Las Vegas Shows  

Welcome to Celine Dion Forum

Welcome to Celine Dion Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Celine Dion Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
  • Click here to become a member!

Céline part of Grammy's Tribute to Aretha Franklin singing A Change Is Gonna ComeSpecial to be aired on: March 10th 2019 on CBS 9PM

667 replies to this topic

smw

smw

Celine Addict

• Channel Addicts
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Member ID: 5,519
  • 3,601 posts
  • Local time: 03:59 AM
  • Skin: Celine 2016
  • Born: 1987

View PostNmj, on 27 December 2018 - 05:26 PM, said:

I have never heard Aretha say she loved Celine. Just saying.

I’m sure Aretha looked at Celine as a kid. Her respect belonged to folks like Ella Fitzgerald. :)

gafsa

gafsa

Celine Obsessed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Member ID: 13,739
  • 2,503 posts
  • Local time: 03:59 PM
  • Born: 1985
I don't like her, even when she's already dead I can not pretend to love her nor respect her.

Nmj

Nmj

Celinephile

• Channel Addicts
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Member ID: 11,244
  • 10,633 posts
  • Born: 1989

View Postsmw, on 27 December 2018 - 05:28 PM, said:

I’m sure Aretha looked at Celine as a kid. Her respect belonged to folks like Ella Fitzgerald. :)

She has said in one of her late interviews that she loved Adele, Mariah and Whitney.  All of these are in Celine’s generation and Adele younger.

Edited by Nmj, 27 December 2018 - 08:49 PM.

maki_Dion-er

maki_Dion-er

Celine Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Member ID: 37,012
  • 1,895 posts
  • Born: 1990
She did sing two of Celine's song though, so there was some respect and admiration for Celine.

I'm glad we're starting off the year with a new tv performance. Hopefully there are more to come in the rest of 2019.

jpatdeleon09

jpatdeleon09

Céline Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Member ID: 24,762
  • 5,975 posts
  • Local time: 04:59 PM
  • Born: 1993
I hope she could go to Oscars too

Oscars
MET Gala
AMA
WMA

All award shows

Also
Oprah show
Ellen show
etc.

Cameos

pat200

pat200

Celine Addict

• Channel Addicts
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Member ID: 2,307
  • 3,197 posts
  • Local time: 12:59 AM
  • Born: 1982
i would much rather have her sing at the actual grammies a new song than go on that grammy tribute side show again!!! and sing to another legend. she is becoming this generation's patti labelle, as in paying tribute to all the legends, and no one paying tribute to her.

Dion2000

Dion2000

Celine Obsessed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Member ID: 36,911
  • 2,490 posts
  • Local time: 09:59 AM
  • Born: 2000

View Postpat200, on 28 December 2018 - 01:44 AM, said:

i would much rather have her sing at the actual grammies a new song than go on that grammy tribute side show again!!! and sing to another legend. she is becoming this generation's patti labelle, as in paying tribute to all the legends, and no one paying tribute to her.

Well yeah cause Celines not dead yet......

The Bee Gees was a thing for their anniversary considering hes the only one left too

But Celine will have a HUGE tribute when she (not for many years yet) passes

Peppercorn1991

Peppercorn1991

Kev

• Donators
    • Member ID: 13,305
  • 6,111 posts
  • Local time: 08:59 AM
  • Born: 1991
Is it not a honour that Celine is always asked to sing tributes to the big stars?  Celine is on of the biggest artists with one of the most recognisable, big voices there is....  no wonder she is always asked!

Kev x

Shamrock_1982

Shamrock_1982

Celine Worshipper

• Channel Addicts
    • Member ID: 6,793
  • 7,387 posts
It’s great she’s there but as others said I hope she don’t play it safe and boring and turn up to do NBW.

Aretha has many songs and Celine’s probably the most famous and greatest voice at this tribute, so try something new.

