Las Vegas Shows  

Welcome to Celine Dion Forum

Welcome to Celine Dion Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Celine Dion Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
  • Click here to become a member!

Céline being cool againA new wave of good press and appreciation

525 replies to this topic

Alice

Alice

Celine Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Member ID: 8,808
  • 816 posts
  • Local time: 08:11 AM
  • Skin: Celine 2016
  • Born: 1986
Seriously?! People buy those things?

Chantemoi

Chantemoi

Celine Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
    • Member ID: 1,842
  • 416 posts
  • Local time: 01:11 AM

View PostAlice, on 09 October 2019 - 01:08 PM, said:

Seriously?! People buy those things?

Yes, they have for quite some time. And I imagine they will continue to do so.

scielle

scielle

Celine Worshipper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Member ID: 34,929
  • 7,441 posts
  • Local time: 02:11 AM
  • Born: 1982
For those in Toronto, the 7th annual Celine Dance Party is back!

Nov 15th, 10pm-3am, Gladstone Hotel Ballroom

https://www.blogto.c...-party-toronto/

"5 HOURS of Céline hits, misses, rarities and remixes for your mind, body and soul with DJ Phillippe.
* Sexy Céline go-go twin dancers!
* Hyper-limited edition Céline Dion T's for the first 100 people.
* Céline swag giveaways!
* Anyone in FULL-Céline drag gets in free"
:-D

(You can click through pics of last year's party here: https://www.facebook...?type=3)

Chantemoi

Chantemoi

Celine Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
That looks SO FUN!!! I can’t begin to imagine an event like happening this 10 years ago. Maybe in Canada, but not in the States. When I lived in Chicago a few years ago, I used to request Céline at gay bars I frequented and the DJs would always be like “she’s got a good voice, but her music isn’t right for a gay club.” No one like her... publicly... and they certainly would never have devoted an entire night to her like Madonna, Britney, Pink, JLo, Mariah, etc.

My how the times have changed :giggle:

Edited by Chantemoi, 09 October 2019 - 07:38 PM.

scielle

scielle

Celine Worshipper

• Members
  • 7,441 posts
Yep!
And, for those not familiar with Toronto, the Gladstone is one of the hippest venues it town.

The DJ who hosts this every year was quoted in this CBC piece around her 50th birthday: https://www.cbc.ca/a...-dion-1.4586433

"Philip Villeneuve, DJ and editor

I started throwing a monthly French dance party called Tapette in Toronto seven years ago. In the early days, Céline was kind of a joke I would slide into sets because I wasn't a big fan and didn't feel like she did the dance floor any favours. Now, this many years later, I throw a yearly Céline Dion dance party.

I've come to love her with all my heart over the years. Something switched for Céline fans and non-fans alike a few years ago, and the central moment I can nail it down to is when "On Ne Change Pas" showed up on Xavier Dolan's Mommy soundtrack. It's like suddenly, a younger generation was allowed to like her. Her songs weren't all cheesy after all. They were heartfelt, beautiful, gut-wrenching and, most importantly, made you want to sing along.

I now get multiple Céline requests every time at every Tapette and am not afraid to play a soaring ballad in the middle of a set because Céline has the power to bring people together. They are joyous, fists-in-the-air anthems about hurt, loneliness, love and power — and thanks to these (and full-disclosure, her new stylist, queer kids have come to fall in love with her. She's real, she's raw, she's ferocious and she knows how to laugh at herself. She's the ultimate Canadian diva and it's about time we all start recognizing it!"

This is his site and he has Celine mixes on there: http://philvilleneuve.com

Edited by scielle, 09 October 2019 - 07:52 PM.

Chantemoi

Chantemoi

Celine Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
Thank you for sharing!

Chantemoi

Chantemoi

Celine Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
I’m kind of obsessed with these silly hipster shirts with Misheard Song titles like TEL EST MON FESTIN, and the newest one, CHAUD MUST GO ON!! 

— Their playful marketing suggests that they are really obsessed with Céline too (or at least making a quick buck off the new and the old hipster fans... like me :lmao:)

https://www.instagra...ton_share_sheet

Edited by Chantemoi, 11 October 2019 - 05:14 PM.

scielle

scielle

Celine Worshipper

• Members
  • 7,441 posts

View PostChantemoi, on 11 October 2019 - 05:14 PM, said:

I'm kind of obsessed with these silly hipster shirts with Misheard Song titles like TEL EST MON FESTIN, and the newest one, CHAUD MUST GO ON!!

— Their playful marketing suggests that they are really obsessed with Céline too (or at least making a quick buck off the new and the old hipster fans... like me :lmao:)

Well, it's an entire Cenile brand. They've been going since 2017. Started promoting really heavily on IG as of the start of this tour though.
https://ceniledion.com/

I've been waiting for Ne Party Pas Sans Moi to be back in stock for a while...

