.

René knew during the late 90's that Céline had reached her top. After Falling into you/ABM/grammys/Let's talk about love/MHWGO, she couldn't go higher. She was topping the industry, a world-wide pop star, considered the best singer, broke many records, won an oscar (technically not her but still)... She managed to stay on top till her sabbatical.
So I think René was right to put that Vegas stunt. She was an icon. Celine wanted stability. Not touring anymore. She didn't even want to record Let's talk about love and go touring so soon after the succes of FIY - but René knew it was her momentum and not the moment to step down. Knowing she couldn't be that high in the sky for so long (and that she didn't want the industry permanent sprint to go on) he opted for Vegas, building a shift from pop star status to Legend.
Let's remember Celine always said she wanted a career, not hits. She had hits in the 90's (and worked constantly and exhaustingly for making them), now she wanted the career (and the family).

Vegas WAS the best option for making all of that work together, and building the legend status since the charts weren't that big anymore. She wouldn't have had more top 10 hits (in the US, the most important and influencial market in the western world), she wouldn't have been the biggest star like before.

NOW, that doesn't mean all Vegas was perfect. It is true that it isolated her from the rest of the world and close many many doors for side projects. We all know how she struggled with her voice during this era. She left sprint races for a marathon!
The MAJOR problem was the number of shows each year, tiring her and keeping her from other opportunities, combine with the exclusivity contract - but we can understand Casear's Palace take on that, considering how much they invested.

Are you high? Yes, she said she wanted to. And yes, it would have been a perfect side project (I'm all for a spanish-speaking tribute to Queen! ^_^  ). But when she took time for a vegas-bypass project, what did she do? Miracle!
A great way to resonate with teen or young adult audiences! :clap: Do toddlers buy CDs? Well, their mothers already were, so what was the point?
That was apparently what she wanted to do - since she non-stopped talking abour motherhood from the first day she returned to the limelight. So I'll never believe that, without Vegas, she would have done those albums. Which is a shame. Or is it, considering the 'quality' of the Show must go on single and the non-original renditions of Queen's covers during TCWT?

Besides, I happen to think that sliding from power ballads to uptempo (or mid) songs was a move that speeded up her downfall chart-wise. The ANDHC album debuted very big and ended with awesome sales - mostly due to her typical audience wanting a new CD. And yes, because the single ANDHC was a good song. But it was an AC hit, not a top 40 hit. That says so much.
Imagine if I surrender came out in 2002? Considering the many contestants from audition shows covering it, considering it's a highlight from AND since day 1, considering it's a classic Celine power ballad... Evanescence and Avril Lavigne's ballads did very well at that time.

So I reject this ANDHC world tour, keep AND in the ranks (but with far less shows), and realease I surrender (though I don't know as first single, or second, but maybe as a lead in early 2003 for a re-release of ANDHC to promote AND).
I can´t agree more with you!

maki_Dion-er

maki_Dion-er

Celine Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Member ID: 37,012
  • 1,329 posts
  • Local time: 12:21 AM
  • Born: 1990
I have to agree with JulienMcbeal. AND isn't responsible for her career not being bigger after the 90's/00's. And if any album was to get her a younger audience (which I think she always had) it would be Taking Chances and LMBTL imo, not ANDHC.
AND did keep her too busy with too many shows. If any residency would be questioned I think it'd be "Celine". While I love it I feel like she could have done more if she hadn't taken on a second residency (at least not one lasting longer than the first). But, alas, Celine agreed to it.
It is what it is. I just hope that after it ends she uses the free time for some fun things, for her and fans.

Also, I think Celine doesn't get enough credit for AND happening . Had it not been for Celine who had the idea of a cirque type show then Rene wouldn't have had the idea to make the deal in Vegas. She also put in so much work, it was so demanding but she did it, and then she went into a year long world tour. The stamina she has never ceases to amaze me.