I just want next year to start off with a better start than this year did from her. I know she was sick etc which is fine, but I somehow think that’s she’s lost a bit of drive this year, so next year is a new year and time to start fresh and get back in there. A lot to look forward to next year... new album, end of Vegas, possible mini tour and god knows what else.

I want to be sick of seeing and hearing from her come this time next year lol.
For Sale: Please PM me if interested! :)
Posted Image

Peppercorn1991

Peppercorn1991

Kev

• Donators
  • 6,111 posts

View PostShamrock_1982, on 28 December 2018 - 08:07 AM, said:

It’s great she’s there but as others said I hope she don’t play it safe and boring and turn up to do NBW.

Aretha has many songs and Celine’s probably the most famous and greatest voice at this tribute, so try something new.

I just want next year to start off with a better start than this year did from her. I know she was sick etc which is fine, but I somehow think that’s she’s lost a bit of drive this year, so next year is a new year and time to start fresh and get back in there. A lot to look forward to next year... new album, end of Vegas, possible mini tour and god knows what else.

I want to be sick of seeing and hearing from her come this time next year lol.

I agree.... I’m sure she just wants to wrap up Vegas now so she can do new things..... I hope the best is yet to come...

Kev x

DionFanAlways

DionFanAlways

This woman, Legendary

• Channel Addicts
    • Member ID: 31,854
  • 15,689 posts
  • Born: 1965
Of course she’s going to do Natural Woman. Now the thing I would love to see her do is participate with the others and join in if they do a group. In other words, not leave immediately after her part.

Hey the RHs tweeted that she was listening to “Chain of Fools” earlier so maybe it’s a sign!

(Now how they knew that, I don’t know.)
How could you not love this woman!

"All it takes is one bold move to change everything."  

ordinary fan

ordinary fan

Celine Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Member ID: 36,922
  • 576 posts
  • Born: 1999
I´m fine if celine sings natural woman, because she hasn´t sung it since when, 1997? Anyway it´s been a while and if she will sing it, maybe it will become part of her vegas show too, it would be a change many here are hoping for

Peppercorn1991

Peppercorn1991

Kev

• Donators
  • 6,111 posts

View Postordinary fan, on 28 December 2018 - 09:29 AM, said:

I´m fine if celine sings natural woman, because she hasn´t sung it since when, 1997? Anyway it´s been a while and if she will sing it, maybe it will become part of her vegas show too, it would be a change many here are hoping for

Exactly.... what better tribute to Aretha than the song they both sang together on stage and the song she recorded....

Kev x

ordinary fan

ordinary fan

Celine Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

View PostPeppercorn1991, on 28 December 2018 - 09:33 AM, said:

Exactly.... what better tribute to Aretha than the song they both sang together on stage and the song she recorded....

Kev x
yes, I mean it just would make sense, because this song relates to them both, but let´s see...

felicia

felicia

Celine Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Member ID: 14,112
  • 1,301 posts
  • Local time: 10:59 AM

View PostDionFanAlways, on 28 December 2018 - 09:10 AM, said:

Of course she’s going to do Natural Woman. Now the thing I would love to see her do is participate with the others and join in if they do a group. In other words, not leave immediately after her part.

Hey the RHs tweeted that she was listening to “Chain of Fools” earlier so maybe it’s a sign!

(Now how they knew that, I don’t know.)

Someone Made a Celine listening to this song on spotify account for fun...

The account tweeted that she was listening to Aretha and  RH’s quoted it for fun...
Looking for Celine gifs ? check my channel https://giphy.com/ch...inediongifmaker
Posted Image

Tom_London_Fan

Tom_London_Fan

Celine Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
    • Member ID: 37,043
  • 150 posts
  • Born: 1996
I don’t really mind which of Aretha’s songs she performs, I just want her to be in good shape vocally so she can deliver to a high standard. She’s certainly the biggest star performing on the night and her performance should reflect this. If ever there was a time to completely blow everyone away, this is it 👌🏻

Javito

Javito

Retiens-moi

• Channel Addicts
    • Member ID: 6,419
  • 13,555 posts

View PostPeppercorn1991, on 28 December 2018 - 07:59 AM, said:

Is it not a honour that Celine is always asked to sing tributes to the big stars?  Celine is on of the biggest artists with one of the most recognisable, big voices there is....  no wonder she is always asked!