Edited by scielle, 11 October 2019 - 05:23 PM.

marc-02

marc-02

Celine Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Member ID: 725
  • 1,602 posts
They used to be part of a 90s Canadian siblings-boyband Moffats:

Alice

Alice

Celine Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Member ID: 8,808
  • 816 posts
  • Local time: 08:11 AM

View Postmarc-02, on 14 October 2019 - 10:40 AM, said:

That's a no-no for me :D

Chantemoi

Chantemoi

Celine Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts

View Postmarc-02, on 14 October 2019 - 10:40 AM, said:

I would whole-heartedly welcome this style of arrangement for Céline’s performance!! And if it pleases some fans, she can crescendo into the playback version after the bridge. Then we’re ALL winners! :yahoo:

scielle

scielle

Celine Worshipper

• Members
  • 7,441 posts
Yep. Hip hop kids are writing songs about her.

maki_Dion-er

maki_Dion-er

Celine Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Member ID: 37,012
  • 1,901 posts
  • Born: 1990
Is she becoming a music genre/theme? Lol. She truly is savage.

scielle

scielle

Celine Worshipper

• Members
  • 7,441 posts

View Postscielle, on 09 October 2019 - 07:48 PM, said:

Yep!
And, for those not familiar with Toronto, the Gladstone is one of the hippest venues it town.

The DJ who hosts this every year was quoted in this CBC piece around her 50th birthday: https://www.cbc.ca/a...-dion-1.4586433

"Philip Villeneuve, DJ and editor

I started throwing a monthly French dance party called Tapette in Toronto seven years ago. In the early days, Céline was kind of a joke I would slide into sets because I wasn't a big fan and didn't feel like she did the dance floor any favours. Now, this many years later, I throw a yearly Céline Dion dance party.

I've come to love her with all my heart over the years. Something switched for Céline fans and non-fans alike a few years ago, and the central moment I can nail it down to is when "On Ne Change Pas" showed up on Xavier Dolan's Mommy soundtrack. It's like suddenly, a younger generation was allowed to like her. Her songs weren't all cheesy after all. They were heartfelt, beautiful, gut-wrenching and, most importantly, made you want to sing along.

I now get multiple Céline requests every time at every Tapette and am not afraid to play a soaring ballad in the middle of a set because Céline has the power to bring people together. They are joyous, fists-in-the-air anthems about hurt, loneliness, love and power — and thanks to these (and full-disclosure, her new stylist, queer kids have come to fall in love with her. She's real, she's raw, she's ferocious and she knows how to laugh at herself. She's the ultimate Canadian diva and it's about time we all start recognizing it!"

This is his site and he has Celine mixes on there: http://philvilleneuve.com

See stories for photos & videos from what looks like an epic party in Toronto last night!
https://www.instagra...es/dancingphil/

scielle

scielle

Celine Worshipper

• Members
  • 7,441 posts

View Postscielle, on 30 August 2019 - 12:19 PM, said:

I've posted about Tunde Olaniran before (like here and here, for instance).

Well, he played Lollapalooza earlier this month, and did The Song. :-D  

Chantemoi

Chantemoi

Celine Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
Just to mark how far we’ve come since 1997, here’s Observer critic Jonathon Bernstein giving a review/cultural critique on Céline and LTAL.

For the most part, his prediction was spot-on:
“So let’s jump forward 15 years to a time when Celine Dion is considered cool. It will probably take until 2012 for society to have advanced to a point where a public exp<b></b>ression of appreciation for Ms. Dion is not considered an elaborate put-on.“

https://observer.com...be-but-not-now/

I almost cramped up from laughing so hard at his description of the video for Tell Him, “in which Ms. Dion relates to Ms. Streisand like a newly born fawn nuzzling up against its mother... The two singers give each other room to emote, restraining themselves until the final choruses before transforming into something akin to a pair of drunks wrestling over the microphone on karaoke night.“
:roflmao:

Overall, he predicted LTAL would be the least appealing album in her discography. Have to admit, I NEVER listen to that album. There are only 2-3 songs I care for, and some reaaaally cringe moments as far as production goes... to me, it has always had a musty air about it.

Edited by Chantemoi, Today, 12:24 AM.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

4 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

tomier, francois, stone, Chantemoi

This topic has been visited by 420 user(s)

