Las Vegas Shows  

Welcome to Celine Dion Forum

Welcome to Celine Dion Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Celine Dion Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
  • Click here to become a member!

The Celine musical/ Possible Cirque du Soleil tribute in Amphitheatre Cogeco in 2018Celine on Broadway and related projects

33 replies to this topic

scielle

scielle

Celine Worshipper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Member ID: 34,929
  • 5,753 posts
  • Local time: 02:12 AM
  • Skin: Celine 2016
  • Born: 1982

With the recent announcement of Gilles Ste-Croix joining Celine's team, ostensibly with the mandate of developing a musical, thought we might want a dedicated thread.

Granted, these things take years to develop, and a vast majority of musicals in development stage - even with deep-pocketed and well-connected producers - never see the light of day.

While I think there are a lot of places this can go very wrong (it all hinges on a good book and writing team), it can also work out rather well for Celine. Really curious to see what comes of it!

CelinesDIVO5

CelinesDIVO5

Celine Worshipper

• Channel Addicts
    • Member ID: 4,616
  • 6,370 posts
  • Born: 1986
Meh...

Celine has had a great life and a fantastic career. I just don't think it makes good for a stage or the screen to be honest with you. She's been very lucky and has worked VERY hard. But when people watch the story of a famous figure, they want to see struggle. While Celine never gave up and was persistent in everything she did, she was also very lucky. There's a difference between hard work and a struggle. I don't believe Celine had the latter, up until just the past couple of years with Rene, and of course with his first battle with cancer. Everything else was fairytale and there's really nothing new or interesting that a director can bring to the stage or screen about Celine's life. We already know everything they would use to tell her story.

Edited by CelinesDIVO5, 20 November 2016 - 09:57 AM.

Matthew Charles - "Fix You" - Live at The Stonewall Inn

Stonewall Sensation - Season 15

Originally written and performed by Coldplay

scielle

scielle

Celine Worshipper

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
Don't disagree, but I still think there's enough there to give this some legs, if handled right.  Probably light for a proper film treatment, but more than enough for a solid musical, especially if they focus on the early days.

I suspect the blueprint they'd be after is something like Gloria & Emilio Estefan or Carole King bio-musicals currently on Broadway. On Your Feet! has been well received, and Beautiful is doing brisk business (and has won Tony, Drama Desk, Grammy and Olivier awards). And I don't think either of their stories are that much more fascinating than Celine's.

Keep in mind that a) Gilles Ste-Croix is the co-founder of Cirque do Soleil and b ) Cirque recently launched a musical theater division here on Broadway (currently producing Paramour).  So that seems like a very natural fit for a production partner.

And with Amelie, the musical, coming to Broadway soon, there'll be some more French-inspired content.

The massive success of Hamilton has brought Broadway back to popular consciousness in a big way and I'd argue the Tonys are easily the best major award show on TV these days (and James Corden hosting last year was genius).

And let's not forget that lots of Broadway artists worship at the altar of Celine - remember this?

Edited by scielle, 20 November 2016 - 10:28 AM.

CelinesDIVO5

CelinesDIVO5

Celine Worshipper

• Channel Addicts
    • Member ID: 4,616
  • 6,370 posts
  • Born: 1986

Voir le messagescielle, le 20 November 2016 - 10:20 AM, dit :

Don't disagree, but I still think there's enough there to give this some legs, if handled right.  Probably light for a proper film treatment, but more than enough for a solid musical, especially if they focus on the early days.

I suspect the blueprint they'd be after is something like Gloria & Emilio Estefan or Carole King bio-musicals currently on Broadway. On Your Feet! has been well received, and Beautiful is doing brisk business (and has won Tony, Drama Desk, Grammy and Olivier awards). And I don't think either of their stories are that much more fascinating than Celine's.

Keep in mind that a) Gilles Ste-Croix is the co-founder of Cirque do Soleil and b ) Cirque recently launched a musical theater division here on Broadway (currently producing Paramour).  So that seems like a very natural fit for a production partner.

And with Amelie, the musical, coming to Broadway soon, there'll be some more French-inspired content.