Kev x

A honour is also to be asked and collaborate with the artists you say you love while they're still alive... eg. Whitney Houston (coughs), Adele (coughs), Bruno Mars (coughs)...

Not that the two later won't never happen, but she has always fangirled so much about Whitney Houston, yet she never performed with her, either on studio or live on a show. Wouldn't be great if she had more collaborations with the hot artists she constantly says she admires on interviews, instead of waiting to say "she/he was so great and I was a big fan" when this or that big name has passed away??? :hmm:

elle3.jpg

"Hush, now... I see a light in the sky"

smw

smw

Celine Addict

• Channel Addicts
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Member ID: 5,519
  • 3,601 posts
  • Born: 1987

View PostTom_London_Fan, on 28 December 2018 - 01:58 PM, said:

I don’t really mind which of Aretha’s songs she performs, I just want her to be in good shape vocally so she can deliver to a high standard. She’s certainly the biggest star performing on the night and her performance should reflect this. If ever there was a time to completely blow everyone away, this is it 👌🏻

Agreed. Celine is an Icon paying tribute to another Icon.

I hope they treat her like the biggest star there! #respect

If Celine doesn’t do a huge vocally demanding song, she could take another approach in order to blow everyone away and sing a very understated interpretation of one of Aretha’s songs. Just let that iconic tone of Celine’s shine through!

For me, what separates someone like Celine and Whitney from Aretha and Patti is the tone of their voices. Celine sounds so pretty & angelic when she sings — and she ALSO possesses the ability to blow the roof off a venue. Whereas Aretha was all power but her tone never really sounded “pretty” like Whitney and Celine’s voices.

Edited by smw, 28 December 2018 - 03:15 PM.

mirage

mirage

Celine Addict

• Channel Addicts
    • Member ID: 112
  • 7,767 posts
  • Local time: 10:59 AM
  • Born: 1985
Since all the media has an eye on whatever Céline is doing I'm hoping she will slay!
And for me that's a vocally demanding song. Her last 'performances' on TV were mostly slow 'easy' songs.

Can't believe it's a year since she was on TV. Hoping we get to see her more the next year.
Also with her own songs on awards shows :wub:

fred

fred

It's a beautiful day

• Channel Addicts
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Member ID: 276
  • 4,593 posts
  • Born: 1925
As much as I'd adore for her do any other song than NW and hear her do a new Aretha tune I do think it would be smartest of her to actually do NW. That way the non fans can easily get a recording of that song if/when they're blown away by her performance.
Peace and love to all.

scielle

scielle

Celine Worshipper

• Members
    • Member ID: 34,929
  • 7,386 posts
Natural Woman would be great and would make a lot of sense.
There's the Carole King connection, with them both having worked with her, and the fact that she has recorded it and her version is, to this day, one of the preeminent versions of the song. Plus it's a great vehicle for Celine's vocals - perhaps not at the level she did it in the 90's, but I think/ hope, she can still pull it off with aplomb.

Peppercorn1991

Peppercorn1991

Kev

• Donators
  • 6,111 posts
I wonder how much Celine practices for her performances nowadays.....  I hope she does practice the harder parts of the song and if she can’t reach it the same way now.... change it a little..

Kev x

Tyler1991

Tyler1991

Celine Wannabe

• Channel Addicts
    • Member ID: 22,364
  • 4,494 posts
Natural woman would be better as a closing song with all paying tribute too, almost like divas 1998. I have a hard time imagining celine doing it solo. If she does, i don't see the same arrangement from FIY being performed. Way too demanding and its too "pop" of an interpretation..if she sings this i bet (similarly to the sinatra special) the original arrangement will be used.