duri, maki_Dion-er, stone, pat200, TommKat22, manolo19, nowanorris, Zofia, sarit_celine, nahuelsc, jwawesomepanda, Naiomi zhannah, nuts2you, Jeff Abbott, Katie, ivo, GameC, rpopowski, isabel leite, PC_59, Frankiboy, québecflower, anewdayhascome, Alice, Dane, scielle, PaulTo, Only one celine, zeopower6, noyau, rfkavanagh, Peter12345, Ejion, MusicCollection, IL_DINO, jpatdeleon09, Alex_Incognito, pepillo90, Celinex, ssummer, DionFanAlways, Nmj, chs, karalayna, Céline RO, Cuchi, manu23, GUSAM28, Ororo Munroe, CSchmidt, ruimarques, Daysleeper, celine_rox, Remon, Peppercorn1991, Critiaslux, Chantemoi, roro, Loup_garou, maria_k, mattia, HushNow, Davey84, wjd, alextrusca, JulienMcbeal, dawn, marc-02, celinesounds, Jackie, ajguerras, hugo020, chinit0, Ukrfan, CelineIloilo, Sosof12, mebe, Flymetothemoon, incognito, celfan123, isurrender, BartFCS, cdurand54, aileejang05, selsdion, CelineDionForeverNY, Schwa83, ryba, minolli, Smart17, Holborn, Joe, jmiracle, Ajax, Taking Chances, Andy Man, Esty, ordinary fan, giannislyber, comingback, lyn, Balao, danger, joaofilho, celinefanonline, Contre Nature, Kian, superibi, iza, couldawouldashoulda, meow, superuomovate, karen5, Domi, takeachance, mdion2006, adi dion, Trombones13, Frozen_Phoenix, donpi86, delta, CSCfan, smw, krazy_kool_dude, KCM, char_celine, sebulba, Celinefan2019, ramonik, Shaun, Cuquito, tonybower, MTJ, ewh12, empress, ChuChu, sayyed, DestinMg5, ika, No1IrishFan, GoldenLeaf, mari2711, Xpresso, Mary17, Modesta, winforlife, Robbie, chawatak, rathnakumar, stevo, Ben, Angel2006, emmanuel, ffgravygirl82, fred, dorfus, LeChauffeur100, duchess83, angelil78, cher&celinefan, Henri, weasley321, bilinkew, trangceline_89, Celine-Fan, Celine Fan 77, brendanm999, Bell, commoncommoncommon, Sonia Descheneaux, Lestat5485, Rea, newday, twk3395, frankster, tomier, Edgar14, emi&celine, Bartholdemus, Mike--Mtl, contre5nature, Del, Enigma2310, mariox, celine19, joc13, Julianne, stéph14, Sebulba1, rachel9767, MaxRayÎles, Charles, fabricio esteves, praetka, Black Kitten, Lexi, AtitanicfanofCelineDion, Derek F., Roland61, gabidion!, liketheair, CelineGAfan, celinespanishfan, CDion05, Ronny83, brujocrow, Bruno Portugal, IamRha, celine28, Ziggy68, suddenly22, cec, Hilda, ARTBOP, Javito, reynolds, Mynameiswhatever, drove all night, SantiagoColorado, Mark_Rdam, Jascka01, celinedionfan1, mike_z, maikan, hollylou, Boy, Your_Su_Phu, Kyle_Jared, MistaChanel, mar19ieke, andreaaas, smash, WCD199317, totallydi, chrisannabanana, max24, loveisontheway, jaapjan, dixieland, Philippe, Nautanick, chocolatechip15, Antonio011, Mozzy88, karebear82, Noid Enilec, célinedionfan_16, katleen86, aniaa19, littlechap, brandon_vincent, SACE, Roxlly, WendyG64, somaltseva, YoungMrsH, tomdalbou, CelineTheBest5, Frenchie, RosieBarron, Audreyhat, felicia, rock6kev, Shamrock_1982, SlovakClark, Pepperpote, anna, nadeennoody, Kerol, 7777, Brandon, noar, Karlijn, Matias, Celine_2533, Cheska, PuraVida, Cafe67, Newbieeee, Marthe23, garçon, Gulenkov, 4girlsathome, Celine-Express, LcMason, *kirstie*, tessika, CelineDionFreak, clarinetgirl91, bourque222, milotjuh, kidy111, dolores, koala44, Duchess, bsj1701, ceon, LukeD, Coronis, dyusha, PatrickDion22, nomys, davidion, FlOR, jbechs, Goffy, earl36, Dionism, bakorder, dj_a_rock, barbaramuranyi, shasti, jepoi, bgcalde, cup99, PriscillaBarragan, MrTim212, browseceline, chrisel, ThisTime, Hjiddosem, Miha, celian, Andlin, debora, RTafuri, idroveallnight, Davenoosa, Ginahall218, superstar85ca, Dominic, medley, celine4evauk, Caledor, Krys, Niko's, annayang, artistman2007, I Drove All Night!, celinish98, crazy4music, celine4eva, Dancing_Queen, westpalm542, kashief, markg, vzon, lucassfilho, tristan.josef, MonDion, seanibreeze, dodobird, Jeffieboi, celinefan2011, Vole, Moo112, enno2007, sander21, Brady, djdanii, Manila, banananas, ilka, Neddo, justinecoria, yellowrose14, CelineVT, sash546, sunnyday, newyorksnl15, Davar, andrecb, StrangeDays, Jessyka, AidenAiena, meanttofly, quebecker, abadi, CelineAndRene, NoamC, phoebekins, changepas39, Scramasboy, clbmed02, klmalling, swimmer, Lotty, sweetlovers1224, homerton, Ncarbia, neil1981, Pangloss76, neilg, natalie_, hala, imaswede78, WindyCityCelineFan, MalaysiaCeline, celine_foreva, Overjoyed, live to love, manilou, teresa3717, Rossum89, $P!K&, the power of celine, Chad-IV, tiniann88, marif, andyw024, actofcontrition, viniscand, lllBeautifulll, amerikevin, Timster, Rachel_5, Magda5, Simon, Milena5, Muppetcanfly1995

Administrators: Koolan & Bellamy