Javito

Javito

Retiens-moi

• Channel Addicts
  • 12,945 posts

View PostJulienMcbeal, on 12 January 2019 - 10:00 AM, said:

Couldn't disagree more with you. Vegas was the best option on a personal level and for her plans with family and stability, but for her career, there's much to question about that decision. Vegas gave her all to her family, but it was the main reason and obstacle which stopped many things and projects to happen. It cut off all of a sudden the amazing exposure she was having on every media, progression of a great album and huge demand and renewed popularity that she was enjoying e-ve-ry-where in 2002, only to be enclosed on an exclusive place and refuse countless projects afterwards. And in my opinion, it killed her international career in a moment where her expansion and popularity was bigger than ever (proof is that she was played on radios everywhere literally).

And yes, ANDHC (single) and I'm Alive were that successful :rolleyes: In fact these are her last global hits and the last two immediately recognisable singles of Céline Dion everywhere, followed only by IDAN. So in my book, they were that big :innocent: Of course nobody here is talking about GTSW, everyone knows Sony Music f***** it up sending the worst radio-friendly song on the album for a single to radios, so no need to trash this year 2002 with that particular single because we all know there were great and far better songs on the album to be singles.

So yes, 2002 album was that big... After 2003, everything changed, on her radio demand, on the interest she received from the public and on every level... for worse.

I ask you a question, was the 2002 momentum ever repeated again after Vegas??? And talking about music reasons please (not the stupid fashion show display of her summer tours :doh: ). You know the answer is negative, so I wouldn't underestimate what she achieved in 2002 and the unstoppable progression of her career in that year.

I don't want to start a debate of things that have been discussed a hundred times here. Every fan that lived the 2002 year knows what I'm talking about, and every fan knows how it all changed after that and how things started to mess up over and over again, with every album and single released once she was in Vegas. Need to say no more :)

View Postmaki_Dion-er, on 12 January 2019 - 02:21 PM, said:

I have to agree with JulienMcbeal. AND isn't responsible for her career not being bigger after the 90's/00's. And if any album was to get her a younger audience (which I think she always had) it would be Taking Chances and LMBTL imo, not ANDHC.
AND did keep her too busy with too many shows. If any residency would be questioned I think it'd be "Celine". While I love it I feel like she could have done more if she hadn't taken on a second residency (at least not one lasting longer than the first). But, alas, Celine agreed to it.
It is what it is. I just hope that after it ends she uses the free time for some fun things, for her and fans.

Taking Chances sound wouldn't have had a chance in 2002 to be successful, not with Céline. And besides it wasn't the trend and it would have been totally shocking for the public to hear Céline rocking that way after All The Way album!

Edited by Javito, 12 January 2019 - 04:12 PM.

andhcv8.jpg

JulienMcbeal

JulienMcbeal

Celine Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
Of course the 2002 'momentum' wasn't repeated after that year; mainly because this moment wasn't nearly as big as the skyrocketing success she had in the late 90's, despite her exposure in 2002, so the industry saw it and took note.
:pinch:

ANDHC was her last hurrah, that failed to repeat her previous success. In 96-99 she was everywhere. She sold 60 million albums in 4 years. In 2002, sales were immediately huge, then decreased quickly comparing to the lasting charting period of FIY and LTAL. That means the album sold on her name only and thanks to the 2 year wait. Not due to the 'success' of her new singles.
ANDHC single and IA weren't as successful as were MHWGO, TPOL, IACBTMN, ABM, BYLM or even TTWII (and I don't think we can call them global hits - ANDHC is an AC hit and IA a 'some countries' hit - if she still sing it everywhere it's because she loves it, as she does for Love can move mountain :wacko: ).
Look at the charts: those songs aren't as big as her 90's hits. And it has nothing to do with Vegas - especially if she was, as you perceive, everywhere in 2002.