All i know is if i hear playback at this tribute i will scream at my tv and turn it off in shame, just like the 2007 world music awards. Not the time for that crap. Aretha certainly never did. I hope we get a power performance!

Edited by Tyler1991, 29 December 2018 - 01:42 PM.

comingback

comingback

Celine Obsessed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Member ID: 1,619
  • 2,206 posts
  • Born: 1979

NW would be a great choice for a tribute to the Queen of Soul.

Edited by comingback, 29 December 2018 - 02:08 PM.

Dion2000

Dion2000

Celine Obsessed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,490 posts

View PostTyler1991, on 29 December 2018 - 01:42 PM, said:

Natural woman would be better as a closing song with all paying tribute too, almost like divas 1998. I have a hard time imagining celine doing it solo. If she does, i don't see the same arrangement from FIY being performed. Way too demanding and its too "pop" of an interpretation..if she sings this i bet (similarly to the sinatra special) the original arrangement will be used.

All i know is if i hear playback at this tribute i will scream at my tv and turn it off in shame, just like the 2007 world music awards. Not the time for that crap. Aretha certainly never did. I hope we get a power performance!

If Celine does NW, id much rather hear it like how Arethas original sounded. Just celine and Scott on the piano. Singing it without all the acrobatics

However if she does decide to do it in the FIY version, it will most likely be pre recorded in the studio before the performance and lipped to, if so, it will probably be added to the vegas show, keeping the playback

However if Celine did it live in the FIY arrangement... even if its a key or 2 lower, id still lose it because it would show that shes still as hardcore as she was in the 90s

Edited by Dion2000, 29 December 2018 - 02:52 PM.

ordinary fan

ordinary fan

Celine Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

View PostDion2000, on 29 December 2018 - 02:50 PM, said:

If Celine does NW, id much rather hear it like how Arethas original sounded. Just celine and Scott on the piano. Singing it without all the acrobatics

However if she does decide to do it in the FIY version, it will most likely be pre recorded in the studio before the performance and lipped to, if so, it will probably be added to the vegas show, keeping the playback

However if Celine did it live in the FIY arrangement... even if its a key or 2 lower, id still lose it because it would show that shes still as hardcore as she was in the 90s
but if she decides to do the FIY version and go in the studio to record her vocals before the TV special, I wouldn´t care about it so much, because it would be still her very current vocals of this year or next year, even though it would be a playback performance at the TV special. In 2016 TSMGO performance was playback and I didn´t know about it until a few weeks ago, but it was her recent voice, so I´m okay with it. And I will be okay with a playback performance, it´s her recent voice, we do hear, if it´s from this day or a week earlier doesn´t matter for me that much. :)

Edited by ordinary fan, 30 December 2018 - 06:56 AM.

Tyler1991

Tyler1991

Celine Wannabe

• Channel Addicts
    • Member ID: 22,364
  • 4,494 posts

View Postordinary fan, on 30 December 2018 - 06:51 AM, said:

but if she decides to do the FIY version and go in the studio to record her vocals before the TV special, I wouldn´t care about it so much, because it would be still her very current vocals of this year or next year, even though it would be a playback performance at the TV special. In 2016 TSMGO performance was playback and I didn´t know about it until a few weeks ago, but it was her recent voice, so I´m okay with it. And I will be okay with a playback performance, it´s her recent voice, we do hear, if it´s from this day or a week earlier doesn´t matter for me that much. :)

This line of thinking is why i become disinterested in celine's tv performances these days..too much misperception that fake is okay.

Dion2000

Dion2000

Celine Obsessed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,490 posts

View PostTyler1991, on 30 December 2018 - 04:30 PM, said:

This line of thinking is why i become disinterested in celine's tv performances these days..too much misperception that fake is okay.