The massive success of Hamilton has brought Broadway back to popular consciousness in a big way and I'd argue the Tonys are easily the best major award show on TV these days (and James Corden hosting last year was genius).

And let's not forget that lots of Broadway artists worship at the altar of Celine - remember this?

Carole King's life is actually quite interesting. Read her memoir. It is excellent.

"On Your Feet" is fantastic, more for the music than the story.

I'm dying to see "Paramour." I heard it's pretty amazing.

Matthew Charles - "Fix You" - Live at The Stonewall Inn

Stonewall Sensation - Season 15

Originally written and performed by Coldplay

chocolatechip15

chocolatechip15

Celine Addict

• Channel Addicts
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Member ID: 30,818
  • 3,154 posts
  • Local time: 01:12 AM
I think there is enough of the dramatic in Celine's life to make a musical . . .certain things would be played up, but I think it's totally doable.

Starting out with the little girl, unhappy and unpopular in school, who gets her joy through singing (uptempo opening song) . . . the drama early on with the family's piano bar being destroyed in a fire and the little girl being devastated (another song).  It sets the scene at the beginning.

Young girl has her first successes and falls in love with older man, who tries to resist it for a long time and finally gives in. They keep their love secret from the public for years, to the girl's disappointment. (There's room for lots of love songs here).

The man has cancer scare; the girl has to really grow up for the first time and be the strong one. (Maybe intermission here).

The man recovers, couple has baby (sing: ANDHC).

The man becomes sick again; this time he dies and the wife is devastated but vows to go on for their children and even for herself. The show closes with a moving rendition of MHWGO.

I think it's totally doable. What would be amazing (but will never happen) is a bilingual version that also shows her French career and being the first Quebecois artist to make it big around the world. That's such a big part of the Celine story.

Anyway, ,a musical would just have to be done well. Not like that HORRIFIC TV movie that cut out the French part altogether, and cast a Celine and Rene with ZERO chemistry. (ugh, i saw an interview with the guy cast as Rene, and he basically said he thought the love story was gross because of the age difference. Seriously? THAT'S who they cast? I hate that movie sooo much).

isabel leite

isabel leite

Celine Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Member ID: 35,747
  • 822 posts
  • Local time: 10:12 PM
  • Born: 1966

Voir le messagechocolatechip15, le 21 November 2016 - 07:37 PM, dit :

I think there is enough of the dramatic in Celine's life to make a musical . . .certain things would be played up, but I think it's totally doable.

Starting out with the little girl, unhappy and unpopular in school, who gets her joy through singing (uptempo opening song) . . . the drama early on with the family's piano bar being destroyed in a fire and the little girl being devastated (another song).  It sets the scene at the beginning.

Young girl has her first successes and falls in love with older man, who tries to resist it for a long time and finally gives in. They keep their love secret from the public for years, to the girl's disappointment. (There's room for lots of love songs here).

The man has cancer scare; the girl has to really grow up for the first time and be the strong one. (Maybe intermission here).

The man becomes sick again; this time he dies and the wife is devastated but vows to go on for their children and even for herself. The show closes with a moving rendition of MHWGO.

I think it's totally doable. What would be amazing (but will never happen) is a bilingual version that also shows her French career and being the first Quebecois artist to make it big around the world. That's such a big part of the Celine story.

Anyway, ,a musical would just have to be done well. Not like that HORRIFIC TV movie that cut out the French part altogether, and cast a Celine and Rene with ZERO chemistry. (ugh, i saw an interview with the guy cast as Rene, and he basically said he thought the love story was gross because of the age difference. Seriously? THAT'S who they cast? I hate that movie sooo much).
I liked your ideas about the play, It would be great of course if they focused on her French career too. About the HORRIFIC  tv movie, I watched that interview and was totally irritated with that actor , and with what he said, not to mention that he isn`t a good actor, Ive seen him in other tv shows. I totally agree with you , a terrible movie.
In my point of view her story would make a great musical, as long as its well cast and well done.