I lived through the 90's success, and when she returned in 2002, I remembered noting she wasn't as huge, radios didn't played her that much anymore (at least in France) and I had to admit at that time that charts (worldwide) weren't as successful as before.
Was she in every media? That's debatable, it is based purely on memories, so impressions only, cause we can't have real numbers to compare. But Celine was touring the planet from march 96 to december 99 (with one year without touring from july 97 to july 98).
Would an ANDHC world tour have helped her going back up in the charts? Maybe. Not so sure - Vegas (for One Heart) & TCWT didn't do that much, despite their success.

In the US, FIY was the third most sold album of 96. And was still the third most sold in 97. In 98, LTAL was the second most sold album of the year. What was the ranking for ANDHC in the year-end chart of 2002? #18. What a momentum comparing with before...

Sales worldwide?
The Eminem show, released in 2002, sold (as of now) more than 30 million copies (in the likes of FIY and LTAL).
Lavigne's Let Go, released in 2002, sold (as of now) more than 20 million copies (in the likes of ATW and TCOML).
Celine's ANDHC, released in 2002, sold (as of now) 12 million copies (in the likes of... D'eux!)

Radios and the industry realising the demand was down for Celine in 2002, they didn't do much for IDAN (not even mentioning how bad the single is, how ridiculous partnering with Chrysler was, how lame her performance in NBC Today...). Then only AC radios picked up HYEBIL (which makes total sense).

It is intellectually easier to blame Vegas for everything. But every single number proves that 2002 wasn't nearly as strong as 96-99. It was the beginning of the end. Vegas accelerated the downfall for sure, but it did not created it. It began earlier. If one thing, the sabbatical broke the machine - and when she came back there wasn't as much interest in her as before. It seemed that she was still hot for some weeks, but it rapidly descended. Every delusional fan can believe in bad faith she was as big in 2002 as she was in 96-99. Numbers prove otherwise.
Though it's still a mystery to me how that 2002 Grammy dress got best dressed nods while the Oscars' Yves Saint-Laurent tuxedo was frowned upon. But that's another subject!
:flowers:

Posted Image

Javito

Javito

Retiens-moi

• Channel Addicts
  • 12,945 posts
Julien, Céline's presence and demand in TV and radio shows in Europe in 1996 or 1999 wasn't nearly as close as what happened in 2002, when she was requested to be on every TV show in every European country, something that didn't happen before :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Yes, her popularity skyrocketed in the States during 1998, and that's where her main popularity was exploding, but it only was confirmed in Europe in 1999 with the pop hit TTWII and confirmed in 2002 with ANDHC. Before the boom of her uptempo singles in 1999 and 2002, in 1998 she still was "the singer of Titanic" for most European countries, but in 2002 everyone knew who Celine Dion was without labelling her "the singer of Titanic".

You think she wasn't literally everywhere in 2002? You should check news archives like the website Celinemaniacs, with updates about her in press, TV and radios almost on a daily basis every month throughout the promotion of ANDHC, to prove yourself wrong dear. And this exposure never happened with any of her albums before in Europe, nor FIY, nor LTAL, nor ATW... but it did with ANDHC :bye1:

It is intellectually easier to blame Vegas for everything. But every single number proves that 2002 wasn't nearly as strong as 96-99. It was the beginning of the end. Vegas accelerated the downfall for sure, but it did not created it. It began earlier. If one thing, the sabbatical broke the machine - and when she came back there wasn't as much interest in her as before. It seemed that she was still hot for some weeks, but it rapidly descended. Every delusional fan can believe in bad faith she was as big in 2002 as she was in 96-99. Numbers prove otherwise.

If numbers proved a decline in sales, it wasn't only for Céline but for everyone and every other singer in the industry, and that was all due to piracy striking hard those years, with CDs being made with an advert on the covers warning not to play the CD on your computer because it could crash it.

Again, you focus comparisons with the performance in the US, forgetting about the rest of the world, and the great performance of the album in the whole Europe. US is not the world, and when Celine was skyrocketing with FIY and LTAL in the States, she still was reaching many countries in Europe where she had never been invited to promote her music before, but she did with ANDHC.