“Fake is okay”

Im sorry, believe what you want. But to call it fake is crazy  to me. ITS STILL HER VOICE, RECORDED VERY VERY RECENTLY. Like its not as if shes hiring someone else to sing it for her or to auto tune the hell out of it.

The simple fact is, people have expectations

When the GP goes to see Celine, or tunes in to see Celine, they want to hear her as CLOSE to the OG as possible. For example, my mother is a big fan of TLYM, when she watched TLYM on Youtube from 2018, she was unimpressed.

Many people ive seen on social media who are casual listeners, complain when she isn’t literally identical to the studio version. Even the media, puts severe strain on performers to be flawless 24/7, especially someone with Celines status and reputation as a vocalist

Playback is mostly used for preservation, yes. But a prime example of when Celine herself wanted to use it for reasons like keeping up appearances was October 2016. I saw comments all over the internet EVEN ON CELINE FORUMS, saying that her voice was shot, she needs to give it up, if she cant sing it perfectly dont sing it at all, why bother etc.

The amount of pressure on her is immense, that was one of the reasons why in October 2016 she added 3 sets of playback within days of each other because she was getting so much crap for it, some of the hate i saw on her performances of MHWGO in Sept/Oct 2016 was HORRENDOUS. The worst ive ever seen. Even the audience, if you watch videos, a lot didnt even clap or stand up or be as loud as usual... it saddened me and probably saddened her too.

even vocalists like Barbra Streisand, someone who ive never seen fail vocally, got extreme anxiety and would use playback (very very little amounts)  in the later years of her career because she was so scared of the media and the audiences perception of her.

Not to mention that many people here would say “we dont care how she sounds, we’d just care that it was honest”. Well we only make up 5% of her fanbase, hardcore fans. Even less in terms of her concert goers, most of whom only know the big hits

The truth is, if she was singing 100% live, not only would her voice begin to give out after 2 shows, she would also face EVEN MORE PRESSURE. Constantly worried about how it would turn out. The GP would also criticise the fact that no matter how hard Celine tried, she could never at 50 years old, replicate the insanely hard vocals of those big hits which often are over 15-20 years old

. If Celine was lipping for these reasons at 30, no way shes gonna start singing 100% at 50

Okay rant over lol

maki_Dion-er

maki_Dion-er

Celine Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Member ID: 37,012
  • 1,895 posts
I don't care if she lips, as long it's well covered. For instance the 2016/2017 billboard performances, I originally thought TSMGO was live but even though it's not I still go back & watch it all the time because she gave a great performance and it looks live. Same for the 2017 MHWGO (pretty sure she did as always where she lips only the climax), I love watching it.

It would be amazing if she sings her tribute live, but I would have no problem if she records a track to use for playback.

Was her performance for the Bee Gees tribute live? Because she was amazing in that one as well.

Dion2000

Dion2000

Celine Obsessed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,490 posts

View Postmaki_Dion-er, on 30 December 2018 - 06:43 PM, said:

I don't care if she lips, as long it's well covered. For instance the 2016/2017 billboard performances, I originally thought TSMGO was live but even though it's not I still go back & watch it all the time because she gave a great performance and it looks live. Same for the 2017 MHWGO (pretty sure she did as always where she lips only the climax), I love watching it.

It would be amazing if she sings her tribute live, but I would have no problem if she records a track to use for playback.

Was her performance for the Bee Gees tribute live? Because she was amazing in that one as well.