flutefreak

flutefreak

Celine Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Member ID: 32,245
  • 1,873 posts
  • Local time: 12:12 AM
  • Born: 1979

Voir le messagechocolatechip15, le 21 November 2016 - 07:37 PM, dit :

I agree 100% on all points. Don't even get me started on the actor who played René in that awful movie...

stone

stone

Celine Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Member ID: 7,312
  • 838 posts
  • Born: 1984
If they dramatize Celine taking a break from her French career to do a complete image makeover, musical makeover, teeth fixed all while learning English in rapid speed, to get signed to Sony Music I think it would be great.  Sony Music was the company of Michael Jackson and Barbra Streisand.  Then while her career change is going full steam ahead, so isn't the unconventional relationship that affected her and Rene that they had to keep it a secret until she broke down.  I guess they can even bring of iMama Therese in because she is her mom and was beyond LIVID because she thought Rene went beyond respectful boundaries.  Her in Dublin, competing in Eurovision, and winning by one point, and also that one first kiss that started this relationship could also be a good part two. Timeline to her being open about wanting a child and not being able to conceive and took a hiatus and went through invitro all while plotting the unprecedented decision to become a Vegas headliner.  Everyone and the industry thought they were nuts, and building the Coliseum, and so forth and it becoming so successful leading to Vegas becoming what it is, she's the first to do it.  All of this while having twins, suffering a miscarriage of the third, several rounds invitro, Rene's second cancer relapse, her father passing, then Rene's passing and her brother within 2 days.  Sounds like a great third act.
The final act is Celine alone, but strong and motivated on her own moving forward.

scielle

scielle

Celine Worshipper

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
To be fair, faulty as it was, the thing that bio-pic did right was to focus on the early days. Everything after the major commercial breakthrough is not nearly as interesting from the story-telling perspective as the journey up to that point.

And on a separate but related note, whether this stage production ever sees the light of day, there's another far more likely option here.
While she has stated she has no interest (nor probably time!) for a live stage musical, I can totally see Celine signing up for one of these live TV musical things! It's a one-time commitment, substantial TV audience, and she'd be great!  She's so naturally theatrical, and everyone know she can bring it, live.

After all, there's a serious resurgence of live TV musicals happening right now.
They're right up there with major sporting events as 'appointment TV', draw great ratings, and tend to go viral on social media.

22 million viewers tuned into Sound of Music Live! on NBC.

Then there was Peter Pan Live, and later The Wiz Live!, co-produced by Cirque du Soleil Theatrical, which got a boatload of awards (and starred Ne-Yo, Common, Mary J Blige, Queen Latifah).

Hairspray Live! is coming to NBC in Dec (with Ariana Grande, Jennifer Hudson, Rosie O'Donnell, among others).

FOX did Grease: Live (10 Emmy nominations) and is planning another live musical in 2017.

Jennifer Lopez just signed on to do Bye Bye Birdie live for NBC next Christmas.

ABC is reportedly developing a live TV Disney musical for 2017.

Bottom line: Live TV musicals are totally IN and I'd love to see Celine do one!

Edited by scielle, 21 November 2016 - 11:59 PM.

scielle

scielle

Celine Worshipper

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
OMG this is so sad. Cirque just had another fatality and the victim was Gilles Ste-Croix' son...

www.latimes.com/local/la-me-ln-cirque-du-soleil-death-20161130-story,amp.html

québecflower

québecflower

Celine Worshipper

• Channel Addicts
    • Member ID: 29,419
  • 5,968 posts
  • Born: 1967

Voir le messagescielle, le 30 November 2016 - 05:47 PM, dit :

OMG this is so sad. Cirque just had another fatality and the victim was Gilles Ste-Croix' son...

www.latimes.com/local/la-me-ln-cirque-du-soleil-death-20161130-story,amp.html

awful :down:
Plus qu'ailleurs  , but now Si c'était à refaire  , i still love tant de temps....

scielle

scielle

Celine Worshipper

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
So I went to BroadwayCon today (Yes, such a thing exists! Think ComicCon & replace the Manga costumes with Hamilton-wear and voila! I mean, I like my musical theatre, but this was a whole other level of obsessed!)