You can tell everything you want about numbers (which doesn't prove anything about the success and quality of an album), but facts are that if you ask the general public about the last hits they remember of Celine Dion, they all remember A New Day Has Come and I'm Alive, but they can't say a word about I Drove All Night, Taking Chances, and let alone LMBTL. Those are the facts that count in the end, not sales or numbers, which are very relative. But if you care that much about numbers, please take into account that ANDHC was a number one album in nearly 20 countries. What does sales have to say against that? :bye1:

Edited by Javito, 13 January 2019 - 07:44 AM.

andhcv8.jpg

Celine Fan 77

Celine Fan 77

Celine Worshipper

• Channel Addicts
  • 6,777 posts
Here's my big question: When did she first announce that she'd be doing a residency show in Las Vegas? I just checked the website Javito mentioned above and a magazine from February of 2002 already talked about it...

Edited by Celine Fan 77, 13 January 2019 - 07:49 AM.

Blog.png

Davey84

Davey84

a prince among men

• Super Moderators
  • 25,263 posts

View PostJulienMcbeal, on 13 January 2019 - 07:10 AM, said:

Of course the 2002 'momentum' wasn't repeated after that year; mainly because this moment wasn't nearly as big as the skyrocketing success she had in the late 90's, despite her exposure in 2002, so the industry saw it and took note.
:pinch:

ANDHC was her last hurrah, that failed to repeat her previous success. In 96-99 she was everywhere. She sold 60 million albums in 4 years. In 2002, sales were immediately huge, then decreased quickly comparing to the lasting charting period of FIY and LTAL. That means the album sold on her name only and thanks to the 2 year wait. Not due to the 'success' of her new singles.

Of course sales of ANDHC decreased, but that was because they stopped promoting it! all her previous albums had at least 5 singles. ANDHC only had 3... one of them being the worst evah!

Songs like RIFOY, SFL and IS could have been hits. Big power ballads might have been done by that time, but IS is performed so many times in talent shows... for a song that wasn't a single, that's quite impressive. Plus the live video had been watched 33 million times on YouTube. Imagine what a real music video could have done.

My point is . . . With more good singles from the album, without Vegas getting in the way... it would have sold more.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

Posted Image

Javito

Javito

Retiens-moi

• Channel Addicts
  • 12,945 posts
Thank you Davey... The voice of common sense most of times here :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Right on spot about the singles thing, Sony totally killed it with the release of GTSW instead of single-material tracks like RIFOY, WTWOLYR (killer track for radios and remixes) and the obvious SFL (which was anticipated to be a single in the press releases of the album), even Super Love was a radio friendly song and that's why it was released in the international edition of the album. And then it was the short number of singles released, when Shania's Up album had up to 8 singles released until right through 2004, and some of her fellow Divas Live partners like Anastacia's "Freak Of Nature" had 6 singles (selling less than half of Céline's album!!) and Shakira's "Laundry Service" had another 6 (selling 13 million copies worldwide, almost same as Céline's album!!). Cher's "Living Proof" album also had 6 singles... Céline just 3. It's a ridiculous amount for those days, for an album that was performing so good worldwide -specially in Europe- and full of radio friendly songs :doh:

So what does sales numbers have to say here? Less-selling and similar-selling albums than Céline had way more singles than her album! This is just another proof that sales and figures is a ridiculous debate most of times to talk about the success and popularity of an album.

It's an obvious thing, but let the blind be blinded if they want :doh:

Edited by Javito, 13 January 2019 - 09:07 AM.

andhcv8.jpg

JulienMcbeal

JulienMcbeal

Celine Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
error.

Edited by JulienMcbeal, 13 January 2019 - 09:18 AM.

Posted Image

Leo

Leo

Celine Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
    • Member ID: 3,712
  • 499 posts
  • Local time: 11:21 PM
ANDHC did really well in Europe and Canada during the first 6 months. In the USA, it managed to sell over 2.6 million copies in 2002, which was nothing to be ashamed of. You can't compare every album's sales to those of FIY and LTAL. After the summer it fell off the charts because of the way they decided to kill the album to pave the way for "One Heart" which wouldn't have existed if a world tour had been scheduled for 2003. A tour could have pushed sales of the album further since albums still managed to sell pretty well at that time.