Bee Gees was 100% live

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

This topic has been visited by 282 user(s)

idroveallnight, Emi1, noyau, Celinex, Zofia, nowanorris, cdurand54, joaofilho, pat200, DionFanAlways, Katie, Dane, québecflower, Critiaslux, ivo, Mark_Rdam, manolo19, VikingSwe, HushNow, karalayna, tessika, Ororo Munroe, Joe, isabel leite, Javito, scielle, felixwhoals, twk3395, duchess83, TommKat22, Peppercorn1991, CelineDionForeverNY, stéph14, Cuchi, Holborn, CSCfan, Jackie, couldawouldashoulda, Davey84, pepillo90, mdion2006, duri, stone, winforlife, explosives124, Nmj, jwawesomepanda, Sosof12, rhapsodion, celinecolombian, Xpresso, dyusha, ordinary fan, Celine Fan 77, celinefanonline, dawn, nuts2you, Remon, smw, mariox, Henri, Domi, ruimarques, giannislyber, anewdayhascome, Sonia Descheneaux, Flymetothemoon, jpatdeleon09, rpopowski, chinit0, Taking Chances, ryba, Loup_garou, raga14cahya, Miha, Ben, vincz, Johnny79, Boy, minolli, mattia, isurrender, donpi86, Rea, KCM, Ajax, justinecoria, BartFCS, Lolo88, Ronny83, PaulTo, Daysleeper, alextrusca, stevo, brendanm999, actofcontrition, GameC, LVCeline, CelineTheBest5, tiniann88, maria_k, josedion1999, AlberDR2, Duchess, Bruno Dion, maki_Dion-er, jolo87, Dertz1, ferjaacu, JP, CelineAndRene, WendyB, Niko's, Naiomi zhannah, andreaaas, celine_rox, DestinMg5, krazy_kool_dude, yoyoma, selsdion, comingback, Moleque20, jbechs, bgcalde, jaapjan, Edgar14, jmiracle, ChuChu, Banpyun, celinefilo, gafsa, PC_59, Del, JesusZuñigaR, manu23, chs, Thnswlsn25, brendanhirt, LeChauffeur100, medley, celinesounds, celine28, danger, MTJ, iza, béné, celine19, cher&celinefan, Céline Fan, chawatak, marc-02, karen5, mebe, emmanuel, wjd, markg, garçon, hala, Angel2006, Schwa83, Ukrfan, celfan123, Vale.Dion, Bartholdemus, Kong, bilinkew, No1IrishFan, Kian, frankster, roro, federico, sweden, pame-65, lyn, Alex_Incognito, ika, max24, Thinktwicefan, MrTim212, Nautanick, JulienMcbeal, Flaca, Rachel_5, CELINO, RosieBarron, browseceline, Shamrock_1982, vlad, frana, Modesta, Dancing_Queen, tristan.josef, maikan, emi&celine, fanatik, Squall, Celine-Express, ajguerras, abadi, rodrigo, Julianne, Matias, n1ko, Rodrigo in Brazil, biscuit2, Jascka01, hugo020, PriscillaBarragan, GIORGOS, vincentbonvegna, delta, woodstock, Igor_Moscow, Ejion, remykyes, Kristinaz, Dion2000, jdlyden1, Vole, banananas, aileejang05, klmalling, vojva, Your_Su_Phu, bourque222, Javier_Natalio, angelil78, clbmed02, aaa.bcd642, soso12, Maxim Kuliev, sander21, Ginahall218, fred, célinedionfan_16, somaltseva, Black Kitten, ssummer, Fanxiaoqiang, xTheGoodBoyx, empress, Lotty, felicia, soleil, sfbaysinger, agentwigs, meow, commoncommoncommon, azlan, MaxRayÎles, luigimanzanares, CertPharmT15, lime89, MistaDorn, I Drove All Night!, CelineGAfan, Marthe23, andrecb, Frozen_Phoenix, Tom_London_Fan, debora, Frenchie, guigafs15, Tricey3115, takeachance, Shaun, MaiconSC, Cuquito, LcMason, Allysadreams, superibi, IamRha, MistaChanel, CDion05, shaimaa, bronzey, tomier, joc13, CelineIloilo, your_light, cuntrulu, Bruno Portugal

Administrators: Koolan & Bellamy