Anyway, was pleasantly surprised that the sheet-music both had lots of Celine songbooks, alongside the usual Broadway fare. Clearly lots of love for Celine in that community. Interesting that a lot of the attendees seemed to be teenage girls... hardly a Celine-loving crowd, one would think. And yet they sang their hearts out in the On Your Feet sing-along (the Gloria & Emilio Estefan show) so who knows.

Josh Groban was there (currently starring in Natasha, Pierre & the Great Comet of 1812), as was Frankie Grande.

And I met Jeremy Jordan! You know this one -

Edited by scielle, 29 January 2017 - 11:23 PM.

stevo

stevo

Celine Wannabe

• Channel Addicts
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Member ID: 1,224
  • 4,959 posts
  • Local time: 07:12 AM
Love Jeremy! Good work :P
Instagram @stephen___________

Unisono

Unisono

Celine Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
    • Member ID: 35,009
  • 326 posts
Jeremy is great!!!!

A cause, A cause

A cause, A cause

Celine Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
    • Member ID: 31,280
  • 125 posts
  • Born: 1983
Why does the musical have to be about her? Why couldn't they just do one with a fictional story woven around some of her biggest hits? Is it called a jukebox musical? I know there is the Queen one, a Rod Stewart one and a few others?

scielle

scielle

Celine Worshipper

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
So this year Cirque du Soleil is doing a special Luc Plamondon show. Last year they did one based on the the songs of Robert Charlebois. (Both held at Cogeco amphitheater, where Celine played last year.)
Then of course there are the resident Beatles and MJ shows in Vegas (and an Elvis tribute show they did in the past).
Surely it's only a matter of time before they do a Celine show like the ones above. Wouldn't make sense to do one in Vegas while she's still playing there (why see a tribute show when you can see the real thing?), but it's begging to be done, and I think they might do a seasonal thing in Quebec like they did with Plamondon & Charlebois.

scielle

scielle

Celine Worshipper

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
Here's an excerpt from that Cirque du Soleil show based on Luc Plamondon songs.

I seriously can't wait for a Cirque-meets-Celine show. Two best things about Quebec coming together. Would be a dream.

broadwaymike92

broadwaymike92

Celine Fan

• Members
  • PipPip
    • Member ID: 23,794
  • 63 posts
  • Born: 1992

Voir le messagescielle, le 29 January 2017 - 11:23 PM, dit :

So I went to BroadwayCon today (Yes, such a thing exists! Think ComicCon & replace the Manga costumes with Hamilton-wear and voila! I mean, I like my musical theatre, but this was a whole other level of obsessed!)

Anyway, was pleasantly surprised that the sheet-music both had lots of Celine songbooks, alongside the usual Broadway fare. Clearly lots of love for Celine in that community. Interesting that a lot of the attendees seemed to be teenage girls... hardly a Celine-loving crowd, one would think. And yet they sang their hearts out in the On Your Feet sing-along (the Gloria & Emilio Estefan show) so who knows.

Josh Groban was there (currently starring in Natasha, Pierre & the Great Comet of 1812), as was Frankie Grande.

And I met Jeremy Jordan! You know this one -

Jeremy Jordan is the best and I saw ON YOUR FEET recently. So excited for the Celine Musical if it's true. I'm an aspiring Broadway performer myself so to be part of it would be amazing.

broadwaymike92

broadwaymike92

Celine Fan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Voir le messageflutefreak, le 21 November 2016 - 09:17 PM, dit :

I agree 100% on all points. Don't even get me started on the actor who played René in that awful movie...

I hated the Celine movie they did about her life. Half the facts and the songs she sang in her beginning were false. None of French songs that were replaced with these random English songs. She was speaking mainly fluent French and didn't speak English full out in the time of the UNISON album, etc.