I guess that the tour would have looked like the Taking Chances tour in terms of the places she visited. Her management made it look like the South African leg was record-breaking but if we take a look at the Pollstar figures, it was far from being a sell-out and it seems impossible to reach the 300,000 tickets sold they announced. I suppose she could have done a lot better there and in Australia in 2003. She could have packed stadiums all over Europe because of the cancelled shows in 1999.

Artistically, I think it would have been similar to her previous tours but I can't imagine her including dancers like in 2008.

Leo

Leo

Celine Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
    • Member ID: 3,712
  • 499 posts
  • Local time: 11:21 PM

View PostJavito, on 13 January 2019 - 08:48 AM, said:

Thank you Davey... The voice of common sense most of times here :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Right on spot about the singles thing, Sony totally killed it with the release of GTSW instead of single-material tracks like RIFOY, WTWOLYR (killer track for radios and remixes) and the obvious SFL (which was anticipated to be a single in the press releases of the album), even Super Love was a radio friendly song and that's why it was released in the international edition of the album. And then it was the short number of singles released, when Shania's Up album had up to 8 singles released until right through 2004, and some of her fellow Divas Live partners like Anastacia's "Freak Of Nature" had 6 singles (selling less than half of Céline's album!!) and Shakira's "Laundry Service" had another 6 (selling 13 million copies worldwide, almost same as Céline's album!!). Cher's "Living Proof" album also had 6 singles... Céline just 3. It's a ridiculous amount for those days, for an album that was performing so good worldwide -specially in Europe- and full of radio friendly songs :doh:

So what does sales numbers have to say here? Less-selling and similar-selling albums than Céline had way more singles than her album! This is just another proof that sales and figures is a ridiculous debate most of times to talk about the success and popularity of an album.

It's an obvious thing, but let the blind be blinded if they want :doh:

A New Day Has Come sold 7 million copies in just two months due to high anticipation... the first two singles did have an impact even though they didn't sell much, we can tell by the views the videos currently have on You Tube.

JulienMcbeal

JulienMcbeal

Celine Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
Oh, I don't deny she had exposure in 2002.
But most of this exposure was precisely because of the success of My heart will go on, since ANDHC was her first real new international album following Let's talk about love. Indeed, between LTAL and ANDHC, we had a french album, a Christmas album and a best of album (which she quickly promoted by saying everywhere she wanted to grow tomatoes).

Was this exposure bigger than the late 90's? I don't know. You can't compare in good faith the possibily of archiving 2002 articles with 1998 articles. Everything changed. That's also why it was the worst possible time to go on a sabbatical. Besides, as I said, she was touring everywhere in 96-99, which gave her a massive exposure worldwide.

What do sales have to do with the success of an album? seriously? :w00t:
And I wasn't comparing ANDHC sales with her previous albums sales, I specificaly wrote that albums sales were dropping for everyone at the time. That's why I chose to focus on Chart positions. But I mentionned two 2002 albums that sold WAY more than ANDHC. Quality is more subjective, so I'm not talking about that. I'd just say that Let go is a good album imo. So is Living Proof . Not so much for Up!

Yes, they stopped promoting it. Why? Because it did not translate into charts positions / sales. So what's the point, when ANDHC and IA success was mixed. At least in the US, which I intentionnaly chose to focus on  - as Sony and Celine's team obviously did, probably, yes, because of Vegas the next year. But I tend to think it always was a wrong trope of them during her career.
Yes, the first month, ANDHC sales and chart positions were huge. I also already acknowledged that. Quality has nothing to do with her being #1 in 17 countries the first week. I said the start of the album was strong and huge due to her name and previous success, due to anticipation, then dropped because of the mixed succes of the singles. And that's why they stop promoting it. If the album was still strong (or at least in their commercial projections, cause it's the way industry works), they DEFINITIVELY would have realeased more singles. And would not have rushed a new rejected songs filled album (One heart) to promote AND. Since, as many said, other artists with far less sales had way more (correctly chosen) singles. Especially Cher, whose album only sold 1 million copies (but hey! it did gave us the Farewell tour! :clap: ).