THIS TIME I'M GOING ON HIGHER ABOVE THE CLOUDS ON FIRE..... I do not remember that song being recorded by Celine!!!

celine4evauk

celine4evauk

Celine Worshipper

• Channel Addicts
    • Member ID: 18,981
  • 6,451 posts
  • Born: 1978

Voir le messagebroadwaymike92, le 29 August 2017 - 07:15 AM, dit :

I hated the Celine movie they did about her life. Half the facts and the songs she sang in her beginning were false. None of French songs that were replaced with these random English songs. She was speaking mainly fluent French and didn't speak English full out in the time of the UNISON album, etc.

THIS TIME I'M GOING ON HIGHER ABOVE THE CLOUDS ON FIRE..... I do not remember that song being recorded by Celine!!!

Because the film wasn't official, perhaps they didn't get/have permission to use the correct songs. I hope one day there is an official film. Done right it could be amazing. A lot of people would find out so much about Celine, her career, work ethic etc

scielle

scielle

Celine Worshipper

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
Told ya!
Cirque du Soleil extended their deal with Amphitheatre Cogeco and Celine's name is already being thrown out there as a potential subject of next year's Cirque tribute show (along with Claude Dubois & Jean-Pierre Ferland) - http://www.journalde...es-jusquen-2024

Davey84

Davey84

a prince among men

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Member ID: 4,296
  • 25,366 posts
  • Local time: 08:12 AM

scielle, on 01 October 2017 - 07:30 PM, said:

Told ya!
Cirque du Soleil extended their deal with Amphitheatre Cogeco and Celine's name is already being thrown out there as a potential subject of next year's Cirque tribute show (along with Claude Dubois & Jean-Pierre Ferland) - http://www.journalde...es-jusquen-2024

I wouldn't mind a tribute. But a musical about Céline's life... no way!

Posted Image

Rick, ik hou van jou voor altijd!

A New Day... has come 28/29 April & 2/3 May 07

Antwerpen 13 et 14 mai,Paris 24 et 25 mai, Amsterdam 2 juinet Arras 7 juillet Chances Taken!!!

How Do You Keep The Music Playing? - Celine Opening Night March 15th, March 16th

celinesounds

celinesounds

MY NEW SINGLE OUT NOW

• Channel Addicts
    • Member ID: 7,841
  • 6,421 posts
  • Local time: 08:12 AM
  • Born: 1981
i'd love a new show with Celine and Franco Dragone :wub:

NEW SINGLE - PT

scielle

scielle

Celine Worshipper

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
So Cirque announced their next summer tribute show will be based on Les Colocs - http://ici.radio-can...irque-du-soleil

scielle

scielle

Celine Worshipper

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
So I finally caught NBC's live production of Jesus Christ Superstar from several weeks ago. (Which was great, by the way. Casting was perfect here  - John Legend, Sara Bareilles, Alice Cooper, among others. If you're in the US, you can watch it here: https://www.hulu.com...live-in-concert
But also, still can't get over the fact that the man responsible for one of the best musicals ever - Tim Rice - is also the man behind that eeeek English version of Ziggy...)

And man, I would so love Celine to do one of these live TV musicals.

Edited by scielle, 21 April 2018 - 08:41 AM.

broadwaymike92

broadwaymike92

Celine Fan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
If this happens EVENTUALLY (since its now 2019) as a aspiring Broadway performer myself, I'm down into getting cast.

scielle

scielle

Celine Worshipper

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

broadwaymike92, on 11 January 2019 - 07:59 PM, said:

If this happens EVENTUALLY (since its now 2019) as a aspiring Broadway performer myself, I'm down into getting cast.

Haha, well, this kind of thing certainly seems to be in vogue now.

At the moment, there's The Cher Show (I believe Pepe's friend(s) might be in it?), Beautiful (about Carole King), the Jagged Little Pill musical (yep, Alanis on Broadway), Ain't Too Proud (about The Temptations), and Springsteen on Broadway (not a musical, but a "music & story" show, which was super successful). Probably more that I'm forgetting!