"but facts are that if you ask the general public about the last hits they remember of Celine Dion, they all remember A New Day Has Come and I'm Alive".
So? It's her last hits, ok. That doesn't change the fact (as you put it) that those 'hits' were less succesfull than her previous ones. Despite the massive exposure you brought up (which I don't deny). Before Vegas prevented her to promote it correctly.
Sony wouldn't invest again and again when the numbers didn't add up with their EXPECTATIONS. Because, as you said,numbers are relatives. They obviously expected better results with Celine, as they supported in better ways other artists. It is true other artists have been more supported by Sony. And don't argue with that. It is a long-time truth that got us all worked up many times! lol
I just guess they were expecting more with this album. I don't deny the album was a success. It sure was. But it was not as big as her previous success (chart-wise). She wasn't at the top of things like before. Which is totally normal.
So I don't think Vegas was the reason for her failing to stay on top. It sure didn't help.
Concerning I'm Alive, it was a huge success in France for example (and yes some other countries), for which she's been consistently mocked ever since here! :w00t:

I agree they choose the singles poorly. They should have picked Reveal instead of IDAN if they wanted a pop-dance song. Not releasing I surrender. Choosing quick and cheap success with I'm your angel instead of trying to make a new Christmas classic with CE or GBUE. Not releasing To love you more internationaly. And so on...

As for the ANDHC world tour... Celine sure didn't want it. She even tried to pull the plug from AND! As someone said, without René, she probably would have waited till René-Charles was 6 before reappearing in the eyes of the world. ;)
And had her done that, waiting that long, how she would have returned in 2008? A classic album or a so-called edgy one like Taking Chances? I don't know, but maybe waiting more instead of coming back a little bit "out of step" with the music world in 2002 would have done good for her career? I don't know. It might have estasblished her somewhat of a Legend the way vegas did. Or completely make her irrelevant. I don't know, but it would have been interesting.

Edited by JulienMcbeal, 13 January 2019 - 10:13 AM.

Posted Image

Dion my heart Barbra

Dion my heart Barbra

Celine Fan

• Members
  • PipPip
    • Member ID: 25,706
  • 54 posts
TCOML and FIY had already made her top star in Europe, before Tianic, thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

This topic has been visited by 88 user(s)

brendanhirt, Celine-Express, Bruno Dion, Gab's alive, ChuChu, LeeSC81, Javito, Leo, tiniann88, Celine Fan 77, Celinex, minolli, jpatdeleon09, nuts2you, Katie, couldawouldashoulda, Remon, Ukrfan, Mynameiswhatever, ivo, comingback, nowanorris, Daysleeper, Frenchie, giannislyber, Holborn, alextrusca, BartFCS, Taking Chances, JulienMcbeal, Davey84, duri, ordinary fan, frana, anewdayhascome, isabel leite, scielle, dawn, twk3395, Nautanick, québecflower, krazy_kool_dude, LeChauffeur100, rpopowski, Loup_garou, Peppercorn1991, jwawesomepanda, smash, ssummer, ryba, Rachel_5, jonny823, brendanm999, Black Kitten, MistaChanel, joc13, Moleque20, celinecolombian, Modesta, stone, MaxRayÎles, remykyes, DionFanAlways, Shamrock_1982, AidenAiena, CelineDionForeverNY, Joe, bilinkew, Julianne, Kian, WCD199317, Xpresso, Alex_Incognito, CSCfan, No1IrishFan, Zofia, Critiaslux, Nmj, Overjoyed, selsdion, pepillo90, Lolo88, Jackie, woodstock, maki_Dion-er, jmiracle, Domi, debora

Administrators: Koolan & Bellamy