Celine's songs & story make perfect fodder for a musical... I'm convinced it's just a matter of time!

scielle

scielle

Celine Worshipper

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
Add to the list an MJ musical, just announced - https://www.rollings...roadway-783277/

broadwaymike92

broadwaymike92

Celine Fan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
I've seen BEAUTIFUL and THE CHER SHOW.... both amazing shows. Funny with BEAUTIFUL is that my one confession is that I wish they incorporated THE REASON into the show. Carole wrote that for Celine!!!

scielle

scielle

Celine Worshipper

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

scielle, on 11 January 2019 - 08:32 PM, said:

Haha, well, this kind of thing certainly seems to be in vogue now.

At the moment, there's The Cher Show (I believe Pepe's friend(s) might be in it?), Beautiful (about Carole King), the Jagged Little Pill musical (yep, Alanis on Broadway), Ain't Too Proud (about The Temptations), and Springsteen on Broadway (not a musical, but a "music & story" show, which was super successful). Probably more that I'm forgetting!

Celine's songs & story make perfect fodder for a musical... I'm convinced it's just a matter of time!

Well this is interesting: Live Nation, Araca & EBG Announce Partnership To Stage Limited-Run Broadway Residency Shows
(Of note - EBG was recently spun off from Cirque du Soleil, and its head of production is Scott Zeiger, who formerly headed up Cirque's theatrical division.)

Anyway, with 2 biopics in the works, I don't expect anything Celine-related on Broadway any time soon, but it's interesting to see that Broadway residencies are now "a thing" (Morrissey just recently announced one, btw), right alongside the ever-proliferating jukebox musicals.

Maybe, just maybe, she'll set up shop here at some point - however briefly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

This topic has been visited by 168 user(s)

Celinex, smw, nuts2you, biscuit2, couldawouldashoulda, dawn, CelineTheBest5, Zofia, twk3395, DestinMg5, tristan.josef, Katie, chs, minolli, selsdion, nowanorris, Holborn, joaofilho, Lolo88, québecflower, pepillo90, Sosof12, scielle, duri, isabel leite, Jackie, Davey84, Cuchi, Remon, Nmj, Javito, maki_Dion-er, Ronny83, Loup_garou, Daysleeper, iza, comingback, Peppercorn1991, ivo, delta, empress, celinefanonline, manolo19, maikan, DionFanAlways, GameC, mdion2006, Rea, ajguerras, Boy, Bruno Dion, frana, brendanm999, soso12, Naiomi zhannah, rpopowski, jwawesomepanda, broadwaymike92, Ukrfan, Celine Fan 77, giannislyber, Your_Su_Phu, Critiaslux, RosieBarron, bilinkew, JulienMcbeal, ordinary fan, MistaChanel, béné, commoncommoncommon, karen5, Angel2006, confyde, ogcorp, Modesta, adi dion, Roland61, Taking Chances, cdurand54, liketheair, pat200, CSCfan, chawatak, angelil78, maria_k, Shamrock_1982, celinesounds, Xpresso, wayne0223, winforlife, Lexi, Bruno Portugal, aileejang05, HushNow, jmiracle, Mark_Rdam, pisces0384, Mozzy88, CelineIloilo, sayyed, alextrusca, LeChauffeur100, KCM, stone, Jeff Abbott, littlechap, joc13, Miha, BartFCS, wjd, Alex_Incognito, celinedion87, celfan123, célinedionfan_16, violet, Frenchie, Del, Julianne, CelineDionForeverNY, roro, Sebulba1, SACE, celine19, Ejion, somaltseva, chocolatechip15, Celine-Express, jpatdeleon09, earl36, Nautanick, ElodieJ, Thunder_mesa, hollylou, marif, stéph14, karalayna, 4girlsathome, chrisel, Newbieeee, Milena5, PC_59, A cause, A cause, MaiconSC, fabricio esteves, Dancing_Queen, dodobird, neocshs, Moo112, meow, krazy_kool_dude, Lotty, mar19ieke, Schwa83, TommKat22, mebe, sandro_dunn, mrkase, Daora, donpi86, mc1993, katleen86, Caledor, CELINE MARIE, Gulenkov, Bell, WindyCityCelineFan, MaxRayÎles, vr6chickbeenfound

Administrators: Koolan & Bellamy